- Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
- Release Date: Oct 25, 2013
- Also On: PlayStation Vita
- Summary: Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is a 2.5-D game developed by Armature Studio that brings the Batman Arkham experience for the first time to Nintendo and Sony handheld systems. A companion game to Batman: Arkham Origins, players can continue the storyline of the console version and discoverBatman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is a 2.5-D game developed by Armature Studio that brings the Batman Arkham experience for the first time to Nintendo and Sony handheld systems. A companion game to Batman: Arkham Origins, players can continue the storyline of the console version and discover more detalis of the Dark Knight's past.… Expand
- Developer: Armature Studio
- Genre(s): Action, Action Adventure, Fantasy, General, Platformer, Fantasy,
- # of players: No Online Multiplayer
- Cheats: On GameFAQs
- More Details and Credits »
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - Under New Management Trailer
Positive: 2 out of 7
Mixed: 5 out of 7
Negative: 0 out of 7
Official Nintendo Magazine UKDec 29, 2013Lumpy in places, thumpy in others, this is generally good fun. [Dec 2013, p.86]
Nov 20, 2013The graphics are excellent and the bulk of the combat is faithful to what fans have come to expect, but a middling story, so-so custcenes, and sometimes frustrating level design keep Blackgate from reaching the heights it’s capable of. Regardless, there’s plenty to love about Blackgate and it deserves a shot from Arkham and non-Arkham fans alike.
Oct 28, 2013Since portable versions and spin-offs of console games usually come up short, we went into Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate with low expectations and discovered a quality experience that favors brains just as much as brawn.
Oct 25, 2013Blackgate doesn't overstay its welcome, clocking in around a lean 6 hours; completionists can expect to take closer to 8 hours tracking down every last object. And while much of Blackgate feels like an attempt to emulate bigger and better Batman games, it's still quite enjoyable in its own right.
Nov 7, 2013What Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate lacks in its plot, it more than makes up for with its gameplay. It may not be on par with its console brethren, but it’s still an enjoyable experience, whether or not you’ve played previous games in the series.
Oct 10, 2014If more Batman is desired, and the new game releasing next year can't be waited for, this is an acceptable purchase.
Dec 23, 2013Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is a game that is brimming with great ideas that are, sadly, poorly executed.
Positive: 4 out of 8
Mixed: 2 out of 8
Negative: 2 out of 8
Oct 28, 2013I am sick of people writing reviews of games they did not finish. this game is not going to be like the consoles! it is not going to be likeI am sick of people writing reviews of games they did not finish. this game is not going to be like the consoles! it is not going to be like anything you've ever played. it is neither metroid or castlevannia, it is batman on the 3ds. gameplay is very well thought out and the puzzles may be simple but the game is a definite change of pace from the floods of rpg games hitting the 3ds. if it is too short then play it twice! this is a great game for a great device. if u have a 3ds and like batman, get this game. if u r looking for a console version, buy the console version.… Expand
Oct 26, 2013Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate is a lot like playing a 2D Metroid game, but with Batman, which is awesome. It makes sense that it should haveBatman Arkham Origins Blackgate is a lot like playing a 2D Metroid game, but with Batman, which is awesome. It makes sense that it should have a bit of a Metroid flavor since many of the people who worked on this game also worked on the Metroid Prime games. You explore Blackgate Prison trying to take down Penguin, Black Mask, and The Joker while collecting gadgets, armor upgrades, and much more. The combat is a simplified version of the system from the other Arkham games. In this game you just punch,counter, and do takedowns and it feels surprisingly good. The combination of good combat, great exploration, and excellent setting have made for a fantastic game which I've had trouble putting down. The bottom-line is if you like Batman, Metroid, or both then buy it.… Expand
Aug 15, 20181st Impression:
This game is fun! It's like a mini version of modern Batman games. You have this cool (but silly) story being told via1st Impression:
This game is fun! It's like a mini version of modern Batman games. You have this cool (but silly) story being told via comic art in the Batman universe, and then you go around kicking butt, solving puzzles, and sneaking about in a creepy, underground setting. What more do you want?
Though I can see why some didn't like it. One, the combat system is a bit complex. Two, sometimes you get stuck, because you don't know what to do, and as a player you are over-reliant on your detective vision. Meaning, you have to scan the area before you can progress. Also, yeah, the story's not too deep, or complex, but it works. The art, and music is rad though.
Overall, I find the game is well constructed. It uses almost all the capabilities of the 3DS to immerse you in Batman's universe. It's "2.5D" meaning it doesn't feel flat. It has an open-world feel, and you change angles a lot, and get to see in different perspectives.
Sometimes you crawl through air-shafts, and you are put in a first person view. Other times, you are perched on a ledge, looking down at your attackers. And they have slow motion, dramatic camera footage for when you finish beating up the final bad guy in a scene.
