8.3

Buy Now
Buy on

1. May 24, 2013
    This is a great game, quite difficult since it's start. I can't feel the same Rareware magic that I felt while playing DonkeyKongLand2 for first time but it's still a great game.

Welcome back Kong
  2. May 27, 2013
    10 out of 10. One of my favorite games of all time! This game does everything right, from the graphics, to gameplay, to music, to content, to overall presentation. DKC Returns doesn't just do everything right, it EXCELS in every aspect of what makes a game fun. Sometimes I even go into the "Extras" menu just to listen to the in-game music I've unlocked- it's THAT good! The ONLY thing I10 out of 10. One of my favorite games of all time! This game does everything right, from the graphics, to gameplay, to music, to content, to overall presentation. DKC Returns doesn't just do everything right, it EXCELS in every aspect of what makes a game fun. Sometimes I even go into the "Extras" menu just to listen to the in-game music I've unlocked- it's THAT good! The ONLY thing I wish they would have added to this game with respect to the original, is an underwater stage with Enguard from the original trilogy. Oddly, Retro Studios did not see it fit to include any underwater levels in the original, and had Monster Games even added one within the 8 new levels of World-9, I could have died a happy man. Still this game is as close to perfect as they come. HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommended!!! Expand
  3. Jun 1, 2013
    Prepare to be annihilated...again, and loving it! DKC Returns is one of the best platformer to be released in the 'last' generation or so. It still retains its hard as nail game play, but adapting it for portable play on the 3DS. I am embarrased to admit that I am one of the many who used the 'auto play' feature many times during the 'killer levels' on the Wii. Suffice to say, I amPrepare to be annihilated...again, and loving it! DKC Returns is one of the best platformer to be released in the 'last' generation or so. It still retains its hard as nail game play, but adapting it for portable play on the 3DS. I am embarrased to admit that I am one of the many who used the 'auto play' feature many times during the 'killer levels' on the Wii. Suffice to say, I am determined to finish this time with my own accord. For newbies, there is the New Mode that gave you a lot of extra 'freebies' to finish the game. But mind you, this is a Hard game but never unfair. The visuals are on par with the Wii version. Many have said that the frame rate was reduced to 30fps, but on a small screen, it doesn't matter that much. The controls are much improved due to the lack of 'waggling' for some of DK's action, sometimes leading to unexpected deaths in the Wii version. The question is: should you double dip if you owned the Wii version? Well, at least for me, playing it on a portable version allow me to slip a level during my free time. Getting killed of a mine cart level for the 40th time on world 4-3 feels less frustrating on the portable version. Just close up your 3DS and play another time. If you haven't played this on the Wii, this is an essential buy. Expand
  4. May 26, 2013
    I barely touched the Wii version because the controls were flaky and the game didn't look great on a HDTV. Although the game is aliasing a lot on 3DS, it's much more comfortable for me and the controls are great on a 3DSXL (not sure if it's very comfortable on a 3DS classic because we need to use the triggers a lot).

In a nutshell, best platform game for a very long time
  5. Jul 5, 2013
    This game is simply awesome. It's essentially the Wii version, but with an extra world, a new mode for beginners, and running at 30 fps. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D has amazing level design that blows away the Mario Bros. titles. The game controls very well, looks great, and sounds great. The game is quite difficult, even while playing in the easy mode, but is still fun overall. IThis game is simply awesome. It's essentially the Wii version, but with an extra world, a new mode for beginners, and running at 30 fps. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D has amazing level design that blows away the Mario Bros. titles. The game controls very well, looks great, and sounds great. The game is quite difficult, even while playing in the easy mode, but is still fun overall. I highly recommend this game for your 3DS if you loved the Donkey Kong Country games for the SNES, or you simply want to play a challenging platformer. Expand
  6. Apr 10, 2015
    This is one if the best games on the 3DS. Got it at Black Friday 2014 for only $15 USD. The graphics are great. WAAAY better than the Wii Version. The gameplay is awesome. The music is cool, especially Gear Getaway. The controls were bad at first because I was used to SSB controlls. Got used to it though. Diddy Kong is awesome. The new 3 heart mode is SO frigging awesome. The stages wereThis is one if the best games on the 3DS. Got it at Black Friday 2014 for only $15 USD. The graphics are great. WAAAY better than the Wii Version. The gameplay is awesome. The music is cool, especially Gear Getaway. The controls were bad at first because I was used to SSB controlls. Got used to it though. Diddy Kong is awesome. The new 3 heart mode is SO frigging awesome. The stages were cool, and highly designed. If you don't like DKCR, you are silly as JB. This is a great 3DS game and it is worth buying. It is around $30. Expand
  7. Jun 22, 2013
    When Donkey Kong Country came out on the SNES it was a class above anything I'd ever seen before on a console. Donkey Kong Country Returns builds upon that game and brings it to the 21st Century though it's not the quantum leap from all other platformers that the original was.

That being said, this is a very good platformer with great graphics, wonderful sound, and many challenging and fun levels. Overall, DK is back and this one will bring a smile to the face of those new to the franchise and those who have played previous games.

