- Summary: Sonic Classic Collection allows fans both old and new to speed through the much loved zones of the four original Mega Drive adventures, in a bid to collect the chaos emeralds and save the world. Optimized to take full advantage of the Nintendo DS system, Sonic Classic Collection will featureSonic Classic Collection allows fans both old and new to speed through the much loved zones of the four original Mega Drive adventures, in a bid to collect the chaos emeralds and save the world. Optimized to take full advantage of the Nintendo DS system, Sonic Classic Collection will feature a new save anywhere feature, a first in this original series, meaning that the games can be enjoyed anywhere, anytime! Gamers will also be given the chance to expand their knowledge with a wealth of extras including video and collectable pictures that are sure to be fan favorites. Sonic Classic Collection gathers together the first four Sonic The Hedgehog adventures - Sonic The Hedgehog, Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Sonic The Hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles - introducing some of the most influential Sonic titles to a whole new generation of gamers exclusively for the DS. [Sega]… Expand
If you are a die-hard Sonic Classic fan that owns a DS and you have managed to avoid every single re-re-release of Sonic The Hedgehog known to man, yes, this DS collection might be worth checking out. Just be prepared to see your heart break into little pieces of disappointment.
If you desperately need handheld versions of the classic Sonic titles, you have no alternative than to buy Sonic Classic Collection. However, the true greatness of the games on offer here does not get to shine through properly as there are a number of a issues, from glitchiness and slowdown to removed features.
Jul 27, 2016What are these mixed and bad reviews about this game is a great collection and way better than that GBA game and this game you can play on theWhat are these mixed and bad reviews about this game is a great collection and way better than that GBA game and this game you can play on the go so yea!… Expand
Sep 2, 2019Knuckles in Sonic 3 alone makes this collection great, but when you add both versions of Sonic 2, Sonic and Knuckles and regular Sonic 3, thisKnuckles in Sonic 3 alone makes this collection great, but when you add both versions of Sonic 2, Sonic and Knuckles and regular Sonic 3, this is a compilation that you must pick up!… Expand
Mar 19, 2012I love this game! It may just be an emulation running on the DS, but man alive... I enjoyed playing classic Sonic on the train and at work. II love this game! It may just be an emulation running on the DS, but man alive... I enjoyed playing classic Sonic on the train and at work. I played and finished all four of the main games. I loved every moment. I could mention certain small blemishes like the occasional frame-rate dips, the odd graphical glitch here and there or the fact that the Sonic 3 mini-boss music is absent... But all that is is rendered absolutely redundant in the face of how much fun I have had playing the thing. Who would have thought back in the day that all those old Mega Drive games could fit on something the size of a coin? Wonderful stuff!… Expand
Jan 10, 2016Sonic Classic Collection (DS):
Today's review is Sonic Classic Collection. Is it good? is it bad? Well, let's break it down, shall we?Sonic Classic Collection (DS):
Today's review is Sonic Classic Collection. Is it good? is it bad? Well, let's break it down, shall we?
- The games are emulated pretty well.
- It includes the Knuckles lock-on games, excluding Blue Sphere.
- The charm of the Genesis games are still here.
- Controls feel as good, if not, better than the originals.
- There's a save & load feature.
- Sonic the Screensaver, box art & other miscellaneous pictures are present.
- The original sounds & music are almost untweaked & pitch perfect, with lower pitched Sonic 3 & Knuckles Michael Jackson samples being the only exception.
- The game selection's decent.
- This game's menu and user interface overall looks polished & is well put together.
- The screen resolution is awkward compared to the console counterparts. At times, it's very distracting & reminds me of the Game Gear's resolution. - There aren't enough extras. It's barebones like Namco Museum for the Gamecube. Even Sonic Colors had more than this.
- The collection's generic. We've seen & played all of these games on 13 other & far superior compilations. It's a cash-in at this point.
- There's no multiplayer option for Sonic 2 & 3.
Good = 9
Bad = 4
Overall = Good… Expand
Mar 18, 2016Not the best versions by far.
The games are fully intact, but suffer in their translation to the DS. The DS's screen resolution is too lowNot the best versions by far.
The games are fully intact, but suffer in their translation to the DS. The DS's screen resolution is too low and the screen ration is not 4:3 - the solution given here is to squash the vertical, which lends the games a strange look to anyone familiar with them, with the levels and sprites seeming wider/shorter than you expect them to be.
There is a lot of stuttering in the image too, with a variable and low framerates making movement jerky. I also noticed a frequent flickering in the backgrounds that suggests a poor port.
The music is well presented, no complaints there.
One nice touch is that the bottom screen houses a little information about the loaded game, and holds a pause and quit button, load and save state (useful for when you need to put the console down and wish to pick up later from where you were) and a description of the game's controls. The bottom screen dims after a moment of not being touched, so that it doesn't distract from the action on the top screen. Oddly though, start doesn't pause the game - you have to tap the pause button on the touch screen
If you have a 3DS, you'd be well advised to purchase the amazing 3D remakes of the first two games. I only hope Sonic 3 & Knuckles comes along soon to complete the set - those are the absolute best versions of the games I've played, and put to shame the effort to shoehorn the games to the DS. A little more effort in properly rebuilding the game to fit the console would make this essential, but as it stands it is little more than a disappointment.… Expand
Nov 18, 2010Sonic Classic collection has been critisized by many just due to the lack of extras but really, if you're a fan then all you really care aboutSonic Classic collection has been critisized by many just due to the lack of extras but really, if you're a fan then all you really care about is the games included and the quality of the ports. In that aspect my score has nothing to do with the lack of bonus content; Rather my complaint is in the quality of the ports. While none of the ports are horrible or broken some of them, mainly sonic 1 and 2 do suffer from some framerate issues that can be quite bothersome as well as sound inconsistant audio quality only when playing the first two titles. However the games are still fun and are by no means ruined by these issues, there have been far worse ports (see Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis for GBA). All in all the games are still playable but you always get the feeling that they should be better if you were playing on a console. Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles came through better, the same issues are present, but not as frequent as the other two. All in all. There are plenty of better ways to experience these games whether it be on a Genesis/Megadrive system or even in a plethora of console ports accross the last two gens of systems. However, if you really want to play these games on the go, you may just want to look into this fun yet flawed package.… Expand