8.4

1. Oct 12, 2014
    Horrible game....dunno what everyone else played. First off the game was really fun but by the time I finished it I was bores out of my mind. It the same run and hide rinse and repeat over and over again for hours. When you die you think "oh well lets try a different approach," nope doesn't work here. I also had a pretty glitchy gameplay experience where the alien would be on the otherHorrible game....dunno what everyone else played. First off the game was really fun but by the time I finished it I was bores out of my mind. It the same run and hide rinse and repeat over and over again for hours. When you die you think "oh well lets try a different approach," nope doesn't work here. I also had a pretty glitchy gameplay experience where the alien would be on the other side of the map while I was hiding and run directly toward my hiding spot and kill me without me moving and with all of the extra features turned off. This happens constantly and kept me from progressing for hours. Waste of 40 bucks for an overrated, overhyped game. Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2014
    Ok, let's put it straight. Alien Isolation IS an aesthetically nice game. Nice graphics, lots of atmosphere, made in the true spirit of the movie it draws inspiration from.

BUT... it's just a long, boring, sluggish, pedantic exercise in stealth movement and "trial and error" approach. It's DAMN HARD! While the Alien AI is as rigid as a plank (it's totally scripted), it takes MANY tries to overcome a single section.

And, above all, you have to walk, and walk, and walk, through a neverending obscurity, along winding tunnels, winding paths, winding corridors that takes you to another corridor, another path, another door, with NOTHING that happens in between.

You can actually spend hours (I mean it!) under a table, or in closet, just to be instantly killed and have to start it again from the last save point. And, yes, the poor saving system doesn't help to get out from this quagmire of frustration. FRUSTRATION and STRESS at its best.
    To the point that, at a certain moment, while you are playing, it's impossibile not to ask to yourself what's the point of all this wandering around, opening doors "Zelda style" (once you need crowbar, then you need a decoder, then some sort of lance...), repeating the same section again and again and again until you get it right.

Alien Isolation is a very good simulator of an hell of a life. It simulates very well how stressfull can be being chased by an invulnerable alien, and some other guys you don't have the slightest chance to overcome in combat. As such simulator, the game is tense. But one should accept this level of frustration and stress ONLY if he were actually try to escape from an Alien unbeatable creture! Got my point?
    A lot (a lot!) of wasted potential
  3. Oct 9, 2014
    They got the Alien's movement wrong. This ruined the game completely for me. The alien isn't authentic to the movies where it was a STEALTHY predator that slithered around the walls/ceiling/vents to kill its prey - mainly by ambushing. Instead it walks/runs upright and never on all fours. The alien emits LOUD stomping noises when it moves (think elephant stampeding). You can hear itThey got the Alien's movement wrong. This ruined the game completely for me. The alien isn't authentic to the movies where it was a STEALTHY predator that slithered around the walls/ceiling/vents to kill its prey - mainly by ambushing. Instead it walks/runs upright and never on all fours. The alien emits LOUD stomping noises when it moves (think elephant stampeding). You can hear it coming a mile away.. it completely breaks the immersion of the game. Expand
  4. Apr 23, 2015
    Wanted to love this game so bad. Love Aliens and all the lore that goes with it and hated the disrespect the Xenomorphs were given in video games that basically made them fast zombies. However, this game goes too far the other way by making the Xenomorph a loud, stomping, unstoppable killing machine that never goes farther then 10 meters away from you. However, the game also makes theWanted to love this game so bad. Love Aliens and all the lore that goes with it and hated the disrespect the Xenomorphs were given in video games that basically made them fast zombies. However, this game goes too far the other way by making the Xenomorph a loud, stomping, unstoppable killing machine that never goes farther then 10 meters away from you. However, the game also makes the Xenomorph a blind idiot that will follow you into a room with no exits but not bother to check each locker or even under each table. As a result you will spend a majority of the game crawling around from one table or locker to another while the Alien stomps around and makes loud noises. You know, like it NEVER did in any of the movies. The Xenomorph also does a great job of taking away any joy you may receive from exploring this awesome spaceship and all the lore it is packed with. For example you will find several computer terminals with email and audio files that provide background information on how the space-station went to hell and how the Xenomorph got there. However, the game doesn't pause when you access a terminal so you have to speed read every thing and then hide in a locker to listen to the audio file. What makes matters worse and why I am writing this negative review is the save system. The games uses a checkpoint system which may result in you having to replay segments of the game for 20-30 mins (depending on how long you have to hide in a locker). I am willing to die in order to explore the space station but not if it results in having waste 30 mins of my life replaying the mission. Every time I had to walk by a computer or a room for the sake of finishing the mission or finding a save point it made me sick. This game has a great story and environment too bad you can't enjoy it because you are either crawling around the floor or hiding in a locker. The best way to enjoy this game is by watching someone else play it on Youtube. Expand
  5. Jul 19, 2015
    It is beautiful graphically.

