Last Friday's album releases
The fourth album from Crystal Castles is the electronic music duo's first release since the acrimonious departure of lead singer Alice Glass, who has been replaced by new vocalist Edith Frances. The result appears to be their most lackluster album to date.
This week's best new electronic dance album belongs not to Crystal Castles but to the British two-piece (formerly three-piece) outfit and DFA signees Factory Floor. This is the group's second album, following 2013's self-titled effort.
When the reported release date for Boys Don't Cry came and went a few weeks ago with no sign of its arrival, fans grew even more impatient as they began to doubt that Ocean's follow-up to 2012's Channel Orange would ever appear. The singer made up for it over the last few days with a deluge of activity, beginning with the stream of a "visual album" called Endless. It turns out that Boys Don't Cry itself was not an album but a magazine (complete with Kanye West poetry!), available at a few surprise pop-up shops in major cities. The highlight of the weekend, though, is Blonde, Ocean's second official studio album. Though the physical version (with a slightly different tracklisting) was only made available at those pop-up shops, the digital version is available now from iTunes and Apple Music. The 17-song release includes collaborations with Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, Andre 3000, James Blake, and more.
Golden Sings That Have Been Sung
The singer-songwriter's third album follows his excellent 2015 Dead Oceans debut Primrose Green. Former Wilco member Leroy Bach produces.
Additional new releases last week
- Ages and Ages Something to Ruin
- AJJ The Bible 2
- Arab on Radar Yahweh or the Highway Sessions
- Arc Iris Moon Saloon
- Bayside Vacancy
- Bent Life Never Asked For Heaven
- Big Eyes Stake My Claim
- Big Search Life Dollars
- Blackbear Deadroses
- Black Foxxes I'm Not Well
- Blood Incantation Starspawn
- Peter Broderick Partners
- Carl Broemel 4th of July
- Solo album from My Morning Jacket guitarist
- Bueno Illuminate Your Room
- Rhea Butcher Butcher
- Comedy album
- Alex Cameron Jumping the Shark
- Nick Cave & Warren Ellis Hell or High Water OST
- CC Mose Beat Me
- Cold Pumas The Hanging Valley
- Sam Coomes Bugger Me
- Solo debut for the Quasi member
- Cosmonauts A-OK!
- Datach'i System
- Kyle Dixon & Michael Stein Stranger Things, Vol. 2 OST LISTEN (Apple Music)
- Dumb Numbers Dumb Numbers (II)
- EDEN i think you think too much of me
- Eros & The Eschaton Weight of Matter
- Exploded View Exploded View
- Faith No More We Care a Lot
- "Deluxe Band Edition" reissue of long out-of-print 1985 debut adds 9 bonus tracks (demos, alternate mixes, and live cuts)
- Flaw Divided We Fall
- Ezra Furman Big Fugitive Life EP
- Jerry Garcia Band GarciaLive Volume Seven: November 8th 1976 Sophie's Palo Alto 2xCD
- Gonjasufi Callus
- Thom Sonny Green High Anxiety
- Solo debut for the Alt-J drummer
- Lisa Hannigan At Swim
- Third album from the Irish singer-songwriter includes collaborations with The National's Aaron Dessner
- Happy Diving Electric Soul Unity
- Ed Harcourt Furnaces
- Have a Nice Life The Unnatural World
- The Heaters American Dream: The Portastudio Recordings
- Sharon Jones Miss Sharon Jones! OST
- Benjamin Francis Leftwich After the Rain
- Amos Lee Spirit
- Lil Debbie Debbie
- Lydia Loveless Real
- The Minus 5 Of Monkees & Men
- Myrkur Mausoleum
- Live album
- Dolly Parton Pure & Simple
- Pascal Pinon Sundur
- Pill Convenience
