7.2

1. Jun 21, 2016
    As weird as it is to say, Revelation was not as good as Birthright or Conquest. It was fun, but it was easy. Almost too easy. It kind of felt like the developers realized just how stupid hard Conquest was and were trying to apologize with Revelation. Add to that a rather lackluster story that didn't seem to sew any of the pieces from the other two games together and it really felt kindaAs weird as it is to say, Revelation was not as good as Birthright or Conquest. It was fun, but it was easy. Almost too easy. It kind of felt like the developers realized just how stupid hard Conquest was and were trying to apologize with Revelation. Add to that a rather lackluster story that didn't seem to sew any of the pieces from the other two games together and it really felt kinda "meh." It's really too bad considering how much they set themselves up with first. It feels like they really just ran out of steam. Expand
  2. Mar 26, 2019
    This has been a long journey, spanning 3 different games and over 100 hours, but Revelations was by far the best, both in terms of story and gameplay. No deaths that stabbed you in the heart (in the same ways as the previous games at least), earning exp from castle battles, and a massive cast of playable characters were only a few of the things that took their already great game and madeThis has been a long journey, spanning 3 different games and over 100 hours, but Revelations was by far the best, both in terms of story and gameplay. No deaths that stabbed you in the heart (in the same ways as the previous games at least), earning exp from castle battles, and a massive cast of playable characters were only a few of the things that took their already great game and made it even more amazing. This was a journey worth building up for, and the Finale did not fail to deliver. If you've not gotten into Fire Emblem, there is no better time, I promise you. Expand
  3. Mar 28, 2016
    First off, I want to start out by saying I'm a big Fire Emblem fan and that I enjoyed Birthright, Conquest, and awakening and would easily consider playing them again. In fact, the whole localization didn't bother me that much and I feel like they did a pretty decent job. Before you write me off or hate me, I have a very good reason behind the score I gave it. In a nutshell, Fire EmblemFirst off, I want to start out by saying I'm a big Fire Emblem fan and that I enjoyed Birthright, Conquest, and awakening and would easily consider playing them again. In fact, the whole localization didn't bother me that much and I feel like they did a pretty decent job. Before you write me off or hate me, I have a very good reason behind the score I gave it. In a nutshell, Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations is a very boring game.

I'll admit that I stopped playing after chapter 19, but even getting through half the game and it being that much of a struggle is something in and of itself was pretty difficult to do after chapter 14, which is a middle finger for Conquest fans. Anyways, I'll give you my review on why I just couldn't finish this game and why it's almost not worth your 20 dollars.

[Warning this part of the review contains spoiler]

I'll start off with the story. The premise of the story is actually pretty good in chapter 7 since it decides to explain what's going on and kind of gives you a better idea of the main villain aka Anakos. It's weaker storywise than hidden truths, but it had potential. The deaths are just really stupid in this one, like really, really stupid (Conquest did two of the three deaths better) and it's just very poorly written. Before you point your finger to the treehouse, this is Intelligent Systems. It basically is just chapter 7 then filler to get all the characters...then chapter 7's exact story again in case you forgot it. Most of the Royals are 1-dimensional and they're really the only characters you see.

And I'm pretty sure everyone in their right mind can openly admit Izana's **** death can summarize the **** chapter. That reminds me that most of the plot twists are mind-numbingly obvious and that every boss pre chapter 24 is either a boss we fought before or just a generic enemy. I did skim for what happens after I stop and I will say that it looked cool and really good.

[End of Spoiler here]

Let's talk about the maps now. Fire Emblem was never really big on the main story so I often will forgive a bad plot for really cool and fun maps. Conquest and Birthright did have fun and enjoyable maps with the former having maps up to par with the Fire Emblem franchise. Conquest's maps aren't "hard" but they require more strategy to beat which is why I enjoyed that game. If you though anything Birthright threw at you was bad, Revelation somehow figured out a way to be worse than Birthright. Skirmish battles are more enjoyable.

I know one part of this hate for Revelation's maps is because I jumped out of Conquest which had excellent AI...like really, really good AI that I'd be excited to see in future installments. The AI in Revelations in the first half will suicide attack one of your units even if they only do no damage (Conquest enemies were smart and knew when to attack and even used skills to be cheap). Btw, you'll be lucky if an enemy even has a skill at all. The IS staff though it'd be super challenging if they used Promoted enemies instead. Other than a 1% crit, these tougher enemies are a complete joke.

Now you're looking at me and probably going "So what, Birthright did a lot of that stuff too." Well Birthright didn't reuse good maps and make them bad (which is another thing I'm bothered about). Birthright did however allow for a variety of characters to be used without the use of grinding. You could use almost any character and they'd be useful the whole game (bar a few exceptions) which made replayability a lot better. In revelations, 80% of the cast is just bad and shouldn't even be waster on experience for...including Effie and Niles.

