8.5

1. Feb 16, 2021
    FFVI is a mediocre game, the massive amounts of RPGs out there are better. This is one of the worst experiences you can have playing a game. Combat is a complete joke, even by FF standards. Even bosses go down after just a few attacks. Nothing in this game can even remotely pose a threat to you, yet it insists on assaulting you with random encounters every few steps. It's filled with bugsFFVI is a mediocre game, the massive amounts of RPGs out there are better. This is one of the worst experiences you can have playing a game. Combat is a complete joke, even by FF standards. Even bosses go down after just a few attacks. Nothing in this game can even remotely pose a threat to you, yet it insists on assaulting you with random encounters every few steps. It's filled with bugs and mechanics that break the balance in half

But what irked me the most was how godawful the writing is. FF6 is a game that clearly wants players to be invested in the story, yet it never bothers to give any of the characters a real emotional stake in that story. Terra, ostensibly the protagonist, spends almost the entire game in a fugue state and going 'what's going on? aw, my amnesia, aw, my head'. At one point, Banon, the rebel leader, even asks her if she wants to help the rebellion. You can in fact answer no to this question, and if you do it repeatedly, the game actually accepts this answer. Guess what? The game completely ignores your answer and just continues with Terra helping the rebels. How on earth did they go with this script? FF6 is a story where the protagonist literally does not give a **** so why should the player?

All of the characters ring completely hollow. Cyan is introduced, and within minutes his kingdom and family are poisoned to death, and, minutes later he's cracking jokes about being an old geezer who's clumsy with Magitek mech, and we are supposed to take him seriously as a character and empathize with him. Edgar, a literal king, joins the rebels, yet there's not a single line of dialogue in the game where he expresses any doubt or hesitation or other human emotion about abandoning the safety of his station. All of the characters are complete caricatures and it's impossible to take the story seriously as a result.
  2. Oct 25, 2014
    There are times when a 10 is not enough for a game, this one will be played and beloved for decades to come, it set the bar for what an rpg has to be, and has never been surpassed since, this is the peak of RPG gaming and the best final fantasy ever made. Its been a downhill since then for squaresoft.

The story is so detailed without getting boring (skyrim) so humanistic without being cheesy, sad without being depressive, and positive in the end as well.
    Characters are amazing, i actually dont like how developers abuse the cute anime look, but thanks to yoshikata amano's designs FF6 has some of the most charming guys around, you play with human beings this time, each one with their hopes and personal issues.

THE MUSIC! Top contender for the best soundtrack ever! in 16bit glory! A mix of classical and progressive influences, best soundtrack by Nobuo Uematsu ever, and he has done lots of them!
    Visually is also intense considering how old the game is, love how square toned down the palette for this one, goes along perfect with the story they are telling, which is epic and poetic.

Battles are not so hard but not so easy as well, they will give you the challenge you need to go along with the story without getting bored.

Not only the best rpg ever, but also one of the best videogames ever, if you hate rpgs play it to see what is all about.
  3. Jun 3, 2020
    No doubt this game is fun, but Square Enix ruins it by having blonde characters culturally appropriate every possible role in human civilization: monk, ninja, thief, king, painter. What happened to the good ole days when characters with black hair were the heroes. Japan will change its social conditioning schemes sometime in the future.
  4. Feb 23, 2014
    Final Fantasy VI has never gotten way better than this.

It's also the best app I've ever owned on my Ipad, hands down to the universal app. -Jonathan Bautista
  5. Jan 25, 2015
    Let me be clear from the start, this game is an absolute masterpiece but not on smartphones. The touch controls are really terrible, the game is really ugly (it looks like it was done with RPG maker) to such an extent that the original released in 1994 on the SNES is more beautiful. In addition, they facilitated the game for that casual will not be lost. This game on ios is a failure andLet me be clear from the start, this game is an absolute masterpiece but not on smartphones. The touch controls are really terrible, the game is really ugly (it looks like it was done with RPG maker) to such an extent that the original released in 1994 on the SNES is more beautiful. In addition, they facilitated the game for that casual will not be lost. This game on ios is a failure and square enix should stop to port his masterpieces on machines that are not even made for gaming and therefore have no reason to exist. Go buy the original on SNES or even the GBA version but not this """"remake""""".