The only people that will hate this game are Sony as it's yet another nail in the coffin of the Vita.
  8. Jun 17, 2013
    I grown up playing DKC series on SNES and for those asking, YES the feeling is the same! they brought it back!
    Pros Graphics Sound Thrill of platforming
    Cons Circle pad response
  9. Jun 10, 2013
    I grew up playing the SNES DKC's and they were loads of fun and extremely challenging. I can say the same thing about this game. I didn't play the Wii version when it came out so this game is new for me. The graphics are great, but not perfect. That didn't deter me from the game at all though. The gameplay gets harder as you progress through the level and using power ups is a plus.I grew up playing the SNES DKC's and they were loads of fun and extremely challenging. I can say the same thing about this game. I didn't play the Wii version when it came out so this game is new for me. The graphics are great, but not perfect. That didn't deter me from the game at all though. The gameplay gets harder as you progress through the level and using power ups is a plus. The new mode is slightly easier, but still pretty damn challenging. There are a ton of collectibles and unlockables. This is a must-have game! Expand
  10. Jun 18, 2013
    I'm not a DK fan. I did play the SNES games back then and liked them, but never been a fan of the series, just liked it and that's all. I was on the fence about buying this one, I read a lot of reviews but still, I had the feeling that DK was just not for me, and I was wrong.
    I decided to buy the game, played for 2 hours I think and found out that the game is awesome. Great gameplay, beautiful visuals, excelent music.

This is what platformers should be like, there are a lot of things that make this game stand out from every other platformer I have ever played. Not even Rayman has this kind of gameplay, the stages are awesome, you are not just running ont he ground, you get to climb, get on some kind of boat, the mine carts, etc.

As everyone mentioned, the backgrounds are just great, the stages feel alive thanks to that.

I recommend this game to anyone, it doesn't matter if you are not a fan of the DKC series. Just go, and buy the game, you won't regret it.
  11. Jun 20, 2013
    Lovely platformer on the 3DS and quite challenging in places when my son asks me to get him past a bit he's stuck on. The 3D works well with this title too.
    A refreshing addition and a really good game.
  12. Jul 6, 2013
    Wow, an amazing experience! I expected a fun sidescroller game and got so much more. A very dynamic world, much because of the background actually having a purpose instead of just being a backround. Very nice 3D effects and it still holds up very well if you decide not to use it. FLAWLESS, and I would like to emphasize, FLAWLESS level design, with every level being based on something newWow, an amazing experience! I expected a fun sidescroller game and got so much more. A very dynamic world, much because of the background actually having a purpose instead of just being a backround. Very nice 3D effects and it still holds up very well if you decide not to use it. FLAWLESS, and I would like to emphasize, FLAWLESS level design, with every level being based on something new and interesting! Fun bosses, interesting game mechanics and a soundtrack to die for. I also liked the difficulty, a very hard and therefore also rewarding game. Easily one of the best games I've played on my 3DS, I don't regret bying it one bit. Expand
  13. Oct 21, 2013
    It's the donkey's bollocks. Nicely paced, graduating difficulty and vast replay scope if you are
    up for the serious challenges. Otherwise, the art style is lovely and the game has all the charm you'd expect from Nintendo. A must play if you love platformers and missed playing it on the wii.
  14. May 28, 2013
    Disclaimer: Donkey Kong Country is my favorite platforming series of all time. Out of all the amazing SNES games, I'd rank Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest straight at number one. Having never owned a Wii, I had been counting the days to get my hands on Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D.

The good news is: it is absolutely amazing. Every production value here is through the roof. The graphics are incredible, with perhaps the best use of the 3D effect I have ever seen in a 3DS game. The music, another hallmark of excellence in the series, remains completely immersive, with the Kenji Yamamoto compositions doing justice to the incredible old tunes by David Wise and Eveline Fischer. The controls, which apparently were almost a dealbreaker in the Wii version, work perfectly. There is an "easy" mode, as well (but come on, the ridiculous difficulty is yet another DK trait you shouldn't miss out on).

Thankfully, and as always, Donkey Kong's quest is filled to the brim with collectibles. The KONG letters are given newfound importance, while puzzle pieces are scattered through every world (often as rewards to the much-beloved bonus minigames). A source of disappointment, however, is the lack of DK coins. Finding one of those, huge and majestic, after lots and lots of searching, was a reward like no other. They had an epic feel that, sadly, no items here manage to recapture.

Perhaps the saddest part of the game is the lack of animal buddies (only Ranbi the Rhino is available, while Squawks the Parrot has a small side role). They were one of the most fun parts of the SNES games, especially in the fantastic "animal barrel" stages, where you assumed full contol rather than merely riding them. Their absence is really unexcusable, and it's almost enough to compel me into dropping the perfect rating.

