Because of the Presidents Day holiday, this week's Music Monday appears on a Tuesday. Is that confusing? Perhaps.
This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, February 17 unless otherwise indicated.
Vestiges & Claws LISTEN (Spotify)
Swedish indie-folk artist José Gonzalez has spent the bulk of the past eight years concentrating on his band Junip. But today he returns with his first solo outing since 2007's In Our Nature. González once again produced the new LP himself.
- Adventures Supersonic Home LISTEN (Stereogum)
- The Amazing Picture You LISTEN (AV Club)
- Debut for new Swedish band featuring members of Dungen and Granada
- Axis:Sova Early Surf
- Carl Barât and The Jackals Let It Reign LISTEN (CoS)
- Solo album finds the Libertines member backed by a new band
- Jarren Benton Slow Motion: Vol. 1 EP
- Sir Richard Bishop Tangier Sessions
- Brothers of the Sonic Cloth Brothers of the Sonic Cloth
- Busses Wizard of the Eye
- Glen Campbell Glen Campbell... I'll Be Me OST LISTEN (Spotify)
- S. Carey Supermoon EP LISTEN (Spotify)
- Mini-album contains new versions of songs from Carey's two previous albums, plus a Radiohead cover
- Chelan Equal Under Pressure
- Eric Chenaux Skullsplitter
- The Clang Group The Clang Group EP
- Divers Hello Hello LISTEN (Noisey)
- Drake If You're Reading This It's Too Late LISTEN (Spotify)
- New 17-song "mixtape" (or album, judging from its pricetag) was released last Friday on iTunes without advance warning; Lil Wayne guests
- Steve Earle & The Dukes Terraplane
- Danny Elfman Fifty Shades of Grey [Original score]
- Estelle True Romance LISTEN (Spotify)
- Ex-Cult Cigarette Machine EP
- Grooms Comb The Feelings Through Your Hair LISTEN (Stereogum)
- The Juliana Hatfield Three Whatever, My Love
- First album for the newly reunited band since their 1993 debut
- Colin Hay Next Year People
- Hey Colossus In Black & Gold LISTEN (Spotify)
- Hundred Waters The Moon Rang Like a Bell (Remixed) LISTEN (Spotify)
- Ibeyi Ibeyi LISTEN (Spotify)
- Idlewild Everything Ever Written
- [UK only: 16 Feb]
- Imagine Dragons Smoke + Mirrors LISTEN (Spotify)
- In Tall Buildings Driver LISTEN (Spotify)
- Henry Jackman & Matthew Margeson Kingsman: The Secret Service OST
- Jorma Kaukonen Ain't in No Hurry
- Elle King Love Stuff LISTEN (NY Times)
- Krill A Distant Fist Unclenching LISTEN (Spotify)
- Letts Hold Fast LISTEN (Spotify)
- Solo debut for the Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros member was produced by Marcus Mumford
- Cliff Martinez Film Fest Gent LISTEN (Spotify)
- Live concert album features a full orchestra performing selections from the composer's various film scores
- The Mavericks Mono LISTEN (Spotify)
- Mourn Mourn LISTEN (Spotify)
- Anthony Naples Body Pill
- Full-length debut for the recent signee to Four Tet's Text Records
- The Orb History Of The Future Part 2 3xCD+DVD
- Extensive compilation features the group's later-period work from the past decade, including a handful of tracks previously available on vinyl only
- Art Pepper Neon Art: Volume One
- Phosphorescent Live at the Music Hall LISTEN (Paste)
- Live album recorded in Brooklyn in 2013
- Kate Pierson Guitars and Microphones LISTEN (Spotify)
- Solo debut for the B-52's member features songwriting assistance from Sia
- A Place to Bury Strangers Transfixiation LISTEN (Spotify)
- Programm Like the Sun EP
- Rye Pines Dead Ocean EP
- Six Organs Of Admittance Hexadic
- Slim Thug Hogg Life: The Beginning
- Slutever Almost Famous EP LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Snow Ghosts A Wrecking
- Sonny and the Sunsets Talent Night at the Ashram LISTEN (Spotify)
- Pops Staples Don’t Lose This LISTEN (Spotify)
- Incomplete final album by the late leader of the Staples Singers has been finished (15 years later) by his daughter, singer Mavis Staples, with the help of Wilco's Jeff Tweedy and Tweedy's son/bandmate Spencer
- Texas Texas 25
- Re-recorded versions of the band's greatest hits, plus four new songs
- Nedelle Torrisi Advice From Paradise
- Tropics Rapture
- Twin River Should the Light Go Out LISTEN (CoS)
- The Unthanks Mount the Air LISTEN (Spotify)
- Various Strange Magic OST
- Virgin Forest VF3
- Whitehorse Leave No Bridge Unburned
- Geoff Zanelli and Mark Ronson Mortdecai OST
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Action Bronson
- TRACK "Terry" streaming at YouTube.
