- Summary: Alpha Protocol is an espionage role-playing game set in the modern world. Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending internationalAlpha Protocol is an espionage role-playing game set in the modern world. Loyalty carries a price and no one knows this more than agent Michael Thorton. A talented young agent cast out by his government, Thorton is the only one with the information needed to stop an impending international catastrophe. To do so means he must cut himself off from the very people he is sworn to protect. As players determine how to accomplish different objectives, the decisions made and actions taken in each mission will ultimately transform the type of secret agent Michael Thorton will become. Every choice the player makes as Michael Thorton will carry consequences for his future and the fate of the world. [Sega]… Expand
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
Alpha Protocol Launch Trailer
LEVEL (Czech Republic)Modern-spy simulation game with little compromise, surprises in every part – sophisticated RPG system, excellent story, catchy action segments and a precious conclusion. [Issue#192]
An astounding variety of ethical decisions, a wide range of believable, fun characters and a thrilling 24esque storyline make Alpha Protocol one of the most compelling role playing games of the last years. But be warned: The artificial intelligence is at times dumb as a rock, the save system seems rather antiquated, the graphics don’t hold up to the genre standard and the mini games are clearly not made for PC gamers. However, Alpha Protocol combines an enthralling storyline with a functioning role playing core and the highest grade of replayability in years! Well made, Obsidian!
Ignore the RPG part and you might trade in the game after two hours; ignore the third-person shooter part and you might replay the game three times over. In short, it needs a sequel to get everything right. Look beyond its obvious faults and Alpha Protocol isn’t frustratingly bad, but frustratingly good; that is, if you care to look that hard.
PC FormatWatch a Bourne movie instead. [Aug 2010, p.95]
The abysmal AI, the absolutely disastrous PC controls, boss battles that all but throw out the gameplay style that got you there in the first place, and the complete and total illogic of some of the gameplay systems (like the aforementioned “shields”) all serve to derail what should have been as memorable a game as I’ve played this year.
Jun 13, 2011I specifically signed up for metacritic to review this game. This game is highly underrated, and from someone who has played games for over 15I specifically signed up for metacritic to review this game. This game is highly underrated, and from someone who has played games for over 15 years now, i think it is an injustice to see this game score poorly. The level of engagement in this game, the storytelling, the detailed files and information intelligence gathering makes this game unique and truly satisfying. This is not a dumb persons game. Someone who is impatient(most of the younger generation) and dislikes reading will not enjoy this game. It can be a shooter, but it is a thinking mans spy game with real consequences to your actions. To play a game that TRULY changes outcomes based on your decisions is an enjoyment to play. Thats what makes it so much fun. Make your choice. stick with it. don't reload or re-save, and carve your own destiny in this excellent game. Steam has it for maybe 30 dollars right now. This game is for someone who enjoyed games like mass effect, the witcher, baldurs gate, splinter cell. etc. Splinter cell was done well, but was defenitely not as immersive as this game, and wasnt as satisfying. I felt a real connection to the characters in this game and knew my actions would depend on them living or not. Control wise, the game is passable and not dazzling. but with a story that really gets you immersed, it doesnt matter. texture resolution is high, and gives faces a level of realism that is good. Its not all about flair; its about style, an intelligent story and a deep plot. Its very sad to see games like this not get a sequel because of impatient, brain dead gamers. Cheers,… Expand
Jul 5, 2016One of the greatest RPG's in history. The only reason's the critics hated it was because of the complexity of the role-playing and theirOne of the greatest RPG's in history. The only reason's the critics hated it was because of the complexity of the role-playing and their inability to appreciate a skillfully done RPG. Can't recommend this game enough and you will thank me.… Expand
Aug 2, 2011I haven't encountered many bugs at all. Mechanics have some problems, probably due to the "consolization" process. There are problems with theI haven't encountered many bugs at all. Mechanics have some problems, probably due to the "consolization" process. There are problems with the AI too, but they don't ruin the game experience at all. The most important feature is the dialogue screens with a timer, that will grant you a really immersive experience. There are several choices in the dialogues (from 2 to 4) and they will modify the npc's reactions. Furthermore, the actions during the missions will affect the plot development, with the possibility of many endings.
