8.8

Buy Now
Buy on

1. ThomasW.
    Feb 24, 2004
    Eric S is obviously about 10 years old and made his review up without playing it. The game is precisely the apposite to what he says, its not fun for the first 15 minutes, its average if bad for the first 15 minutes. After an hour it gets great, and after a few hours you're absorbed. By the time your in full flow with making your own spells, keeping your sanity low to see what cool Eric S is obviously about 10 years old and made his review up without playing it. The game is precisely the apposite to what he says, its not fun for the first 15 minutes, its average if bad for the first 15 minutes. After an hour it gets great, and after a few hours you're absorbed. By the time your in full flow with making your own spells, keeping your sanity low to see what cool tricks the game does, and wanting to know what happens next....you become obbsesed. This game is a masterpiece, right up there with Ocarina of time. This is a truly mature game, not the darkness or the violence, but the way it challenges your preconceptions and presents you with a truly unique plot. Resident evil is but a B movie. This is Psycho. Expand
  2. KevinH.
    Jul 9, 2005
    When I first got this game, I played it...and beat it all the way through four times. I decided to go back and play it after a couple of years and it is even BETTER than I remember. I admit, it is not the hardest game in the world but this is one of my favorite games.
  3. Oct 30, 2021
    Overrated, had nice ideas but is extremely repetitive, which is a massive flaw seeing as the developers ask you to replay it several times for the "true ending". Even with just one playthrough you'll be seeing the same content over and over again. Beat it once and just go watch a video of the real ending, you won't be missing anything by doing this.
  4. Jan 19, 2011
    This game will scare you. I didn't believe it was possible to feel so much fear and despair while playing a game. I don't think any other horror game past or present has even come close to this one. A classic.
  5. Jun 28, 2014
    With a detailed story and psychological horror elements that keep the player on edge, this is one of the best Gamecube titles out there. Eternal Darkness is arguably the greatest horror game I have ever played, and that is no exaggeration.
  6. Nov 11, 2015
    Eternal Darkness is a game so dark and twisted that you are shocked it came from Nintendo. Not your standard horror game, this one has a deeply disturbing storyline and messes with the sanity of the character as well as the player as it actively messes with the gamer using unique visual tricks and fake outs. A technical marvel at time of release, Eternal Darkness is one of the mostEternal Darkness is a game so dark and twisted that you are shocked it came from Nintendo. Not your standard horror game, this one has a deeply disturbing storyline and messes with the sanity of the character as well as the player as it actively messes with the gamer using unique visual tricks and fake outs. A technical marvel at time of release, Eternal Darkness is one of the most innovative games in the horror genre that deserves another look. Expand
  7. Dec 7, 2015
    I had this game some months ago, and then I sold it :/. Anyway, This game is a strange gem, because it has a very good history, nice elements (the sanity bar), the music and atmosphere are great. However the graphics are not the best and the controls are clunky, finally sometimes the game is boring. If you have the time and patient this game is for you and probably you will give it a 9 or 10.
  8. Oct 30, 2016
    As others have rightly noted, the gimmicks (sanity meter, multiple plots converging) are outweighed by very clunky controls, slow paced play and an overall terrible fighting mechanic. But the biggest flaws are seen with the repetitive nature of the game which is mind numbing. The amount of times you have to travel from point A to bring something to point B, and back to point A, then backAs others have rightly noted, the gimmicks (sanity meter, multiple plots converging) are outweighed by very clunky controls, slow paced play and an overall terrible fighting mechanic. But the biggest flaws are seen with the repetitive nature of the game which is mind numbing. The amount of times you have to travel from point A to bring something to point B, and back to point A, then back to point B makes the pace unbearable. Expand
  9. Dec 26, 2014
    Easily one of the best horror games of all time. It has an insanity bar, just like a health bar, and I highly suggest trying out losing your mind. I cant wait for a remastered version.
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    A truly remarkable game for it's time. Probably one of the most original games I've ever played. Visuals are OK for the most part, but not as good as they could be. Voice acting is very good, narrative is a bit confusing but pretty good (provided you get what's going on.) Atmosphere is truly where this game shines. A true horror game that does everything it can to mess with your mind.A truly remarkable game for it's time. Probably one of the most original games I've ever played. Visuals are OK for the most part, but not as good as they could be. Voice acting is very good, narrative is a bit confusing but pretty good (provided you get what's going on.) Atmosphere is truly where this game shines. A true horror game that does everything it can to mess with your mind. Overall: Eternal Darkness is truly a unique game that really can not be fairly compared with anything else, but if I had to try, I would say that it is a cross between Alone in the Dark and Amnesia. A great game and an unforgettable experience, but it could have use a little brushing up in terms of the visuals. Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2013
    This is an artform, video games are art? The vast majority aren't, but this... this is art.
    +The storytelling is done so compellingly, the story itself and the themes it covers are very lovecraftian, it essentially is like a lovecraft story in all but name.
    +You experience the past, through the eyes of others throughout history. You come will see a evil so terrible and far stretching that you will have the context to truly understand how scary the ancient object is that you've found.
    +It's essentially survival horror in a dark gothic setting... yet its control scheme is SOooo good. Its very easy to use yet gives a very good level of control.
    +Sanity, this is so well implemented gameplay element, its ridiculous that no other game out there has copied it yet!! It makes the sanity system in Amnesia look pathetic, think Call of Cthulhu where seeing frightening scenes & linger around them to long decreases your sanity but the system goes above and beyond what you think. You're sanity level affects the game in subtle ways, strange things will start happening (not right away) but you'll notice weird things that it actually messes with not just your character, but you the player. What I mean is you will start to doubt your own sanity... I am not you.
    It's that good.
    +Fear, yes its scary without having to use jump scares. Its the hallmark of a good horror game & you should have already guessed by now that this game knows how to play with your imagination and use it against you. There might be 1 or 2 jump scares but it's almost out of place in this masterful tale of horror.
    +I could go on about puzzles and the voice acting, it's all so well done... the one thing I want more for this game than any other is for someone to port this baby to the PC. This game deserves to be remembered and played long after gamecube's a distant memory.
  12. Oct 24, 2017
    I just revisited the game again and I can say, the game still holds up very high. Sure, the game doesn't provide the best graphics, or the best game-play, and it looks as if it was developed with a low budget, but don't judge the book by its cover. In its core, the game is actually scary. The sanity system can **** your brain up. I don't want so spoil too much. But the developers got itI just revisited the game again and I can say, the game still holds up very high. Sure, the game doesn't provide the best graphics, or the best game-play, and it looks as if it was developed with a low budget, but don't judge the book by its cover. In its core, the game is actually scary. The sanity system can **** your brain up. I don't want so spoil too much. But the developers got it right and they were able to make a game that scares the hell of the players.