- Portable Alan Abrahams
- Colin Quinn Unconstitutional
- Jordan Raf Double Negative
- The Rifles Big Life
- Ritual Howls Into the Water
- Roosevelt Roosevelt
- Carina Round Deranged to Divine
- Sabaton The Last Stand
- Salute My Heart
- The Scientists A Place Called Bad 4xCD
- Box set collects the Australian punk band's studio recordings as well as a disc of live tracks
- Sex Pistols Live 76 Box set
- Contains four concert performances, including the band's legendary 1976 Manchester show
- Skeletonwitch The Apothic Gloom
- Slow Club One Day All Of This Won't Matter Anymore
- Soilwork Death Resonance
- Chris Staples Golden Age
- The Stray Birds Magic Fire
- Kiefer Sutherland Down in a Hole
- The actor's debut album features Americana/country songs that he composed and performed
- Tall Heights Neptune
- Tobacco Sweatbox Dynasty
- Total Slacker Parallels
- Trapt DNA
- Turtlenecked Pure Plush Bone Cage
- Various !Kollections 01: The Club
- Various Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates OST
- Scott Walker The Childhood of a Leader OST
- Walker's first work as a film composer since 1999
- Watsky x Infinity
- Dale Watson and His Lonestars Live at the Big T Roadhouse, Chicken SH!+ Bingo Sunday
- Drake White Spark
- John Paul White Beulah
- WWWINGS PHOENIXXX
- Thalia Zedek Eve
Coming Friday 8/26 (notable releases):
- The Album Leaf Between Waves LISTEN (NPR)
- The Bad Plus It's Hard LISTEN (NPR)
- The jazz trio takes on songs by Prince, Kraftwerk, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio, Cyndi Lauper, Peter Gabriel, and more on an all-covers album
- Banks & Steelz Anything But Words
- Debut for the duo of Interpol's Paul Banks and Wu-Tang Clan's RZA
- Cassius Ibifornia
- French duo's first album in a decade features Cat Power, Ryan Tedder, Pharrell Williams, and Mike D.
- De La Soul And the Anonymous Nobody…
- Morgan Delt Phase Zero
- Glass Animals How to Be a Human Being
- Katy Goodman & Greta Morgan Take It, It’s Yours LISTEN (Noisey)
- Punk covers
- Gringo Star The Sides and in Between
- Carly Rae Jepsen E•MO•TION: Side B
- B-sides collection
- Joseph I'm Alone, No You're Not LISTEN (NPR)
- Cass McCombs Mangy Love LISTEN (NPR)
- The Mild High Club Skiptracing
- The Parrots Los Niños Sin Miedo
- Prophets of Rage The Party’s Over EP
- Debut from the new "supergroup" that finds most of Rage Against the Machine joined by members of Public Enemy and Cypress Hill
- River Whyless We All the Light LISTEN (NPR)
- Omar Rodríguez-López Arañas en La Sombra
- Latest in the artist's sequence of 12 solo albums was recorded with the original lineup of The Mars Volta plus guitarist John Frusciante
- Britney Spears Glory
- Vince Staples Prima Donna EP
- Six-song set features A$AP Rocky, James Blake, and more
- Barbra Streisand Encore: Movie Partners Sing Broadway LISTEN (NPR)
- Duets album finds Streisand teaming with actors, including Alec Baldwin, Melissa McCarthy, Seth MacFarlane, Hugh Jackman, Jamie Foxx, and more
- Twist Spectral LISTEN (Stereogum)
- Various The Intervention OST
- Various Total 16 2xCD
- Kompakt label compilation includes 8 previously unreleased tracks
- Various XOXO OST
- The Veils Total Depravity
- Co-produced by El-P
- Vinyl Williams Brunei LISTEN (Hype Machine)
- Full album release calendar >
Stream upcoming albums and new tracks
- Danny Brown
- TRACK "Pneumonia" streaming at YouTube.
- Car Seat Headrest
- TRACK "Does It Feel Good (To Say Goodbye?)" streaming at SoundCloud.
- De La Soul
- TRACK "Greyhounds" (feat. Usher) streaming at YouTube.