But the gameplay just sucks... You are basically hunted down like a rabbit during most of the game. You can keep your weapon in its holster because it is almost useless. When you die, you cannot try another approach, because there's only one way of going through the levels... it is linear as hell... I really liked Deus Ex: HR, you could try many
    It is beautiful graphically.

I really liked Deus Ex: HR, you could try many approaches, stealth, talking your way in, shoooting your way in...
    Nope here you will just be crouching your way through the path that the designers decided it was the only path meant to be. It is sometimes even more obvious when your way is blocked down by a 15cm height object and that stupid amanda cannot jump over...
  6. Nov 8, 2015
    Bugs and more bugs. 1st day 3 times crashed.
    Another console port that burn your GPU.
    The graphics are good for an indie game, but cann't compare it with an AAA.
  7. Oct 22, 2014
    I don't think the high ratings here are in any way justified. The game doesn't offer many mechanics to play with: Not even a hand full ! Throughout more than the first half of the game you won't even need anything else than sneaking. That makes gathering materials optional along with crafting and using items.

Yeah - the game gets better towards the end but why does more than the first

Yeah - the game gets better towards the end but why does more than the first half have to be so lame: You either run around or sneak around and that's it. Another thing I noticed is that some of the other characters' animations look clunky - like action figures. Not a big deal but because that happens mostly during the lame first and a bit half of the game it just adds to the misery of a bad first impression.

The levels repeat a lot as you'll get tools / progress to unlock doors later and have to re-visit places a lot. You'll also enter new areas as the game progresses. Because you're on a space station everything always looks the same. All these points are neither good nor bad in my opinion. But I feel like it's important to state this. An effort was made to have the different station parts look a little different and like what they were used for.

The story is ever present and becomes better towards the end as things finally begin to come into motion. One thing I didn't like about the game's design around the story was the "Next objective: Do **** !" quest-like design. I'm the player: Either allow me to figure out what to do or leave some clues / hints but don't you dare to order me around in a survival game !

Because of the linear story, linear progression, linear objectives etc. the game's replay value is very low - unless you like running / sneaking around. Also the game's divided into safe zones and danger zones depending on where you are so that you can either run around with nothing to worry about or have to walk / sneak / hide. Later thankfully everything becomes a danger zone so that there's finally some survival involved... and then we get the flame thrower which screws it all again.

The Alien is also a factor:

Electro-reception and pheromones would be two additional ways how an Alien could sense it's prey. The Alien in this game is pretty blind when it comes to hiding in the shadows but seems to have good ears - even though it has none. That and it will also *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* while moving. I guess that were all choices made in favor of making the concept of sneaking around work. Don't expect a clever Alien that'll wait for you, hidden at a key point. Instead it'll stomp around in the open. One exception to that is when it'll actually wait in a vent above the player, easily spotted and heard by the slime dripping from there.

The ending of the game also disappoints as it's a complete cliff hanger.

I don't think that any rating above 40% would be justified for this game. The game offers a far too powerful sneaking / hide in the shadows and silly lockers etc. method and else offers little to no mechanics to make things interesting. The Alien is on god mode which is another way to make this game work. All in all I'm disappointed.

Watch gameplay videos to get an impression of the game first. I think it's over-hyped.
  8. Nov 14, 2014
    What a sad sad waste of prestigious IP.

