Super Mario 64

Nintendo 64
9.2

1. Oct 4, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, I understand this game was a revolutionary back in 1996, but this isn’t 1996, this is 2019, so the first thing I can say is that this game did NOT age well, like, at all. Controlling the game feels like riding a Big Wheel. Also, the stars can be so confusing at times that I have to look up a guide. The story is the same Mario story as almost every other Mario game, which is boring. The melee moves do literally nothing since you can just jump on or dive at enemies. Also, this game is very unpolished, even for a 1996 game. But, I can say I like the music, despite the same few tracks being reheard throughout the game. In conclusion, Mario 64 might’ve been a good game at the time, but it’s really lost it’s impact and gotten slightly worse with each new Mario game being so far ahead of it and having much better controls. I do feel like the game could be done justice with a proper Switch remake, though. Expand
  2. Sep 27, 2019
    Super Mario 64 was released on the Nintendo 64 in September of 1996. I will be reviewing this game by looking at the game and it’s contemporaries when it came out 23 years ago.

Story: 7/10 At this point, the same Mario story had been repeated three times (SMB, SMB3, SMW). Luckily, SM64 changes it up a bit with Peach being locked away within her own castle. Bowser has kidnapped Peach and

Story: 7/10

At this point, the same Mario story had been repeated three times (SMB, SMB3, SMW). Luckily, SM64 changes it up a bit with Peach being locked away within her own castle. Bowser has kidnapped Peach and you must collect power stars to unlock more of the castle rooms. Overall, a decent story for the time, but nothing special.

Level Design: 8/10

This game’s level design is mostly pretty good. Bomb-Omb Battlefield is a great first level to mess around in, and Whomp’s Fortress is my favorite level in the game. Even though the game is held together by a thread, as you can use glitches and exploits to beat the game with 0 stars, you most likely will have a stable experience if you don’t have knowledge of these game-breaking strategies. Some of the later levels like Jolly Roger Bay and Rainbow Ride are slow and tedious. SM64 should be about constant action, as you move around these sandboxes. But these levels are slow and monotonous to play, which goes against this game’s design philosophy.

Control: 9/10

Contrary to the majority opinion, I still think SM64 controls beautifully. I rarely have problems with the camera and the N64 controller was made for this game. Diving and long jumping helps make this game just that much more fun to run around in and allows for some sick movement through levels.

Completion: 10/10

This game has 120 stars, and that’s about it. The only other “collectibles” are coins and red coins, which are used to get more stars. But in my opinion that’s all the game needs. There are 105 stars spread across 15 stages with seven each. The remaining 15 stars are found in secret stages that are usually the linear segments of the game. Super Mario 64 will only last you around ten hours on your first play through, but this game has so much replay-ability. Case and point-

Speedrunning: 10/10

Speedrunning SM64 is a wild ride, no matter what category your running.

0 Star - Constant glitches through walls and barriers, as well as highly optimized movement.

1 Star - Same as 0 Star but you complete the Bowser 2 requirement of getting one star in Dire, Dire Docks.

16 Star - BLJ’s, optimized movement and clipping through walls in around a quarter of an hour if your the best.

70 Star - Pick which stars are the quickest and use only a few glitches to beat the game.

120 Star - Complete the entire game.

If you have a mild interest in Speedrunning and you like this game, give it a try.

Final Score: 8.8/10

Super Mario 64 has aged very well compared to other games at the time and deserves being regarded as a 90’s classic. A must play if you haven’t tried it.
  3. Sep 11, 2019
    No esta mal, y es innovador, pero envejeció terriblemente mal, como cualquier otro Mario. Y después me dicen que la N64 es mas potente que el PS1.....
    La cámara es un asco, ese es el problema mas grave que tiene el juego, esa cámara de mie... que tienen todos los juegos de N64.
    La música esta bastante bien, pero nada especial....
    Puede ser divertido... al menos 30 minutos...
  4. Sep 7, 2019
    This Game is overrated. I mean, it can be fun, but it aged rather poorly, the camera is probably the worse i have ever seen in a 3D platformer, the Gameplay is pretty stiff and clunky, and it can get pretty repetitive. I'd recommend later Mario Games that improved on the formula rather than this one.
  5. Sep 7, 2019
    Super Mario 64 was and still is a great 3D platformer, and it plays well even today. This game truly is a blueprint for many others to follow and learn about.
    It is a good video game.
  6. Sep 1, 2019
    Ah, Super Mario 64. A very creative Mario game that has a mostly fabulous adventure waiting for you.
  7. Aug 17, 2019
    This game is VERY overrated and the bowser fights are repetitive. You cannot play as Luigi which is upsetting.All you ever do in the game is do boring fetch quests and collect 8 red coins . I suggest anybody to buy mario kart 64,mario party 1, or paper mario .Grab the power star , collect the coins, punch the enimies into lava,and all those boring fetch quest gets annoying after awhile.TheThis game is VERY overrated and the bowser fights are repetitive. You cannot play as Luigi which is upsetting.All you ever do in the game is do boring fetch quests and collect 8 red coins . I suggest anybody to buy mario kart 64,mario party 1, or paper mario .Grab the power star , collect the coins, punch the enimies into lava,and all those boring fetch quest gets annoying after awhile.The challenges are unrewarding.I am saving money to buy a copy of mario party 1 which is better than mario 64. , Expand
  8. Aug 5, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe the best Mario game of all time. The boss fights are great and have good ideas, like Bowser or the boss in the pyramid. Every Mario-fan should have this game. Expand
  9. Jul 17, 2019
    This is one of the most revolutionary games in gaming history and is still fun to play even today. The controls are somewhat dated today, but they are still good. Some of those stars particularly in Peach's castle are so difficult to find to the point where it feels like those several offending stars were put in to sell Nintendo Power magazines. Most of the stars just require explorationThis is one of the most revolutionary games in gaming history and is still fun to play even today. The controls are somewhat dated today, but they are still good. Some of those stars particularly in Peach's castle are so difficult to find to the point where it feels like those several offending stars were put in to sell Nintendo Power magazines. Most of the stars just require exploration and the levels give you a hint for each star. Expand
  10. Jul 2, 2019
    Un juego absolutamente revolucionario que marcó un antes y un después en la historia de los videojuegos. Uno de los primeros juegos en 3D, y uno de los mejores juegos de Mario, si no el mejor.

