• Publisher: GameOn
  • Release Date: Mar 3, 2016
6.9

1. Mar 3, 2016
    Am i the only one who isn't hyped for this Game? It's pretty much the same MMO **** as every MMO just with better graphics, but they don't help you if the Gameplay is trash at all. But still it's way better than Blade and Soul - by far. For me it's an okay-ish Game, play it if you're bored as fck and about to hang yourself.
  2. Apr 29, 2016
    Lot of expectaction for a game that only partialy meet them.
    The game has a lot of ideas (mostly coming from archeage) but poorly implemented.
    Lot of expectaction for a game that only partialy meet them.
    You can see it as an opposition to Guild Wars 2. GW2 is quite a standard and "casual" mmo but it's really good on that. Black Desert has some good innovations but the implementations of these innovative things are quite far from perfection. (a bit too far i think).
    I give it a 6.
  3. Aug 12, 2017
    I'm playing this game about one year and i will try to be short.

Pros: +Graphics. +Character creator. +Big open world. Cons: -Very expensive cash shop , if u wanna play in comfort , get top gear , u definitely need donate about 400 euros , and it's not a joke , just deal with it. Pets, weight , inventory slots , trousers etc. -No dungeons . To be clear social system in BDO is
    I'm playing this game about one year and i will try to be short.

Pros:
    +Graphics.
    +Character creator.
    +Big open world.

Cons:
    -No dungeons . To be clear social system in BDO is pretty weak. No point to play in group so far.
    -Grinding. Too much of it. Actually problems starts when on your favourite spot comes dude with + 20 gear in round and takes your spot.
    -No equipment system. This is something that bores me a lot. There is no changes when you upgrade your gear.
    -End game is too boring. U just grind mobs 24/7 and kill field bosses. Trying to get tet or pen. And this is your end game.
    -This game is hell for newcomers. It's too hard to get top gear , when u start from nothing . Let's say if u wanna play this game better buy an account . U will save money and your nerves at some point.

Summing things up . I just wanna say , this game is basically pay to win. I beg u, if you're new please avoid of playing this game. Just w8 for another better MMO.
  4. Mar 1, 2018
    This is an alright game with a mix of really strong negatives and positives. The game looks great and runs great. The combat is entertaining focusing more on target control than damage. The non-combat activities such as crafting and gathering are handled in a phenomenal way and are really worth looking at on their own. The game also offers lots of idle play. You can leave the gameThis is an alright game with a mix of really strong negatives and positives. The game looks great and runs great. The combat is entertaining focusing more on target control than damage. The non-combat activities such as crafting and gathering are handled in a phenomenal way and are really worth looking at on their own. The game also offers lots of idle play. You can leave the game running and fish or process or craft, but you end up with a strong incentive to leave your PC cooking all day and night to keep up your progress.

The game also doesn't offer much for endgame. There's gear that's harder to upgrade that is mildly better than what's easily obtainable, but you can do most of your improvement at the auction house. The game is tedious to play if you don't spend another forty or so dollars buying pets to loot monsters for you. And you are forced into PVP after a day or two of leveling, and the pvp is not balanced either between classes or levels.

The game is still enjoyable and worth looking at. Again, the gathering and crafting portion of the game is really interesting and worth emulating in future games. All in all, I like it and I think I'm even playing it at the moment in another tab. Yep... still processing.
  5. Mar 26, 2017
    Pluses and minuses i can point after over 150hours of gameplay.

OPENING SENTENCE. Boring and heavily time consuming to be anywhere near competitive level/gear to play any kind of PvP. NOT P2W There is nothing at cashshop at all i would call P2W there is no items that directly upgrade your characters level or dmg/gear score. Onyly exception is item that allows you to repair
    Pluses and minuses i can point after over 150hours of gameplay.

OPENING SENTENCE.

NOT P2W
    Onyly exception is item that allows you to repair armor/weapon 3x faster, you need to spend 100s of $ to make it worth though.

BORING GAMEPLAY
    Game is all about killing mobs like asians mmos from early 2000s, not even quests just look at map, go to mob camp for your level and mash buttons until you have level high enough to go to the next camp.

TIME CONSUMING
    After over 150 hours i wasnt even close to top tier of players.
    I had to find on internet best spots to farm money to be even able to level my gear above +15.
    If you wont farm special places for cash you will end up undergeared on high "competitive" character level.
    I advice you to spend atleast 8hours per day if you want to be top tier before 2019, when all nolifes will die out from the game community.

ENCHANTING IS ****
    Enchanting system in BDO made me quit the game, most players in game praise it as entertaining and highly rewarding.I disagree with their opinion, one unlucky roll and your DUO weapon that you spend over 70milion gold on goes back to PRI. looses 50 milion value and sends you down by 10-20 AP points, wich is alot in this game.
    I wont even start writing about trinkets, job costumes and boss weapon/armor enchanting.

VERY BAD SOUNDTRACK
    No music at all, soundtrack gets boring and repetitive very fast with how gameplay is made.

GORGEUS GRAPHICS
    One of the best graphics i have ever seen in video games, even now it can compete with newest games in that matter.

FRIENDSHIP
    Game heavily depends on having friends who are willing to play it with you.
    Not gameplay wise you can do almost everything alone but it gets really boring really fast.