- Earl Sweatshirt
- TRACK "Balance" (feat. Knxwledge) streaming/downloadable at Adult Swim.
- TRACK "Rorschach Pavan" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Alarms" streaming at YouTube.
- Macy Gray
- TRACK "Annabelle" streaming at Billboard.
- Jimmy Eat World
- TRACK "Get Right" streaming at YouTube (lyric video).
- Kaiser Chiefs
- TRACK "Hole In My Soul" streaming at YouTube.
- Kool Keith
- TRACK "Super Hero" (feat. MF Doom) streaming at Billboard.
- TRACK "NIV" streaming at NPR.
- LVL UP
- TRACK "Hidden Driver" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Bird Song" (alternate Diplo-produced version) streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Where" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Mac Miller
- TRACK "We" (feat. Cee-Lo Green) streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Cruel World" streaming at YouTube.
- TRACK "Talent" streaming at YouTube.
- Tim Presley
- TRACK "Long Bow" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Isaiah Rashad
- TRACK "i mean" streaming at SoundCloud.
- TRACK "Like a Star" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Britney Spears
- TRACK "Do You Wanna Come Over?" streaming at Spotify.
- Tanya Tagaq
- TRACK "Aorta" streaming at YouTube.
- The Tallest Man On Earth
- TRACK "Rivers" streaming at SoundCloud.
- Teenage Fanclub
- TRACK "Thin Air" streaming at YouTube.
- Touché Amoré
- TRACK "Skyscraper" streaming at Spin.
- The Wedding Present
- TRACK "Rachel" streaming at CoS.
- Bob Weir
- TRACK "Only a River" streaming at NPR.
On TV this week (new episodes only)
- Monday: Jon Bellion (Meyers), De La Soul (Fallon)
- Tuesday: Blood Orange (Conan), Diana Gordon (Colbert), Kongos (Kimmel), Dolly Parton (Fallon)
- Wednesday: Anthrax (Meyers), Florida Georgia Line (Fallon), Kip Moore (Colbert), Lindsey Stirling (Conan), Kiefer Sutherland (Kimmel)
- Thursday: Car Seat Headrest (Colbert), Jidenna (Kimmel), Barbra Streisand & Alec Baldwin (Fallon), Wolf Parade (Conan)
Recent artist and industry news
- Metallica and Roger Waters are among the performers booked for Neil Young's 30th annual Bridge School Benefit this fall.
The latest music videos
Frank Ocean, "Nikes":
Neon Indian, "Annie":
Omar Rodríguez-López, "Pineapple Face, Not Even Toad Loves You":
Peter Bjorn and John, "Dominos":
Banks, "Gemini Feed":
Danny L Harle feat. Carly Rae Jepsen, "Super Natural":
The Faint, "Skylab1979":
Will Butler, "Friday Night":
Thee Oh Sees, "Dead Man's Gun":
Against Me!, "Crash":
Coldplay, "A Head Full of Dreams":
In the studio / coming soon
- Metallica's first proper studio album since 2008, Hardwired…To Self-Destruct spans two discs (or three, in a deluxe version) and arrives on November 18. - Billboard
- Danny Brown's intriguing-sounding new album Atrocity Exhibition—which is influenced by Joy Division and Bjork (!), and is being released on Warp Records (!)—has been given a September 30 release date. Rolling Stone talks to Brown about the album.
- The upcoming Gorillaz album will feature appearances by De La Soul, Snoop Dogg, Vic Mensa, Jean Michel-Jarre, and more. There's still no release date. - CoS
- A Tribe Called Quest's comeback album, which includes contributions from Phife Dawg prior to his death in March, could arrive "very soon." - Rolling Stone
- French Montana's album MC4, expected to arrive last week, is now scheduled for an October 14 release.
- The Tyde's first album in a decade, Darren 4, will be out on September 9.
Visit Metacritic's Album Release Calendar for a full listing of upcoming release dates, updated daily.