7.5

1. Feb 26, 2014
    I've never had any console besides a 3dsxl and Steam doesn't work on my computer. Therefore, Retro City Rampage had been unplayable for me for a couple of years. When the news came that it would arrive on 3ds I couldn't contain my excitement. I was so excited that I downloaded it at 6:00 am the day it came out. And never once have I regretted the purchase. Retro City Rampage DX is anI've never had any console besides a 3dsxl and Steam doesn't work on my computer. Therefore, Retro City Rampage had been unplayable for me for a couple of years. When the news came that it would arrive on 3ds I couldn't contain my excitement. I was so excited that I downloaded it at 6:00 am the day it came out. And never once have I regretted the purchase. Retro City Rampage DX is an absolute masterpiece. It's basically GTA in the 90's. Now that may not sound the best but let me finish. First, I'm going to start with the visuals. This game is mastered perfectly for a "retro" feel. There are 13 different radio stations so you can change the music while playing! Plus, you can change the colors to look like any 80's or 90's gaming system. Next, I'll talk about gameplay. The open world city is HUGE! There are over 20 different vehicles to drive and you can customize Player, your avatar, with various hats and glasses. So once you beat the main game, open world wil have you on the run from the cops for years to come. The missions are full of charm, character, and humor! There are 62 missions in all that you can enjoy. Some are WAY easier that others. The first few missions are insanely easy but around level 25 the difficulty spikes. The missions will have you thinking, trying not to get blown up by the cops and, well raging. I mean raging to the point where you'll throw your system out the window! Sometimes the story doesn't make any sense but that's why this is called a parody game. Sometimes you'll be laughing out loud at the games references. Other times you'll be thinking : really? In terms of extras the game is loaded! here's a list of some of them: there are 3 mini games : bit trip runner (WARNING: this one's a rager, epic meal time, and super meat boy, there are shops where you can change your cars color and equip it with guns and missile launchers, various stores that sell various things, countless items for you to find throughout the city, warp pipes to different zones, a casino (you can actually gamble), arcade challenges (fun mini-missions) and much, much more! In conclusion, this game is, in all aspects, perfect and essential for any 3ds owners. This was $10 well spent. GRAPHICS: 10/10. SOUNDTRACK: 10/10. GAMEPLAY: 10/10 EXTRAS/BONUSES/SIDE CONTENT :10/10. LASTING APPEAL: 10/10. FUN: 10/10. Expand
  2. AQY
    Mar 1, 2014
    That's really a very good game! I would say, that this game is the best eShop Game forever. The Controls a fantastic und the story is LEGENDARY xD. BUY THIS GAME!!! :D
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    Great game port, is the weight that I can say positive. Cons are - not disclosed potential 3D (It is not used in the game)
    8/10 for port
    9/10 for game
  4. Mar 15, 2014
    Great game,so funny.Good price.I don't use to buy this kind of game,but I have to say that is a big surprise.I'm so happy with it.The retro look is cool,it reminds me when I was young and I played videogames.It's almost like a 8 bits GTA.
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    If you like the old top down GTA games, or even just oldschool NES games, you'll love this. Wasn't really bothered by the lack of 3D since the 3D is so hard to use anyway. Controls take a little getting used to.

Overall, a hilarious, nostalgia fueled adventure with an extra dose of explosions.
    Highly recommend for any platform.
  6. Mar 25, 2014
    I loved the old school look with great playability. I've never played any other version and that's ok because this is a damn near perfect game. I just don't like how HARD the bonus arcade games are to unlock, other than that its GREAT!!
  7. Apr 13, 2014
    Take a trip to the past with Retro City Rampage DX, an eShop title released by VBLANK Entertainment inc. I’m honestly not sure how exactly to categorize this game based off of it’s gameplay. However, after playing the game to what I consider to be it’s full extent, I can say it is something that people will have to experience to fully understand. Although Retro City Rampage has alreadyTake a trip to the past with Retro City Rampage DX, an eShop title released by VBLANK Entertainment inc. I’m honestly not sure how exactly to categorize this game based off of it’s gameplay. However, after playing the game to what I consider to be it’s full extent, I can say it is something that people will have to experience to fully understand. Although Retro City Rampage has already been released on other consoles, the 3DS received the DX version which has a lot of updated technical and visual enhancements. So if you have played it once, I would highly consider playing it again for an updated experience.

