7.8

1. Mar 30, 2018
    Ash of Gods is a turn-based strategy game with roleplay elements which storytelling is made in a visual novel style.

The story itself is really good, the premise starts off well and you really want to know how things turn out. You take role of 3 protagonists which have a set personality but are narrated by referring to yourself. Interestening concept which really helps attaching

You take role of 3 protagonists which have a set personality but are narrated by referring to yourself. Interestening concept which really helps attaching yourself to the protagonists. Each story is very intriguing and keeps you going the whole time. Even main characters can die and the story will be continued to be told so you have to be careful to not kill your favorite characters. You constantly switch between the story of each character which gives you all the time a change of pace.

The decisions in the game you make most of the time have some sort of influence or atleast never give you some sort of pseudo influence which makes the end result the same. The personality is sort of set for the protagonists but your decisions can even make your character kill innocents because of the situation you seemed fit to do. I really loved this because it gives narrative and story wise a better story to tell but gameplay wise you also have a word to say. The dialogue on the other hand can be a bit tedious. While at times the writing can be very good, sometimes it can a bit tediously long when characters banter about things which doesnt really keep the story on. Like when characters keep on repeating things that happened in the past without putting any interestening input, this happens only on one storyline tough so its not really a huge complaint.

The combat is a turn based strategy style with roleplaying element. You have character classes and skills which level up while you travel the world of terminum with quests in mind that drives the protaginists to a destination. While there is combat there is also some sort of resource management where you have to be careful to not run out of strixes which is some sort of metal that protects people against the curse but also slowly melts away.

The combat system is makes fun and feels balanced most of the time. The combat uses energy as a resource for some abillities , movement beyond the characters movement limit and as some sort of shield. If energy is depleted you get extra damage and deal extra damage on enemies who has no energy. Most abillities tough use health as a resource. Which make energy not so viable but still careful to look on it.

Next is the card system where you can use up to 5 magic cards during a turn. Instead of using a character you can use one of these cards. In my opinion it is a little bit poorly implemented because most of the time it doesnt serve as a useful porpuse especially in early game because the cards are limited and mostly crap except the healing , shield and sometimes the damage card. Later on you can get better cards, stronger cards tough can only be used after a couple of turns. Overall its fairly decently balanced tough because you can ignore the cards part early on mostly and only later it gets really useful if the battles get harder.

The soundtrack is just plain perfect. The soundtrack has either this celctic or mongolian feeling to it and fits often to the situation by either giving your epic combat music or tenebrous mongolian throatsinging.

In the end i can totally recommend this to everyone who likes rpgs,visual novels,turn based strategy games or all of them. The game itself offers a huge amount of features and strategic gameplay elemts which are mostly well implemented into the game and the story combined with the awesome artstyle and soundtrack offers a fantastic experience that is only having some combat balancing issues and sometimes excessively long dialogue.

7.5/10 Great game
  2. Apr 16, 2018
    the best character development ive seen in a game for a long time (Lo Pheng) but there are too many of them )

my biggest problem is with the games phylosophy. it promotes selfsacrifice. thats not a sane thing to do. selfsacrifice should be a rational choice done in a specific context, not promoted blindly. unfortunately my lo pheng is the victim of this error, as he gets killed off

unfortunately my lo pheng is the victim of this error, as he gets killed off just for not selfsacrificing for a random chick.

story is cool, although i would rather not have a fantasy setting. and the scripting IS FINALLY GOOD. so many games **** this up and provide random redundant hurdles. this one doesnt.

the combat is fine, altough u mostly end up playing with 1 character against everyone else
  3. Feb 18, 2019
    The game inspired by Banner Saga, and surpass it. Ash of Gods is longer, has deep lore, stunning narrative, catchy characters, more dynamic battles (a lot of classes, items. spells), awesome music and art. It is the Banner Saga how it should be :)
    p.s. sorry for my english
  4. Jul 19, 2020
    I played the game twice now, and it keeps growing on me. Admittedly, the first time the whole experience was marred with "The Banner Saga clone" controversy and release bugs, but two years later, without comparing it to TBS, the game actually shines.

