8.4

1. Oct 16, 2017
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga back on the Gameboy Advance was an amazing game and the start of an amazing series. Featuring a charming cast of characters and a well thought out plot, the game was pretty stellar for it's time. However, it was plagued by messy overworld controls that sometimes came off as confusing and frustrating. Now, fourteen years later, the superstars return to theMario & Luigi: Superstar Saga back on the Gameboy Advance was an amazing game and the start of an amazing series. Featuring a charming cast of characters and a well thought out plot, the game was pretty stellar for it's time. However, it was plagued by messy overworld controls that sometimes came off as confusing and frustrating. Now, fourteen years later, the superstars return to the saga's start with updated visuals and, best of all, updated controls. So how does this remake stack to the original?

Well the answer to that question is a matter of opinion, but to me, the remake was simply amazing. The updated visuals were one of the key things I loved about the game, taking Dream Team's sprite work and giving it a slight upgrade. While the sprites themselves are simply reused, the sprites are now affected by the lighting of the world around them, making them look much more visually appealing. Simply put, the game looked gorgeous. Some people say that the use of Dream Team's art style takes away from the original game. I personally disagree and think the game retains just as much charm as the original did.

However, the one thing that I have to give the most credit to was the controls. Fixing the problem the original had, swapping through Mario and Luigi's large amount of individual abilities was made much easier in this game compared to the original. Each action has it's own icon and selecting the action is as simple as pressing the L or R buttons. Cycling through them may take a bit of time, but it's much better than swapping the brother's positions, then cycling through their individual abilities from there. On top of that, the game features the gameplay additions seen in later titles, such as two jumps on enemies when using the jump command and the fact that Mario and Luigi don't drop their hammers when counterattacking. And with these easier additions, enemies do gain a bit of a stat boost to even it out, so it doesn't make the game feel any easier or harder than the original.

I do have one problem with this game. While I respect the fact that the game's main content remained unchanged, it was the lack of any true additions (outside of the Minion Quest, which I'll cover in a second), that surprised me. The biggest surprise was the fact that they didn't add a Battle Ring esque area featured in Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team and Paper Jam. It was something I would've loved to look forward to and would've been an easy and fitting addition. However, nothing of the such was added and that's pretty much my only disappointment.

Now, onto the Minion Quest, the game's new mode. A story that takes place during Mario and Luigi's own adventure, this story is about Bowser's scattered minions and their search for their missing king. The story stars a enthusiastic, yet bumbling Goomba who is more than eager to find King Bowser. He is aided by three more captains; a Shy Guy, a Boo and a Koopa Troopa. Their overall goal is to recruit Bowser's brainwashed minions and save Bowser himself. The overall story is essentially what pushes me to play this mode. The gameplay itself is nothing too spectacular. Players create a team of 8 minions to fight against hoards of other enemies. There are three types of minions; melee units, ranged units and flying units and each play a part of a rock-paper-scissors styled triangle. Melee units are strong against ranged units, ranged against flying and flying against melee. Setting up a proper squad to best counter the enemy units is where the strategy comes in. Once in a battle, however, the player does very little to control the action. Captain Commands can influence the battle and give you a boost in various areas, but that's about it. Still, despite the little player interaction, the mode isn't that bad and I appreciate it for the story and wide cast of characters you can recruit.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions is indeed a faithful retelling of the original GBA masterpiece. While I'm disappointed in the lack of additional content, both the main story and the Minion Quest are enough to keep me satisfied. It's a solid remake that proves that Alpha Dream still has it when it comes to making us laugh with their charming cast of characters.
  2. Oct 7, 2017
    While I still think that Bowser's Inside Story is the better game I can't deny that this game is an incredibly close second. This remake brings all the life and charm from the original and cranks it up to 11, with it's beautiful graphics and fun battle system. I cannot recommend this game enough to anyone who is a fan of the original version or never got a chance to play it. There will beWhile I still think that Bowser's Inside Story is the better game I can't deny that this game is an incredibly close second. This remake brings all the life and charm from the original and cranks it up to 11, with it's beautiful graphics and fun battle system. I cannot recommend this game enough to anyone who is a fan of the original version or never got a chance to play it. There will be people out there who complain about this game being the reason we aren't getting a new Paper Mario (even though that argument makes no sense), but don't let those bad eggs deter you from this wonderful addition to the 3DS library. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2017
    Short and to the point. Flawless game, as good as the original. Superb characters you'll love, great lore in the new Beanbean Kingdom, fun gameplay, and deep storyline! A true Nintendo gem. Well done.
  4. Apr 8, 2018
    Best Game! This game is outstanding because of the quality and story. It is exciting to level up and collect items. So much to do in this game. However, one problem, once I complete the game I end up in the last save spot.
  5. Nov 5, 2017
    It's a pretty good remake of the original gba superstar saga. For those who had played the original gba version, the game mechanics might not seems familiar as before because they had updated or change some of the minor game mechanics. Overall, it's still the same game that we all love and remembered.

