7.1

1. Jul 22, 2020
    A lot of things said about that game and Inwould like to mention my own impression.
    I am really a fan of TRON movies, and I can say that TRON:Legacy changed my mind. Beyond a Steel Sky really look like TRON. That's why I changed my mind once more and decided to register here and tell you what I think
    I think the game is really good. That raises some questions about AI, happiness and human nature. I think you should give it a try if you like cyberpunk, dystopias and so on Right now the game gas some bugs and some translations are missing, also my vcard gets hery high T in Gram's house, especially in his room. All of this is not too bad, but I think nothing can really get 10/10. That's why it's 9.
  2. Aug 3, 2020
    As a huge fan of Beneath a Steel Sky from 1994, I was so surprised to see this sequel but it was a pleasant surprise to be sure. It can be a little glitchy and janky but Im sure they will patch it up in the weeks to come. The story is full of humor and its really great looking too at least in the environments. The character models are very plasticy looking but its not a game breaker forAs a huge fan of Beneath a Steel Sky from 1994, I was so surprised to see this sequel but it was a pleasant surprise to be sure. It can be a little glitchy and janky but Im sure they will patch it up in the weeks to come. The story is full of humor and its really great looking too at least in the environments. The character models are very plasticy looking but its not a game breaker for me. My only real criticism is that its pretty short but the experience was well worth my time. Easily an 8 out of 10 for me. Expand
  3. Aug 13, 2020
    I’ve no history with the original game from 1994, but this is a rich world with so much unexplored potential. The dialogue is kinda cheesy, but I was very impressed with the overall story. The way they implemented the scanner system to interact with holograms, droids, consoles, etc, was incredibly cool! I wished it were longer!
  4. nd_
    Aug 8, 2020
    58 players peak today? 322 reviews? for usd 35? lets just all admit its a fail. people that played it 26 years ago already have other games, better games, as industry was developing all these years - and this title appeared to have nothing to offer for a new generation. nostalgy didn't work.
  5. Jul 27, 2020
    TL;DR
    TL;DR
    Overall game tone, mood, and puzzles got more cartoonish/kid, a lot of dull uncanny valley characters, cheesy cliches, and bugs. All elements feel disconnected from each other. Lack of QA and lots of annoying bugs. I liked graphics, models, level design, and lightning, but it's not enough for a good game. Verdict - Didn’t like it, get it when it’s on 70% sale. If you are looking for a good, smart and stylish cyber-punk adventure, check out oldies or indies like The Red Strings Club

WHY?

Just to get the idea of how relevant is my review could be to your experience.
    I’ve played the original “Beneath a Steel Sky” back in the 90s as a kid. It was not even a cd-version, it was a floppy version without voiceover and if I remember correctly, the PC my family had just a pc speaker instead of a fancy “sound blaster” card, so it was mainly just beeping and clicks as a sound.

I’ve replayed the original later though my life and played Broken Sword 1-4 from the same game development company “Revolution” as well as dozens of other quests, point-n-click, adventures, and whatever you call them games, including all the classics from Lucas Arts and Sierra of course.

When I found out about the sequel called “Beyond A Steel Sky”, I was very excited, as good cyber-punk never grows old on me. I knew that it was already available through Apple arcade, but decided to wait, as I didn’t want to be affiliated with Apple’s “new gaming service” in any way. Well, fast-forward to me buying the game when the sale started on Steam.

If you are not familiar with the original - then just a couple of words about the setting. The game is set in a dystopian future, the player assumes the role of Robert Foster, who was stranded in a wasteland known as "the Gap" as a child and adopted by a group of locals, gradually adjusting to his life in the wilderness. After many years, armed security officers arrive, killing the locals and taking Robert back to Union City. He escapes and soon uncovers the corruption which lies at the heart of society. The sequel takes place ten years later after Rob’s peaceful life is interrupted by violent events, that force him to return to Union City.

Visually game set me right on the mood for a good old adventure game with a nice “comic book” feel, reminding some sort of Telltale Games mixture with Borderlands. I was surprised by the camera and control style (which is not point-n-click apparently, but a 3rd person action gamepad style), which gave me the impression of more action inclined adventure style.