9.5/10
  11. May 29, 2019
    THIS GAME AGED BAD nothing to add.

JAJAJA y lo más gracioso es que su único remake también ya envejeció graficamente xD Nintendo DS era increíblemente inferior para correr gráficos 3D, debieron esperarse hasta el Nintendo Switch por lo menos. Los muy tontos de Nintendo impiden también los remakes hechos por fans, que pena . Lamento decirles que Mario 64 envejeció mal visualmente y
    THIS GAME AGED BAD nothing to add.

Lamento decirles que Mario 64 envejeció mal visualmente y jugablemente con su cámara tan incómoda, yo no lo recomendaría jugar para el día de hoy, en lugar de eso les recomiendo jugar los clásicos de NES y Super NES.
  12. May 27, 2019
    ``Espectacular´´
    Probablemente este ha sido el título que ha marcado la diferencia total en la historia de los juegos de Nintendo, se trata de la primera entrega en utilizar texturas 3D para la consola de Nintendo 64 en el año 1996.
    ``Espectacular´´

La historia en sí es muy sencilla, un fontanero de baja estatura, pelo castaño y bigote de color negro. Debe salvar a una princesa que fue secuestrada en su propio castillo, siendo raptada por el típico antagonista de la saga: Bowser. Ya con el hecho de saber que la sinopsis es casi igual al ´Debut´ de Super Mario en 1985, y además que ella se encuentra encerrada en su propio castillo, no presenta gran amenaza y tampoco es la gran cosa, así que. ¿Por qué este juego es tan desafiante y exitoso en ello?

Porque es honesto, el juego sabe que tiene una premisa simple, así que la explota, transforma y evoluciona de maneras inimaginables. Haciendo a nuestro protagonista casi imposible la tarea de encontrar a la princesa de una forma rápida y sencilla.
    La dificultad siempre está en un nivel desafiante tanto para jóvenes como mayores, tanto para jugadores con experiencia, como para aquellos que utilizan por primera vez una videoconsola, y esto representa el gran trabajo llevado a cabo en la construcción de los controles y la jugabilidad balanceada.

El Castillo, el cual es el escenario principal donde se desarrolla todo el juego. Se presenta como un universo entero, el cual está plagado de mundos, cientos de estrellas, misiones, y jamás se te da la oportunidad de quedarte ahí sin nada que hacer, siempre surge algo nuevo que explorar y descubrir.
    Para aquellos que jueguen este título por primera vez probablemente les parecerá casi infinita la exploración. Recuerda mucho al castillo de ´Hogwards´ de la saga Harry Potter, el cual está lleno de pasajes secretos, trampas, monstruos y misterios, algo muy similar al castillo de este juego, el cual posee un diseño arquitectónico totalmente perfecto.

La banda sonora, probablemente una de las más icónicas y memorables en la industria de los videojuegos. Cuenta con distintos temas aplicados para cada nivel, pero el mejor sin dudas es el del escenario principal, el cual suena como una orquesta sinfónica de sintetizador que refleja a la perfección la paz y comodidad que ofrece el ambiente. Probablemente el único problema que encuentro con el juego es el manejo de la cámara, el cual a veces resulta un verdadero obstáculo para poder llevar a cabo las acciones de el personaje, pero nada que arruine la experiencia en general.

En resumen, me atrevo a decir que Super Mario 64 es uno de los juegos más espectaculares, fantásticos e imaginativos que se hayan creado, todo esto con una dirección perfectamente sublime. Aún para la fecha sigue cautivando con su maravillosa estructura, mecánica, musicalización, gráficos y esplendida jugabilidad, todo esto lo que lo ha convertido en una figura icónica y ejemplar para los diseños de entregas posteriores. Además de ser uno de esos títulos que logran transportar al jugador en su totalidad, a su hermoso y perfectamente construido mundo. Una autentica e indudable obra maestra.

