- Summary: Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings is the sequel to the award-winning, best-selling real-time strategy game "Age of Empires." Age of Empires II spans a thousand years, from the fall of Rome through the Middle Ages in which players lead one of 13 civilizations into greatness. The game keepsAge of Empires II: The Age of Kings is the sequel to the award-winning, best-selling real-time strategy game "Age of Empires." Age of Empires II spans a thousand years, from the fall of Rome through the Middle Ages in which players lead one of 13 civilizations into greatness. The game keeps the epic scope of Age of Empires' game play while evolving the combat and economic features. [Microsoft]… Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Age of Empires II: Age of Kings Movie 1
Positive: 21 out of 21
Mixed: 0 out of 21
Negative: 0 out of 21
Yahoo!While those of you with hypercritical eyes will argue there's room for improvement, AoE 2 is the best RTS game of the year to date, and as such is worthy of our GDR Gold Award.
AOK is as addictive as crack, but at the same time, as refined as a 30 year old cognac. Package all that into a drop dead gorgeous graphics engine and it's easy to see that Ensemble and Microsoft have a real winner on their hands; AOK is going to be around for a long time.
ZuffuluZT.May 1, 2008Best RTS game of all time. Period. ;) Seriously this game has everything you ever wanted in an RTS game. The graphics may not be up to date Best RTS game of all time. Period. ;) Seriously this game has everything you ever wanted in an RTS game. The graphics may not be up to date anymore but since it's 2D it doesn't grow old as fast as 3D titles do. (look at 3D games of that time and you know what I mean ...) The gameplay is just awesome, because it has such a great balance between economy and warfare, which allows you to build huge cities and train enormous armies to besiege them. Besides that there is just an endless amount of stuff to do in this game, because there are so many different factions, units, strategies, campaigns, scenarios and probably the most easy to use map editor of all time. It is already 9 years old and I am still playing it every now and then, because it just has so much more to offer than all the other RTS games that were released since then, especially AOE3, which was really disappointing to me. There has never been such an addicting RTS game out there, so if you still don't own it, buy it! It is more than worth it. And if you already have it, go and play it again! It is really so much more enjoying than all the modern RTS games with fancy graphics but no substance.… Expand
May 11, 2014Well, to start: I don't believe how this game got less than some CoD ones, and less than those all crappy games that have only graphics.
AgeWell, to start: I don't believe how this game got less than some CoD ones, and less than those all crappy games that have only graphics.
Age of empires II is one of the most creative games I've ever seen (suffered thousands of plagiarism after being released). It is basically two games in one! The scenario editor, a powerful editor which allows you to create your own world, your own game in any style (RPG, B&D, and whatever), and have the awesome multiplayer, in which you can load your own scenario, or play one of the several modes it have!
It deserves a lot more than 9.0 (in my opinion should be awarded by a 9.5-9.8, because it's (if not the best) one of the best games ever! To summarize, I will write the positive and negative points bellow:
- Awesome gameplay, and perfectly balanced;
- Scenario editor with thousands of possibilities, letting you make anything!;
- It doens't takes that much money from you (like those recent games, which any item costs around 10 Dollars);
- Is the first one to have this theme (and well-succeeded);
- Great graphics (for its time), overcoming many games made two or three years past it!;
- Almost no annoying bug, just helpful bugs (like invisible unit trick, invisible tile trick, heal unit trick, etc);
- It can be a noob game, for relax, or can be a fuqin hardcore game (depending the way you play it!);
- Quite good ES campaigns;
- Many sound effects of good quality.
- Good voice actors;
- Some annoying pathfinding bugs;
- Repetitive combat sounds;
- Shadows aren't very realistic;
- Water sucks;
- ES campaigns are too lengthy, and sometimes boring to play;
- Some not well done objects (such as Flowers 1,2,3,4, cracks, etc);
- Too dumb AI (However you can design your own);
- Stupid Villagers, that walks in a disorganized way and sometimes can slow your economy down;
- Some bugs could be solved down before releasing.
So those are all I think about AOK. Despite having some bugs, it still awesome and (IMO) the best game ever! (Better than those all recent overrated games).
Play it by a whole before judging it just by the multiplayer/random map. One half of the game is in the scenario editor, DO NOT MISS IT!… Expand
Oct 19, 2016possibly my favorite game of all time and not even slightly due to sentimental value. When i first started playing it i absolutely loved it,possibly my favorite game of all time and not even slightly due to sentimental value. When i first started playing it i absolutely loved it, even though i absolutely sucked (literally everyone beat me) only after playing for a while did i get competent. And i didn't start playing it till like a decade after it came out even still i found it an amazing game. It's just the way in which the different civilizations are balanced out and the awesome real time strategy.. its really just amazing. Realize though that if your just playing single player things could get highly repetitive to fully appreciate the game you really need atleast 6 people playing.… Expand
Mar 3, 2011This is one of the best games you will ever play. It is fun, addictive and even historically accurate! Its got unique historicalThis is one of the best games you will ever play. It is fun, addictive and even historically accurate! Its got unique historical civilistations all with their own unique unit and civ bonus the map editor give the potential to wages seiges against castles and make your own fun maps. The graphics ever though they are older don't let the game down in anyway. A very balanced game the city building and civilasation evolotuion is just as important as burning you enemy to the ground. This game is a must buy forget age of empires 3 thats good but this is better! when i say this i a must buy i mean it go on amazon now and buy it! i comand you!… Expand
Mar 6, 2017One of the classic PC games. Endless hours have been spent on this game and with an HD remaster out now, endless more could be spent on itOne of the classic PC games. Endless hours have been spent on this game and with an HD remaster out now, endless more could be spent on it again. A must play game.… Expand
DesmondLoJun 18, 2009I think this game is "best of 2D RTS game all time" not best RTS all time, is nearly prefect. I found a fewer bugs and it's graphics isI think this game is "best of 2D RTS game all time" not best RTS all time, is nearly prefect. I found a fewer bugs and it's graphics is prefect expect dead and decay graphics (framrate problem). I recommended to play this RTS game, a historical RTS. (Today, I am still play it). -2009… Expand