• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Jul 16, 2013
6.3

1. Nov 19, 2014
    This is no doubt one of the very best 3DS games. The music, the visuals, the battles, and everything else are all incredibly well done. This is a game that really shows off what it's system can do and what can make or break a JRPG. My only complaint is that the story could be put together better. You won't be able to put it all together in one playthrough, you have to play through it toThis is no doubt one of the very best 3DS games. The music, the visuals, the battles, and everything else are all incredibly well done. This is a game that really shows off what it's system can do and what can make or break a JRPG. My only complaint is that the story could be put together better. You won't be able to put it all together in one playthrough, you have to play through it to get the different endings to see what all was going on during the overall plot. Expand
  2. May 15, 2015
    Shin Megami Tensei IV is a greatifull surprise like one of the best RPG of the year. Very interesting and darkness story and characters, great combat system and beautiful graphics and designs. I see this game like the most favourite of the Nintendo 3DS. First Persona 4, now SMT IV, I can say that I discover one treasure in Atlus games.
  3. Jul 4, 2015
    Multiple endings, a load of quests to do, and a very.... very lengthy campaign through a variety of locations marks this one of the biggest games to hit the 3DS... ever. I've played through the game twice, putting 75 hours or so and finishing the Chaos and Law endings. The battle system is simple yet complex, easy but hard to get good at, and the demons are just awesome. There are so manyMultiple endings, a load of quests to do, and a very.... very lengthy campaign through a variety of locations marks this one of the biggest games to hit the 3DS... ever. I've played through the game twice, putting 75 hours or so and finishing the Chaos and Law endings. The battle system is simple yet complex, easy but hard to get good at, and the demons are just awesome. There are so many demons in this game that it makes your own group very custom and unique feeling. The replay value is pretty high in this game, assuming you don't take the neutral route and finish all quests on that route. The music is superb, and the art is nice to look at - although 3D models found in Etrian Odyssey IV would have been nice. I found the characters to be wonderful (compared to what the critics say) and felt like an emotional anchor to me as the events folded later on. Buy this game.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
    Story: 8.5/10
    Music: 9.5/10
    Presentation: 9.5/10
    Length: 9/10
    Overall: 9/10
  4. Dec 31, 2015
    For the first few hours, Shin Megami Tensei IV is a slog, a total disservice to the fans it has gained since Nocturne. It's been stripped of Nocturne's 3D cutscenes and battles, and you can only help but feel as though corners have been cut elsewhere. Its modest budget is painfully obvious.

Ten hours in, you find yourself exploring a whole new world residing underground and marvel at its style, substance and populace.

Twenty hours in, you're searching for a masked killer while acting the mediator in a gang war over a land forsaken by God.

Thirty hours in, it's the best mainline MegaTen game yet, with its integration of an interface that's totally at home on 3DS, and how it crosses out everything you hated about RPGs before - the infuriatingly rigid save points for one, as SMT IV lets you save anywhere you like.

Forty hours in, it's the best handheld JRPG of all time.
  5. Mar 1, 2019
    A fantastic game. Not only the battle and fusion mechanichs are top notch, but the envoiroment and structure of the world is amazing, realsitic and cruel against the player, which makes sense in the context of the game. also the story and characters and philosophical themes are really well explored.
  6. Aug 26, 2019
    What path will you choose? A world of freedom but chaos ruled by the strong and demons? A peaceful but oppresive world of law ruled by God commands? A neutral but uncertain path trusting in humankind? None of them?

This game is absolutely not for everyone but it should be played by everyone. It's a little hard to write a review with so much things to say because Shin Megami Tensei IV not only turned into my favorite game in life but it was my initiation to one of the best videogame series I've ever played.

Being as objective as a human can be. While some aspects are improvable, they're relatively insignificant compared to the good points. Everything touches the excellence.

The plot is not only interesting and entertaining, but it's meaningful and deep, because Shin Megami Tensei games are more than only rpgs with a story to follow, they're more an introspective experience to live. Characters are there to teach you different points of view. Every decision you take it has to be thought following your own ideas, because all of them will take you to one route or another, and at the end you'll know yourself a little better. While this is a gimmick you can see in other games, the dark atmosphere and mystery of the SMT setting is unique.

Gameplay-wise SMT4 is addictive, exploring dungeons and buildings in a complete 3d world trying to get advantage of the enemies by pressing the A button is just the beginning. Turn-based battle system has its own challenging but fair rules that forces you to pay attention to every move. More than once the game will defeat you, but with a good strategy and perseverance everything will go onward. The demon fusion functionality is easy to use but it'll take a lot of your time, nonetheless it'll be absolutely worthy. Finally, all you need to do is read, think carefully your answers when they ask you for them, be smart and always gain more power. Everything is about power, and the wisdom to use it.

Graphics tops the 3DS capacities, and the music... the music rocks everytime. Because it's perfect for almost every situation and place.

