8.1

1. Aug 11, 2013
    Just plain fun game. It reminds that the games don't have to be all serious and stuff. Don't expect it to be as good as Paper Mario 2. It's not. But it is still a great game. It tries to do something new with the dream world but in my opinion the dream world parts are pretty repetitive. Sometimes those parts even bore me. You can't even play as Luigi in dream world battles which wasJust plain fun game. It reminds that the games don't have to be all serious and stuff. Don't expect it to be as good as Paper Mario 2. It's not. But it is still a great game. It tries to do something new with the dream world but in my opinion the dream world parts are pretty repetitive. Sometimes those parts even bore me. You can't even play as Luigi in dream world battles which was disappointing. In the beginning game is very linear and booooring. After an hour or so it gets good. Few boss battles in this game are epic but I won't spoil them for you. One of the main reasons that kept me play this game was the great humor. Really this game is really funny. Music was epic, well at least some of it, some of the music was old rehash like Pajamaja Mountain background music sounds like Mario RPG Forest Maze. I have mixed opinions of graphics. Sometimes it looks ok but most of the time pretty lame. All in all I recommend this game and it's well worth the money. Go pick this up now.

+ Epic music
    + Great humor
    + Challenging boss battles
    + It will entertain you long time

-Pretty lame graphics
    -It starts off very sloooow
    -Repetitive and sometimes also lazy dream worlds

8.5/10
    +Alot of Luigi's!

-Slow Start
    -Uninteresting Story
    -Bad Graphics

Conclusion :
    It's a really fun game it isn't as good as Bowser's Inside Story.. but it's still a great game to the series
    if you're looking for a fun RPG game for the 3DS then i recommend that you buy this game!

Score 8.7
  3. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mario and Luigi have seen many adventures over the years, especially in recent times. They've embarked on missions together, alone, and with friends at different times. We've seen Luigi get some of his own love in the limelight with Dark Moon and Super Luigi Bros, and we've also seen Mario get his usual time to shine with Sticker Star and other differing titles. That having all been said, it should comes as no surprise that Dream Team- a combination of what Mario does best and letting Luigi do the rest (hehe, literally in this case), continues the silver standard set for the last few decades. This is a handheld Mario/Luigi adventure that you have no excuse to miss, and its a pretty good all around, family friendly role playing game as well. The witty dialogue, the snappy combat, and the variety of environments and enemies make for a truly imaginative and interesting experience.

First things first, a few things have been changed up this time around, from the normal Mario and Luigi script and story. Chief among all others, a new enemy, the Dream Lord Antasma appears as the major malfunction, and Bowser actually only has a pretty minute role, instead of being the big bad guy as he usually is. Secondly, the story is well written and comedic on cue, centering mainly on freeing talking pillows from the aforementioned evildoer and utilizing Luigi's epic sleeping abilities to change the world on command. Yes, I am being completely serious. You have gameplay that requires sleeping and dreaming, hence the name Dream Team. The majority of the hubworld/overworld looks the exact same as it usually does, in typical map-like fashion, however it is when you start dreaming that things get...weird. The action shifts into two dimensions in classic Mario fashion, platforming is much more intense and challenging than in previous titles, which is surely in homage to the good old days.

During your dreams as Luigi, you will control Mario for the most part, but be able to prompt the sleeping Luigi to change the world by poking and prodding him on the 3DS' bottom most screen. This is an intriguing gameplay gimmick, and also extremely handy to utilize at all the right times. Aside from the already intense platforming, these subtle and not-so-subtle tweaks to the gameplay stimuli change everything from the environment to the gravity to your speed, and make the gameplay all that much interesting. As well as solving puzzles more easily. There always seem to be new ways to get objects and enemies to react, and new discoveries to be made concerning how you can effect the dreamworld around you. Keep in mind, this isn't so much a platforming role playing game as it is simply a role playing one. It isn't like Super Mario Bros. where you only platform, but is instead closer to Bowser's Inside Story and Sticker Star with the role playing portions.

The turn-based combat/timing system is still put to great use, with minimal difficulties and minimal issues. Battles are energetic and a blast to play through, as you will always be on the move, jumping, dodging, attacking, and counterattacking as you go. For a Mario game, it'll get your adrenaline going just as much as it would when you're facing a boss, and that is surely not a bad thing at all in terms of replayability or enjoyability. Combat also adds some challenges by literally giving you challenge tasks to complete for rewards and more powerful upgrades or attacks. This is not only a further good incentive to play and enjoy the game, but it helps you to level up faster, become even more powerful, and to enjoy the experience to its fullest. There are several other minor systems that tie into gameplay such as badges and upgrades, which you can switch between Mario and Luigi for permanent bonuses or instant one-use ones throughout the game. Modifying these is quick and easy, as well as fun and strategic.

There are plenty of side quest-like activities for good measure, and will keep you going well into the wee hours alone, not even taking into account the plethora of main content the game presents. For a handheld, this is an unprecedented amount of gameplay to contain, and even for a console game it offers a lot of activities and content for players to peruse and enjoy. I've put easily twenty hours into the game and have come nowhere near the ending of it, which I hope nobody will spoil for me (looks at GI's 'Spoiled!' crew), and I plan on playing it for at least another twenty hours, assuming time permits. For the content present, the game is definitely worth its weight in mushrooms, and I'd recommend it to you whether you are a role playing fan or simply a Mario or Luigi one. The gameplay never gets old, there aren't many rough spots to speak of, and any inconveniences in gameplay are easily forgotten once you've sunk your teeth into the witty story and action-packed stages.

Concept: Create yet another successful Mario/Luigi title, as well as another successful RPG in the vein on Bowser's Inside Story and Sticker Star.

Graphics: Some more beautiful backdrops to add to the already impressive collection of Mario and Co. level backgrounds across the many years the series has seen.