For players who hasn't play the original game, you should definitely give this a try. It have a really good story, the graphic is is upgraded which looks great and fun game mechanics.
  6. Oct 28, 2017
    For players who have played the first Superstar Saga may not live up to memory for this game's mechanics due to these "improvements" for both battle and over-world.

But for Bowser's Minions bring an expansion to unanswered questions during Superstar Saga. The mechanics give more than an RPG to enjoy with the least rage-quits and full amusement for the battle style, also giving the Mario series the first Pokemon-style battles.
  7. Mar 5, 2018
    Pros:
    -It fits the standards of graphical quality and the game has excellent musics.
    Pros:
    -It fits the standards of graphical quality and the game has excellent musics.
    -It has a new playable mode, that is quite interesting to be honest (the minions mode), however the game mode feels lacklusting and could have had more developments put into it, infact the plot of that game mode could have been done properly, because the original didn't have a single plothole, this remake adds plotholes to the game. Sad.
    -The block button from paper jam returns and to be fair, this game has a better use of the block button than Paper Jam (since 70% of the bosses could kill you in one hit, even with parying), however I feel like that at the same time, it makes the game kinda too easy.
    -The story is great (Well, it's a remake and the original had an excellent story to begin with), however the remaster has plotholes.

Cons:
    -Many of the problems that were in the original game aren't fixed in the remaster.
    -It is easier than the original (reasons stated above).
    -It has plotholes (because of the new game mode which is good on its own, but is underdeveloped).
    -The dialogue in the minions game mode feels dumbed down. I sometimes cringed when I read certain paragraphs.

Overall, a good game, but it's not a masterpiece either.
  8. Oct 6, 2017
    Following as a successor to Dream Team and Paper Jam and functions as the first remake in the Mario RPG series, Nintendo attempts to take everything that was very lovable about Superstar Saga by forming it into more than just the original game for modern consoles. Now with graphics and gameplay blending in as its two latest predecessors and a side story to complete, Mario & Luigi:Following as a successor to Dream Team and Paper Jam and functions as the first remake in the Mario RPG series, Nintendo attempts to take everything that was very lovable about Superstar Saga by forming it into more than just the original game for modern consoles. Now with graphics and gameplay blending in as its two latest predecessors and a side story to complete, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions will finally be a dream come true for a lot of users who never had the opportunity to play the straight original game for the Game Boy Advance. Expand
  9. Mar 1, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have to say, i went into this game with high hopes since i have played all of them up until Dream Team and....i was sorely disappointed.

First off some good things :

+Mush Badges were nerfed

+Art is nice and vibrant.

+The minimap on the touchscreen is just as good if not better than in the DS games

+Some of the remixed songs are amazingly good.

+Bowser's Minions is a pretty decent idea IN CONCEPT.

+Starbeans Cafe was buffed (As in doesn't require 25, only 10 beans total for a coffee)

+Level up stat bonuses were made into actually obtainable bonuses instead of a random wheel where you usually get +1-s when there are +4-s on the roulette. It now stops when you press it.

--And now for the bad things :

-Mush Badges were nerfed to oblivion, like holy hell did they overdo it. Yes they completely broke the game originally but now they completely broke the badges, into absolute uselessnes. By the time you get even the basic Mush Badge you can buy a TWICE as good badge from the shop! This is a case of over-nerfing something.

-The artstyle while in some parts beautiful, sorely lacks the quirky personality and charm of the original game. Some of the visual, sight and slapstick gags just simply do NOT work like this.

-The touchscreen UI for moves while helpful is a bit clunky at times.

