7.7

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 11, 2019
    This is basically the third polishing of an otherwise gem of a game. If you picked up the last version on 3DS then you have the bulk of the game. The new missions and extra story are the whip cream and cherry on the sundae. Visuals also appear to have gotten a polish. Even though the old visuals on the last game weren’t bad. Definitely worth dusting off the old 3DS to play. HighlyThis is basically the third polishing of an otherwise gem of a game. If you picked up the last version on 3DS then you have the bulk of the game. The new missions and extra story are the whip cream and cherry on the sundae. Visuals also appear to have gotten a polish. Even though the old visuals on the last game weren’t bad. Definitely worth dusting off the old 3DS to play. Highly recommended! Expand
  2. Jan 13, 2019
    Remember playing Mario & Luigi games on my DS. It takes all elements of the original. Graphics feel more polished. For some reason I prefer the original. All in all this is a great port.

3. Jan 15, 2019
    If you're the kind of person who does not like turn-based games, just like me, this game is for you. It's a good introduction to this world, the story, the fun game-play, all the interactions that the game offers, the graphic part that is very beautiful and flashy, the game literally invites you to several hours of fun, totally recommended!
  4. Jan 25, 2019
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is my favourite Mario & Luigi game. This is a remake of that game, so it's hardly any surprise that I've enjoyed playing this. What makes Bowser's Inside Story so good? The gameplay, music, and story are all excellent. You can play as Bowser, and he's one of the main characters (that's more satisfying than I can put to words). There are someMario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is my favourite Mario & Luigi game. This is a remake of that game, so it's hardly any surprise that I've enjoyed playing this. What makes Bowser's Inside Story so good? The gameplay, music, and story are all excellent. You can play as Bowser, and he's one of the main characters (that's more satisfying than I can put to words). There are some improvements in this version, too. For example, there are fewer mandatory tutorials from what I can tell.

It gets a 9 instead of a 10 from me for these reasons:
    1. While the Bowser Jr.'s Journey mode has funny dialogue, the gameplay hasn't really engaged me (I feel the same about Bowser's Minions from the Superstar Saga remake).
    2. From what I can tell, you can't save by pressing the Start button, and saving can only be done by hitting blocks. As a feature present in the Superstar Saga remake, the seeming omission of saving pretty much anywhere feels a bit odd.
    3. No 3D! Why?

There are 4 Mario & Luigi games for 3DS now. If you want to get just one, go with this one.
  5. Mar 14, 2019
    for any fan or beginner of the "Mario & Luigi" games, this game is perfect! The original "Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story" was already a beautifully made game, having the most interesting combat system, funniest story, and overall wins the awesomeness award for being able to play as Bowser for a change!

In case you've forgotten the story, I'll recap you (without spoiling too much):

In case you've forgotten the story, I'll recap you (without spoiling too much): Fawful has made his grand return in this installment and has made Bowser ingest a lovely little mushroom call the Vacuum Shroom, allowing him the inhale everything in sight. With this new power, Bowser inhales, Mario, Luigi and everyone at Peach's Castle, leaving Fawful to merely dispose of Bowser and rule the kingdom for himself!

As I've stated before, the reluctant hero, Bowser, can punch and blow fire, allowing him to solve certain puzzles in the world. In battle, he can inhale smaller enemies down to his gut, where Mario and Luigi can beat the enemy from inside Bowser, leaving the Koopa King to deal with opponents his size. It's a neat concept, and it plays out very well. Even better with improved graphics, enhanced remixes of the songs, and new mechanics added, such as skipping cut-scenes (you'd think they'd do that since the beginning...).

Now, it's time to talk about "Bowser Jr.'s Journey". If you've played "Minion Quest" before with the remake of "Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga", then this'll feel familiar. You watch cut-scenes, gathering minions, setting up your squad and let the AI do the rest. It's nothing to be impressed with, not even the story should be. But, that's only an added feature if that's your interest.