If you tried this game for a bit and it didn't impress you enough to finish it, I suggest you give the game another shot. The game does have a slow start (for me at least) but once you pass around 3 hours of the game, you will get into it and it will be nearly impossible to stop playing.

Undoubtedly the most underappreciated game has ever been made. Play this game whenever possible.
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    This game managed to create a scary overall atmosphere, yet always made me want to explore every dark corner of all the featured locations. Plot, fighting system, music, sound effects,... everything's top notch. There's only one little flaw: The enemies get quite difficult very soon and you might find yourself frustrated every now and then in the early parts of the game.
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    Simply a masterpiece. The psychological horror elements are top notch. Gameplay, plot and character development are amazing. This is a deep, well polished game that everyone should enjoy
  15. May 7, 2015
    I played Eternal Darkness about 1 year ago. Unfortunately I never got a GameCube, so I used to play it with the well-known Dolphin emulator. I was curious to try a few games for the GameCube, and I knew the fame and prestige that Eternal Darkness has, so I decided to start playing it.

In my opinion the plot of Eternal Darkness is strange, but especially beautiful. I loved a lot the time gap from one era to another throughout the history and events of humanity, and amazingly all the stories will have a final perfect consistency. The characters are very well characterized, and each of them has a story to tell. Another thing that struck me is the atmosphere: I am not a big reader, but is palpable the reference to works of H.P. Lovecraft's literature and mythology, as the Ancients, the occult, spirituality, madness. Beautiful also the ending: a cruel but true reality of how human life is influenced by events older and greater than it, and how mysterious forces manipulate its fate. It is an anti-anthropocentric story: the man is in the universe, but not in its center, in other words.

Like the plot, although the gameplay of Eternal Darkness is extraordinary. The first thing that catches one's eye is the special combat system: you can actually decide where to hit the target, to the head, to the body, or to the arms or legs, and according to the type of enemy the attack will have more or less effect. The combat system is in fact impeccably, and it must be considered the wide range of weapons available, from melee weapons to firearms, ancient and modern, and regardless of type of weapons the combat system is fun and structured. The use of magic with the special book not only allows you to perform powerful attacks but also to enchant weapons, or to interact with the environment to uncover secrets. Some types of spells need to be created by the player, through the combination of the runes. Among other things, the manner in which spells are related to each other by color, is a whole order of the strengths and weaknesses of the Ancients, and each color reflects the kind of power of the god. However what makes Eternal Darkness truly original is the indicator of mental sanity. Yes, because let's be honest: Eternal Darkness may be frightening, but not a lot. However the character's sanity, indicated by a green bar, it may decrease during the game and when it is empty the game begins to give birth to strange consequences: the heads of the statues that move, blood dripping from the walls, parts of the body that fall without a reason and many others. All this, beyond if the game is scary or not, surely leaves the player with his mouth open, because of unpredictability of events, and I personally found the addition of this expedient in the gameplay something simply brilliant. A special note for the battle against the final boss, that is beautiful and challenging. Really the gameplay of Eternal Darkness is beautiful, original and fun. It is as it should be the gameplay of each good game. If I have to say something that I didn't like some puzzles are a bit too frustrating and inconsistent, but they are relatively few compared to others.

From a technical point of view, Eternal Darkness maybe not excel, but still boasts a pretty good graphics and well made in 2002, especially considering that the game was originally designed for Nintendo 64. A very nice soundtrack too. Speaking of my experience with the emulator Dolphin, Eternal Darkness is the game that gave me less trouble: 50 frames, few bugs, and an exceptional stability.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is a great game, well made, balanced and original. A masterpiece of thriller and horror and surely a killer app of the GameCube, and one of the best games of the early 2000s.
  16. Dec 9, 2015
    An expertly created game, this game instills fear into the hearts of gamers. The sanity system is something that will truly make you question the game and the gameplay is innovative, fresh and original. I have heard complaints of clunky controls, but I would rather complain that is how the survival horror genre plays out (for most survival horror games from the day this game was releasedAn expertly created game, this game instills fear into the hearts of gamers. The sanity system is something that will truly make you question the game and the gameplay is innovative, fresh and original. I have heard complaints of clunky controls, but I would rather complain that is how the survival horror genre plays out (for most survival horror games from the day this game was released had clunky controls). The story is truly excellent and has much food for thought. The only true complaint I can find here is that the boss battles of this game are something that you wished were better executed and that the game is rather easy even for a beginner. Expand
  17. Apr 1, 2017
    9.2 - Definitely one of the best and unique horror games out there. For 2002, there were some decent scares here and there, especially when you leave the game on idle. Game-play is really cool due to the fact that you be different characters every mission.
  18. Mar 28, 2020
    All I gotta say is this is easily in the top 5 of GameCube games to own. While it is hard to find and is becoming very expensive, you won't find any other horror game like Eternal Darkness.

The game I thought at first was one of those games that got poor reviews. But I'm very surprised to see it so highly regarded. The mechanics do take time to get used to, but outside of that this

The mechanics do take time to get used to, but outside of that this is one of the best horror games of the 6th generation.

The only thing is that much of the cutscenes haven't aged well model wise and some of the audio is in low quality, but it doesn't affect the game that bad.