Now now. Let me be frank. This was a complete waste of my, and all of my friends' time. We had actually hoped that this would prove to be THE thing of the year. But it turned out to to be a bitter plagiarization of Alien movies' themes, Amnesia-like game mechanics and jump scares. One must understand that if a game identifying itself as a game
    What a sad sad waste of prestigious IP.

One must understand that if a game identifying itself as a game of the horror genre must supply a constant stream of psychological stress (Ok, this is my own opinion, but do bear with me), but in reality this game boiled down to somewhat random occurences of a black mass of alien origin appearing (from a cooling vent or some such random place that you would totally expect) but not really having any actual meaning other than rubbery laughs.

In summary, it truely left a rotten after taste which is hard to get a rid of. Bravo.
  9. Nov 14, 2014
    This game is a disaster.

Blank graphics, stupid stealth and idiotic mini-games (wait until you'll get to an observatory. Or better ditch the game before). Pros: it's a game in Alien universe. Cons: Everything else. Seriously, we had a space horror game before. It was called Dead Space. If this game (Alien: Isolation) was released 10 years ago, it probably will be a world hit.
    This game is a disaster.

Pros: it's a game in Alien universe.
    Cons: Everything else.

Seriously, we had a space horror game before. It was called Dead Space.
    Nowadays? Meh.

Just one experience from the start of the game: I was able to sneak out from hospital from alien walking around in corridor. I've crawled to the door being few meters from alien, opened the door, shut behind me, walked two steps... and saw the same alien again. What's the frigging point of my stealthy crawling?

A few times alien did saw me, like it turned right to me when my head was sticking in plain sight in open space... and nothing happened, it went to do it's chores of cleaning dirty air ducts.

Second major disappointment - designers avoided placing mirrors across all the game. However you'll have about three times where you're about to put up the space suit and player got the helm with reflective surface in her hands... Guess what? You ain't reflected there, it's like you're a vampire walking around.

And for the top comment "Visually beautiful, creates a sense of actually being in the Nostromo"...
    Guys, really? This game is not about being in Nostromo. During the course of the game you'll _never_ be in Nostromo. Did you ever play the game?

Good thing main station was named a Sevastopol. It's kinda symbolic, using name of site of major disasters, where russians had to sink their own fleet.

Overall experience - you've managed to waste an extraordinary potential. Good luck with that.
  10. Dec 9, 2014
    I awake from cryo-sleep to see a drinking bird toy (without required water) and a sumo wrestler dolly. Why is there a drinking bird and a sumo wrestler dolly? There must be a reason but there's no time to figure that out right now, I've got aliens to deal with. I progress down the generic hallway dispatching green colored things like a pro. I pick up something in this or that until I findI awake from cryo-sleep to see a drinking bird toy (without required water) and a sumo wrestler dolly. Why is there a drinking bird and a sumo wrestler dolly? There must be a reason but there's no time to figure that out right now, I've got aliens to deal with. I progress down the generic hallway dispatching green colored things like a pro. I pick up something in this or that until I find exactly what I must have needed all along, clothes! Right, I must be naked from my cryo-sleep! I get dressed and take some time to play with the shower "greenie" a bit... too bad I'm already dressed... next scene...

I'm told we're approaching something or other so I prepare myself for what is to come... but wait... everyone just sits down and looks at useless monitors while one guy paces between the windows. What to do... hmmm... I begin searching the floor looking for greenies. Finding nothing of use I begin backtracking clicking a few more greenies with whatevers in them and stow them away because surely I'll need these whatevers for whenever. I wander around for a good 15 minutes realizing I've now circled everything there is to see several times.... Giving up I access me PDA (Google) only to discover that there's a magical folder I have to activate ten feet behind me with no indication whatsoever of it's magical progressive properties. If only the folder were green... Anyway, immediately after I activate the magical folder I find myself out in space with my two friends, A and B, when suddenly something happens and my friends are unceremoniously stripped away from me! I'm left alone with no idea of what just happened. Poor A and B. Next scene...

