8.8

1. Feb 2, 2020
    This is how your remaster a game! I hope you're listening Activision-Blizzard! WC3 - Reforged: Disastapiece

Age of Empires II - Definitive Edition isn't just a simple remaster, the additions are great, quality of life improvements, nice visuals and sound design, all the civs from the HD expansions, regular fixes and patches (sadly it's necessary, there are still glitches). You know

You know it's a success when even the pro players started to play it after release. I personally expected the game to be decent but I thought pros will stay with HD. Thankfully it's so good they play it too.
    What I missed from the original are all in here. There are a few optimization issues too, hopefully it'll be fixed too.

In overall: MASTAPIECE, above average price/value ratio
  2. Dec 6, 2019
    Everything you should expect from an AoEII remaster. Much improved graphics. New campaigns and civs. All previous dlcs. No complaint from me.
  3. Dec 15, 2019
    AoE 2 was my first game ever bought in 1999. I played it to death, probably 2 000 hours. 20 years later we have the remake that everyone wanted.

This time around I'm actually playing the new DLCs and they are amazing! Some of them even combine elements of AoE 1. I just can't stop playing, this game is an absolute masterpiece! 1 month after release and I'm 50+ hours into the game, only playing campaigns.

The game is absolutely amazing, and the only version I will play from now on. I absolutely love this game! I won't say anything more, Age of Empires II Definitive Edition is an experience and cannot be told by words.

10/10.
  4. Feb 1, 2020
    Did not cost much to buy
    Very impressive graphics
    Almost perfect stable online gameplay
    Very / No delay in online game
    So much content
    Developers care for user feedback
    They care for hotfixes and game balance
  5. Feb 2, 2020
    A very well done remake of a classic. Playing through campain missions, it all looked and played how I remembered. Truly the best version of this classic RTS.
  6. Feb 3, 2020
    Excellent games received an excellent remaster. The game has become more beautiful, it works quickly, stably, conveniently. The price is fair.
  7. Dec 21, 2019
    Me first game I have ever played with beter graphics and more! Childhood with modern times! TY for this!
  8. Dec 23, 2019
    O jogo só não é perfeito por ser muito desbalanceado em algumas missões de campanha. É de longe um dos melhores jogos de estratégia que tem (pra muitos o melhor), mas pra mim ele ainda perde pra starcraft 2
  9. Feb 5, 2020
    Gracias por el juego, se nota el cambio y se agradece eternamente lo de las granjas automaticas.
  10. Feb 3, 2020
    Это гениально, лучше никто не смог, поменять графику, интерфейс, добавить новые расы, улучшить ИИ, голос диктора, саундтрек, и все сделать отлично и с любовью к деталям. Близардам бы поучится у вас делать ремастеры , а то рефордж полная шляпа.Это гениально, лучше никто не смог, поменять графику, интерфейс, добавить новые расы, улучшить ИИ, голос диктора, саундтрек, и все сделать отлично и с любовью к деталям. Близардам бы поучится у вас делать ремастеры , а то рефордж полная шляпа.
  11. Feb 2, 2020
    Nostalgia in HD. Game graphics are beautiful, new races are awesome, new multiplayer system is much better and game price is really cheap. Good job Microsoft remastering a classic game.
  12. Feb 2, 2020
    An excellent remaster to a classic. Improved graphics and models, and new quality of life improvements without losing the feel of the original game, and a dedicated developer team, that actively continues to improve the game with feedback from the community.
  13. Feb 5, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Estaba precioso el juego age of empires II DE mejores graficos se quedo espectacular Expand
  14. Jun 28, 2020
    The regular price is just $20 but honestly I'd buy it twice at $60 and still feel like I got my money's worth. Forgotten Empires worked hard and did an amazing job remastering an already masterpiece to somehow make it even better.