If you're interested on esotericism, occultism, sci-fi, demons,post-apocalyptic settings, human nature, or simply the experience of a very unique JRPG, Shin Megami Tensei IV is for you.
  7. Jul 21, 2013
    Amazing 4th installment of the SMT series. Kinda upset to see such strange comparisons and laughable ones as well such as; "This game is the Dark Souls of Persona" or "this isn't a waifu simulator I'm disapointed." What makes this game shine is it's dark vibe, intense difficulty, old school dungeon crawling, fantastic graphics and beautiful sprites, a fantastic soundtrack, as well as anAmazing 4th installment of the SMT series. Kinda upset to see such strange comparisons and laughable ones as well such as; "This game is the Dark Souls of Persona" or "this isn't a waifu simulator I'm disapointed." What makes this game shine is it's dark vibe, intense difficulty, old school dungeon crawling, fantastic graphics and beautiful sprites, a fantastic soundtrack, as well as an engrossing surreal apocalyptic story.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who is a fan of old school JRPG's or anyone who is up for a challenge in general.

Graphics: 8/10 great spritework and excellent third person exploring. More sprite animation would be nice though.

gameplay: 10/10 old school JRPG goodness

audio: 9/10 fantastic soundtrack, and great voice acting.

lasting appeal: 10/10 seriously I see myself losing at least over a hundred hours to this game just trying to unlock everything.

Do yourself a favor and buy this game.
  8. Jul 17, 2013
    A pretty good game. Surprisingly good graphics. Was a bit worried of the fps styled battle system, but I actually find the battles rather good and wasn't as bad as I thought. The spell effects is nice and challenging enough to keep you at your toes, with these 2 strong points, the fps battles are negligible (was never a fan of fps RPG battles...I wished it was fully modeled but it's not asA pretty good game. Surprisingly good graphics. Was a bit worried of the fps styled battle system, but I actually find the battles rather good and wasn't as bad as I thought. The spell effects is nice and challenging enough to keep you at your toes, with these 2 strong points, the fps battles are negligible (was never a fan of fps RPG battles...I wished it was fully modeled but it's not as boring in this game). Interesting and dark story line. For those who pre-ordered the collector edition, you will be given a walkthrough as well. This walk through helps out immensely as it also points out enemy weaknesses. Hard to imagine how many times I will be getting wiped if not for the walkthrough. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2013
    This is one of the best 3ds games out right now. If you are looking for a great rpg then look no further than this game. I got the special edition which came with a guide and a cd which was well worth the extra Ten dollars. If you are new to the series no worries this is a new story for the series. do your self a favor and buy this one.
  10. Jul 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a big fan of Shin Megami Tensei series and I think SMT 4 is awesome .Though the dungeon map looks a little simple and crude .The demons are good as always and the control are comfortable .So I give 10 for it Expand
  11. Jul 19, 2013
    I've had this game for a couple of days when I saved I was absolutely amazed to see my playtime has already clocked in at about 11 hours. I can't remember the last time I was this absorbed in a game. The fighting system is one of the most enjoyable, in depth, and intricate I've come across in some time. It's getting knocked big time by some reviewers for the somewhat weak story. It isn'tI've had this game for a couple of days when I saved I was absolutely amazed to see my playtime has already clocked in at about 11 hours. I can't remember the last time I was this absorbed in a game. The fighting system is one of the most enjoyable, in depth, and intricate I've come across in some time. It's getting knocked big time by some reviewers for the somewhat weak story. It isn't terrible, just fairly minimalist. It's a portable game, so keep that in perspective. In any case, if I'm having this much fun playing a game, it's doing its job. Trust me, if you have a 3DS and you're up for a challenge, you want this. Expand
  12. May 26, 2015
    I honestly don't see why this game isn't rated higher, it is one of the best games I have played from Atlus. The story is interesting, and it pushes people to think about what they're doing and how they would handle such a situation and the questions they're answering. I adore this game, It brings back fond memories of Nocturne and the Digital Devil games. I adore the battle concepts (TheI honestly don't see why this game isn't rated higher, it is one of the best games I have played from Atlus. The story is interesting, and it pushes people to think about what they're doing and how they would handle such a situation and the questions they're answering. I adore this game, It brings back fond memories of Nocturne and the Digital Devil games. I adore the battle concepts (The free ability to move around, unlike in previous titles offered by Atlus for the 3DS, which ultimately hinder the overall gameplay experience). I hope that the next time they make a game for the 3DS they look at what they did for this one, I honestly regretted many of the decisions I had to make, and loved all the opportunities to talk to different people throughout the game. It also wasn't completely linear, which I came to enjoy, one got to decide on different things to do, instead of just one ultimate goal. I absolutely adored this game. Expand
  13. Feb 9, 2015
    This is without doubt one of the shining moments for the 3DS. This game is very well presented and crafted by a team who really do know what they are doing. Anyone familiar with the Persona games will be right at home here as a number of the spells and Demons are found here. SMT4 has a wonderful level of detail and presentation. I have seen a number of professional reviews state that theThis is without doubt one of the shining moments for the 3DS. This game is very well presented and crafted by a team who really do know what they are doing. Anyone familiar with the Persona games will be right at home here as a number of the spells and Demons are found here. SMT4 has a wonderful level of detail and presentation. I have seen a number of professional reviews state that the game suffers from shoddy characters and writing but I am just over 20 hours in at the time of writing this and I am loving the story and diverse mix if characters, yes some of them are the stereotypical characters you expect in this kind of RPG but that really is not a bad thing. The difficulty curve in this game is consistently steady and providing you save frequently you should have no problems, just allow a little extra "grinding" from time to time rather than heading from quest to quest. Overall, I can't fault this game. It's worth owning a 3DS for this and a couple of other titles as you will get a large amount of play time from this title. Expand
  14. BFP
    Jul 26, 2013
    Oh... my... gawd... where can I get more of this?!
    Granted, I haven't been a fan of the SMT meta-series for very long (just really discovered it in the last couple of years), but I can say that I absolutely LOVE this game. Even while it smashes me over the head with its old-school difficulty. It hates because it loves, as far as I'm concerned.
    Visuals are top-notch, both in the 2D and
    Oh... my... gawd... where can I get more of this?!