I peer through the condensation of my space suit trying to get my bearings. A few spins around the room and something green comes into focus. I approach this mysterious greenie and activate it. Something happens and I'm standing there looking at space suits behind glass. Not knowing what just happened I spin around a few times realizing the condensation from my space suit is gone! What just happened? Did I wipe the glass clean? Did an alien do it? After a few moments I realized I must have neatly leapt out of my suit and carefully placed it into it's glass covered container with hardly a thought! Wow! Next scene...

I find myself entering a destroyed area with hardly a light in place. My first inclination, as everyone's would be, is to ask the darkness if anyone is there to help me. Receiving no assistance I begin fumbling around for something green. The fumbling is disconcerting due to structures failing, things exploding and lights swinging due to my mere presence but I must press on for whatever reason so I push forward... Shortly after that I discover a green terminal and begin poking at it until 3 people burst out of one door, run across the room and disappear through another door. I wonder where they're rushing off too. Perhaps something green? I quickly chase after them only to discover they've vanished and both the door they entered from and the door they left through are completely locked. Maybe they clicked something green?

I can't even keep this up...

This game is so bad I uninstalled it before I ever saw an alien.

I give it a 3 for graphics and sound and that's after getting it for 50% off.

Save your money.
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    Some people will love this game however if you don't like wandering around looking for switches with a stupidly annoying physic alien chasing you everywhere then it's not the game for you.

For the first couple of hours it's great but it soon becomes very repetitive and the alien is just annoying after a short time. Sometimes there a good hints where to go on the map and other times

Sometimes there a good hints where to go on the map and other times you are left wandering around for ages only to have missed a small passage way or item lying somewhere. It should have hints for everything on easy mode because wandering around pointlessly with a annoying Alien chasing you isn't any fun and that's the bulk of this game.
    Play it with a trainer, use a guide as soon as you become lost because it's always some stupid little thing you missed that wasn't pointed out on the map and it can take ages to go back looking everywhere.
  12. Sep 18, 2016
    Horrible disappointment. I though this game is about survival against the Alien but unfortunately it is about sneaking past the room full of armed humans that can kill you in a second. And even if after half hour of trying you manage to sneak up to one of them and knock him down, you can't even pick up his gun (duh), and guess what, the others kill you 3 seconds later.
  13. Jan 5, 2015
    Boring as hell! It's one of them games where you have no idea where to go and you have to find a part or turn something on and you just spend ages looking for it. I'm already extremely bored and I haven't even come across the alien or any androids yet.
  14. Oct 10, 2014
    Isolation, graphically impressive and that is it. You will run down empty corridors, sometimes with a few enemies, sometimes with nothing, collecting crafting items for new gadgets to fend off enemies, yet these gadgets do not need to be crafted as the A.I. is bad. That "unpredictable" Alien A.I.? It's very predictable, I played on Hard and stood right in front of it, it didn't register,Isolation, graphically impressive and that is it. You will run down empty corridors, sometimes with a few enemies, sometimes with nothing, collecting crafting items for new gadgets to fend off enemies, yet these gadgets do not need to be crafted as the A.I. is bad. That "unpredictable" Alien A.I.? It's very predictable, I played on Hard and stood right in front of it, it didn't register, in fact the only time it did register is when it found another A.I. or I had to shoot it.

The level designs are just loops of circles that are confusing, to make it worse you have the most obscure way point system there is. Speaking of systems the save system is something that died back in the late 90's. You must manually save (no problem there,) at checkpoints (problem there.) There are 18 chapters, each chapter takes over an hour to complete, that is over double the length then the average game, something people would not speak out about, but when you get this linear and this boring there's a limit.

The story can be covered in one sentence and the play time is horrendous, 12 - 20+ hours of running down the same hallway to open doors. By hour 6 I was so bored I was done, I could not take a single second more. There is nothing to drive the player forwards. What's the point of going to open a door that you know is not only locked, but you'll have to turn on the power and restart the terminal as well.