Revelation was designed for all the Royals to be used, and Royals are OP which makes the game ridiculously easy. The fact that if your unit isn't promoted by 19 and doesn't have an attack over 32, you may as well pitch them as you can only bring 12 units, 10 of which will be royals. It's just a large barrier to use a character who's only half as good since almost all characters come in severely underleveled.

That's enough bashing on this path I'm not going to bother finishing. People who are into my castle and all that wireless stuff will definitely want to pick this one up due to having the full cast and giving children new skills. There are also some interesting support convos that can only be done in this poorly designed path. There's a few cool things in the campaign, but honestly I'd say save your money for any other FE game like Sacred Stones which has a much better plot.

And if you still think this is a 9 out of 10 game, there's a chapter where you have to slowly break ice blocks to reach the boss who doesn't move. Did I mention enemies drop stat boosting items like dracoshields?
  4. Mar 10, 2016
    For me, this isn't a 10. It's a 9.5

As it stands, of the three iterations, Revelation is the one that most closely resembles Awakening, as it brings together every character, weapon, item and mechanic from both versions. This makes for some great support conversations, more customization, and it helps expand the long term value of the game by a lot. While most reviewers agree that
    For me, this isn't a 10. It's a 9.5

While most reviewers agree that Revelation stands in the middle ground when it comes to difficulty, I have to disagree. I think Revelation might just be the easiest of three, for the most part, not entirely. I'd say for newcomers, hard difficulty might be a pretty viable option. For hardcore players, I'd say lunatic on your first run might pretty doable, more than Birthright, and definitely more than Conquest.

It may not offer a story as epic as Conquest, but it does present us with its unique take on the story, more characterization, new villains, and some pretty impressive twists. My only negative would be that by the end of the game, the maps start becoming a bit repetitive, but that's about it.

The censoring of the game did bother me, but I'm not about to dock off points unfairly for such a great game.

TL;DR If you liked Conquest or Birthright, go buy this one. Now
  5. Mar 30, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Revelation predictably suffered from character overload. The plot moved along WAY too quickly in the first half, and dragged by monotonously in the second. You get all of your characters dumped on you in the first 18 chapters, resulting in several levels in which you get 3 or 4 new characters, all of whom are underleveled compared to your previous units. There were also WAY too many royal units, which I always felt like I needed to use, resulting in me benching some of the characters I rather liked, such as Keaton, Kaden and Kagero. A few of the levels were particularly good (like the Warp Tile one), while some just seemed unnecessary (moving rubble).
    The story in this one felt rushed or half-done compared to the other two stories. Almost right away, the war- the central plot of the other two- gets pushed into the background as you tackle the true threat. Yes, you were still fighting to end the war, but having the whole second half of the game take place in Valla just led me to feel oddly detached. Valla felt empty, like it was just there to add some battles. What's more, the royals of both sides joined you way too quickly. I would have been okay with things if you had only finally gotten Xander and Ryoma in maybe chapter 24 or 5, with just a handful of Valla levels before you face the final boss. Plus, after playing through Conquest and Birthright, I just felt tired, and actually put the game down for a couple of days on chapter 26 because I just couldn't be bothered to continue.
    Revelation was the least enjoyable of the three for me, but that by no means makes it a bad game, just not particularly good.
  6. Jun 8, 2016
    Fire emblem Fates revelations is the last of the three fates games to be realized in north America and is supposed to be a mix-up of the other two versions that ties up all loose ends to the stories. I personally am a huge fan of Conquest, having finished it four times and I have not played birthright since it was specifically described as an entry point to newcomers or fans who got intoFire emblem Fates revelations is the last of the three fates games to be realized in north America and is supposed to be a mix-up of the other two versions that ties up all loose ends to the stories. I personally am a huge fan of Conquest, having finished it four times and I have not played birthright since it was specifically described as an entry point to newcomers or fans who got into the series with the last entry thanks to the previous game, fire emblem awakening, but I have watched LPs of it. I have purchased revelations and am currently on the tail end of my second play through, and to put it bluntly, I find this game to be quite mediocre compared to both other versions and feel it was very rushed.