Visuals are top-notch, both in the 2D and the 3D departments; each demon has its own unique look, and the characters are distinct and vibrant. For the first time in the series there is voice acting (and quite a bit of it too!), and all of it is top-notch, as expected of Atlus if only the script weren't so bland in spots, but its mostly overcome by the emotion presented through the VA's. Finally, battles are fast-paced and frantic as hell; as mentioned, the Press Turn combat system is unforgiving, and even a small mistake or misstep can really screw you over, making this game feel -REALLY- apocalyptic.

The only complaints I can fling at SMT4 is that it doesn't get off the ground fast enough it took me about 10 hours before I finally got into the main area of the game, but I did a lot of messing around as well. Newcomers will find themselves being pummeled from the very beginning with the game's unwavering difficulty most of which seems to be a case of "Nefarious RNG Gods". Everything about the Press Turn combat system comes down to finding the opponent's weaknesses and exploiting the living out of them; the game rewards those that find the weak spots, and punishes those that lag behind. Given that there's absolutely NO defense stat in this game, you can easily get party-wiped by a bad run, or worse yet, rotten luck.

Still... the first couple of actual main story bosses are battles of attrition; if you don't know what you need to bring to each fight, you'll likely be sent home crying. Many, many times. Most likely you'll have to redo these battles multiple times before you squeak through. However, when you do break through you'll feel triumphant for a bit... right up until you realize the game is only just starting.