I think I know why this rated so high, and that's because Metacritic DELETES REVIEWS! Yes this is the SECOND time I've had to rewrite a review because of silencing, here's hoping they will leave this one up because God forbid someone doesn't like a game.
  15. Oct 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am very pleased and thrilled by this game. I am of older Age but still active enough, to get Adrenalin sometimes....The very high challenge, the hairraising Tension and last b.n. least the athmosphere in Alien Isolation provide much of it.
    There are some Points which disappoint me: As a beginner, I started the game in medium difficulty and have reached the middle of Mission 6 so far. I must say, the critics concerning the very problematic "save" issue are true: What the h*** playing for 45 minutes or more and to be just wiped out at the end of the Level? The developers could have arranged a save System, which gives a tiny bit more of flexibility. The hardcore, nearly sadistic absolute "survive or die"-System is just frustrating and adds nothing to suspense.
    Many other critics have mentioned this fact. This is a GAME (fun), not a test to withstand torture....!
    Humans, who are hostile towards me, can freely wander around, Play with their Revolvers and survive!
    Only with MY initiative and risk, the "Alien" decides to punish them....? This is not right!
    With the rest of the game, I am very satisfied.
  16. Dec 25, 2016
    You are Ripley. Everyone wants to kill you: humans, androids and aliens. It is hard to survive if you have that many enemies, isn't it? Let me give you a revolver! But wait, it's not like that magic shooting-through-props revolver that your human enemies use! Oh, it's useless vs androids and aliens? No problem, let me give you some throwable blueprints: smoke bomb, flashbang, noisemakerYou are Ripley. Everyone wants to kill you: humans, androids and aliens. It is hard to survive if you have that many enemies, isn't it? Let me give you a revolver! But wait, it's not like that magic shooting-through-props revolver that your human enemies use! Oh, it's useless vs androids and aliens? No problem, let me give you some throwable blueprints: smoke bomb, flashbang, noisemaker etc! Oh, they are useless vs androids and aliens aswell? So there are already like 5 weapons/tools in the game and they are all useless? Yes. Uninstalled. Expand
  17. Oct 8, 2014
    I don't think this is a very good game. Sure it can be creepy, the music is fine and the graphic it is amazing. But this feels way to much like a interactive scary movie, than an scary game
  18. Oct 8, 2014
    Not scary at all. The AI is scripted all you have to do is watch them for a little bit and they do the same path. Example, when going to take the communications elevator you run in to 4 human bad guys and they look for you for a few minutes then they go to their scripted paths. When drawing one guy out by rewiring the speakers and then went and hid in a locker and the guy came lookedNot scary at all. The AI is scripted all you have to do is watch them for a little bit and they do the same path. Example, when going to take the communications elevator you run in to 4 human bad guys and they look for you for a few minutes then they go to their scripted paths. When drawing one guy out by rewiring the speakers and then went and hid in a locker and the guy came looked for 15 seconds and then said there was no one here and walked off so I sneaked up behind him and killed him did the same thing on the other side and I died so I did it again and they came out the same way the same path and so I was able to kill them all without even thinking that hard. Graphics are good light is not as good as they say. I thought is was boring as heck they should of made it more like the first Dead Space that game was scary but Aliens Isolation is a pass spend your money on a better game save it for the games coming out later this year and early next year. Expand
  19. Oct 17, 2014
    So the game has great visual elements, gameplay mechanics flow nice and smooth, and yet I"m finding it cumbersome and lack luster to continue playing. The quests seem repetitive and I'm tired of pulling levers and pushing buttons at this point. Sneaking was fun for a while but by the end I've gotten impatient and just don't care anymore. The only thing making me want to sneak isn't forSo the game has great visual elements, gameplay mechanics flow nice and smooth, and yet I"m finding it cumbersome and lack luster to continue playing. The quests seem repetitive and I'm tired of pulling levers and pushing buttons at this point. Sneaking was fun for a while but by the end I've gotten impatient and just don't care anymore. The only thing making me want to sneak isn't for fear of getting caught but just to finish the game in a timely manner. I'm nearly done and at this point I'm just beating it to see the end.

Its good that things works, controls feel nice and haven't really given me trouble. But the story and puzzles make me feel like I'm child, doesn't feel catered toward an older audience despite the graphics and gore. Puzzles are simple timed reflex, match numbers/symbols or align and time. Instead of feeling rewarded for completing them I just feel insulted. They could have had more urgent circumstances to make you feel pressured while doing them but I'm playing on hard and its all too easy. I can't image how much of a walk in park anything below hard must be. Also I see tons of intractable debris like soda cans, gas tanks that fall over and make noise but none of those objects seem to attract or alert enemies. The only thing I think will alert sometimes is the broken glass but I'm still not sure.