Pros: - characters; - atmosphere; - the main story, while derivative, brings many interesting nuances to the table; - variability and

Pros:
    - characters;
    - atmosphere;
    - variability and replayability: there are a lot of literal path to chose, many decisions to make, and most of them have notable consequences, namely your characters dying left and right, altering the further development of the story;
    - battle mechanics - I actually like it much more than The Banner Saga's one; it's much more free-flowing and, with some characters having completely different sets of abilities, quite a lot of fights rather resemble dynamic puzzles;

Both a pro and a con:
    - visual presentation: yes, it's very much reminiscent of TBS, and, in some places, it's not quite up to par; however, it has enough unique elements to be its own game and not just a blatant ripoff;

Cons:
    - at times stale and hamfisted writing and dialogues;
    - pacing issues, especially in the third act;
    - some classes seem to be drastically less useful than others, so quite a lot of characters end up never used;
    - some choices are either not foreshadowed enough or just have very strange internal logic to them, especially on Lo Pheng's route (which requires a manual not to screw up everything and everyone and actually get at least the slightest chance at a decent ending); and yes, while the unpredictability makes it more fun in some parts, in others it causes serious frustration because what you think characters will say based on a prompt and what they actually say or do may just be drastically different.

Overall, this game is quite an enjoyable story-driven experience with dynamic battles, a thick atmosphere, and some seriously amazing character development.

7.5-8/10
  5. Apr 2, 2018
    + Story
    Dark and violent setting, with an impressive development.
    + Music Perfectly fits the background, setting and ambient of Terminum, the world of Ash of Gods. + C&C Best choices and conséquences in a video game in my opinion, with possible deaths of main characters and a story that continues. + Combat system More depth than in Banner Saga and other games of the genre. +
    + Story
    Dark and violent setting, with an impressive development.
    + Music
    + C&C
    + Combat system
    More depth than in Banner Saga and other games of the genre.
    + Characters
    A lot of believable characters. The three main characters are particularly interesting.
    + Durability
    The game is tough, long and there are a lot of content. You can expect to handle the solo part in about 30 hours, and after that, you can go in multiplayer.