I'd love to see Nintendo return to this great series.
  19. Aug 14, 2019
    Scope: 4
    Balance: 7
    Story: 9,5
  20. Oct 17, 2019
    Absolutely perfect game for me. I loved every aspect of it when it was released. The graphics were great and the sounds perfect for the atmosphere. The little touches like the sanity effects, such as heads on statues moving the more insane you got. The way the story repeats locations with different characters was great and gave a connected feel to the timelines. I played through severalAbsolutely perfect game for me. I loved every aspect of it when it was released. The graphics were great and the sounds perfect for the atmosphere. The little touches like the sanity effects, such as heads on statues moving the more insane you got. The way the story repeats locations with different characters was great and gave a connected feel to the timelines. I played through several times to get the true ending with a very good friend and we both agreed that this was a once in a life time game, he is, unfortunately, no longer with us so I replay this game every few years in his memory. Expand
  21. Jul 21, 2020
    Great game! I played in Gamecube and now I'm playing on Dolphin and it still an excellent game! It needs a Remake!
  22. Jun 20, 2020
    Masterpiece of the generation! An amazing horror game, with a perfect story, characters development, incredible graphics and audio. You really feel sick and insane playing it!
  23. Aug 28, 2020
    Visually might be one of the best looking games on the GC, amazing sound mixing, you get near a window and you can hear rain or crows that are outside. My only complaint is chapter 10 it's way too long and too hard. You should definitely play this game at your own pace so it doesn't drive you crazy. You get used to de controls pretty easily for a GC title. Also if you are a fan of shortVisually might be one of the best looking games on the GC, amazing sound mixing, you get near a window and you can hear rain or crows that are outside. My only complaint is chapter 10 it's way too long and too hard. You should definitely play this game at your own pace so it doesn't drive you crazy. You get used to de controls pretty easily for a GC title. Also if you are a fan of short scary stories, this is a MUST play for you. Rather than focusing on atmosphere, it leans on psychological terror that will have you impressed till the end. Expand
  24. May 28, 2012
    This game was okay. Over rated I think.
  25. Ryanphillips
    Jul 5, 2002
    This game rules!!!! It is the best i have ever played!!! get it!!!! why have u all given it 9's or 10's????? this game rules it deserves a #1!!!!! Buy this game because it is the best!!!!
  26. DemonicAngel
    Aug 6, 2005
    Eternal Darkness promises an apocalyptic storyline that spans centuries and is told from the perspective of many different people. The graphics are only just passable considering what the Gamecube is capable of, but that can be somewhat forgiven since the game was originally in development for N64. Sounds and music are generally atmospheric, though some effects just sound completely out Eternal Darkness promises an apocalyptic storyline that spans centuries and is told from the perspective of many different people. The graphics are only just passable considering what the Gamecube is capable of, but that can be somewhat forgiven since the game was originally in development for N64. Sounds and music are generally atmospheric, though some effects just sound completely out of place, and the voice acting is of a very high standard. However, the gameplay is tedious and repetitive to the point where, 3 or 4 characters into the story, the desire to see what happens next is totally outweighed by my unwillingness to wander through yet another linear location and bash yet more zombie-like enemies. Plus, for a game that's supposed to be scary, it's not very scary. Maybe it gets better. Personally, though, I won't be bothering to find out. A rent-first. Expand
  27. GregK.
    Sep 11, 2007
    I started a new game in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem the other day. When this game came out, all the reviewers talked about how it was the Greatest Game Ever, and how unique and cool and fun it was. And for the first playthrough, they are right. If you were anything like me you played through the game with a deliberately low Sanity Meter just to see all the insanity effects. I started a new game in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem the other day. When this game came out, all the reviewers talked about how it was the Greatest Game Ever, and how unique and cool and fun it was. And for the first playthrough, they are right. If you were anything like me you played through the game with a deliberately low Sanity Meter just to see all the insanity effects. And the storyline was complex enough (actually, I don't think I fully got what was going on the first time) to be interesting through the whole game. But on the second playthrough? Not so great. Skip the cutscenes, strip away all the insanity effects (since you've seen them all several times over by now) and you're left with a bland, slow-paced and quite linear action-adventure game. For me it's way too easy and at times very annoying (those stupid Trappers keep teleporting me, gaaaah). Underneath the sanity gimmick, this game is seriously lacking in gameplay meat. There are only three different types of enemies (which come in 3 variations each) that you'll see across the entire 10 hour playtime. I don't have enough interest to play up to the repetitive ending part where you have to backtrack nine (!) times. And there is I think one lone unlockable, where you beat the game three times over and you're given the ability to play through with unlimited life, mana and sanity. Whoopee. Don't get me wrong: this game is a trip the first time through. If you haven't played it, you owe yourself a rental. But it's too bad this game doesn't hold up on multiple plays. Nobody else has yet duplicated the Sanity Meter, but the rest of the game's mechanics have been refined in a half dozen games since ED's release. Expand
  28. ChuckU.F.
    Jun 26, 2002
    Bad character models.
  29. MonkeyC.
    Mar 28, 2003
    Boring anti-cheese game with no replay value whatsoever!
  30. EricS.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Fun for the first 15 minutes, Eternal Darkness coudn't hold my interest. This is an example of a game that focuses all on graphics and plot, yet ignores gameplay. The "original" combat is slow pased, pointless, repetative, and overall, boring. To make matters worse, ED has an increadibly clunky controls which takes hours to get used to, and for the whole game it feels like the Fun for the first 15 minutes, Eternal Darkness coudn't hold my interest. This is an example of a game that focuses all on graphics and plot, yet ignores gameplay. The "original" combat is slow pased, pointless, repetative, and overall, boring. To make matters worse, ED has an increadibly clunky controls which takes hours to get used to, and for the whole game it feels like the characters are walking around in lead shoes! The most overly hyped game in years, Nintendo should just stick to kiddy games and leave everything else to Sony and Microsoft. Expand
  31. Nov 5, 2016
    The game opens with Alexandra Roivas discovering that her grandfather's body has just been found in his mansion, bloodied and torn apart. With the local police unable to uncover any clues regarding the murder, she decides to take matters into her own hands and investigate the mansion and that’s when the tale of Eternal Darkness truly begins.