+no p2w at all
    +good graphics
    +good combat mechanics
    +good pvp when you finnaly are at strong enough gear level to compete

-bad soundtrack
    -boring main story
    -boring gameplay after 1 to 50 hours depends from player obviously
    -enchanting system that artificialy longers gameplay by throwing you down constantly
    **** costumes design that costs 30euro per 1
  6. Feb 12, 2018
    This game has a great concept but its a battle to get geared up in some of the farming spots as a lot of top end geared players like to grief new players. The pearl shop is filled with a lot of overpriced items to add more function to your character but there is no real pay 2 win options in the pearl shop and those claiming its pay to win is just too lazy to grind. A lot of the items onThis game has a great concept but its a battle to get geared up in some of the farming spots as a lot of top end geared players like to grief new players. The pearl shop is filled with a lot of overpriced items to add more function to your character but there is no real pay 2 win options in the pearl shop and those claiming its pay to win is just too lazy to grind. A lot of the items on the pearl shop can be purchased on the market board as well so you just need to be patient.

Character classes can be boring to play a lot of classes need to be reworked or redesigned completely the grind in this game is real but not as bad as it was. A better catchup system needs to be implemented to combat those who like to grief new players and a system needs to be implemented to prevent players 59 and above from playing on the Olvia servers which are meant for new and returning players even after the limit is supposed to be level 58. Its hard to pick a class if your just starting out I originally started as a Mystic but didn't realize about life skills that I had spent so much time leveling to realize I didn't want to level beyond 49 or I could be pked. So I ended up having to make a new mystic and level it up to 56 and unlock awakening only to realize I didn't like Mystic as awakened classes are quite a bit different from pre-awakened. I spent a lot of time leveling characters and gearing them up to not like most classes.

Everything in this game is RNG if you hate that idea as much as I do than you might want to focus primarily on getting money and buying everything you need that way. Anyways to wrap this up I give it a 5 out of 10 as it has a lot of potential but the classes are lacking in how fun they are as well as gearing is an extremely high end priority in order to be viable at end game. With the bonus xp servers top end players have still been able to play on Olvia servers and from the information gathered online they should not have access to the servers anymore with no system in place to boot them from the servers. RNG in this game is a pain in the ass and good luck to anyone who can beat this system.
  7. Nov 5, 2018
    I first played BDO back in the western release in 2016, but stopped quickly. I returned for the Remastered Update and was considerably sucked in to the game. I've played hundreds of hours now and I feel I have a good understanding of it.

Pros: - Astounding combat gameplay, seriously the best action combat I've ever played so far. - Breathtaking graphics, fantastic models and effects

Pros:
    - Breathtaking graphics, fantastic models and effects of skills.
    - Lots of variety in gameplay, you can farm, raise horses, cook meals, craft tools
    - World is richly detailed and feels very much alive, the inclusion of a vast array of npcs in towns standing and interaction in very realistic ways makes BDO feel like it's a real world that people could live in.

Neutral:
    - Open world PvP ( I keep this neutral because I don't like PvP in most games but I know lots of people do )
    - PvP centric game, there's lots of PvE content but the game is focused around fighting each other in the open world. So despite me never attacking anyone because I don't care for PvP that does not mean that some stranger will not jump on you and one shot you.

Cons:
    - Horrific pay to win micro transactions (You will need to spend over $300 to have a decent time with BDO.
    - Selfish Publishers, there is no incentive to play the game. The login rewards are unimpressive except at the end of each month where you get an rng box to try and get super nice loot. But again, it's rng.
    - RNG RNG RNG RNG, everything in this game is rng. You want to improve you items? rng You want to improve your pets? rng You want to farm for an item that will help your build? rng
    - Grind is tedious more than enjoyable, progress is slow, very slow in this game. You will be spending months and months getting even slightly close to strong enough to hold your own against other players or high level monsters.
    - Story is highly lacking. I find myself unimpressed with the narrative arc of the campaign, but that's not the main draw of the BDO, fortunately.
    - Lack of trust with the developers, I'm not sure what I mean with this, but let me try. When I play Warframe, the developers are so generous and give you so much as a thank you for playing that I WANT to give them money, because they are providing such a positive and enjoyable game experience. BDO provides nothing, I feel no connection with the developers or the game as it feels like they couldn't care less you're playing the game.
    - Overwhelming gear gaps between players, being a PvP focused game, you can fight any time you wish aside from being in a Safe spot like a city or village. But, people aren't going to attack you unless they know they are stronger, and usually, they are. The game is not balanced with the way people can get their gear and even worse now they can just pay money to have an easier time improving gear.

All in all, BDO is a very meh experience for me. But I understand the draw. I hope the developers and publishers can come to some kind of version where the game feels worth playing. But until then, I'm out.
  8. Apr 30, 2019
    This is an xbox review as there is no review page for xbox on this game. It's kind of world of warcraft during the vanilla years with much better graphics. Combat is fun and fast or that's what it seems at first but after a while it's just button bashing. Why I haven't scored it higher and that's because of it's pay to win system once PVP becomes involved
  9. Apr 26, 2016
    Yeah, the trailers was awesome as always in rpg fantasy games. I thought this game would be really enjoyable. I was dreaming about pro mechanics stuff, also with additional plot. I've played it for first time at my friends home. I was really grateful to myself, i didn't bought that game. Its not as crap as some others "mainstream" rpg's, but uhmm... it's far behind top rpg's. Well, butYeah, the trailers was awesome as always in rpg fantasy games. I thought this game would be really enjoyable. I was dreaming about pro mechanics stuff, also with additional plot. I've played it for first time at my friends home. I was really grateful to myself, i didn't bought that game. Its not as crap as some others "mainstream" rpg's, but uhmm... it's far behind top rpg's. Well, but its playable. Expand
  10. Apr 11, 2016
    This is going to be my first review since I started using Metacritic, but after seeing the high praise and flat zero's I had to write something as objective as possible. This game is not for everyone, it's a classical Korean MMO, and what I mean by that, is that there is no definitive endgame. In fact, The entire world is open, and there isn't much that you can't do as soon as you finishThis is going to be my first review since I started using Metacritic, but after seeing the high praise and flat zero's I had to write something as objective as possible. This game is not for everyone, it's a classical Korean MMO, and what I mean by that, is that there is no definitive endgame. In fact, The entire world is open, and there isn't much that you can't do as soon as you finish the first little tutorial tidbit. There is a metric **** of things you can do, aside from classical MMORPG raiding. This game is not meant for the old school raiders of the Everquest and Vanilla World of Warcraft days; it is, however, perfect for people who enjoy crafting, fishing, player housing, and grinding.

