8.4

1. DalP.
    Jan 5, 2005
    You get to play Spider-Man - forget the missions, while just get in the way in my opinion - the real fun is just being able to swing around town, from one end of the city to another. A blast for any fans of the web-swinger.
  2. DWP
    Nov 12, 2004
    This game offers the full spider-man experience.
  3. moloko
    Mar 15, 2006
    A worthwhile purchase for the now reduced price. Bruce Campbell is somewhat humorous as he gives you advice and hints throughout, but the funniest parts to me are the awful story cutscenes and dialogue with citizens, though I doubt this was actually intentional. Like many other games, dialogue has that familiar unrealistic flow (awkward pauses when one character finishes speaking), and A worthwhile purchase for the now reduced price. Bruce Campbell is somewhat humorous as he gives you advice and hints throughout, but the funniest parts to me are the awful story cutscenes and dialogue with citizens, though I doubt this was actually intentional. Like many other games, dialogue has that familiar unrealistic flow (awkward pauses when one character finishes speaking), and everyone other than the main characters who you interact with are overly angular, extremely low-poly, and worstly, their mouths don't move when they are speaking. Sorta like a throwback to 32/64-bit games. This really does detract quite a bit from the game. Freely swinging around the city and climbing buildings is cool though. If it weren't for this, I think the old Spiderman game (PSX, Dreamcast, N64 and PC) would have been the better game. The GC controller is also an issue, as the analog trigger buttons have way too much travel before they 'click' given what they are assigned to in this game. They're implemented very well in some other games, but here they really needed to be digital. This of course isn't the developer's fault, they didn't design it. Expand
  4. Jan 1, 2012
    Spider-man 2 is the best movie based game I ever played. Gameplay: You get to play Spider-Man and explore New York City by web swing. You can also fight crime, help citizens, deliver pizzas etc. as you travel around the city. Story: They also have a story mode divided into 17 chapters. The story mode is awesome filled with action. Graphics: There are 3 levels of graphicSpider-man 2 is the best movie based game I ever played. Gameplay: You get to play Spider-Man and explore New York City by web swing. You can also fight crime, help citizens, deliver pizzas etc. as you travel around the city. Story: They also have a story mode divided into 17 chapters. The story mode is awesome filled with action. Graphics: There are 3 levels of graphic scenes from the game. - Graphical Story Scene: Uncommon scenes in story mode. The scenes are the most graphical scenes in the game. The graphics are so graphical like its from the scene from the movie Spider-Man 2. - Regular Story Scene: Also scenes from story mode. Unlike the Graphical Story Scene, the Regular Story Scene is less graphical. Graphics from the gameplay, but with moving mouths, slow camera movement, body language, and body movement. - Gameplay Scene: Gameplay and story scenes during gameplay. Least graphical in the game. Unlike Regular Story Scene, the mouths don't move, some fast camera movement, some body language, and some body movement. Design: The designs are great, with Spiderman web swinging on the buildings, use special attacks to defeat enemies easier, and Spider Reflexes with slowing down effects. Gameplay: 9.5 Story: 9.5 Graphics: 7.5 Design: 9 Overall: 9.0 Expand
  5. May 31, 2013
    This game is a classic. Exploring the city is very fun and the web swinging is great. Mysterio scared the hell out of me when I was kid and the Doc Ock boss battles were very cool. All Spidey fans should play this game.
  6. Feb 25, 2018
    The 2002 "Spider-Man: The Movie" video game shocked many because of the fact that it was a licensed game based on a superhero film that actually turned out good. Of course, seeing how well they did with that game, Activision had no problem tasking Treyarch with the development of the video game adaptation of "Spider-Man 2." 'Twas a good decision, because the game is very good.
    "Spider-Man
    "Spider-Man 2" takes many steps to make huge improvements on the first game, introducing a more realistic swinging mechanic (you can't just shoot a web in the sky now), Spider-Man is no longer allergic to pavement, there's a massive open-world to explore and so much to do. The game is fun, fast, and exciting, and it captures the plot of the film well, while also showing fearlessness in the ability to deviate from the plot in many ways.
    All that said, I'm not quite sure if I find the game to be leaps and bounds better than the first one. Some of the side missions can get repetitive (especially the stupid balloon sidequests), which might make you loathe seeing "Get ____ more Hero Points" on your To-Do List. On top of that, the controls/camera are a little bit sloppy, the voice acting is nothing special, and while the city of New York looks nice, the character models are not very pretty, even in the CGI cutscenes. In fact, I'd argue that the previous game has better character models than this one.
    Either way, though, Treyarch has definitely put plenty of effort into "Spider-Man 2," and the end result is a great game that any fan of Spider-Man, be it the films or the comics, should definitely play.
    Final rating: 8 out of 10 "Great"
  7. Jun 22, 2014
    Unlike the first game, he has an open map, that makes it more interesting, open the map you can explore to find alternative missions, which may range from assaults to car thefts, but what I do not like this game, is that I I think the fight it simple and basic, comes to be the boring times, but in the end, is a good game.
  8. Feb 16, 2016
    This game is criminally underrated. Not only is it a fantastic game, but I seriously think it's one of the greatest games of ALL TIME. Seriously, it's that good. It's gotta be in the low 20s. Everything about this game is just so beautiful. It's hard to describe, so I'll just kinda brute force into the review - it's Grand Theft Spider-Man. Basically, it's an open world game that has a mainThis game is criminally underrated. Not only is it a fantastic game, but I seriously think it's one of the greatest games of ALL TIME. Seriously, it's that good. It's gotta be in the low 20s. Everything about this game is just so beautiful. It's hard to describe, so I'll just kinda brute force into the review - it's Grand Theft Spider-Man. Basically, it's an open world game that has a main storyline but also contains off-missions you can do on the side. The only complaints I can list of the top of my head is that sometimes the camera is sometimes a little buggy when climbing on narrow walls, two missions in particular were tedious, and the NPCs look like garbage, but other than that, the physics engine is outstanding - it's fast, but you know what you're doing. New York City is great-looking for the PS2 or Gamecube, I've played through the game easily half a dozen times and I've never had a lag spike no matter how many explosions were on the screen, the render distance is decent enough for the time, the missions are fun, and the combat system is pretty great. To give you a quick example, the game only has one combo you'll really need to use. And that's the spam whatever the respective attack button combo. But why use it when you can grab someone? Swing up to the nearest building, and suplex them off of it? Why do that when it's so much faster to punch them out? I'll tell you why. It's because it's fun. Not to mention, the ragdoll physics are hilarious. It's seriously something special to hurl someone's helpless body off into traffic, with the 2000s-era voice acting echoing "aww maaaan, not coooool." as they get hit by a taxi, as the taxi speeds into the edge of the render distance.