This is a very good RPG, and i recommend it to all the RPG lovers and also espionage stories fans.… Expand
Nov 6, 2018This game is perfectly scored with a 7.5.
This is a splinter cell kind of a game with a hero like Michael Westen "burn notice" tv showThis game is perfectly scored with a 7.5.
This is a splinter cell kind of a game with a hero like Michael Westen "burn notice" tv show (burned out cia agent guy).
This game could have been a complete failure IF Obsidian entertainment wasn't involved (they made KOTOR 2, Pillar of destiny, NWN 2, Fallout NVegas).
Technically the game is full of glitches and gameplay wise lacks polishing and really dont look like an AAA title. BUT the story, dialogues, skills and RPG elements (as you can find them in deus ex or system shock) are very good. You really feel involved in the game, your choice DO matters like I have never ever saw in action game.
In the beginning you may feel like me and want to push the uninstall button with the lack of polishing and poor gun design but in the long run you'll really be happy you spent your precious playing time with this title.… Expand
Mar 20, 2014Alpha Protocol is a Deus Ex/Splinter Cell (sprinkled with a bit of Mass effect) wannabe that actually succeed at creating an immersive “JamesAlpha Protocol is a Deus Ex/Splinter Cell (sprinkled with a bit of Mass effect) wannabe that actually succeed at creating an immersive “James Bond” RPG fantasy, despite its many technical problems. Pros: 1) Good storytelling and characters; 2) Deep RPG elements; 3) Excellent facial animations; 4) Tough decisions to make, with interesting consequences; 5) Innovative dialog system;
6) Gameplay that emphasizes player choice
1) Bad console port – Recommend using a controller for the best experience;
2) Checkpoint system (I hate that!);
3) No antialiasing – Warning: don’t force it through the graphic drivers, or you will break the game). You can have MSAA however if you download this file (http://mrhaandi.blogspot.pt/p/injectsmaa.html) and extract/add it to /AlphaProtocol/ Binaries/ folder;
4) Lots of bugs and glitches, for example in some missions if you reload a checkpoint, the NPC’s won’t respawn. Surprisingly the game never crashed on me;
5) Glitchy controls and camera (sometimes the camera locks, and you won’t be able to move, other times it will do a one eighty for no reason.) – Warning: Don’t assign the interact function to any other key than space, or you will break the hacking mini-game.
6) The f****** hacking mini-game – Warning: don’t play this game on hard as a recruit, and put some action points on the technical skill branch before you start the game;
7) Terrible cover system – Warning: avoid throwing grenades from cover, because they tend to explode in your face)
8) Zero Modding community.
Ultimately, despite its many technical faults, Alpha Protocol is still very fun to play, and that is what really matters in the ends. If you can look pass the obvious technical problems, you will see that it is a very deep and immersive RPG experience that unfortunately lacks a lot of polish. Nevertheless, this does not excuse Obsidian and Sega for releasing an unfinished product, nor their unwillingness to fix it after release.
Conclusion: If you like RPG games like Mass effect and Deus Ex, I recommend giving this (very underrated) game a go, but don’t expect a smooth ride in the gameplay department.… Expand
MatSJun 7, 2010Very nice graphics, but that doesn't do enough to push the game any higher in rating. There was much hype about this game, but alas I Very nice graphics, but that doesn't do enough to push the game any higher in rating. There was much hype about this game, but alas I feel it was all a bit of an over statement. The controls feel too clunky when playing with a keyboard and mouse, which makes me think that this was more designed for the console rather then the PC. This game has a great concept and they have certainly tried to deliver something memorable, but I just don't think they got there. Nothing in this game draws me back wanting to play more. There really isn't any longevity in this game and will be quickly swept aside for something better.… Expand
Oct 20, 2019В принципе, неплохая задумка сделать сплинтер целл с элементами РПГ, колесом диалогов и взаимоотношениями, но благодаря криворукостиВ принципе, неплохая задумка сделать сплинтер целл с элементами РПГ, колесом диалогов и взаимоотношениями, но благодаря криворукости разработчиков получилось забагованное, кривое говно.… Expand