To whoever said this game is not a grind, you should delete your Metacritic account effective immediately. If you want to be a crafter, you have to grind. Fishing? You have to grind. Any aspect of income regarding the game's highly intuitive economy requires some kind of grind. Yes, the game requires you to work for the "endgame" gear and items, but none of it revolves around endgame content.

There are a lot of problems with the game on a technical level. Game optimization is lackluster, the user interface can very easily clutter your screen and it is very counterproductive for speedy recovery of items, settings, and other important gameplay aspects. The text and the voice do not match at all and the translation from Korean to English is very shoddy. It's these issues that tank the score to about a 6 or 7. You shouldn't have to pay for ANY product and have to wait for immersion-breaking bugs to be fixed.

The combat in this game, what can I say, it's mindblowing. If there was actually a large variety of enemies to fight, raiding, or any hardcore endgame pve content, this game would be more deserving of an 8. The problem, for me, is the lack of all of these features. My opinion here doesn't effect the score as this game is not advertised as such, so it would be wrong to grade it subjectively. It is first and foremost a sandbox game with some PvP and PvE elements, though they are not as prevalent as the in-depth economy. Will I ever play this game again? Probably not, I'm not into this style of MMO, but for those looking for an excellent economy-based sandbox MMO, this is a must buy. I'd say to wait a bit until the bugs have been patched, though.
  11. Mar 26, 2016
    Hina beauty sim, or Black desert online in the new mmo by Daum.
    Yes that first statement is a slight but a justified one.
    Actually, it is really hard to review a mmo because the experience you expect is subject to what is delivered and what you are used to, or the mmo you just came from. Let's crack on with the positives: Character creator is very good, if you're the type that
    Hina beauty sim, or Black desert online in the new mmo by Daum.
    Yes that first statement is a slight but a justified one.

Let's crack on with the positives:
    Character creator is very good, if you're the type that spends hours on dolly dressup on newgrounds, you will love it.
    Combat is dynamic and fluid, i thought i would hate it but actually it works really well, the combo system is intuitive and you feel you are rewarded by choosing the right skills.
    Fishing and crafting are fun, no really. It's a good time waster.
    The world is beautifully rendered.

What i didn't like:
    The pve is generic and dire, everyone knows what i mean by this , so don't make me elaborate on it. We've all done these quests.
    There is no endgame. Which in turn means nothing to aim for, nothing to gain kudos from your peers, that you have endured good content, just that inane banter that you wonder what plum or blader will be like, and whether it will be premium or free.

This is intentional of course because data mining shows that on average, a gamer spends 6 months on an mmo (average) and also for the ones that stay longer, the same mining shows that the longer duration gamers are more likely to spend money in the first 6 months of play. This is the ethos by which titles are sold, some do it differently but in the boardroom is not a flowchart showing improvements and ways to improve the game, there's just a graph with a proposed generated income that the programmers have as gospel and work around it.

Cash shop and content are the bugbears of this game. It's worth pointing out that this is ftp in korea but not so for us and maybe they forgot this in their cosmetic pricing.

Is a major fundamental cosmetic pricing in a game that uses aethetics as a selling point ?
    Of course it is, anyone coming from gw2 would give testement to the fact that there are better and cheaper ways to deal with costumes and dyes. Daum don't have the resources of Ncsoft but still, the game does smak of having a ftp store in a btp game.

The game isn't bad, it's not great either but you have to be aware that the company just wants you there in the short term, maybe after you've bought plum and ninja from the cash shop.

Just for the truthful record, i got a refund yesterday from Paypal because it just wasn't for me.
  12. Mar 29, 2016
    This is a review of the North American server, a couple weeks after it's launch in March 2016. Other servers may provide a somewhat different experience.

I used to play L2 in its early years, and have been waiting for a game that could be L2's successor. BDO showed some promise, so as soon as it was released I gave it a go. Pros: Obviously - the graphics are very good, I'll give it

Pros:
    Obviously - the graphics are very good, I'll give it that.

Character creating as well.

The physics - are quite good for an MMO too - jumping and climbing onto things. There may be some things that you walk through but at least if something looks like you can jump/climb onto it - you probably can. There aren't that many MMOs where you can climb onto very tall and thin towers, and then sit atop some pillar to meet the sunrise (which indeed looks beautiful).

It's possible to use the environment to gain tactical advantage - if you're good at parkour you can jump/climb up something and start shooting from there, and kick back enemies that try to reach you through the one narrow ladder/stone that allows access to your "sniping position". That said, the range of attack isn't REALLY sniper-level.

Goes along with the fact that the open world is indeed open. Not even like in L2 where you had invisible walls - here the highest mountains are climbable, if you find a way. The view from the top... Well, you gotta see for yourself :-)

Combat is dynamic. Non-target, kind of (although there is some kind if "sticky" reticle for the Ranger/Archer). It's not an advanced melee slasher game nor a full-scale shooter, but there is real-time evasion that depends on the player's skill, which is good. The game combat does depend on player skill, not just the character skill.

The main quest (Black Spirit) is kind of fun. Not on high-end single RPG kinda level, but for an MMO intro main line - rather fun. The Black Spirit is somewhat repetitive but has a simple, cynic sense of humor.