Still, if you haven't played the originals, chances are you'll find nary a flaw in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. Feel absolutely free to dismiss my few points of criticism as ramblings of a huge fan of the series, who is naturally bound to be more demanding. This is an absolute must-buy if you're a fan of platforming, as it's quite likely the best game the 3DS will ever see in the genre.
  15. May 26, 2013
    I just can't believe they put a full fledged wii game on the 3ds. Diddy's Kong Quest was one of the best Donkey Kong games I've ever played and it sits in the top 10 best games I've ever played. This one is a whole new twist that doesn't take away from the originals. Retro has their own flavor and they respect the Rareware games as well by not using their enemies. Utimately it's aI just can't believe they put a full fledged wii game on the 3ds. Diddy's Kong Quest was one of the best Donkey Kong games I've ever played and it sits in the top 10 best games I've ever played. This one is a whole new twist that doesn't take away from the originals. Retro has their own flavor and they respect the Rareware games as well by not using their enemies. Utimately it's a fantastic game that does better on the 3ds with all the entertainment coming at your face from the background. I'm just overly impressed and I hope that Nintendo keeps coming up with rereleases like this. I never got to play Skyward sword and am wondering if they could put that on the 3ds as well. I'm sure that would go over extremely well too. Expand
  16. May 24, 2013
    I have played this game for a few hours and it is wonderful. The game despite devolved for Wii, is much more suited on the 3ds due to the foreground to background play and keep all content from the original with a new world. My only complaint is the 30 fps but you get used to it quickly.
  17. Nov 26, 2013
    I've played the old Donkey Kong Country games for years. I grew up with them. When I saw that there was a new Donkey Kong platformer, I purchased this game after reading some reviews. I am very displeased with this game.

For starters, none of the game mechanics feel right. Donkey Kong doesn't jump as far as he usually does, and it can really throw the player off. Your roll attack now has a distance on it. The game places 3 enemies in a row, your natural reaction is to roll through it. You get through 2 of them, and take damage from the 3rd. Did I mention that you have health now? You'll need it because you're gonna end up getting hit multiple times.

At least Diddy Kong doubles your health. And also gives you the ability to hover for a short distance. Which is great and all, but it's one of the only ways that the game is playable. Take away Diddy's hover and you're stuck meticulously misjudging every single one of Donkey's jumps.

One of the things I wanted to find in this game was classic style controls, because honestly, I hate playing 2-d style platformers with the circle pad. Thankfully, there's a control pad option so you can control with the d-pad, but it changes every single one of the other controls. With the circle pad you can roll with y, but for some random reason when you switch to control pad you have to use the shoulder buttons. I tried to switch over to have a more classic style experience, but was left with having to meticulously re-figure out the controls while standing still.

This game loses a lot of the old flow the old games had. All of the fun in the old Donkey Kong games was running through them as fast as possible, collecting bananas and Kong letters. It was fun. This game feels more like I'm doing housework, or it's reminding me that it's a kid game and I have to take it slow. Then it puts you in a fast paced level as you watch Donkey's pathetic athletic skills as he ambles and stumbles his way across the level.

The game has it's cool points, don't get me wrong. The wall clinging feature is really neat, and the parts where you go into the background is pretty cool, if not difficult to see. The game looks great. It's just not a Donkey Kong game. I'm as much confused as I am disappointed with this title. If you want to play it, rent it. Don't shell out the 30 bucks to purchase it.
  18. Feb 22, 2014
    This is easily on of the best games i have played in a long time. Fantastic level design, great graphics, smooth gameplay and remarkable soundtracks. Every level feels diffrent from the last, and theres so many hidden areas to explore, not to mention the great amount of collectibles. The boss fights are really great aswell. Highly recommend this game.
  19. May 7, 2015
    I can't believe that this game is on the 3DS! Why wasn't it originally on the 3DS? There is a lot of background play that makes it perfect for the 3ds! This game is almost amazing (but still worthy a 10) there is one little flaw I tend to ignore: The controls on the Rocket Barrel levels! Get the game you'll know what I mean! Besides this minor flaw the game is fantastic!
  20. Sep 10, 2016
    Mediocre game with nice graphics and production value, but with some framerate issues and unresponsive controls on the 3DS.

The original Donkey Kong Country was fun 22 years ago, but let's be frank, it sold mostly on its graphics, even back then. Those were the main attraction, the gameplay was nothing special even by '94 standards. So how come this remake which is more or less the same thing with updated graphics, and its inferior port on the handheld, get so high reviews? Is it Nostalgia? Is it the Nintendo brand name? What?