Played now the graphics and combat system,

Played now the graphics and combat system, while still more than adequate, are slightly outdated but developer Silicon Knights psychological thriller still stands amongst the GameCube’s best. This is in large part to its era spanning storyline that sees the player take control of characters ranging from a Roman Centurion to a hunter from the 1980’s. I won’t spoil the plot here but suffice to say they are all connected.
    Another of the game’s masterstrokes is the use of ‘insanity effects’. Should the players sanity bar drop to low all manner of strange things will start to occur, many of which have an effect on the gameplay.
    It may now be more than ten years old but those who own a Wii and are looking for something new to play could do a lot worse than picking up Eternal Darkness.
  32. Oct 27, 2011
    nice and original residentevil esque game
    very good story and solid smooth graphics, easy controls and lots of characters to play with
    great game for 2002
  33. Jul 4, 2014
    Un gran represante en el género. Destacó por su acercamiento a la obra de lovecraft, su originalidad a la hora de narrar la historia y sobre todo, por el épico medidor de cordura que cuando bajaba mucho provocaba estragos en el juego. Cosa que... las primeras veces bien, pero a partir de la cuarta se hacia pesado e indiferente. Por lo demás un juego muy correcto con algunas historiasUn gran represante en el género. Destacó por su acercamiento a la obra de lovecraft, su originalidad a la hora de narrar la historia y sobre todo, por el épico medidor de cordura que cuando bajaba mucho provocaba estragos en el juego. Cosa que... las primeras veces bien, pero a partir de la cuarta se hacia pesado e indiferente. Por lo demás un juego muy correcto con algunas historias mejores que otras, pero con buen potencial. Expand
  34. Jun 17, 2016
    Playing this game in 2016 for the first time. AND I LOVE IT! Had to get used to the magic-tool-box, but its just brilliant. Graphics are very nice for a GameCube game.
  35. Dec 2, 2016
    If there's anything you did not expect Nintendo to publish, it's this eye-jewel of a horror game. This horror game still has an actual story built onto it as of now unlike horror movies nowadays where they just use you for money. Possibly could be one of the best forgotten GameCube originals you could possibly play.
  36. Mar 12, 2017
    Can't make a review for this game without spoiling much and I really don't want to spoil stuff since that would ruin the kind of experience you're supposed to get.

This is one of the best scary games ever made. It does something that pretty much no other horror game does. It plays tricks on your mind and will actually trick you, the player, into thinking that you're truly scared and truly losing your mind. Horror games today still don't do stuff like this. Not really. This game is on a whole new level of crazy for horror games. It's one of the best and you should totally try it. Great visuals too.

And they said nintendo is a kids console... You would think otherwise if you played this one lol. This game is totally not for kids. Maybe a child who's been through some serious **** can handle it but not a regular child...
    I played this game when I was about 14 and it was totally messed up lol. Silent hill on crack basically.
  37. Dec 30, 2016
    Cult classic. Filled with wonder, awe. mystery and Lovecraft. The narrative drove this game much further than the antiquated game systems. The sanity system was insanely good. If you spoil it you're missing out on the fun of experencing the game as its meant to be played. A shame Shadow of the Eternals never came to fruition. One of the best games in history.
  38. Mar 30, 2018
    scary, just scary. That's many all I have to say about this game. The story line is over different time lines
  39. Jul 6, 2018
    This review will contain no spoilers/small ones. Eternal Darkness is a GC game that got out in the 2002, but despite its age it is still one of the horror games I would highly recommend to anyone who like the genre. I personally played a dozen adventure horror games and only heard about Eternal Darkness but never tried it. But as of late I have been properly acquainted with the game and imThis review will contain no spoilers/small ones. Eternal Darkness is a GC game that got out in the 2002, but despite its age it is still one of the horror games I would highly recommend to anyone who like the genre. I personally played a dozen adventure horror games and only heard about Eternal Darkness but never tried it. But as of late I have been properly acquainted with the game and im sorry I havent tried it earlier.

The visuals are great, even though the game is old the characters, places, items etc. look nice and not old. Camera is locked but that (mainly) isnt the problem as it is implemented well. Some of the visual effects look great even today.
    Audio is also very good. The music is atmospheric and haunting in places it should be and "laid back" and slow where it also should be.Voices are done well and dialogue carries the story quite satisfactory. One minor quip ( if Id really have to nitpick) is some sound effects could have lowered volume.
    The controls are responsive and feel good, the combat system is done well and is very fun to use. There is a spell system which maybe gets a bit tedious by the end but its nitpicking again. Enemies can mostly be avoided so the combat isnt compulsory. There are also traps in various chapters which again are done well and if you die by them, you feel like its your fault and not the bad controls or the "game's fault" in some other way.
    But what Youll mostly be doing besides combating the forces of evil and eluding traps is solving puzzles. The puzzle are (without spoiling much) very creative and are mostly not hard. The puzzles can usually be solved in the rooms they are presented in or nearby, although there are a few parts with backtracking and that can get tedious.
    The story itself is very good and does branch (although very slightly). The story itself is compeling enough to keep playing just to see the end.
  40. Jun 10, 2021
    Best horror ever made , scary ambients , very creative monsters and lore ,like book Lovercrafts.
  41. Feb 16, 2021
    One of my favorite GC game i stilo got the originale 1 in 2021.
    So manu years, shame about too human that it was a flop
  42. Jan 31, 2021
    Adelantado a su época. Son pocas las personas que han sabido definir lo que es el terror psicológico en un juego y explotar el concepto de la locura para usarlo en contra del propio jugador con constantes rupturas de la cuarta pared. En palabras un poco trilladas: Tú no estás jugando; es Eternal Darkness quien juega contigo.