Square Enix, please remake this game in 3D on the 3DS. This would be the best thing to do to honor a such masterpiece of the RPG.
  6. Jul 1, 2014
    Although I prefer Final Fantasy V overall because of it's superior job system, VI is certainly no slouch. The story and characters are awesome, the new graphics are great, the music is top notch, and the job system is still awesome. I recommend picking up Final Fantasy V, and when you finish that, buy this game. Both are amazing and I recommend them to everyone!
  7. Mar 3, 2014
    Sadly this is a slap in the face of Squaresoft and the people that worked so hard on FFVI on the SNES, let me give every one the right advice, if you want to play this game and not have it look like crap from new grounds go and get a PS vita or even a cheap DS and get the game that way, it will look better, or maybe just wait for a 3DS version that more then likely never come out.
  8. Feb 13, 2014
    Это классика! Это знать надо. Одна из лучших частей. очень хороший шанс купить шестую часть великой серии. Одна из лучших игр на SNES и GameCube. Советую ее
  9. Jul 11, 2014
    PSN/PS1 review:

PSN/PS1 review:

This game has a lot of fans, and I'm not gonna please them. The thing is, the game feels slow and drawn-out. You play for 10 hours and realize you've spent the majority pressing "fight" and waiting for your characters to deal a number of damage points to the sprite they're up against. The story is epic but not original or mindbending in any way. You could fit it in an manga comic and be done with it in 2 hours or less. The rest is transportation and grinding. The visionary quality of the game is apparent, but has been redone so many times it feels clichéd. On PS3, it makes for a bigger experience to play Ni No Kuni. On portable systems, there's Earthbound or Chrono Trigger or even just something that isn't a grindy JRPG (ebooks are great).

I will disclose that I am only halfway through the game, but this afternoon I ragequit after a long sequence of dialogues after a boss fight followed by sudden game over on the world screen because I was left with a useless character and didn't save right away. It might have been my own mistake, but the save system is unforgiving at times, and not in the exciting Dark Souls way, but in the grindy repetitive way where you consider whether you would even do the work for money.

I recommend the game to those who have some special reason to play the game (what do I know, man, it's your life). But to the average gamer, I warn you. It's a long and grindy process.

Oh wait, I forgot about the soundtrack. It is absolutely masterful and kinda makes the game worth sticking with. The soundtrack is the only reason I think 5/10 might be too low a score.
  10. Dec 14, 2016
    PRO:-Great Character
    -Amazing soundtrack
    -Good turn base gameplay -Amazing story -Has one of the best villains in gaming -You will feel sorry and sad for the character even though the graphics is crap compared to games nowadays but they manage to pull off those emotional moments perfectly -It's not that expensive CON:-Starts really slow,like really slow -Visual not that great If
    PRO:-Great Character
    -Amazing soundtrack
    -Good turn base gameplay
    -Amazing story
    -Has one of the best villains in gaming
    nowadays but they manage to pull off those emotional moments perfectly
    -It's not that expensive
    CON:-Starts really slow,like really slow
    -Visual not that great
    If you can pass the slow start and the visuals you will experience one of the best RPG out there
  11. May 6, 2014
    The emulator on my ipod did fare WAY better plus it was free. It's a good ol' tactical Final Fantasy unlike those modern Final Fantasy's (Fantasies?) for casuals. The chiptune is great but if anyone says it's cliché, just know that this was a staple that reinforced those tropes all those years back. Bit pricey for a game I could just buy at a pawn shop for a $1.50. Has a bit of a challenge to it.
  12. Jul 22, 2015
    To start with flaws, FFVI has some minor problems such as the touch controls being iffy and stuff like the spell quick, the celestriad (economizer), or even the Soul of Thamasa breaking the game in late-game battles. However, there is also the second half of the game, in which it seems that the storyline has already ended ant the player is just hanging around grinding or completingTo start with flaws, FFVI has some minor problems such as the touch controls being iffy and stuff like the spell quick, the celestriad (economizer), or even the Soul of Thamasa breaking the game in late-game battles. However, there is also the second half of the game, in which it seems that the storyline has already ended ant the player is just hanging around grinding or completing pointless side quests.

That being said, the game is otherwise very well made. I loved this game on my first casual playthrough, and I am very hard on RPGs. That being said, when I try to review the game with as little of my own bias as possible, Final Fantasy VI is not the best game ever, it is not even the best Final Fantasy game in terms of storyline/music/battle system/replay value/etc. It was an amazing playthrough, but just not enough to be a 10/10, and the replay value isn't that great, because after the player knows how to get a celestriad, they can have a character use their most powerful spell 3-5 times per turn, and so Terra/Relm + Celestriad = monotonous battles that are too easy, and overall a waste of time.