This game is totally overrated, and unless you just love platformers, you can safely skip it. And if you own a Wii, definitely get it on the Wii, as the port is bad.
  21. Jul 25, 2013
    I've rarely been put down so quickly by something that was presented as one of this console's "AAA" titles. The control is awkward, the game play is stale and the difficulty varies at complete random even within a stage itself. I could easily compare this title to Rayman Origins, but the only result of this would be I'd recommend Rayman Origins instead, period. Mario, Rayman, you simplyI've rarely been put down so quickly by something that was presented as one of this console's "AAA" titles. The control is awkward, the game play is stale and the difficulty varies at complete random even within a stage itself. I could easily compare this title to Rayman Origins, but the only result of this would be I'd recommend Rayman Origins instead, period. Mario, Rayman, you simply handle this genre way better and Donkey Kong.... nnnnot soooo muuuuch (Borat voice). Expand
  22. Feb 25, 2014
    All and all this game is ok, it stays true to the whole 2D side scrolling concept but falls short of entertaining. I have more fun playing Zelda, Mario, or Monster hunter currently and playing this game just feels like a choir. I would stay away from it and hope for a more innovative donkey kong country game to be released. Feels like a cheap mobile phone game. If the 3Ds would justAll and all this game is ok, it stays true to the whole 2D side scrolling concept but falls short of entertaining. I have more fun playing Zelda, Mario, or Monster hunter currently and playing this game just feels like a choir. I would stay away from it and hope for a more innovative donkey kong country game to be released. Feels like a cheap mobile phone game. If the 3Ds would just release SNES titles on the 3DS already I would just pay for the SNES version of Donkey Kong Country, heck I would even pay $30 for the SNES version on the 3Ds over this garbage. I am rating this a 0 just to bring the score down as many of these reviews of a "10" is over nostalgia and may miss lead others into paying for this title. My honest score is a 5. Expand
  23. Jun 11, 2013
    A fun side scroller. But we been there, it was released before and it's still just a run-of-the-mill side scroller. I think we're in a time where there's almost nothing that can happen to make this genre great again.
  24. May 11, 2015
    I haven't played the Wii version, but I have played the original DKC trilogy on SNES, so this review will naturally include comparisons to those.

This game captures the style and flavour of those games, but of course with much prettier polygonal 3D graphics. In some ways this lacks the amazement of the originals, which anyone old enough will remember were really quite special on the SNES, but they are certainly amongst the crispest, prettiest graphics on the 3DS.

The 3D effect is the best I have yet encountered, especially when you find yourself shooting deeper into the screen in some short sections of the levels (you will experience this towards the end of level 1-1, so you don't wait long to see it. Unfortunately I have also found that I struggle to maintain focus on the 3D such that it wobbles about and flickers on occasion, more than in any other game. This is on New 3DS with Super Stable 3D enabled. It's only occasional, so doesn't distract too much, but does take a few seconds to right itself when it does happen. The HUD has some nice intergration with the game, such as the health bar in the top left shaking as you pound the ground. The HUD also uses the 3D depth well, floating as it does above the main game.

The levels are expansive, taking several minutes to complete each one. During this time, you will face many difficulties even from the first stage. The enemy placement and movement patterns, high inertia on DK himself, and tricky platforming will challenge you. I'm also playing it in "original mode" for the best challenge, but the game does come with a "New mode" which makes the game easier for those that want it. Sadly you can't switch between the two modes within a save, but the cartridge has 3 save slots so you could sample both if you want to try without losing progress.

Controls have two options - using the analog stick of the D-pad. You can change this during a game, and your choice also changes the other controls - either using Y/X or L/R for rolling, pounding the ground, or blowing - you can blow dandelions to get bananas or hearts, and pounding the ground serves to daze nearby enemies or access hidden areas below you.

All in all this is a great update to the ideas brought about 20 years ago. I'm glad I bought it, and look forward to revisiting it every couple of years. There is plenty of length in the game, and plenty of challenge for the most hardcore platform fan - and the new mode makes it more accessible for those who want it a little easier.
  25. Jul 1, 2013
    I would like to clarify that this is a review of the features added to the game itself, rather then the game. So the score you see is based on how much has been changed. My score for the original game Wii game would be a 10 by the way. So Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is exactly what it sounds like, a 3ds version of the Wii modern classic. As the title implies, there is now a 3D effect asI would like to clarify that this is a review of the features added to the game itself, rather then the game. So the score you see is based on how much has been changed. My score for the original game Wii game would be a 10 by the way. So Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is exactly what it sounds like, a 3ds version of the Wii modern classic. As the title implies, there is now a 3D effect as well. The 3D can be astonishing at times as it doesn't overdo it til your eyes hurt, but does it enough to not feel like a throwaway gimmick. The visuals are nearly as good as the Wii title, with the exception of a few muddy textures. The framerate now runs at about 30 frames per second rather then the Wii versions smooth 60. That being said, the framerate is the only thing in this version that can feel bad. However, it does have a few new positive features as well. Not seen in the Wii version are 8 new levels comprising a new world. While the levels are some of the funnest in the game, they are also some of the easiest. You actually have to collect all KONG letters and then complete the hardest levels in the game to access this world. This makes them come across as out of place though since they bear almost no challenge compared to the levels prior. My final note about the game being the replacement of motion controls with a simple button tap is an amazing one. The motion controls were my only gripe with the original so them being gone is a complete plus. So overall, if you purchased and completed the original title, then I don't recommend buying this version. While it does have some spiffy new features, they don't justify a second buy. So for that customer I would give it a 7 out of 10. However, if you have never played the original this is a better time then any and the original Wii score remains for the 3D version as a 10 out of 10. Expand
  26. Aug 18, 2014
    Dayum this game is good. Best side scroller since Yogi Bear's Gold Rush on the OG Game Boy. This game is hard, I died hundreds of times. I love red balloons.
  27. Oct 25, 2016
    Game: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
    Genre: Adventure Platformer
    Developer: Nintendo - Retro Studios System: 3DS Total Score: 87/100 Value Score: 8.7/10 • Story: 7/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 8/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 9/10 Pros +New Mode features additional hearts, easier way to unlock
    Game: Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 8/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 9/10