Sound: The accompaniments are well crafted and come across as melodic and subtle instead of over the top and intrusive. They fade into the background in a good way every time, and quickly you will find yourself humming them after playing for a few hours, if you aren't careful.

Playability: Many of the battles are challenging and difficult, especially for a Mario game, however, with the well refined combat system, you have all the means of dispatching your enemies at your disposal at all times.

Entertainment: It's a lengthy journey worthy of a console role playing spot, but it never gets old no matter how tough the going gets, and it is quite an enjoyable time sink.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.75
  4. Aug 12, 2013
    The use that gives the Nintendo 3DS is striking because you have to use at times the touch screen, using the most basic buttons, the movement of the console and on occasion to use it vertically in special battles with the heads of the game's story certainly gave great use to the Nintendo 3DS.
  5. Oct 15, 2013
    This is one the greatest Mario games I've played. The tutorial sections are a bit too long and some of the dialogue is stretched out a bit, but other than that it is fantastic.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    I've been a huge fan of the Mario & Luigi RPGs for years, and this installment in the series is far from a disappointment. It has all of the wonderful characters and brilliant writing of its predecessors, and the score is easily the best in the series. Seriously, the music in this game is FANTASTIC. Every time you enter a new area you have to just stop for a few minutes to listen to theI've been a huge fan of the Mario & Luigi RPGs for years, and this installment in the series is far from a disappointment. It has all of the wonderful characters and brilliant writing of its predecessors, and the score is easily the best in the series. Seriously, the music in this game is FANTASTIC. Every time you enter a new area you have to just stop for a few minutes to listen to the music. The soundtrack of this game may be one of the best in the entire Mario series, even including the Mario Galaxy scores. The graphics are also just beautiful, especially in the giant battles which feature fully 3D character models, and the 3D in this game is some of the least bothersome on the system so far. I've played it for hours in the 3D mode without getting headaches like I do with other games. And yes, you will be playing this game for hours. What else do you expect from an RPG? This game doesn't lend itself to being played in 10-minute interval like other 3DS titles, but I never had much of a problem with that.
    With the many positives aside, this game is not quite perfect. For one thing, there are simply too many tutorials. The game is still spoon-feeding you things 20 hours into the game! Now, I understand that game tutorials are necessary for RPGs, but lot of the things it gives you tutorials for either appeared in its predecessor, Bowser's Inside Story, or are just common-sense things that anyone above the age of six could figure out. There are times when you just want to tell the game to shut up and let you figure it out on the go. Also, the plot in this game just isn't quite as good as some of the other games in the series. It's not terrible, but it's not wonderful either. Then again, it's possible that I just feel that way due to a complete lack of Fawful in this game, as he is one of my favorite fictional characters ever to exist.
    As for the gameplay, it is for the most part just as fun as in the others. However, there are a few times when it starts to feel a little repetitive due to the fact that you spend a lot of the game jumping in out of dreams over and over, although it only feels like this every once and a while. Most of the game is creative enough to prevent things from getting stale too often.
    Despite some flaws, this game really is great, and although it may not be quite as good as some of the other entries in the series, it's still for the most part an incredibly enjoyable experience. The music and graphics are both beautiful, and the dialogue is downright hilarious and is certain to have you laughing out loud. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is a must-have for any 3DS owner.
  7. Feb 16, 2014
    Another great entry in the series. Not my favourite as the game has a horrible habit of stopping every few minutes to talk the obvious to you. The writing in the series has always been one of its strong points but you can have too much of a good thing. Gameplay is great and smart
  8. Nov 13, 2013
    As someone new to the series, I found Mario & Luigi: Dream Team to be charming and fun though there are times when the game will feel the need to hold your hand.
  9. Nov 25, 2013
    This is a great game from gameplay to design and just overall creativity. My only beef is that the story line doesn't seem to hook me that much, but the humour and gameplay mechanics behind it, really do make this a great buy.
  10. Dec 24, 2013
    Almost perfect.

Dream Team is one of the many reasons to hop aboard and buy a 3DS. The game takes what could be some what stale game play Turn Base and revamps it with unique spells and abilities. The game is easy to pick up and offers a lot to players from character customization, to progression. Items, and gear is fun and addicting. The word "Team" hold true in this game
    Almost perfect.

Dream Team is one of the many reasons to hop aboard and buy a 3DS.

The game is easy to pick up and offers a lot to players from character customization, to progression. Items, and gear is fun and addicting. The word "Team" hold true in this game with fun mini-game like abilities that use both Mario and Lugi to their full potential.

Get ready to roll over enemies as a giant Lugi ball, or using red green shells as volley that racks up combo multiplier as you time the hit.

Bros. Attacks are used in the "Real World" and Luiginary Attacks (Dream World) it's what really makes the game play shine.

In the Dream World, Lugi is pretty much your conductor. Expect to use him to unlock secert areas, and to climb high places.

Pro Great use of 3D. Fun clever boss fights. Mario and Lugi being used to their full potential. Fun, easy, addicting game play and the use of Bro Attacks Luginary are some of the best features to date.