Through the first hour, I realized that it’s just a gimmick for a feel of “a familiar to contemporary AAA action” user experience, yeah you will have to walk around to find the needed characters and items, but no action per se of any sort. And by the way, physics for moving around is buggy - you going to be stuck in spots with plenty room, stuck into other characters, experience buggy pathfinding with your character doing a “moonwalk” while stuck in a coffee-table and similar stuff.

The more I was playing, the more I was getting disappointed. And there are reasons for that. Minor bugs in character behavior, camera, and sound were annoying and distracting from the story, and puzzles were way too linear and not thrilling.

As I got the middle of my 12-hour game (which would take less for a walkthrough - I would say I’ve spent 2 hours at least dealing with bugs, reloading savegames, and listening to needless dialogues) I realized that I’m not going to have a deep and fun experience, but decided to finish the game anyway.

At this point, I didn’t have any connection with the characters left, nor with the narrative. Most of the characters and the plot were very cliche for my taste, and occasional fun dialogues of Joey and Rob are lost in the massive spineless waves of non-essential and dull dialogues of non-essential and dull characters. At some point it felt like it was the developer’s goal to waste your time on these and long walks around, just to make sure that average gameplay time would hit a certain mark.

The game world is very beautiful but empty at the same time. It’s interesting to see the scenery once and basically, that’s it. Why choose the form factor of the open world and at the same time not introduce anything that will breathe in life into it is beyond my understanding. Technically you have dozens of NPC wandering around to imitate life, but with the fact that you can’t even talk with them (Hey, Little Big Adventure 2, an open-world 3d adventure from 1997 had more life in it) it just adds more to the uncanny valley.

Speaking about uncanny valley - unfortunately, the animation in the game is terrible, very crude and characters don’t even blink EVER. Feels like the animation style doesn’t work with the actual models/graphics at all, which brings me to a thought, that
  6. Jul 20, 2020
    Does not work ...

I would love to play this and will change this review when they will fix the oustanding amount of bug and crash
  7. Aug 8, 2020
    It's like a Telltale game, if Telltale games had actual gameplay. You have a world to explore, you talk to characters, pick up items and use them to solve puzzles in order to progress in the game. It's a great fresh take on the point and click adventure genre.
  8. Jul 20, 2020
    Not a bad game. It's got an ok story and interesting characters. Graphics are good for a budget game. If you like this type of puzzle adventure games then you will probably have a good time. However the game needs more polish, it's possible to get into a bad state in several places where you have to reload an old save to make progress and sometimes the puzzle solutions don't seem to workNot a bad game. It's got an ok story and interesting characters. Graphics are good for a budget game. If you like this type of puzzle adventure games then you will probably have a good time. However the game needs more polish, it's possible to get into a bad state in several places where you have to reload an old save to make progress and sometimes the puzzle solutions don't seem to work so you end up having to do the same thing a couple of times until it works. Also I did experience a couple of crashes while playing though the game. Expand
  9. Aug 3, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another great game from Revolution and a worthy sequel to Beneath A Steel Sky. Beyond's execution is a bit on the glitchy side, including graphics clipping, dodgy camera angles etc., but the game has had an initial patch since release which has fixed a lot of the more glaring issues. The story definitely has it's surprising/funny moments, especially the banter between Robert and Joey, and LINCspace makes a welcome nostalgic return. You don't have to have played Beneath first to enjoy this game, but I recommend that you do, because doing so will make all of the references in Beyond - and there are a lot of them - that much more meaningful. All in all, one of my favourite games of 2020 so far! Expand

Mixed or average reviews - based on 28 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Oct 15, 2020
    Do you know how it feels to experience a sequel to a game you played (and loved!) 26 years ago on your Amiga? Do you know how it feels to realize that it was worth the absurd wait? I do now. Beyond the Steel Sky is not perfect but it reminded me why I used to enjoy adventure games so much back in the day. [10/2020, p.66]
  2. Aug 21, 2020
    A primitive adventure in all regards, complete with bad writing, poor puzzle design, and 10 years old graphics. It’s absolutely helpless.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Aug 13, 2020
    In the end, it falls beneath our expectations as often as it stretches beyond them. [Issue#349, p.96]