- Alabama Shakes
- TRACK "Don't Wanna Fight" streaming at YouTube.
- Angel Haze
- TRACK "Gxmes" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Big Sean
- TRACK "Win Some, Lose Some" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Miniskirt" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Cannibal Ox
- TRACK "Harlem Knights" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Chance the Rapper & The Social Experiment
- TRACK "Lady Friend" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Just Like You" streaming at SoundCloud.
- The Cribs
- TRACK "I See Your Pictures Every Day" (new B-side) streaming at YouTube.
- Dan Deacon
- TRACK "Learning to Relax" streaming at YouTube.
ALBUM Gliss Riffer streaming until its 2/24 release at NPR.
- Paul de Jong [formerly of The Books]
- TRACK "Auction Block" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Kristin Diable
- ALBUM Create Your Own Mythology streaming until its 2/24 release at NPR.
- Diamond Rugs
- ALBUM Cosmetics (out 2/24) streaming at CoS.
- Django Django
- TRACK "First Light" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Earl Sweatshirt
- TRACK "Quest/Power" streaming at SoundCloud.
- East India Youth
- TRACK "Turn Away" streaming at YouTube.
- Future Brown
- ALBUM Future Brown streaming until its 2/24 release at NPR.
- The Go! Team
- TRACK "Blowtorch" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Joanna Gruesome
- TRACK "Last Year" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "The Mexican" (feat. Tom Morello) streaming at SoundCloud.
- Emile Haynie
- TRACK "Come Find Me" (feat. Lykke Li and Romy) streaming at YouTube.
- Iron & Wine
- ALBUM Archive Series Volume No. 1 streaming at Billboard.
- JEFF the Brotherhood
- TRACK "Black Cherry Pie" streaming at NPR.
- Kendrick Lamar
- TRACK "The Blacker The Berry" streaming at YouTube.
- Lightning Bolt
- TRACK "The Metal East" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Acetate" streaming at YouTube.
- The Minus 5
- TRACK "The History You Hate" streaming at YouTube.
- Modest Mouse
- TRACK "The Ground Walks, With Time in a Box" streaming at YouTube.
- Róisín Murphy
- TRACK "Gone Fishing" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Nai Harvest
- TRACK "Sick on My Heart" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Jimmy Napes
- TRACK "Making Of Me" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Fear and Fury" (previously unreleased) streaming at SoundCloud.
- Passion Pit
- TRACK "Lifted Up (1985)" streaming at YouTube.
TRACK "Where the Sky Hangs" streaming at YouTube.
- Elvis Perkins
- ALBUM I Aubade (out 2/24) streaming at AV Club.
- Robert Pollard
- TRACK "Up and Up and Up" streaming at SoundCloud.
- The Pop Group
- ALBUM Citizen Zombie streaming until its 2/23 release at NPR.
- Prefuse 73
- TRACK "Storms Over Raqqa" streaming at Bandcamp.
- Public Service Broadcasting
- ALBUM The Race For Space streaming until its 2/23 release at NPR.
- Screaming Females
- ALBUM Rose Mountain streaming until its 2/24 release at NPR.
- Speedy Ortiz
- TRACK "Raising The Skate" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Sufjan Stevens
- TRACK "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross" streaming at YouTube.
- Surfer Blood
- TRACK "Grand Inquisitor" streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM EarthEE streaming until its 2/24 release at NPR.
- ALBUM Restarter (out 2/24) streaming at Noisey.
- Twin Shadow
- TRACK "I'm Ready" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Under A Rock" streaming at NPR.
- TRACK "Joust & Jostle" streaming at SoundCloud.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Tuesday: Big Sean (Kimmel), Imagine Dragons (Fallon), Twin Shadow (Letterman)
- Wednesday: Kristian Bush (Conan), Grizfolk (Letterman), Ella Henderson (Fallon), The Mavericks (Meyers), Rascal Flatts (Kimmel)
- Thursday: Mikky Ekko (Letterman), Gorgon City feat. Jennifer Hudson (Kimmel), Hundred Waters (Carson Daly)
- Friday: Nick Jonas (Fallon), Judah & The Lion (Letterman)
Recent artist and industry news
- Watch a new short film from Drake.
