This week's new releases
Each title listed below will go on sale beginning Tuesday, October 29 unless otherwise indicated. The week's most noteworthy releases are starred.
- Trace Adkins The King's Gift
- Arcade Fire
- Following a fairly impressive marketing campaign that featured mysterious graffiti scattered around the globe, "surprise" shows billed under the name The Reflektors, and a performance on (and following) Saturday Night Live, Arcade Fire finally release their fourth album this week. The double-album Reflektor was recorded in part with LCD Soundsystem's James Murphy, and features a more dance-oriented approach. The result is slightly more uneven than a typical Arcade Fire album—Reflektor has the group's lowest Metascore to date—but even a slightly lesser effort from the Canadian band is something to look forward to.
- Audacity Butter Knife
- Autechre L-event EP
- Daniel Avery Drone Logic
- Ayreon Theory of Everything
- Bad Religion Christmas Songs
- Yes, it's a holiday album
- Baio Mira EP
- New solo recordings from Vampire Weekend's Chris Baio
- Christophe Beck Runner Runner OST
- Body Parts Fire Dream LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- Botany Lava Diviner (Truestory)
- Susan Boyle Home for Christmas
- Kelly Clarkson Wrapped in Red
- Christmas album
- Death Cab for Cutie Transatlanticism (10th Anniversary Edition) 2xLP
- Includes the original LP plus demo versions of every track on the album
- The Devil Makes Three I'm a Stranger Here
- Alexander Ebert All Is Lost OST
- Endless Bummer Ripper Current EP LISTEN (Bandcamp)
- Sky Ferreira Night Time, My Time
- The Flaming Lips Peace Sword EP LISTEN (CoS)
- Digital-only EP includes a song from the Ender's Game soundtrack plus five other tracks (CD/LP release is 29 November)
- Foals Holy Fire: Live at the Royal Albert Hall CD+DVD/Blu-ray
- Robert Glasper Experiment Black Radio 2
- Laurel Halo Chance of Rain
- Mick Hucknall American Soul
- Solo album for Simply Red frontman
- Humble Pie Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore 4xCD
- Jonwayne Rap Album One
- Kaito Until the End of Time
- Eighth album for the Japanese producer
- Toby Keith Drinks After Work
- Ed Kowalczyk The Flood And The Mercy
- Lily & Madeleine Lily & Madeleine LISTEN (NY Times)
- Linkin Park Recharged
- Remix album
- Nick Lowe Quality Street: A Seasonal Selection for All the Family
- Holiday album
- Johnny Mathis Sending You a Little Christmas
- Minor Alps Get There LISTEN (Rolling Stone)
- Full-length debut for the duo of Juliana Hatfield and Nada Surf's Matthew Caws
- Juana Molina Wed 21 LISTEN (3voor12)
- Moonface Julia With Blue Jeans On
- Second solo album (as Moonface) for Wolf Parade's Spencer Krug
- Mount Kimbie CSFLY Remixes EP
- Phosphorescent Muchacho De Lujo 2xCD
- Deluxe reissue of 2013 album Muchacho adds a live set
- Russian Circles Memorial LISTEN (3voor12)
- Ulrich Schnauss & Mark Peters Tomorrow Is Another Day
- Seether Seether: 2002-2013 2xCD
- Career-spanning retrospective
- Son Lux Lanterns LISTEN (3voor12)
- The Sounds Weekend LISTEN (Soundcloud)
- The Stranger Watching Dead Empires in Decay
- Maria Taylor Something About Knowing
- Toxic Holocaust Chemistry of Consciousness
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra Blue Record EP
- Acoustic tracks and covers
- Upset She's Gone
- Various About Time OST
- Various Move Me Brightly: Celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th Birthday DVD/Blu-ray
- 2012 concert featuring former Grateful Dead members plus Carlos Santana and more guests
- Vaura The Missing
- Leslie West Still Climbing
- White Denim Corsicana Lemonade LISTEN (3voor12)
- Produced by Jeff Tweedy of Wilco
- Whores Clean
- Widowspeak The Swamps EP LISTEN (Spin)
- Dot Wiggin Band Ready! Get! Go!