- Translation
    Some sentences are strangely translated in English, and it can be hard to understand some parts because of the poor understanding of the translator.
  6. Apr 21, 2018
    Ash of Gods I thought would be just another turn-based game with some old cartoon graphics to twist you into feeling nostalgic so you give it a good review. I was surprised when it didn't do that yet I favoured this game above a lot of others. While the old style graphics are gorgeous you had a very fitting soundtrack to go alongside it. It has a great story to go along with it yet simpleAsh of Gods I thought would be just another turn-based game with some old cartoon graphics to twist you into feeling nostalgic so you give it a good review. I was surprised when it didn't do that yet I favoured this game above a lot of others. While the old style graphics are gorgeous you had a very fitting soundtrack to go alongside it. It has a great story to go along with it yet simple mechanics that aren't over the top. Overall great game. Expand
  7. Jul 31, 2018
    The game that could have been the best I played all year... but it wasn't.
    The game that could have been the best I played all year... but it wasn't.
    Story: The story is captivating and interesting. It takes a lot of known genres, but combines it with finesse and creativity. It feels in a way like Telltale's The Waling Dead. Wandering with a group of low morale randoms through a world, waiting for the end, getting a lot of options along the way. Some of these choices have obvious consequences, some not so much. Some consequennces don't even spring form a choice, but rather from items or the path you take on the road. It was refreshing to see a game utilize a choice-consequence system so well. It isn't as generic that you get to choose what happens all the time, yet it isn't random either. It was brilliantly done. The story itself holds to a baseline of saving the world from a plague, or rather, saving the humans from it. Although that sounds a little bit ''overused'' as a plot, it throws enough curveballs to make it interesting and the lore adds to the authenticity.
    Setting: The scenario appears to be interesting and well thought out, however, i say again, appears to be. The real issue with the game is how it has been written. There are no cinematics to speak of and it isn't spoken, so all your information comes from reading. And it pains me to say, whoever wrote it, ruined the game. The setting is confusing and the game throws random lore at you in short, incomprehensible sentences that you're just supposed to get without ever hearing from it again. Even the story is damaged by the poor writing work, as half the people don't even understand the ending of the game, where lots of things happen in a short period of time. Everything kind of happens without context, and in hindsight you get one little answer that doens't really answer anything, that's the best i can describe the writing. I suppose this is done to emerge you into the character, that doens't know what is going himself, but when you see the credits rolling and you don't know what has happened, I think the game missed the mark.
    Characters: The main characters are all decent. They don't show any real progression or change, but that is normal for an RPG game. After all, if you control the character, he can't just get up and decide he wants to be someone else. The side characters are promising, but they seem unfinished. Quite a few of them seem to have a personality and a story, but you don't ever hear it. I sided with some, angered others, but in the end, they are insignificant to everything. Thorn Brenin has a group of soldiers who are lost and crave a leader, Hopper has a royal escort and Lo Pheng is being followed by a bunch of freed slaves who need someone to protect them. They were on the right track, but it lead nowhere, which is a shame.
    Gameplay: There isn't much to say about it. It looks and feels like The Banner Saga, but worse. It's boring, but not bad. It all works and makes sense, but it won't let you hold your breath for the next fight, rather the opposite. There are few different opponents, there are few abilities and there are no statistics to speak of. There is a health bar and the abilities either heal or do damage to this health bar. Some crowd control wouldn't be misplaced. It does have a magic card system, which is cool enough, but it doesn't make it interesting or fun. That being said, it does work very fluently and as you expect it to work.
    The lats little bit of critique. It has a few choices which are frustrating and annoying. A bane to many players, among them myself. It is possible to kill your main character without any warning in advance whatsoever. So you reload, right? Yup, and then you can go ahead and replay the past four hours. Four hours! I guess it is a stylistic choice, so you won't know what is going to happen in the future and it catches you off-guard with a plot twist, but it is my duty to warn you, as not everyone will be amused. However, I have to give credit to the choice-consequence system again for solving all these roads to a finishing line. Even if one of your main character dies, the sotry picks up on that in a way that makes it feel like it was supposed to happen, allowing you to play further even though you made a wrong choice somewhere along the line. The many paths that lead to many outcomes is an absolute masterpiece, the ground work for an amazing game. The setting is rich and interesting, but it just fails in delivering its epicness to the gamer. If it were a book, it would have been good, but in a game, it is just confusing.
    All things considered, I can recommend this game to anyone willing to play a, relatively, innovative plot. Just don't expect to much from the gameplay and be prepared for the uncomprehensible and the unexpected.
  8. Dec 28, 2018
    Ash of Gods (AoG) is very similar to Banner Saga. Still, it is a great game and I enjoyed it very much. From an objective view, rating the game below 60 % (as some have done) is not justifiable even if you dislike visual novels and games like Banner Saga.

In particular I think that the review score of 5 % by the German 4Players website ("Critic Review") is complete bollocks. They have even blocked the possibility to comment on their hideously distorted review on their website, which speaks volumes. They are now even considering calling it the "worst game of 2018" for "political reasons", i.e. because it is a (Banner Saga) clone. Ludicrous if one takes into account that game clones have been part of the gaming industries for a very long time.

My advice is: If you liked a game such as Banner Saga, you will also like Ash of Gods. AoG is however much harder to play from my experience. Try "Story-Mode" (easiest difficulty) for the first playthrough.
  9. Mar 31, 2018
    Pros:
    + Story
    Extremely reactive story, things can go very differently depending on your choices. + Combat Satisfying combat, although not the deepest, various party compositions, trinkets and perk choices offer you different options to tackle fights. + Graphics Gorgeous art, inspired by and living up to The Banner Saga. + Sound Amazing music, featuring Slavic and Asian folk
    Pros:
    + Story
    + Combat
    + Graphics
    Gorgeous art, inspired by and living up to The Banner Saga.
    + Sound
    Amazing music, featuring Slavic and Asian folk influences, really adds to the atmosphere. The music is also used well, playing at the correct moment.
    + Writing
    Interesting characters that receive decent development. Interesting lore that makes you want to learn more.
    + Replay Value
    Lengthy campaign with tons and tons of replay value.