Revelation is a piece of DLC, which, in our day and age, is overused to the point it feels like the developers are pulling money from your wallet. To justify the existence of DLC, a game should be fully finished, which is somewhat the case for the other fates games, however their story has been intentionally cut and left out many explanations to justify this game's existence. Since this is the DLC game, it is almost guaranteed to be the last path played by the player, so it should therefore bring something fresh to the table. This is not the case at all, as for the first half of the game, the story is a blatant and lazy copy and paste from Birthright. The second half is excruciatingly repetitive to the point where the emotional moments lose all impact. The game also suffers from weak and generic villains who are completely stupid and act very unsubtle. This includes the main antagonist who has the exact same motivations as the villain from this game's predecessor and who's actual interesting backstory is locked between another paywall. The writing is otherwise bad and pays no attention to details, but I won't elaborate to avoid spoilers
    Out of the three versions, Revelations has definitely the worst game play because of a sheer lack of play testing. It is still a tactical RPG like the other two versions but is significantly less enjoyable due to very bad gimmicks that will slow the game to a crawl in the second half and put terrible and tedious gimmicks in the first chapters. There is a severe lack of character balance, which makes about two thirds of the units fairly worthless unless the player ginds for hours on end. Finally, there is a chapter that does not function well at all, chapter 21, where the special gimmick gets screwed up and stops working, which is another example of how rushed and empty the game feels.
    This game has the least exclusive content. It only has one unique character, Fuuga, and has only three new supports for each character. It has less unique chapters because this game has no unique paralogue levels. Other than that, the fact you receive units from both sides breaks the balance and allows for an extremely easy late game. This game was made to take more money from your pockets and because it exists, the other two versions have an intentional bad ending. You are better off spending your 20$ on another E-shop title, because this game brings little to the table and had no heart or soul put into it unlike its two sister games. It plays the worst, has the least content and you buying it will encourage Intelligent systems to pursuit such a despicable practice.
  7. Mar 12, 2016
    The third route, Revelations, fits perfectly with Birthright and Conquest and does it's job of telling the true story of Fates. Wrapping up mysteries not solved in the other two versions. Bringing together the entire cast of characters and seeing certain Hoshido and Nohr characters interacting is one of my favorite parts of the game and it's made better by the infinite opportunities toThe third route, Revelations, fits perfectly with Birthright and Conquest and does it's job of telling the true story of Fates. Wrapping up mysteries not solved in the other two versions. Bringing together the entire cast of characters and seeing certain Hoshido and Nohr characters interacting is one of my favorite parts of the game and it's made better by the infinite opportunities to build supports and train your units. The story is just as compelling as the other two versions and almost does the best job at sucking you in, as I've found myself losing track of time while playing through the story to learn the mysteries each chapter offers. All in all, I'm gonna say Revelations is my favorite route of the three and does a great job of telling the whole story of the games. Expand
  8. Mar 11, 2016
    Compre el Fates SE y puedo decir,
    Fates es como el universo marvel, la historia real es Revelation, mientras que Conquest y Birthright son los universos de "What if" cada uno con sus cosas buenas y malas.
    El juego debió solo ser Revelation y como packs de DLC's Conquest y Birthright para conocer como pudo ser, semejante al "The Future Past" pack en Awakening. Pros - Tienes todas las
    Compre el Fates SE y puedo decir,

Pros
    - Tienes todas las armas y equipos
    - Exponencial cantidad de conversaciones

Contra
    - Censura y retirada de contenido, acá no encontraras lo perdido en los otros dos, mala localización y modificación de conversaciones como todas las relaciones S de Kana y podrás reirte del meme que volvieron la conversación de SaizoxBeruka

De todas maneras la ruta es superior a las otras dos, pero los 3 juntos no forman un juego lastimosamente y solo son $80 de relleno de un juego de $40 que no se entrego. Hubiera sido mejor al finalizar un juego sufrir de un sentido de perdida y tener la opción de regresar en el tiempo para hacerlo esta vez bien en un NG+.

Nintendo ademas tiene problemas serios en la treehouse que esta erosionando su antigua y fiel fanbase con contenido correcto por algunos Social Justice Warriors.
  9. Apr 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation is an attempt to fill in the plot holes that are left by the other two routes, thus completely undermining the idea that the three games are separate and are complete. However, it is immediately undermined by the fact that both families turn on Corrin, the main character, for refusing to fight ignoring everything they've done in the last ten years. The main purpose of this story is to fill in the plot holes left by the other two routes. Chapter 5's attack was done by a strange purple cloaked figure, which you encounter again over the course of Revelations. The writing is definitely the weakest due to inconsistencies. They declare Corrin their enemy in Chapter 6 only to start siding with him by Chapter 10, literally the next time they meet and fight. By Chapter 16, the people of Nohr and Hoshido meet again and are suddenly best friends, even allowing you to marry some of the characters from opposing royal families together. The second half of the story rests entirely on an actual leap of faith. Over the course of a very short period of time, they go from "Death to the traitor" to "We will jump off a cliff with you" attitude. During the story, there are three character deaths that could have been avoided (they literally heal one of them while leaving the other four to die) and bringing back characters just to die again for no real reason. To top it off, there is almost no voice acting in the game other than in the pre-rendered scenes, including the private quarters scenes, unless you count random grunts and sound effects.

Another major problem with Revelations is the excessive use of Dragon Veins and turn based puzzles. While these are interesting at first, they force you to choose members of the royal family in your team because they are the only ones that can use the Dragon Veins. The rest of the characters are kind of there to support them when you are forced to separate your team in two like on most maps. If you earn new units on the map, they count against your team limit and further restricts your ability to choose your own team. To top it off, they often come under leveled. To make things even worse, the Dragon Veins have to be operated every turn, putting multiple characters out of combat just to make sure you don't die from damage over time or endless enemy spawns.

