Nintendo 64
8.9

Watch Now
Buy on

1. Dec 1, 2014
    Do i hear worst star fox game ever? There aren't mini mushrooms in this one, And for some reason you can't ground pound Ridiculous!! and worst of all there is no super sonic power up.
  2. Dec 1, 2014
    Seriously? This is a Star Fox game? Where did Master Chief go exactly? Where are the mini games after each turn? This is by far, the worst Star Fox game to date. I can't believe this was actually made. Why is tripping still in the game? Why are the guns so unbalanced? I would love to have all of these questions answered, but it still wouldn't fix this broken game.
  3. Ghostbuddy
    Apr 18, 2008
    Star Fox was a great achievement. Everything from its addicting gameplay, to its ridicious but memorable dialouge makes this a great game. This was the first game that I played that had multiple plot paths and multiple endings. This was the first game I played like crazy. But it certainly wasn't the last. It has been 11 years since I played this game as a young child. But I still Star Fox was a great achievement. Everything from its addicting gameplay, to its ridicious but memorable dialouge makes this a great game. This was the first game that I played that had multiple plot paths and multiple endings. This was the first game I played like crazy. But it certainly wasn't the last. It has been 11 years since I played this game as a young child. But I still remember this game fondly. Expand
  4. AxewhipeS.
    Jan 25, 2008
    Classic game. One of the Top Nintendo 64 games The game plays great, The Music is epic, The Story is memorable, The Voice acting is good but repetitive ( "Do a barrel roll!" ) & Once you beat the game you can beat it again in a totally new way. There is even a multiplayer option which isn't as bad as people tell me. I find the multiplayer fun, It's no Super Smash Bros. but still Classic game. One of the Top Nintendo 64 games The game plays great, The Music is epic, The Story is memorable, The Voice acting is good but repetitive ( "Do a barrel roll!" ) & Once you beat the game you can beat it again in a totally new way. There is even a multiplayer option which isn't as bad as people tell me. I find the multiplayer fun, It's no Super Smash Bros. but still fun. Overall the new missions will keep you coming back & It is so much fun you will play the old & new missions & you may play so much you may get to know the voice acting by heart. Expand
  5. BenjaminB.
    May 10, 2007
    Actually I don't like these kind of games, but when I played star fox 64 I was overwhelmed. it has a great gameplay, an absolutely fair and balanced difficulty, a great atmosphere and (for the 64) great graphics. the only problem is that it's just too short.
  6. RobertC.
    Mar 12, 2004
    Golly...in all honesty, I could not put this game down. I remember I played for six hours straight on many occasions...just wow.
  7. JonathanG.
    May 21, 2006
    Definitely one of the best in my book. This game is a true classic. Even though I have beaten is 50 I still love to spend the 40 min. beating it. I do wish that you could save your progress throught the story though. Way better than the GC star fox games.
  8. BenjaminP
    Sep 25, 2007
    Wow! I've never expected N64 games can have perfect graphics! It has wonderful storyline, and it's very addictive. Star Fox 64 is a game that never gets old.
  9. YanniT.
    Jan 11, 2004
    I have beat this game in every possible way and i still play at least one hour a day!!!!!!!!!
  10. MikeM.
    Apr 27, 2007
    This game is certainly dated. That being said, it's release on Wii's Virtual Console definitely brought back this game. With past failures (Adventures and Assault, although they are both great games, they just didn't fall into the same category as this one.), this game brings back the old and faithfuls inside all of us, and makes us want to go back to 1997 and be children This game is certainly dated. That being said, it's release on Wii's Virtual Console definitely brought back this game. With past failures (Adventures and Assault, although they are both great games, they just didn't fall into the same category as this one.), this game brings back the old and faithfuls inside all of us, and makes us want to go back to 1997 and be children (or whatever you were then.) Expand
  11. Mar 22, 2011
    star fox on the SNES was alot of fun and the N64 version is even better with multiple paths extending the amount of times you can play it along with very nice graphics for its day . the new addition of taking you into free roam combat and fighting the evil star wolf force was alot of fun . if you loved the old star fox you will love the 64 version . now why cant they make a great star foxstar fox on the SNES was alot of fun and the N64 version is even better with multiple paths extending the amount of times you can play it along with very nice graphics for its day . the new addition of taking you into free roam combat and fighting the evil star wolf force was alot of fun . if you loved the old star fox you will love the 64 version . now why cant they make a great star fox game like this for the wii? Expand
  12. Jan 19, 2011
    I came to play this game late. Never really interested, but it still tried it. I loved it and I am pretty sure I played from start to finish in one sitting... that sounds too insane but I think it's accurate.
  13. Jan 10, 2011
    Ah yes. Good ol' Lylat Wars. (Or Star Fox 64) Surely one of the greatest games of all time. The gameplay is really fun and it has replay value due to its multiple endings. The graphics are great for an N64 game. The controls are responsive and do a great job to navigate you through its challenging levels. The characters are great and have varied personalities even though Slippy is well,Ah yes. Good ol' Lylat Wars. (Or Star Fox 64) Surely one of the greatest games of all time. The gameplay is really fun and it has replay value due to its multiple endings. The graphics are great for an N64 game. The controls are responsive and do a great job to navigate you through its challenging levels. The characters are great and have varied personalities even though Slippy is well, himself. Also, luckily Panther isn't in the game. Very lucky. It does get repetitive though... It's still a classic and I'd give a 9.5 if I could, but I can't. Unfortunately for poor of Fox and crew the later sequels are pretty bad (well, Star Fox Assault...ergh...). Hope they return to their glory days. I've also heard that Platinum Games want to make a Star Fox Game. Hope it works if they do get to it... Expand
  14. Aug 14, 2011
    A thoroughly original and addictive game with fluid gameplay and a large cast of characters. Fast paced and large scale action make this a game that showed what the N64 was capable of. Maneuvering in all range battles can often be tricky but apart from this there is little that holds the game back.
  15. Feb 8, 2012
    You will never find a greater game than this. If you plan on getting playing on the Nintendo 64 ever and you haven't played this, you are missing out on one of the greatest 64 games conceived. Memorable characters and lines (Do a barrel roll!), fun combat, and replayibility up the whazoo.
  16. Mar 3, 2013
    Star Fox 64 has great graphics, good controls and i like that there is more than one route to complete the game. The major problem is the difficulty, its way to easy. However its fun.
  17. Aug 14, 2016
    Game: Star Fox 64
    Genre: Rail Shooter
    Publisher/Developer: Nintendo System: Nintendo 64 (N64) Total Score: 84/100 Value Score: 8.4/10 • Story: 8/10 • Characters: 9/10 • GamePlay: 8/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 9/10 • Length: 6/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 8/10 Pros +Improved visuals +Improved voice acting +Story and characters improved from
    Game: Star Fox 64
    Genre: Rail Shooter
    Publisher/Developer: Nintendo
    System: Nintendo 64 (N64)
    Total Score: 84/100