Overall, the original got a 9 on my book, but because of this remake bringing in everything that fans loved of the original game and bringing it back even better than before, how could I not give this game a 10?
  6. Feb 4, 2019
    Because this game is a remake of an already fantastic game, it can't really get a low score. The gameplay is a lot of fun and the writing is fantastic. Bowser Jr.'s Journey is a fun mode to play, but also play the original or else it might get boring. It's just fantastic and if you haven't played the original, you should play it. If you did already play the original, you should still buyBecause this game is a remake of an already fantastic game, it can't really get a low score. The gameplay is a lot of fun and the writing is fantastic. Bowser Jr.'s Journey is a fun mode to play, but also play the original or else it might get boring. It's just fantastic and if you haven't played the original, you should play it. If you did already play the original, you should still buy it because it's a lot of fun replaying the original with all the little new things. Expand
  7. Feb 7, 2019
    One of the best remakes of all time, it has all characteristics from that glorious game of the DS, with the new game mode of Bowser Jr it makes it better than it is as it happens with the Superstar Saga remake
  8. Jan 11, 2019
    I adored the original, and this version easily lives up to it. It retains all the charm, battles, and story from the original. It also has some new content and feels more polished than the original. It's not a ten though, as the Bowser Jr mode is only okay. But still, this game is really enjoyable, and is one of the best 3DS remakes/ports.
  9. Feb 4, 2019
    Honestly, this port was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. For context, the original BIS is one of my favorite games of all time. The game has so much charm, personality, humor, and little details that make it absolutely amazing. Ok, now get rid of all of that and you have this remake. It feels so soulless compared to the original. It removes so much funny dialog, someHonestly, this port was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. For context, the original BIS is one of my favorite games of all time. The game has so much charm, personality, humor, and little details that make it absolutely amazing. Ok, now get rid of all of that and you have this remake. It feels so soulless compared to the original. It removes so much funny dialog, some sound effects are missing, and some voice lines are way less expressive than in the original. The graphics are kind of better, but in some places the original does look better. The gameplay is pretty much the same as before. So, if your ok with playing a game with no soul, you can at least have some fun turn-based battles. However, Bowser's Inside Story isn't the only adventure in this game. Bowser Jr has his own adventure in the form of Bowser Jr's Journey. Bowser Jr's Journey is absolutely amazing. It's everything I would have wanted from a sequel to the Bowser's Minions mode from the Superstar Saga remake. This side-mode has way more charm and personality than the main game. Bowser Jr had me laughing in almost every cutscene due to his interactions with other characters. The gameplay is also a huge improvement over Bowser's Minions. The gameplay involves recruiting different enemies from the Mario series to build your own team to fight in some real time battles. You can see what your enemies team is and change your team formation to fit your needs. Depending on what minions and team formation you use, you can do some special attacks and get some stat buffs like more defense or more health. The story also does a great job tying into the original story in BIS while adding to the story in interesting ways. I won't get into the story in detail here mostly because of spoilers though. It is still somewhat luck based and will require a good amount of grinding from time to time which can make it frustrating at points. Overall, Bowser Jr's Journey is an amazing expansion that's weighed down by a disappointing remake of an otherwise amazing game. Separately, I would give Bowser's Inside Story a 1/10 and give Bowser Jr's Journey a 9/10. Together however is a hard call to make. If Bowser Jr's Journey looks interesting to you or you have no way of getting the original game then I'd say get it, but if you were a big fan of the original game, aren't interested in Bowser Jr's Journey, have easy access to the original game on DS, or if you're looking for the classic Mario and Luigi experience then don't get this game. I should probably score the game higher, but if Nintendo is going undersell the actual good part of this game and overshadow it with worth soulless garbage than I'm going to overshadow the good with the bad.
  10. Feb 11, 2020
    Un remake decente del original, aunque podríamos decir que no reemplaza al original ya que se siente inferior en cuanto a fluidez (original 60 y este 30) y la música "mejorada" que siento que está mejor en la original.
    Lo que sí suma mucho a este título es la gran expansión que viene incluida en el juego llamada "Bowser Jr.'s Journey", con una historia bastante entretenida y una jugabilidad excelente, distinta al juego original. Sólo por este ya vale la pena adquirir el juego.
    Ahora, si tuviésemos que elegir entre el original y este claramente me quedaría con el original, es mejor en casi todo. Los modelos del 3DS son muy similares al original. Además la versión de 3DS ni siquiera viene con el efecto 3D, lo cual hace a uno decantarse definitivamente por la versión de DS.
  11. Nov 10, 2019
    A port of Mario and Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story for the 3DS is already neat, but the new Bowser Jr’s Journey story is just great
  12. Jul 13, 2019
    Ive played the original.
    Ive played the new.
    This game in my opinion has been improoved by quite a bit. I do kind of wish that bowser giant battles would have used the model from dream team but its completely fine. I don't even notice the 30fps that people have been talking about. Im on a new 3ds xl. The game in general looks a lot better imo. The tutorials are finally gone!! And the
    Ive played the original.
    Ive played the new.

And the difficulty has been balanced to a perfect difficulty.
    The new soundtracks sound better than the original ones which were compressed probably.
    Now onto Bowser Jr Journey.
    This game is a big improovement in terms of story mode over Bowsers Minions. The gameplay in battles is pretty much the same but it somehow feels better.
    This was my full review of bowsers inside story + bowser jr journey

13. Aug 30, 2019
    This remake is an ok remake I say that cause there is LITERALLY NO DIFFRENCE (like no better graphics) if u don’t have a ds and you wanna play this game then this is perfect for you
  14. Jun 1, 2020
    My favourite game of all time got a remake on the 3DS and I must say, I expected more. Graphically, is a huge update from the original and is probably one of the best looking 3ds games, but I expected the difficulty to be a little higher. Bowser's Jr. Journey is a nice addition but it gets repetitive and a bit boring after a while. I would've given 8.5, but since I can't, I gave 9 becauseMy favourite game of all time got a remake on the 3DS and I must say, I expected more. Graphically, is a huge update from the original and is probably one of the best looking 3ds games, but I expected the difficulty to be a little higher. Bowser's Jr. Journey is a nice addition but it gets repetitive and a bit boring after a while. I would've given 8.5, but since I can't, I gave 9 because I appreciated the work on the music tracks, with 2 new addition to the game. Expand
  15. Nov 5, 2019
    The best Mario and Luigi game out there. A good entry point for newcomers or diehard fans.
  16. Dec 15, 2019
    I don't hate the game, but paying for a game that came in the late years of the 3ds? I'm sorry, but i recommend playing the original.