You should get it if any ONE (1) of the following are true: *You were a fan of the original *You like any type of RTS games *You like games with an absurd

You should get it if any ONE (1) of the following are true:
    *You were a fan of the original
    *You like any type of RTS games
    *You like games with an absurd amount of single player content (130+ hours to finish all the campaigns)
    *You like chilling and making nice looking cities against easy AI
    *You like playing fun casual matches with friends and doing ridiculous things
    *You like games with good mods and community support
    *You like games with competitive multiplayer
    *You like games where you can make your own custom games within the game

It has something for everyone, maybe too much content even if you like more than two of those criteria, and the kicker is that the devs even care enough to patch the game monthly, adding events and balance changes. The game is thriving, and will continue to be for many years to come.
  15. Feb 8, 2020
    Age of empires was a big part of my childhood growing up in late 90's and early 2000's. When you hear a classic game being remade its always a mixed bag of emotions, yay another reason to get into it again and oh no what if they mess it up (cough blizzard cough). But I have to say Microsoft did an awesome job, this still feels exactly like AoE2 as I remember it only better.
  16. Nov 27, 2021
    I simply love Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition! The campaings and multiplayer will keep you bussy very many hours!
  17. Feb 10, 2021
    It exceeded my expectations, never thought it could be better than the classic version.
  18. Mar 11, 2021
    Best medieval real time strategy game ever made.
    10/10 Graphics
    10/10 Sound + Music
    10/10 Campaigns
    10/10 Multiplayer with dedicated server and modern ranked system.
    500% more content then any other RTS ever made.
  19. Feb 10, 2020
    This is how you remaster an RTS! Not only is it a great nostalgia trip for those who loved it before, but its great for people who never got into Age back in the day but would like to experience it now!
  20. Feb 6, 2020
    FIrst review on metacritics.This game is a masterpiece! You wont get that much history and campain and civs in this price nowadays compared to other games. And this game defined what is definitive.Not reforged!
  21. Feb 6, 2020
    It’s good, but have some bugs.
    Like cannot count the unit kill.
    And the art of war have bug, make me cannot finish
  22. Feb 7, 2020
    Really masterpiece.Best remastered game ever.Just look at Warcraft 3:Reforged and you'll understand me.This game bringing a really feeling of medieval times,many civilizations and other distinctive solutions.
  23. Jun 2, 2020
    Excelente remaster
    El juego se ha vuelto más hermoso, realmente esta genial el apartado grafico, la mejora notable en lo de las granjas
  24. May 26, 2020
    After having played for more than 100 hours I can finally write a review, I have read reviews that say it crashes or does not open, I had no problems in the more than 100 hours played, regarding the game itself I am going to say that simply It is spectacular. It has the same gameplay as the previous ones but the graphics are beautiful, the music is spectacular, the new animations are greatAfter having played for more than 100 hours I can finally write a review, I have read reviews that say it crashes or does not open, I had no problems in the more than 100 hours played, regarding the game itself I am going to say that simply It is spectacular. It has the same gameplay as the previous ones but the graphics are beautiful, the music is spectacular, the new animations are great and the new remastered sounds are incredible. I far exceed my expectations ... in addition to that The Forgotten's campaigns were re-launched and now they also have dialogues.
    Also if you don't like the new AI you can change it for any of the previous games.
    Finally (I don't know if this was implemented in Age HD) the fact that two people control the same civ in the same game was in spectacular detail and rare to experience.
    I just take off my hat before this final edition just great.
  25. Oct 30, 2021
    Amazing game, many childhood memories and with improved visuals, if you like rts play it
  26. Jun 20, 2020
    Great game, a true remaster. A lot of civilizations, competitive multiplayer.
  27. Jul 2, 2020
    For fans of AOE2, this game is a dream come true. The graphics are greatly improved, and the quality of life improvements are very nice (farm auto reseeding, waypoints). The main thing that I think should have been fixed that wasn't was civ balancing.
  28. Jul 21, 2020
    Years later, with the same excitement, Age of Empires 2.
    Gameplay does not different much from the old game. And the game doesn't need it. The gameplay is already great.
    Graphics and interface have been developed and adapted to the present day. The online system has been improved and the ranked match mode has been introduced. There is also an increase in the number of maps and
    Years later, with the same excitement, Age of Empires 2.
    Graphics and interface have been developed and adapted to the present day.
    There is also an increase in the number of maps and nationalities.
    And some new languages ​​have been added to the game.
    I got the same pleasure from Aoe2 again. Thank you ...
  29. Oct 12, 2020
    Such a wonderful game, remastered and improved. This is the perfect RTS, 1000s of hours of entertainment.