As I mentioned, I am very hard on RPG's, and despite my overall negative sounding review, I do think this is one of the better RPG's made so far, and the ios version made it more casual friendly, and so I would recommend this game to anyone, particularly those new to the series/RPG's in general.
  13. Jul 7, 2016
    Wow. Just... wow.

I rarely rate a game a 10, but this deserves it.

They took a near-perfect game and made it better with intuitive touch controls, extra bosses, and more magicite.
  14. Mar 5, 2014
    Final Fantasy 6, better known as Final Fantasy 3 for the US audience, is a remake of the classic Super Nintendo RPG. It features a wide cast of unique characters that all boos their own unique skills and abilities.

It features multiple quests, side quests and plot lines, the game will keep you busy for a long time. It's colorful world and characters will keep you entertained for awhile. At $15.00 on the Apple store, at around 30-ish hours, the game is well worth the investment.

New added features include mostly re-done graphics. Some of them look brand new, some of them simply look like the old graphics with a smoothing texture added to them. The game also boosts a fast battle mode, that remembers you combat decisions and allows you to plow through battles without having to worry about making the same selections over and over again. Even better is the save cloud service that allows you to back up your data so you can carry over to other devices.

So why isn't this game rated "10" like so many reviewers have already rated it? There are a few reasons. To begin with, for some reason they made unnecessary dialog changes that don't have any rhyme or reason. The game's original dialog isn't necessarily overly aggressive or even mature so I can't understand the script changes.

Another thing was they re-named a lot of items in the game, which can make it a tad confusing, especially when it comes to betting items in the battle arena to unlock better equipment. Not all guides will use the same names or terminology which makes it sometimes confusing and frustrating.

The game's difficulty was also toned down quite a bit. I remember the Super Nintendo edition being much more difficult then this version is. You can actually beat the game without too many issues by being around level 40 or 50, but I managed to power level most of my guys to level 99 in under 30 hours. The majority of the time spent playing was side quests and unlocking new spells and such.

Finally, the game is largely anti-climatic, you spend the first half of the game trying to stop a evil empire from taking over the world, you spend the second part of the game, spending time trying to find your friends and save a broken world from utter destruction. The content up to the end is pretty epic and the ride is great, but the ending is the lowest point of the game.

The game ends with cut scenes of your party escaping the final dungeon and then flying off into the sunset with some simple dialog. If you manage to wait for the credits to roll by, there's another very short cut scene spouting nonsensical garbage dialog about the power of friendship and love.

You'd think for a world that was crushed by the hands of a mad man tripping on power, there'd be a better ending about world re-building, the struggle for survival in a world without magic and having to deal with the loss of loved ones. That isn't what you get and the ending kind of ruins the entire trip of the game.

You can save the game after it's all done, but re-loading the game only results in being back at the final save point before the final confrontation of the boss. I was really hoping there was some extra content, maybe involving cleaning up the world and helping the more peaceful kingdoms that managed to actually survive. There's no such extra content and would have been a boon if there was.

Is the game worth it? Yes, it's one of the best retail IOS app released on the Apple store right now, but that doesn't mean it isn't without it's flaws and it doesn't age as well as I had hoped. In the end, it's worth it for anyone who has never played this game before.
  15. Jan 7, 2018
    Extremely addicting, and frighteningly enjoyable.

Extremely addicting, and frighteningly enjoyable.

The battle system is simple but very addicting and fun. I never got bored of it and even now that I've completed the game i still feel a desire to go back in and continue leveling up my characters and to teach them all the best magic skills (the magicite system was great too, and it was really cool to see the precursors to later systems like FF7's materia).
    I also loved the immense variety of battle-styles/characters that they put in, which was executed really impressively (for the most part--never could get the hang of Setzer's slot-machine thing), but all in all it was great to have the characters actually feel like different people with different attributes, as opposed to just being blank-slates that only seem unique during cut-scenes.
    The characters themselves were very interesting and you really enjoyed getting to know more about them, but overall they weren't as engaging as some of the other more memorable FF crews and personalities. I think a lot of this boils down to the decision the game made to go the route of essentially having the whole cast of characters collectively be the "main character," as opposed to just 1 or 2 protagonists, which was itself a welcome and innovative way to go about it, but comes with the downside of characters that sometimes feel shoe-horned in or that you just don't care much about.