The only thing that saves this game from being abysmal is some of the gameplay features. The combat and pairing features are great. Any maps without arbitrary turn related puzzles and dragon veins are great. Enemies make use of the terrain and special weapons on the map in order to slow your advance. It's just too bad they still didn't give most enemies skills and just gave them higher stats.
  10. Apr 22, 2016
    I am not happy to admit that I thoroughly loathe this game. NOW LISTEN- I adore the FE series my favorite being Blazing Sword (known as just Fire Emblem in USA). Which is why I despise this game. Every Fire Emblem game ads something new and meaningfull to the general gameplay of the series- refinements that have 0 downsides. For example- Sacred Stones started the trope of choosing multipleI am not happy to admit that I thoroughly loathe this game. NOW LISTEN- I adore the FE series my favorite being Blazing Sword (known as just Fire Emblem in USA). Which is why I despise this game. Every Fire Emblem game ads something new and meaningfull to the general gameplay of the series- refinements that have 0 downsides. For example- Sacred Stones started the trope of choosing multiple classes- much appreciated. But what does fates offer- the emphasis on player choice. Sounds cool right?It is. but in execution, this game falls flat on its face. selling hardly different endings for 3/4 the price of the game itself. Big mistake on all fronts. not to mention, the different versions offer nothing but different story, no gameplay improvements anywhere. speaking of gameplay, nothing has changed since awakening, meaning its good, but has gone nowhere, not to mention all models and textures are ripped from the last game, and results in this game being a cash grab with, copy-paste anime characters with no interesting characteristics, thus going against one of Fire Emblems concepts, new ,original, and developing characters (Hector for example). this game gets low ratings from me because im attatched to the traditional FE formula of being original and adding new, game- changing concepts. I dont want to hate this game, but in truth... it... *inhales*... sucks. Expand
  11. Jul 10, 2016
    Fire Emblem is definitely one of my top 5 franchises ever, and I think superior to XCOM as the best turn-based tactical strategy game, and with far better story and character development on top of better tactics. Revelation is a unique take on the story, and not as hard as Conquest, but it is still definitely worthy of your purchase and time. It expands and improves on everything inFire Emblem is definitely one of my top 5 franchises ever, and I think superior to XCOM as the best turn-based tactical strategy game, and with far better story and character development on top of better tactics. Revelation is a unique take on the story, and not as hard as Conquest, but it is still definitely worthy of your purchase and time. It expands and improves on everything in Awakening and keeps all the good stuff, exactly what a sequel in a long-running game series should do. I really hope they make amiibo for the top 5-6 characters from the trilogy. I would buy them all! Expand
  12. Dec 28, 2016
    To be sure, there were some mild disappointments with regards to the closing entry in the Fire Emblem Fates series. First of all, I don't think the overall storyline needed to be told throughout three games- having just spent the last six months of my life playing Fire Emblem games, I ask myself if they were really all that different- Birthright and Revelation are so similar that I feelTo be sure, there were some mild disappointments with regards to the closing entry in the Fire Emblem Fates series. First of all, I don't think the overall storyline needed to be told throughout three games- having just spent the last six months of my life playing Fire Emblem games, I ask myself if they were really all that different- Birthright and Revelation are so similar that I feel like I shouldn't have spent time on both. Second, I didn't like the way that you were able to get the entire roster of both games in this one game. Given that you're almost guaranteed to use all the royal families from both sides in this game, it means that you have very little room for anyone else in your party- so why even bother giving us these characters? I felt bad knowing that characters I liked from the prior games were just going to be entirely ignored during my playthrough. Not to mention, you spend several levels getting the crew from Birthright together before you even start on Conquest- I was hoping you would get some of each. Then, all at once, the entire Conquest crew joins you in a single level. It was dramatically imbalanced and was something of a shock to my roster. I did not like that. Third, the game's difficulty level is very skewed. The first few levels provide something of a challenge, but then I found myself hideously over-leveled by only the 4th or 5th level, and this was playing on Hard. I played a few of the Skirmish maps just to develop the relationships and weapon skills of some of my characters, but not to level up. Still, I found myself breezing through most of the game without a hitch until the very last level, when the only real challenge showed up. Even then, I beat it on my first try. So, the challenge of the game just isn't there.

With that said, I still really like the Fates franchise for the changes that it made to the game- I like the way they revamped the Support/Pair UP system, the way that they removed weapon durability in favor of having more diverse weapon options, the way that you collect and forge weapons and the introduction of ninjas and debuffs. I do not like how the reclass system does not reset your level, meaning that you would have to grind out gold to buy seals to increase your max level if you desired to obtain other special abilities or weapon proficiencies, and I didn't even bother with this feature. I also did not like many of the My Castle features, particularly levelling up Lilith (because it took a lot of unskippable time and didn't serve a purpose outside of the Invasion levels) and inviting others to your home (that also took a lot of unskippable time and offered only a minor bonus). I also didn't like that you accumulated lots of vegetables that you could never really put to good use, outside of buying outfits. That doesn't make any sense.