-No 3D whatsoever even though this is a 3DS game.And it's not like Pokémon Moon where the art would be taxing the console...

-No swapping Mario and Luigi uness it's move-specific, i mean come on!

-Some songs just do NOT sound as good as the original (Looking at you Teehee Valley and Popple.)

-The above mentioned "in concept" part of Bowser's Minions only works in that context. In practice this side-gamemode feels a bit tacked on, tries to handwavingly explain a lot of nonexistent plotholes (like why E.Gadd made Starbeans Cafe, like we REALLY needed to know that...) while creating more, and the gameplay itself is rather primitive. Just mash together a few units (8-max per team) and watch them bash heads, and wait for a few semi-random QTE's to pop up.An interesting yet shallow side-mode.

-No option to swap between the GBA and Remastered soundtrack, even though you CAN listen to the GBA original songs IN the sound player IN-GAME!

-The rewards for putting in the effort to 100% the game is not only lackluster, it's absolutely INSULTING. While the "turn enemy gained coins into beans" for collecting 100% of the hidden beans sounds nice, it procs WAY TOO RARELY, and the reward of "Swapping your Attack for your Speed" for finding ALL 100% OF THE BLOCKS, which DON'T COUNT IF YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL is just downright *INEXCUSABLE*. I'm not even going to bother trying to go for the "Dodge 800 enemy attacks" reward after the absolute useless trash i got for "1000 Excellent ratings when attacking" The game basically taunts you in the Records menu on what you did and did not do, then spits in your face when you actually take the effort to DO what it asks you.

All in all it's a decent game with a lot of odd, nonsensical design changes at times, and sorely lacking endgame. Basically your best gear will come from the ruined shop at the end of the game. Avoid 100%ing it, it's not worth it, but if you're looking to relive this GBA classic, it's worth it just for the story. , and i'm giving it a 6/10 ,
  10. Oct 6, 2017
    Pretty decent remake. The game has been balanced better so battles are more difficult as a result, and the battle mechanics have been updated as well. There is also a good amount of quality of life improvements that make the game flow better and make exploration of the overworld more enjoyable as it's quicker to switch between bros. moves.New art style is very good also, I'm not a fan ofPretty decent remake. The game has been balanced better so battles are more difficult as a result, and the battle mechanics have been updated as well. There is also a good amount of quality of life improvements that make the game flow better and make exploration of the overworld more enjoyable as it's quicker to switch between bros. moves.New art style is very good also, I'm not a fan of some of certain redesigns (regular toads, koopas, etc) but everything aside from those is intact and look fantastic. Overall this remake is a bit better than the original due to these improvements. Note that I said a bit since everything else is pretty much exactly the same, from the writing, to the structure of the game, and any problem that existed because of this is still there. Another thing I should note is that outside of the new Minions Quest mode, there isn't any new content (not even the battle/challange rings from the previous three entries). If you've played the original then there's not much point in buying this remake (unless you don't own it anymore) as it's very much almost the same as the original. Though if you haven't ever played the original then I'd recommend this version due to the numerous improvements and QoL changes. Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2017
    The original is my favorite game in the series, but after playing through this version, was a remake really necessary? I suppose if you have no way to access the original game boy advance version, but this new version doesn't offer much more than the original did.
    The original game was a lot faster, while this one feels much slower. The moves are slower, especially when using the brother attacks, and there is more hand holding involved. All I would say this game has going for it is the beautiful visuals, but that doesn't make a better game. The original was already beautiful on its own, so I don't really feel the new visuals improve much on the original content.
    The game's difficulty was dropped down several bars, which is a disappointment, that's playing with easy mode off. Like I mentioned, the moves have been slowed down, the brother attacks prompt you when you need to move a brother, and for some reason when you do a normal bouncing attack, you have the ability to do a second bounce, but why? In the original you only bounced on an enemy once and then moved on to the next character determined by their speed. Also heart boxes have been added to the game, which wasn't in the original American version (Japanese version did have this). The game also constantly spoils you with mushrooms after you kill almost every enemy. I had so many mushroom I just sold them all. To top it all off, the bosses feel way easier. I took them all out with no more than three rounds, and I am not one to farm for experience points.
    One little personal disappointment I have is that you can't put Luigi in the lead with the basic jumping action. Switching between which brother leads would determine which action moves you can use, but now you just scroll through the moves with the L and R buttons (or use the touch screen).
    Bottom line is if you are looking for a little more of a challenge, play the original. If you haven't played the original, pick up the 3DS version, you naturally shouldn't notice what you are missing.
    All facts aside, it is a great game with an awesome story.
  12. Oct 27, 2017
    This is a great game. Superstar Saga was already an astonishing game on the GBA, and this is an amazing remake of it. I have beaten it 100%, and I really liked the updated graphics and the enhanced mechanics, like pinning some parts of the map, which allows to mark, for example, bean spots before you get the mole ability, so that you can return to all of them later, and many moreThis is a great game. Superstar Saga was already an astonishing game on the GBA, and this is an amazing remake of it. I have beaten it 100%, and I really liked the updated graphics and the enhanced mechanics, like pinning some parts of the map, which allows to mark, for example, bean spots before you get the mole ability, so that you can return to all of them later, and many more inaccessible places that get unlocked with new abilities. The game wasn't very hard for me, but that may be because I am very experienced with Mario & Luigi games, having beaten all of them. It's cool they added an easy mode for younger and new players, but it would have been great if they had added something optional to increase the difficulty a bit too.