Cons:
    General PvE is meh strategy-wise. But I guess most MMOs have rather simple mobs, which aren't intended to be interesting enemies. The monsters are on a VERY short leash (follow you for like 20m if you run away) - after which they "reset" - become invincible and run to their spawn point. And reset to full HP. So - no luring them away, no picking one by one, leave alone anything interesting like luring a boss or a train of mobs into a village (like was possible in L2 and early WoW).

PvP is locked till lvl 45 or so.That's -2 points for me 'cause of that alone. Granted, one can reach 45 in about 20 hours of play, or less if they just grind hardcore, but... "what the hell, man???" (c)

Swimming is time-limited, you start losing HP after about a minute in the water (on the surface!). And no diving at all.

The quests you find in the world are your typical MMORPG quests... Go there kill that go there find that bring me 'cause I can't walk over 200ft... Here BDO didn't make any revolution :-D

The dialogues with NPCs are rather disconnected. Maybe it's the Western translation but NPCs say totally random things at times.
    The looping of their animations and idle dialogues is very short and obvious.
    Some NPCs can be found in different locations at the same time.

The storyline quest was kinda OK. I previously posted that it broke after lvl 13 - but no, it resumed later, by some combination of gaining a couple levels, taking a seemingly random quest from an NPC and visiting a certain location. I bumped the review from 6 to 8 due to this and due to discovering that some NPCs actually do substantial damage and have a running speed greater than my Ranger's strafing speed. The difficulty went from super trivial to "fairly-easy-but-don't-fall-asleep" around lvl 14.

Gender locked characters... Ok let's say there are no male sorcerers because of the lore, similar to the Witcher world, but why, o why can't I play as a male archer?

The mechanics are pretty good, I can see a great amount of tactical combat emerging with such a combat system: positioning, exploiting 3D obstacles, movement, combos, quick fingers - all that would matter a lot in a game with non-target, fast-paced mechanics and rather advanced physics.

It seems Pearl Abyss created a good PvP-oriented game, which has a prerequisite of grinding through a single-player RPG aka tutorial, before it lets you start the game for real.
  13. Oct 8, 2016
    BDO has a beautiful world. Its rich, immersive, its huge, you always have something to do and somewhere to go. It has a deep economic and industrial side to the game. The mechanics of Energy and Contribution is unique and a fresh take on virtual economies. It has awesome flashy combat with no tab targeting and auto attack.

Then why does it have a 5? Because BDO is a Themepark MMO

Then why does it have a 5?

Because BDO is a Themepark MMO that plays like a single player game, that pretends to be a sandbox. It sounds like a sandbox and quacks like one, but it isn't. It feels very similar to SWTOR - it feels like it should be a single player game, but it's not.

New players are practically forced into doing boring, inane quests, huge grinding quest chains. We're talking hundreds upon hundreds of quests. I love how we use the word "quest" for really stupid tasks. We're talking usual fetch quests all the way to retrieving a stranded cat or knocking over a pickpocket. Seriously? Getting someone's stray cat? NPC's provide long dialogues, some poorly voice acted - but really, who cares? This is an MMO. I came here to play with other people.

Players must grind, but new players are especially forced into an upfront investment of time and energy into questing because they need the experience to level up their Energy and Contri points. Without those, they will not have any purchasing power. There is a large RNG element in BDO as well and its frustrating.

This of course ends up in massive power gaps, as you have hardcore players with awesome gear able to 1 shot other players in PvP. No strategy, just boring domination.

For such a beautiful world, mobs are a pushover. If you somehow stumble upon a powerful mob, the game will flash red telling you that you should run. How exciting. This is beyond themepark. The excitement of exploration just isn't there.

There is hardly any death penalty. No one groups, except for specific endgame tasks. BDO players will tell you it has the "quality" of a single player game....??? It gets even more ridiculous - you can't trade with other players. You are forced to use the global Auction House, and you cant even set your own prices, you're forced by the game to set a certain price!

PvP is also pretend-sandbox. The karma system is broken - when you initiate PvP, you gather karma. Get too much Karma and there is no penalty for another player to kill you, and you might drop items. What ends up happening is practically no one initiates PvP (excluding guild vs guild) except for the hardest of the hardcore because of the repercussions and the exploitation of the "innocent" players. There is no death penalty for innocent players.

There is no character customization. BDO's little brother, Archeage, at least gave you the ability to mix and match different skill trees to create customized classes. There is practically no customization in BDO, the only thing separating your warrior and the warrior next to you is, yep, your gear!

Combat is enjoyable enough for PvE, but for PvP its totally broken. PvP fights are very brief and usually comes down to who hits first. No strategy is really involved because of combat mechanics - its just spam spam spam, with healing potions. Yes, the animations look great, you can pull off cool combos, but as far as tactics, skill, builds - it really doesn't matter.

Guild turf wars make the game somewhat interesting and there is an element of politics due to territory changes, but the guild battles really dont matter that much, once again due to the fact that theres no interdependence.

I really wanted to like BDO, because alot of work has clearly gone into it. But you spend more time conversing with NPC's then REAL PEOPLE. Theres even a mini game where you gain favor with NPC's so they share with you more information. How ironic in an MMO. Its a tragedy. The world is beautiful and vast, but feels stale and hollow because there is practically no interdependence.

The sheer amount of upfront investment for new players to grind out just to join the ranks of guilds will doom the game. Who joins an MMO, a virtual world to adventure, only to spend it catching cats for NPC's? In a year I predict that BDO's playerbase will shrink significantly and will be relegated to the only people that will thrive in this kind of environment - ultra hardcore gamers that enjoy grinding 24/7, and have the time to do it.
  14. Jul 16, 2016
    As someone who had put in more than 1000 hours into this game between the KR version and the Western release, Black Desert had/possibly still has the chance to shake up the stale western MMORPG market.