So, overall, I'm pleased with the franchise, but I wish they could've made the story worth being told across three games- then again, this is Fire Emblem. You're not here for the story- in which case, one game would have sufficed.
  13. Mar 15, 2016
    This game is just amazing! I have been a fan of Fire emblem since Sacred stones and I'm very happy with the approach Nintendo is taking with this one, I can´t stop playing the 3 versions, there's just a lot of content, so it's a great time to be a FE fan.

Many people are down voting the game because of the bad localization but don't let that to stop you from playing this game, let's be honest if you are playing Fire emblem just because you want to poke anime characters with your stylus then you are playing the wrong genre of game. Yes, sadly the localization is bad and the story is mediocre at best, Corrin is a very bland character, maybe the worst lord in FE games BUT everything else is amazing, the gameplay and the level design (even in Birthright) are a lot better than Awakening and that alone makes this an excellent game. The new characters, while not that memorable as they were in Awakening, are still very charming and likeable, the support conversations sometimes are great, sometimes not that good (mainly because of localization). The OST of the game is easily one of the best in all the saga and the voice acting is Ok, sometimes misses. By the way the few cutscenes of the game are gorgeous, the presentation in general is awesome and full of details.

The gameplay is the strongest point of the game, all the new systems that were broken in Awakening were greatly balanced in the game and the level design... I just love the level design, there's so much room for experimenting a lot of strategies, the difficult is just in the exact spot, even in lunatic it feels obviously very hard but fair and there are a lot of memorable levels that you're going to hate/love.

Now speaking of Revelations and all the DLC controversy, it's true this game isn't cheap but if you think that you're going to invest $80 dollars for the three campaigns and it's going to take you 100+ hours just to finish the stories, then it's totally worth it. There are others games that cost $90-100 dollars and takes 10-12 hours to finish them so there's no big deal here.

Don't forget also that FE let's you play the way you want, even in Conquest the "hardest" of the 3 you can play in casual mode if you are intimidated by the hardcore nature of the game or you can play Birthright in hard or lunatic and it's going to be a hardcore experience, so there's no excuse to enjoy Fates. Revelation is the most balanced version and it's very interesting seeing the interactions of all characters, being former enemies.

With all that said, Fire emblem fates is not a perfect game, it has big flaws but those flaws are outshined by what was done right, for me the worst wasn't the localization issues but the story, with a better writing this game could have been the greatest FE so far (still I love the silliness of some support conversations). Seriously, don't miss this game, there was a lot of love and work behind Fates, it's a gem of the genre and one of the best 3DS games so far, it holds a very special place in my collection.
  14. May 12, 2016
    There's not much to say about this game. It combine the characters from both Birthright and Conquest. The story somewhat weird. The battle music not as good as Birthright or Conquest. Just play it when you want more of Fire Emblem Fates or after you beat Birthright, because it's difficulty more like Birthright rather than Conquest.
  15. Apr 27, 2017
    El mejor DLC de toda la historia, un acceso completo a toda una historia y obtener todos los elementos de las otros juegos de la serie de Fates, y una historia que enriquese la experiencia con cualquiera de las otras historias paralelas a esta
  16. Mar 14, 2016
    TWO IMPORTANT THINGS:

Do not be put off by the user score, anti-censorship people are voting this down on purpose without finishing the game! Do not buy this before playing at least one path! Now that we got that outta the way, I'll share my thoughts on this path. Revelations is the path where both Hoshido and Nohr come together; this has the largest amounts of units. Each
    TWO IMPORTANT THINGS:

Do not buy this before playing at least one path!

Now that we got that outta the way, I'll share my thoughts on this path.

Revelations is the path where both Hoshido and Nohr come together; this has the largest amounts of units. Each chapter you'll be gaining like 2-3 units and eventually you will gain all the royal siblings as well. Brand new supports between Nohr and Hoshido units are in this route, making it very funny to watch them interact. All the royal siblings can also support with their opposite royal (e.g Camilla/Hinoka) which is very satisfying if you've played both routes.

This also has a lot of new maps with a lot of them having a gimmick; it's a defining feature of Revelation. Most of them are great but there's a few ones that make you very frustrated. It is quite different from Birthright which has simpler rout maps, so keep that in mind. Conquest players will be more in their element here.

The only negative thing I can say is that it is less bittersweet than the other two; there's a lot less death and the main theme of 'betrayal' is not really present once you get halfway through the game as everyone joins together in this path. Both Hoshido and Nohr have more dramatic/sad moments while Revelations is the golden path. However I'm sure some people would vastly prefer that and it was nice to see after playing two route with sad-ish endings.