Jugabilidad: 10/10
    Personajes: 9/10
    Historia: 7/10
    Diseño: 10/10
    Entretenimiento: 10/10
  13. May 19, 2019
    Just doing my part as an epic gamer and giving this masterpiece the perfect 10/10 score it deserves. Any epic gamers will agree this game is truly one of the greatest, thank you Miyamoto for blessing the Earth with your creation (and others involved)
  14. May 17, 2019
    At the time that the platforms became 3D, a title arrived that would lay the foundations; Super Mario 64. Without a doubt it is one of the best videoganes of the N64, although the console left along with this one. Very good mechanics for the time, a functional control (despite the problems of the command of the N64), scenarios and varied enemies, pure fun in 3D. Possibly the best seriesAt the time that the platforms became 3D, a title arrived that would lay the foundations; Super Mario 64. Without a doubt it is one of the best videoganes of the N64, although the console left along with this one. Very good mechanics for the time, a functional control (despite the problems of the command of the N64), scenarios and varied enemies, pure fun in 3D. Possibly the best series that gave the jump from 2D to 3D in the best way, a classic. Expand
  15. Apr 28, 2019
    This game revolutionized 3D gaming and is everything you've come to expect from a Super Mario game. The only issue with the game is the camera which can make levels more difficult than necessary. I've enjoyed the game a lot and 100% the game which was difficult, but in the best kind of way.
  16. Apr 28, 2019
    The is one of the best games I have ever played on the system. There are huge levels, each providing a unique experience that the other levels do not have. One of the things I love about this game is the controls and the movement, which if you are a fast player you can take shortcuts around the level such as surfing on a turtles shell, etc.
  17. Apr 27, 2019
    This is great. Period. I don’t even need to Explain why... Really! You know why.
  18. Mar 17, 2019
    This has been one of the most revolutionary games of all time for 22 years and should be love by all platformer fans. Good controls, Fun mission structure, Mario, this is the game you need.
  19. Mar 2, 2019
    The game may not have help up the best, but I can respect what this title has done for gaming.
  20. Nov 27, 2018
    UHUUU !!
    It's Mario being successful!
    What a game delight, huh?
    I love 64, just as I love your biggest game ...
  21. Nov 24, 2018
    First game I ever played, usually I'd stay away from reviewing it due my nostalgia but I replayed it to the end and must say it holds up for a reason other than rose tinted glasses:
    pros:
    -all the worlds, all the enemies, all the bosses -mario mobility -the castle base world and how you can look for secrets to find more in there -the challenge factor cons: -redoing the same level
    pros:
    -all the worlds, all the enemies, all the bosses
    -mario mobility
    -the castle base world and how you can look for secrets to find more in there
    -the challenge factor
    cons:
    -redoing the same level over and over to get stars again may get tiresome
    -getting thrown back all the way when dying is very tiresome
    -the hats take too long to be unlocked, taking some of the fun they have as power-ups
  22. Nov 21, 2018
    Wow This Game Is The Best 3d Game Ever This Game Has Crisp Control's Even Though Its On A Garbage Controller Every Level Is Perfect Every level Has Action,Puzzle,Challenge And Munch More People Say The Camera Is Trash But I Think Its Crisp And Smooth Only Rarely You Fight With The Camera And The Soundtrack Is One Of The Most Best precise Of Video Game Music History The Bosses Are CreativeWow This Game Is The Best 3d Game Ever This Game Has Crisp Control's Even Though Its On A Garbage Controller Every Level Is Perfect Every level Has Action,Puzzle,Challenge And Munch More People Say The Camera Is Trash But I Think Its Crisp And Smooth Only Rarely You Fight With The Camera And The Soundtrack Is One Of The Most Best precise Of Video Game Music History The Bosses Are Creative They Add One Cool Thing just To Make It Different And I Can Understand Its Hard to Make Bosses In 3D Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2018
    A Masterpiece, loved everything about this game, it is definitely a must play!
  24. Nov 1, 2018
    Идеальная игра. Хороший 3d плартформер. Одна из лучших игр на n64. Эта игра разделила серию Super Mario на 3d и 2d.
  25. Oct 26, 2018
    Super Mario 64 is one of most important 3D platformers of all time. While its certainly not the best, even on the N64, the game is a must play.
  26. Sep 21, 2018
    Super Mario 64 is a pure N64 classic. It is Nintendo's first ever achievement to make their first 3D Mario game. It had beautiful graphics, creative designs especially the looks of Peach's Castle and Big Bob-omb's Battlefield for an example, fun and enjoyable gameplay, solid controls that allows you to move and jump around in a more freedom manner, new power-ups to use, for an example, aSuper Mario 64 is a pure N64 classic. It is Nintendo's first ever achievement to make their first 3D Mario game. It had beautiful graphics, creative designs especially the looks of Peach's Castle and Big Bob-omb's Battlefield for an example, fun and enjoyable gameplay, solid controls that allows you to move and jump around in a more freedom manner, new power-ups to use, for an example, a Wing Cap allows you to glide which is great fun, plenty of missions to do, fighting a boss, racing against somebody, collecting 8 red coins and so much more, and an excellent musical soundtrack by Koji Kondo including Inside Peach's Castle, Bowser's Road, Bowser Boss the main theme and the water levels. They're my favourite music tracks in the game, they're all really catchy and enjoyable. If you're a fan of Mario games like I am, and if you get sick and tired of all the 2D gaming, while you wanted some new experience of 3D gaming, this is must-buy and a must-play for your Nintendo 64. If you ever own a Wii or Wii U, but not the N64, you can download this game for the Wii Shop Channel on Wii and the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. I really love this game. It's just one of my favourite games of the Nintendo 64. Expand
  27. Sep 16, 2018
    Simply, one of the best game i've ever played. It's so satisfying to control Mario. Level designs are great. Every level designed for Mario's platforming abilities.But camera control is so weird and annoying. Sadly you can't see the boss fights in every course. That's a bit disapointing. But this doesn't change the fact that this game is a masterpiece.
  28. JPK
    Aug 19, 2018
    A True Game Changer
    Super Mario 64 Revolutionized Gaming With 3D Graphics And A Whole New Level Of Fun.
  29. Jul 21, 2018
    Despite its age showing nowadays, Super Mario 64 is still one of the highest points in the Mario franchise, with its smooth transition to 3D and control movement that is still fantastic to this day.
  30. Jul 13, 2018
    this game is pure magic, exploration and control are the best in any game i had played before
  31. Jul 5, 2018
    The one that started it all. Super Mario 64 kept it simple, but enjoyable for Mario's first 3D outing. Super Mario 64 has 15 worlds, with 6 stars in each, plus a 100
    coin star. Like Sunshine, 64 has sometimes frustrating missions, that one little screw up will cause you to start all over, but here, they are more infrequent than in
    Sunshine. I can't remember off the top of my head any,
    Sunshine. I can't remember off the top of my head any, but I remember there were some challenges that were tricky. Mario 64 also has some other problems. Being the
    first 3D Mario, it's camera is garbage, it only has 3 powerups, which are all underutilized, and since the Nintendo 64 went with cartridges, not discs. The game
    looks pretty bad and runs at around 20-30 FPS, but despite those problems, Super Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. I really like the game, it's fun,
    creative, and a classic.
  32. Jul 2, 2018
    this game is history, better than the recent super mario odissey and can't believe that sm64 has a lower score. shame
  33. Jun 23, 2018
    I was a kid when I played this, and since then it's been my favorite Mario game. The worlds are varied, and platforming and star hunting are very fun. The game is extremely well designed. It's a must-have for any N64 owner.
  34. Jun 16, 2018
    I give Super Mario 64 a 10 for the game it was in 1996, not the game it is today. When I first played it at launch, it was a revelation and one of the most incredible gaming experiences of my life. It remains a masterclass in level design, soundtrack, and overall playability. It definitely deserves its reputation as one of the greatest games ever published. That said, some elementsI give Super Mario 64 a 10 for the game it was in 1996, not the game it is today. When I first played it at launch, it was a revelation and one of the most incredible gaming experiences of my life. It remains a masterclass in level design, soundtrack, and overall playability. It definitely deserves its reputation as one of the greatest games ever published. That said, some elements have not held up very well, particularly the sometimes wonky camera and imperfect controls. Still, it contains impressive variety, solid challenge, and an overall sense of joy. Everyone should play Super Mario 64 at least once. Expand
  35. Jun 13, 2018
    This game is perhaps the greatest I've ever played. One of the most masterful platformers with a wide array of fun levels and powerups that kept me engaged for hours on end. This is a game you need to play once in your lifetime.
  36. Jun 8, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I rarely give a 10 to any kind of merchandise I'm going to review at. This merchandise is relating to a film, sound, food, restaurant, or a game.