Cons Feel's a bit linear. A lot childish characters. There's a story but I feel disinterested.
  11. Nov 13, 2013
    Oh man. AWESOMENESS ALERT!!! This is THE BEST Mario game EVER! Even the freaking DEMO is good. This game is pure nonstop bliss, and if you have a 3DS, I suggest you run to the nearest GameStop and beg them for this game.
  12. Feb 21, 2014
    This game deserves a lot more praise. I think it is just about as good as Bowsers Inside Story. The gameplay in it is incredibly fun. It works off of timing. Good timed button presses, like when you are counter attacking or jumping on a foe, could mean the difference in a battle. If you have good reflexes, you could get out of a lot of battles unscathed. The story is what you would expectThis game deserves a lot more praise. I think it is just about as good as Bowsers Inside Story. The gameplay in it is incredibly fun. It works off of timing. Good timed button presses, like when you are counter attacking or jumping on a foe, could mean the difference in a battle. If you have good reflexes, you could get out of a lot of battles unscathed. The story is what you would expect out of a game like this. It is moderately interesting, but not nearly as good as something like TES Oblivion or Final Fantasy. That's okay though, since that isn't what this game is trying to be. It's supposed to be a hilarious and fun romp, which is just what it accomplishes. The music in this game is very good as well. The only thing I don't like is all the tutorials. I'm 30 hours in the game and tutorials are still introducing new mechanics. Gamers and even kids are not this stupid. Those small flaws aside, this game is amazing and deserves more praise. Expand
  13. Jan 12, 2016
    I believe all of the Mario & Luigi games are incredibly great on every level, but if I had to choose which is the best, it would have to be the fourth entry in the series, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. It may have seemed like the games had done all the creative things they could, but Dream Team absolutely disproves that by a long shot!

The story begins with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach,

The story begins with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Toadsworth, some Toads, and people from other kingdoms going on a vacation to Pi'illo Island. Their trip is going smoothly, and soon enough they find out that Luigi can sleep on ancient Pi'illos and open portals to the Dream World. Later, they find out that an evil bat king named Antasma imprisoned all the Pi'illos in "nightmare chunks" in the dream world, so Mario and Luigi rescue Prince Dreambert and go on a quest to defeat Antasma and save the Pi'illos. Oh yeah, and Bowser teams up with Antasma as well. The story has more charm and humor than ever, and it does pull out some unexpected moments. New characters like Dreambert and Antasma are great, and it was nice to see memorable characters from past games return. They even brought back Popple from Superstar Saga, which was a cool surprise.

The actual gameplay involves free-roam platforming in the overworld and sidescrolling platforming in the Dream World. The overworld has a ton of secrets and extras to find, whereas the Dream World allows you to mess with Luigi's face in the real world(via touchscreen) to make things happen in the dream world. But the true might shines in the game's excellent battle system. The real-world battles consist of Mario and Luigi jumping and hammering their foes, as well as using creative special attacks. Not only does this game have powerful Bro attacks, but they're the most fun to use yet in the series. But the dream world has the best of the battles. Essentially, only Mario attacks, but he has the power of Dreamy Luigi and a ton of "Luiginoids"(basically copies of Luigi) to spice up his jump and hammer attacks. There are also Luiginary Attacks to replace the bro attacks-and they're even more fun to use. I won't spoil all of them, but the very first one involves Mario rolling on a massive ball of Luiginoids, then kicking it to crush enemies. The game's boss battles are particularly awesome. Antasma was the one I personally enjoyed most.

When it comes to the game's sound and graphics, it easily has some of the best out of any Mario game out there in both categories. The graphics look great in 3D, but still as charming and cartoony as always. As for the soundtrack...scratch "some of" the best, THE best Mario soundtrack. Forget the Galaxy games, look up Adventure's End and just try to tell me it isn't amazing.

Overall, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is one of the best games I've ever played. From the great battle systems, to the TONS of fun Dream World, to the hilarious story, to the AMAZING soundtrack, chances are that this game will not disappoint you. Mario fan or not, 3DS owners need this one. And that's why I give it a 10/10!!!
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    Ever since Superstar Saga, Nintendo & AlphaDream have made nothing but great games in the Mario series. Been playing it non-stop. If you liked at least 1 of the games in the series, it a no brainer you should play this.
  15. Aug 12, 2013
    While this game has a very short start and many annoying hand holding tutorials. The hilarity, charm, combat system, and creative game play elements more than make up for that. Though this game does not venture in creativity in most places. The dream world is the most fun thing in a game I've experienced so far on the 3DS. Overall besides some small obvious flaws this game shines likeWhile this game has a very short start and many annoying hand holding tutorials. The hilarity, charm, combat system, and creative game play elements more than make up for that. Though this game does not venture in creativity in most places. The dream world is the most fun thing in a game I've experienced so far on the 3DS. Overall besides some small obvious flaws this game shines like every other game in its series. It is also a better series than paper Mario :P Expand
  16. Aug 14, 2013
    I still haven't finished it, but nonetheless it's been a great game so far, the music, the graphics, the gameplay, everything is just spot on. It's also nice to see Luigi get a more major role in this game than in previous RPG games. Excellent job Nintendo!
  17. Dec 11, 2013
    This was my first Mario & Luigi game, and I have to admit that I'm very impressed. There only two downsides to this game: first, the characters talk far too much. Any time anything happened, no matter how trivial, you could be sure that you'd spend at least the next 15 seconds clicking through dialogue. All conversations in the game seemed to be about 50% longer than they needed to be, andThis was my first Mario & Luigi game, and I have to admit that I'm very impressed. There only two downsides to this game: first, the characters talk far too much. Any time anything happened, no matter how trivial, you could be sure that you'd spend at least the next 15 seconds clicking through dialogue. All conversations in the game seemed to be about 50% longer than they needed to be, and unfortunately there is no way to skip quickly through them. The only other downside to the game is that combat can get fairly repetitive by the time you get to the end of the game (e.g. you'll have performed hundreds of the same attacks over and over again).
    With that said, this game presents great characters, great writing, simple puzzles (I enjoyed this because it kept the level of frustration very low), and great RPG elements. You get to customize your Mario Brothers by having them focus on the stats you want them to focus on, as well as providing them with the gear that you think best suits them. You can go offensive, defensive, or whatever suits your fancy in this regard. The fighting relies mostly on timing and (in some cases) using the built-in gyroscope. The various Bros Attacks and Luigi Dream Attacks are a great way to mix up the gameplay, and they provide rewarding challenges.
    Finally, I hope this isn't too much of a spoiler, but there comes a time when you engage in a 3rd type of combat- when all the Dream Luigis combine to form a Giant Luigi. Let me just say: the moment when it first occurs is one of the most epic moments I've seen in gaming. I become physically excited and shook with glee when Luigi stepped up to save his brother. I would highly recommend this game and I have considered purchasing other games in the series.
  18. Feb 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Paper Mario Sticker Star, I was really afraid Nintendo had lost their edge with even the Mario RPGs. But then, a light at the end of the tunnel. Somewhere in February 2013, they announced this game and I was immediately convinced that they were still good at it.