Welcome to Retro City Rampage DX, you take on the role of….Player…(yep) a greaser looking hooligan who is never up to any good. One day Player is approached by the Jester, a psychotic maniac who is always looking for the next big score. After a heist goes wrong, Player is transported to a distant future via a porta-potty style TARDIS.(Linked for those non-whovian readers) From there is he discovered by Doc Choc (who may or may not drive a DeLorean) who believes Player is the time traveling “hero” and offers to fix Player’s now broken time travel device. Your job is to help the Good Doctor (see what I did there?) find all the pieces to repair the time travel booth. Gamers from an older generation might recognize most if not all of the parts needed to repair the device. Explore Theftropolis city and find the necessary repair items, and meet a few oddly familiar characters along the way. I would say something heroic like “defeat the evil” and what-not but honestly, you’re the bad guy technically so have fun!

When I first picked up Retro City Rampage DX I was kind of thrown off by the style of gameplay it portrays. Now this might sound odd so stay with me. It’s an 8-bit “open world” action genre style game with tons of killing, side quests, and…killing. In my opinion its kind of like somebody took Grand Theft Auto and smashed it into an NES cartridge, and to be honest it’s absolutely beautiful. The handling of the characters, vehicles, and weapons is very reminiscent of older games and uses it perfectly to it’s advantage. Roaming around the city is tons of fun and there is plenty to do aside from the main story mode.

Now of course a game with this many references must draw gameplay from other games right? Yup, totally. When it comes to large action scenarios where you are against tons of enemies the gameplay is very similar to the style of Smash TV, or Binding of Isaac for you younger gamers. Although Player may be outnumbered vastly he is by no means outgunned. Players can equip Player (what’s up PLAYA!!) with a variety of weaponry from mini guns, rocket launchers, and even a guitar to take out the hoards of enemy troops. Although it may get repetitive to a certain extent I can’t say that I grew bored with the style and actually enjoyed it a lot.

The story mode is fun, and it’s honestly the best way for Players to familiarize themselves with Theftropolis. The campaign can be considered as rather lengthy, some might even say repetitive but that’s up to you to decide. Plus with the fact that players can easily get distracted roaming around the map mowing down civilians and police units, it tends to be a lengthy campaign. Not only that but there are also side quests that include doing random task for the Theftropolis citizens. Although the game may start out really easy to some players the difficulty curve goes up really fast the further along you go. Although I was trying my hardest to beat the game quickly and enjoy it, I have to admit I died well over 70 times. To be honest certain missions are infuriating and I found myself putting the game down and walking away. Some players might enjoy the difficulty and some may find it to be too much to bear. The benefit of doing side quests and story mode is that there are tons of collectibles to be earn including haircuts, outfits and even character skins. (some might even be familiar to you)

One of the details I enjoyed the most was the fact that Retro City Rampage DX doesn’t mind making a joke or two at their own expense and they shed some light on the video game industry as a whole. Players can also enter free roam mode which is honestly the best way to relieve some stress. I highly suggest stealing a car and driving down the side walk until your problems are washed away. For players that are looking for a quick pick up and play I suggest the Arcade challenges that are fast and challenging. Be careful though, the challenges tend to rather addicting. (You have been warned) I really enjoy a game that can also include some mindless fun and no objective style gameplay but still have the option to have an awesome storyline.

When I’m presented with a game like Retro City Rampage DX I usually don’t care too much when it comes to graphics or art style. Let’s be honest, its not very difficult for the average joe to make an 8-bit character and make a game out of it.
  8. May 24, 2014
    If I had to summarise Retro City Rampage in one swift sentence, I'd say that it is a loving 8-bit homage to the original Grand Theft Auto games. Now if that sounds like your cup of tea -- and let's face it, who's cup of tea isn't that? -- then you'll be in for hours of top quality run and gun, mission-based fun!

Just note that Retro City Rampage has a difficulty curve that can get a

Just note that Retro City Rampage has a difficulty curve that can get a little steep at times, and it's laced with oodles of 1980's referenced, tongue-in-cheek humour. However, if you can look past these points, which I suppose could be construed by some as caveats, then Brian Provinciano's pocket-sized love letter to the decade that brought us shoulder pads and the discman is unlikely to disappoint.

