This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, April 30 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- !!! THR!!!ER LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Adventure Weird Work
- The Airborne Toxic Event Such Hot Blood
- Akron/Family Sub Verses
- Alessi's Ark The Still Life LISTEN
- Amorphis Circle
- Avantasia The Mystery of Time
- Beacon The Ways We Separate
- Big Black Delta Big Black Delta
- Big Country The Journey
- Jessica Campbell The Anchor & The Sail LISTEN
- Cathedral The Last Spire
- Cayucas Bigfoot LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Kenny Chesney Life on a Rock
- Coliseum Sister Faith
- Darcy James Argue's Secret Society Brooklyn Babylon
- Daughter If You Leave LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Deep Purple Now What
- The Eagles History of the Eagles 3xBlu-ray/3xDVD
- Home video release of the documentary adds footage from a 1977 concert, among other bonus features
- Hanni El Khatib Head in the Dirt
- Produced by Dan Auerbach
- Guided by Voices English Little League
- Some versions of the album will come packaged with a bonus album, Glue On Bicycle, a compilation of seven recent non-album B-sides LISTEN to the bonus album (The Quietus)
- Hands Synesthesia
- Mick Harvey Four (Acts of Love) LISTEN (3voor12)
- UK release [29 Apr]; will be out in June in the US
- The Haxan Cloak Excavation
- Heaven Shall Burn Veto
- HIM Tears on Tape
- Iggy & The Stooges
Ready to Die LISTEN (3voor12)
- Six years ago, rock legend Iggy Pop reunited with some—though definitely not all—of his one-time bandmates in The Stooges to record the band's first album in 34 years. That effort, The Weirdness 44, was a mixed bag at best, and it clearly didn't live up to the band's legacy. This Tuesday, however, they give it one more try with Ready to Die, and early reviews suggest that the results are greatly improved, thanks in part to the return of original Stooges guitarist James Williamson, who hasn't been heard on record since 1973's Raw Power. Filling in on bass for the late Ron Asheton is Minutemen founder Mike Watt.
- Tom Keifer The Way Life Goes
- Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle Perils From the Sea LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Collaboration between Sun Kil Moon and The Album Leaf leaders
- Lights Siberia Acoustic
- LL Cool J Authentic
- Guests include Chuck D, Seal, Eddie Van Halen, Snoop Dogg, Travis Barker, and Brad Paisley
- Los Campesinos! A Good Night for a Fist Fight
- 21-song live album recorded in 2012; available as a download only direct from the band [4 May]
- Melvins Everybody Loves Sausages LISTEN (3voor12)
- Covers album
- Neon Neon
Praxis Makes Perfect LISTEN (The Guardian)
- Neon Neon is a collaboration between Super Furry Animals frontman Gruff Rhys and producer Boom Bip, who previously united for a supposedly one-off concept album about carmaker John DeLorean, the excellent Stainless Style 78. Five years later, the pair have reunited for a second concept album, this one focusing on the life of Giangiacomo Feltrinelli (an Italian communist, avant-garde publisher, and revolutionary) and featuring a more synth-heavy, Italodisco-flavored sound.
- The Ocean Pelagial
- Os Mutantes Fool Metal Jack
- The Pigeon Detectives We Met at the Sea
- [UK only: 29 Apr]
- R.A. The Rugged Man Legends Never Die
- Randy Rogers Band Trouble
- Alice Russell To Dust
- Jessica Sanchez Me, You & The Music
- Debut for former American Idol contestant
- Solar Bears Supermigration
- Spin Doctors If The River Was Whiskey
- Colin Stetson New History Warfare Vol. 3: To See More Light
- Justin Vernon guests on his Bon Iver bandmate's latest solo release
- Brian Tyler Iron Man 3 OST
- Various Iron Man 3: Heroes Fall (Music Inspired by the Motion Picture)
- Includes tracks by Passion Pit, Neon Trees, Rogue Wave, and Imagine Dragons
- Wolf People Fain LISTEN (3voor12)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Bloodflood" (acoustic version) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Archie Bronson Outfit
- TRACK "I Was A Dead Duck" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Best Coast
- TRACK "Fear Of My Identity" streaming at YouTube.
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
- TRACK "Animal X" streaming at YouTube.
- Clams Casino
- TRACK "Bookfiend" (featuring DOOM) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mikal Cronin
- ALBUM MCII streaming until its 5/7 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Monomania streaming until its 5/7 release at NPR.
- Lana Del Rey
- TRACK "Young & Beautiful" (from the forthcoming soundtrack to The Great Gatsby) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Eve" (feat. Miss Kitty) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Fitz And the Tantrums
- ALBUM More Than a Dream streaming through 5/6 at Hype Machine.
- Girls Against Boys
- TRACK "It's a Diamond Life" (first new single in a decade) downloadable from Stereogum.
- Guided By Voices
- TRACK "Flunky Minnows" downloadable from Stereogum.