The game therefore is not flawless, and the immense hype around it seems to prevent people from legitimately criticizing some of its lesser aspects. The plot was quite simple & straightforward; not very complex or surprising, although the choice to have the second, open-world part of the game be a "world of ruin" was quite incredible and great, and really added weight to the circumstances and made the stakes feel real and immense. This game definitely comes with its fair share of traditional Final Fantasy optimism and lightheartedness however, but in the good, endearing way that we have come to expect from FF titles.
    The villain, while very enjoyable and of course iconic, was really quite bare-bones and lacked relatable motivations. It was cool to see a baddie who was essentially evil just for the sake of being evil, kind of like the idea of the Joker in The Dark Knight where "some people just want to see the world burn", but overall he acted very "cliche bad-guy" in many respects and his story was not really explored. And as touched on before, I didn't really care much about a few of the characters and at times it felt like some were just thrown in for the sake of putting more characters into the game, done ways didn't really add to the plot or the story.
    A lot of these criticism, I think, are due to the problem that arises from trying to rate a classic game decades after its release, in which time so many other games have come out and continuously raised the bar higher with all of their innovation and improvement upon what has been done in the past. If I had played this when it first came out I'm sure it would have been a revolutionary experience (like FFVII was for me) and that I would have rated it a 10/10. I can definitely see how much of an achievement this game was for that time period and why there is so much hype surrounding it now. It was one of the first successful pioneers of providing a truly cinematic experience through the medium of gaming, and of treating a game as really something more than just, well, a game.
    This was definitely one of the best and most enjoyable RPGs I have ever played, but I can only rate it within the framework of the expectations that I have formed through all of my other previous gaming experiences (which includes FF7, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, and 15 as well, for starters) and in that respect it was not without some faults. However, the fact that it holds up so masterfully even today in 2018, and that it was able to engage me to such an extent even now, is testimony to just how special this game really is.

I give it an 8.5/10, with a well-deserved *instant classic* status attached to it, though, at this point, that hardly needs to be said.
  16. Jul 22, 2017
    This is a really good RPG. This is my first Final Fantasy game, and I'm sold. The story is charming, the characters are lovable, and the gameplay is phenomenal. The turn-based combat is super interesting.
    Good game, definitely worth the $15.
  17. Jul 8, 2020
    Final Fantasy VI is the best RPG GAME ever made. Great story, awesome gameplay, very very very good music (the best music of all games) only lack graphic quality by nowadays standard...

I hope Square Enix will make a better FINAL FANTASY VI REMAKE soon on PS5.
  18. Aug 7, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Final Fantasy VI will always be along with Final Fantasy VII, the best Final Fantasy game, and one of the best games of all time. Despite the limitations of what they can produce with graphics and gameplay at the time, Square Enix provide us with a breathtaking story, game and experience. Expand
  19. Jan 21, 2021
    FF VI is definite a model in RPG games even now.
    So many gameplay designs and role designs are still a standard to current games.
    I love the scenario and each role's special skill/ability.
    I hope one day it can be REMASTER like FF7R, but I will leave this hope to my grandchild.
  20. Mar 30, 2021
    Really the pinnacle of all classic JRPGs.
    The time and effort and love that was put into this shows, and still holds up even in its original form to this very day.
  21. May 2, 2021
    Bad
    -can’t feel level ups because it switches your party a lot, DQ4 did this well
    -Magitek Factory is a convoluted mess -feels like little parts of story are missing, you don’t understand why a character changed -this mine cart video is **** -sad music vibe is too constant -shops still open when city is on fire and everyone is running around, very immersion breaking -lots of people
    Bad
    -can’t feel level ups because it switches your party a lot, DQ4 did this well
    -Magitek Factory is a convoluted mess
    -this mine cart video is ****
    -sad music vibe is too constant
    -lots of people sadly putting their head down and sayings someone’s name with a dot dot dot
    -people will just say stuff to each other out of the blue, like will I ever be able to love someone, when it makes absolutely no sense and you’re supposed to think it’s soulful writing, it’s bad, I think most fans played this when they were just starting teen-hood and thought because it was sad it was cool adult writing

Good
    -art design minus ponytails
    -exciting surprises
    -atmosphere
    -Espers add a cool and slightly confusing layer to leveling up a character

Universal acclaim - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 13, 2014
    A not so great conversion of one of the best JRPG ever created. Still, a must have for almost every gamer.
  2. Feb 20, 2014
    Despite the strangeness of some of its surface-level changes, Final Fantasy VI has aged surprisingly well, and holds up beautifully on iOS.
  3. Feb 18, 2014
    Though probably not the definitive Final Fantasy VI experience, this iOS version succeeds in preserving the essence of the original beneath its cosmetic alterations.