Overall it's a 9/10 for me, there is a TON of content and units so you will be playing this for a while. :)
  17. Jun 1, 2016
    This is in my top five games of all time. Revelation is a must own for any 3ds owner. Everything is perfect in this game. The stages are wonderful, the characters are well thought out, and the localization isnt even bad, the deal with localization is people are little brats ( only because i cant curse on here ) and wont accept there are differences between the cultures of the good ol' USThis is in my top five games of all time. Revelation is a must own for any 3ds owner. Everything is perfect in this game. The stages are wonderful, the characters are well thought out, and the localization isnt even bad, the deal with localization is people are little brats ( only because i cant curse on here ) and wont accept there are differences between the cultures of the good ol' US of A and the land of the rising sun (Japan). 10/10 Expand
  18. Jun 17, 2017
    Really weird maps with tedious gimmicks, awful unit balance where most of the cast joins significantly underleveled to the point where grinding is practically necessary to get them up to speed with enemies let alone your stronger units, and a trash story sets Revelation apart in terms of being the weakest Fates game, and probably weakest overall Fire Emblem game. Even the music was prettyReally weird maps with tedious gimmicks, awful unit balance where most of the cast joins significantly underleveled to the point where grinding is practically necessary to get them up to speed with enemies let alone your stronger units, and a trash story sets Revelation apart in terms of being the weakest Fates game, and probably weakest overall Fire Emblem game. Even the music was pretty phoned in with a new area for this version of Fates being full of glorified elevator music. Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2016
    Having almost every character from both routes just felt great. The story holds up well enough, the addictive gameplay kept me hooked for hours upon hours, unlocking the vast amount of supports was entertaining, creative map design, good music. All in all just a great game.
  20. Jul 1, 2016
    + Great difficulty level, its always fair and rewards tactical thinking, and turning off perma death is great for new players
    + watching your units relationships with eachother develop is rewarding and fun
    + watching your units relationships with eachother develop is rewarding and fun
    + Replay value, you can play through any of the campaigns again and have a new experience by favouring different units, trying out different romance paths or upgrading units to different classes
    + Emotional story with believable characters...

- ...Even if the dialogue is stilted at times
  21. Jul 17, 2016
    Revelation is, without a single doubt, the worse path of Fire Emblem Fates. Not only that, but it is a solid contender for worse Fire Emblem game ever. The most important feature of the series, i.e. the gameplay, is terribly lacking. Maps are quite weak in terms of strategy, but they are also a hassle to complete, not because of their difficulty, but because they are lengthy on purpose. IRevelation is, without a single doubt, the worse path of Fire Emblem Fates. Not only that, but it is a solid contender for worse Fire Emblem game ever. The most important feature of the series, i.e. the gameplay, is terribly lacking. Maps are quite weak in terms of strategy, but they are also a hassle to complete, not because of their difficulty, but because they are lengthy on purpose. I stopped at chapter 12 (out of 27). Expand
  22. Sep 21, 2016
    This game was very good in my opinion, the plot was a bit uneven but I could accept it. The characters were very fun to have interact. The gameplay made me feel like a god, so I loved that too.
  23. May 21, 2018
    I bought this game due to good reviews. I feel as if I've been duped because it lacks a soul. The story is so generic and bare, and the horrible voice acting sounds just like it's been copied from Pokemon. I may have enjoyed the game if I was 12, but no.
  24. Sep 26, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Definitely the second best, it follows the most kind mindset, but doesn't feel as satisfying as Conquest. Story is good, and some levels are hard. Annoying that 3 of the siblings appeared late in the game: Xander, Leo, and Ryoma. Rip Anthony and Zola, wanted both but got neither. 8/10, needs more Takanori. Expand
  25. Sep 1, 2017
    An amazing game and a great finale to the fates trilogy, it basically combine the other two games, which means the story is uneven at times, but the game makes up for it, great game
  26. May 22, 2021
    Game: Fire Emblem Fates Revelations
    Genre: Strategy RPG
    Developer: Intelligent Systems Publisher: Nintendo System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS) Year of Release: 2016 Length of Playthrough: 45 Hours Total Score: 94/100 Value Score: 9.4/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 7/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 •
    Game: Fire Emblem Fates Revelations
    Genre: Strategy RPG
    Developer: Intelligent Systems
    Publisher: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 3DS (3DS)
    Year of Release: 2016

• Music: 8/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Great story and character interactions
    +Self contained story with a choice that affects characters being available or not
    +Marriage system in tact from Awakening
    +Art and character design as great as Awakening
    +Customizable town system
    +Sidequests available that are free and also from marriages
    +Complete story compared to Birthright and Conquest
    +Includes all playable characters and My Castle items from the other two routes