SMT games have never been for the faint of heart, but the fourth entry in the flagship namesake series is all but a meatgrinder if you go in expecting a cakewalk and free drinks at the beginning. Simply put, there is no hand-holding; its an adventure for those that crave a real challenge. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying.
  15. Jul 18, 2013
    this is by no means an easy game. you will die often in the beginning till you can recruit a team of at least 3 demons. those that can get pass that part are in for a treat as this game had production value written all over it. demons look great and the story thus far is interesting to say the least. if you are new to jrpgs you might want to stay clear of this one as the learning curvethis is by no means an easy game. you will die often in the beginning till you can recruit a team of at least 3 demons. those that can get pass that part are in for a treat as this game had production value written all over it. demons look great and the story thus far is interesting to say the least. if you are new to jrpgs you might want to stay clear of this one as the learning curve is pretty high however the game does do a great jop of explaining everything. Expand
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    The best RPG on the 3DS to date. When I beat the game, I clocked in at about 70 hours. That whole time I was impressed by the smooth battle system and pretty consistent challenge that the game offered.
    Yes, the characters were rather flat throughout, but the world built around them was deep and layered and I caught myself feeling real emotion in the story. Most games I play nowadays can't even make me laugh.
    Great game, definite buy. If you want a heavily-packed experience then you've come to the right place.
  17. Aug 15, 2017
    Shin Megami Tensei 4 was my first introduction to the Megami Tensei world and boy what a ride it was. this is a JRPG through and through and is at its core a dungeon crawler although its presentation has a much grander location than just a bunch of dungeons, I was really able to get a feeling of traveling on a pretty monumental adventure although my biggest complaint for the game is theShin Megami Tensei 4 was my first introduction to the Megami Tensei world and boy what a ride it was. this is a JRPG through and through and is at its core a dungeon crawler although its presentation has a much grander location than just a bunch of dungeons, I was really able to get a feeling of traveling on a pretty monumental adventure although my biggest complaint for the game is the over-world map and navigating did get a bit confusing.
    I would have been tempted to give this a perfect 10/10, the soundtrack is outstanding, the turn-based combat very satisfying and the demon fusion has depth and I easily got hooked on fusing and leveling. SMT4 was one of the only games that when I finished it(Chaos) I started another playthrough straight away and once I had done the Law path I started another playthrough to get Neutral, the way the story unfolds was really well done and while some people criticize the supporting cast as being nothing more than placeholders for their relevant alignments, I felt the voice acting was great and the characters all come together to create a deep story that had me thinking about it well after I had finished playing. I hope to finish my neutral run soon but Im sure I will then have to do the Whites ending. I cant recommend this game enough it is easily one of the best games on the 3ds and one of the best RPG's period!
  18. Jul 21, 2013
    At first, looking at videos and coverage from various websites, I was a little put off by the demon animations being that they look almost like gifs, but oh boy how wrong was I when I started playing it and in 3D. The backgrounds are totally tri dimensional, the world is perfectly designed, and it has this grim, dark vibe attached to it. The music is incredible, it gives this almost horrorAt first, looking at videos and coverage from various websites, I was a little put off by the demon animations being that they look almost like gifs, but oh boy how wrong was I when I started playing it and in 3D. The backgrounds are totally tri dimensional, the world is perfectly designed, and it has this grim, dark vibe attached to it. The music is incredible, it gives this almost horror like feeling with a retro touch to it (if you played previous old school SMT, you'll know what I mean). It also houses more than 400 demons, 400!! Which upscales the replayability of the title by a lot, not to mention the 4 endings, cheap priced DLC and almost 40-50 hours of gameplay already included. It is a must have for RPG fans, especially Megaten fans. I really can't stop playing it, go buy it NOW. Expand
  19. Nov 9, 2013
    As usual, MegaTen delivers on its promise of unrelenting demon collection and RPG action. This game isn't for everyone. Whiny people who can't handle a challenge will almost certainly shrivel away and go back to their Grand Theft Auto and CoD almost immediately, but then again, this game wasn't made for them (This comment is directed towards ragingmerifes, whose gaming profiles areAs usual, MegaTen delivers on its promise of unrelenting demon collection and RPG action. This game isn't for everyone. Whiny people who can't handle a challenge will almost certainly shrivel away and go back to their Grand Theft Auto and CoD almost immediately, but then again, this game wasn't made for them (This comment is directed towards ragingmerifes, whose gaming profiles are pathetic and opinions should not be taken seriously. A zero? What a moron). The 3DS has a lot of great role-playing games, and this one easily stands among the best of them. However, a certain degree of patience is required to progress. Rush into a new area and you could find yourself getting hosed in seconds flat. So, the learning curve is steep, but don't be scared. The graphics are great by handheld standards, the story is interesting, if a bit convoluted, and fusing demons is satisfying. Play this game. Expand
  20. Apr 12, 2015
    This was my first SMT, and i loved it. The plot is just amazing, with a deep philosophical background. This game made me see the world on another angle, it made me notice how we live in a dark world.
    Pros:
    *Incredibly deep plot, most amazing game i ever played *Good atmosphere *Boss battles are amazing *Good gameplay Cons: *After the first 10 hours it gets a bit boring *you'll find
    Pros:
    *Incredibly deep plot, most amazing game i ever played
    *Good atmosphere
    *Boss battles are amazing
    *Good gameplay
    Cons:
    *After the first 10 hours it gets a bit boring
    *you'll find yourself lost SO MANY **** TIMES
    *sometimes you need to explore large areas, and you'll need to suffer with thousands of demons chasing you
  21. Jul 24, 2013
    SMT IV being my first entry into the MegaTen series (spinoffs included), I only expected a few superficial concepts: demon collecting, dark atmosphere, and teenage/young adult main characters. I hope this review can make others who are newcomers to the series think carefully about playing this game.I am about 20 hours into the game, and I feel like I have seen enough of it to write thisSMT IV being my first entry into the MegaTen series (spinoffs included), I only expected a few superficial concepts: demon collecting, dark atmosphere, and teenage/young adult main characters. I hope this review can make others who are newcomers to the series think carefully about playing this game.I am about 20 hours into the game, and I feel like I have seen enough of it to write this review. For those who are accustomed to this series, please be gentle as I am not an expert and am ignorant of many features.

Gameplay:
    The gameplay is turn-based, but has a lot of depth which lends itself to the variety of strategies which one can utilize in any given battle. Each demon has its own elemental affinities and ailment affinities, as well as the ability to learn nearly any type of skill through demon fusion. Such skills can be "whispered" (more on that later) to your main character, giving him a great assortment to complement your demons. It also allows you to mix things up on the fly if you're having trouble against a boss. Smirks add a lot to the combat and can occur via critical hits (via the luck stat or using a skill which is super effective). As far as I know, these increase the damage next turn for that character and defend him/her from damage if the enemy attacks. You have four characters which comprise your "Party": the main character (you), and three demons of your choosing. You also have a "Stock" with which you can swap out members of your party. You can upgrade your Stock to increase the number of demons you can carry, but I am unsure of the limits. I have currently upgraded to 13 slots in my stock. The demons in your stock earn EXP, but at a slower rate than your party members. This is just one reason why demon fusion (discussed in features) is so critical. The main character can use items, varying from basic healing items to items which mimic full-blown attacks, which helps characters lacking in elemental attacks. Your demons are not capable of such a feat unless they learn a skill which allows them to use items. You can "pass" your turn to the next character in your party. This is useful for many reasons, the most basic being to avoid using an ineffective attack.

