8.8

1. Nov 15, 2019
    Well, many of us were waiting for this game. But the start isn't without issues. Firstly the 16 GB graphics mod to be downloaded as extra for "trailer like" look. Secondly, the multiplayer is currently very bad. Freezing games, fast impossible to play. The players were told, that multi will be in focus. But it does not seem like that. Many improvenets are necessary. I just hope we will getWell, many of us were waiting for this game. But the start isn't without issues. Firstly the 16 GB graphics mod to be downloaded as extra for "trailer like" look. Secondly, the multiplayer is currently very bad. Freezing games, fast impossible to play. The players were told, that multi will be in focus. But it does not seem like that. Many improvenets are necessary. I just hope we will get those quick, or at least sometime.
    With some bug improvement it can reach 8/10, without it just remains at 6.
  2. Mar 31, 2021
    No doubt about it: 'Age of Empires II' is an excellent game. It is iconic, it has rocked many generations of players around the world, it had some genius ideas and its graphics were pretty impressive at that time. But now we are speaking of the Definitive Edition which compiles all DLCs and offers '4K ultra HD remastered graphics'.

First, none of these two last informations appear to be

First, none of these two last informations appear to be true. Graphics are far from being '4K ultra HD' even if you activate the 'Enhanced Graphics Pack' because yes, it isn't included in the main pack game on Steam, you have to 'manually' activate it as you do it for regular add-ons. Just zoom a bit on characters and you will quickly see what an awful bunch of pixels looks like. Furthermore they released a new DLC in January 'Lord of the West'. It costs 10€ in addition to the 20 that the game already demands. Just indecent. Plus can somebody explain me what is the point of releasing a 'Definitive Edition' if you add some more content right after? Plus this game originally came out in 1999 on PC and 2001 on PS2, don't you think it is time to let it go? They already made a 'HD Edition' back in 2013! That's enough! The last DLC only includes two new civilizations and three solo missions, come on! Can you please let this game live without asking money for each and every detail you add ? Can't you fix long-term flaws like the poor pathfinding or the many reported bugs ?

Anyway I have to admit that the few added animations like the buildings falling apart while being destroyed is great. But it is nothing compared to what the game truly needs in order to be perfect. The nostalgia is definitely here but yeah, play it for some hours and you will quickly discover that this game truly is more than 20 years old.
    I truly love it but I can't stand the way players are treated here. Does this nostalgia approach truly needs to be that glitchy and greedy? It's just sad.
  3. Mar 5, 2022
    Games outside politics. Such actions will not be forgotten by the players!

Generally favorable reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 5, 2020
    At the end of the day, I'm not sure what else you could expect from a remaster of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. It was a great game in 1999, and it's aged better than most in its class. If you're looking for some solid RTS gameplay, single-player or multiplayer, look no further than Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    Only few creators can show off with such a good remaster as the creators of Age of Empires. The second instalment almost didn’t age, and its already great gameplay was perfected. [Issue#301]
  3. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2020
    As a person who was raised on Age of Empires I was satisfied with every aspect of the remake. Small missteps didn’t spoil the fun and the addition of new nations only deepened my love for the series. [01/2020, p.82]