This game deserves a very rare "perfect" score from me. An ultimate game classic, that's what I would call Super Mario 64 is!

Super Mario 64 has strong visuals that is unexpected on the year 1996, to which the year it was released. The concept of the game, in garnering "stars" as tokens in proceeding to various sections of the game, is unique and fantastic.

The soundtrack of the game is decent and enjoyable which adds tension and motivation in finishing this quite long-played game; by long-played, in a sense, of it's terms on difficulty in acquiring stars and other game tokens such as keys and milestones.

What I like about this game is not the generic story but rather on how it was very enjoyable in acquiring and capturing those plentiful stars in the game. Every stars I manage to earn adds even more enthusiasm in obtaining all of them. AND THAT! is the way a classic game should have an impact to it's users.

Congratulations on the creators and all the people who are involved in making this wonderful and classic game. This really develops my fantastic childhood. Every time I see this game and watch people play it, the moments I remember while playing it is a nostalgic memory that I will recall from the rest of my life.

Rating: 10/10 -> 5/5 stars (a very rare perfect score from me).
  37. May 31, 2018
    So many good memories from my childhood. This is by far my favorite Mario game and imagine my surprise and happiness when I first saw the Mushroom Kingdom in Odyssey! I love everything about this game and I cannot wait until the N64 mini!
  38. May 30, 2018
    My favourite game of all time! Amazing levels. A not too hard difficulty. An excellent soundtrack and lots of amazing gameplay
  39. May 29, 2018
    this game is very overrated it has bad character models horrible camera weird controls also after every star you collect you go back to the hub world that is a lazy way of stretching out a short game
  40. May 24, 2018
    Wow! What a game! The puzzles are well put together, the music is great, the hub world is the best hub world I've ever been in, Mario is fun to control, and all the worlds are unique and offer up a different, yet fun experience. The only issue I have with the game is the camera, but it was the first true 3D platformer created, so of course the camera is not going to be great. My secondWow! What a game! The puzzles are well put together, the music is great, the hub world is the best hub world I've ever been in, Mario is fun to control, and all the worlds are unique and offer up a different, yet fun experience. The only issue I have with the game is the camera, but it was the first true 3D platformer created, so of course the camera is not going to be great. My second favourite Mario game and one of the best 3D platformers ever made. And I didn't grow up with this game nor do I have nostalgia for it, I genuinely love Mario 64. Expand
  41. May 22, 2018
    Ah, Super Mario 64. I may not have been born at the time of your release, but at least I managed to experience your greatness at least once in my life.

Pros: + Gameplay: Wonderful. I love punching Goombas wherever they are. + Soundtrack: Why does this game have a better soundtrack than most games now-a-days? + Level Design: By far the most memorable level design in the Mario

Pros:
    + Gameplay: Wonderful. I love punching Goombas wherever they are.
    + Level Design: By far the most memorable level design in the Mario franchise overall.
    + Collect-a-thon: The fact that you can get almost any star in a level at any time after you unlock it is amazing!
    + Power-ups: Wing Cap is by far my favorite power-up in the franchise. Metal Cap and Invisible Cap are also fun as well.

Cons:
    - Camera: Horrible, atrocious.
    - 100 Coin Stars: Who thought Dire Dire Docks 100 Coin Star was a good idea?
    - Bosses: Easy as heck, except for the final Bowser battle.

Overall, Super Mario 64 is a revolutionary masterpiece that helped carve a path towards many other amazing games and warrants a 9.6/10 from me.
  42. May 22, 2018
    With this game having a legacy I can't just give it a 7/10 on the fly because this game has issues. For example some of the levels like tall tall mountain is just doing the same thing. It is climb to the top and do this or climb to do that. which does not make some levels fun. But Most of the levels are open meaning you explore different parts of the level. And I like that. But sometimesWith this game having a legacy I can't just give it a 7/10 on the fly because this game has issues. For example some of the levels like tall tall mountain is just doing the same thing. It is climb to the top and do this or climb to do that. which does not make some levels fun. But Most of the levels are open meaning you explore different parts of the level. And I like that. But sometimes the game can be cryptic. For example this level title "wall kicks will work." Where do I wall kick.? What do I do? And this is spread through the entire game. But the levels are fun and speed running this game is a blast. But I can't forgive some of this games issues. Overall Mario 64 gets 8/10 Expand
  43. May 9, 2018
    Ummmm....where to begin? This game does not delve into Rosalina's backstory at all. What a waste of a prequel! And how does F.L.U.D.D know who Mario is? None of the kingdoms featured in Odyssey are present here, except Mushroom. I expect more from a game with such a detailed story and plot. Obviously thats the main point here. Also, you don't even need to collect any stars to beat theUmmmm....where to begin? This game does not delve into Rosalina's backstory at all. What a waste of a prequel! And how does F.L.U.D.D know who Mario is? None of the kingdoms featured in Odyssey are present here, except Mushroom. I expect more from a game with such a detailed story and plot. Obviously thats the main point here. Also, you don't even need to collect any stars to beat the game!
    10/10 perfect game
  44. May 5, 2018
    One of the most important games in Nintendo 64. This game create a new, font to view for the 3d platform. Good, game design, stages and a lot of stars to collect.