When all is said and done, the most critical point of gameplay is perhaps conversing with demons. This allows you to bring them onto your team as allies. Sometimes they will steal your life, items, or MP, and won't even join your side. Other times, they will immediately join you after you have slayed their companions. You can even ask them for Macca (in-game currency) and earn additional XP for successful conversations.

Finally, this is a game of exploration. Exploration occurs in third-person and you will often encounter demons who will immediately charge upon your approach. You can avoid these encounters with swift maneuvers, but often times the XP is more than worth the trouble avoiding them. You loot treasure chests and unlock new areas through exploration.

Features (Menu-Based):
    1) Skill Whispering:
    This feature has been one of the most useful I've seen from any RPG: the ability to copy attacks from your demons. As previously mentioned, this gives the main character a wide array of skills to choose from and suits your needs for any situation. Each demon has a specific level at which they can whisper skills to you. Once you have learned the skill, other demons can whisper the same skill again to increase its potency and decrease its cost to use.
    2) Cathedral of Shadows
    One of my favorite features of the game. With it, you can do one of two things: demon fusion, or use the compendium. Demon fusion consists of choosing two or more demons and combining them to create another. Simple, right? Well, it's made simpler with the recommended fusions, but it is very in depth. Upon fusion, the parents provide skills to pass down to the product. This allows a huge amount of variety in the skillsets of the demon you're producing. Because you can keep fusing demons over and over again, you can get the exact skills you want on any given demon. The demon compendium allows you to acquire the demons you've aligned yourself with, something which I have used a few times after fusion to get back the parent demons.
    3) Character Customization
    Like other RPGs, you can outfit your main character with gear possessing elemental affinities and special properties. You can also specify which stats you want to specialize in after leveling up.
    4) Apps
    Apps are paid for by leveling up your character to earn App Points. You can spend these on passive buffs. Some of these include increasing your stock capacity, the ability to ask for Macca from demons, and increasing the stat points a demon earns upon leveling up. There are a TON of apps.

I have never been so enthralled by a RPG. I've played my fair share, but this is the first where the gameplay truly grabs me. It is a deep and rewarding game, with beautiful presentation and a wealth of variety in strategy.
  22. Oct 14, 2013
    If you can see past the inherent hardcore RPG tendencies, generally linear story, and glaring plot holes that start building only an hour or two in, this is a great game and one of the best on the 3DS.

Pros: great graphical presentation in character and environmental art. Memorable soundtrack (very reminiscent of 90's sci-fi PC games). Voice acting (for the most part most minor characters are laughable, such as the guy who charges you Macca to cross a bridge, and a young woman who is clearly voiced by a man). Hardcore gameplay, and the familiar SMT battle formula exploit the enemy's weakness, and don't get exploited yourself.

Cons: navigation becomes a nightmare if you aren't intimately familiar with Tokyo. Most quests are breadcrumb-type quests that lack the breadcrumbs you're told to go somewhere, and rarely given any indication on how to get there. Some may find the old school battle presentation lacking, while others will find it charming (very similar to Devil Survivor; your party of demons is not visually represented on-screen, while enemies and attacks are lightly-animated sprites.) Finally (without giving too much away,) your party is thrust hundreds of years into the future, from a medieval kingdom into a post-apocalyptic Tokyo. Your party is hardly amazed, let alone confused at their surroundings and all of this new technology. It's something that bugged me for my entire time spent with this game; for example, they'll be intrigued by "strange food" served at Tokyo's various taverns, but have no problem operating elevators and watching surveillance videos on an HDTV monitor.
  23. Jul 25, 2013
    The story is sufficiently enthrilling to keep you engaged and the mix of both monster recruiting and quest system makes the game to feel like an evil, more mature "Pocket Monster Hunter" game.

The gameplay also winks on these two great franchises (Pokémon and MonHun), like scavenging for delivery items and finding which type of attack is super effective (and which is weak) against which demon, still the push turn system is (as long as I know) an inheritance from previous "New Goddess Reborn" games.

The difficult level is rather high. Kinda reminded me of Dragon Quest 1 (Dragon Warrior in America) even demons 10 levels down from you can get you in some trouble if you're not careful.