Pros
    +New Mode features additional hearts, easier way to unlock golden temple levels, etc
    +Game is easier than the original - alongside the decreased prices of banana coins, more hearts, you also get get Super Guide after loss of five lives instead of eight
    +Additional World exclusive to 3DS version

Cons
    -Game runs at 30 FPS instead of the original's 60 FPS
    -Textures have less quality compared to original
    -More loading screens/time
    -Take a break popup is annoying
  28. Apr 20, 2014
    This game is pretty hard, but in a way that feels totally fair. When you screw up, it's your own fault. The physics feel good, and very consistent. The music is wonderful even on the tiny speakers of a 3DS XL. I never played the Wii version, so I don't know how it compares really, but this is a very solid 3DS experience.
  29. Mar 13, 2015
    Platformers are not my thing, but I was still blown away by how impressive this game is. The level design is fantastic as each level feels unique and challenging in its own right. Plus, with only a few game mechanics, I couldn't believe the different number of ways that game designers were able to exploit DK's few moves to make new and exciting obstacles in every level. To beat this game,Platformers are not my thing, but I was still blown away by how impressive this game is. The level design is fantastic as each level feels unique and challenging in its own right. Plus, with only a few game mechanics, I couldn't believe the different number of ways that game designers were able to exploit DK's few moves to make new and exciting obstacles in every level. To beat this game, I died well over 300 times, but I only got frustrated a few times, and I could only be frustrated with myself. The game is challenging, but fair. Plus, if you're really having trouble beating a level, there are all kinds of power ups you can use to help yourself get through it (and I'm not talking about the great white ape who beats the level for you- there's no reason to go there).

If I were the platforming type, there's no reason not to give this game a 10- it's practically flawless. To me, a more action-oriented gamer, I still found the game to be highly entertaining.
  30. Jun 7, 2013
    It's a fantastic game, it's very challenging, but it also has the easier mode. Great scenery, great levels, great controls, great soundtrack. Brings back really good memories from the SNES version. -1 point for the frame-rate.
  31. Aug 4, 2013
    Great game to play on the go.

Pretty much the same as the Wii version which was one of the best games for the console. A must have if you like: Platformers Donkey Kong Super Mario Apes and bananas Fun Good video games You havent played the Wii version The 3D is good, I do wish they would let you play multiplayer online. But other than that, you can't reallt find a lot of
    Great game to play on the go.

A must have if you like:

Platformers
    Donkey Kong
    Super Mario
    Apes and bananas
    Fun
    Good video games
    You havent played the Wii version

The 3D is good, I do wish they would let you play multiplayer online. But other than that, you can't reallt find a lot of bad things about this game.

A great addition to the 3DS library, 9 of 10.
  32. Sep 17, 2013
    Wii to 3DS, a nightmare fun

Wii to 3DS, a nightmare fun

when I played the Wii edition it took me a whole year termianr throughout the whole game, but as the years passed and I got the N3DS and find out about the Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, I said "Sere able to face once again to this jeugo in his edition of 3DS? I said yes, buy it and I never thought that I played a Wii game could be adapted so well to a portable, well-detailed levels, secrets are still impressive to even the world secret and not so complicated to use N3DS buttons to avoid any errors in levels and Monster Games developed Retrostudios a great job in this game.
  33. Aug 22, 2013
    The game overall is excellent, but the controls are very unusual and it is also a poor design choice to embed the control options menu so many clicks deep. They really could have streamlined this much more effectively.
  34. Jun 27, 2014
    Perfect platformer! This is truly the spiritual successor to the Donkey Kong country series, well, that was until Tropical Freeze came out, but, I'll review it once I play it.
  35. Jan 4, 2014
    A perfect side-scrolling game, with complex levels and puzzles. It's the best 3DS game that I've played until now. And the extras challenges are fabulous!
  36. Jan 9, 2019
    Not too fun, because of poor design decisions.

THE GOOD: - This is a beautiful game. One of the best you'll see on the 3DS. - No water levels! - The bonus levels are fun. - I enjoyed the dioramas, and art gallery, although it's rather difficult to unlock everything. - The cartoons were nice. - This game's hard to play, so the super guide is helpful. - I like going into Cranky
    Not too fun, because of poor design decisions.

THE GOOD:

- This is a beautiful game. One of the best you'll see on the 3DS.
    - No water levels!
    - The bonus levels are fun.
    - The cartoons were nice.
    - This game's hard to play, so the super guide is helpful.
    - I like going into Cranky Kong's shop, and buying items to help me out. You need this!
    - To me the game is a mixed bag, but when I enjoyed myself, I enjoyed myself. The best levels were reminiscent of the older Donkey Kong Country games.

THE BAD

- Not as good as other Donkey Kong Country games.
    - Even though Donkey Kong has a rich history what you can do in these games is limited.
    - The only animal you get to use in this game is the rhino, and you don't get to use him much. But riding the rhino is really fun! I wanted to use more animals!
    - You can't play as Diddy Kong. Only when you're in two player mode, which requires a second 3DS, and extra copy of the game.
    - The controls are odd. Control scheme one only allows you to use the circle pad, and the second only the d-pad, but it moves around the buttons on the right.