It is not my favorite game of all time but it is important game in the industry.
  45. May 4, 2018
    I do enjoy this game, although I feel as if I was a little too young to completely get that experience. I was born not too long after this was released so I never got to appreciate the aspects that others got, such as the 3d being new. I do enjoy this game but I spent a lot more of my time on the ds port. I also feel like when I was at the age of playing this game I was too young to be anyI do enjoy this game, although I feel as if I was a little too young to completely get that experience. I was born not too long after this was released so I never got to appreciate the aspects that others got, such as the 3d being new. I do enjoy this game but I spent a lot more of my time on the ds port. I also feel like when I was at the age of playing this game I was too young to be any good at games and this was one that required at least some skill to beat so I never got to experience that either. I have never managed to get all of the stars or even beat the game because I never went back to play it. I really hope that they put this game on the switch either as a remake or as virtual console because it really is a game that I think that I would enjoy. Expand
  46. Apr 25, 2018
    Reviewing this game in 2018 is very hard. I wasn't even born when it came out. Which is crazy to think about. I grew up playing this game, so I have known it literally my whole life. My opinions on this game changed throughout my life, as they should for everyone. I decided to go easy on the game though, since it's already 12 years old. If I had to choose a word to describe this amazingReviewing this game in 2018 is very hard. I wasn't even born when it came out. Which is crazy to think about. I grew up playing this game, so I have known it literally my whole life. My opinions on this game changed throughout my life, as they should for everyone. I decided to go easy on the game though, since it's already 12 years old. If I had to choose a word to describe this amazing game it would have to be "Creative". Everything about it is creative and new, the story, the mechanics, the 3D platforming, the objectives, how open the world is, the cartoon-like style we know and love, the incredible music and inspiring world crafting. I love this game, always have. And I have little to no complaints about it. For example I hate the way the controls work, though this is mainly due to my hatred for N64 controllers. Anyway this game is an incredible achievement, the mere fact it was made in 1996 makes it astonishing, and the fact that it is so good makes this unbelievable. Haven't played this game? Try it. I can't promise it will be your new favorite game, but I can promise you it is worth way more than just a try. Expand
  47. Apr 21, 2018
    It's no better then ok It's the best game in the Mario games but its NOT A good game its just ok
    5/10 from me.
  48. Apr 20, 2018
    This game was a milestone due to its 3D environment.

The level design was unique back in the times and the controls with the N64 stick were precise.

Still the game felt a little empty. No story as usual and the sound effects were a bit cheap. The same boss used over and over again.

7 out of 10.
  49. Apr 1, 2018
    Super Mario 64 is the first 3D Mario game to be released, and so it was a title of revolution and perfection. The game showcased the massive possibilities in a 3D environment and Mario's moveset is varying and creative. This game has the basic, unoriginal Mario plotline, but since this is a platformer, and not an emotional, or action oriented RPG, this game didn't really need a plot. TheSuper Mario 64 is the first 3D Mario game to be released, and so it was a title of revolution and perfection. The game showcased the massive possibilities in a 3D environment and Mario's moveset is varying and creative. This game has the basic, unoriginal Mario plotline, but since this is a platformer, and not an emotional, or action oriented RPG, this game didn't really need a plot. The levels are really well designed, the soundtrack is wicked and the tons of glitches and bugs various speedrunners have exploited over the years is nothing short but masterful. This game balanced toughness with enjoyment and frankly, i couldn't have it different. This game was the source to countless sequels, hundreds of romhacks and basically a good chunk of 3D platformers are based around this game. Expand
  50. Mar 24, 2018
    I played Mario 64 countless times. It's as awesome as it always was. The level design is great, music's great, camera's great. The opening is still one of the best in gaming. Super Mario 64 should be ranked as the best 3d game ever.
  51. Mar 22, 2018
    This game was a staple at launch and the soundtrack brings back joys of playing this game as a kid. The controls are however not the best to fully control Mario as he can slide off platforms or do jumps you weren't intending to do.
  52. Mar 16, 2018
    - 9.8 -

Ed eccolo quà, forse il più importante gioco di super mario, il primo 3d game della saga rimarrà un classico, storia interessante, che ha coinvolto me sin da piccolo, ma che coinvolge anche ad un età maggiore, gameplay fluido e decisamente all'avanguardia per l'epoca, e poi diciamolo, chi non lo ha mai giocato!
  53. Mar 4, 2018
    This game was revolutionary and is an extremely fun open world 3D platformer. This game took a massive risk and it was worth it.
  54. Feb 28, 2018
    The first 3D mario game that I ever played, and even today, it is still an absolutely great game. It has aged in a few areas, particularly with the camera controls and the visuals, but its still really fun. The controls are fluent and easy to use, the music is great, the visuals, while they are a bit dated by today’s standards, I think they still have a nice charm to them, and the processThe first 3D mario game that I ever played, and even today, it is still an absolutely great game. It has aged in a few areas, particularly with the camera controls and the visuals, but its still really fun. The controls are fluent and easy to use, the music is great, the visuals, while they are a bit dated by today’s standards, I think they still have a nice charm to them, and the process of collecting the stars is very enjoyable, and adds a high amount of replay value to the game seeing there are 120 and you can collect them in whatever order you want. Overall, super mario 64 gets an 8/10. Over 20 years later and its still a great game. Expand
  55. Feb 27, 2018
    Very few games have stood the test of time in the way that "Super Mario 64" has. While a number of games come along and provide an "innovative" and "revolutionary" experience, it's not uncommon that some of them age very poorly. "Super Mario 64," however, has aged wonderfully and to this day, it still stands as one of the greatest video games of all time. With graphics that still hold upVery few games have stood the test of time in the way that "Super Mario 64" has. While a number of games come along and provide an "innovative" and "revolutionary" experience, it's not uncommon that some of them age very poorly. "Super Mario 64," however, has aged wonderfully and to this day, it still stands as one of the greatest video games of all time. With graphics that still hold up decently to this day, extremely fun gameplay, wonderful level design, amazing controls, and a tremendous amount of content and variety, "Super Mario 64" continues to stand tall in the gaming world as one of the best titles of all time, and it's incredible to think that the game can still run circles around a number of 3D platformers. If you haven't gotten the chance to play this fantastic game...well, what are you waiting for? Go play it now!
    Final rating: 10 out of 10 "Fantastic"
  56. Jan 3, 2018
    Después de analizarlo fríamente he llegado a la conclusión de que este juego no tiene nada que mejorar. Cualquier cambio lo empeoraría.
  57. Dec 9, 2017
    Mario 64 is a fun and intriguing game and for it's time it had great graphics. If you've never played this game before, I highly suggest it. The controls and camera work great, unlike Mario Sunshine. It's definitely one of my favorite Mario Games.
  58. Nov 24, 2017
    Super Mario 64 is one of the most respected video games of all time. It is a game that every gamer should try to play through at least once. From Bob-omb battlefield to Rainbow Ride, each world has it's distinct atmosphere, that allows them to be instantly recognizable. The soundtrack, though sometimes repetitive, allows the worlds to gain distinct identities. The gameplay is extremelySuper Mario 64 is one of the most respected video games of all time. It is a game that every gamer should try to play through at least once. From Bob-omb battlefield to Rainbow Ride, each world has it's distinct atmosphere, that allows them to be instantly recognizable. The soundtrack, though sometimes repetitive, allows the worlds to gain distinct identities. The gameplay is extremely smooth, which allows SM64 to be easily approachable to beginners, but still relatively challenging to veterans. SM64 is a timeless classic, from it's start to it's finish. Expand
  59. Nov 7, 2017
    I like it's level design and ideas, but one thing really ruins it for me. Controls are really bad in my opinion, i wish this game got a remake with better camera controls and stuff, but probably won't happen.
  60. Nov 6, 2017
    Amazing! Even today Mario 64 is playable, and that says everything. Great plataforming, combined with the excelent controls (for that time), Super Mario 64 is a true gem that needs to be keept alive.
  61. Nov 6, 2017
    Super Mario sempre se supera em todas as gerações, a Nintendo tem um carinho e um cuidado com os jogos dele que são incríveis, o 3D World continua com exploração em mundos belíssimos em 3D e quebra cabeças de tirar o folego de tão criativos. Os mundos, planetas, cometas, estrelas, tudo é tão bem feito, harmonioso que temos vontade de não parar de jogar de tão lindos que são feitos osSuper Mario sempre se supera em todas as gerações, a Nintendo tem um carinho e um cuidado com os jogos dele que são incríveis, o 3D World continua com exploração em mundos belíssimos em 3D e quebra cabeças de tirar o folego de tão criativos. Os mundos, planetas, cometas, estrelas, tudo é tão bem feito, harmonioso que temos vontade de não parar de jogar de tão lindos que são feitos os mundos. Uma obra de arte incrível! Expand
  62. Nov 1, 2017
    The game is fun! but the control is absolute TRASH! If you want to play super mario 64 please do your self a favor and play the remake, it has more content and better controls.
  63. Oct 29, 2017
    A mere 10 is not enough but we can be clear that this game is and will be legend until the end of times, is these kinds of games that you will play again after finishing it, i already finished and got sad, but im sure i will be back later. You only can understand if you play it, is the blueprints of all 3D plataformer games.
  64. Oct 26, 2017
    I don't give perfect scores... Nothing is perfect... But this game comes damn close. It's basically the king of platformers...