But the game was good graphics that's for sure
  17. Jan 6, 2020
    I love the game. It is my favourite Mario and Luigi game. When you buy a Mario game pleas this one.
  18. Jul 20, 2020
    Great game, so obviously a remake will just be good off the bat. The only issue is that you really have no reason to get this game if you have the original, since the new content in the remake is pretty much non existent.
  19. Nov 16, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game didn't meet my expectations.

1) Bros./Brawl attack power nerfed too much
    2) Bros./Brawl attack BP cost increased too much
    3) Boss battles unreasonably difficult and long (especially Durmite and Wiggler

4) Grinding for levels in Bowser Jr.'s Journey ist a must
    5) Bonus badge nerfed too much (No EXP bonus even with Pros. badge - only items
  20. Jan 1, 2021
    Started off weak, but ended strong.

Good - chippy is good addition. It's sassy dialogue adds a lot of humor, especially when it's talking to Bowser. - the map is done better, allowing for dpad to scroll - the flip screen Bowser battles are cool - the puzzles involving switching between Bowser and Mario Luigi are creative. - this game builds on Bowser's character as well
    Started off weak, but ended strong.

Good

- the map is done better, allowing for dpad to scroll

- the flip screen Bowser battles are cool

- the puzzles involving switching between Bowser and Mario Luigi are creative.

- this game builds on Bowser's character as well as his minions. Gives lore to the villains of the Mario universe, which is cool.

- the dialogue and scenarios are funny. Bowser's soft touch guy persona is pretty funny.

- the difficulty does ramp up a bit more later, so even the Bowser parts were a little more challenging.

- the game gets more diverse and interesting later on when I'm able to control Mario and Luigi in the overworld more. And the interior Bowser parts were also visually different which made the overall experience less bland.

Bad

- the Bowser segements are extremely easy since there's no need to control two characters for counter attacks.

- all Mario and luigi's sections are 2D, which gets boring compared to the 3D puzzles in super star saga.

- Bowser's gameplay gets boring. Most of his moveset requires no timing skill.

- Mario and Luigi environments look the same in every area. Just gooshy insides of Bowser. It gets visually repetitive.
  21. Jun 10, 2021
    One of my favorite games from my childhood getting a remake? Sign me up! I wish it were that simple.. Well it kinda was but ignore that, although I still think Partners in Time deserved the remake treatment first & needed it more, this remake of BIS is still great. I’m not sure if I’d put it above the original but the 3D looks genuinely great all the way through. It didn’t piss me off atOne of my favorite games from my childhood getting a remake? Sign me up! I wish it were that simple.. Well it kinda was but ignore that, although I still think Partners in Time deserved the remake treatment first & needed it more, this remake of BIS is still great. I’m not sure if I’d put it above the original but the 3D looks genuinely great all the way through. It didn’t piss me off at every turn like Superstar Saga’s remake did either so that’s only a net positive. I feel like my nostalgia for this game blinded me to some of its shortcomings for years as I remember certain things being better. Maybe that’s just a sacrifice of a 3D remake that it honestly didn’t 100% need, I’m glad it got one, but Partners In Time needed it more. Fawful is still a fantastic villain and I impatiently wait for his return in some form. This game is almost perfection honestly, and is easily the best in the series, and among the greatest RPG’s of all time, Mario series or not! Expand
  22. Jun 13, 2022
    This is the greatest game of 2019. No question. Graphics. Gameplay. Story. All incredible
  23. Jun 19, 2022
    This remake is a great example on how to do a remake right, I just wish it was on switch, instead of 3ds. Then it would be solid dimond.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 38 Critic Reviews

1. Nintendo Force Magazine
    Aug 22, 2019
    The 3DS version of Bowser's Inside Story might not be fully necessary – the original is still 100% playable – but it's the definitive version of the game. [Issue #38 – March/April 2019, p. 68]
  2. Mar 11, 2019
    Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is just as good as it was in 2009. It's still side-splittingly funny, clever, and genuinely a joy to play. Bowser Jr.'s Journey is a major slog, but that doesn't diminish my overall enjoyment one bit. If you're looking for a fun, active RPG that will keep a smile on your face throughout hours of playtime, look no further than Bowser's Inside Story (or honestly, any of the games in the Mario & Luigi series)!
  3. Mar 4, 2019
    Mario & Luigi Bowser’s Inside Story is not a new name but this 3DS remaster is still a welcome effort thanks to its top-notch RPG mechanics with lovely visuals and sound, as well as its trademark humour and fun. While the new Bowser Jr. element doe not operate a revolution, the game's overall experience is nothing short of fun and it fits very nicely in the series' legacy.