7.2

1. Dec 28, 2012
    It's not very often that a game comes around that actually listens to the requests of a series fans. Adventure Time : Hey Ice King Why'd you steal our Garbage, does that. And it does it well. The only complaint that I'd really have about this game, is that it is solely fanbased. Being a fan of the Adventure Time series, it was easy for me to understand what Wayforward was trying to do, andIt's not very often that a game comes around that actually listens to the requests of a series fans. Adventure Time : Hey Ice King Why'd you steal our Garbage, does that. And it does it well. The only complaint that I'd really have about this game, is that it is solely fanbased. Being a fan of the Adventure Time series, it was easy for me to understand what Wayforward was trying to do, and why the game played out the way that it does. It is quite a short game, even with the New Game + mode, which ups the difficulty of the bosses. I think that if you're looking for a game to casually pass the time, and you are a fan of the series, then this game is a must have. However if you've never seen a single episode, or are looking for a game with length, then this isn't the game that you should be looking at. If you are a 3DS owner, then I suggest going into the eshop and downloading the demo first. Expand
  2. Apr 14, 2013
    I had fun with this game I love the series but this game had many flaws in it for one its very short many of the items you find are useless and the combat got a little boring but it was a lot of fun the characters were great I think everyone was in here the 3d was good in certain spots if you love the show pick this up
  3. Dec 1, 2015
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!! was an overall enjoyable experience. It took me five hours to beat, and I did it all in one sitting. The difficulty is extremely easy (that is, until the extremely difficult final boss), which makes this an easy recommendation for parents that want to gift this to their child. Unfortunately, it will feel a little boring forAdventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!! was an overall enjoyable experience. It took me five hours to beat, and I did it all in one sitting. The difficulty is extremely easy (that is, until the extremely difficult final boss), which makes this an easy recommendation for parents that want to gift this to their child. Unfortunately, it will feel a little boring for experienced players. The good news is that I don't have any major complaints after playing. Looking at the big picture, it's a pretty good game. However, there were three minor complaints I had that took away from an otherwise great game.

1. The combat system: Don't get me wrong, the controls in this game were actually pretty great. I never found myself blaming the controls for any of my mistakes. However, the way that the combat in the game is structured annoyed me. Here's why:

In most games of this genre (Platformer/ARPG), you encounter various enemies roaming throughout each level. In platformers, the enemies will usually drop useful items, currency, or otherwise help you amass some sort of valuable material in the game, even if it just contributes to your overall high score. On the other hand, RPG games tend to have enemies that give you XP points upon their defeat. In other words, you level up in most RPGs by defeating monsters, otherwise known as "grinding." The problem with AT:HIKWYSOG?!! is that while it appears that it's a hybrid of the two genres, it uses neither of these mechanics. Occasionally the enemies will drop food (in my experience, very rarely) that will give you a trivial health boost. However, all of the useful items can be found in various parts of the level, and often don't even "drop" from any sort of enemy at all. Additionally, the way in which you level up has nothing to do with enemies at all. Instead, you just need to find chests to open that boost one of your stats. Therefore, the game incentivizes a reckless style of game play, in which you can just "parkour" your way through the levels, finding the fastest way to jump over each enemy, or ignore them entirely. Looking back, I could have easily beaten the game again while attacking little to no enemies at all. It simply feels like developers put enemies into the levels because they felt like they had to.

The developers attempted to fix this by adding semi-random encounters to the over world, and upon encountering one of these monsters, you are thrust into a subworld in which you fight enemies for a random item. While this does have more purpose than the standard enemies, I found this more of an unnecessary nuisance more than anything, and tried to avoid them at all cost when possible.

2. At times, the game felt tedious: It could just be a problem that comes with the fact that I marathon'ed this game, but there were a few things in AT:HIKWYSOG?!! that made the game feel sluggish, and very tedious. The biggest problem was the over world. Throughout the entire game, Finn/Jake must walk through the over world to get to various regions. This mechanic is fine, and brings some ARPG elements to the game, but the problem is that they walk at a snail's pace, and (as far as I know) you can't do anything to speed up the process. This wouldn't be a big deal if it were brief moments in which you use the over world, but it felt like over half of the game was spent waiting for Finn/Jake to crawl over to where I wanted to go. The game rewards exploration, but you never feel compelled to explore unless you know where you need to go, otherwise you could lose an hour of your time! Other factors also contributed to a tedious feeling throughout the game as well. For example, the ambiguity of the game had me stuck two or three times. Considering that a running gag throughout the game was how straightforward the Ice King's riddles are, I find it ironic that one of the game's flaws was that I couldn't figure out what it wanted me to do a few times. I ended up relying on the internet, only to find that I probably could have figured it out if it weren't for the game's ambiguous naming conventions.

3. The lack of overall polish: Although the game is designed much better than Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! for the 3DS (I'm still trying to forget about that game, but that's a whole other can of worms), it feels lackluster at times. Whether it's the low quality audio, the occasional visual bug (often times a sort of flicker effect), or the repetitive (although catchy) sound track, the game lacked the polish of other 3DS titles. It's a shame, because at first glance the game looks very nice, and I have to admit that the pixel art is very well done. Even though I feel like this shouldn't be an issue, it kept coming back into my head as I was playing, and it takes away from the immersive qualities of a game.

With those complaints aside, I still feel that this game has its redeeming qualities, but just know that it's only mediocre.
  4. Dec 12, 2015
    It's a pretty solid game. If you like Adventure Time you'll like this. It's a fun little retro-styled game. The down side is that it is a really short game, which makes it feel a bit rushed.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 23 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 27, 2014
    Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage? is not really the typical lazy tie-in created as an easy cash cow: here and there you can see some intriguing ideas and cool stuff "à la Adventure Time", yet the inconsistency of the gameplay and the lack of fun seriously compromise the overall experience. Wouldn't it be time for a truly mathematical videogame?
  2. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Apr 13, 2014
    Less fun to play than it is to watch. [Apr 2014, p.91]
  3. Mar 6, 2014
    There’s no obvious explanation about why the original game is released in Europe after its sequel. Calendar mysteries notwithstanding, Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?! is a fun, entertaining and colourful experience, keeping the game close to its animated origins. Its short longevity and repetitiveness may disappoint more demanding players, though.