- Matthew Herbert
- TRACK "Part One" (from his forthcoming LP The End of Silence) streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Call on Me" streaming at YouTube.
- Natalie Maines
- ALBUM Mother streaming until its 5/7 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Alien Days" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Mac Miller
- TRACK "S.D.S." (produced by Flying Lotus) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Janelle Monáe
- TRACK "Q.U.E.E.N." (feat. Erykah Badu) streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Presets
- TRACK "Fall" downloadable from Rolling Stone.
- ALBUM Silence Yourself (out 5/7) streaming via Matador.
- She & Him
- ALBUM Volume 3 streaming until its 5/7 release at NPR.
- Sigur Rós
- TRACK "Ísjaki" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Still Corners
- ALBUM Strange Pleasures streaming until its 5/7 release at Pitchfork.
- Surfer Blood
- TRACK "Slow Six" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra
- TRACK "Rà-àkõ-st" (Lindstrøm cover) streaming at YouTube.
- The xx
- TRACK "Together" (from the forthcoming soundtrack to The Great Gatsby) streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Soliloquy" streaming at YouTube.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: The Band Perry (Leno), Zac Brown Band (Kimmel), Glossary (Carson Daly), Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite (Letterman), Iggy & the Stooges (The Colbert Report), Old Crow Medicine Show (Conan)
- Tuesday: Band of Horses (Kimmel), Blue Hawaii (Carson Daly), Kenny Chesney (Fallon), Florida Georgia Line (Leno), Paramore (Conan), Phoenix (Letterman; also full concert via Live on Letterman streaming live at 8p ET/5p PT)
- Wednesday: Cheap Trick (Leno), Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (The Colbert Report), Johnny Marr (Fallon), Tom Odell (Letterman), Alice Russell (Kimmel), The Stepkids (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: The Airborne Toxic Event (Kimmel), Atlas Genius (Letterman), Awolnation (Leno), Foals (Carson Daly), Icona Pop (Fallon)
- Friday: Eve (Fallon), Kacey Musgraves (Letterman)
- Saturday: Of Monsters and Men (Saturday Night Live)
Recent artist and industry news
- Country music star George Jones died last week at the age of 81. - New York Times
- The two surviving members of the Beastie Boys have signed a publishing deal with Random House's Spiegel & Grau for a memoir, tentatively set for a fall 2015 release. - New York Times
- Gardeners, take note: plants seem to like Black Sabbath. - The Guardian
The latest music videos
Muse, "Panic Station":
Mount Kimbie, "Made to Stray":
The Pastels, "Check My Heart":
Shout Out Louds, "Illusions":
Thee Oh Sees, "Toe Cutter - Thumb Buster":
Disclosure, "You & Me":
Crystal Castles, "Affection":
Taken by Trees, "Only You":
Colin Stetson, "Among the Sef":
MDNR, "Faster Horses":
In the studio / coming soon
- Britain's These New Puritans return with their first album in three years (Field of Reeds) on June 10th in the UK. A North American release should follow.
- Matthew Herbert will release The End of Silence on June 25th. The three-track album is composed from a 10-second sound recording of war photographer Sebastian Meyer being bombed in Libya in 2011.
- A new Boards of Canada album is coming, perhaps as soon as this summer. The tipoff has been a series of cryptic online clues, as well as a 90-second commercial that aired on Cartoon Network (and an extremely limited edition new single); blog 2020k has all the details and then some.
- After a five-year recording break, Travis will return on August 19 with a new album, Where You Stand. - Billboard
- Of Montreal's next album has been titled Lousy with Sylvianbriar; expect it this fall. - Exclaim!
- TV on the Radio have been recording new music, which will likely be released on TVOTR member Dave Sitek's own label, rather than previous home Interscope. - Spin
- Julianna Barwick has signed to Dead Oceans, and the label will release her next LP, Nepenthe, this August.
- Joseph Arthur has a new album, The Ballad of Boogie Christ, set for a June 11 release. - Consequence of Sound
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Bob Dylan, Wilco, and My Morning Jacket are uniting for a joint tour, called AmericanaramA Festival of Music, this summer. - Billboard
- The Postal Service have added more West Coast dates to their current reunion tour. - CoS
- Also spending time out west this summer is Godspeed You! Black Emperor. - CoS
- Robert Plant is touring North America with his new-ish backing band, Sensational Space Shifters. - CoS
- Billboard has new dates for Black Sabbath's summer tour.
- The xx have scheduled some North American dates for September. - CoS
- Jagjaguwar has fall dates for Unknown Mortal Orchestra.
- The Monkees will tour North America again this summer with all surviving members on board. - Rolling Stone
- Melvins' 30th anniversary tour includes numerous North American stops this summer. - CoS
- UK music festival All Tomorrow's Parties will return with two final holiday editions of the festival in November and December. One will be headlined by Television, performing their classic album Marquee Moon in full. - The Quietus