Cons
    -Voice acting limited compared to Awakening
    -Full story divided into two other games and as separate DLC
    -No maps to grind for money or exp unless you buy them as DLC

---

Series Scorewise comparison sake

Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS): 94
    Fire Emblem Fates Birthright (3DS): 93
    Fire Emblem Fates Conquest (3DS): 92
    Fire Emblem Fates Revelations (3DS): 94
    Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia (3DS): 90
  27. Feb 13, 2020
    second best in the FATES trilogy It has a satisfying ending So buy it !!
  28. Nov 19, 2020
    Revelation isn't just the worst of the Fates trio, it's the worst Fire Emblem game, period.
    *The story is a nonsensical journey strung together by one "shocking" revelation after another. Worse still, because this is seen as the golden route, Birthright and Conquest are effectively invalidated.
    *Unit balance is a mess, ranging from flagrantly overpowered units like Ryoma or Xander, to lv.10 unpromoted units that can barely survive the maps they're recruited in, giving you little room for experimentation.
    *The gimmicky level design and inconsistent enemy strength makes repeated playthroughs a chore
  29. XV_
    Aug 4, 2018
    I only played Conquest before Revelation and as it turns out I think the later doesn't have the same punishing difficulty but has a decent amount of challenge, that being said, I don't think the story unfolds as interesting as Conquest but I really liked the "what if" aspect of it (MINOR SPOILER AHEAD), it's interesting how 2 characters that were enemies before, here they need to tag alongI only played Conquest before Revelation and as it turns out I think the later doesn't have the same punishing difficulty but has a decent amount of challenge, that being said, I don't think the story unfolds as interesting as Conquest but I really liked the "what if" aspect of it (MINOR SPOILER AHEAD), it's interesting how 2 characters that were enemies before, here they need to tag along or even marry. As far as gameplay goes the thrill is the same as always, in my case I always choose classic mode to feel real tension in battle and to spice things up. In the end is not an outstanding entry of FE series but still gives you a lot of entertainment. Expand
  30. Aug 20, 2021
    Fire Emblem: Fates is, surprisingly, an astonishingly worthy follow-up to its predecessor, Awakening. While it may not appeal to those in the fanbase looking for a hardcore, merciless strategy-RPG, Fates is extremely entertaining.

Fates continues Awakening's move towards accessibility and lowering the bar to entry - Casual mode returns, and most weapons no longer break after multiple uses (save for healing staves and rods). Revelation, in comparison to Birthright and Conquest, brings an end to the story those two games began, setting aside the option to explore two divergent paths in favour of a singular, cliché conclusion that is very much the standard for most of the games in the series (an evil dragon god of some sort being at the heart of all the evil in the game). While Fates' story is less compelling than Awakening's increased depth in certain areas (especially some of the game's mechanics) combined with the aforementioned lower bar to entry makes this a great time, and invites multiple playthroughs.