Crafting seems a bit odd. Like why do I have to select the individual components? Why can't I just click the make button? Do they want it to be a bit time consuming, is it suppose to make the game harder for me? It doesn't do any of those things so why not just let me click craft. Its annoying having to select each part for no apparent reason. They could have at least made crafting items be alertable so that I'd have to think twice when doing it, maybe add an animation to show me making it. But since it doesn't do any of those things they should have just let be a single button click to make an item.

Ever heard a weird swishing noise when moving around? We'll I'm still not sure what it is but my guess is its the flamethrower. Sometimes it will make it and sometimes it won't. I thought it was dependent on the amount of fluid(ammo) you had for it but that remains inconclusive since even with half a tank it may or may not make the swishing noise. I also thought that that noise would be alterable but it isn't... They could have had it so that when I have it equipped it makes the noise and I'm more easily detected but when I don't it doesn't however it just another useless element.

Then there is the story/plot. Its an alien game so I know its been milked pretty hard by this point and it goes back to the classic moments but despite this the plot is terrible IMO. There are so many repetitive and reused elements its like they didn't put any thought into it. Like Power out there, turn it on, establish coms, didn't work, go turn on power over there instead. Or lets turn AI off, crap no good save me by turning off some power now but this time with a twist, do it in a particular order! lord...

Then there were the space walk simulation parts of the game that just felt like a huge waste of time. I wanted to run to make it go by quicker but I had to sit there holding down the w key waiting for her ass to walk to the objective which guess what.. involved turning on more power and matching more numbers...
  20. Oct 29, 2014
    I didnt look at reviews on this game as it tends to spoil the experiance but regreat not looking graphics good combat good stealth good ONE MASSIVE FAULT - NO AUTO SAVE- yup thats correct you spend 3 hours playing non stop at the start of the game DIE INSTANT FROM ANY ALIEN which you cant outrun etc you lose the WHOLE 3 HOURS worth of work it basicly has the same saving system as PS2 whichI didnt look at reviews on this game as it tends to spoil the experiance but regreat not looking graphics good combat good stealth good ONE MASSIVE FAULT - NO AUTO SAVE- yup thats correct you spend 3 hours playing non stop at the start of the game DIE INSTANT FROM ANY ALIEN which you cant outrun etc you lose the WHOLE 3 HOURS worth of work it basicly has the same saving system as PS2 which is stupid in morden times i except modern saving so my review is based on the 3 hours i played then lost instantly Expand
  21. Oct 20, 2014
    Most boring game of 2014? Quite possibly. After 45 minutes of gameplay, all you do is walk and build medkits. Graphics are so-so, gameplay is extremely slow and it's very difficult to get into the gameplay.

Wouldn't give as a gift.
  22. Sep 5, 2015
    Very slow gameplay,
    console controls,
    console single-slot save system,
    little no none decision-making for the player.