Overall, a great RPG and a must for fans of the genre.
  24. Dec 13, 2013
    This is one of the most engaging game I ever played. The game's plot is also greatly developed. I find myself confused on who to align with as I loved all the characters. But the area where this game shines the most is the demon collecting and fusion. Great game and for someone who hasn't played any Shin Megami Tensei game before, this game is totally a great game for the newbies as anThis is one of the most engaging game I ever played. The game's plot is also greatly developed. I find myself confused on who to align with as I loved all the characters. But the area where this game shines the most is the demon collecting and fusion. Great game and for someone who hasn't played any Shin Megami Tensei game before, this game is totally a great game for the newbies as an introductory game. The difficulty may overwhelm you but that's just a classic trademark of SMT games. Expand
  25. Nov 16, 2018
    El mejor juego de 3ds de lejos, de verdad, tanto la historia, como la ambientación, como los personajes y sobre todo el gameplay, todo el mundo debería de jugar a SMT
  26. Oct 21, 2013
    Once again another great Jrpg on Nintendo's AWESOME handheld. I just got done giving a great review to Pokemon X, but I decided to give Shin Megami Tensei IV also a my review. in a few short words all I can say is this game is also another winner in my book. I've been a huge SMT fan for awhile now, but so far I haven't seen many great jrpg's until this and just a few other titles. AtlusOnce again another great Jrpg on Nintendo's AWESOME handheld. I just got done giving a great review to Pokemon X, but I decided to give Shin Megami Tensei IV also a my review. in a few short words all I can say is this game is also another winner in my book. I've been a huge SMT fan for awhile now, but so far I haven't seen many great jrpg's until this and just a few other titles. Atlus Rocks it out again with a Stellar title. Expand
  27. Sep 4, 2013
    Shin Megami Tensei games don't know how to be bad games to the people who are loyal to the franchise and genre. They are gods among games. This one was no exception. The game has that unique japanese manga fiction storyline and story telling that fans of JRPG's flock to and the pokemon meets final fantasy gameplay that everyone else devour. The graphics were great and the 3D really bringsShin Megami Tensei games don't know how to be bad games to the people who are loyal to the franchise and genre. They are gods among games. This one was no exception. The game has that unique japanese manga fiction storyline and story telling that fans of JRPG's flock to and the pokemon meets final fantasy gameplay that everyone else devour. The graphics were great and the 3D really brings it to life. One of the best things I found was how accessible this title is to gamers new to shin megami games. It not only comes with a paraphrased guide book, it manages to walk you through the game and its mechanics while not holding your hand the whole time and giving you the toddler treatment. They even added a lower difficulty option which is normally damned. I think its a great option for those who see the genre and want to get into it nice and easy. Expand
  28. Jul 27, 2013
    I can't even being to explain how much I love this game! I bought the 3DS XL just for this game (also got Fire Emblem which I haven't even started yet). Even though I consider the 3DS a pile of dung (OMG the battery life is stupid bad); regardless, it was worth every dime just to play this game! If you like Nocturne or any of the SMT games...then this is a must have. Can't stop playing.I can't even being to explain how much I love this game! I bought the 3DS XL just for this game (also got Fire Emblem which I haven't even started yet). Even though I consider the 3DS a pile of dung (OMG the battery life is stupid bad); regardless, it was worth every dime just to play this game! If you like Nocturne or any of the SMT games...then this is a must have. Can't stop playing.

Warning: it is very difficult at first, but gets way easier when you get going...don't give up.
  29. Aug 16, 2013
    The value in this game is impressive. If you like RPG games, your 3ds, and thought Fire Emblem was good (compared to this it's boring) you should go buy this.
  30. Jul 30, 2013
    Shin Megami Tesnei IV is a deep game held back by its flat characters and a story that isn't all that great. Where SMT really stands out is in it gameplay and setting; The demon fusing is as deep as ever. It's a very addicting game where it does have its tedious moments and isn't nearly as hard as some people make it out to be. While the story isn't all that great I found myself enjoyingShin Megami Tesnei IV is a deep game held back by its flat characters and a story that isn't all that great. Where SMT really stands out is in it gameplay and setting; The demon fusing is as deep as ever. It's a very addicting game where it does have its tedious moments and isn't nearly as hard as some people make it out to be. While the story isn't all that great I found myself enjoying it nevertheless, there's a couple plot twists that really make up for the lack of narrative. It's a deep game, that I found myself asking "Is this really on a handheld?" on a consistent basis. It's a must for any JRPG fan. Expand
  31. Jul 30, 2013
    I have played this game for nearly 50 hours. The game is somewhat repetitive and there are some annoying parts of the game, like the way enemies rush at you while you are trying to read a map that is not available in a paused state. This is my favorite game available on the 3DS platform at this time. This is a huge upgrade over Strange Journey, and (from what I have been told) there areI have played this game for nearly 50 hours. The game is somewhat repetitive and there are some annoying parts of the game, like the way enemies rush at you while you are trying to read a map that is not available in a paused state. This is my favorite game available on the 3DS platform at this time. This is a huge upgrade over Strange Journey, and (from what I have been told) there are significant refinements since Nocturne that have stream-lined gameplay for the better. All I know is that this game is super-addictive. I did not finish Strange Journey (or any other SMT game), but I am looking forward to completing this and probably more than once for the multiple endings. Behold, my demons! Expand
  32. Aug 6, 2013
    cant say anything bad about a game this good! I absolutely loved it! loved it! it was fun and engrossing. i still cant put my stylus down without thinking- hm i hope Charon isn't going to overcharge me again! haha.
  33. Aug 7, 2013
    Worth every money I spent in this game, its very addictive, long time game play, and whats important its replayable. I got the limited edition and the book very good. This a must have game for every RPG lover.
  34. Sep 1, 2015
    Its a good game baseline SMT games have never been about the story but about philosophy. Each character is based on a philosophy which is why they never really change. Some choices are hard to make some things are not as the appear play the damn game. My only gripe is the characters do not react to certain things when its opposes his or hers alignment, Can't really get into to much detailIts a good game baseline SMT games have never been about the story but about philosophy. Each character is based on a philosophy which is why they never really change. Some choices are hard to make some things are not as the appear play the damn game. My only gripe is the characters do not react to certain things when its opposes his or hers alignment, Can't really get into to much detail without spoiling. . Expand
  35. Mar 8, 2019
    The game is awesome. A starter tip, get your agility up so you can out run those damn blue digi-demons.
  36. Feb 5, 2016
    Games like this really aren't for everybody, but if you are into this kind of thing, you'll most likely love it - I know I do!

