This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, March 19 unless otherwise indicated. Click on any LISTEN link to listen to a free, streaming version of the entire album (typically, available only during the week of release); streaming links go to AOL Music unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Duane Allman Skydog: The Duane Allman Retrospective 7xCD
- Box set spans the guitarist's career and includes many unreleased and/or hard-to-find tracks
- Alpha Rev Bloom
- Anthrax Anthems EP
- Karl Bartos Off the Record
- Second solo album for former Kraftwerk member features tracks recorded prior to his 2003 debut
- Black Rebel Motorcycle Club Specter At The Feast LISTEN
- Billy Bragg Tooth & Nail LISTEN (The Quietus)
- Brandt Brauer Frick Miami LISTEN (3voor12)
- Alex Calder Time
- The Cannanes Small Batch EP
- First new music from the Australian band in 11 years
- Clutch Earth Rocker
- Daughter If You Leave LISTEN (3voor12)
- [UK only: 18 Mar]
- Simone Dinnerstein & Tift Merritt Night
- Ellen Allien LISm
- Ensemble Pearl Ensemble Pearl LISTEN (Pitchfork; today only)
- Features members of Boris, Earth, and Sunn O)))
- Felix Da Housecat Sinner Winner EP
- Fol Chen The False Alarms LISTEN (3voor12)
- Colleen Green Sock It to Me LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Liam Hayes A Glimpse Inside The Mind Of Charles Swan III OST LISTEN
- Intronaut Habitual Levitations LISTEN (3voor12)
- Steve Jablonsky and Jacob Shea Gears Of War: Judgment OST
- Jungle Rot Terror Regime
- Lordi To Beast Or Not to Beast
The Invisible Way LISTEN
- The latest harmony-soaked album from slowcore trio Low was produced by Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, whom the band enlisted after hearing his work with Mavis Staples. Reviews are mostly strong so far for The Invisible Way, which finds Low's Mimi Parker taking more of the vocal spotlight than she has on past Low albums.
- Brian McKnight More Than Words LISTEN
- Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer Child Ballads
- Kacey Musgraves Same Trailer Different Park
- The Ocean Blue Ultramarine
- First album since 1999 for the Hershey, Penn. alt-rock band
- Palma Violets 180
- Phosphorescent Muchacho
- Prurient Through the Window
- Purling Hiss Water on Mars
- Josh Rouse The Happiness Waltz LISTEN
- Six Feet Under Unborn
- The Staves Dead & Born & Grown LISTEN (Billboard)
- Marnie Stern The Chronicles of Marnia
- Stornoway Tales From Terra Firma LISTEN (3voor12)
Bloodsports LISTEN (3voor12)
- The Britpop band's first album in 11 years is produced by Ed Buller, who also worked with Suede on their memorable first three albums. Early reviews (mostly from the UK music press) find it surprisingly modern and complex, and superior to the work they were churning out before their hiatus.
- Justin Timberlake
The 20/20 Experience LISTEN (iTunes; today only)
- That week on NBC wasn't purely for fun; Justin Timberlake was there to promote his rebirth as a recording artist. Tuesday's The 20/20 Experience is Timberlake's first album in seven years, following 2006's FutureSex/LoveSounds 70. Much of the production is again handled by Timbaland, and Jay-Z guests on the lead single "Suit & Tie." There are some complaints about the lyrics, but overall advance reviews have plenty of praise for the sound of the new album. Over the weekend, ?uestlove hinted that Timberlake could release a second 20/20 Experience album later this year with 10 additional tracks.
- William Tyler Impossible Truth
- Various 20 Jahre Kompakt: Kollektion 1 2xCD LISTEN (3voor12)
- Compilation for the 20th anniversary of German techno label Kompakt includes highlights from the past two decades
- Various Les Miserables OST 2xCD
- New deluxe edition of the film soundtrack adds 22 tracks to the previous release
- Various Love for Levon 2xCD+2xDVD/2xBlu-ray
- 2012 tribute concert for the late Levon Helm features performances by Greg Allman, Lucinda Williams, Mavis Staples, John Mayer, John Prine, My Morning Jacket, Roger Waters, and more
- Various The Sapphires OST
- Various Shaolin Soul Selection: Volume 1 2xCD
- RZA-curated Stax Records compilation
- Various Spring Breakers OST
- Includes music by Cliff Martinez, Skrillex, and more
- Various The Walking Dead: Vol. 1 OST
- Thalia Zedek Via LISTEN (3voor12)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Motion Picture" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Bow Down / I Been On" streaming at Soundcloud.