However, I can't sign-off without making two final points. Firstly, this being the 3DS version, it's a little surprising to note that it doesn't support the systems trademark stereoscopic 3D functionality. That's a shame. And secondly, despite this 'DX' edition being billed by many as the difinitive version of the game, I personally preferred it on the Playstation Vita. Why? Well for one, it looks a little nicer, but more importantly, the Vita's second analogue stick offers the twin-stick shooting capabilities of the console versions - which often proves extremely welcome - especially when you're in a pickle and outnumbered by the fuzz!
  9. Apr 22, 2018
    This game is definitely worth getting, it is way more chaotic and fast paced than most open world games but that's what makes it fun. You can easily pick up weapons and run fast and away from the police. The controls aren't the best but they are manageable. The classic graphics also make it even more fun, I also like how they added characters from other video games like super meat boy andThis game is definitely worth getting, it is way more chaotic and fast paced than most open world games but that's what makes it fun. You can easily pick up weapons and run fast and away from the police. The controls aren't the best but they are manageable. The classic graphics also make it even more fun, I also like how they added characters from other video games like super meat boy and minecraft. It wasn't expected in a game like this but it really caught my attention, definitely worth taking a look at and definitely worth it if the price is still as low as it was when I purchased it. Expand
  10. May 27, 2015
    Fun game packed with tons of content considering it's price. It plays like an 8-bit Grand Theft Auto with a plethora of 80's and 90's gaming and movie references. If you enjoy retro NES style games in an open world setting, I highly recommend this title!
  11. Aug 22, 2018
    This aptly named title is a gem. Especially for 90's kids, or those who appreciate the video games and science fantasy movies from 1985-2000. This is a nostalgia trip through and through. From the seemingly limitless retro references to how the game actually feels during game play, RCRDX is a blast from the past. Especially for fans of the original GTA or GTA2. The graphics are limited toThis aptly named title is a gem. Especially for 90's kids, or those who appreciate the video games and science fantasy movies from 1985-2000. This is a nostalgia trip through and through. From the seemingly limitless retro references to how the game actually feels during game play, RCRDX is a blast from the past. Especially for fans of the original GTA or GTA2. The graphics are limited to the 8 bit style of the original NES. However, it does not suffer from the same shortfalls, such as frame rate drop when too many sprites are on screen, as the NES or Genesis. The graphical design is both wonderfully terrible and terribly wonderful. One example is the decisively low quality of the "Player's" and NPC sprites vs. some of the grand designs on billboards, signs, or cut scenes. All purposefully and masterfully designed as such to make this title truly feel like it had an original release on the Genesis or NES.

Because of this RCRDX can also be quite frustrating. The controls, for example, suffer from similar problems as the retro games this title is meant to imitate. Also, the top-down view makes stomping on enemies difficult, which is surprisingly encouraged throughout the story and is more effective than shooting with a machine gun. Another drawback of RCRDX is its short storyline. It's long enough to feel like a complete game. But, it seems to build slowly and then suddenly climax, thus leaving you feeling unsatisfied. Even an extra 2 or 3 missions would have made a huge difference. But hey, at least it's not GTA Chinatown Wars!

All in all, this game plays very well and anyone would have a blast playing it, even if it's just in free roam mode trying to... well.... rampage the city. The game is solid enough to be fun even if you don't understand many of the references. However, it does have some symptoms of retro controls-itis which is more frustrating than a deal breaker. Therefore, an 8 out of 10 goes to Retro City Rampage DX for the Nintendo 3DS. Simply put, it's a terribly wonderful creation. Luckily, the wonders outweigh the terrors (aka: Chinatown Wars).

NOTE: it's the vast number of retro references that takes this title to a new level of joy and childish delight. Its worth playing again just for this fact. If you do, you'll find oh so many more references than before. Also note, this title feels completely at home on the 3DS. The touch screen is only used for weapons select and map display. Thanks!
  12. Jan 26, 2021
    Retro City Rampage DX is a great game, the NES aesthetic is memorable and gets the job done, but not as well as it's spiritual successor, Shakedown Hawaii. The story is alright, but the gameplay itself is where RCR DX shines, but again, not as bright as Shakedown Hawaii. If you love classic GTA titles, you'll love Retro City Rampage DX. Final verdict? 9/10

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Official Nintendo Magazine UK
    Apr 13, 2014
    It's cruelly authentic in places, but the bombastic immediacy, improved balance and reverence for the source material are a great fit for 3DS. [Apr 2014, p.90]
  2. Mar 7, 2014
    Retro City Rampage is a weak 2D version of GTA, with a lot of difficult and repetitive missions. Its pixel art is impersonal, and the story has no sense at all(which is different from nonsense). Music and controls are the best part of the game, but they aren't good enough to separate the game from mediocrity.
    While the game makes great use of the 3DS overall, the one area that is worth mentioning is that it lacks any 3D at all, which and it did surprise me, but the game still looks great and the dual screens work very well having the persistent map at the bottom.