Basically, you capture/breed demons and enter into various dungeons to, well, pretty much kill things. Yes, there's a story - and I was suprised at its depth and how well it's written - but the real appeal comes in training and capturing/creating more and more

Yes, there's a story - and I was suprised at its depth and how well it's written - but the real appeal comes in training and capturing/creating more and more powerful demons - it's kind of like a "dark" version of Pokemon. Fantastic.
  37. Mar 8, 2018
    This is a very nice Shin Megami Tensei Game!! It has a good story, quite good characters, and its JRPG mechanics are great, the battle system is amazing. You have to focus on attacking the enemy's weaknesses, because they inflict much more damage and give you extra turns. Battles tend to be very fast-paced, you do a lot of damage to enemies, but enemies do a lot of damage to you as well,This is a very nice Shin Megami Tensei Game!! It has a good story, quite good characters, and its JRPG mechanics are great, the battle system is amazing. You have to focus on attacking the enemy's weaknesses, because they inflict much more damage and give you extra turns. Battles tend to be very fast-paced, you do a lot of damage to enemies, but enemies do a lot of damage to you as well, so be prepared. It is in fact a very challenging game, the beginning of the game is one of the hardest beginnings I have ever experienced in a JRPG, you die, and you die a lot!!

As for demons, you form a team consisting of quite a few of them, but fight only with 4. You acquire them by recruiting them in normal battles, and by fusing. Fusing is extremely important in this game, do not get too attached to a demon, this is not Pokémon! You have to fuse your demons a lot to constantly get stronger demons and access to new abilities. I personally enjoy the fusion mechanic, I spend a lot of time seeing what demons I can create and what abilities can help my team more. The variety of demons in the game is very nice, you have a lot of freedom and options throughout the whole game.

As for maps and puzzles in the game are nice, although as the game progresses and the world becomes bigger and bigger it's extremely easy to get lost or to not know where is the place you need to go next. I've needed a walkthrough a couple of times to keep progressing.

All in all, an extremely good game, it can be frustrating at times and maps aren't the best, but it is a gem and a extremely enjoyable JRPG. I know the beginning of the game is tough, but give it time and learn how to deal with the mechanics, you'll have a great experience!
  38. Dec 12, 2019
    I love this game, and i know, i know megaten fans hate it because the story is not amazing, i know nocturne has a better story; but this is not nocturne, this is its own thing, and people don't give it credit for a lot of things they do so right, like the amount of secondary missions, and most of them are really good or entertaining or at least interesting, i can remember some sidequestsI love this game, and i know, i know megaten fans hate it because the story is not amazing, i know nocturne has a better story; but this is not nocturne, this is its own thing, and people don't give it credit for a lot of things they do so right, like the amount of secondary missions, and most of them are really good or entertaining or at least interesting, i can remember some sidequests more than the base story, which, is not bad, is not amazing, is good.
    I would give it a 9 if it didnt had important story parts on like 10 dlcs.
    The music is great, the battle mechanics are the bests of the series and the death functionality using game coins is brilliant, just brilliant.
  39. Oct 18, 2018
    This is from my review on /r/JRPG on reddit >> Well, i've finally finished this game after it being in my backlog of "to-complete" and I must say i'm extremely pleased with this game and i'm glad I reached the end, it was the Law ending and I may plan to go for the other endings and do New Game+ in the future as I heard it has some extra quests and story. Let me divulge in the detailsThis is from my review on /r/JRPG on reddit >> Well, i've finally finished this game after it being in my backlog of "to-complete" and I must say i'm extremely pleased with this game and i'm glad I reached the end, it was the Law ending and I may plan to go for the other endings and do New Game+ in the future as I heard it has some extra quests and story. Let me divulge in the details about this wonderful game.

