This week's new album releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, February 24 unless otherwise indicated.
Dark Sky Paradise
The rapper follows 2013's Hall of Fame with his third album, a 12-song set that includes appearances by Kanye West, Drake, John Legend, Chris Brown, Jhené Aiko, Lil Wayne, Ty Dolla $ign, and Ariana Grande.
Gliss Riffer LISTEN (NPR)
The electronic musician and composer's first album since 2012's America is a self-produced set that is smaller in scope than recent releases. Thus, you won't find a full orchestra playing on Gliss Riffer, though you will find a greater emphasis on Deacon's vocals.
Girl in a Band: A Memoir BOOK
Former Sonic Youth member Kim Gordon talks about her time in that band, her recent divorce from Thurston Moore, and much more in her new autobiography. For a better idea of what's in store (including choice comments from Gordon about Lana Del Ray, Kurt Cobain, and Billy Corgan), Listen to an audiobook excerpt at Billboard or read another excerpt from the book at The Guardian.
Physical Graffiti 3xCD
The Led Zeppelin reissues continue with tomorrow's deluxe, remastered re-release of the band's 1975 double album Physical Graffiti, following 40 years to the day after the album's original release date. A bonus disc adds seven previously unreleased tracks, which consist of alternate versions and demos of songs included on the album.
EarthEE LISTEN (NPR)
The second album for the Sub Pop-signed, Seattle-based R&B duo features guest appearances from Taylor Brown, Meshell Ndegeocello, Porter Ray, and Shabazz Palaces.
Following 2012's well-reviewed Harmonicraft, the Miami sludge metal band's fourth album (produced by bassist Jonathan Nuñez) finds them jumping to a new record label, Relapse. Early reviews are fairly strong.
- The Airborne Toxic Event Dope Machines
- Alcoa Parlour Tricks
- Alien Ant Farm Always and Forever
- All That Remains The Order of Things
- BADBADNOTGOOD Sour Soul LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- New album from the Toronto jazz trio features Wu-Tang's Ghostface Killah on every track; DOOM also guests
- Aidan Baker The Confessional Tapes
- The Black Ryder The Door Behind the Door
- Travis Bretzer Waxing Romantic
- Camper Van Beethoven New Roman Times
- Reissue of 2004 album adds 4 bonus tracks
- Cheatahs Sunne EP
- Chicago Live in '75 2xCD
- Crypt Sermon Out of the Garden LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Kristin Diable Create Your Own Mythology LISTEN (NPR)
- Diamond Rugs Cosmetics LISTEN (CoS)
- Diet Cig Over Easy EP LISTEN (Bandcamp)
- Drug Cabin Yard Work
- Dutch Uncles O Shudder LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Alex Ebert A Most Violent Year OST
- Eternal Tapestry Wild Strawberries
- Falling in Reverse Just Like You
- Fan Of A Fan The Album
- Collaboration between Chris Brown and Tyga
- Fashawn The Ecology
- Future Brown Future Brown LISTEN (NPR)
- Full-length debut on Warp Records features collaborations with Tink, Kelela, and more
- Gal Pals Velvet Rut LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Gang of Four What Happens Next LISTEN (Pitchfork)
- First album in four years from the post-punk legends (though Andy Gill is the only original member still with the group) features The Kills' Alison Mosshart on several tracks
- The Gibson Brothers Brotherhood
- Colleen Green I Want to Grow Up
- JJ Grey & Mofro Ol' Glory
- Steve Gunn & The Black Twig Pickers Seasonal Hire
- Emile Haynie We Fall
- Guests include Lana Del Rey, Lykke Li, Randy Newman, Rufus Wainwright, Father John Misty, Julia Holter, Andrew Wyatt, Brian Wilson, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Sampha, and Devonté Hynes
- Hot Sugar God's Hand
- Iamsu! Eyes on Me LISTEN (Billboard)
- Iron & Wine Archive Series Volume No. 1 LISTEN (Billboard)
- Contains 16 previously unreleased tracks recorded prior to the release of his debut album
- Jack Ladder & The Dreamlanders Playmates LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Mat Kearney Just Kids
- Kid Rock First Kiss
- Andy Kim It’s Decided
- New album from the 1960s- and '70s-era songwriter ("Sugar, Sugar", "Rock Me Gently") is co-written and co-produced by Kevin Drew of Broken Social Scene
- The King Khan & BBQ Show Bad News Boys LISTEN (Spin)
- The Lowest Pair The Sacred Heart Sessions
- Make Do And Mend Don't Be Long LISTEN (AV Club)
- Cliff Martinez My Life Directed By Nicolas Winding Refn OST
- James McMurtry Complicated Game
- Keath Mead Sunday Dinner
- MisterWives Our Own House
- Oceans Ate Alaska Lost Isles
- Of Mice & Men Restoring Force: Full Circle 2xCD
- Deluxe reissue
- Scout Pare-Phillips Heed the Call
- Screaming Females Rose Mountain LISTEN (NPR)
- Passenger Peru Light Places
- Pelican The Cliff EP
- Elvis Perkins I Aubade LISTEN (AV Club)
- The Pop Group Citizen Zombie LISTEN (NPR)
- First album in 35 years for the recently reunited UK band is produced by Paul Epworth
- Sam Prekop The Republic
- Fourth solo album for Sea and Cake frontman continues the synth-based instrumental approach of his previous release, Old Punch Card
- Public Service Broadcasting The Race for Space LISTEN (NPR)
- Radical Dads Universal Coolers
- Revolution Saints Revolution Saints
- Romare Projections
- Santiparro True Prayer
- Saxon Heavy Metal Thunder
- The Spectres Dying
- Rick Springfield Stripped Down CD+DVD
- Various Keep On Keepin' On OST
- Various Songs of Anarchy: Volume 4 OST
- Wind in Sails Morning Light
- Wyles & Simpson Stormy Skies
- The Zoltars The Zoltars
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Alex G
- TRACK "Change" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Cocoon" streaming at YouTube.