• Music: 9/10
    • Length: 6/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 8/10

Pros
    +Improved visuals
    +Improved voice acting
    +Story and characters improved from SNES version
    +3 different paths like the first game with each one being a different set of difficulty

Cons
    -Very short
    -No control option like the SNES version
    -Voice acting from some characters can be annoying (i.e. Slippy)
    -Allies have bad AI when it comes to getting support in battle
    -In order to get to other areas , you must accomplish certain task to get a alternate end result of each level
  18. Jan 7, 2012
    Star Fox might not be the benchmark for flight simulators (and I call it that loosely) and the length may not be the longest, but it is non the less a great game that still can be a lot of fun. Don't expect a legendary game, but don't be surprised if you find yourself getting the urge to play despite the fact it is 15 years old.
  19. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This a really fun game and i love it you feel awesome when you are piloting the arwing its really addicting and shooting things just gives you an awesome feeling the sad thing is this game is way to short for asfun as it is there are different levels to unlock through doing certain things like if you save the base and defeat star wolf on one mission then you can have a choice but if you fail to do so you are stuck with only the choice of one level all in all its a good game though Expand
  20. Mar 4, 2012
    Great graphics for the game system, and a wonderful story that has had me hooked for years. It has addicting game play that allows you to keep playing the game over and over again. It is the best game of the star fox franchise, the best game on the nintendo 64, and i think the best video game overall.
  21. Apr 20, 2013
    One of the greatest games I've ever played and very close to being the best N64 game of all time. Replayability is practically endless and the game's challenging and varies enough for you to want to keep playing.
  22. May 23, 2012

Star Fox 64

Graphics 9/10- look amazing, extremely detailed environments and textures for N64 standards. The rumble pack was used for the first time in this game, enhancing the vibrating controller experience. Some points have enemies and texture pop-ups a bit too close to the player. Many items and textures can fit on screen, but this sometimes results in the game taking a slowdown, fortunately this only seems to happen on the non-arwing stages. The laser blasts and bombs are colorful and cartoonish.

