• Publisher: Natsume
  • Release Date: Aug 26, 2008
7.2

1. JeanO.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Using the stylus feels awkward and difficult, especially when farming. In any other game that isn't time sensitive, it may be ok but in this game, you can't afford to spend hours just watering because the control isn't accurate. I have all previous Harvest Moons for all systems including the last one for the DS. This one isn't worth the money. No option for using the Using the stylus feels awkward and difficult, especially when farming. In any other game that isn't time sensitive, it may be ok but in this game, you can't afford to spend hours just watering because the control isn't accurate. I have all previous Harvest Moons for all systems including the last one for the DS. This one isn't worth the money. No option for using the pad instead of the stylus? No way!! Expand
  2. BudB.
    Sep 1, 2008
    It's not bad... it's just not unique enough from the other games. The stylus controls take some getting used too.
  3. JamesM.
    Aug 30, 2008
    TERRIBLE controls, I can't get around how bad they are. NO D-PAD CONTROLS AT ALL. It'd be nice if the d-pad could be set to control the character, but it can't. You can't even change ANY of the options. I love harvest moon, I played for twenty minutes before I couldn't stand it anymore. Wait until the next game, this one blows.
  4. Mar 24, 2018
    By building up your farm, you build up an entire island, in a way that organically makes sense. I know I'm in the minority, but one of my favorite Harvest Moon titles. The controls do take getting used to. Full (pen) sized stylus helps a lot. After that though, you have a great title to get lost in.

The island grows based not only upon what upgrades you buy (roads and such) but what you do. If you spend a lot of time in the mines and ship a bunch of valuable rocks, miners start to show up. Ship a lot of fish and fisherman flock to the rivers. Enough people come and a hotel opens for them. And so on and so on until you have a thriving island filled with villager and visitors.

You have the festivals, and the marriage candidates, and all the things you'd expect in a HM game. You can make money farming, or ranching, or mining, or foraging, or any combination of the above, so the gameplay doesn't get stale. Wonderfuls are nice change to the tool upgrade system, and there are plenty of house and island upgrades for you to spend your money on.

Overall, I give it an 8.5, rounded up to 9. It's not perfect, but to me, personally, it's a great game that captures the spirit of Harvest Moon.

#47 Most Discussed DS Game of 2008
#54 Most Shared DS Game of 2008

1. Nintendo Power
    The near-exclusive use of the touch screen to control every aspect of farm life is a questionable decision--it doesn't feel very accurate or intutitive. [Aug 2008, p.87]
  2. Unfortunately, bad mechanics and ho-hum gameplay progression bring things down.
    The paper-thin storyline (you're shipwrecked on a remote island and decide to put down roots there) may be an inconsequential excuse for you to repeat the same core game of the past 11 years, but some small lessons learned along the way manage to shine through.