You know when that special game comes along at a certain point in time and just tickles pretty much everyones balls just right? Like metal gear solid, star craft 1, final fantasy 7, ocarina of time etc etc... This is one of those lol.
  65. Oct 22, 2017
    Super Mario 64 was the most innovative game ever! It opened up the door for 3d open world gaming which is something everyone should appreciate. Yes it had some clunky controls and a shallow story but it was one of the first 3D games ever. It is overall a great game with issues that can be justified.
  66. Oct 21, 2017
    This was an important game, because for the time it was revolutionary, but now, it's kind of dated. It still has fun moments, and there is a certain charm to it, but I feel like Crash Bandicoot and Sonic Adventure have aged a bit better than this game. Also, I prefer the DS version.
  67. Oct 4, 2017
    One of the greatest platformers ever created. Looking at it now, the levels are little more bare and smaller than when I first played as a kid, but it still holds up. Level design is varied in the 15 worlds, some better than others, but there isn't a world in the game that I think should be cut, that's saying something (best ghost house in any Mario game). All around the designersOne of the greatest platformers ever created. Looking at it now, the levels are little more bare and smaller than when I first played as a kid, but it still holds up. Level design is varied in the 15 worlds, some better than others, but there isn't a world in the game that I think should be cut, that's saying something (best ghost house in any Mario game). All around the designers developed a fun experience while sprinkling challenge throughout. The music is fantastic, the secrets are well thought out, and the variations to how you acquire the power stars keep it feeling fresh. Graphics aren't horrendous, sure its blocky and pointy at times, but it still has that Mario charm that can't be wiped away with age. I was worried about the camera when thinking on replaying this gem again, but I was surprised how few times it was a deterrent to completing my task. There were only two parts where I felt it floundered, and that's pretty good in a five-hour-plus play session. Once I got reacquainted with the controls, it wasn't a hindrance that plagued my entire sessions. An excellent game, if you haven't given this one a chance, go play it. Expand
  68. Sep 3, 2017
    It's a classic game that defined how a 3D game works. My only problem with the game is that it didn't age well. Besides that the levels are amazing and it's a fun game!
  69. Rgc
    Jul 4, 2017
    In my opinion it's the best platform game ever. Marco my childhood and was the first game to play.
    Innovation: It was a tremendous boom at that time and to say, the way to handle the camera and to mario is amazing and so far it has been very copied this formula pr other games.
    Gameplay: What more will I say that it has not been said, impressive the way to maejar the camera so that it is comfortable, new enemies and structure of levels, new powers of Mario, etc.
    Soundtrack: Simply legendary. Just listening to the dire dire docks level song makes you want to go back to your children.
    In conclusion is one of the best video games in history and in my opinion the best game ever.
  70. Jun 24, 2017
    Não tenho oque falar, esse jogo é horrivel, chato , repetitivo e cansativo.
    Agora o mario tem um mapa para se explorar oque não faz sentido em um jogo de plataforma, ja que isso so faz com que nos perdemos tempo de ir para uma fase andando por um mapa que praticamente não serve para nada.
    Não tenho oque falar, esse jogo é horrivel, chato , repetitivo e cansativo.
    Outro problema desse jogo é o sistema de avançar nele, aqui voce precisa coletar estrelas para librar novas fases, isso vai fazer com que voce fique indo e voltando na mesma fase e fazendo missões sem sentido e chatas, alem disso pode ter estrelas escondidas em lugares, logo voce pega, volta e entra novamente, não tem sentido nenhum o modo como esse jogo avança.
    O outro problema é o chefe e sua historia, voce enfrenta o bowser varias vezes e é sempre a mesma coisa, voce gira e joga ele em bombas, me parece que os criadores não tiveram a coragem de mudar a forma como se enfrentar ele...
  71. Jun 11, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a masterpiece. Well done Nintendo. The only thing that seperates this game from being a 10 is the controls, and the graphics. The graphics are not too bad, but it did not age well, and the controls need getting used, unlike the over Mario Games. There is only 2 problems and i've said it.
    So here are the positives: The music is amazing, the gameplay is stunning, the sound effects are great, the music is amazing, and did I say that the music is amazing!
    Well done Koji Kondo.. well done Nintendo. Well done N64.
  72. May 6, 2017
    Probably my one favorite Mario games!
    Probably my one favorite Mario games!
    For those who are not familiar with this game, this journey stars Mario in a 3D adventure where he will go around restoring Power Stars to Princess Peach's Castle (the hub world) inside 15 fun, colorful worlds. Mario's moveset is at probably at its largest here, some of the moves Mario can pull off in this game are exclusive to this game. The music is wonderful and I find myself going back to listen to some of the songs. Most of the stars are pretty fun to collect, though some can be a bit tedious and even frustrating to try to get at times, and sometimes the camera can give off weird angles. Overall it is a very solid video game and I would recommend giving it a try, you can find it on the Wii U Virtual Console.
  73. Mar 27, 2017
    I had never actually beaten this game until 2016, despite having played it briefly a few times since its release 20 years earlier. So even without copious amounts of nostalgia, this game grabbed hold of me and didn't let me go until I had 120 stars. The level of challenge is great. The analog stick makes this the only way to play this game. On Virtual Console the stick has a huge deadI had never actually beaten this game until 2016, despite having played it briefly a few times since its release 20 years earlier. So even without copious amounts of nostalgia, this game grabbed hold of me and didn't let me go until I had 120 stars. The level of challenge is great. The analog stick makes this the only way to play this game. On Virtual Console the stick has a huge dead zone. On DS you have a D-pad and a touch screen.