So this game turned out to be just as great as I had anticipated in the 5 months of waiting for it to come out. The graphics are great, the gameplay is fun and holy damn, the soundtrack is absolutely gorgeous. But there are 2 big problems with this game and they're also the reason I'm not giving this game a 10:

1. The hand-holding. The absolutely tedious hand-holding. Yes, the first 4 hours of this game consist of the game making sure that you've gotten all the basic mechanics down. And by basic I really mean BASIC.

They give you tutorials on how to jump for god's sake. Twice. And it's really strange too because there are some tutorials of more complicated things that you CAN skip, but they apparently thought things like opening a certain part of the pause menu was too hard to figure out on your own?

2. The gyroscope controls, aka when you have to tilt and rotate your 3DS to do stuff. When you have to do the Luiginary Ball attack, which has you roll on a ball made of Luigis and has you roll over more Luigis to increase it's volume, you have to use the gyroscope controls to control the ball. Here it actually works, and it's pretty funny too.

But at certain points in the game, Luigi becomes a giant in the Dream World to fight giant bosses. These battles look absolutely gorgeous graphic-wise, and I guess the stylus controls work fine, but that's where the fun ends.

In the fourth giant battle, you have to use the gyroscope controls to move Luigi around and have him avoid deadly attacks. These gyroscope controls are REALLY hard to pull off because sometimes they don't even work.

In the fifth giant battle, you clash against the boss by spinning around with your hammer. You engage in some sort of mini-game where you have to push him off the edge of the platform you're on, using gyroscope controls. It's just clunky and a lot of times I accidentally moved Luigi off the edge, dealing massive damage to myself.

At the end of every giant battle, Mario rides a star to "finish off" the bosses once and for all, and you have to hit their weak spot by moving him around with gyroscope controls. It doesn't matter if you don't hit their weak spot - they will still die.

But in the fifth giant battle, this does become more important, because it's to finish them off for real. You have to maneuver Mario around a bunch of fireballs by using gyroscope controls and I'm really not sure if I was the only one who failed this a lot of times and actually had to resort to enabling Easy Mode, but it's just really difficult in a dumb way.

So yes, this game is fun, but like I said, it has some flaws that they really should have fixed.
  19. Oct 20, 2013
    Dream Team is one of the most damn-near perfect games I've ever played. It's got really fun gameplay that never seems to grow old, great amounts of personality, amazing music, colorful graphics, great characters, amazing amounts of personality and so much more. God, it's just amazing. From the first second I booted it up I was smiling from ear to ear. This game will make you laugh, and itDream Team is one of the most damn-near perfect games I've ever played. It's got really fun gameplay that never seems to grow old, great amounts of personality, amazing music, colorful graphics, great characters, amazing amounts of personality and so much more. God, it's just amazing. From the first second I booted it up I was smiling from ear to ear. This game will make you laugh, and it will make you laugh hard.

If you enjoy the past 3 games, there are nice reminders of them left around. Even a returning boss character that made me smile as soon as I saw him.

Go buy this game. Leave your house, get $40 out of your pocket and buy this game. It will be the best $40 you ever spent.
  20. Aug 16, 2013
    Finally a 3DS game that wasn't designed to be played on the toilet or on a bus. I realize it's a portable console, but that doesn't mean I can't just relax on my couch and get lost in a great adventure such as this without having MISSION COMPLETE interrupt me every 10 minutes (referring to RE: Revelations & Luigi's Mansion). I've always loved the Mario and Luigi titles because they areFinally a 3DS game that wasn't designed to be played on the toilet or on a bus. I realize it's a portable console, but that doesn't mean I can't just relax on my couch and get lost in a great adventure such as this without having MISSION COMPLETE interrupt me every 10 minutes (referring to RE: Revelations & Luigi's Mansion). I've always loved the Mario and Luigi titles because they are huge and the combat is somehow always more exciting than in the last game. There are definitely too many tutorials though, I realize these games are somewhat marketed at younger people but farout, give me the option to turn the "oh look, you can break this rock with your hammer" tutorials off. That and the slow-starting story aside, the game looks great, plays great and is exactly what you expect from a 'Mario and Luigi' title. 9/10 Expand
  21. Aug 16, 2013
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team provides a new graphics and styles, but a bit loses its Mario & Luigi's essential. This game is still not as excellent as Superstar Saga and not amazing as Bowser's Inside Story, but Dream Team is still a great RPG game yet. (8.0 out of 10.0)
  22. Jan 1, 2014
    The fourth installment in the RPG series has graphics that stray from the usual cartoon look in favor of more polished, glossy, 3D graphics, but the graphics are not the only things that have changed. This game brings something new to the table with the Dream World. To me, it felt like the elements of Inside Story mixed with the classic feel of Superstar Saga and I can't stop playing it.The fourth installment in the RPG series has graphics that stray from the usual cartoon look in favor of more polished, glossy, 3D graphics, but the graphics are not the only things that have changed. This game brings something new to the table with the Dream World. To me, it felt like the elements of Inside Story mixed with the classic feel of Superstar Saga and I can't stop playing it. It is a very fun game that lives up to the standards set by the former games in the series. Expand
  23. Nov 16, 2013
    Yes, I may seem to be in the minority here, but I have my reasons. This game returns to an unbelievable gameplay mechanic that never gets old, the battles. With a great soundtrack and some hilarious comedic moments in the gameplay, somewhat breaking the fourth wall at times, but besides these factors, there is little I like. My biggest complaint is even though the game is 25-27 hoursYes, I may seem to be in the minority here, but I have my reasons. This game returns to an unbelievable gameplay mechanic that never gets old, the battles. With a great soundtrack and some hilarious comedic moments in the gameplay, somewhat breaking the fourth wall at times, but besides these factors, there is little I like. My biggest complaint is even though the game is 25-27 hours which is great due to its quality, it seems like nearly the entire game is a tutorial. Introducing new gameplay mechanics 20 hours in. And at times the dialogue drags on for an UNBELIEVABLE length, like the first 3 hours of the game. And it may seem that this one aspect shouldn't drag my score down so low, but so much dialogue at times I felt was unnecessary, it somewhat drove me mad. 4/10. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    A fun game with good humor. Mario and Luigi: Dream Team has a lot of comedy with good RPG elements. Only problem, the very long tutorials. The game is fun, colorful and vibrant.
  25. Jan 5, 2016
    I had a great deal of fun playing this game, across 45 or so hours. I've played and enjoyed the whole series so far, and this continues with the tried and tested formula.