- Donkey Kong feels so fat, and slow. He is not very responsive, and doesn't jump high. He isn't agile.
    - To get through this game you need to have Diddy Kong on your back, but he doesn't stay with you. He is constantly disappearing, and you lose him.
    - So many cheap deaths. There is a lot of falling, and one hit deaths. This is how this game creates replay value. Not through extra content, but making you play certain levels a dozen, or several dozen times.
    - You need precision timing to beat this game, but the 3DS controls don't help. They should have modified the game with the 3DS' controller in mind. There needed to be more forgiveness. The circle pad sucks, and it doesn't feel right with the d-pad.
    - A lot of times you have to spring off the enemies, but the window of time you can do it in is so tight that often you miss. Not a huge problem though.

- When you roll to knock away enemies, you can't keep rolling like Sonic the Hedgehog. You get abruptly stopped, and then lose a heart from getting hit. You don't get to keep you momentum. Lame.
    - When you collide into a wall for the first time you think that you can jump off walls, but nope. Donkey Kong just falls straight down. He's so fat, and stupid.
    - There are so many mine cart levels, but they aren't that fun. Jumping off, or with carts, with perfect timing isn't my idea of fun. It feels punitive, because one hit, or one mistake, you have to start all over again. Though to be fair there is a potion you can use to make this task easier.
    - The barrel rocket levels are creative...but again not fun. I think they really wanted to make one button levels, but it just doesn't feel right. It feels like there's a lot of luck involved, even though that isn't true.
    - At times you need a magnifying glass to know what is happening in the game. This game definitely belongs on a big TV screen. By the way, I played this on a New Nintendo 3DS XL.

- I didn't like how the health meter was in the top left of the upper screen. There should've been an option to move it down to let you see better.
    - I'm a fan of 3D, but this game didn't really pop out. It felt somewhat flat (compared to other 3DS games). This is me nit-picking though.
    - I was disappointed in the mirror mode. I thought you would get to play the levels backwards, doing the last parts first, and the first parts last. Nope. It's literally just mirrored. You do everything the same, but you go right to left instead of left to right, and it's way more difficult because you have one less heart, no Diddy Kong, and no extras.
    - I didn't like how hard it was to unlock all the extras. When you 101% the game you don't unlock all the extras. Nope. You have to 200% it, and you're forced to play the game again, but in mirror mode. Unlocking all the extras is extremely convoluted. You have to do so many different things with no clue as to how you should do it.

CONCLUSION: Not really a bad game, but not a great game either.
  37. Dec 8, 2014
    This is a really fun game, difficult but in a good way every time you lose a life it will most likely be your fault & not the games. The graphics are beautiful the controls are pretty spot on, the game is good all around & a purchase I'm most definitely satisfied with.
  38. Dec 24, 2019
    Its a great Donkey Kong game that uses the 3d of the 3ds to a great effective use.
  39. Sep 13, 2015
    Niiice. DKCR needed a more traditional control scheme to give the player tighter control, and with the 3DS version, it's a far better sight than the Wii version's waggling nonsense. This game takes the formula of the old Donkey Kong Country games (which were the very first games I ever played. In 2004. My folks were broke as hell back then but I didn't mind.) and re-invents it in a shinyNiiice. DKCR needed a more traditional control scheme to give the player tighter control, and with the 3DS version, it's a far better sight than the Wii version's waggling nonsense. This game takes the formula of the old Donkey Kong Country games (which were the very first games I ever played. In 2004. My folks were broke as hell back then but I didn't mind.) and re-invents it in a shiny next-gen package. It's easy to pick up and play, but tough as ever living f*ck. It does what every "tough" game should ever do - make the player feel as if their failures were their fault - not the game's. There's enough fluidity to make the speedrunners feel at home while giving the more thorough players enough meat to eat and take their time with. I'm all for re-mixing old tracks to next gen standards, but I felt as if the composers got lazy and put in a remix to save time and money. Don't get me wrong - they've still got enough variety to get my energy going or chill out a bit more, but some original tracks would've been nice. They've got it in them, if the more experimental levels are anything to go by. Well done, Retro Studios. You've sure got the folks at Rare back in the Englandland a little hot under their collars. Expand
  40. May 1, 2016
    Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is inferior to the original Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii, but it's still great to see Donkey Kong getting cranky about bananas and Diddy Kong in his all-new adventures for the Nintendo 3DS.
  41. May 13, 2016
    El remake para consolas 3DS de "Donkey Kong Country Returns" es tan bueno como la versión de Wii ya que a pesar de que pierde capacidad gráfica gana en comodidad gracias a que todo se maneja con los botones de la portátil.
    El juego es uno de los mejores del género de plataformas del catálogo de 3DS gracias a su desafiante curva de dificultad y los varios coleccionables que le dan mucha rejugabilidad al juego. La historia es simple, un nueva villano robó la reserva de bananas de la familia Kong y es el deber de DK recuperarla con el apoyo de Diddy.
    En general "Donkey Kong Country Returns" es excelente, la animación en 3D se ve bien, los escenarios son vistosos, los bonus son muy del estilo de la serie clásica. Sencillamente un "Must have" si no lo jugaste en Wii.
  42. Feb 19, 2018
    Volvemos a ayudar a Donkey Kong en su misión de recuperar su abastecimiento de bananas robadas de la mano de la tribu tiki de la isla.
    Uno de los mejores juegos de plataformas 2D que tiene el catálogo de 3DS. "Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D" es un excelente port que soluciona los problemas que tenían los controles de movimientos de la versión de Wii. Es un lujo poder tener un juego de esta calidad en la pequeña consola portatil de Nintendo.
    Si te gustan los retos, éste es tu juego, la dificultad es muy buena y las mejoras que le dieron al port mejora mucho la experiencia.
  43. May 19, 2018
    Como fan de de los DK este es hermoso la música es super nostálgica y los niveles geniales.
    Un pero el no haberlo jugado en wii porque la pantalla del new 2ds xl casi me deja ciego con el pequeño DK
  44. Jan 29, 2018
    -Three of the 8 worlds I really enjoyed. Cliff and Factory were my favorites.
    -Some fantastic music in the Cliffs levels
    -Happy to not see motion controls in this version. -Boss design lacking flair -Some interesting set pieces and having the world fall apart around you never gets old -Satisfying to overcoming a hard challenge, but many of the levels felt like throwaways which soured
    -Three of the 8 worlds I really enjoyed. Cliff and Factory were my favorites.
    -Some fantastic music in the Cliffs levels
    -Happy to not see motion controls in this version.
    -Boss design lacking flair
    -Satisfying to overcoming a hard challenge, but many of the levels felt like throwaways which soured the experience for me.
    -Still hate mine-cart levels and they've only gotten worse.
    -And they added rocket flying levels...just as bad
    -A lackluster final boss, basically a tiki Andross
    -Missing the charm from what made the original and DK2 classics
    -DKs new goofy noises, not a fan