Cons:
    - Writing
    About 10% of written content featured errors or was badly translated, the rest ranged from average to fairly good. A lot of the lore is not really introduced to the player, you have to work to piece things together and figure stuff out. That's not entirely a bad thing, it's more natural for character dialogue, but it can leave players a bit lost.

Verdict:
    A lovely RPG that more than deserves a playthrough for any fan of the genre.
  10. Mar 29, 2018
    Really good game, great story, impossible to stop following it. Gorgeous presentation. The game for me works much better as a visual novel rather than a turn-based RPG. I will go back to combat after I finish the first play through.

Initially I thought it was a Banner Saga clone and missed this game Kickstarter. But then | got to play it during a video game conference and fell in love with it. I know the art looks a bit like Banner Saga and combat also seems similar, yet the game has a lot of innovations to stand on its own.

And wonderful story. Oh, did I say it again? Well, it's worth repeating!
  11. Mar 29, 2018
    How incompetent became the game journalism and their critics. The game is apparently great, who are all talking about the copying BS or not played in the Ash of gods, or have not played BS.
  12. Mar 29, 2018
    Отличная игра, с некоторыми минусами. Чувствуется, что на все не хватило опыта и бюджета. В целом хорошо, но 9 баллов это с авансом ставлю, конечно.
  13. Mar 24, 2018
    Overall a good game, recommended to everyone. Even if you're no fan to turn-based strategies, you can try it just for the beautiful art and story. Especially for the ones, who doesn't like tough fights, there's an option in the beginning of the game, where you can choose, whether to play only for the story or either for it and for TBS combat.

And one can't help comparing it with its

And one can't help comparing it with its inspirer - "Banner Saga", because it's too similar practically in everything - art, gameplay, combat, etc. If you haven't played either, you should definitely start with the better "Banner Saga" and if you like it, absolutely should continue with "Ash of Gods".

Nice story, music and overall gameplay, but in "Banner Saga" everything was slightly better, maybe except for the music. Though of course each can find his own pros and cons in both games. The story and characters are different of course. Storytelling is interesting and long enough, so you can definitely enjoy the game. The only thing they spoiled in "Ash of Gods" is combat, but it's also not bad. You won't just find anything new and interesting in fights here, because there are already several games with quite the same mechanics, abilities, style, etc. F.e., "Battle Brothers" is a much suoperior TBS concerning combat, "Banner Saga" is better too, "The Great Whale Road" is worse, but similar.
  14. Mar 29, 2018
    So what if its a banner saga clone, every genre starts with a copy cat, these guys were just unlucky to be the first. I love banner saga, cant wait for the final one and I love this game because its so similar. Correct me if I am wrong but Stoic knew about this game for a long time and cheered these guys on. Ash of Gods is about as similar to Banner saga as Dota is similar to LoL, or DoomSo what if its a banner saga clone, every genre starts with a copy cat, these guys were just unlucky to be the first. I love banner saga, cant wait for the final one and I love this game because its so similar. Correct me if I am wrong but Stoic knew about this game for a long time and cheered these guys on. Ash of Gods is about as similar to Banner saga as Dota is similar to LoL, or Doom to Halo, they now form one genre, whatever you want to call it. The game has its own original world, story and characters, the combat feels very familiar but there are differences significant enough to make it fresh. All three sides of the story are interesting enough, though I have to say Thorn was by FAR the weakest of the trio as a character (and as a fighter obviously:). But his group of companions make up for it for sure. Lo Pheng I think doesnt need any commentary, that guy could carry the game alone and Hopper is a similar case. Props to the devs for these two characters especially, their design is slick as hell. The soundtrack is top notch, could hear Skorupa´s touch right away. Half the charm of the first witcher was the soundtrack and he did a great job here as well. The art just like Banner saga is gorgeous, the static conversations are fun to look at no matter how many times you have to do it. The dialogues however often feel kinda off tbh, I am not a native english speaker, but even to my ears it did sound awkward from time to time. The plot itself wont dazzle you with its originality but it does keep your interested, the lore is intriguing and the world of Terminus is overall a very solid medieval fantasy. If you´re a fan, you gonna like it for sure. The combat, which is the meat of the game after all is fun like I said, its very much banner saga, with energy replacing armor and with some different damage and block behaviour. The biggest difference in the combat are playable card. Basically spells you can add to your deck of 5 and play them instead of your normal turn with any character that is outside of range or doesnt have anything better to do. Personally I used them only when playing Lo Pheng, as I didnt include any of his companions in battles. Which leads me to the only major complaint I have with the game. The balance of difficulty. It takes a while before the game presents any real challenge and only if you choose the arguably evil and selfish way. And even if you do that and you stack some reaping levels. Its still walk through a park with two of the sides, which makes sense in terms of the story and their power but it doesnt make for much exciting gameplay imo. I think it wouldnt hurt to patch in some additional difficulty setting, nothing sadistic, but maybe banner saga hard difficulty level of challenge would be fun.
    Overall, 9/10 from me, AMAZING game, gonna follow these guys for sure and cant wait for anything they come up with, whether it is from the world of Terminus or not.
  15. Apr 5, 2018
    Интересный проект пал жертвой безграмотности (или неопытности) геймдизайнеров и сценаристов. Авторы, похоже, не слишком понимают особенностей игровых текстов, в связи с чем любой, даже хороший сценарий нельзя будет воспринимать иначе, как "писанину". Даже если вы ценитель текстовых диалогов в стиле олд-стайл ролевок от Торнмента до пилларсов, в этой игре писанина будет вас раздражать иИнтересный проект пал жертвой безграмотности (или неопытности) геймдизайнеров и сценаристов. Авторы, похоже, не слишком понимают особенностей игровых текстов, в связи с чем любой, даже хороший сценарий нельзя будет воспринимать иначе, как "писанину". Даже если вы ценитель текстовых диалогов в стиле олд-стайл ролевок от Торнмента до пилларсов, в этой игре писанина будет вас раздражать и никакого желания вникать в это не возникнет.