No ha envejecido muy bien, pues los controles se sienten

No ha envejecido muy bien, pues los controles se sienten torpes en combate aun cuando hay más libertad de movimiento que en otros juegos de terror de su tiempo, o que para 2002 ya existía RE Remake, siendo de los mejores gráficos vistos en una GameCube. Aun con esos detalles, es una obra de culto que mereció más reconocimiento.
  43. May 29, 2021
    Tras jugarlo en pleno 2021 lo podría clasificar como un resident evil pero en cutre y aburrido. Los monstruos son feos hasta para estar hecho en 2002. Resident evil code verónica es también de esa época y los gráficos son mucho mejores. La jugabilidad es tosca, caótica, repetitiva y falta de acción. Los puzles son extraños, y la mecánica de las runas un auténtico coñazo. Como punto a favorTras jugarlo en pleno 2021 lo podría clasificar como un resident evil pero en cutre y aburrido. Los monstruos son feos hasta para estar hecho en 2002. Resident evil code verónica es también de esa época y los gráficos son mucho mejores. La jugabilidad es tosca, caótica, repetitiva y falta de acción. Los puzles son extraños, y la mecánica de las runas un auténtico coñazo. Como punto a favor le doy que la atmósfera del juego está lograda, y la historia no es completamente mala, pese a que la protagonista está sobreactuada. Honestamente no lo recomiendo. Expand
  44. Jul 4, 2022
    One of the best survival horror game for Game Cube, ever....!!!!! This is a classic game, its scare you for sure...!!!
  45. JamesR.
    May 13, 2007
    I give it a 9 out of 10! I would give a 10, but the battle system is a bit repeating. But anyways, this game was orginally for the N64. So if anyone was to buy it today, they'd proably hate the graphics cause it's not up to date. Well no shit, it was made for the N64! Now, if they were to makea sequel and mroe spells and monsters. This would be a game of the year! I mean think I give it a 9 out of 10! I would give a 10, but the battle system is a bit repeating. But anyways, this game was orginally for the N64. So if anyone was to buy it today, they'd proably hate the graphics cause it's not up to date. Well no shit, it was made for the N64! Now, if they were to makea sequel and mroe spells and monsters. This would be a game of the year! I mean think about it. A sequel, with a better battle system, longer storyline, mor emonsters and proably a bit more challenging cause I find it rather really easy to beat. I mean imagine a sequel on the PS3, Wii, or 360? If they do make one. I hope they make it for the 360 cause I'm an xbox fan. Plus online playing on story mode on live! Dude this can be a best seller for an online gameplay! Expand
  46. ArcH
    Jul 30, 2009
    I will be reasonable here. I say this because I know this game was originally intended for N64, and therefore the graphics are not the best in the world, but it doesn't matter. I don't need graphics to enjoy a game. What I do need is fun, and for a good while Eternal Darkness really does deliver. I definitely enjoyed the first part of this game, the sanity effects were really I will be reasonable here. I say this because I know this game was originally intended for N64, and therefore the graphics are not the best in the world, but it doesn't matter. I don't need graphics to enjoy a game. What I do need is fun, and for a good while Eternal Darkness really does deliver. I definitely enjoyed the first part of this game, the sanity effects were really interesting, it was pretty creepy, the storyline was somewhat interesting starting out, and the magic system was kinda cool too. If you are experimental enough, you can learn a few spells long before you ever actually should know them. I quite enjoyed the different environments. That said, I felt most of the games good points broke down about halfway through, the sanity effects it did well got boring, the environments which we end up visiting the same ones many times throughout the game got played out, the puzzles were at times so simplistic as to be insulting, yet other times so exceptionally annoying that I couldn't have hoped to figure them out, and the game gives you no hints. I felt like with some puzzles I just had to know without any information whatsoever. Thankfully, that sort of thing doesn't pop up all the time, but when it does it really is annoying. I felt that much of the games good points hinged on the novelty things like the sanity and the offbeat storyline, and once those fell flat the whole game fell through as there was little gameplay to back it up. I had my high times and my low times, and the few high times were really enjoyable, but the low times really sucked. One thing that is not mentioned is the lack of Autosave, which had me replaying large portions of the game because at the times I actually remembered to save, I wasn't allowed to, and then I get stuck in a corner by an invisible monster who I can't hit and can't cast against because their hits interrupt my spells. I'm all for a challenge, but that's not a challenge any more than getting hit in the face by a meteor is a survival challenge. I think this game did enough things well enough for me to get a few hours, 10 or so, of enjoyment out of it, and therefore I will grudgingly give it a 7. Summary -- Gameplay: Sometimes hits the mark, but normally poor Graphics: Average, but didn't hinder enjoyment Puzzles: Either extremely simple or rarely way too difficult Storyline: Started out well, halfway through turned uninteresting Characters: So many it was hard to care about any. Most were pretty bland. Novelties: The sanity effects were done well and really had me guessing at times. Combat: Magic system was interesting at first, much of the combat was spent slashing at slow moving zombies. Success involved targeting and holding up, slash until dead Replay value: hardly any. Expand
  47. GameDude
    Jul 1, 2002
    This game is freakin amazing!!! I started playing it and figured that it would just be another boring game that I would beat and never want to touch again. Well, I haven't beaten it yet, but I am still intrigued by it and having a blast!!! By the way, RE for GC should not be made such a big deal out of. I rented it, found it to be really cool for awhile because it looked great, tired This game is freakin amazing!!! I started playing it and figured that it would just be another boring game that I would beat and never want to touch again. Well, I haven't beaten it yet, but I am still intrigued by it and having a blast!!! By the way, RE for GC should not be made such a big deal out of. I rented it, found it to be really cool for awhile because it looked great, tired of it, stopped and realized "I'm playing the same F...ing game that I played years ago on PSX" Of course there are changes, but I am a really stubborn gamer who expects the best! Eternal Darkness may even prove to be more to my liking than RE. Expand
  48. Luke
    Aug 20, 2002
    This is a cool game if you happen to be 10 yers old, or mentally challenged. its really fun for about an hour, untill you keep getting the same repeating sanity effects every time and the SAME annoying "scary" sound effect EVERY 7 seconds in the game. overall, rent it. its not worth 50 bucks. unless of course you like rediculously simple puzzles and pressing the B button 4 million times.
  49. T.Dog
    Aug 20, 2002
    This game is nuts! I swear, it drives you insane... Sweet gameplay, too.
  50. J.H.
    Sep 1, 2002
    On par with Fatal Frame in terms of sheer scariness. Play at night, with the lights out.
  51. C.
    Oct 21, 2003
    Solid but flawed. For all the developement time Silicon Knight's first GCN title feels very uneven. Played it solid for 3 days then put it onthe shelf (where it remains gathering dust). Good game, but this is no GCN classic.
  52. NathanH.
    May 2, 2003
    The best thriller made to date!
  53. CarlosA.
    Jul 31, 2003
