7.1

1. May 2, 2019
    This game is pretty cute, it's colorful, the bosses are fun, nice soundtrack, and awful amiibo support, you need a Kirby, King Dedede, Meta Knight, and Waddle Dee amiibo for just statues of them and they're pretty useless than the other Kirby amiibo compatible games.
  2. Apr 19, 2019
    For the cheaper price, this was a fantastic game full of color and life, even if it's not too long. I was still able to replay it and have fun. The major downfall is the fact that this is some overhead, basic and easy game rather than the sidescroller we all know Kirby to be.
  3. Sep 18, 2019
    A very fun and engaging Kirby game that will keep you entertained for a few hours.
  4. Aug 30, 2017
    I was disappointed when I got it and tried it out for the first time. But I started to find out this game isn't that bad. The gameplay is flawed but has some fun but other then that the game ranges from awful to okay. A huge disappointment but a bit of fun.
  5. Jul 14, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here's my review of Kirby's Blowout Blast, taken and modified from PNM's Discord chat.

Kirby's Blowout Blast is a 3D platforming game by Nintendo which is based on a subgame in Kirby: Planet Robobot. It remains a bit too faithful to the subgame, but it also takes a lot of inspiration from Dream Land.

Overall, the level desing is pretty boring and uninteresting, mostly featuring sections where you can get blaster bullets, shoot them at enemies for a better score, and extremely simple sections which usually require a single jump to get past. Most of the game is also comprised of non-optional sections involving you having to try to defeat all of the enemies before you can either progress or backtrack, where some enemies go away after a while if you choose not to defeat them, thus ridding you of a bonus for defeating all enemies. The time limits are also pretty short, but they're not bad, though the time required to get the time bonuses can be a bit tough.

The whole "Blaster Bullet" gimmick is rather poorly executed, and the boss fights aren't very interesting aside from Kracko. The enemy AIs are also great for the transition to 3D, but the bosses just aren't that creative. You fight Lololo twice (independantly in Green Greens and then with Lalala in Castle Lololo) and you tend to fight the bosses multiple times. And I'm not even counting the EX levels or the Secret Path. Counting those, you actually fight Lololo 5 times. Kracko and Kracko Jr. share most of the attacks too. The only boss that's really unique is King Dedede and his giant counterparts, as well as Giant Masked Dedede.

There's also no copy abilities. Considering the fact that this game took heavy inspiration from the first Dream Land, this makes sense, but there's so much potential for 3D copy abilities. And I'm not talking about the 2.5D games. I mean copy abilities that work on a 3D plane. Kracko is rather interesting just because of one attack where his eyeball seperates and he creates a storm throughout the whole stadium. Even if they had added items from Dream Land, I would've been a lot happier.

The soundtrack is pretty good despite most of the soundtrack just being Kirby's Dream Land and Adventure remixes.

The controls are also very smooth, and although Kirby can fly, I only ever used it during the Lololo and Lalala fights and the only part where it was really needed was to get a single out-of-reach food item. Kirby IS missing a few moves from later games, like guarding and sliding, but the only use I'd have for guarding are the bosses. Some boss attacks are hard to dodge, but overall, the bosses are easy, though the EX counterparts are more difficult.

Also: there's no plot! Kirby games are known for their introductory sequences too, and the fact that this has no story whatsoever feels like Kirby's adventure in Squeak Squad to get his shortcake back and beat up King Dedede, except forget the shortcake, and make it so that Kirby's just trying to clobbah King Dedede! Yeah, that's just about all the plot you'll get here. You'd expect a secret final boss with something possessing King Dedede. The game page doesn't even have any plot at all, just talking about how fun it is.

Kirby's Blowout Blast has a lot of room for potential, but it definitely needs to be executed better. Lack of plot, barren stages, and annoying mechanics, as well as how repetitive the game is even before you finish it, definitely ruins the experience. Kirby in 3D has so much potential, and although this game isn't great, this game shows that if Nintendo invests into 3D Kirby games, the games could become very successful. The game also has some redeeming qualities like it's good soundtrack, and smooth controls, but there's just not enough to make a good Kirby game.

I'd rate this 4/10.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 20 Critic Reviews

1. NF Magazine
    Aug 24, 2017
    I like it – but it's really still just a proof of concept. [Issue #29, p. 22]
  2. Jul 31, 2017
    Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Jul 28, 2017
    While its lifespan and difficulty level could certainly use some stimulation, Blowout Blast is a fun and welcome action game that will please those who like a high-score challenge.