Sound 8/10- pretty solid, voice acting is corny but well done, sound effects are awesome to hear and correspond with the gameplay perfectly. The music and soundtrack differs in each linear stage and some sandbox stages, giving an atmospheric feel for the level design and situational urgency it has to offer. The boss music is the same throughout the game minus the final boss and Star Wolf's theme, but the track itself is pretty stimulating and appropriate. Gameplay 9/10- addictive, and stimulating, so much is happening on screen at once, enemy variety certainly helps and even though some may be disappointed with the generic cookie-cutter enemies that die with one shot and lack of difficulty. Choosing multiple paths and two different endings give it much replay ability value. Boss fights are fought in either a sandbox or POV fashion. They are generally easy and not too challenging, though there are some exceptions. Minus the sandbox levels, each stage ends with a boss battle. Defeating these bosses under certain conditions can unlock multiple paths to take upon completion, but you arenâ
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    Uno de los mejores juegos de la nintendo 64 y de la historia en su género. Los personajes están llenos de carisma, múltiples caminos alternativos en la historia, secretos, curiosidades y muchas cosas más que lo hacen muy rejugable. Divertidísimo.
  24. Aug 16, 2012
    Star Fox 64 is one of those amazing games that cannot be described in words, as nothing I can say will be adequate enough to describe an amazing thing that can only be experience firsthand. This is a game you simply must try.
  25. Jun 27, 2013
    Star Fox 64 is the best Star Fox game to date. Everything about it, from the awesome graphics to the crazy shooter action, is near perfect. You can't go wrong with this game. The only gripe I have with this game is Peppy the freaking toad. God, he's annoying.
  26. Sep 11, 2013
    Man I really love this game. I played this game all the time when I was a kid, and now looking back on it, Star Fox 64 was better than I ever remembered. And hey who could forget the classic quote "Do a Barrel Roll!"? But Slippy Toad though has to be the most annoying character in this game. But so with great music wonderful graphics and addicting gameplay, Star Fox 64 is a classic. Score: 4/5.
  27. Sep 23, 2013
    Star Fox is one of the most popular games on the N64, and for good reason too; it brought new ideas to the video gaming board. Sure, Star Fox wasn't the first piloting game, but it was the first piloting game to give the player a 3D perspective of the whole game (Or at least the first one to master it). It may not seem like a huge deal, but Super Mario 64 did the same thing with showingStar Fox is one of the most popular games on the N64, and for good reason too; it brought new ideas to the video gaming board. Sure, Star Fox wasn't the first piloting game, but it was the first piloting game to give the player a 3D perspective of the whole game (Or at least the first one to master it). It may not seem like a huge deal, but Super Mario 64 did the same thing with showing the possibilities of a 3D game, and it was one of the greatest games made.
    The keyword to this whole situation is "Master". For a game to be good, you have to expand and evaluate on the ideas and concepts on a game. To master a game, you have to do that, plus achieve every subconscious way to attract the player. Star Fox did this, and quite well at that. It put its new mechanics to the test, not with gimmicks, but with trivial or optional situations. It found a way to have mini-obstacles in the game for the player to experiment with, like random hoops or enemy formations. It also excelled in the combat system as well. It accomplished great control-ability, and smooth movement which gave the player a feel of complete control, especially with moves like the famous "Barrel roll".
    The main thing that makes Star Fox so great is that it's hard to find anything wrong with the game. Though, there are the cheesy lines and acting, the over-easy levels at times, and the lack of cooperation with teammates, those problems are minor. You have to look at the game as a whole, and look at what appealed to you the most. In Star Fox 64, there is much to appeal to you, and you will most definitely come back to play again (Most likely to find out how to play on those other planets).
  28. May 27, 2014
    Graphics: 8.0 Sound: 9.0 Gameplay: 9.0 Fun/Story: 8.2

