6.5

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Dec 8, 2016
    At it's core, the game is pretty much the same as the Wii U version, though without the Mystery Mushrooms, and everything runs and performs very well. The included courses with set challenges are pretty fun too.

BUT and this is a big BUT Being unable to share courses online, AND being unable to search for courses manually is a major deal breaker. Super Mario Maker is on of my

BUT and this is a big BUT

Super Mario Maker is on of my favourite Wii U games, but without the ability to share courses, creating courses feels pointless.

Hopefully Nintendo will see the error of their ways and patch this.
  2. Jan 31, 2017
    Despite the initial backlash of Mario Maker on the 3DS, I was willing to give the game a shot. I own a WiiU and can say that Mario Maker is one of the best games on the system, a surprise hit that got me to put hundreds of hours onto my WiiU when seemingly nothing else could.

But this isn't Mario Maker for WiiU, and Mario Maker for 3DS hardly feels like Mario Maker at all. At this point, everyone knows that there is no online level support, meaning that the only way to transfer levels if through SpotPass. Not a horrible idea in theory (If you live in Japan), however the idea of finding another person that you can share levels with isn't easy when you hardly even know anybody else that bought the game, let alone strangers that you actually pass by.

I just don't get why they would even bother with this port if they didn't bother to put the feature that made it successful in the first place. If you have a modded 3DS, it is possible to import levels onto your system from the WiiU version or someone else's 3DS, however this isn't ideal in the slightest. (Additionally, I can't contribute this towards the score of the game, since it isn't part of the game itself.)

Anyway, just don't bother with this game. If you're that desperate to play Mario on the 3DS, get New Super Mario Bros. 2. It's not a great game, however it's leagues above this trash.
  3. Dec 14, 2016
    You can't play other peoples maps, you need to make your own. Dick filtering is more important to nintendo than good games. If it had online functions I would give it a 9/10, as it is I got bored in under 10 minutes; why make maps if no one can play them and playing your own maps is pointless.
  4. Dec 12, 2016
    Super Mario Maker for the Wii U is an amazing title. If you have that console, I highly suggest picking up that version of the title. It's great fun. On the 3DS, they've created a wonderful environment to create and share levels with all of your friends. The problem is that they've completely hamstrung the ability to share the levels with your friends. For me, this is the equivalent ofSuper Mario Maker for the Wii U is an amazing title. If you have that console, I highly suggest picking up that version of the title. It's great fun. On the 3DS, they've created a wonderful environment to create and share levels with all of your friends. The problem is that they've completely hamstrung the ability to share the levels with your friends. For me, this is the equivalent of releasing a version of the 3DS that doesn't have buttons or a touch screen. It can start up all of your favorite games, but you can't play any of them. If I could, I'd give this game a 0/10. I've been emailing back and forth with Nintendo since a few hours after buying the title, because I feel like I was cheated out of $40.

Buyer be warned. Unless you have the ability to visit great level makers in person, this game is completely toothless.
  5. Dec 3, 2016
    This port is just awful. I mean, yeah, it works and you can make levels, but you can't share them online, like in the Wii U version, and the only way you can play other levels from the internet is if you get a random pool of levels from Reccomended levels and 100 Mario Challenge. You're essentially paying $40 dollars for a very skimmed down version of the game.

Of course, you can share

Of course, you can share levels via street pass... too bad I've passe a whole bunch of people and didn't get one level. Shame on you Nintendo! I didn't really expect to have the whole Wii u game on the handheld, but at least I expected some worth while exclusives and online sharing, but instead what I got wouldn't even pass for being a lite version, there's not even Amiibo support in here.

I feel very cheated out of 40 dollars right now, considering I got an incomplete game.
  6. Feb 16, 2017
    So Super Mario maker for Nintendo 3ds is coming today at midnight or Friday morning, whatever. But at this point in time people already have review copy's and they are not happy. IGN rates they game a 7.2/10 but that’s not what I think the game should get, here’s why.