6.5/10
  45. Nov 7, 2017
    One of my favourite 2d platformers of all time. Can be a little tough on the begining, but you need to get used to it. It's a waste that's only 30 fps on 3ds.
  46. Jan 4, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not as good as the Wii version but it is still a solid game. All the new power ups that are added make some of the hard levels more easier, depending who you are, it is a good/bad thing. Also I like that before the final level, there are 8 levels that need to be completed before playing the last level. I want this game to be re-released on the switch with all the features/new levels from the 3ds game and playing the game with the TV. My only complaint is that the better game is on the 3ds and its hard to play in my room knowing that I have the wii game. Expand
  47. Apr 2, 2018
    Jogo divertido com fases criativas, varios coletaveis assim dando uma durabilidade maior ao jogo, um otimo port! Um dos melhores jogos do 3DS!f
  48. Mar 26, 2019
    Donkey Kong Country Returns was a chore to play on 3DS. The game looks great, but it was constant deaths, when there weren't that many on the Wii version. It wasn't enjoyable, but looking at all the 10s, maybe it was just me.
  49. Jan 12, 2020
    I believe this is one of the best 2D platformers out there.It is challenging,geat levels,great enviroment,great soundtrack and great gameplay,It is definetely recommended.
  50. Jun 22, 2019
    Great game, even more so then it's Wii counterpart, especially because it controls far more naturally without having to wank the Wiimote when you want to perform the game's secondary action. The game's plot revolves around shocking developments surrounding a kidnapped banana hoard, this time being stolen by a tribe of tiki instrument hybrids with the power to hypnotize others with theirGreat game, even more so then it's Wii counterpart, especially because it controls far more naturally without having to wank the Wiimote when you want to perform the game's secondary action. The game's plot revolves around shocking developments surrounding a kidnapped banana hoard, this time being stolen by a tribe of tiki instrument hybrids with the power to hypnotize others with their music much like David Wise (who sadly doesn't provide any compositions). The player will need to traverse the exotic landscapes of DK island, though these landscapes are almost all re-imaginings and the new ones aren't really my favorite (why is there a beach world but no swimming, with all the sand it may as well be a desert world). In each world are entertaining levels, with secret like puzzle pieces and kong letters as well as tight platforming challenges and plain gorgeous visuals. You may have to play some samey bonus rooms to get said puzzle pieces but they aren't ultimately required for full completion, I personally would recommend going for all the collectibles because of just how well designed everything is. The game is also difficult but fair and power ups for insufficient players are available from Cranky, skilled player who collect all the kong letters in a world can instead get to play one of the game's even harder temple levels, but these levels are just as fair and concentration is all that is needed to complete them. A certain level type people dislike, rocket barrel stages, are some of my favorite moments in this game, the spectacle is through the roof for these ones and the game naturally introduces the somewhat bizarre controls in a wide open level, even the dreaded bat of the cave world isn't as big a problem as its made out to be. Bosses are just alright and aren't all that fun, though there are these funny moments that let you pummel the tikis in a uncharacteristically violent way for a Nintendo game. Controls are good and platforming has a certain weight that actually feels good and makes DK seem like a big gorilla, one who no matter how much he weighs, can disobey the laws of physics by rolling off edges and jumping. As a port the game is near perfect and then some, though the visuals don't seem as bright or vivid and there's a part of the level Crumble Canyon that causes noticeable slow-down. This game is just really good and if you happen to own a 3DS you should definitely check it out, especially with it's convenient portability and controls as well as the excellent bonus world. Expand
  51. Jan 6, 2020
    One of the best platform I've ever played. I prefer the 3DS version over the original because the controls are better and there are more levels
  52. Sep 6, 2019
    onkey Kong Country Returns 3D may be a port less than three years after its original, but it has a new burst of life on Nintendo's handheld. The 3D effect has arguably never been better used in a platformer on the system — ironic as it wasn't originally designed for the hardware — and it's a technically sound iteration of one of the Wii's very best games. This is platforming at its finest,onkey Kong Country Returns 3D may be a port less than three years after its original, but it has a new burst of life on Nintendo's handheld. The 3D effect has arguably never been better used in a platformer on the system — ironic as it wasn't originally designed for the hardware — and it's a technically sound iteration of one of the Wii's very best games. This is platforming at its finest, imaginative, exciting and playful, while also laying on a serious challenge for veterans and skillful players. The New Mode helps less experienced gamers along, though they'll need to learn and improve quickly, and if you're diligent there are eight terrific new stages to discover.

