• Publisher: Atlus
  • Release Date: Oct 13, 2015
7.1

1. Dec 30, 2015
    I love this game, it has old-school appeal, reminiscent of my NES days, playing games like the original Final Fantasy. I say that because the game opens with very little introduction, you pick a character, briefly meet with the king and then you're free to explore. There's no fluff, no convoluted tutorials or contrived plot twists. You just explore and fight monsters. If that doesn'tI love this game, it has old-school appeal, reminiscent of my NES days, playing games like the original Final Fantasy. I say that because the game opens with very little introduction, you pick a character, briefly meet with the king and then you're free to explore. There's no fluff, no convoluted tutorials or contrived plot twists. You just explore and fight monsters. If that doesn't excite you, then look elsewhere. As for myself, it's just what I wanted, not every game needs a long winded story anyways.

This is also where the similarities to Final Fantasy end, as the game plays quite differently and features it's own unique qualities and charm. The graphical style is very pleasing with scenery popping up everywhere you turn, the music is serene and fits the atmosphere well. The combat is mostly basic but I really like how the elemental contracts work. In order to use magic you need to have a contract with that element and same goes for the enemies. The catch is you and the enemy cannot forge separate contracts, so sometimes there is a tug-of-war going on during battles for who can and can't use certain magic.

I also love the simplicity of it all, you choose an area to explore, fill out it's map, choose another area and repeat. This makes the game very accessible in my opinion. If I put this game down and come back later in a few months, I won't feel lost, I can just jump into any area I haven't completed yet and get right back into the action. You can also revisit any area as often as you like too.

I don't play too many RPGs because I feel many of them are over bearing but I like the casual appeal this has, I can pick up and play through it leisurely without worrying about losing my place. That doesn't mean the game is easy, it is not easy, but it's a great game to travel with, grind a few minutes on the go with no pressure. Fans of the genre may think very differently of course but I'm 30 hours in and having a great time.
  2. Oct 31, 2015
    While the combat can become interesting at higher levels, this game is plagued by many issues. Notably, it achieves its high difficulty rating by making the battles horribly unbalanced in favour of enemy MOBs. The story is utterly lacking, which in turn makes the characters bland. The leveling system is poor - it takes hours to bring your active party to a decent level, and since otherWhile the combat can become interesting at higher levels, this game is plagued by many issues. Notably, it achieves its high difficulty rating by making the battles horribly unbalanced in favour of enemy MOBs. The story is utterly lacking, which in turn makes the characters bland. The leveling system is poor - it takes hours to bring your active party to a decent level, and since other characters you recruit do not level unless they are active, this basically locks you into either the same three characters for the entire game, or hours of additional grinding. Overall, this is a playable, but mediocre game. If you like grindfest dungeon crawlers, give it a shot. If not, there are dozens of better JRPGs out there to try. Expand
  3. Oct 22, 2015
    At first glance, the art style looks like it's trying to be Bravely Default, and the critics' reviews make it sound like a shallow grind fest. Do not be fooled! If you are an RPG veteran that is looking for a truly unique battle system and you're tired of the same old 'boy from small village is the world's only hope' cliché, then this game was made for you.
    Legacy will not hold your hand
    Legacy will not hold your hand because it wants to be discovered. Pick your favorite character and uncover the game's secrets along with them. Approach this game with an open mind and you will be rewarded with a deep and satisfying experience that will show up on all of the "Top 10 Underrated Games" lists of the major outlets that are currently letting it pass them by.
  4. Oct 14, 2015
    A very nice, niche game - with an exceptional soundtrack - that will sadly be misunderstood by the many people who buy it expecting Bravely Default. This game is not to be taken lightly as both its exploration and combat will repeatedly kick you in the teeth. It is very easy to miss key items and mini bosses will sneak up on you and kill your entire party in one hit. The story of the gameA very nice, niche game - with an exceptional soundtrack - that will sadly be misunderstood by the many people who buy it expecting Bravely Default. This game is not to be taken lightly as both its exploration and combat will repeatedly kick you in the teeth. It is very easy to miss key items and mini bosses will sneak up on you and kill your entire party in one hit. The story of the game is left bare an waits for you to discover it on your own as you explore the many regions of Avalon. Overall this is a game for those who love difficulty and hate all the hand holding in modern RPGs; to many this game will be a much needed breath of fresh air. Expand
  5. Oct 14, 2015
    Reminds me a lot of the Etrian Odyssey games. Only downside to the game is there is hardly any story. The music, gameplay, level and character design are all great. But with me being a guy that really likes story in his games I understand everyone's pain in not liking this game. I still recommend this game to all rpg players who don't need a story and love a good grind with a lot ofReminds me a lot of the Etrian Odyssey games. Only downside to the game is there is hardly any story. The music, gameplay, level and character design are all great. But with me being a guy that really likes story in his games I understand everyone's pain in not liking this game. I still recommend this game to all rpg players who don't need a story and love a good grind with a lot of difficulty.