So even though I am getting the game because I’m a Nintendo fanboy, I still have complaints, as you may know, Super Mario Maker 3DS does not have an online level search …. Nintendo , why? That is the biggest load of crap because the Wii U version does have level search! But that’s not all, you can’t upload your levels online for the world to play! That is the worst thing removed ever! The hole point of the game is to make a masterpiece and share it with the world! Just that, killed off TONS of sales just because of that! I really hate that and that’s why I would rate it a measly 5.5/10! Now, unless they add these missing features in a new update, that 5.5 will always stay that way!
  7. Feb 5, 2017
    No point making your own maps as you can't share them with anyone. Instead of online you can share through streetpass but seriously who ever uses that? Also you don't have access to all the tools you have to complete a campaign mode but some of the levels are so insanely difficult it becomes a frustrating grind. Wish I hadn't bought this garbage
  8. Nov 3, 2017
    Bad game . The game is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. Ok but for real dont get this game
  9. Aug 19, 2020
    Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Super Cool game
  10. Jul 20, 2022
    This game confuses me. Why does this exist? No online level sharing, which is the main part of the game. It's a Mario Maker with no point to making. Also no amiibo support which was a huge letdown.
  11. Aug 6, 2018
    The 3ds version of Mario Maker is way worse than the Wii U version. Here's why :
    1) You can only share the levels you create by streetpassing and absolutely not online. That doesn't make any sense ! That's the main purpose of the game.
    2) You cannot search for a particular level with codes or anything. You can just play random 100 man challenge and the developper stages. 3) There are no
    3) There are no custom mushrooms anymore. It's a detail, but dude that was cool.
    4) You changed your old 3ds or for whatever reason you want to play on a other console ? Well too bad ! You have to reset ALL your data in order to do this.
    5) You like a creator ? Well then, you cannot view his profile. Just go play random 100 men.
    6) You don't have access to the event courses.
    7) More updates ! That take even more data on your SD card and serv absolutely no purpose.
    Basically, if you have a 10 years old child, you can buy him/her this game. (S)he surely wil be happy like that. But if you want to play by yourself, even if you don't play videogames that much, just prefer the Wii U version. 100 times.
  12. Jul 14, 2019
    It's just like the Wii U version, minus all the online content. It's not fun without the online levels, I already knew when I purchased the game that i could only play Wii U levels, I was fine with that.
    But then I saw I could only play selected levels, I immediately returned the game to my retailer.
  13. Sep 24, 2019
    Ich begreife es bis heute nicht warum sie unbedingt ein Port wollten. Einfaf unnötig
  14. Nov 17, 2022
    While the game works, this port was a massive disappointment. Stripped all of the charm and character like the amiibo costumes and the online uploading. This port is just pointless and unnecessary. You want to play Mario Maker wherever? Just bring your Wii U and your Gamepad, plug it into a wall and play it that way. That or play the sequel.
  15. Nov 23, 2022
    Mario maker = 4/10
    ............................................................

Mixed or average reviews - based on 56 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 8, 2017
    The addition of the tutorials to the maker modes, the addition of the Super Mario Challenge and retention of the all great single player content and the ability to still download courses means this game is less Super Mario Maker and more Super Mario Fan Edition. It's hard to recommend this one, especially when the Wii U version is far superior and feels more alive, the Super Mario Challenge is interesting but it still feels incomplete.
  2. Feb 7, 2017
    The final package then is mixed, but the bottom line has to be that Super Mario Maker is still an insanely fun game. It’s one of the best 2D Mario experiences out there and plays great on 3DS. It’s not as complete as we might have liked, but it’s certainly not bad.
  3. Jan 30, 2017
    The game acts like a quick Super Mario campaign with an accompanying endless collection of levels — and endless Super Mario levels is never a bad thing. Despite a fantastic new delivery system found in Super Mario Challenge, too may of the downgrades strip the components of Super Mario Maker that made it a breakaway success on Wii U.