A possible great game with some inherent design flaws. The knowledge system (you get more energy from gaining more knowledge in game), contribution system (allows you to buy workshops, houses, stables, farms, etc) are marvelous features that I'd love to see in future games. You can even go out and lasso horses to tray and tame them, and then breed them to get better horses. Great siege system where you have to build forts and simultaneously defend it while attacking the enemies'. Fun Guild Wars where you can make wagers on who will win or not. There is also the smaller things such as small hidden caves, sailing, whale hunting, and the upcoming Naval content.

What brings it down in the western market is the Korean aspects. An over reliance on RNG for one. Normally rng is ok. Item drop rng and variable damage from rng is just part of RPGs, even action heavy ones. this game however takes it to the next level. Drop RNG, RNG to enchant your gear, rng to get fail stacks to lessen the rng to enchant. RNG on whether you lose expensive crystals on death. RNG on whether you get CC'd or not. They even have RNG on the auction house.

The drop rng is also bad, I'm talking sub 1% chance to get items. Spending 1000s of energy to get 5-10 of a rare needed item only to see someone spending half that and getting upwards of 10x what you got is just ridiculous. What makes this worse is that those needed items are only found during gathering. People who are trying to progress are barely playing the game. They are mainly digging in one spot for hours upon hours in the day, while those that had rng on their side are actually playing the game.

This get even worse as these items are needed to upgrade your gear, and at the level you need them gear gap gets larger making you skill in the action combat system mean less and less. In the end, your performance will come down how blessed you are in rng, then time, then level, and finally how skillful you actually are. If you have horrible results with the RNG, you could fall weeks to months behind in the span of a few days, at which point you should just give trying to PvP.

I love this game overall, and really hoped that they would have properly adopted it to the west as both the publisher and developer flat out stated the west market was different than the Korean market and would need special changes to be a success there. Daum even stated (as a decently successful launch) to want 1 million active players within a year. With as much negative feedback they have gotten recently about things such as RNG, gear gap and the currently very restrictive way to progress, I do not see Daum meeting that goal, or even getting close to it.

Couple alternate title for this game: Digging Desert Online (since you will spend most your time digging to progress), and Casino Desert Online (since your progression and thus effectiveness relies mainly on RNG, along with how many parts of the game are actually ruled by RNG).
  15. Apr 2, 2016
    I am a fan of mmorpgs. I am also a fan of beautiful graphics which makes exploring a treat. I don't shy away from action combat games either so, I picked up this game and played it for some 50 hours.

The game has many different systems in play. Housing, workers, nodes, crafting, trading, transport of goods, npc minigames, questing, etc. I first tried to play the game just by going through the motions, trying to experience a bit of everything. I am experienced with such games and usually figure things out. I failed with black desert in this regard. I believe the game does a very poor job of explaining itself to you. I had to find a bunch of guides and videos elsewhere to get me going.

I am not a crafting freak. I mean, I like crafting. I like the option of creating my own items and the ability to participate in the market and earn a bit more money and I don't mind some mild gathering. But this is a means to an end. What I really want is the money and the items that will improve my character. Some might enjoy a fishing minigame and I don't mind doing it a couple of times, any mini is ok if only repeated 2 or 3 times but after that? No thank you.

I am not a housing freak. I don't mind building a house and decorating the outside like you could do with Archeage. It's something that will exist in the game, serves an aesthetic purpose and that's ok. But putting furniture on an instanced house, that no one will see, takes time and effort that is just not fun FOR ME.
    Transporting goods, fixed warehouses, these things add a bit of a real feel to the game's towns but honestly, it's a limitation I could do without. I have to transport things myself, do some actions to move things around and I don't get any fun out of it. I remember doing trade runs in archeage and basically having to walk things over long distances. The goal there as well, was the money at the end and the trip itself gave me no pleasure. In fact, I often just played another game like hearthstone on another screen whilst my character walked. I did enjoy the aspect of danger associated with the trade runs though.

The towns and cities never felt distinct to me. I like feeling that a place is special and has interesting characters. The towns and cities felt a bit too overcrowded with npcs that don't matter. You can talk to too many people which serves no purpose. There are these minigames that you can perform with too many npcs forcing you to spend time and literally energy so that you can get a discount on some goods and this is true for so many npcs, it's just unnecessary.

I enjoy some pvp. In my 50 hours of play, the game didn't create any opportunities for me to pvp. Low lvl pvp is as fun as high lvl pvp as everyone learns the game and it offers different challenges. In BD i didn't find any. In comparison to say GW2, there was an arena that I could join at any time to improve my fighting skills and learn how to fight other classes. There was an entire pvp map where only pvp mattered (solo and grouped), with objectives, which is fun too, and you could do that from level 1. I like having these different options as they offer variety to one's tasks and stop boredom from setting in.

I like solo play but I also enjoy grouping. I like it when a game throws a grouped area in your path as you progress through the leveling. Maybe even, have a dungeon area that offers a map with specific gameplay that a group of people must figure out. Again, this offers variation from the usual grind or 'go kill x' quests. In my 50h of game I found no real group options with the exception of a couple of gathering guild quests.

I like visuals. I like to change the looks of my character as the game progresses. You see someone's armor and you know their strength. You see someone wielding a specific weapon and you recognise his power and also, it just looks good. This progression should exist in the early levels and not just when you reach max level. After 50h my wizard still looks like gandalf and all wizards around me also look like gandalf. Also, I like to play females and the game not allowing me to create females with every class...in a modern mmorpg....it boggles the mind. The game's graphics are quite nice though and the character creation is a treat.