I also recommend the Etrian Odyssey Untold Story games to anyone who wants a similar game that is more story driven,
  6. Nov 8, 2015
    Playable, but not worth the full price of a newly released game, would sum up my opinion. After playing for nearly 8 hours already, I can say that the game lacks direction in any meaningful sense. I will admit that the combat is satisfyingly challenging, and entertaining. It's just complex enough (later on) that having the same 3 fights over and over isn't a complete bore.Playable, but not worth the full price of a newly released game, would sum up my opinion. After playing for nearly 8 hours already, I can say that the game lacks direction in any meaningful sense. I will admit that the combat is satisfyingly challenging, and entertaining. It's just complex enough (later on) that having the same 3 fights over and over isn't a complete bore.

Unfortunately, the game is an unbreakable montage of exactly that: with the exception of the now-and-again boss monster, the mobs are repetitive. It would not be so bad if the level grinding were not such a dice roll: there is no indication of progress, and leveling anything up at all appears to be based at least halfway on chance. To lend credence to this point: I currently have one character with over 20 unlocked/learned skills and spells, and the remainder barely have 10, despite having been in all the same battles and, in one case, used all of the same equipment.

Many people have mentioned that the story is transparent, if there at all, and the characters are bland. I agree completely. Nothing will attach you to the characters beyond their individual opening scenes, which only play for the one you select as the main character. The world has lore, though all of it is given as relatively vague poetry, and explains nothing of note.

Be cautious of reviews giving high marks and downplaying the vast 'emptiness' of this game by claiming "it will not hold your hand, the game is challenging for a reason, etc." I have played many games with much more difficult and frustrating content, and even games with much more useless (or utterly missing) tutorials and explanations. Those sorts of games can be fun, as long as they have redeeming traits, such as interesting characters, a story (any would be a plus), rewarding grinding (not a lottery of skills and spells you might level up or master at random), or something other than a unique combat system.

Final score. 3/10. It's a pretty game, has good music, and an interesting combat system. It lacks very nearly everything else, unfortunately. If 'JRPG' stood for 'Japanese Repetitive Pointless Grindfest,' I would give it a perfect score.

Buy this game for a unique combat system, and nothing else. Definitely buy it used, or borrow it from someone unfortunate enough to have already paid for it, like I did.
  7. Oct 24, 2015
    A good pick up and play game without the complexities of a story .
  8. Oct 29, 2015
    This is the sort of game that you'll either like or won't. For me I enjoy the battle system, exploration, difficulty in fights. But some elements may turn off people like the RNG stat leveling and skill awakening system, or the lack of a story, but those elements didn't really bother me. This is the type of game you don't really play for very long stretches of time, as things can get veryThis is the sort of game that you'll either like or won't. For me I enjoy the battle system, exploration, difficulty in fights. But some elements may turn off people like the RNG stat leveling and skill awakening system, or the lack of a story, but those elements didn't really bother me. This is the type of game you don't really play for very long stretches of time, as things can get very grindy. But I enjoy what I play from this game. Expand
  9. Jul 3, 2016
    This was a gift for my sister, who loves RPGs just like I do and since we love niche rpgs much more than AAA ones I thought that this was a great game to buy. But I saw that she put it away and I took it for myself...and boy, now I understand why she did: this game is quite unfair.