I'm not even good at the game but I love it!
  30. Dec 28, 2020
    Wonderful remake of a brilliant game. It looks exactly how I remembered this game, however, running the old one again shows how much work have been done here:
    - beautiful, high res 4k graphics
    - super smooth units animations - no idea how many frames they had before, but now they're beautiful - a lot of user experience and controls improvements, making the game much more easy and
    - beautiful, high res 4k graphics
    - a lot of user experience and controls improvements, making the game much more easy and pleasant to play
    - new civilizations, new campaigns
    - new multi with nice ranked elo based games
    - Art of War tutorials - excellent for mastering basics for competitive multiplayer gaming

To sum up: wonderful, complete and epic RTS game. If you liked original - then you have to play this version. If not and you want to play some complex, beautiful 2D strategy game - then you won't regret this.
  31. Nov 11, 2021
    A perfect example of a remaster done right to one of the best RTS games of all times. Lots of quality of life improvements, new graphics, while keeping the same style of the original AoE2 from 1999, and at the same time there is new content as well, with new civilizations and campaigns. Whether you are into competitive multiplayer, or casual multiplayer with friends, or coop campaigns orA perfect example of a remaster done right to one of the best RTS games of all times. Lots of quality of life improvements, new graphics, while keeping the same style of the original AoE2 from 1999, and at the same time there is new content as well, with new civilizations and campaigns. Whether you are into competitive multiplayer, or casual multiplayer with friends, or coop campaigns or solo campaigns, it's all there. It is really cheap priced for the huge amount of content it offers, you should buy it now, and if you are an RTS fan it's totally a no brainer! Expand
  32. Nov 24, 2021
    Best RTS game with improved graphics.
    This game is a masterpiece . I enjoy each and every gameplay as i can create countless possible strategies to play the game and win . This is a MUST play game .
  33. Dec 16, 2021
    The goat of rts is here the best of the old school game with better graphics and playmode 10/10
  34. Nov 27, 2019
    Perfect game. good old days. Is the same game, but better quality and graphics, You should try it out if you never play it, is for all ages and everyone will enjoy it.
  35. Nov 16, 2019
    I had to make an account and talk about how terrific this game is.
    All the Campaigns of previous versions are there. The developers are tracking the little bugs that arose, the game gets almost daily updates.
    I had to make an account and talk about how terrific this game is.
    All civs feel genuine, exceptional units, deep immersive AI, Perfect package for a very low price, and you get a little history lesson on the side if desired. Perfect game, and it's only getting better with every update. Excellent.

What bugs me is this review:

"Sorry but: Bad performance, censorship with corpse and audio (especially women), glitches and bugs, campaigns deleted because some minorities believe is "bad" for this era, very bad online at the moment, extremely disk usage when game is opened with lot of freezing.""

This all is utterly False!

All campaigns of all the Expansions are just there. The 'death' sound is a bug which has been tracked by developers. How this is just women related, is just completely false.
    Yes there were some glitches, but with the daily patch all has been resolved for me. Even on my lower pc, everything runs smooth, if you cancel the fog of war animations.
    Online is working fine.