The graphics are very nice, the colours especially stand out as quite beautiful in times. Characters are re-designed in a 3D style reminiscent of Donkey Kong Country, with lots of different animation. The story is

The story is fun, but predictable standard Mario & Luigi fare.

Music is great, but repetitive. Especially as you jump into battles it sets an exciting tone as you are drawn into the fight.

Bosses are fantastic on the whole, with variations coming back throughout and bringing something new. Giant bosses are really good fun, though the first at least suffers from the one main problem I had with the game:

It keeps telling you how to play! Seriously, tutorials still occur as you reach the 40 hour mark, nearing the end of the game. It will tell you to press R to change your stance, B to act... yeah, thanks, I've been doing that for almost 2 days worth of time... not to mention 3 previous games! The first (maybe first two) giant boss battle is so insistent on telling you how to fight that by the time you take control you are one attack away from beating the thing!

The game also has something that Nintendo introduced a few years ago (possibly in Super Mario Galaxy?) where if you fail you are able to restart, or restart in easy mode. Great for kids or those who don't want to play at standard difficulty (this isn't a tricky game for an adult).

Well worth a purchase though. I'm glad to finally reach the end so I can get started on the next one - Paper Jam Bros!
  26. Oct 4, 2013
    Alpha Dream has done it again with the Mario & Luigi series. The battle system is still a ton of fun, and the series trademark humor is still intact. You won't be disappointed.
  27. Feb 23, 2014
    An excellent addition to the Mario series in the form of a turn-based battle RPG. Lots of fun and a big challenge at the same time, with constantly fresh ideas, abilities enemies all the way out to the end. This game is a BIG one though, with it taking me just over 40 hours to straight run the main story with a couple hours of collecting things, and getting out to the end may take moreAn excellent addition to the Mario series in the form of a turn-based battle RPG. Lots of fun and a big challenge at the same time, with constantly fresh ideas, abilities enemies all the way out to the end. This game is a BIG one though, with it taking me just over 40 hours to straight run the main story with a couple hours of collecting things, and getting out to the end may take more patience than the regular 'pick up and play' Mario audience may be willing to give. Brilliant soundtrack too, highly recommend. Expand
  28. Mar 29, 2014
    I really liked Dream Team. It had almost all the aspects of the first three games of the Mario and Luigi series that made them great. However, I had some issues with this game. First off, the gameplay; now the gameplay was fine there was nothing wrong with it, but for some reason it just didn't feel as fun as the first three games, of course it just felt that way. Also be prepared to runI really liked Dream Team. It had almost all the aspects of the first three games of the Mario and Luigi series that made them great. However, I had some issues with this game. First off, the gameplay; now the gameplay was fine there was nothing wrong with it, but for some reason it just didn't feel as fun as the first three games, of course it just felt that way. Also be prepared to run into a lot of text boxes that will likely make you press the button on your 3ds a lot to just "get on with it." For there is an insane amount of tutorials in this game, that are long and horrible, I swear that is almost the only thing you do in this game just look at a bunch of tutorials, even things that appear in this game that were in the past games that didn't originally have tutorials do in this game! I really wish that Nintendo would stop holding your hand so much in their more recent games. However the music and gameplay was good, it also had good humor; however I miss Fawful from the first three games. I would recommend this game, however it is probably the worst game in the M&L series so far. Expand
  29. May 12, 2014
    It has a slow start, with tutorials and it doesn't seems good as the others Mario & Luigi games. If you are in this thinking like I was in the beginning, you're probably wrong. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team let you play in a big adventure, bigger than the other Mario & Luigi games. It has great musics and innovates on the Dreams and on the new Motion Attacks.
    The new feature, the Dream
    The new feature, the Dream World, it seems sometimes like Bowser's Inside Story, where you could go to Bowser's body, but the fun Luiginary Works make up that. Also, the special attacks sometimes have motion support, very well used in my opinion.
    The battles are challenging, I had a lot of bad times with some enemies and boss battles, but they are really fun, as always.
    The design and art is beautiful, very colorful, but something is different between the sprites and the background and something is wrong when the sprites grow on size.
    The story, not better than Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, is awesome, with lots of comedy.
    I also loved this new characters, the Pi'illos, specially Dreambert. The new antagonist, Antasma, needed something else, I dunno, maybe he just needed to have more talking.
    Other mistake son the game is the huge content of tutorials and the slow start.

