7.0

1. Jan 14, 2019
    The story is surprisingly unpredictable, campivating and well done. However the writting does not do the story justice. The dialog is of very varying qulity, and too often painfully badly written. Though the often great voice acting, helps in making through thoose rough parts. Execept for the voice acting from two characters that was notably worse then the rest.
    This is a game created by
    This is a game created by a small team, and quite a small budget. And for that it's incrediable.
    This game feels unique and for the most part well made.
    The gameplay was a lot of fun, and I enjoyed pretty much all parts of the game.
    It is easy to pick up, and as the game progresses it has more depth then you might think at a first glance.

I could see a competitve community arise from this game, with local turnaments. As there is a suprisingly huge part of stategy to this game.
  2. Dec 5, 2017
    Innovative and great gameplay (e.g. during combat, the attacks of the enemies are designed in a way that one can anticipate them), lots of variety (the huge number of dishes they must've drawn is amazing), a long single player campaign but unfortunately suffers from some pretty severe flaws.
    For one thing, the writing gets really immature/cheesy later in the game. It's cringe-worthy and noticeable that this game was probably a student project. Written by a student whose mind is still stuck in high school. Plus, the amount of dialogue also seems unfitting for what's primarily a puzzle game.
    And the art style while quite beautiful overall (I especially enjoy everything involving the match 3 aspect) - there is something about slight inconsistencies in quality, lack of fluid animation (compare to e.g. Hollow Knight) and odd choices (e.g. one character at one point talk to a cat that... is part of the roughly drawn foreground. Which seems really weird) that makes it seem a tad off.
    Most of these criticisms may sound like personal preference but... you usually just don't find such things in games that feel professional and polished. Probably for good reason.
    It's an alright game to spend one's time with but one shouldn't set one's expectations too high. I hope that Trinket Studios will get a decent writer for their next game or at least keep the story to a minimum.
  3. Sep 20, 2018
    Super fun game! I really liked how adventurous this game was with its different genres/play styles (it's basically a puzzle game mixed with a cooking game mixed with an action game). The game play wasn't incredibly deep (especially the combat) but it stayed interesting enough during the course of the game that I didn't really care that much. Also, even though i loved the idea of having aSuper fun game! I really liked how adventurous this game was with its different genres/play styles (it's basically a puzzle game mixed with a cooking game mixed with an action game). The game play wasn't incredibly deep (especially the combat) but it stayed interesting enough during the course of the game that I didn't really care that much. Also, even though i loved the idea of having a story based around the blending of a bunch of well known fantasy characters/tropes, the actual story ending up being incredibly cheesy at times. The humor was great, but the parts of the story where they tried to impart a meaningful message to the player was pretty hard to sit through. Expand
  4. Apr 30, 2020
    This game obviously had a lot of love put into it, but it has a few major elements that I would have to call subpar. Keep in mind I have only played through the main story.
    While the game looks really nice and I love the backgrounds, I'm not the biggest fan of the style of the character designs, especially with the cyclops shopkeeper. The lack of shading is a big pet peeve of mine. I will say, I really liked the music though.
    The game feel is fantastic as Mina, even though it sometimes devolves into button mashing, but it takes a major noticeable hit in the smoothness department when playing as Thrash, mostly because of the lack of a dodge.
    The game comprises of a few minigames in some shops in the town square and the major tournament competitions. The most fun I had in the game were Belchior's and Pontida's minigames, because the racked your brain in a unique way and didn't overstay their welcome. The cook-offs were interesting at first, but they were so long and did basically the same thing that they got quite boring and repetitive over time. There was also a noticeable difficulty spike at the first cave mission.
    Probably my biggest problem with the game was the story and dialogue. The developers were obviously inspired by anime, and the dialogue and story showed this the most. It all seems extremely cheesy and juvenile, especially some of Thrash's and Mina's monologues. I think it takes itself a bit too seriously for a silly Kitchen Nightmares anime game. The voice acting was really nice, although there were a couple characters where I felt like the voices didn't fit the personalities and designs.
    Overall, this game was a slight disappointment, but I wouldn't say I didn't have fun with it. I just don't think I'll be picking it up again anytime soon.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 4 Critic Reviews

1. Dec 14, 2017
    A bit different from what you’d expect, Battle Chef Brigade is a pleasant surprise, and like good food it can be nice to try something different once in a while.
  2. Nov 28, 2017
    Battle Chef Brigade is beautiful, original and works better than you would expect from a game that mixes such different genres. One of the last surprises of the year.
  3. Nov 26, 2017
    Battle Chef Brigade’s gambit when it comes to its unorthodox blend of ingredients pays off well, resulting in truly stellar duels that reward combat skills, proper planning and strategy, with success not only delivering dishes to make one salivate, but also truly fun gameplay on all fronts. It’s one of the most unique games to pop up this year, making for an experience with a lot of charm and energy that is not to be missed.