8.4

1. Oct 16, 2017
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga back on the Gameboy Advance was an amazing game and the start of an amazing series. Featuring a charming cast of characters and a well thought out plot, the game was pretty stellar for it's time. However, it was plagued by messy overworld controls that sometimes came off as confusing and frustrating. Now, fourteen years later, the superstars return to theMario & Luigi: Superstar Saga back on the Gameboy Advance was an amazing game and the start of an amazing series. Featuring a charming cast of characters and a well thought out plot, the game was pretty stellar for it's time. However, it was plagued by messy overworld controls that sometimes came off as confusing and frustrating. Now, fourteen years later, the superstars return to the saga's start with updated visuals and, best of all, updated controls. So how does this remake stack to the original?

Well the answer to that question is a matter of opinion, but to me, the remake was simply amazing. The updated visuals were one of the key things I loved about the game, taking Dream Team's sprite work and giving it a slight upgrade. While the sprites themselves are simply reused, the sprites are now affected by the lighting of the world around them, making them look much more visually appealing. Simply put, the game looked gorgeous. Some people say that the use of Dream Team's art style takes away from the original game. I personally disagree and think the game retains just as much charm as the original did.

However, the one thing that I have to give the most credit to was the controls. Fixing the problem the original had, swapping through Mario and Luigi's large amount of individual abilities was made much easier in this game compared to the original. Each action has it's own icon and selecting the action is as simple as pressing the L or R buttons. Cycling through them may take a bit of time, but it's much better than swapping the brother's positions, then cycling through their individual abilities from there. On top of that, the game features the gameplay additions seen in later titles, such as two jumps on enemies when using the jump command and the fact that Mario and Luigi don't drop their hammers when counterattacking. And with these easier additions, enemies do gain a bit of a stat boost to even it out, so it doesn't make the game feel any easier or harder than the original.

I do have one problem with this game. While I respect the fact that the game's main content remained unchanged, it was the lack of any true additions (outside of the Minion Quest, which I'll cover in a second), that surprised me. The biggest surprise was the fact that they didn't add a Battle Ring esque area featured in Bowser's Inside Story, Dream Team and Paper Jam. It was something I would've loved to look forward to and would've been an easy and fitting addition. However, nothing of the such was added and that's pretty much my only disappointment.

Now, onto the Minion Quest, the game's new mode. A story that takes place during Mario and Luigi's own adventure, this story is about Bowser's scattered minions and their search for their missing king. The story stars a enthusiastic, yet bumbling Goomba who is more than eager to find King Bowser. He is aided by three more captains; a Shy Guy, a Boo and a Koopa Troopa. Their overall goal is to recruit Bowser's brainwashed minions and save Bowser himself. The overall story is essentially what pushes me to play this mode. The gameplay itself is nothing too spectacular. Players create a team of 8 minions to fight against hoards of other enemies. There are three types of minions; melee units, ranged units and flying units and each play a part of a rock-paper-scissors styled triangle. Melee units are strong against ranged units, ranged against flying and flying against melee. Setting up a proper squad to best counter the enemy units is where the strategy comes in. Once in a battle, however, the player does very little to control the action. Captain Commands can influence the battle and give you a boost in various areas, but that's about it. Still, despite the little player interaction, the mode isn't that bad and I appreciate it for the story and wide cast of characters you can recruit.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions is indeed a faithful retelling of the original GBA masterpiece. While I'm disappointed in the lack of additional content, both the main story and the Minion Quest are enough to keep me satisfied. It's a solid remake that proves that Alpha Dream still has it when it comes to making us laugh with their charming cast of characters.
  2. Oct 7, 2017
    While I still think that Bowser's Inside Story is the better game I can't deny that this game is an incredibly close second. This remake brings all the life and charm from the original and cranks it up to 11, with it's beautiful graphics and fun battle system. I cannot recommend this game enough to anyone who is a fan of the original version or never got a chance to play it. There will beWhile I still think that Bowser's Inside Story is the better game I can't deny that this game is an incredibly close second. This remake brings all the life and charm from the original and cranks it up to 11, with it's beautiful graphics and fun battle system. I cannot recommend this game enough to anyone who is a fan of the original version or never got a chance to play it. There will be people out there who complain about this game being the reason we aren't getting a new Paper Mario (even though that argument makes no sense), but don't let those bad eggs deter you from this wonderful addition to the 3DS library. Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2017
    Short and to the point. Flawless game, as good as the original. Superb characters you'll love, great lore in the new Beanbean Kingdom, fun gameplay, and deep storyline! A true Nintendo gem. Well done.
  4. Apr 8, 2018
    Best Game! This game is outstanding because of the quality and story. It is exciting to level up and collect items. So much to do in this game. However, one problem, once I complete the game I end up in the last save spot.
  5. Nov 5, 2017
    It's a pretty good remake of the original gba superstar saga. For those who had played the original gba version, the game mechanics might not seems familiar as before because they had updated or change some of the minor game mechanics. Overall, it's still the same game that we all love and remembered.

For players who hasn't play the original game, you should definitely give this a try. It have a really good story, the graphic is is upgraded which looks great and fun game mechanics.
  6. Oct 28, 2017
    For players who have played the first Superstar Saga may not live up to memory for this game's mechanics due to these "improvements" for both battle and over-world.

