7.7

1. Aug 15, 2019
    Generic. This is basically a rehash of every 4x game the last 2 decades and adds nothing new to the genre. I played the 2nd scenario in the campaign and never went back to it again. It has a very boring mid and late game and every aspect of the game has been done better in other games, which begs the question of why even bother making this?

Combat is just copy of every turn based game

Combat is just copy of every turn based game ever made that uses cover mechanics. Character development is actually pretty narrow in this game with very few options for building a character and about as many options for units as a RTS like starcraft which is actually not a good thing since this is supposed to be a RPG/Strategy. It lacks RPG customization depth especially for a PC game. It might be ok for a console game but I am not sure since I skipped this generation.

Story wise it leaves a lot to be desired. Character development is almost non-existent and there is really no drive to want to push the story forward. These things would be ok if the game play was better but given that game play itself is mediocrity this could have helped. Heck even better graphics would have helped this game but even that is about 10-15 years old.

Overall, if you were to buy a 4x and it had to be sci-fi then the game to have is probably Stellaris. XCom, and GalCiv 3, though it took a few steps backward from GalCiv 2.- If you dont care about settings and are ok with fantasy, then the obvious choice is Elemental: Fallen Enchantress. It simply has a lot more depth albeit, it is dated.
  2. Aug 8, 2019
    I have spent many years playing Civilization and this looked similar so I thought I'd take a look. Suffice to say this is nothing like Civilization. I could not figure out what I was supposed to do and even when I could it was not clear why I was doing it.

The interface was far too busy with too much going on. I definite sense of sensory overload and worse still no real tutorial just a talking head spouting far too much information to actually be meaningful.

I also got the sense that you had little control over how decisions are made and a lot of it is controlled by the AI.

I'll persist a little longer but so far not very satisfying. Indeed quite frustrating. I suspect this may be refund territory.
  3. Aug 7, 2019
    Alpha Centauri dumbed down, and made utterly unoffensive, for console children. There is no philosophy, interesting story, or science behind the game. Like a McDonalds meal of a strategy game.
  4. Aug 10, 2019
    Устаревшая графика, убогие анимации, отсутствие физики, маленькое древо исследования, скучные, однообразные надоедающие бои. Очередная поделка людей которые сами не играют в игры. Из-за малого количества стратегий,вечерами по часику можно поиграть. Цена вообще другой разговор, такая халтурная поделка не может стоить более 500 рублейУстаревшая графика, убогие анимации, отсутствие физики, маленькое древо исследования, скучные, однообразные надоедающие бои. Очередная поделка людей которые сами не играют в игры. Из-за малого количества стратегий,вечерами по часику можно поиграть. Цена вообще другой разговор, такая халтурная поделка не может стоить более 500 рублей
  5. Oct 19, 2019
    1) A boring and complicated map gameplay with a cheating AI that knows your base positions from the start 2) 90% of upgrades in the game are useless and the modding system is not fun 3) Very slow gameplay even during combat it makes you want to go to sleep 4) Boring objectives everything feels very generic with a forgetable plot and stupid weird cartoon characters (space dinosaurs riding1) A boring and complicated map gameplay with a cheating AI that knows your base positions from the start 2) 90% of upgrades in the game are useless and the modding system is not fun 3) Very slow gameplay even during combat it makes you want to go to sleep 4) Boring objectives everything feels very generic with a forgetable plot and stupid weird cartoon characters (space dinosaurs riding by amazons with ecology sensivities what a stupid idea)... Age of Wonders 3 was a much more mature and interesting game from this anyway i got bored during the final campaign missions and just uninstalled the game. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 42 Critic Reviews

1. Jun 29, 2020
    Truly exemplifying the maxim of 'too much of a good thing,' there is simply too much here that bogs itself down. The battle and strategic systems have some really cool and interesting ideas, but there is far too much... stuff that takes both of them down a notch. The strategic layer has way too many things to do with too much consequence, and the battle system takes too long, and is replete with a dizzying number of little things that must be taken into account, lest destruction result. It's really too bad as the core of the game is extremely solid, yet there is just too much in the way for it to shine.
  2. Feb 3, 2020
    Of course, this mix-and-match approach will only be as good as the imagination that goes into its parts. Paradox tried something similar with Stellaris, using a set of opposing attributes. But that game’s spreadsheet-dry sci-fi doesn’t have room for the kind of glee, personality, and interactivity that drives Planetfall. Stellaris is the rasp of pages turning in a ledger. Run your index finger across the paper, along the row and then down the column, find a number that supposedly suggests the high-concept sci-fi in one of those dull classics you felt obligated to read and even more obligated to pretend to like. But Planetfall is a shelf of old sci-fi dime store novels in the back of a tiny bookstore inexplicably still in business. Pick the lurid title that calls out to you best. Pull it out and delight at the splash of imaginative cover art. This is your story for today.
  3. Jan 7, 2020
    Overall, Age of Wonders: Planetfall is a solid sequel that differentiates itself sufficiently and improves upon the franchise's formula. It has a diverse mix of units and races, wonderful artwork, and what appears to be a massive range of strategies. Customizing your forces with an array of passive effects and active abilities is handled effortlessly by the UI, and it's very rewarding to use it in the tactical combat. The campaign should take anywhere from 30 to 60 hours to complete, depending on how quickly you play, and that's before stepping into the random scenarios and multiplayer, where a wide range of options and customizations can cater to your play style.