- Debut solo album for former Shaggs vocalist (and her first album in over 40 years)
- Andy Williams The Complete Christmas Recordings 2xCD
- Yamantaka // Sonic Titan UZU
- Yuna Nocturnal
- Yvette Process LISTEN (Pitchfork)
More streaming and downloadable new music
- TRACK "Broadway (Gimme The Lights On) (Jim Eno Version)" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Dub Sac" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Arcade Fire
- TRACK "Afterlife" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- TRACK "Welterweight" streaming at Soundcloud.
- TRACK "Sexy Socialite" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Cold Cave
- TRACK "Don't Blow Up the Moon" streaming at YouTube.
- Cut Copy
- ALBUM Free Your Mind (out next week) streaming at the official band site.
- TRACK "Apollo" (new non-album track) streaming at Soundcloud.
- Four Tet
- TRACK "Gillie Amma, I Love You" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Katy B
- TRACK "I Like You" streaming at Soundcloud.
- Lady Gaga
- TRACK "Venus" streaming at YouTube.
- Luscious Jackson
- ALBUM Magic Hour streaming until its 11/5 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Y.A.L.A." streaming at YouTube.
- ALBUM Antiphon streaming until tis 11/5 release at NPR.
- TRACK "Remurdered" streaming at Soundcloud.
- ALBUM What Makes Us Glow (out 11/11) streaming at Hype Machine.
- ALBUM Surfing Strange streaming until its 11/5 release at NPR.
- Sébastien Tellier
- ALBUM Confection streaming through 11/4 at Pitchfork.
- TRACK "Love Is To Die" streaming at YouTube.
- Wooden Shjips
- TRACK "Back to Land" downloadable at Stereogum.
- Xiu Xiu
- TRACK "Just Say I Love Him" (Nina Simone cover) streaming at Stereogum.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Celine Dion (Fallon), King Krule (Letterman), Steve Nieve with Elvis Costello (Leno), Smallpools (Kimmel)
- Tuesday: Arcade Fire (Kimmel), Chromeo (Fallon), Alan Jackson (Letterman), Kodaline (Leno)
- Wednesday: The Avett Brothers (Letterman; also Live on Letterman webcast at 8p ET/5p PT), NONONO (Kimmel), Queens of the Stone Age (Conan), Two Door Cinema Club (Leno), The Weeknd (Fallon)
- Thursday: The Fray (Leno), Holy Ghost! (Letterman), Rob Zombie (Kimmel)
- Friday: Big Sean (Fallon), Empire of the Sun (Leno), Frightened Rabbit (Letterman)
- Saturday: Eminem (Saturday Night Live), Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell (Austin City Limits)
Recent artist and industry news
- Rock legend Lou Reed died Sunday at the age of 71, due to complications from a recent liver transplant. The New York Times has an obituary, the L.A. Times offers an appreciation, and Rolling Stone collects tributes from fellow artists.
- The Smiths' 1986 classic The Queen Is Dead was named the greatest album of all time by UK music magazine NME.
- The Stone Roses: Made of Stone, a documentary about the band's recent reunion tour, will screen in select North American theaters on November 6th (or shortly thereafter, in some cases).
- If you've never heard of the YouTube Music Awards, it's because they are new this year. View the just-announced nominees; winners will be announced in a live webcast on November 3rd, in a ceremony hosted by Jason Schwartzman.
- YouTube may also be getting into the subscription music business; Billboard reports that the Google-owned service will likely launch a competitor to Spotify in 2014 (or possibly as soon as December).
- Twitter is pulling the plug on its little-used #Music app. - The New York Times
The latest music videos
Paul McCartney, "Queenie Eye":
Arctic Monkeys, "One for the Road":
Washed Out, "All I Know":
Dirty Projectors, "Impregnable Question":
I Break Horses, "Faith":
Julia Holter, "Horns Surrounding Me":
Symmetry, "The Hunt":
Omar Souleyman, "Warni Warni":
Major Lazer, "Jet Blue Jet":
In the studio / coming soon
- Mogwai's next LP has been titled Rave Tapes, and it arrives on January 21, 2014.
- Nigel Godrich and Flood serve as producers on Warpaint's self-titled sophomore album, due January 21st; watch a trailer.
- Young the Giant's second album, Mind Over Matter, will be out on January 21st. - Billboard
- Live at Brixton, a Mastodon live album, will be out on December 10th.
- Against Me! will finally release their next LP, Transgender Dysphoria Blues, on January 21st.
- NME's legendary 1986 C86 compilation will be released on CD for the first time next year, with an expanded tracklist. - NME
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.