In conclusion, the game accomplishes many of the things it sets out to do and fails on some others. The stuff that fails at like the interface, creating some sort of story, having good localization, cash shop, some combat stuff…some of these things I could tolerate. But as a whole, given my tastes, the game doesn’t offer enough to keep me engaged.

PS: The point of reviews in my opinion is not to complain. The idea is to explain the game to others whilst inserting your own tastes into it so that people with similar tastes might take something out of it. If this helped someone then hey, quest completed!
  16. Mar 9, 2016
    I will keep it short.

The game has a brilliant character creation tool, it could have been perfect if the game was not gender/age lock. 8 out 10 The game offers a very good if not one of the best crafting and trading system that you could ever find in a mmo game. The AH and the player 2 player trade seems designed to keep prices fair with no exploits The combat is more like an
    I will keep it short.

The combat is more like an action game which I find fantastic, very similar to vindictus. 9 out 10

There tons of quests and things to do. 9 out of 10

At the moment the only complain that I have is the pearl shop, the items are way overpriced for a B2P game. For example if you want to purchase a full set armor(including weapons), an armor for your horse and a pet this will probably cost you over $50. 0 out of 10

I like the game and I want to support it but I am not so foolish to pay for "skin" all that money.
  17. Aug 20, 2018
    This is a great MMO game, but only if:
    - you want to make this game your only mmo game for many years,
    - you have some monthly source of money you can spend every month on BDO. There is no official subscription whatsoever, but if you want to play seriously, you will be forced to pay an unofficial subscription by many free account restrictions - You have a lot of free time. Bcs u will
    This is a great MMO game, but only if:
    - you want to make this game your only mmo game for many years,
    - You have a lot of free time. Bcs u will need it if you want to achive something before you get old.

If you are not affraid of those things, BDO will give you best MMO fighting system u ever seen, huge amount of things to do, many development paths, best graphic and great community to share your hobby with. This is a life-time MMO, so prepare to progress slowly!
  18. Mar 12, 2016
    Nothing groundbreaking here, I got the been there done that feeling even if there are a lot of little things to do. A lot of cheesyness here to find which is very typical of all asian MMORPGs out there. Good graphics though but that alone will not hold me for long.
  19. May 22, 2016
    If you thought you knew what a grind was, you really dont till you play this game. Its not that its just an insane grind, its the fact that none of it is fun. Be prepared to use the same 3 move rotations over and over again for 50+ hours.
  20. Apr 4, 2016
    Extremely average MMO. Initially very exciting, tinkering with workers and nodes etc, but it soon devolves into an insane amount of grinding and **** RNG based gear progression system in a game with a pvp system that purely revolves around gear. Basically there's a massive gap between the "Hardcore" players who grind for 10 hours a day, and the average "casual" player who maybe grinds thatExtremely average MMO. Initially very exciting, tinkering with workers and nodes etc, but it soon devolves into an insane amount of grinding and **** RNG based gear progression system in a game with a pvp system that purely revolves around gear. Basically there's a massive gap between the "Hardcore" players who grind for 10 hours a day, and the average "casual" player who maybe grinds that much in a week. The combat is also initially incredible, fast paced and visually impressive but again, becomes an absolute chore after you've killed your millionth mob in the inevitable grind that comes later.

Honestly the most fun I've had in this game is AFK fishing. The MMO is a bunch of great ideas poorly executed. On paper it seems to have massive potential but it simply becomes very boring especially after you hit the soft cap of 50. It's extremely grindy, the story is forgettable if not completely irrelevant, voice acting is **** atrocious. Not much here except an excessive amount of grind.

That being said though, there are definitely some good aspects to the MMO. Exploration and the crafting system is very good. Doing stuff like building a boat and sailing around the Islands, then fishing etc, are all tonnes more fun than gear progression and combat elements of the game.
  21. Mar 7, 2016
    TLDR: You'll either love or hate this game. It's perfect for those who want an old school mmo/rpg.

Pros: Best graphics hands down. Beautiful game. Real 24 hr time & weather that affects mobs & crafting Extensive crafting systems Player housing Legitimate AFK farming Huge worlds to explore It's community driven (guild quests & wars) No queue times Buy to play, no sub Cons:

Pros:
    Best graphics hands down. Beautiful game.
    Real 24 hr time & weather that affects mobs & crafting
    Extensive crafting systems
    Player housing
    Legitimate AFK farming
    Huge worlds to explore
    It's community driven (guild quests & wars)
    No queue times
    Buy to play, no sub

Cons:
    "Immersion." Everything takes 3x longer to do because there are no shortcuts (e.g. No teleporting)
    Everyone looks like the same homeless scrub; hardly any weapon & armor skins. Most are in the cash shop.
    Although char customization is great, it's pretty limited within the options you have. You can't make unique chars that really stand out.
    UI is convoluted.
    Everything has a weight (move slower when heavy) and inventory space's severely limited.
    No hand-holding. Make sure you research before you screw up your char.
    No directed questing. Expect endless hours of grinding in the same spots forever.

For what it is and offers, it's pretty great. It's just not a game for me. If you're interested def try to get a free pass from BDO's subreddit and try it out.
  22. Mar 9, 2016
    I have currently played this game roughly about 6 days so far, overall i have to say I am enjoying it. In my opinion you have to approach this game slowly - learn how to buy properties, nodes, workers, basic cooking, gathering, crafting, fishing then probably trading. I made a mistake of following my friend grinding the 'main' quest on launch and that just burnt me out.

The game does

The game does feel overwhelming at first but as always you will learn and become efficient. I even managed to convince my friend to stop doing main mob quests and actually explore the game and now hes enjoying it more. I built my first raft and we just went exploring islands for nodes then went fishing (good money maker). The game is what you make of it, you go at your own pace, if you want to max level and thats your thing then do it.