Totally overhyped by the universe lovers and so. Totally not worth the 20-30$.
  23. Jan 30, 2015
    Bad story, very medium graphics, repetitive and boring to die after 1 hour of play. This game is absolutely not scary at all !!! Don't waste your money for a to boring game !!!
  24. Oct 10, 2014
    As much as I would like to tell you that we finally have a game worthy of the franchise that is Alien, I cannot. A broken port with no Anti-Aliasing, terrible controls, horribly broken video, insane AI and endless cut scenes is simply not worth your time.
    Graphically, the game would be sub-par were it 5 years old, and the horrifying performance is just icing on that particular cake.
    Bloated, tedious and broken: these are the signs of another "AAA" game that has clue where it is going and even less what it was trying to accomplish.
    AVOID.
  25. Oct 7, 2014
    t's the horror game alien fans always wanted when the alien actually shows up, but unfortunately some bad ideas guy at creative assembly decided to fill the game with loads of really bad stealth encounters with random people with guns. And it sooo broken right now.
  26. Oct 7, 2014
    Wow thuis must the the most boring and lineair game i played in a while. The AI sucks and is fully scripted. Could have been such a good game with this graphics. And loading screens... Come on this is 2014!
  27. Oct 7, 2014
    If this is horror,than I queen Elizabeth.Serious,that's not scary at all!It's like Outlast but much less attractive,plus this gameplay fast bored.The only why you can play in it,it's graphics and Alien.
    The sponsor of this review Google Translate.
    Спонсор этой рецензии Гугл Переводчик.
  28. Dec 14, 2015
    keyboard key bindings dont work. what a waste of money again. another game you cant bind your keys and need to buy a controller. but i dont like to play with controller. if i want to play with conrtoller i play ps4
  29. Oct 16, 2014
    Well. it looked like a good game when I downloaded it. But apparently the entire system is crap. because as soon as I start the game it freezes everything and I have to hard shutdown my computer just to get it working again. GREAT JOB GUYS. maybe if I can ever get the game working I'll come back and change my opinion of it.
  30. Jan 27, 2015
    Story was fine the Cut scenes are fine, it's a boring game when you figure out the alien it becomes waiting and balancing simulator. a
  31. Sep 26, 2018
    First off, I liked the visuals, the atmosphere and the music. Well, that doesn't come as a surprise since all of it is from the original movie. What is left though is a middling stealth game.

In my opinion a good stealth game needs to have room for improvisation and at least two different ways of clearing an area. But Alien Isolation feels too linear and half of the gadgets you tinker with are useless or very samey. Which means they don't specifically change the style of playing, it's a very one-road approach to gameplay, that's why it gets stale after a few hours. You can't pit enemies at each other, you always have the same two options: evade or confront. A lot of other stealth games had a better way of manipulating your environment, so this game feels very dated in it's limited abilities.

I like that they take time to show the Alien for the first time. But once they do, boy do they use it in the same way over and over. It always has that same upstanding walk which looks sometimes too human and less frightening, there should be more variety or maybe slow wall-crawling. Even the mediocre AVP games had more creativity in that regard. They never do something with the camouflage ability of the Alien, instead they rely on jump-scare tactics and the alien doing it's round like usual. It also mises a vague estimation of how good you're hidden from the Alien, sometimes hiding under a table is good enough, other times it's not.

Another boring aspect is the amount of locked doors and ways to unlock them. Again, it's there to make you feel like this is gameplay, but it's not. It's just tedious obstacles to stretch the game for a few more minutes. I bought the game on Sale, and I don't say I regret paying 9 bucks, since it still looks gorgeous. But I haven't played the DLC's, although I own all of them, but it's the gameplay that kind of makes me say, "okay I do not really need to play this".
  32. Jan 5, 2016
    I hate the fact that it is first person. It would have made a better game as a 3rd person. It would have been more like Dead Space, which was a fantastic game.
  33. Oct 27, 2014
    Annoying. Slow. Keeps crashing. Dumb Alien. Rather watch others play it on Youtube. Nice to look at and the sounds are amazing but my god its painful to play.
  34. Nov 1, 2015
    By far one of the best walking simulators out there. Pretty graphics and cutscenes are there to make you forget about the mundane tasks at hand. Crafting items to survive is a neat game mechanic, however when you're in need of health you can't craft in a gunfight or tense situation as the game continues while the crafting screen is up. After playing the game for several hours without evenBy far one of the best walking simulators out there. Pretty graphics and cutscenes are there to make you forget about the mundane tasks at hand. Crafting items to survive is a neat game mechanic, however when you're in need of health you can't craft in a gunfight or tense situation as the game continues while the crafting screen is up. After playing the game for several hours without even seeing the alien and getting lost since EVERYTHING looks the same, I turned the game off, ejected it, and will probably never play it again. The terrible Alien game on the NES had more enjoyment. Expand
  35. Aug 4, 2017
    I really disliked this game! The story was sooo dragged out and boring, the only positive of this game is the environment and music, so i will give this a 3/10 for it
  36. Feb 7, 2019
    I gave this game a 4 because I couldn't force myself through it. Don't get me wrong, I can see it's a good game BUT with my tastes I just can't empathize. I've played through all the team silent silent hill games. I've played the RE2 remake, RE7 on madhouse, haunting grounds and the metro series among many other horror games. Never in my life have I ever felt like a game takes offense toI gave this game a 4 because I couldn't force myself through it. Don't get me wrong, I can see it's a good game BUT with my tastes I just can't empathize. I've played through all the team silent silent hill games. I've played the RE2 remake, RE7 on madhouse, haunting grounds and the metro series among many other horror games. Never in my life have I ever felt like a game takes offense to my decisions. I'm ok with an indestructible foe trotting around. But when it feels like the game really hates me, it's the point I just take the hint and leave.