But for Bowser's Minions bring an expansion to unanswered questions during Superstar Saga. The mechanics give more than an RPG to enjoy with the least rage-quits and full amusement for the battle style, also giving the Mario series the first Pokemon-style battles.
  7. Oct 6, 2017
    Following as a successor to Dream Team and Paper Jam and functions as the first remake in the Mario RPG series, Nintendo attempts to take everything that was very lovable about Superstar Saga by forming it into more than just the original game for modern consoles. Now with graphics and gameplay blending in as its two latest predecessors and a side story to complete, Mario & Luigi:Following as a successor to Dream Team and Paper Jam and functions as the first remake in the Mario RPG series, Nintendo attempts to take everything that was very lovable about Superstar Saga by forming it into more than just the original game for modern consoles. Now with graphics and gameplay blending in as its two latest predecessors and a side story to complete, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions will finally be a dream come true for a lot of users who never had the opportunity to play the straight original game for the Game Boy Advance. Expand
  8. Oct 6, 2017
    Pretty decent remake. The game has been balanced better so battles are more difficult as a result, and the battle mechanics have been updated as well. There is also a good amount of quality of life improvements that make the game flow better and make exploration of the overworld more enjoyable as it's quicker to switch between bros. moves.New art style is very good also, I'm not a fan ofPretty decent remake. The game has been balanced better so battles are more difficult as a result, and the battle mechanics have been updated as well. There is also a good amount of quality of life improvements that make the game flow better and make exploration of the overworld more enjoyable as it's quicker to switch between bros. moves.New art style is very good also, I'm not a fan of some of certain redesigns (regular toads, koopas, etc) but everything aside from those is intact and look fantastic. Overall this remake is a bit better than the original due to these improvements. Note that I said a bit since everything else is pretty much exactly the same, from the writing, to the structure of the game, and any problem that existed because of this is still there. Another thing I should note is that outside of the new Minions Quest mode, there isn't any new content (not even the battle/challange rings from the previous three entries). If you've played the original then there's not much point in buying this remake (unless you don't own it anymore) as it's very much almost the same as the original. Though if you haven't ever played the original then I'd recommend this version due to the numerous improvements and QoL changes. Expand
  9. Oct 27, 2017
    This is a great game. Superstar Saga was already an astonishing game on the GBA, and this is an amazing remake of it. I have beaten it 100%, and I really liked the updated graphics and the enhanced mechanics, like pinning some parts of the map, which allows to mark, for example, bean spots before you get the mole ability, so that you can return to all of them later, and many moreThis is a great game. Superstar Saga was already an astonishing game on the GBA, and this is an amazing remake of it. I have beaten it 100%, and I really liked the updated graphics and the enhanced mechanics, like pinning some parts of the map, which allows to mark, for example, bean spots before you get the mole ability, so that you can return to all of them later, and many more inaccessible places that get unlocked with new abilities. The game wasn't very hard for me, but that may be because I am very experienced with Mario & Luigi games, having beaten all of them. It's cool they added an easy mode for younger and new players, but it would have been great if they had added something optional to increase the difficulty a bit too.

As for the Bowser's Minions quest, I have to say I really enjoyed it! All the text in it is hilarious, and it explains a few parts of the story that were unexplained during the main story of Superstar Saga, for instance, the invincibility mushroom's origin. The gameplay is quite simple but you have to do quite a few things during battles, which in my opinion are quite fun, although there is not much variety in terms of strategy, what works early in the quest will likely work too in future stages. The variety of your team, however, is quite cool, as you get to recruit more than fifty different kind of minions, which include the Koopalings, and a few special guests I won't mention!

All in all, Superstar Saga is a superb RPG that feels modern in this 3DS version and the Bowser's Minions quest adds a few entertaining hours to the game, so I recommend this to any 3DS user, whether you played the GBA version of the game or not!
  10. Jan 30, 2019
    Having not played the original, I thought it was so nice, I played it twice! (really!) 9 out of 10.
  11. Feb 24, 2019
    Underrated game: Superstars is great and beloved sure but mroe people need to know this remake, which is that game, plus additions, a better look and the whole deal with the koopa minions adventures

1. Jan 22, 2019
    If you've never played a Mario & Luigi game, this is a perfect entry point. If you're coming back to re-experience a game you've played and loved, it still holds up. If the main draw is the Minion Quest side game, this might be worth a pass, but it's amusing enough if you're going to pick up the game anyway. Either way, even after 15 years, I had a blast playing this game. I can't wait to get my hands on more Mario & Luigi titles, and hope they continue the series in the future.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 16, 2018
    Remake of the older Marios RPG – still funny, full of possibilities and opponents. To this is added a separate war miniature game, which, however, next to Mario acts rather static. [Issue#279]
  3. Nov 29, 2017
    There's no strong reason to go back and play the original version of Mario and Luigi with this one around, and I had about as much fun now as I did in 2003. The interface amenities are certainly a nice touch, Bowser's Minions is a very respectable addition, and having a beefed-up role for the Koopalings as minions is something I personally delighted in experiencing. It's certainly not going to convert anyone who never cared for this style of game, but what's here is a fun romp.