It bugs me that some player gives a bad score based on assumptions. Which are not true at all or evn close to what the developers had in mind. There is no racism or deleting of campaigns at all. It's a historical game, with every expansion included, and even 4 more civs to accompany the many civs already present. And all feel genuine. So there you have it, the perfect historical RTS for the perfect price.
  36. Nov 21, 2019
    Masterpiece! The best RTS of all times with a great graphic engine and dedicated servers for Multiplayer. Ridiculous amount of content for single player. Enjoy it forever.
    9/10 (Optimization)
  37. Nov 16, 2019
    Its amazing. Do not listen to the haters, buy the game, now, youre missing one of the best rts games of all time. IN HD.
  38. Dec 5, 2019
    Great game. I've never played the original one but I'm really digging this one. Co-op is good and has many custom maps and mods. Totally recommended.
  39. Dec 8, 2019
    Yes! I've been waiting for this game! This is the best game i have ever played. I still remember 1999 when I first played this game. I'm very happy to recall the memory of that time.
  40. Dec 20, 2019
    Best Age of Empires for the money. Played for many hours and never experienced any crashes. Loved this game as a kid and still play it to this day. This game is a gem, a classic.
  41. Dec 24, 2019
    Ein würdige Definitive Edition!!
    Patches werden gross nach gereicht und auf die Community wird gehört, eines der besten Spiele das sehr gut gealtert ist.
  42. Dec 27, 2019
    Well, the game is an improved graphics version of the same age of empires that we have always had, nothing as impressive as the third game with new mechanics and graphics superior to the old games.
  43. Nov 15, 2019
    It’s all here. 35 civilizations, 25+ campaigns with 150+ hours of content, new multiplayer style training tutorials, a new game mode. Improved graphics, animations and sound. Server based multiplayer. Quality of life improvements. Reasonably priced. Pretty much everything you could hope for in a remaster. A lot of love went into this, it’s far superior to the HD edition.

Pathfinding is

Pathfinding is still stuck in the 90s and potato pc players may struggle to run the game well before optimization is improved but everything else is glorious.
  44. Nov 25, 2019
    Great game! One of the main reasons I give high score is because Both community and developer are still working hard for this game, despite the 20 years release of the initial game. Yes, for some people might not run very smooth (with 7+ years old pc) and yes, it does require some money even if u have all the editions till now. But the game is STILL alive, and what I love is - that theyGreat game! One of the main reasons I give high score is because Both community and developer are still working hard for this game, despite the 20 years release of the initial game. Yes, for some people might not run very smooth (with 7+ years old pc) and yes, it does require some money even if u have all the editions till now. But the game is STILL alive, and what I love is - that they let MODS work, they continue to improve the performance and will release more and more patches. Good job to the developers and community! Both are key-elements in the success of the game! Expand
  45. Nov 26, 2019
    This is one of the best remastered I've seen of all the games. Beautiful picture and a lot of small changes
  46. Nov 20, 2019
    The best version of AoE2! Buy it and no hesitate any moment. If you are a fan of previous editions it is an obligatory purchase.
  47. Nov 16, 2019
    Excellent. Its everything old AoE2 fan was hoping for and even more. Best gameplay is remain with a lot quality of life improvements. Graphics and animations are amazing. Music is also very nice, I like it. There are all campaigns ever released, including new ones from hd remaster + completely new campaign and new civilisations. This beast is priced very low for what it can offer to old orExcellent. Its everything old AoE2 fan was hoping for and even more. Best gameplay is remain with a lot quality of life improvements. Graphics and animations are amazing. Music is also very nice, I like it. There are all campaigns ever released, including new ones from hd remaster + completely new campaign and new civilisations. This beast is priced very low for what it can offer to old or new players. Just grab it now. I have potato pc and it still plays very well around 100fps with ultra hd textures and everything maxed out. Just turn off vsync, it will triple your fps. enjoy the briliant game. Expand
  48. Nov 16, 2019
    The game is a phenomenal refresh. Amazing audio, new civilizations, all existing content in a new package with some new one on top. It looks and feels like the classic title but it's better in all respects.

Only negative, at the time of writing, it suffers from some performance issues if your hardware is on the down side, but still remains playable at lower settings and hopefully a patch will come out soon.
  49. Jan 31, 2020
    Great game but you need good machine to run it. You will need a lot of RAM, VRAM or virtual memory. There is some bugs but they are releasing patches constantly to fix it. The graphics are awesome and gameplay much better
  50. Mar 6, 2022
    It's simple; if you loved the original you will love this one. Many QOL improvements and better graphics and features etc.

