6.9

1. Oct 3, 2021
    I love this game
    I love this game
    AWAY the survival series is the first of what I hope many documentary styled adventure games.. first things first, don’t freak out about the word survival orthe fact you see a stamina or foo bar in the bottom left corner.. this is thankfully not another survival game, away the survival series is super casial, here you play as a youn sugar glider, your mom teaches you the ropes, you get separated and this turn into a journey of coming back together and I loved it.. at least the first half.. now where the word survival comes into play is that you are prey, and you are in nature, so youl will have to sneak past predators, you will have to occasionally and I mean ocassionally eat mushrooms to regain health and stamina.. its never annoying.. the focus here is on the story, a story that is documentary styled being narrated.. here you can jump, glide, and attack.. aim at a close enough ledge and automatically jump there, or glide towards more far away ledges.. there ar definitely some challengeing moments here but nothing too hard.. and ocassionally youl lhave an action sequence like a giant spider chasing you or youll be dealing with a snake blocking your way.. I loved the scop of this game.. however away starts to fall apart during its second half of this 4 hour journey.. for starters this is not the most polished games.. and the clunkyness gets worse the game goes on… the polish is semi there for the frist half but by the end, youll be asking yourself.. where did all the effort go.. cause now im just hopping across frustrating tree branch sections, and sneaking through grass… all the cool stuff is gone.. the platforming just gets so awkward and again frustrating, youll be fightin the camera and the broken map trying to get out of moments you get stuck.. but I still had to push through to see the ending out..I had to see where our little sugar glider bud ended up..
    I see so much potential in the series.. I just hope going forward there more effort in makin animal species more accurate as this is again supposed to be animal documentary styled.. and this is not what a bird eating spider looks like.. as just one example where the team goes eh close enough, we don’t have time to model in a new species.. you do though, this is the most important part of emersing me into an experience like this.. and obviously more polish..
    Im fine with the sequel being half this size if we don’t get a second half that falls apart again..
    Overall AWAY the survival series is underrated and worth checking out for story, animal,and platforming lovers..
    I give
    a 7/10

Mixed or average reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 18, 2022
    The Survival Series is a successful attempt to transfer the format of a science documentary to a video game platform. The science and documentary part is excellent, but the video game part would need some improvements.
  2. Nov 11, 2021
    I wish I had more positive points to speak about, but AWAY: The Survival Series just isn’t that fun to play, and being a video game this is one of the most important aspects for the developers to nail. The experience feels unnaturally empty and shallow, and whilst the good intentions are there, the execution makes it a hard title to recommend spending money on, at least in its current state which feels like an early access title, despite it being a proper release. If this title piques your interest, I would suggest waiting to see what the developers end up fixing and tweaking as they have promised to fix multiple issues and provide constant updates to offer a more polished title.
  3. Nov 3, 2021
    The beauty of Away: The Survival Series isn't the gameplay but the journey itself. While it has it's problems with bugs, the environment itself is lovely and the narration and musical score at least give the short expedition a quiet elegance.