It's not as silky smooth as its Wii predecessor, which strips it of perfection, but it does dispense of waggle. If you haven't played this on Wii and want it on the go, this is a must-buy. If you're wondering whether to double-dip, you can be confident that this isn't a half-baked sloppy port, but does the original justice. It's most certainly on like... well, we're not allowed to say that, but you know what we mean.
  53. Sep 18, 2019
    A fun game for anyone who is a fan of the platforming genre. A must-play for any Donkey Kong fan.
  54. Jun 10, 2022
    Enormous level-by-level fun for the 3DS, this near-perfect platformer emphasizes everything great about the original DK Countries on the SNES!
  55. Aug 30, 2020
    Simplemente una maravilla de juego. No había tenido la oportunidad de jugarlo hasta estos últimos días y puedo asegurarles que es un juego de una altísima calidad en todos los sentidos.
  56. Jul 1, 2020
    I LOVE It. All the levels and the coleccionables. Polotespilotespulotespilotespuloeddyehrhfbfbrhrhfhjfjrrjbgjkrejejfnfbfbfjr AMAZING
  57. Jun 29, 2020
    The music, the gameplay, the graphics on 3DS... Everything about this game is great!
  58. Aug 14, 2021
    Un plataformeo perfecto, de gameplay rápido, geniales mecánicas y controles. Buena calidad (dentro de las posibilidades de la 3ds). Corrige el error de los sensores por movimiento de la versión de Wii. Es decir, los quita, lo cual lo hace una versión superior a la de la wii. Posee una buena duración. En mi opinión, este juego es superior a cualquier plataformas en 2d de Mario, sin contarUn plataformeo perfecto, de gameplay rápido, geniales mecánicas y controles. Buena calidad (dentro de las posibilidades de la 3ds). Corrige el error de los sensores por movimiento de la versión de Wii. Es decir, los quita, lo cual lo hace una versión superior a la de la wii. Posee una buena duración. En mi opinión, este juego es superior a cualquier plataformas en 2d de Mario, sin contar los Mario Maker. Expand
  59. Jul 17, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would give it a 7.0, since its a fairly good game. But playing it right after the 3 classics on SNES, I came to appreciate the truthfulness but also dislike certain aspects of it. Its close, but not close enough, something is off. And also, the game seems difficult for the sake of being difficult, so thats less of an engaging fun challenge like the originals but sometimes just a chore. Very small character sprites and often zoomed out situations made me put my New 3DS XL very close to my face just to be able to react (I dont need glasses, its just that small). This sometimes puts you in cheap situations. I was also flooded with extra lifes, so no issues there but still the games difficulty felt bad, because it was just unfair at times. And one of the worst things are the cart and barrel levels, that went way overboard in their quantity. I also missed the ability to switch between characters. Bosses were dragged out a tiny bit too much for my taste too. But I had my fun with the game, it has some nice leveldesign here and there, good music and just a fun gameplay overall. Its just frustrating to not know at first that puzzle pieces dont do much for you but are insanely hard to find. I didnt find once all of one level by just completing the level once, which for me is bad design because it makes you feel unsatisfied and bad. Instead, just pay for a parrot finding them for you (and you have way too much money too). Frustrating but fun sums up the game. Recommandable, especially because of its mobile accessability with the 3DS but dont expect a masterpiece like the originals. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 62 Critic Reviews

1. Nov 2, 2013
    At a glance a cute and charming little platformer that will eventually become with your insight one of the most challenging and deepest contemporary platform games. A great remake that's annoying only because of its occasional troubles with controls and because of its complicated multiplayer game.
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    Still one of the best platformers of the last years – even though there is not a lot of new stuff to be found in the 3DS-version.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Donkey Kong Country Returns for the 3DS is basically the same game that launched on the Nintendo Wii for nearly three years ago. The smaller format has made some of the levels harder to navigate but it shouldn’t discourage anyone from checking out this portable version of one of the best platform games of all time.