For starters, no tutorial of any kind: I played for about 3 to 4 hours without being explained a single thing of the combat and the levelling system, which is not your usual levelling: you have 3 stats to raise and they work as both your levels AND your stats, but the game doesn't tell you how to raise them. Ideally, attacking increases your attack, guarding increases your defense and healing increases your support...it sounds pretty easy but there is no indicator that you're doing it right. On top of that because there's no real levelling, you're probably going to be stuck with your initial roster of 3 characters because raising those stats is quite grindy and long, as well as raising HP and SP. Weapons also have their own levels and the more you use them, the more abilities you obtain...but again there is NO indicator of what you're doing: you just have to grind battles until you get them.

And this is where the game broke me: after 4 hours of playing and just having a good time, beating the enemies quite easy now since I have somewhat higher stats, I get into a boss...and boom, dead in one shot. I couldn't escape and the boss didn't look any different than a normal mob. I wasted over 4 hours of gameplay and they were all gone because of a boss that 1 shotted me. And I was above 10 in basically each stat.

So yes, I ragequitted, and now here I am writing this review.

Do I recommend it? Well...yes and no: it's definitely interesting and rewarding if you put the time but it can be very unfair and difficult later on, plus it's incredibly grindy and without any explanation or any indicator that you're doing any progress, I have a hard time recommending this game in full.

If you happen to find it for cheap go for it, it's definitely a game to try. Just be ready to rage in frustration.
  10. Nov 1, 2016
    So i thought this game showed some promise, it had a good legacy(HA!) and foundation but didn't really live up to them or follow them. The reason one buys an RPG is for a good narrative and sense of wonder and progression. This offers only one of these and for people unfamiliar with it's legacy, it is very intimidating and unfulfilling. Instead of having a story focus, they instead opt forSo i thought this game showed some promise, it had a good legacy(HA!) and foundation but didn't really live up to them or follow them. The reason one buys an RPG is for a good narrative and sense of wonder and progression. This offers only one of these and for people unfamiliar with it's legacy, it is very intimidating and unfulfilling. Instead of having a story focus, they instead opt for a hardcore RPG experience and while it's good for people wanting to try something different, it offers nothing to those looking for a good narrative.

I'd avoid buying this title if you're looking for a normal role-playing game. This is a hardcore RPG with a deep battle and progression system. It has little to no character development or story.
  11. Mar 26, 2017
    O jogo tem tudo que procuro:

1º Dificuldade nas dungeons
    2º Número relativamente alto de personagens jogaveis
    3º Boa trilha sonora
    4º Gráficos lindos
  12. Sep 14, 2018
    An okay addition to the 3DS, it not a bad games but it have many issue that cannot be ignore. You should play the demo to get a sense if you like it or not.

1. CD-Action
    May 1, 2016
    At first glance The Legend of Legacy offers everything a jRPG should offer, but its really complex and interesting combat system was watered down with tedious running around and leveling up to be able to progress. [04/2016, p.62]
  2. Mar 24, 2016
    The systems you encounter on this mysterious island expedition are interesting at first, but become tedious and dreary too fast.
  3. Mar 23, 2016
    The Legend of Legacy is an unorthodox RPG that focuses less on its narrative and plot and a lot more on the combat experience, as well as audio and visual environments. While lacking charisma and an overall involving universe, The Legend of Legacy will satisfy those looking for fun and addictive combats backed up by marvelous artwork and a magnificent soundtrack.