Good graphics (one of the first N64 games), great replay value and outstanding gameplay. Good multiplayer.
  29. Jun 16, 2018
    Still the best in the series, sadly (though I highly recommend the 3DS remake, which is technically a better game and features lots of improvements and enhancements). The gold standard for space shooters on rails, with tons of personality and fun. My only complaint is the lack of a save feature.
  30. Jun 21, 2014
    This is the game that got me into star fox even though I played it through emulation. I think this game is the best in the franchise and is by far the fastest. This game also offers some of the best graphics that the n64 is capable of along with good quality music ( not always good though). The joystick makes the game play smoothly and the controls are easy to learn because peppy tells youThis is the game that got me into star fox even though I played it through emulation. I think this game is the best in the franchise and is by far the fastest. This game also offers some of the best graphics that the n64 is capable of along with good quality music ( not always good though). The joystick makes the game play smoothly and the controls are easy to learn because peppy tells you during the level like how to do a barrel roll at the begining. Some bad things are fairly minor but beware on the last level there is a possibility you won't go down the tunnel to the final boss you must reset the game. Overall a good game with a major bug that is rare to find But I say get it on the 3ds if you don't have an n64 or if you have an emulator I say download it Expand
  31. Jun 30, 2014
    This game is awesome fun. The story is cheesy but I loved the characters as a kid (and still do) and the missions were varied and always fun (as well as challenging). Being unable to save during the single-player was a bit of a pain however and the game was pretty short but very high on replay value. The multiplayer was really fun too although it could have done with a few more maps orThis game is awesome fun. The story is cheesy but I loved the characters as a kid (and still do) and the missions were varied and always fun (as well as challenging). Being unable to save during the single-player was a bit of a pain however and the game was pretty short but very high on replay value. The multiplayer was really fun too although it could have done with a few more maps or modes. It's still my favourite space-shooter to this day. Expand
  32. Apr 30, 2016
    One the classics and most memorable games in the N64 library. The polygon graphics, gameplay, story, and dialog are so memorable and influential, that Star Fox games today still try and model their design around this game.

Pros: -Who would've thought that polygon graphics could look so good? -Controls is fluent and comfortable -The characters are lovable and the dialog is ridiculous,

Pros:
    -Who would've thought that polygon graphics could look so good?
    -Controls is fluent and comfortable
    -The characters are lovable and the dialog is ridiculous, yet alluring
    -Iconic music that sounds even better on a soundtrack

Cons:
    -Get your s*** together, Slippy
    -For a console that now allows saving features either in the game or from a memory card, for Star Fox, there is still NO SAVE FEATURE!
  33. Jul 8, 2015
    Solid graphics, extremely high replay value, interesting characters and levels, sufficient story-line...even the sound effects and music are pretty legit. Almost twenty years later, and this N64 game is still fun to play.
  34. May 21, 2018
    El mejor juego de la saga star fox, y uno de los mejores juegos de naves de la historia, personajes carismaticos y batallas extraordinarias, un must have de N64
  35. Apr 19, 2016
    Star Fox es divertido, rectifico, MUY divertido. Es un videojuego en toda regla que vicia y te invita a repetir una y otra vez los niveles prácticamente sin cansarte y consiguiendo que te los aprendas de memoria para conseguir la máxima puntuación.
    La unica pega que le doy es la historia que es sencilla y muy corta. Aunque tiene cierto encanto a la hora de saber un poquito del padre de Fox. Pero sin profundidad.
    En cuanto a música, gameplay y gráficos es una maravilla.
  36. Feb 17, 2016
    Star Fox 64 doesn't feel like a sequel to the original Star Fox game. According to the Internet, it was revealed that Star Fox 2 would be the sequel to the original Star Fox game, but that was cancelled all together. Star Fox 64, on the other hand, feels more like a remake of the original Star Fox game for your Nintendo 64 and it manages to hold what the original has in hand.
  37. Apr 24, 2016
    Star Fox 64 sem dúvida um dos melhores jogos que eu tive o prazer de jogar, gráficos maravilhosos para época, jogabilidade incrível, trilha sonora muito boa, uma boa historia, vários caminhos para se fazer, é uma diversão garantida com esse jogo
  38. Jul 13, 2016
    This game is amazing with it's graphics and amazing level design! The plot is good. The controls feel perfect for the N64 but the only bad thing is slippy......
  39. Mar 22, 2018
    Classic game and had alternate endings and paths. Game was killer on multiplayer too and hopefully Nintendo can make a new Star Fox game with 24 team online multi player.
  40. Jun 1, 2018
    "DO A BARREL ROLL!" Do I need to say anything more? LOL! This game was fun. The flying and shooting was fun. The game looked good for the time. I really hope Nintendo puts this on the N64 mini!!!
  41. Aug 14, 2019
    Played it on the Wii's Virtual Console. I dare to say that the game aged pretty well throughout the years. I really enjoyed visiting the world of Star Fox and can't recommend the game enough for N64, 3DS ( it's been remastered for the 3DS) or any Virtual Console owners. A great shooter from Nintendo which is still very playable and fun even nowadays.
  42. Oct 23, 2018
    With stunning visuals voice acting, and memorable soundtrack, this game really is a nice addition you can make to your N64 gallery.
  43. Nov 15, 2018
    A Masterpiece, loved everything about this game, it is definitely a must play!
  44. Jun 15, 2019
    Fast, satisfying and most importantly, incredibly fun with a plenty of ways to have it, with awesomely designed levels where not a single one of them is similar to the other. In my opinion, this the best game of all time, no words, hands down.
  45. May 1, 2020
    Super addictive star fox saga game with charismatic characters and dialogues that have starred in countless memes. One of the most replayable games on the Nintendo 64 and a soundtrack of 10.
  46. Jul 24, 2020
    Star Fox 64 is the game that I have replayed and completed more than any other game I have ever played. It's one of the most fun and addicting games I have ever experienced that is damn near close to perfection (it may get a 10, but that doesn't automatically the game doesn't have any blemishes). To this day, this is peak Star Fox, and I am still surprised they haven't been able to comeStar Fox 64 is the game that I have replayed and completed more than any other game I have ever played. It's one of the most fun and addicting games I have ever experienced that is damn near close to perfection (it may get a 10, but that doesn't automatically the game doesn't have any blemishes). To this day, this is peak Star Fox, and I am still surprised they haven't been able to come close to achieving a similar level of quality since then.