Еще один минус - странная, раздражающая боевка, забитая абузами под завязку. Возможно, авторы исправят все недочеты, но игра уже вышла и куплена. В Баннер Саге боевка не была сильной стороной и нужно было совсем сквозь пальцы её прорабатывать, чтобы вышло еще хуже.
    В сумме - хорошая, отличная работа дизайнеров, приемлемая - программистов, отвратительная - геймдизайнеров и сценаристов. У игры есть шансы, это явно не назвать поделием, коим кишит отечественный игропром, но до статуса хорошей, качественной РПГ этот продукт не дотягивает. Можно купить на распродаже, не столько из-за скидки, сколько из-за надежды, что разработчики к тому времени учтут свои просчеты и примут меры по исправлению.
  16. Feb 21, 2019
    I don't get the average reviews for this game. Banner Saga comparisons aside, there is obviously much forethought and effort involved. The hand drawn graphics should be considered an art-form, and the story is quite engaging. The characters are unique, and the direness of the world is palpable. The only minor complaint would be the inconsistency of the battle system. But this is a gameI don't get the average reviews for this game. Banner Saga comparisons aside, there is obviously much forethought and effort involved. The hand drawn graphics should be considered an art-form, and the story is quite engaging. The characters are unique, and the direness of the world is palpable. The only minor complaint would be the inconsistency of the battle system. But this is a game worth experiencing at least on a visual novel level, and the engaging storyline and characters more than make up for any design flaws. Expand
  17. Aug 2, 2018
    The art and animation are simply outstanding and well mixed in this tactical strategy game!
  18. Mar 21, 2020
    Infuriating game play. Not enough back story dropped in to world where your expected to know everything terms, phrases like you've played the game before.
    Art style is the best thing about this game.
    Banner saga is much better polished game than this could ever be.
  19. Mar 28, 2018
    This is a very bad plagiarism of "The Banner Saga". No, it´s not inspired, it´s just stolen and also very bad. I can´t beleive it that AurumDust can be this brash.
  20. Jan 5, 2020
    Отличная история, захватывает как хорошая книга и не отпускает до конца. Очень доволен. В отличии от последней Баннер Саги не надоела во второй половине
  21. Jun 30, 2020
    Многого ждал от этой игры и остался разочарован.
    Один из главных минусов - боевка. Унылая и кривая. Но я не большой любитель пошаговых боев, так что это чисто субъективное мнение. Анимации во время сражений похуже чем в Баннер Саге.
    Многого ждал от этой игры и остался разочарован.
    Основные надежды, касаемо этой игры, я возлагал на сюжет, диалоги и персонажей, и тут игра с треском провалилась. О диалогах уже очень много сказано игроками, и я могу только подтвердить - они ужасно корявые и пресные. Персонажи в диалогах зачастую противоречат самим себе и своим биографиям, фразы исходящие из уст персонажей просто не соответствуют их образам, они не интересны, написаны будто бы каким-то подростком - графоманом. В тексте постоянно мелькают названия разных стран, городов, мест. фактов из местной истории, о которых в игре ровно 0 информации. В Баннер Саге проникнуться атмосферой игры помогала карта мира, на которой можно было кликнуть на дорогу, город, речку и т.д. и прочитать краткое описание, и эти описания в достаточной мере знакомили тебя с лором и историей мира. Здесь это тоже есть, но описаний меньше и они более скудные. В игре нет никакой энциклопедии, которая бы пояснила тебе про Фризу, Одалу, Гебон, Исану и прочее, в тебя просто кидаются этими названиями, узнать что то о мире ты можешь только из кривых диалогов, читать которые, у меня пропало желание уже на 3 часу игры, а для меня диалоги и повествование, атмосфера, лор - это главное в подобных играх.
    Главные персонажи еще более менее, но второстепенные - пусты, такое чувство, что они нужны просто для массы, чтобы было кого фидить в боях. Завязка сюжета простенькая, опять какая - то глобальная угроза, от которой нужно спасаться (хм. что то напоминает).