- Will Butler
- TRACK "Clean Monday" (based on today's Guardian headlines) streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Falling From the Sky" (feat. Ben Bridwell) streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Crybaby Demon" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Death Cab for Cutie
- TRACK "No Room in Frame" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Do Something" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Gucci Mane
- ALBUM Views From Zone 6 EP streaming at Stereogum.
- TRACK "Home" (feat. Dev Hynes) streaming at YouTube.
- Antony Hegarty & Yoko Ono
- TRACK "I Love You Earth" streaming at NME.
- Johnny Jewel
- TRACK "Bullytown" (from the Lost River OST) streaming/downloadable at SoundCloud.
- Lady Lamb the Beekeeper
- ALBUM After (out 3/3) streaming at Rolling Stone.
- Lady Lazarus
- ALBUM Miracles (out 3/3) streaming at The New York Times.
- Moon Duo
- ALBUM Shadow of the Sun (out 3/3) streaming at The Quietus.
- Van Morrison with Michael Bublé
- TRACK "Real Real Gone" streaming at YouTube.
- Of Montreal
- ALBUM Aureate Gloom streaming until its 3/3 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Wall To Wall" (feat. French Montana and Busta Rhymes) streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Rayc Fire 2" downloadable from the official site.
- Colin Stetson and Sarah Neufeld
- TRACK "The Sun Roars Into View" streaming at SoundCloud.
- ALBUM I Wasn't Born To Lose You streaming until its 3/3 release at NPR.
- T.I. & Young Thug
- TRACK "Off-Set" streaming at YouTube.
- Brian Wilson
- TRACK "The Right Time" (feat. Al Jardine, David Marks) streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Above & Beyond (Carson Daly), Steve Earle (Letterman), Kid Rock (Fallon), Misterwives (Meyers), Warren G with Kenny G (Kimmel)
- Tuesday: JD McPherson (Letterman), Natalie Prass (Carson Daly), Prince Royce (Kimmel), Charlie Wilson (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Lupe Fiasco (Fallon), Glass Animals (Letterman), Sam Hunt (Kimmel), The Re-Licked Project (Carson Daly)
- Thursday: Colleen Green (Carson Daly), Tobias Jesso Jr. (Fallon), Sleater-Kinney (Meyers), Liv Warfield (Kimmel)
- Saturday: Alabama Shakes (Saturday Night Live)
The latest music videos
Blur, "Go Out" [lyric/recipe video]:
Sleater-Kinney, "A New Wave":
U2, "Every Breaking Wave":
Toro Y Moi, "Empty Nesters":
Madeon feat. Passion Pit, "Pay No Mind":
Peter Doherty, "Flags of the Old Regime":
Laura Marling, "False Hope":
Grooms, "Doctor M":
Pussy Riot, "I Can't Breathe":
In the studio / coming soon
- In a bit of a (pleasant) surprise, Blur announced last week that they have completed work on a new album—their first in a dozen years (and the first Blur record featuring guitarist Graham Coxon since 1999's 13). The Magic Whip will be out on April 28; Rolling Stone has more details.
- On May 5, Best Coast will release California Nights, their first full-length album in three years. (The Capitol/Harvest release will also be their major-label debut.) Here's an album trailer.
- Squarepusher's latest LP for Warp is titled Damogen Furies, and it arrives on April 21st. Watch an album trailer.
- Sun Kil Moon's new album Universal Themes is set for a June 2nd release.
- Raekwon's Fly International Luxurious Art drops on April 28. - Pitchfork
- Antony Hegarty's first new album in five years is coming in the near future. The electronic Hopelessness (with production from Oneohtrix Point Never and Hudson Mohawke) will be released under the name ANOHNI. - CoS
- Kanye West is about 80% done with his next album, which will be released without advance warning. - Pitchfork
- Lorde will begin work on her second album this spring. - Billboard
- Though it's not clear what project it is for, Run the Jewels have been in the studio with Massive Attack. - Pitchfork
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.