8.4

1. Mar 5, 2018
    Pros:
    -It fits the standards of graphical quality and the game has excellent musics.
    Pros:
    -It fits the standards of graphical quality and the game has excellent musics.
    -It has a new playable mode, that is quite interesting to be honest (the minions mode), however the game mode feels lacklusting and could have had more developments put into it, infact the plot of that game mode could have been done properly, because the original didn't have a single plothole, this remake adds plotholes to the game. Sad.
    -The block button from paper jam returns and to be fair, this game has a better use of the block button than Paper Jam (since 70% of the bosses could kill you in one hit, even with parying), however I feel like that at the same time, it makes the game kinda too easy.
    -The story is great (Well, it's a remake and the original had an excellent story to begin with), however the remaster has plotholes.

Cons:
    -Many of the problems that were in the original game aren't fixed in the remaster.
    -It is easier than the original (reasons stated above).
    -It has plotholes (because of the new game mode which is good on its own, but is underdeveloped).
    -The dialogue in the minions game mode feels dumbed down. I sometimes cringed when I read certain paragraphs.

Overall, a good game, but it's not a masterpiece either.
  2. Mar 1, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Have to say, i went into this game with high hopes since i have played all of them up until Dream Team and....i was sorely disappointed.

First off some good things :

+Mush Badges were nerfed

+Art is nice and vibrant.

+The minimap on the touchscreen is just as good if not better than in the DS games

+Some of the remixed songs are amazingly good.

+Bowser's Minions is a pretty decent idea IN CONCEPT.

+Starbeans Cafe was buffed (As in doesn't require 25, only 10 beans total for a coffee)

+Level up stat bonuses were made into actually obtainable bonuses instead of a random wheel where you usually get +1-s when there are +4-s on the roulette. It now stops when you press it.

--And now for the bad things :

-Mush Badges were nerfed to oblivion, like holy hell did they overdo it. Yes they completely broke the game originally but now they completely broke the badges, into absolute uselessnes. By the time you get even the basic Mush Badge you can buy a TWICE as good badge from the shop! This is a case of over-nerfing something.

-The artstyle while in some parts beautiful, sorely lacks the quirky personality and charm of the original game. Some of the visual, sight and slapstick gags just simply do NOT work like this.

-The touchscreen UI for moves while helpful is a bit clunky at times.

-No 3D whatsoever even though this is a 3DS game.And it's not like Pokémon Moon where the art would be taxing the console...

-No swapping Mario and Luigi uness it's move-specific, i mean come on!

-Some songs just do NOT sound as good as the original (Looking at you Teehee Valley and Popple.)

-The above mentioned "in concept" part of Bowser's Minions only works in that context. In practice this side-gamemode feels a bit tacked on, tries to handwavingly explain a lot of nonexistent plotholes (like why E.Gadd made Starbeans Cafe, like we REALLY needed to know that...) while creating more, and the gameplay itself is rather primitive. Just mash together a few units (8-max per team) and watch them bash heads, and wait for a few semi-random QTE's to pop up.An interesting yet shallow side-mode.

-No option to swap between the GBA and Remastered soundtrack, even though you CAN listen to the GBA original songs IN the sound player IN-GAME!

-The rewards for putting in the effort to 100% the game is not only lackluster, it's absolutely INSULTING. While the "turn enemy gained coins into beans" for collecting 100% of the hidden beans sounds nice, it procs WAY TOO RARELY, and the reward of "Swapping your Attack for your Speed" for finding ALL 100% OF THE BLOCKS, which DON'T COUNT IF YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL is just downright *INEXCUSABLE*. I'm not even going to bother trying to go for the "Dodge 800 enemy attacks" reward after the absolute useless trash i got for "1000 Excellent ratings when attacking" The game basically taunts you in the Records menu on what you did and did not do, then spits in your face when you actually take the effort to DO what it asks you.

All in all it's a decent game with a lot of odd, nonsensical design changes at times, and sorely lacking endgame. Basically your best gear will come from the ruined shop at the end of the game. Avoid 100%ing it, it's not worth it, but if you're looking to relive this GBA classic, it's worth it just for the story. , and i'm giving it a 6/10 ,
  3. Oct 11, 2017
    The original is my favorite game in the series, but after playing through this version, was a remake really necessary? I suppose if you have no way to access the original game boy advance version, but this new version doesn't offer much more than the original did.
    The original game was a lot faster, while this one feels much slower. The moves are slower, especially when using the brother attacks, and there is more hand holding involved. All I would say this game has going for it is the beautiful visuals, but that doesn't make a better game. The original was already beautiful on its own, so I don't really feel the new visuals improve much on the original content.
    The game's difficulty was dropped down several bars, which is a disappointment, that's playing with easy mode off. Like I mentioned, the moves have been slowed down, the brother attacks prompt you when you need to move a brother, and for some reason when you do a normal bouncing attack, you have the ability to do a second bounce, but why? In the original you only bounced on an enemy once and then moved on to the next character determined by their speed. Also heart boxes have been added to the game, which wasn't in the original American version (Japanese version did have this). The game also constantly spoils you with mushrooms after you kill almost every enemy. I had so many mushroom I just sold them all. To top it all off, the bosses feel way easier. I took them all out with no more than three rounds, and I am not one to farm for experience points.
    One little personal disappointment I have is that you can't put Luigi in the lead with the basic jumping action. Switching between which brother leads would determine which action moves you can use, but now you just scroll through the moves with the L and R buttons (or use the touch screen).
    Bottom line is if you are looking for a little more of a challenge, play the original. If you haven't played the original, pick up the 3DS version, you naturally shouldn't notice what you are missing.
    All facts aside, it is a great game with an awesome story.

1. Jan 22, 2019
    If you've never played a Mario & Luigi game, this is a perfect entry point. If you're coming back to re-experience a game you've played and loved, it still holds up. If the main draw is the Minion Quest side game, this might be worth a pass, but it's amusing enough if you're going to pick up the game anyway. Either way, even after 15 years, I had a blast playing this game. I can't wait to get my hands on more Mario & Luigi titles, and hope they continue the series in the future.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 16, 2018
    Remake of the older Marios RPG – still funny, full of possibilities and opponents. To this is added a separate war miniature game, which, however, next to Mario acts rather static. [Issue#279]
  3. Nov 29, 2017
    There's no strong reason to go back and play the original version of Mario and Luigi with this one around, and I had about as much fun now as I did in 2003. The interface amenities are certainly a nice touch, Bowser's Minions is a very respectable addition, and having a beefed-up role for the Koopalings as minions is something I personally delighted in experiencing. It's certainly not going to convert anyone who never cared for this style of game, but what's here is a fun romp.