    Great game!The story is amazing (i kid you not), it boggles your mind.The graphics are very smooth and there is a lot of detail through out the levels/worlds. This game does not suck,and this game is not boring,when you review a game you must forget about the other games that are out(like fatal frame) and after you do that, than you can compare,then youll see the quality of the game that Great game!The story is amazing (i kid you not), it boggles your mind.The graphics are very smooth and there is a lot of detail through out the levels/worlds. This game does not suck,and this game is not boring,when you review a game you must forget about the other games that are out(like fatal frame) and after you do that, than you can compare,then youll see the quality of the game that you are revewing! Good game,fabolous job Silicon Knights(oh those Canadians):) Expand
  54. Carroll
    Jan 10, 2004
    Eternal Darkness is one of the best games I've ever played. It's also the scariest and the sanity (or insanity) effect keeps getting better as the game goes on. This game has been cleverly designed, great graphics, and the story is compelling until the end. This game is for Mature gamers and I have to agree with that. In my opinion this game is way too scary for young children Eternal Darkness is one of the best games I've ever played. It's also the scariest and the sanity (or insanity) effect keeps getting better as the game goes on. This game has been cleverly designed, great graphics, and the story is compelling until the end. This game is for Mature gamers and I have to agree with that. In my opinion this game is way too scary for young children (12 and under). In fact, some teens and adults might find it builds too much anxiety to enjoy. But, if you like your games scary and enjoy having your hair stand on end, then this game is for you. ~~~ Carroll Expand
  55. MICHAELD.
    Feb 8, 2004
    I have played practically every survival horror game in existence, including every Resident Evil, every Clock Tower (even the prequel "First Fear" and Clock Tower 3), all of the Silent Hills (which up to now were my favorites), Fatal Frame I and II, Alone in the Dark and its sequels, etc., and yet I can honestly say that this is the GREATEST survival horror game I've ever played. In I have played practically every survival horror game in existence, including every Resident Evil, every Clock Tower (even the prequel "First Fear" and Clock Tower 3), all of the Silent Hills (which up to now were my favorites), Fatal Frame I and II, Alone in the Dark and its sequels, etc., and yet I can honestly say that this is the GREATEST survival horror game I've ever played. In fact, it deserves a new category -- psychological horror. When I finished playing it through for the third time, defeating my third and final ancient, receiving the special Mantorok ending, I found myself almost crying that this unique game was effectively over. Nintendo and Silicon Knights, my hat is off to you! Could we PLEASE have a sequel? PLEASE?!? Expand
  56. Rhydon3.5
    May 1, 2004
    This is one beauty of a phsyco thriller took me a year to complete!
  57. CaseyA.
    Aug 9, 2004
    Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm playing it for the third time. At first I thought it was just a girl in a haunted house sort of game, but it's much more involved and gets better as it goes on. I love how you experience through time the same buildings but they've changed in an eerie, yet logical sort of way. As a warning, Eternal Darkness for the Gamecube is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm playing it for the third time. At first I thought it was just a girl in a haunted house sort of game, but it's much more involved and gets better as it goes on. I love how you experience through time the same buildings but they've changed in an eerie, yet logical sort of way. As a warning, it's a scary game and if you play late at night in a dark room, some of the insanity effects and creatures might make you jump a bit. : ) Anyway, this game is a great one and you should be able to pick one up at a bargain price. Highly Recommended. Expand
  58. JimS.
    Feb 9, 2005
    I can't believe that Steve S. is as idiotic as he makes himself out to be. "But remember, its an old game and if it were reviewed today it wouldnt have gotten a 92." That's true of pretty much any game. Duh. That's like saying, "Remember, while Pac-Man might have been good in its day, it is pretty lame now." Idiot! At any rate, this game is -still- an excellent game. It is I can't believe that Steve S. is as idiotic as he makes himself out to be. "But remember, its an old game and if it were reviewed today it wouldnt have gotten a 92." That's true of pretty much any game. Duh. That's like saying, "Remember, while Pac-Man might have been good in its day, it is pretty lame now." Idiot! At any rate, this game is -still- an excellent game. It is definitely worth at least one play-through. Play it in the dark by yourself, and I guarantee it will scare the hell out of you. The story is great and all of the many different plotlines are tied together masterfully. Try it, you won't be disappointed. Expand
  59. StefanP.
    Jun 15, 2006
    Eternal Darkness is a true classic. I recently played through the game again and I still think it's one hell of a game. The storyline is dark and compelling, and is greatly influenced by H.P. Lovecraft, which is a big plus in my book. The game is quite addictive and it didn't feel repetitive to me. Sure, it's very linear, but that really didn't bother me very much. The Eternal Darkness is a true classic. I recently played through the game again and I still think it's one hell of a game. The storyline is dark and compelling, and is greatly influenced by H.P. Lovecraft, which is a big plus in my book. The game is quite addictive and it didn't feel repetitive to me. Sure, it's very linear, but that really didn't bother me very much. The voiceacting is very good, some of the best I've heard so far in any game, from the Edward's soothing voice to Maximilians mad ramblings. The sanity thing is worked out really well in my opinion. From (quite funny) visual effects to the mad cackling/crying baby 'music'(truly terrifying). This game has some flaws though. It's not very hard to beat, plus I thought the 'colours' of the ancients looked way too bright. All in all though, a really great game, a must buy for any gamecube owner. Expand
  60. BradyC.
    Aug 5, 2002
    WOW!! it got pretty damn freaky especially when u go isane. loved the add and the flying books. cant wait for #2.
  61. Mick
    Nov 20, 2003
    Quality.
  62. CamwrenW.
    Dec 12, 2003
    If there were a score higher than a ten then this game would get it! In my opinion this is the best game ever played! While fun and exciting the game also earns a great story line that swithces from various eras of time, which makes the game just that more exciting! This game also has complimenting graphic, sound and intrest level (It kept mine every minute of the line)! It was also If there were a score higher than a ten then this game would get it! In my opinion this is the best game ever played! While fun and exciting the game also earns a great story line that swithces from various eras of time, which makes the game just that more exciting! This game also has complimenting graphic, sound and intrest level (It kept mine every minute of the line)! It was also suprising in when you thought that the game was over it just brought up a whole new character or problem! So once again i will have to say this game easily earns a ten (and far beyond) and can be the best game (over all) ever played! Expand
  63. DougM.
    Apr 27, 2003
    One of the Gamecube's best offerings is a dark and dismal action adventure game that took nearly 4 years to be released. Great combat system and story but the best thing has to be the magic abilities. The sanity meter is overrated.
  64. GamesBitch
    Aug 18, 2003
    Spooky, puzzling and generally pretty damn challenging stuff. ( I did have to get some faq help though to complete)