If you enjoyed Awakening, I can almost guarantee that Fates will scratch the itch for more Fire Emblem. While it may not always do enough to differentiate itself from its legendary predecessor (even shamelessly aping some of its characters), it is a fantastic game in its own right that continues the upward trajectory that Awakening began for the Fire Emblem series.
  31. Sep 18, 2019
    A very fun and enjoyable game, but far from the best Fire Emblem game. I still recommend for any fan of the series.
  32. Sep 6, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fire Emblem Revelation is my least favorite FE game. It’s not without its pros, however. The class system in Fates is excellent, and Revelation has the most customization of the three. The soundtrack is very good and the overall aesthetic of Valla is very pleasing, and about half of the cast is super likable. But then, you look at the bad side of Fates. All three paths have bad stories, ranging from just mediocre to literal garbage. Revelation easily has the worst one. They shoehorn in this curse where if you talk about Valla outside of Valla, you just fade away. It’s only there to give the avatar unnecessary struggles. And, everyone sucks up to the avatar, it’s prevalent in other FEs, but it’s the worst in Fates. They’re all head over heels for them but as soon as they side with the other nation, everyone suddenly hates the avatar. And the whole last 10 chapters of the game take place in Valla, and about half of them could be cut out because they feel like filler or they’re just super bland. However, Revelation has, in my opinion, the worst map design in any FE. Chapters 24 and 25 are prime examples. In 24, you have an NPC guiding you. They give you two sets of instructions, and they’re right the first times, but eventually they tell you to open a certain door. If you open that door, all your units within a certain space have their HP reduced to 1, including the unit that opened the door. So, it’s pretty much a guaranteed reset if you care about keeping everyone alive. In 25, you have your units split into two groups. There are two elevators that transport your units across several rooms. But, the elevators are very finicky, and if you aren’t careful, your already smaller groups could be broken up. Not to mention the enemies. They’re all big problems. They have Swordmasters and Master Ninja, the two dodgiest enemies in the game, and high power Spear Masters and Onmyoji just to also throw you off, not to mention Kinshi Knights and Mechanists, both bow wielding classes to threaten your fliers. Once you break three chains, you gain access to the room with the boss. However, they’re not alone, and the chapters objective is to defeat the boss, so once you can access the room, you can weave your way through the generic enemies and make your way to the boss, killing them in one round of combat. Such a difficult chapter, only for the “boss” to be weak and easy to deal with. So, Revelation has a garbage story, some pretty awful maps, and I didn’t even mention the playable characters. Look, there are plenty of good characters in Revelation. Oboro is one of my favorites in the entire series, and just about everyone is entertaining. But then there’s Peri. If you like Peri, that’s good and all, but I see no merit. In Fates, everyone has one single character trait and that’s it (there are some exceptions). Peri’s is that she loves to kill people... innocent people. It feels like the “I’m not like other girls” but in real life, who loves murder documentaries and staying up too late, but she’s also dumb and infantile. She talks in a baby voice and says stuff like “Say goodbye to your intestines!” A lot of people say she’s the worst FE character, and I can agree. Peri’s the worst offender of one note characters, but there are plenty others, like Arthur having abysmal luck or Orochi being a fortune teller. They aren’t offensively bad, but just kinda predictable. Now, with all the bad out of the way, I wanna focus on the good. Fates has one of the best OSTs in the series, some of my favorites are “Road Taken”, “Warmth is Gone”, and “Thorn in You”. There aren’t any bad tracks, some may be bland, but the majority are great. Heck, Revelation’s endgame chapter is phenomenal, something nobody expected. After nightmares like the elevator chapter, you’d expect to hate the endgame, but it’s arguably the best endgame chapter in any 3DS Emblem. Valla is very pleasing to the eyes, with vibrant colors and a soothing soundtrack to match the aesthetic. While I say that Revelation is the worst FE, that doesn’t make it awful. It has some stinky chapters here and there, but it also has some good ones, like 16 and the aforementioned Endgame. While some characters suck, there are also a lot of good ones that you get attached to. Revelation is the weakest Fates game, but like I said, it’s not without merit. Expand
  33. Dec 29, 2020
    Like the rest of the fates games, I like the mechanics. However, the story in this one is really dumb and a lot of the maps are too gimmicky. The other two dates games are much better unless your priority is shipping all the characters from both sides.
  34. Apr 21, 2022
    I absolutely loved Revelation but was annoyed that it could only be bought on the nintendo eshop. At first i didn't want to buy the third path but i'm glad I did. Refusing to take sides, trying to gather allies to stop an evil threat felt even better here. The low point is that there are too many plotholes here. There were plotholes in Birthright and Conquest but not as much.Fire EmblemI absolutely loved Revelation but was annoyed that it could only be bought on the nintendo eshop. At first i didn't want to buy the third path but i'm glad I did. Refusing to take sides, trying to gather allies to stop an evil threat felt even better here. The low point is that there are too many plotholes here. There were plotholes in Birthright and Conquest but not as much.Fire Emblem Fates was my first game in the series. I enjoyed every path and rated a 10/10 each time because each iteration had a good plot, especially Conquest, had a awesome gameplay each time, each path felt different from the others (with Revelation being even more interesting due to the fact you refuse to take sides) and i never felt bored. All the bashing and hate about this game is a mystery to me.. Maybe i'll find other fire emblem games even better but this one was the first and the one that made me fall in love withe the fire emblem games. Expand
  35. Jan 31, 2022
    Fire emblem fates revelation and just fire emblem fates as a whole even with the problems is a game I still no matter what, always remember fondly. While it's story could certainly go for some improvements in several areas, everything else from it's gameplay and map design across all 3 pathways are varied, well made and has something for all types of fe fans, to it's top notch soundtrackFire emblem fates revelation and just fire emblem fates as a whole even with the problems is a game I still no matter what, always remember fondly. While it's story could certainly go for some improvements in several areas, everything else from it's gameplay and map design across all 3 pathways are varied, well made and has something for all types of fe fans, to it's top notch soundtrack and voice acting. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I understand why so many others dislike it but maybe, if you want, give it or at least one pathway a 2nd shot and maybe with all 3 reviews in mind, you might see it in a different light. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 23, 2016
    Overall, it’s impressive that the model works – a branching story that acts as ‘either/or, then both’ could feel like a cash-in quite easily. The fact that each version of Fates manages to offer something unique is an impressive feat. I hope it doesn’t become an ongoing trend in the series, but as an experiment with the formula it feels just right.
    The best of the Fire Emblem Fates trilogy and one of the best portable strategy games ever made, with a perfect blend of the best elements of the first two chapters.
  3. Jun 8, 2016
    Revelations is another great addition of 3DS, offering engaging gameplay and beautiful visuals, while its biggest asset is its captivating story. As such, it is highly recommended to approach it after you complete Birthright and Conquest, the previous two chapters of this saga.