If you want to experience one of the greatest 3D platformers of all time, you have to do so on the 64.
  74. Mar 6, 2017
    The game that set the standard for 3D Platforming games and to this day probably still the best one ever. Easily one of the best games ever made and a must play for any gamer.
  75. Mar 6, 2017
    Muito Bom o Jogo o melhor jogo do n64 eu tenho o meu nintendo 64 eo super mario 64 estou jogando muito e muito bom vei e muito bom nada mais o n64 e um dos melhores consoles da nintendo
  76. Mar 3, 2017
    The "Father of 3D Gaming", so innovative for it's time, but what makes it a masterpiece? It stills stands up today as enjoyable and fantastic to play as it was in 1996, truly addictive and very well made, the level designs are memorable, the music is charming and the controls are intuitive. The only true downside is the clunky camera but it´s just one minor flaw that doesn't diminish itThe "Father of 3D Gaming", so innovative for it's time, but what makes it a masterpiece? It stills stands up today as enjoyable and fantastic to play as it was in 1996, truly addictive and very well made, the level designs are memorable, the music is charming and the controls are intuitive. The only true downside is the clunky camera but it´s just one minor flaw that doesn't diminish it from being outstanding! Expand
  77. Mar 1, 2017
    Шикарный и очень интересный платформер, Когда садишься за него, оторваться очень сложно. В этом вся нинтендо.
  78. Feb 14, 2017
    Mario 64 has aged incredibly well. This game revolutionised gaming: the first Mario 3d platformer. And what a good game it was! I really enjoyed getting all 120 stars (twice because I loved the game so much). Despite the n64's controller (remember it?) The controls were actually good, and the different levels are varied have just the right difficulty. Although I prefer Super Mario GalaxyMario 64 has aged incredibly well. This game revolutionised gaming: the first Mario 3d platformer. And what a good game it was! I really enjoyed getting all 120 stars (twice because I loved the game so much). Despite the n64's controller (remember it?) The controls were actually good, and the different levels are varied have just the right difficulty. Although I prefer Super Mario Galaxy (which I have finished 4 times...) this game is the best n64 game and an incredible Mario game. Expand
  79. Feb 13, 2017
    El juego es increíble y divertido, el diseño de los niveles es asombroso, lo único malo sería el manejo del personaje, el cual muchas veces es un problema.
  80. Jan 15, 2017
    Best Nintendo game I have ever played. Open world exploration in the amazing locations this game provides is easily the highlight. It revolutionised gaming, and is still a lot of fun to this day. Glad to see Nintendo are going back to this game's style with Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch. Can't wait! Thank you Super Mario 64 for being so great and inspiring us all to this day!
  81. Jan 4, 2017
    Deutsche Review - Kritik

Deutsche Review - Kritik

Der folgende Test ist in 5 Kategorien zusammengefasst. Diese 5 Kartegorien ergeben die Gesamtpunktzahl von 0 - 100 Punkten. Um einen passenden Userscore zu geben wird auf oder abgerundet. Bei 84 Punkten ergibt das einen User Score von 8. Bei 86 einen von Userscore von 9. Falls eine 85 kommt entscheide ich ob ich es eher positiv oder negativ nehme. Regeln verstanden?
    Dann sind hier meine Punkte.

