7.2

1. Feb 9, 2019
    I am disappointed. I've been following Astroneer since 2016? Yet the terrain looks still awful. The gameplay is, by survival standard, boring, imho. The videos and the GIFs look and feel better than the game. Yes, the voxel terrain, but come on, we know better looking voxel games. What troubles me recently though is the data security thing in their EULA. They are allowed to installI am disappointed. I've been following Astroneer since 2016? Yet the terrain looks still awful. The gameplay is, by survival standard, boring, imho. The videos and the GIFs look and feel better than the game. Yes, the voxel terrain, but come on, we know better looking voxel games. What troubles me recently though is the data security thing in their EULA. They are allowed to install whatever they want and to use my data for ads? If you agree to that you are stupid. I see that the devs are ex-Ubisoft employees, so they may think like EA/Ubisoft. But in 2019, why can't we just have a cool game without that whole Facebook-ish ad-overseer rubish? WTF? Expand
  2. Feb 6, 2019
    There is no gameplay here. There are things to do, but there's no driving force to actually do anything. There was no objective to complete, no boss to kill, and no resources I needed to replenish. The game gave me no direction and didn't tell me any clues on where I should be going or what I should be doing.

After starting a game, I built everything I could, found an object to put

After starting a game, I built everything I could, found an object to put into my research building thing, and then realized there was nothing left to do other than wait for the research to complete. Then what? I build something else, find another object to throw into my research building, and wait for another unlock? Why even bother leaving my base and risking suffocation and death?

I died 3 times in the tutorial. In the...tutorial.

I didn't have fun and didn't see the point in waiting for the fun to arrive. I gave the game 90 minutes of my time and it failed to capture my interest. Saying that the game gets better later on is not a mark in favor of the game.
  3. Feb 13, 2019
    So, first of all, for a release there are just too many bugs! My favorite one is when you walk and suddenly get thrown up into the air - for no apparent reason - a then die from falling damage. Really, Dev´s?

About the game itself I´m a bit torn. Let´s start with the pros: There´s quiet a lot of progression in the game. You start with some basic stuff and through a lot of research,

About the game itself I´m a bit torn. Let´s start with the pros:
    There´s quiet a lot of progression in the game. You start with some basic stuff and through a lot of research, you´ll be able to travel to other planets.
    The machines look nice and there are some good ideas, like the trading system, that will allow you to buy resources without having to travel somewhere, just because you are missing one certain resource.

The cons:
    While machines look nice, the terrain itself looks just awful...
    Almost no threats in the game - no animals - it just feels lonely. (Just some OP-plants.... yes, a mushroom can kill you)
    Vehicles handle terribly, get stuck a lot and are not that useful (except for maybe getting research items).
    The crafting system. It´s nice in the beginning, but later on you have a lot of different resources, that you can combine into other resources to craft more advanced stuff. The problem here is, that you´ll run around your base collecting each one of the required components in order to feed them to the printers. Why isn´t there a main storage where the printers take resources from? Why do I have to feed them every single one of them??? This got tedious and irritating rapidly...
    The game gets boring after a couple of hours, but especially the endgame, when you just run around and dig to get the "unlocks" for the ending.
    The bugs! So many...