Another thing they have is hacking, and while it isn't deep, it adds a bit of fun by letting you use the system's motion-sensor. You can level up too, find secret areas, collect new weapons, and meet all the baddies you'd expect to see in the Batman-verse. Off the top my head, there's the Penguin, the Joker, and the luscious Catwoman.
Though technically this isn't as huge as the "regular" Batman games there's much to enjoy. All the little touches make this fun. And by the way the 3D looks great.
After playing this game a lot more, I can see this game has problems.
- Spikes = Annoying!
- There's a bug when you rescue the Warden. You go into the bathroom, and try to open the door, the game freezes. This doesn't break the game though. You can return to your last checkpoint, and do it again.
- In the south-east industrial area, you climb up to this secret area, and drop down, and the game freezes.
- 3rd bug. If you return to where you already rescued the hostages it counts down again, and since there's nobody to rescue, you die.
- You do these weird tasks but get no reward. I exploded all of Joker's chattering teeth, and got nothing.
- Some slowdown in game, and slow but bearable loading times.
- When you're playing the game you can't adjust the map on the touch screen to zoom in, and out, or move it around. Why? There's also no active compass to tell you where to go.
- We have no quick travel feature to exit to go onto the next mission. You have to do a lot of backtracking, which isn't enjoyable at all. I don't wanna run around for 20 minutes.
- Levels are barren, and boring after you've killed the enemies. The enemies should reappear after a certain amount of time, and should be weaker, too, just so people don't feel frustrated having to fight enemies again, but this would also give them something to do.
- More baddies wouldn't have hurt actually. If it was my choice, I would've added in some weaker enemies just for Batman to beat up for fun. Guys you can knock out with 1 or 2 hits.
- Upgrading is such a chore. It takes too long to upgrade. The game designers have used upgrades as a way to stretch out gameplay, and make gamers explore. I don't think it's a great idea. It shouldn't this hard to upgrade. If you wanna stretch out gameplay, and make players explore, then have something else they can collect but ignore if they want. Maybe if you collect enough of "X" item you will get artwork, and videos to watch, etc. Or maybe you can change the look of your costume.
- The upgrade system should be like in RPGs. The more baddies you beat up the higher your level goes.
- The weapons you have should do more. Why can't I hit enemies with my Batarang? Why can't I stun them with the explosive gel? How about using the Batclaw to pull in enemies, and throw them?
- It would be nice if there was a stronger stealth element to this game. One idea I thought of, using the Batarang to knock out the lights, leaving the enemies in the dark. Then you can turn on your "night vision" and take them out when they're stumbling around in the darkness.
- When Batman jumps he almost always struggles. 99% of the time he barely makes it, and has to hang onto a ledge, and pull himself up. He's Batman. C'mon.
- Sometimes Catwoman gives Batman advice, but we can't listen to it again. Why not? Or am I mistaken?
- A few more boss battles would've been nice. It didn't feel like there were many bosses. - Letting us replay the game as other characters would've been cool. How about playing as Catwoman? - I didn't like the anticlimactic ending. And that's all I have to say! This is still a fun game!… Expand
Oct 26, 2013If you are expecting an open world Batman game then you are going to be disappointed. Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate is a Metroidvania game.If you are expecting an open world Batman game then you are going to be disappointed. Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate is a Metroidvania game. As for Batman you ar limited to punches. His gadgets such as Batarangs are only available when an icon shows up on screen. I am disappointed by this game but it's not horrible.… Expand
Oct 8, 2014This game is fun and all, but not like the same batman games, because like when you die, it just says "Game Over" and nothing cool. on Batman:This game is fun and all, but not like the same batman games, because like when you die, it just says "Game Over" and nothing cool. on Batman: Alcome City, the grafics are good and when you die, it shows the joker saying stuff and when he finishes talking, the game gives you hints of beating the this that your stuck on but on black gate, it doesn't. in the begginging on black gates, it is not easy for a begginer. AND why is it in 2d even thought it is on a 3DS? Their is no blood and the second time you battle cat women, it is IMPOSSIBLE to beat her when she blinds you. When the game does videos, it on paper and no grafics. i think the creators should do a better job on the 3DS version because having a 2d batman game wile the playstashon3 has 3d batman game is not fair.… Expand
Jun 25, 2020El juego promete hasta que comienza. El sidescroll pudo usarse de mejor manera, pero varias mecánicas se sienten torpes (como los quick timeEl juego promete hasta que comienza. El sidescroll pudo usarse de mejor manera, pero varias mecánicas se sienten torpes (como los quick time events o el método de eliminación instantanea). Aunque recuerde a los Metroidvania, el mapa no ayuda nada al jugar para que pueda orientarse en Blackgate.… Expand
Mar 23, 2018This game it's tedious and repetitive. Its gameplay it's bad, and the story it's just nothing but filler. You will only like it if you're aThis game it's tedious and repetitive. Its gameplay it's bad, and the story it's just nothing but filler. You will only like it if you're a super Batman fan.… Expand
- (1 view)
- (32 views)