If you are new to this franchise or type of game, give it time and you will learn to love it. It's got great campaigns, history lessons and great gameplay solo and with friends, with or against A.I.
  51. Jul 14, 2021
    I highly recommend this game both for old-school and the new Age of Empires players. The balance of the units and the resources are very good.

Still, it needs some fixes for the AI actions. The AI somehow finds a way to breach into your lands, even if you close any quarter. I think there are some exploits on the maps. And some of the maps are unbalanced for their wildlife. For example, sometimes the Black Forest has lots of leopards in packs. You need to send guards with your villagers if you want to send your villagers far away from your town centre.

I can say that in conclusion, the game is still can playable, but AI bugs sometimes being annoying. Also, they should fix some of the economic balances in the maps.

There is still a bug in the game, and it is there since the beginning of the time; villagers highly tend to stuck themselves between buildings.
  52. Feb 27, 2022
    Jedine stvari koje mi se ne svidjaju sto realno postane jako repetativno, nadjes najbolje jedinice i u globalu svaka misija pocne da izgleda isto na kraju to me samo smara inace jedna od naj igrica nema tu sta. Ali jbg vec je matora itd ali realno sam se zabavio igrajuci.
  53. Oct 8, 2020
    Эпичная игра как в старые добрые времена, графика порадовала, все красиво и красочно, фанаты залипнут не на один день, поиграть стоит, так как ничего подобного уже нет много лет. Классика жанра 8/10
  54. Aug 10, 2020
    Jogo de estratégia como eu sempre gosto, sempre amei essa franquia, só acho que deveria ter uma versão bem adaptada para Xbox One.
  55. May 18, 2020
    This is what war 3 remaster should have been, remade the same mechanics but with everything enhanced. Constant patches to the game so far, there are good tournaments going on too and seems like a small scene is shaping up.

the only gripe is the netcode seems abit poor for a game that is RTS focused
  56. Jun 16, 2020
    Still loving this masterpiece 25 years later. And it’s better than ever. Great campaigns, but even greater online play!
  57. Oct 15, 2020
    One of the best RTS games of all time, addictive beyond belief. This game launched 20 years ago and still tops the RTS charts on Steam.
  58. Apr 22, 2021
    Good version of age of empires 2. Graphics are ok, game play is like you know. d
  59. May 17, 2021
    The definite edition scores a lot better than the HD edition to me. It performs, at least for me, a lot better and offers great quality of life additions, amazing sound and visuals combined with regular support.
  60. Jul 30, 2021
    Fairly high-quality remaster of the legendary game. High-quality redrawn textures, support for modern systems, new features, factions
  61. Sep 29, 2021

62. Jan 2, 2022
    This is the first game i met which is entitled age of empires 2 Age Of Kings and now has a Definitive Edition Version. I think this is the best game among age of empires universe.
  63. Nov 22, 2021
    The truly definitive edition of the IMHO greatest RTS game of all time. And the developers are still frequently dropping new content. Well done.
  64. Mar 15, 2022
    Wo fange ich an? So geht ein Remaster und nicht anders. Ich finde das Remaster sogar besser als das Original Game. der einzige kritische punkt bei mir ist der soundtrack.
  65. Apr 8, 2022
    One of the best strategy game I ever played or the best. If I had to explain it with 1 word I'd say fantastic

Generally favorable reviews - based on 32 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 5, 2020
    At the end of the day, I'm not sure what else you could expect from a remaster of Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. It was a great game in 1999, and it's aged better than most in its class. If you're looking for some solid RTS gameplay, single-player or multiplayer, look no further than Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    Only few creators can show off with such a good remaster as the creators of Age of Empires. The second instalment almost didn’t age, and its already great gameplay was perfected. [Issue#301]
  3. CD-Action
    Jan 10, 2020
    As a person who was raised on Age of Empires I was satisfied with every aspect of the remake. Small missteps didn’t spoil the fun and the addition of new nations only deepened my love for the series. [01/2020, p.82]