In Spider-Man 2, you'll rarely die. But when you do, you either get two feelings. You either purposely hurled yourself off the Empire State Building with the last thing you hear being "Jeez Louise! It's always something in this town!" as the NPC ignores the fact that Spider-Man's ragdoll body just did 5 midair cartwheels after bounding off the pavement because A) it's funny to watch, or B) you needed to restore your health. But say you get punched real good by one of the tougher thugs and Spider-Man gets knocked out cold. Ouch. Well, it sucks that you died, but you hardly get a noticeable penalty for it. It doesn't give you any Game Over music, it lets you continue. Spider-Man flops onto the street, it gives you whatever the death message says that I forgot because my PS2 is down at my Beach House, you press the respective confirmation button, nearly no loading screen, pop. Spider-Man begins existing again. It might sound like a lazy respawn button, but it adds so much if you think about it. One, if a tough boss kills you, say, Rhino just smacked you real good with his horns and knocked out that half-circle that was once your health, you get to try again. Instantly. It lets you try again because you're a hero. It's simulating that you're a hero. There's no "I gotta go back and get that one extra combo at the store to beat Rhino" it's "I'm gonna try again to beat Rhino." And that's really what this game is - it's a superhero simulator. It's not flying through rings coughcough, it's, she got robbed, and she got robbed too. I better help the closest one and when I'm done pounding that thug into dust I'll go help that other chick.

It really is a fantastic game. One of the best in my book - it's worth not "just a play", it's worth PLAYING to completion. The problem is that it's a little hard to come by now, be expected to drop 40 bucks for a used Gamecube era game.
  9. Aug 3, 2016
    I am very surprised this was made by Activison cause usually I give activison games a 0-8 but never a 10 cause this game is very fun and memorable by critics and fans.
  10. Sep 28, 2019
    The movies may not have been good, but the game is just so much fun! There’s a lot to do besides the main story, getting new combos is useful and entertaining, and how the bad guys are basically rag dolls is so stupidly hilarious that I have spent hours just fighting them and doing new dumb **** The nostalgia factor may make me biased, but to this day it still holds a pretty strong replayThe movies may not have been good, but the game is just so much fun! There’s a lot to do besides the main story, getting new combos is useful and entertaining, and how the bad guys are basically rag dolls is so stupidly hilarious that I have spent hours just fighting them and doing new dumb **** The nostalgia factor may make me biased, but to this day it still holds a pretty strong replay value. A classic, without a question Expand

#22 Most Discussed GameCube Game of 2004
#10 Most Shared GameCube Game of 2004

1. But there are still niggles that stop the game for reaching the height of a classic. The repetition and the frustrating boss battles are the worst offenders. Despite this, Spider-Man 2 is heartily recommended.
  2. Combat is not as cleanly executed as it should be...Secondly, the game was obviously too short.
  3. AceGamez
    As much fun as swinging around the city and helping random people is, Spider-Man 2 could have been an absolutely amazing title had the developers spent a little more time crafting better missions and crimes to stop and actually giving the enemy some AI instead of patterns to repeat.