  65. EfraimN.
    Apr 27, 2004
    This game is awesome. Spine-tingling, and downright scary in some places, Eternal Darkness is verything a great game could hope to be. Powerful, emotive voice acting, superb scenery, well-crafted gameplay and the awesome soundtrack- this game has it all. It left me with a feeling of sadness when I'd finished it, sadness that this game had finally ended. And there aren't many This game is awesome. Spine-tingling, and downright scary in some places, Eternal Darkness is verything a great game could hope to be. Powerful, emotive voice acting, superb scenery, well-crafted gameplay and the awesome soundtrack- this game has it all. It left me with a feeling of sadness when I'd finished it, sadness that this game had finally ended. And there aren't many games that do that- games that are so involving that the player feels a sense of loss when he realises that it's finally over. The insanity effects make this a game that no-one who's played it can rightly forget. A brilliant achievement, Nintendo. I can only hope it's going to have a sequal. Expand
  66. JustinB.
    Oct 3, 2005
    While lacking some polish, Eternal Darkness frightening and compelling story coupled with its inventive spell system and mind-blowing and innovative sanity effects make this game a must play for anyone who enjoys good games.
  67. KymP.
    Feb 15, 2005
    1. Nintendo didnt make this game...Silicon Knighst did... so all you cokcs who are saying Nintendo should stick kiddie stuff should just shut the hell up and let the informed people talk. 2. This game is brilliant. 3. Anyone who can't at least acknowledge its well handled gameplay and fantastic story telling should probably go back to playing Driver 3 and The Getaway - 'worst 1. Nintendo didnt make this game...Silicon Knighst did... so all you cokcs who are saying Nintendo should stick kiddie stuff should just shut the hell up and let the informed people talk. 2. This game is brilliant. 3. Anyone who can't at least acknowledge its well handled gameplay and fantastic story telling should probably go back to playing Driver 3 and The Getaway - 'worst controls EVER! (on foot)' Expand
  68. DanielL.
    Feb 18, 2005
    Eric S. is a moron, If you can handle the cheesy horror game thing for more than 15 mins you discover a terrifying, absorbing and seriously entertaining game. Best thing since this generation of console was invented. V funny the guy that thought 1 was best.
  69. AdamT.
    Sep 14, 2005
    This was a hard one, I couldn't decide between 9 and 10, first of all the graphics for this game, are now considered mediocre as opposed to it's launch date.Secondly being that at times, this game was really hard and confusing, but eventually I realized when i was playing this game I was hooked, although the puzzle and stuff were hard I still kept trying and enjoyed it, and the This was a hard one, I couldn't decide between 9 and 10, first of all the graphics for this game, are now considered mediocre as opposed to it's launch date.Secondly being that at times, this game was really hard and confusing, but eventually I realized when i was playing this game I was hooked, although the puzzle and stuff were hard I still kept trying and enjoyed it, and the graphics actually improved as you got further in the game.Besides that the storyline and how the game is orchestrated and how it eventually falls all into place is brilliant, I couldn't have been more satisfied with the ending and the replay value is enormous. This game is nowhere near perfect, but it's the perfect Nintendo attempt at a more mature game, this is one of my favorites ever. Expand
  70. BrianC.
    Nov 20, 2007
    As far as I am concerned, the best GameCube game ever. (Excluding the Ocarina of time Re-Release) From the Sanity System, to the chilling sound effects. Pair this game with surround sound and the lights off, and you'll be twitching all night.
  71. BenjaminB.
    Mar 22, 2007
    This game is quite good. it has got some nice ideas, but the fighting gameplay is a little bit lame buy it if you want to see a different kind of horror game like silent hill or RE.
  72. AndrewC.
    Mar 3, 2007
    I think reviewers are sometimes completely nuts. They gloss over little details like, oh, say, the graphics totally stink and the gameplay is boring and repetitive, just because it's revolutionary. True, the "sanity meter" thing is decently interesting...although it's hard to tell when something was supposed to happen, or if it was just insanity. Maybe that's the point. I think reviewers are sometimes completely nuts. They gloss over little details like, oh, say, the graphics totally stink and the gameplay is boring and repetitive, just because it's revolutionary. True, the "sanity meter" thing is decently interesting...although it's hard to tell when something was supposed to happen, or if it was just insanity. Maybe that's the point. Anyway, the gameplay is lame, the graphics look like butt, and the story is dark and dismal to the point of sheer boredom. Get Resident Evil 4 instead. Expand
  73. AntonK
    Feb 20, 2008
    Okay, everyone out there that voted this game less than a 9...I begrudgingly accept your criticisms of the game. That said, I think the points you *attempt* at making are completely bogus. Come on...you played 15 minutes of the game, and decided to give it a rating of 0?!?! What the hell, dude? Also, person with the name "Anti-Eternal Darkness" and you expect people to take you seriously? Okay, everyone out there that voted this game less than a 9...I begrudgingly accept your criticisms of the game. That said, I think the points you *attempt* at making are completely bogus. Come on...you played 15 minutes of the game, and decided to give it a rating of 0?!?! What the hell, dude? Also, person with the name "Anti-Eternal Darkness" and you expect people to take you seriously? I think not. Let's see...hmmm...try to find a copy of that game in any place like GameStop, and will you even be able to find it on the shelves? Hmm? No...you won't. Because it was an absolutely AWESOME game, with great N64 graphics (which, by the by, as has been mentioned before, it was originally for!), and an extremely simple control scheme. As for everyone else (for the most part) I agree. Now, as far as that goes, this game being the FIRST GameCube game I had played, even I figured it out (Now, I did get slaughtered in the opening dream scene, but hey, I did learn the controls fairly quickly). The game had a completely engrossing storyline, great magic system, and yes, the sanity system could get slightly problematic and freaky, but that did nothing but add to the game. I played Silent Hill 3 with my friend, with surround sound, in the dark...and *that* game didn't scare me as much as this one did in the same setting. And yes, I have also played Fatal Frame (part II), and as scary as it was, it did not make my heart skip beats as much as Eternal Darkness. A great Wii sequel would be awesome, and I would buy it in a heartbeat! Expand
  74. M
    Jun 2, 2008
    ED: SR immerses you, which is a highly important property of any game. This title creates that trait as soon as you turn on the console and thus creates the mood. From that point you become focused and are further ready to participate in the experience. The game keeps you close, for you are there, in the story, with the characters. Every step could just as easily really be yours. ED is ED: SR immerses you, which is a highly important property of any game. This title creates that trait as soon as you turn on the console and thus creates the mood. From that point you become focused and are further ready to participate in the experience. The game keeps you close, for you are there, in the story, with the characters. Every step could just as easily really be yours. ED is highly detailed, in many, many ways. (note: the wii enhances the visual detail when using component cables, and without them.) So, if you are in the mood for mysteriousness that begins in a big, quiet mansion, and that takes you through 2000 years of history Expand