+Awesome Soundtrack
    +Good story with humor
    +Boss and regular enemies battles fun and challenging.
    + Luiginary Works makes things more interesting
    +It took me 60 hours to finish it (not 100%), so yeah, it's entertaining

-Not that bad graphics, but could be better
    -Slow start with a lot of tutorials

My review: 8.75
  30. Oct 20, 2015
    Its a Mario and Luigi game, its funny, the bosses are awesome, LUIGI EVERYWHERE!, the music is very good, the plot is decent, the originality is really good for the 4th entry in the series,the battle mechanics are very well adjusted to work with the 3ds and Its surprisingly long! (and not grind heavy). BUT, the tutorials every 5 seconds suck. That is the only glaring problem this game has.Its a Mario and Luigi game, its funny, the bosses are awesome, LUIGI EVERYWHERE!, the music is very good, the plot is decent, the originality is really good for the 4th entry in the series,the battle mechanics are very well adjusted to work with the 3ds and Its surprisingly long! (and not grind heavy). BUT, the tutorials every 5 seconds suck. That is the only glaring problem this game has. Tutorials everywhere....Thats it. Everything else about this game ranges from decent to great, it isnt going to blow you off your feet and amaze you because its an rpg series. If you: Like funny or quirky rpgs, any of the other games in the series or just want to play a good 3ds game, you should buy this game. Expand
  31. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. WOW, the game's 3D works soooooo good, the music is the best in the series, the bosses and boss theme are one of the highlights, the game play is, yes in the beginning VEEERRRRRRYYYY slow but after that it is awesome. the humor is really funny and the new villian: antasma is so far my favorite mario villian and has the BEST battle EVER. and the story is alright. the new game play feature in this game is the fact that you can go inside someones dream what is much like bowser inside story. but what i really hate about the game is the beginning, it is the SLOWEST moment i've ever faced in a video game. and the final battle against Bowser is my least favorite battle EVER. in conclusion this game has a view flaws but is overall AWESOME i would say that this is THE game that you must buy for your 3DS. Expand
  32. Feb 3, 2015
    You can't really go wrong with these Mario Rpg games. This is another really good one with funny characters, surprising gameplay at times and a good overall story. The tutorials are bothersome.
  33. Jun 18, 2015
    The Mario and Luigi Series is an impressive RPG series that blend exciting gameplay, lovely music and graphics, and hilarious writing and characters. Even though I consider this a downgrade from Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team is a very fun albeit flawed game.

Pros +Colorful Graphics on the 3DS make the game really pop. +The Dreamy Luigi Attacks and Sections add so much to the

Pros
    +Colorful Graphics on the 3DS make the game really pop.
    +The Dreamy Luigi Attacks and Sections add so much to the gameplay making it arguably the most fun of the series
    +The awesome counterattacks, bros attack, and all other series staples are back in full force.
    +Giant Battles are back and awesome
    +Boss Battles(esp. later in the game) are a sight to behold.
    +Yoko Shimomaru's soundtrack :D
    +If you enjoy the game, there's a lot to do in it.

Cons
    -There is a lot of padding in the game. Sometimes it drags on.
    -Lost some of the humor of the series. The writing isn't as clever as it was.
    -Motion control sections are very gimmicky.
    -The story is...well, boring. The villain is terrible compared to Fawful. Even though I enjoy the boss battles, there is no context behind them. They are just randomly encountered big enemies.

This game is for people who
    +want to enjoy wonderful Mario and Luigi gameplay
    +want a RPG with very action-orientated battles
    +enjoy Nintendo charm and graphics
    +are fans of Yoko Shimomura (which everyone should be)
    +wan ta long game

This game isn't for people who
    -want to laugh and chuckle at clever writing
    -are new to the series, play Superstar Saga or Bowser's Inside Story instead.
    -want a new experience from the other Mario and Luigi games
    -enjoy story and characters
    -want a short game with little padding.

Conclusion: while not nearly as masterful as Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team is an extremely enjoyable game that unfortunately overstays its welcome.

FINAL SCORE: 7.7/10 (rounded to a 8/10)
  34. Jan 10, 2015
    This game had a lot to live up when it came to topping Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. Somehow, Dream Team actually surpassed its predecessors and became the best game in the series!

As you'd expect from a Mario RPG, the story is very engaging. I'm not going to go into spoilers here so don't worry. The main villain Antasma is a nice change of pace from Bowser. The Koopa King can't get the spotlight all time, you know. New characters like Dreambert and Eldream are easy to sympathize with and it's nice to finally see the return of Toadsworth and Broque Monsieur.

The new dream world levels are much better than the "inside Bowser's body levels" from the previous game. The bottom screen displays Luigi and Starlow. The latter must pull Luigi's mustache, tickle his nose, or even flip him upside down to make environmental changes in the dream world. This is a much-needed gameplay change in the Mario & Luigi series and it provides a breath of fresh air to the formula.

The traditional battle system returns with Bros. Attacks, the hammer, and jumping attacks all back. I found the Bros. Attacks to be better than their dream world equivalent, Luiginary Attacks. Luiginary Attacks are more unique but I found them to be overall confusing to use. The developers have also added a new easy mode during battles that will pop up if you die too much.

Speaking of which, the game does like to "hold your hand" from beginning to end. You'll find yourself constantly flipping through dialogue boxes and tutorials. Don't get me wrong, the dialogue and exposition itself is not a problem: the tutorials are. Unfortunately, the game stops holding your hand at the part you need it most. There is a particularly tough sequence in Somnom Woods (the forest area in the game) but I'm not going to go into much detail here.