SF64 is, for all intents and purposes, a remake of the SNES original. Fox McCloud and gang of furries set off to liberate the Lylat System from the evil Andross. The most noticeable difference between this game and the original is in its presentation. Of course, the graphics are an obvious boost (and still look great for the time), but now each character in the game is fully voiced. This game is endlessly quotable and memorable for a good reason. Each of the characters are wholly unique from each other and have the perfect level of camp. The sound design is excellent, with incredibly satisfying, crunchy explosions, laser fire and roaring engine of the Arwing. The soundtrack, while not quite as good as the SNES game, is still solid in its own right.

Another factor that differentiates this game from the original is in its progression. Like the original, there are multiple paths to take that lead you to different planets that vary in difficulty. However, you can now mix up that path depending what mission you accomplish within the stage. It can range from finding an alternate path, shooting down a certain number of enemies, altering the route of a cargo train, etc. How you set your path up can lead you to one of two endings, and only one of them is the true one. Much of this game's replayability comes from exploring all of the different pathways available. While not all of the stages are winners, each one is unique in its own way, preventing things from getting stale. The game also offers multiple vehicle types (first used in Star Fox 2): The Land Master and Blue Marine. You only get to use these in a few stages, however. The Land Master takes a bit of getting used to, but is still really fun. The Blue Marine, though, is too slow for my liking. The Arwing, though, is still the king, and man does it control like a dream. The N64's controller was tailor made for this game and it just isn't quite the same when playing it on other systems. Each level has a score requirement that you can achieve that reward you with a medal, and getting the medals in some of these stages can be pretty tricky. Getting all the medals in each stage will reward you with an Expert Mode (also with its own set of medals). If you thought the base game was too easy, this one will definitely put up more of a fight (it also comes with a **** pair of shades for Fox).

This is easily one of the best games you can ever own on the N64. If you are even remotely interested in the series, you need to pick this up in some form, whether it's an original copy or the 3DS Remake (which is stellar).
  47. Oct 26, 2020
    Star Fox 64 is a great game. I believe that the Star Fox series peaked on the N64. The overall gameplay is just so fun. It honestly feels like an arcade game, but cranked up super high. The story is fine. Although the story is definitely not the focus here. It's the gameplay. It is super fun to just blow up some guys. The game shouldn't take you an hour, but if you want to take all theStar Fox 64 is a great game. I believe that the Star Fox series peaked on the N64. The overall gameplay is just so fun. It honestly feels like an arcade game, but cranked up super high. The story is fine. Although the story is definitely not the focus here. It's the gameplay. It is super fun to just blow up some guys. The game shouldn't take you an hour, but if you want to take all the routes it will definitely take you more than an hour. It isn't just shooting guys you have to also protect your teammates so they will be in the next battle with you. We don't really get to know the characters here, but what we have I like. I can't really think of anything wrong with it. It just isn't anything phenomenal. I wish Metacritic let you give numbers like 6.5, 7.5. But anyways I give Star Fox 64 an A- and a 8.5/10. Expand

#3 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1997
#2 Most Shared N64 Game of 1997

Generally favorable reviews - based on 16 Critic Reviews

1. It's the shoot 'em up of shoot 'em ups. Star Fox 64 shouldn't be seen as a sequel to the SNES Star Fox, however. It's more of a director's cut to an old, great film.
  2. It features nice graphics, wonderful sound, addictive gameplay, and a lot of replay value.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    A very pretty reprise of the original Star Fox story, but with new stuff. [Jan 2004, p.189]