  75. Sui
    Jun 27, 2002
    Awesome.
  76. SniperMan000
    Jun 27, 2002
    1 point deduction for that annoying ass music that plays after every time you start a characters chapter w/book- like Turok with occasional hissings. A high 9, great gameplay.
  77. M.
    Jul 15, 2002
    Hey stupid #1 is a bad rating 10 is good.
  78. EricC.
    Jul 24, 2002
    There are so many great things about this game. The story and voice direction are presented in such an eerie manner, including very creepy sanity effects. Other aspects such as graphics and sound blend into the game perfectly. The controls for the battle and magic system are easy to learn. The puzzles can always be solved in a logical manner and won't bug the brains out of you, like There are so many great things about this game. The story and voice direction are presented in such an eerie manner, including very creepy sanity effects. Other aspects such as graphics and sound blend into the game perfectly. The controls for the battle and magic system are easy to learn. The puzzles can always be solved in a logical manner and won't bug the brains out of you, like in Resident Evil. The only reason I can't give it a perfect score is because battling the same creatures over and over can be fun, but also tedious after a while. Also it seemed like it was a little too easy for me to beat. Overall, I think it is, arguably, the best game on Gamecube. Expand
  79. Mr.T.
    Sep 21, 2002
    That's a spicy tamale!!!
  80. M.W.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Great adventure and the script beats zelda anyday.sanity system is fantastic, even if it is a little gimmicky.
  81. CodyK.
    Aug 16, 2005
    I wanted to enjoy Sanity
  82. DaveB.
    Nov 18, 2003
    This game scared the bejesus out of me! It's fun as hell and the storyline is awesome and exciting. The gameplay is kinda like Resident Evil, it's excellent!
  83. SteveS.
    Dec 17, 2004
    This game was really good as an early gc title, but it is kind of dated now. I bought this game years ago, and back then i loved it. I recently started playing again, and it is no longer creepy, or fun. I found the combat too simple and the sanity system dumb and the magic not cool enough. Bottom line: This game is still pretty good. If you find it in the bargain bin, its a good buy. But This game was really good as an early gc title, but it is kind of dated now. I bought this game years ago, and back then i loved it. I recently started playing again, and it is no longer creepy, or fun. I found the combat too simple and the sanity system dumb and the magic not cool enough. Bottom line: This game is still pretty good. If you find it in the bargain bin, its a good buy. But remember, its an old game and if it were reviewed today it wouldnt have gotten a 92. Expand
  84. Feb 11, 2022
    El juego de Terror supremo, con una historia intrincada y unos de los mejores trabajos de GC
  85. Feb 15, 2022
    It is the year 2021. It feels so incredibly while playing this game for the first time ever. I don't know why, but this game's story, gameplay, graphics and animations feel so cosy.
  86. Aug 11, 2022
    Good game for its year. The story is engaging and exciting. Atmosphere and music are good. When I look at most people, the main reason why the game is loved is the hallucinations seen in the game. That's the part I liked too. Compared to Resident Evil, nothing surprised me. Resident Evil games are still better in my opinion. We can use magic in Eternal, it's nice, but it's not fun to useGood game for its year. The story is engaging and exciting. Atmosphere and music are good. When I look at most people, the main reason why the game is loved is the hallucinations seen in the game. That's the part I liked too. Compared to Resident Evil, nothing surprised me. Resident Evil games are still better in my opinion. We can use magic in Eternal, it's nice, but it's not fun to use and we usually use it to solve puzzles and puzzles are boring. Level desing is not very good, especially repetitive towards the end of the game. Levels are very similar and often linear. The use of firearms is weak. Generally, the melee weapon is more useful. Boss fights not bad. Enemy variety is low. It was a different gameplay experience. Even though it's annoying most of the time... Expand
  87. Jul 20, 2022
    Its certainly an unique game but its no Silent Hill.
    Its certainly an unique game but its no Silent Hill.
    For a 20 years old fixed camera game it still holds out really well and even the combat isnt that bad. The story is told in an interesting way spanning through time and culture changes but i dont find it scary in the least and some of it comes of as goofy and cheesy specially since the game is so easy and you are mostly going through very linear levels with elementar puzzles that dont take even a second to solve, it really doesnt has none of the gravitas of the real horror fixed camera game classics like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Crimson Butterfly, and so on.
  88. Jan 23, 2022
    Un clásico del terror imprescindible. Manejaremos distintos personajes, mientras la protagonista va descubriendo el pasado de sus antepasados. Con un nivel de cordura que nos obligaba a equilibrarlo para no tener alucinaciones. Con un sistema de combate que nos permitía atacar en una extremidad determinada en el cuerpo de nuestro enemigo. Combinaciones de magias que nos aportaban defensa,Un clásico del terror imprescindible. Manejaremos distintos personajes, mientras la protagonista va descubriendo el pasado de sus antepasados. Con un nivel de cordura que nos obligaba a equilibrarlo para no tener alucinaciones. Con un sistema de combate que nos permitía atacar en una extremidad determinada en el cuerpo de nuestro enemigo. Combinaciones de magias que nos aportaban defensa, fuerza o salud mental. Sino lo has jugado te estas perdiendo una obra maestra. Su secuela fue cancelada porque el estudio quedo en bancarrota... Una gema genuinamente olvidada. Expand
  89. Jul 9, 2022
    This game is simply amazing in his own unique way. I rate it 10 out of 10 because of the unique and intense experience this game has given me. I was not able to stop playing and completed it six times.

There are some sanity effects that are technically outdated and are not able to trick you anymore, but some of them, are able to create what the f..k moments even today. The voice

The voice acting, sound and music is fantastic and creates a deep and scary atmosphere. The story feels so big, because the threat the characters have to face comes from another dimension and is an indescribable superior force.

So the game is very good at it, to show that the protagonists are only normal humans who have to fight against something which is beyond their imagination.

The gameplay itself is the early 2000's standard. However the controls is way better than in the resident evil games at that time. The magic system gives the player some room to experiment with and add some interesting mechanics to the basic combat.

The atmosphere of the different locations switches between mysterious, threatening and scaring. Sometimes in a very dynamic way.

All in all an All-Time-Classic and it definitely manages to catch the spirit of the Lovecraft-horror.

#4 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2002
#4 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2002

Universal acclaim - based on 41 Critic Reviews

Developers of 3D games should study the camerawork in "Eternal Darkness." It's quite simply a stunning technical achievement.
  2. Play Magazine
    All of this delightful action and horror comes wrapped in a bone-chilling soundtrack with enough chanting and "what the hell was that?" sound effects to sen dyou running for the light switch. [Aug 2002, p.62]
    From cover to cover this game was full of originality.