- James Blake
- TRACK "And Holy Ghost" streaming at Soundcloud.
- The Dillinger Escape Plan
- TRACK "Prancer" streaming at YouTube.
- DJ Koze
- ALBUM Amygdala streaming at NPR.
- TRACK "TRON" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Four Tet
- TRACK "For These Times" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Gang of Four
- TRACK "Broken Talk" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM Meir (out 3/26) streaming this week at Stereogum.
- Julian Lynch
- ALBUM Lines streaming until its 3/26 release at NPR.
- Major Lazer
- ALBUM Lazer Strikes Back Vol. 2 EP downloadable via The FADER.
- TRACK "Still Into You" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- ALBUM Afraid of Heights streaming until its 3/26 release at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Keyshia Cole (Kimmel), James Hunter Six (Leno), Killer Mike (Letterman)
- Tuesday: Black Prairie (Leno), Garbage (Letterman), Pinback (Fallon), T.I. (Kimmel)
- Wednesday: The Airborne Toxic Event (Letterman), Gary Clark Jr. (Leno)
- Thursday: Brandi Carlile (Fallon), Atlas Genius (Leno), Lianne La Havas (Kimmel), Solange (Letterman)
- Friday: Wynonna Judd (Leno), Aaron Neville (Letterman), Sigur Ros (Fallon)
Recent artist and industry news
- Singer-songwriter Jason Molina, best known for his groups Songs: Ohia and Magnolia Electric Co., has reportedly died after a long battle with alcoholism. Sketchy details are surfacing around the web this morning, with Pitchfork posting the best round-up so far.
- Lil Wayne experienced another health scare over the weekend, but is reportedly resting comfortably at an L.A. hospital after suffering several seizures. - USA Today
The latest music videos
The Strokes, "All the Time":
British Sea Power, "Machineries of Joy":
Joanna Newsom, "The North Star Grassman and the Ravens" [Sandy Denny cover]:
Wavves, "Demon to Lean On":
Christopher Owens, "Here We Go Again":
Earl Sweatshirt feat. Tyler, The Creator, "Whoa":
B.o.B and Big Boi, "Double or Nothing" [theme from Army of TWO: The Devil's Cartel]:
Big K.R.I.T., "R.E.M.":
Brent and Johnson, "Equality Street":
Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon, "History of Rap Part 4":
In the studio / coming soon
- The Weeknd has titled his upcoming album (to be released sometime in 2013 via Universal Republic) Kiss Land.
- Ted Leo and Aimee Mann have joined forces for a new project called #BOTH; their debut EP should be out this August.
- Arctic Monkeys have been working on a new album that should be out before the end of the year. - NME
- The reunited Black Sabbath will release their comeback album, 13, on June 11.
- Pet Shop Boys will move to a new label (Kobalt Music Services) to release their next album, Electric, which will be out this June. - The Quietus
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.
Tours and festivals
- Morrissey has once again canceled upcoming live dates, this time wiping out his entire remaining schedule due to health reasons. - Billboard
- Animal Collective have also postponed all of their remaining tour dates. - CoS
- Tyler, the Creator has added dates to his current tour, some with Earl Sweatshirt. - Pitchfork
- Find dates for AraabMuzik at Pitchfork.
- Pitchfork also has spring dates for Bill Callahan's solo tour.
- Flying Lotus kicks off his spring tour on April 21st. - Consequence of Sound
- Pollstar has dates for Alabama Shakes.
- Atoms for Peace have added some fall dates to their current world tour, including a stop at the Hollywood Bowl. - CoS
- Find the summer schedule for Phish at CoS.