As for the Bowser's Minions quest, I have to say I really enjoyed it! All the text in it is hilarious, and it explains a few parts of the story that were unexplained during the main story of Superstar Saga, for instance, the invincibility mushroom's origin. The gameplay is quite simple but you have to do quite a few things during battles, which in my opinion are quite fun, although there is not much variety in terms of strategy, what works early in the quest will likely work too in future stages. The variety of your team, however, is quite cool, as you get to recruit more than fifty different kind of minions, which include the Koopalings, and a few special guests I won't mention!

All in all, Superstar Saga is a superb RPG that feels modern in this 3DS version and the Bowser's Minions quest adds a few entertaining hours to the game, so I recommend this to any 3DS user, whether you played the GBA version of the game or not!
  13. Sep 25, 2019
    Un maravilloso remake del que es mi juego favorito de Gameboy Advance. Mantiene toda la esencia y lo que más deslumbra es un apartado artístico precioso. Ya se veía bien el de Gameboy Advance, pero este lo hace aún más.
  14. Jan 30, 2019
    Having not played the original, I thought it was so nice, I played it twice! (really!) 9 out of 10.
  15. Feb 24, 2019
    Underrated game: Superstars is great and beloved sure but mroe people need to know this remake, which is that game, plus additions, a better look and the whole deal with the koopa minions adventures
  16. Sep 8, 2019
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is a classic, and this new version is arguably the definitive version. Yes, Bowser's Minions is a harmless but shallow add-on, but the Superstars are the real attraction.

This is a series that has a distinct and special place within Nintendo gaming, and after experimentation and not-always-popular approaches in the 3DS era of games, this takes us back to the IP's roots. What a treat it is, too - funny, smartly designed and pure unpretentious joy, this is a great start point for those that missed the original in the Game Boy Advance era, and should also be tempting to those with fond memories of the adventure.
  17. Sep 18, 2019
    You can never go wrong with a Mario and Luigi game! If you are a fan of the series or want a good starting point, play this game!

1. Jan 22, 2019
    If you've never played a Mario & Luigi game, this is a perfect entry point. If you're coming back to re-experience a game you've played and loved, it still holds up. If the main draw is the Minion Quest side game, this might be worth a pass, but it's amusing enough if you're going to pick up the game anyway. Either way, even after 15 years, I had a blast playing this game. I can't wait to get my hands on more Mario & Luigi titles, and hope they continue the series in the future.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 16, 2018
    Remake of the older Marios RPG – still funny, full of possibilities and opponents. To this is added a separate war miniature game, which, however, next to Mario acts rather static. [Issue#279]
  3. Nov 29, 2017
    There's no strong reason to go back and play the original version of Mario and Luigi with this one around, and I had about as much fun now as I did in 2003. The interface amenities are certainly a nice touch, Bowser's Minions is a very respectable addition, and having a beefed-up role for the Koopalings as minions is something I personally delighted in experiencing. It's certainly not going to convert anyone who never cared for this style of game, but what's here is a fun romp.