Overall, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team continues the steady rate of excellence in the series unlike what Paper Mario: Sticker Star did to the Paper Mario series. I can't wait until the next installment!
  35. Oct 29, 2015
    This game is awesome. It's a sequal to Partners in Time and Bowser Inside Story. The graphics look great. The controls are good. The designs are cool. Leveling Mario and Luigi up is the Best thing. The music is great. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is a great game and you should definitely pick it up. If you hate any of the Mario and Luigi RPG Games, you're BEYOND silly as JB.
  36. Mar 30, 2015
    Wer die langen Tutorials außer Acht lässt , wird dieses Spiel lieben ! Alles enorm gute OSts , Kompositionen , Lieder , Soundtrcks oder wie man es sonst noch nennen mag :D Echt schwierige Kämpfe ... Das sollte schon reichen ! ;)
  37. May 14, 2015
    This game doesn't really live up to its predecessor, however it is a great game nonetheless. I didn't find the hefty tutorials at the beginning too bothersome. It may have dragged on a bit long but the clever writing, the wonderful soundtrack (just listen to it!) and the poppy visuals make up for it.
  38. Nov 5, 2015
    First off i'm a huge fan of the Mario and Luigi series, and in saying that this is the best in the series for me. Not only does this game have all the charterers from the past games it's story is the best part of it with it's clever humor and just funny moments. The only part of the game when it seems frustrating is when you have to turn the 3ds system sideways and fight like that, a coolFirst off i'm a huge fan of the Mario and Luigi series, and in saying that this is the best in the series for me. Not only does this game have all the charterers from the past games it's story is the best part of it with it's clever humor and just funny moments. The only part of the game when it seems frustrating is when you have to turn the 3ds system sideways and fight like that, a cool idea used in the last game but fails in the same way as they used it last time. It's just hard to use it and you will most likely need to try again on the last fight. That being said the game is worth the price with its amazing story, funny charterers, fun fighting system, and amazing music pick this game up whenever you can. Expand
  39. Dec 12, 2015
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is a stellar entry to the series; unique and fun characters, both new and familiar, solid gameplay, a balanced battle system and amazing storyline that does a good job of living up to the past installments. The beginning is fairly sluggish with it's over amount of tutorials, but once you get passed that, the game is a memorable adventure and a great 3DS title.
  40. Mar 26, 2016
    [ Written on December 27th, 2015 ] Despite the heavy use of tutorials (Which is why it never got a 10), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team introduces new techniques for 3DS owners such as moving your 3DS all around and that couple of stuff. The graphics look insanely great from the 3DS. The music's lovably to listen to especially music like "Stand and Fight, Luigi!" and "Adventure's End." It's[ Written on December 27th, 2015 ] Despite the heavy use of tutorials (Which is why it never got a 10), Mario & Luigi: Dream Team introduces new techniques for 3DS owners such as moving your 3DS all around and that couple of stuff. The graphics look insanely great from the 3DS. The music's lovably to listen to especially music like "Stand and Fight, Luigi!" and "Adventure's End." It's another adventure you don't want your game to end. Perfect Year of Luigi game for those who want a perfect game all about Luigi.... and a million of Dreamy Luigis! Expand
  41. May 25, 2016
    This game is good RPG . This game is one of the best game on Nintendo 3DS . Good graphics for 3DS, but not really good graphics for 2013, but it is not a plus Mario and Luigi Series, plua Mario and Luigi Series this storyline and storyline in this game is amazing and bosses very interesting and funny . One of the best RPG on Mario Series . This game even better than Mario and Luigi Paper Jam .
  42. Apr 1, 2016
    Although a rough 5 hour opening, Dream Team still achieves greatness. With great music, writing, and likeable characters Dream team and it's art style are great.
  43. Jun 16, 2016
    This game is really fun, has great graphics and music, is clever like the dream world is able to be interacted with by using Luigi's face on the bottom screen using a stylist, and has great humor. The only thing I hate is that Bowser is the main villain, which is a bland final boss.
  44. Jul 21, 2016
    The story is okay and the gameplay is amazing! The music is great and the humor can appeal to me. The game gets very creative with so much variety. I love this game!
  45. Nov 10, 2016
    This is the first 3DS game that I ever bought. Great game play. I like the mixture of puzzle, RPG, and platforming. The game ending was pretty good (sorry no spoilers). 10/10
  46. Jan 14, 2017
    Holy Balls. I've played every single Mario & Luigi game (including Paper Jam) and this one is the best one of them by a fair amount. The world feels alive and colorful, the plot is okay for these types of games. not too deep, but you can get into it. Also: This. Effing. Soundtrack! I still listen to "Try, Try Again", "Victory in the Dream World" and "Never Let Up" to this day. Make sure toHoly Balls. I've played every single Mario & Luigi game (including Paper Jam) and this one is the best one of them by a fair amount. The world feels alive and colorful, the plot is okay for these types of games. not too deep, but you can get into it. Also: This. Effing. Soundtrack! I still listen to "Try, Try Again", "Victory in the Dream World" and "Never Let Up" to this day. Make sure to check out the fantastic OST if you are interested in this game. Gameplay wise its what you'd expect: Tons of Action, a good combat system, a fair difficulty curve and tons of unlockables. Even if you've never played a Mario& Luigi Series title, you will have no problem with Dream Team in my opinion. I literally have nothing bad to say about this game. 10/10 Expand
  47. Feb 22, 2017
    Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros does this saga justice, and it's also a great RPG. It's an incredible game with some of the lovable gameplay from the other games along with new elements. The dream sections of this game are by far the most fun of the game. The combos and attacks you can unleash with thousands of Luigis are extremely creative and well designed. this game last well over 30Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros does this saga justice, and it's also a great RPG. It's an incredible game with some of the lovable gameplay from the other games along with new elements. The dream sections of this game are by far the most fun of the game. The combos and attacks you can unleash with thousands of Luigis are extremely creative and well designed. this game last well over 30 hours, especially if you are a completionist. The sections in the real world are less fun than the dream world but are still great. Expand
  48. Jul 6, 2018
    No me pareció mejor que el anterior, pero conserva los aspectos, y cumple con las características que tiene la saga.
  49. Jan 6, 2018
    Mario and Luigi: Dream Team is a very fantastic 3DS game that is so astonishing. Yes, the tutorials are long and boring, but I like it a lot(even more than Bowser's Inside Story).
  50. Jul 18, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Los juegos de esta saga son excelentes, y este no podía ser menos. A pesar de que la historia no suele importar demasiado en esta saga, en este titulo esta bien metida. Un concepto muy original el de controlar los sueños con luigi. Expand
  51. Dec 1, 2018
    Creative and delightful! It's fun and it can be tough too. And the best part of it: it takes 40 hours!!!!... I mean the best part is that the game is located in Portugal!!!!!
  52. Sep 22, 2018
    This game is my favorite Mario and Luigi game Bowers's inside story can go suck an egg this game is really the best. Sure the constant tutorials are mind numbing even for a first play through, but once those are over your in for a treat!
  53. Apr 25, 2018
    The only Mario & Luigi game I ever played. It was a breath of fresh air for me and found the game very entertaining.