So ammo is scarce, so far so good. We have enemies we can stealth around or we can murder with our handgun and we can even outrun by walking. I can even understand landing hits being a difficult job. But why, in the name of H.R. Giger's uncle who is the source of the xenomorph design, does the enemy literally warp me next to it so it can grab my hand when I try to swing? That was, honestly, the point I decided to give up. It's plain stupid, honestly.

Besides that, I could understand a crafting system being implemented for the sake of choice and variety, since the alien "learns" your tricks and starts to ignore them (leaving aside the fact that a revelation later on invalidates the whole "AI learning" thing). But then the system is completely randomized, giving you components with no rhyme or reason. You could be having a terrible time, but it won't give you stuff to craft noisemakers or health packs but then you could be doing just peachy and it gives you enough ammo to take on a whole DOOM level. Honestly just designing the areas' drops and making them fixed would make the whole game a lot more palatable, since it would give you a hint on what to get ready for.

At the end of the day, the game is still gorgeous, atmospheric and really challenging. But if you, like me, don't enjoy token combat in your games and want them either committed to letting you blast most of the baddies (with varying degrees of difficulty) or just take your weapons away (or make it clear you're not supposed to fight the enemies whatsoever, like making them all literally invincible but then why give you the guns, eh?) then you might not enjoy this one as much.
  37. Oct 12, 2019
    Это не игра, это какое-то недоразумение. Все началось с того, что игра намертво сломалась в самом начале, когда я решил не одевать героиню, а пошел в трусах говорить с мужиком сразу. Мне потребовалось очень много времени, тыкаясь по этому еб*у кораблю, чтобы понять, что не я делаю что-то не так, а просто нет продолжения из-за бага. Окей, обычсно я не даю играм второй шанс, но это же играЭто не игра, это какое-то недоразумение. Все началось с того, что игра намертво сломалась в самом начале, когда я решил не одевать героиню, а пошел в трусах говорить с мужиком сразу. Мне потребовалось очень много времени, тыкаясь по этому еб*у кораблю, чтобы понять, что не я делаю что-то не так, а просто нет продолжения из-за бага. Окей, обычсно я не даю играм второй шанс, но это же игра по культовой первой части Чужого! Дальше меня за*ли два мужика с девкой, которые супер-релистично глазастые и убивают с одного выстрела. Я просто не смог пройти, хотя являюсь супер-хардкарным игроком, который проходит игры всегда на предпоследних или последних сложностях. Это несерьезно. Больше сказать нечего. Лучше поиграйте в первый Dead Space - вот это истинная легенда. Expand

1. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2014
    This game makes you crawl like a goddamn worm, in constant fear of being squashed. I was scared to leave the closet I was hiding in, because the monster was somewhere out there. [Dec 2014, p.68]
  2. Nov 25, 2014
    The Creative Assembly’s game, however, is cooked; left to boil so long it loses all flavor and texture. For 10 hours, Isolation is one of the best horror games ever made, until a second, poorly made game bursts out of its heart.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2014
    Alien Isolation can be frustratingly difficult at times, but nevertheless it’s easily the best game in the Alien franchise since the original Aliens vs Predator. The fact that the game mimics perfectly the 1970s look and sci fi stylings of Ridley Scott’s Alien film makes the experience even more endearing. By featuring absurd number of “surprise” twists, Alien Isolation’s final act could’ve used some trimming. [Nov 2014]