- Veteran duo Sparks are at work on two different film musicals, one with Canadian auteur Guy Maddin, another with French director Leos Carax. - The Playlist
- Influential BBC Radio 1 DJ Zane Lowe is departing his longtime on-air gig to take a job with Apple. Annie Mac will replace him as host of the nightly music show, which often scores exclusive world premieres to new tracks as well as interviews with major artists. - NME
- Visage frontman Steve Strange died last week at the age of 55. - NME
- Lesley Gore, best known for 1960s hits like "It's My Party," has died at the age of 68. - Los Angeles Times
The latest music videos
Hot Chip, "Huarache Lights":
Florence + The Machine, "What Kind of Man":
Death Cab For Cutie, "Black Sun":
Matthew E. White, "Rock & Roll Is Cold":
Calvin Harris feat. HAIM, "Pray to God":
Jessie Ware, "Champagne Kisses":
Matt and Kim, "Hey Now":
Hundred Waters, "Innocent":
Taylor Swift, "Style":
A$AP Rocky, "Lord Pretty Flacko Jodye 2":
Joey Bada$$, "Like Me":
Paul Weller, "White Sky":
The Juliana Hatfield Three, "If Only We Were Dogs":
In the studio / coming soon
- Faith No More's comeback album has been titled Sol Invictus, and you can own it beginning May 19th. - Pitchfork
- How Big How Blue How Beautiful is the title of Florence + The Machine's new album, which arrives on June 2nd. Watch an album teaser or read more about the LP at Billboard.
- As hinted at last week, Hot Chip will indeed release a new album in the near future. Why Make Sense? arrives on May 18 via Domino. (Lead single "Huarache Lights" is streaming above in the video section.) A separate EP, helpfully titled the Separate EP, will include four non-album tracks from the same sessions.
- Wire will release a new self-titled album on April 21st. Many of the 11 tracks have already been performed live by the band in recent shows.
- NME reports that the Jesus and Mary Chain intend to record a new album, which would be their first since 1998's Munki.
- Sia seems close to releasing a quick follow-up to last year's 1000 Forms of Fear. NME has some details on the new, pop-oriented This Is Acting.
- There's now a date (April 21) and a title (Kindred) for Passion Pit's upcoming album.
- Mac McCaughan, the Superchunk, Portastatic, and Merge Records leader, will finally release his first solo album, Non-Believers, on May 5th. Here's a trailer.
- Sound & Color, the second album from Alabama Shakes, will be out on April 21st.
- Lightning Bolt move to Thrill Jockey for Fantasy Empire, their first new album in six years, arriving on March 24th. - CoS
- Watch a trailer for The Tallest Man on Earth's new album Dark Bird Is Home, which hits stores on May 12th.
- Surfer Blood's new album 1000 Palms is due on May 12th.
- Faulty Superheroes is the latest solo set from Robert Pollard; find it on April 28th.
- Django Django's sophomore set, Born Under Saturn, arrives on May 5th.
- METZ II, the second album from METZ, will be out on May 5th.
- Miguel is nearing completion of his next album, which may be called Wild Heart and could be out this spring. - Billboard
- It looks like Missy Elliott has returned to the studio, though there's still no official word on a new album. - Billboard
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- This year's Pitchfork Music Festival will be headlined by Wilco, Chance the Rapper, and Sleater Kinney.
- Austin's Levitation festival will now include the first live performance by The 13th Floor Elevators since 1967. - Pitchfork
- AC/DC have lined up some summer stadium shows. - Billboard
- Def Leppard tours with Styx and Tesla this summer. - Billboard
- Bob Dylan has a 19-date spring tour in support of his new album. - Billboard
- Little Dragon has new dates in May and June. - CoS
- Stephin Merritt's solo acoustic tour will find the Magnetic Fields leader performing exactly 26 songs, with song titles arranged alphabetically from A to Z. - CoS
- The Replacements' reunion continues with a full U.S. tour this spring, their first in nearly 25 years. - Pitchfork
- Ed Sheeran's North American tour begins in May. - Pollstar
- Steely Dan will be supported by Elvis Costello on their summer tour. - CoS
- The Waterboys will tour the U.S. this spring in support of their new album. - Pollstar
- Paul Weller tours the East Coast in June. - Pollstar