Super boring and lengthy tutorials however and story should have been shorter too. It was exhausted in its length.

Nice one-off experience, will not be coming back to another game in the series.
  54. May 6, 2018
    Fantastic an amazing RPG that i really got in to. Combat is fun, strategic and skill based the progression feels right and yes sometimes this game is really challenging( those wooden things in the dream when you're in the city) The worlds are so great. The mega battles are really fun and epic but sometimes feel clunky. The dreams ad a hole other dimension to the game and you can controlFantastic an amazing RPG that i really got in to. Combat is fun, strategic and skill based the progression feels right and yes sometimes this game is really challenging( those wooden things in the dream when you're in the city) The worlds are so great. The mega battles are really fun and epic but sometimes feel clunky. The dreams ad a hole other dimension to the game and you can control Luigi from the outside to change up the environment a bit Expand
  55. Sep 16, 2018
    Many have something like Mario 64 or Odyssey as their favorite Mario game. In my opinion, the best Mario game is the 4th entry of Mario & Luigi: it is Dream Team! Unlike previous entries, the music is finally mkre realistic and have the best soundtrack of the serie (thank you Mrs. Shimomura!). The story is a little bit more intense than normal Mario game and the characters have moreMany have something like Mario 64 or Odyssey as their favorite Mario game. In my opinion, the best Mario game is the 4th entry of Mario & Luigi: it is Dream Team! Unlike previous entries, the music is finally mkre realistic and have the best soundtrack of the serie (thank you Mrs. Shimomura!). The story is a little bit more intense than normal Mario game and the characters have more devellopement. Liked also the visual style, remote control in the Luiginary Ball and that star attack, giant battle and minigames! Hope a totally new Mario & Luigi game (not crossover and remakes) will arrive on Switch soon! Expand
  56. Dec 2, 2018
    Dream Team loves to embrace the weirdness and quirkiness of the Mario and Luigi series, and I love that about it. The battle system now has a new way to fight, with the chaotic dream battles. The story has a unique touch, with Antasma being one of my favorite villains of the series, right behind Fawful. The music and graphics are both impressive for a 3DS game. The absolute worst thingDream Team loves to embrace the weirdness and quirkiness of the Mario and Luigi series, and I love that about it. The battle system now has a new way to fight, with the chaotic dream battles. The story has a unique touch, with Antasma being one of my favorite villains of the series, right behind Fawful. The music and graphics are both impressive for a 3DS game. The absolute worst thing I'll say about this game is the FREAKING UNSKIPPABLE TUTORIALS. They are EVERYWHERE. Other than that, this is a great Mario RPG for the 3DS. Expand
  57. Jan 30, 2019
    The only thing I dislike is the tutorials. Great music , looks nice for a 3DS game, and unique gameplay! Even better that Superstar Saga IMO. 10 out of 10
  58. Jun 26, 2019
    Mario and Luigi dream is a hilarious Mario RPG. This is the fourth installment in the Mario and Luigi RPG Franchise right after BIS. People bash this game because of the tutorials, when BIS has just as many tutorials has DT. Don’t listen to the People who say this game sucks since it doesn’t have fawful, it has Popple from superstar saga, so give this game a shot.
  59. Jul 8, 2019
    I loved this game so much. The music felt so atmospheric and was done really well. The tutorials were a bit stretched out, but I absolutely loved the game. This was my first M and L game because it came with my 3ds and I have beaten every other game since. I have replayed this game countless times and it never feels like a drag as replaying most games does. Excellent graphics, gameplay,I loved this game so much. The music felt so atmospheric and was done really well. The tutorials were a bit stretched out, but I absolutely loved the game. This was my first M and L game because it came with my 3ds and I have beaten every other game since. I have replayed this game countless times and it never feels like a drag as replaying most games does. Excellent graphics, gameplay, music, and a pretty great story.

Also, I liked the Ultibed part. Sue me.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 7, 2013
    A dreamy adventure in a dreamy world. Thankfully Mario's vacations always end in crisis, since they seem to make excellent games. Dream Team Bros is both funny and sympathetic at the same time. [Aug 2013]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 19, 2013
    Mario along with Luigi mash their competition by far with their new ideas, and they also manage to entertain both the young and the old ones. [Issue#232]
  3. Sep 16, 2013
    The battles prove your skill, the humor will make you laugh and the design of La Dormita and its dream-pendant are gorgeous.