Combat is good, no alt-tabbing, pretty fluid, flashy moves, and what i appreciate the most (9 out of 10 times) is if the mob doesnt hit you as you dodge or run, it simply doesnt hit you, i know quite afew mmos where once the mob has locked on and was in range despite dodging it will still end up hitting you.

I haven't touched on PvP yet (i'm only lvl23) which is somewhat important to me (as i aim to do epic castle sieges one day, in hopes to bring back the Lineage2 memories). I have read about the harsh karma system which is not ideal at all, you cannot gank people and steal their trade packs, if open-world PVP is consensual the initiator will still be penalized . Despite what Archeage turned out to be (total trash from a poisonous company Trion) the PvP was FUN.

This game does require you grind (not just leveling), Strength, Stamina will require you to do certain actions, altho it doesnt 100% hinder you, it will require AFK-ing.

But yeh overall i have to say i am enjoying this, crafting doesnt feel tedious to a point where i was forced to do it to remain relevant, the scroll bosses actually requires timing and dodging, beautiful world and graphics, fun combat.

Enough waffling heres a break down:

Pros
    - As everyone states good face customization.
    - Nice graphics, beautiful world, NPCs actually removing around makes the world feel more alive.
    - Combat system is quite exciting with flashy moves
    - Gathering and crafting is not tedious and i dont feel forced to do it.
    - It is giving me a little Lineage2 nostalgia (which is a huge bonus for me)
    - It feels like im on an adventure, especially when you stop questing and just explore.
    - Castle sieges
    - Mini games are present
    - In other MMos, once you reach a near peak of a mountain you will slide back down, in this game, you can climb

Cons
    - There is practically no armor variation in the game, they all look the same, dyes will only change the color, i want to see fresh sets.
    - Therefore this leads me to this - as many arguments there are, the cash shop is BS for a b2p game. Pets should be obtainable via ingame, a costume costs nearly the same price as the game?! The ghillie suit is the only p2w element for me, i wouldnt call the cash shop p2w tho (luckily enough).
    - Inventory and warehouse (altho expandable in game) is very tedious for a b2p game.
    - Karma system is too harsh, enough of carebear players, let the players fight (i dont mean grieving for the sake of it but when you're farming, having to look around incase of a PK adds alil excitement)
    > especially if its consensual NOONE should be losing karma from that.
    > PvPing will bring more drama and 'emotion(?)' to guild wars
    - One thing i slightly miss from later MMOs is open world events, this one doesnt exclusively have any (might be wrong, so far it doesnt)?

probably missed afew points but you get the overall message
  23. Mar 24, 2016
    The combat system is Pretty good and graphically it's a very nice game, but let's face it, this is not a good game. Storyline is way too bad and slow-paced, there's no pvp, there are no dungeons, leveling is so easy and quick, this is definetely not what to expect from an MMORPG, specially if you come from WoW's golden era, and you are seeking a new game that give you the same sentationsThe combat system is Pretty good and graphically it's a very nice game, but let's face it, this is not a good game. Storyline is way too bad and slow-paced, there's no pvp, there are no dungeons, leveling is so easy and quick, this is definetely not what to expect from an MMORPG, specially if you come from WoW's golden era, and you are seeking a new game that give you the same sentations wow once did, this just won't do it, adds very few things to the already over-exploited MMORPG genre and it lacks way too many things that are VERY important for MMORPGS.

However it's not as bad as some people is suggesting, it's ok to play this game for a few hours, it's funny at the very beginning, but don't expect to get immersed on it unless you have 0 experience with MMORPGs or you have a terrible taste, you'll most likely get tired of it after a week of playing (max). People should really stop making reviews the very first day they try a videogame, almost every game is good the first day.
  24. Mar 10, 2016
    Good systems and great potential spoiled by cheap korean MMO stuff. The monetization method is awful, and some of the UI and mechanics are dubious at best.
  25. Mar 5, 2016
    I desperately wanted to like this, it looks fantastic but at it's core it's a run of the mill average MMO. At least in English the dialogue is laughable the interface is average, the game mechanic is average there's so much outside the character creation which is down right average.

I'm happy some are loving it, genuinely I am but it's not for me. A bad game? No not at all, but just nothing new to me here after playing MMOs since Ultima online in the late 1990s, seen this all before and usually done better. Damn it's pretty though.
  26. Jun 24, 2016
    I got a 7 day pass for this game and despite its beautiful graphics and flashy combat I just really didn't get it. I'm not saying it was bad, but for me it was just a lot of style over substance.
  27. Mar 30, 2018
    Criação de personagem divertida vc pode passar horas nele, um sistema de combate fluido com muita ação, graficamente um dos melhores do estilo. Pontos negativos: * sistema de arma e armadura simplório, como não há lv lock para usar qualquer arma e armadura (exceto as despertadas) raramente você troca de equipamento seu char vai ter sempre a mesma aparência caso não queira gastar dinheiroCriação de personagem divertida vc pode passar horas nele, um sistema de combate fluido com muita ação, graficamente um dos melhores do estilo. Pontos negativos: * sistema de arma e armadura simplório, como não há lv lock para usar qualquer arma e armadura (exceto as despertadas) raramente você troca de equipamento seu char vai ter sempre a mesma aparência caso não queira gastar dinheiro de verdade no cash shop; * Qualquer coisa no cash shop é muito caro; * O jogo tem tanta coisa para se fazer e treinar que fica confuso e um pouco entediante especialmente para novos jogadores Expand
  28. Gu5
    Nov 3, 2019
    After 3 months of inactivity and actively returning into the game (with more content opened - Valencia) I'd say say that the major downsides are: "Korean typical heavy RNG" and the possible amount of power gap caused by a gear level...