Из плюсов - хорошие арты и музыка.

В общем, играть в это можно только если вы ОЧЕНЬ большой фанат пошаговых боев.
  22. Jan 3, 2021
    Most of the people who gave negative reviews are from people who complain about similiarity with Banner Saga. The art style looks similar, but is it really bad? Game gives you decent story, really good characters, unique setting. I've enjoided playing AoG so much. There are cons, but they aren't really important for me (like small fonts or sequence of turns in the battle mode). If you likeMost of the people who gave negative reviews are from people who complain about similiarity with Banner Saga. The art style looks similar, but is it really bad? Game gives you decent story, really good characters, unique setting. I've enjoided playing AoG so much. There are cons, but they aren't really important for me (like small fonts or sequence of turns in the battle mode). If you like BS - 90% you will like AoG. Looking forward for the next game from these guys. Expand
  23. Jan 8, 2019
    увольте придумавшего чередование ходов увольте придумавшего чередование ходов
  24. Apr 17, 2019
    This game is a masterpiece.
    This game is a masterpiece.
    I don't regret any minute I had been playing it. The story, the world, the relations between the characters and countries - it's all very good. Yes, somebody may say: "Oh, we've seen it in another angle in Mass Effect. Oh, it's Banner Saga clone". No. This project drags you into semi Medieval time, dimension, time travel, intrigues of gods and demigods. And to be honest I didn't feel so into the game of this kind of setting since the Witcher.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 21 Critic Reviews

1. Aug 2, 2018
    Ash of Gods is a turn based strategy game where RPG and CCG elements are mixed together. Similar to Banner Saga but with critical flaws in the narrative and gameplay rhythm. The long texts of dialogues are dense and inspired, shaping a nice story, but kinda trivial. It’s adapt to whom are passionate of fantasy books, maybe.
  2. Jul 12, 2018
    If only Ash of Gods had not been crushed by excessive ambitions, perhaps we would be grappling with a worthy heir to The Banner Saga.
  3. Jul 2, 2018
    Ash of Gods: Redemption is a solid strategy games but it has some deficiencies. The game lacks of variety even if it has a solid combat system and few original features like the card system.