Overall I must say, the idea of the game is good, but it just wasn´t so much fun to play. Even if the many bugs are fixed, the gameplay would still be mediocre at best.
  4. Mar 6, 2019
    Astroneer is a fine game completely marred with bugs. It also comes with nigh unplayable multiplayer. I want to make jokes and trash the developers for releasing a game in such a broken state, but I can't. They're a small team, and the development of the game was wrought with difficulties of a personal nature... However, I don't think those personal problems should get in the way of myAstroneer is a fine game completely marred with bugs. It also comes with nigh unplayable multiplayer. I want to make jokes and trash the developers for releasing a game in such a broken state, but I can't. They're a small team, and the development of the game was wrought with difficulties of a personal nature... However, I don't think those personal problems should get in the way of my rating of the game, so I'll simply state that it's busted beyond a playable state, and it's taking too long to get better. I can't recommend this game. Expand
  5. Feb 11, 2019
    I've created a Metacritic account today because either the devs or some die hard fans are upvoting Astroneer on Metacritic currently which, uh, feels odd imo. As for the game, it is okay. It is not ground breaking, nor good looking, it is rather... average? Currently Steam reviews are going down for good reasons I suppose. The terrain looks ugly most the time. Check out Steam reviews forI've created a Metacritic account today because either the devs or some die hard fans are upvoting Astroneer on Metacritic currently which, uh, feels odd imo. As for the game, it is okay. It is not ground breaking, nor good looking, it is rather... average? Currently Steam reviews are going down for good reasons I suppose. The terrain looks ugly most the time. Check out Steam reviews for more complaints, esp. by disappointed long time players and Early Access fans. I, personally, find Astroneer a bit too buggy, laggy, the terrain with either too many cracks (mesh holes, actually) or too ugly? How did they come up after so many years in EA with such awful textures and models? This is not okay for that price. And the long term gameplay... is just not fun. Wait for a decent discount. Astroneer is no way worth more than $4-5. But, of course, it could be so much more, but my guess is, as some journalists pointed out, that the actual devs did not have the experience in handling such a game on their own, as if they did not fully grasp what survival fans need and want. But I fully understand why other players enjoy it, for sure. Cheers Expand
  6. Feb 9, 2019
    wait until it is cheap. it's worth $5, not more. dull gameplay for a survival game. horrible terrain textures? like when you are in the game check the actual 3d models and textures. awful imo. they are good at creating twitter friendly gifs and stuff, but the overall game is, compared to survival games, cheap. what a shame after such a loooong early access of 2.5 years? so when they workedwait until it is cheap. it's worth $5, not more. dull gameplay for a survival game. horrible terrain textures? like when you are in the game check the actual 3d models and textures. awful imo. they are good at creating twitter friendly gifs and stuff, but the overall game is, compared to survival games, cheap. what a shame after such a loooong early access of 2.5 years? so when they worked 2 years before ea on it, is this the game we get after 4.5 years? not to mention the console ui. why did they not bother to give us a pc ui? for me at least astroneer is not worth mentioning. Expand
  7. Feb 9, 2019
    Waited over 2 years since purchase for full release, only to be majorly disappointed. Compelling and fun gameplay was never added, an artificial grind was introduced to slow down gameplay which makes it worse. Major bugs were introduced at launch, some that had been fixed previously mysteriously coming back. Developers refuse to fix an issue with European keyboards. Major graphical changesWaited over 2 years since purchase for full release, only to be majorly disappointed. Compelling and fun gameplay was never added, an artificial grind was introduced to slow down gameplay which makes it worse. Major bugs were introduced at launch, some that had been fixed previously mysteriously coming back. Developers refuse to fix an issue with European keyboards. Major graphical changes were made for the full release with no warning, many of them for the worse and not better. Astroneer community manager censoring valid complaints and feedback. Avoid this game and developer. Expand
  8. Feb 11, 2019
    This is a game about mining. Specifically this is a game where the devs mine your personal data and sell it to whoever they want, and you can't opt out. They say right in the EULA that they're going to collect your demographic information and sell it. Talk about selling out, what a disgrace.
  9. Feb 28, 2019
    Bug simulator, looks like an EA game, need years of work and the developers are hidden from the community
  10. Aug 1, 2019
    Nice fresh idea that gets boring very fast. Tutorial is counter-intuitive. You have to search internet just to understand what game wants you to do in the tutorial.
    Idea is great. Execution is not. A lot of improvement is needed.
    Imagine truly 3d Terraria/minecraft scifi clone full of bugs. You got the idea.

1. Jun 28, 2019
    A bit absurd and outlandish, but still enjoyable space expedition that thankfully runs out of gas after you get your share of co-op fun.
  2. Game World Navigator Magazine
    May 15, 2019
    Astroneer is a nice survival game that’s hopelessly behind the curve: we’ve already seen everything it has to offer in one game or another. [Issue#237, p.40]
  3. Apr 19, 2019
    Fans of sandbox or crafting games might be pleased with the package, and can bump this score up at least a point or two. For others, this has some serious flaws with its user interface, and simple constructing/crafting is often aggravatingly difficult, which unfortunately drags down what otherwise is an okay, if repetitive title. It is really sad, as at its root, this could be a gem, with some simple patches or design overhauls, and appeal to a far greater audience.