Mein persönlicher Score = 78/100
    Mein User Score = 8/10
  82. Dec 30, 2016
    oque falar de Super Mario 64, um jogo incrivel, grafico muito bons, temos o Mario que é personagem espetacular, muitas mapas, um diferente do outro, alguns sao dificeis, a trilha sonora é incrivel, temos personagens classico no game tambem, a verdade é que Mario raramente decepciona, jogo incrivel, classico, vale a pena demais jogar, baixem um emulador no pc e joguem esse classico. Nota 10
  83. Dec 5, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best plataform game of the fifth generation of games, everybody know that was a revolutionary game, and defined how the 3d games would be made from that moment. Expand
  84. Nov 30, 2016
    O jogo eh ótimo, desde seu lançamento eu me supre endo, ate hoje eu jogo e eh um jogo incrível, com ótimos gráficos (para a época) e com ótimos comando, mesmo com aquele controle de N64 meio bagunçado rs, mas esse jogo é ótimo 10/10!
  85. Oct 16, 2016
    gráfico ok (pra época) história nada de mais isso é mario!! nao tem nada haver com mario, eu daria a ele um titulo de spin off e bom... a JOGABILIDADE É HORRIVEL os pulos nao sao nem um pouco precisos é dificil controlar o mario em plataformas finas (não encontrei palavra melhor) e esse é o maior problema desse jogo e de muitos do N64 a e a camera tambem é muito ruim menos um ponto.
  86. Sep 2, 2016
    My personal favourite game of all time. Many, many levels, great platforming, was revolutionary to 3D gaming. I honestly speechless about this game, it's AMAZING!! 100/10
  87. Aug 29, 2016
    This game, even 20 years later, is still fantastic. Although not the best 3D Mario game in my opinion, that goes to SMG 2, this is still my favorite, great graphics for a launch N64 game, controls that still hold well even today, this game is still a joy to play today. Buy it on the VC on the Wii or Wii U, HIGHLY recommended.
  88. Jul 30, 2016
    Super Mario 64 is revolutionary game and best selling game on N64, I think this game much better than Ocarina of Time . Graphics for 1996 is ideal and N64 is revolutionary console and in this game very good storyline, gameplay is very amazing, Very awesome game, best game on N64 and one of the best Mario Games .
  89. Jul 30, 2016
    Still one more Mario game. And again legendary. It's just... just wonderful game of all time. But Galaxy better, but once - first GLOBAL 3D game, having cool graphics and MOAR, MOAR, MOAR, MOAR. Nintendo - you best)
  90. Jul 3, 2016
    My 2nd favorite Mario game is this one. The controls feels so free. Not in the bad way. The levels are awesome and the bosses are too. This has to be the 3rd best nintendo 64 game. I recommend everyone play it. It's 100% awesome!
  91. May 28, 2016
    the concept of colect stars can sound very boring, but when you play it you will love this game. with mario 64 you have a lot of hours to play. you have a lot of things to do and the levels are very varied.
  92. Apr 19, 2016
    Es el primer videojuego de Nintendo al que jugué y prácticamente al primero que jugué en mi infancia. En la actualidad puede que ya no resulte complicado manejarlo pero entonces, que no estábamos acostumbrados al 3D con joystic y más aún si eras crío y comenzabas a jugar, el juego era muy complicado. Era un reto aprender a manejarlo pero cuando lo conseguías merecía la pena. Los mundosEs el primer videojuego de Nintendo al que jugué y prácticamente al primero que jugué en mi infancia. En la actualidad puede que ya no resulte complicado manejarlo pero entonces, que no estábamos acostumbrados al 3D con joystic y más aún si eras crío y comenzabas a jugar, el juego era muy complicado. Era un reto aprender a manejarlo pero cuando lo conseguías merecía la pena. Los mundos rebosan personalidad y diversión. Es uno de los mejores videojuegos de la historia y en está en mi lista de favoritos. Marcó los compases que seguirían la mayoría de juegos 3D en la actualidad y reinventó el genero de las plataformas. Mítico y único. Si lo juegas te divertirá seguro. Expand
  93. Apr 13, 2016
    Possibly the greatest game ever made, or at least in the top 5 of every game ever made. This game will be 20 in a few months and no game yet has rivaled what this game has done in gameplay, worlds, soundtrack, graphics (for the technology back then) or immersion.
  94. Apr 13, 2016
    Me parece el plataformas en 3d por excelencia.Los niveles son muy variados y tiene una musica muy pegadiza.Marca un antes y un despues en los videojuegos
  95. Mar 24, 2016
    The standard setter for all 3D platform games to come, Super Mario 64 develops a fantastic camera system and tight controls for the best experience on the Nintendo 64, in my opinion.

Nintendo do it best when it comes to launch titles, and the time you spend trying to capture all 120 stars will be rewarding and fun. For me, it is still one of the best games ever created.
  96. Mar 12, 2016
    I reviewed all of the classic Mario games now, and it's finally time for me to review this game. God damn, this game is awesome. One of my favorite games of all time, actually. To start off, we have the average everyday plot of a Mario game, so I won't have to spoil it. You go into the castle nearby and you jump into a painting to enter a stage. Something similar has been in every 3D MarioI reviewed all of the classic Mario games now, and it's finally time for me to review this game. God damn, this game is awesome. One of my favorite games of all time, actually. To start off, we have the average everyday plot of a Mario game, so I won't have to spoil it. You go into the castle nearby and you jump into a painting to enter a stage. Something similar has been in every 3D Mario game since. Most stages contain boss fights, which is fine by me. However, they're all pretty easy, so don't expect a challenge. Even the Bowser fights are no challenge. Despite this, the level design is great, the soundtrack is awesome, and the graphics... while not the best for the N64, are still pretty good. Overall, Mario 64 is a kick ass game and my favorite Mario game of all time. Expand
  97. Feb 19, 2016
    ótimo jogo. extremamente criativo na questão do mario entrar nos quadros. ótima trilha sonora, senários muito bem feitos, ótima jogabilidade. só faltou uma coisa: o luigi.
  98. Jan 28, 2016
    Ok, I'm not sure about it being a Mario game makes it bad to the kids who play Call of Duty all day... but who cares! This classical Super Mario 64 will keep you on from playing several hours and hours until you complete the game! After completing the game, you have several things to do left or just call the game a collector's item.
  99. Jan 4, 2016
    The granddaddy of all 3d platformers! Super Mario 64 is basically my childhood! It still remains a personal favorite and game I cherish both in the 3d platformer genre as well as all 3D video games in general.
  100. Dec 28, 2015
    ok first of all please ignore most of the negative reviews there pepole that have played games from now went played this game and thought it was bed becuse its not like games now the graphics are very smooth and the game play is great sometimes the camera is meh but this is a game that sparked the generation and changed gameing
  101. Mar 3, 2013
    The perfect Mario. The controls, the environments, the "open world levels", the castle with its secrets... I could go on!

Id buy an HD remake in an instance!

#1 Most Discussed N64 Game of 1996
#1 Most Shared N64 Game of 1996

1. The distribution of power stars in the levels is horrendous. I think 7 stars in one level is more than enough, don't you think? I understand that there are memory constraints, but there either could have been less stars overall, or 1 (maybe 2) more level(s). Definately a problem.
  2. It has quickly grown to become the standard by which almost all other games are measured.
  3. This is definitely a game no game collection should be without...Seriously!