First things first learning curve, this game has a steep-ish learning curve just like with all the SMT games so be prepared for a lot of unnecessary deaths, raging and the most random of random RNG that make these games the ones we know and love. I have no shame in admitting I died a lot in this game, after a while I would save every 20-25 minutes when I realised you could save anywhere. I would say the game gets progressively easier when you have buffed up Demons and skills.

Which brings me on to Gameplay. If you're familiar with SMT games then this game should feel familiar however it does have its fair few differences. You essentially have the main protagonist - Flynn, who has his own set of skills and equipments he can use physical attacks/gun attacks or the skills/magic that have been learned from demons can be transferred to him. You also have demons in your party which you must recruit from random battles. I'm not the biggest fan of the "Negotiation" system where you have to bargain with items, Macca (money), HP/MP and sometimes other demons lives in order for them to become your ally. Demons will ask you a bunch of questions usually nonsense, and if you give the favoured answers they will join you, if not, be prepared for hell. Especially in the beginning of the game where you're weak, i've been party wiped several times after failing negotiations as my demon had a weakness to the enemy's attacks. Battles are usually simple, find weakness > kill. The problem lies in finding that weakness before getting stomped. You can fuse demons together to make a more powerful demon.

Music, I personally loved the music in this game and i'm not very easy to please in this regard. I loved the boss theme and certain other tracks like buying items and the Hunter's Association theme. Ryota Kozuka did an excellent job, the music had a kind of darkness attached to it. Which obviously suits the game very well. I do however wish they added different tracks for other parts of the overworld, considering how big it is.

Story, in the beginning you are tasked with being a Samurai in the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado who must do certain tasks for the Abbey (kind of a religious/cult feeling) then you branch off in to Naraku for a while. The Abbey then requires you to go out and explore the world of Tokyo which is a vast and more interesting land than Mikado. The story is the type in which it gets progressively better and more interesting as time goes on, in the beginning everything felt slow and going through the motions until you reach Tokyo. This game has many twists and plot choices, again if you're familiar with SMT games this should be of no surprise to you. You can take a Lawful, Neutral or Chaotic path all of which will take you to different places and fight different bosses, I choose Lawful because i'm boring like that ;P

Overall the game gets a 8.5/10 from me, this was my first SMT game in a long time (since P4 actually) and I really enjoyed it and I liked how the series has evolved. Now I realise this game is bloody old and that SMT IV: Apocalypse is available which I will definitely be checking it in the near future, but I really enjoyed this game in its entirety and wished to speak about it. The things that bugged me the most were the Tokyo world map which was kind of strange, you go in to a 2D world I wish it was more expansive imo. Some bosses were just too irrelevant to the story, as if they were just placed in to the story as a filler, kind of annoying, though I HIGHLY recommend this game to anyone.
  40. Feb 8, 2019
    A game with a great dividing story line, dark atmosphere, and great character development with positive and negative character arcs for some of the important characters in the game. If you are someone who loves a good story but have also been looking for something original and dark you should definitely throw some money to buying this game. Along with the points I made the game also has aA game with a great dividing story line, dark atmosphere, and great character development with positive and negative character arcs for some of the important characters in the game. If you are someone who loves a good story but have also been looking for something original and dark you should definitely throw some money to buying this game. Along with the points I made the game also has a great soundtrack, voice acting, multiple dialogue scenes, and character customization in the way of armor and weapons. Expand
  41. Dec 26, 2019
    SMT IV its a masterpiece of the 3DS, its a magnificent JRPG with an great atmosphere, great plot, characters and world building. Its a shame that the end of the game kinda slows down the entire plot, and that made me kinda upset.
    The gameplay its great, the demon fusion program kinda sucks tho. But, all other aspects of the apps, Burroughs and other new mechanics works pretty fine.
    If
    If you are looking for a JRPG with tons of content and hundreds of hours to have at your 3DS, give SMT IV a shot!
  42. Nov 20, 2019
    This is a great game even for people who have never experienced this kind of jrpg game.
  43. Feb 13, 2020
    Really fun game that is unforgiving in almost every way, no hand holding which makes the games experience even better and accomplishing. Great story and characters that keep you wanting more.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 48 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 23, 2015
    The combat system, character development and demons are a great evolution from previous games, but graphics needs some improvement.
  2. Jan 8, 2015
    An incredibly in-depth RPG that should result in no two players having a similar run-through. [Issue#156, p.122]
  3. Jan 4, 2015
    It keeps some of the best aspects of the series, while adding new and always welcome content. The game's pace keeps the player interested non-stop and its overall quality redeems Shin Megami Tensei IV from the late European release.