If there was an MMO like BDO with purely skill-based combat - i'd call it the best MMO out there...

BDO is not perfect, but still it is enjoyable.
  29. Mar 13, 2019
    The game has the most potential to be the best MMO ever created. You will have a wonderful time your 1st time from level 1-50. Sadly that doesn't take long and the gear enhancement system totally destroys the rest of the game. You really can't progress against PVE without getting at least a full set of +17 TRI which is super RNG
  30. Feb 11, 2020
    Pros:

++The game looks good on first glance ++Character creation is pretty good ++++Currently, there are 19 classes to choose from, most unique +++Combat is pretty fun and varied on the classes with lots of skills ++Variety of activities (fishing, training, trading, gathering, grinding) Cons: --The game does not have good view distance, so the beauty only happens about 50 feet
    Pros:

++The game looks good on first glance
    ++Character creation is pretty good
    ++++Currently, there are 19 classes to choose from, most unique
    +++Combat is pretty fun and varied on the classes with lots of skills
    ++Variety of activities (fishing, training, trading, gathering, grinding)

Cons:

--The game does not have good view distance, so the beauty only happens about 50 feet around your character. Remastered mode makes everything look like Vaseline rubbed on the screen.
    --No involving storyline
    --Many systems seem half-baked or intentionally clumsy to make P2Convenience more desirable (energy recovery (slightly), weight limit system (very) , inventory system (very), horse death reset coupons (situational for trainers), higher in-game taxes on non-Value Pack accounts (depends on what you're selling), literal item drop rates via Blessing of Kamasylvia (min-maxing, but having 20% increased item drop makes up cash at the marketplace especially in conjunction with Value Pack), character skill resets (truly gross), etc.)
    --Some parts of the game are not completely implemented/clumsy/pointless like stealing which is very situational and completely unnecessary, some of the slash commands for social actions don't work. Try to actually type in "/Lie Down" and it will not work outside of clicking it on the pop-up action menu. I tried in upper- and lower-case, spaced and unspaced, capitalized and not for both first and second words, all the ways I could try type the words that the game showed me to take the action to /Lie Down and it only worked when I clicked the words in the pop-up menu, but my personal favorite: when you hit 50, the game pops up a clickable window that shows you stuff you can do from 50 onward, okay? When you click ANY of the options on the fully drawn, clickable, pop-up, another pop-up in an in-game browser opens to what it says is the official BDO wiki and NO DEVS OR GMS OR CMS BOTHERED TO WRITE ANY OF THE ARTICLES LINKED TO! Shoddy and half-baked and it wasn't even there when I first played and level 50 took a couple days within months of NA launch.
    --Out of combat movement is clunky, terrain interaction is spotty (getting caught on stairs, rocks, wagons going horizontally while ground drops away, players floating above elevators, some getting caught in animations/transitions are slow at times, etc.)
    --The community can't decide if the game is a PvE game or PvP game (it's a PvE game) that has PvP in it but there is few tangible rewards from PvP and no reason to PvP outside of Node Wars for tax rights which is a PvE system. The sole exception is there is a couple of crystals from the only organized PvP battleground, Red Battlefield, but they are only Best in Slot in one piece of gear and are optimized for PvP CC resistance, which is a whole other can of worms because at high gear levels one knockdown and death is the meta in this game's version of PvP.
    --Getting knocked down is pretty much the only mechanic in PvE, especially in Dark Rifts, which are solo versions of World Bosses designed to give people who aren't on during boss timers some way to get some possible boss rewards, they are on a 12 day timer, which is fine in my opinion, and doesn't give them as many chances as people who are on all the time, but there's still a chance with the boxes they give.
    --The gear enhancement system is a bottomless pit of materials no matter what activity you pursue, whether lifeskilling or combat/grinding which is unfortunate because the game is...
    --Grindy as hell when it comes to experience past a certain point. Also grinding is best way to make money actively so it will be the majority of the gameplay if you are trying to make the most money possible as quickly as possible, and you will need to make the most money possible because...
    ---------THE MOST MEANINGFUL MEASURE OF PROGRESSION IN THE GAME IS PURCHASABLE FROM THE IN-GAME MARKETPLACE (there is no progression of bosses or content, all progress is solely a set of AP/DP numbers to hit and it is a rich-get-richer situation where players who have certain "brackets" hit, will get even more bonuses from already having gear such as dozens more AP than other players at the same actual level or up to 20% extra damage reduction (at the absolute highest DP bracket currently)

All this said: I still give the game a 5 because I do like the world, but I find most of it clumsy, half-baked, and bad. Still, the classes are fun for short bursts, the game does implement catch-up mechanics, and even if the only way to make your character bleeding-edge is to dump money into ca$h $hop **** and P2Convenience advantages, you don't 1000% have to to have some fun with it and they do keep releasing classes and updates which keeps it relatively fresh, even if it is to just play Barbie Dress Online for about 30 bucks every six months.
  31. May 17, 2016
    It looked promising but only a few minutes into the game exposed a bunch of confusing and annoying UX/UI issues. They could have stuck with the tried and true UI of other games so that people could get into the game easily but jeeze it's a mess.

In particular, the dialog ui is bafflingly terrible. It could have easily been a simple conversation tree like half the other games out there but it's an indescribably bad system for conversing with NPCs. The other UI's and screens are confusing and frustrating as well. There's no need for it, trying to differentiate themselves has just made everything a mess!

I'm sure once they get into it, people will probably overlook all the bad UI stuff, but not me, I feel stupid for paying $40 for it primarily because because the character creator looked awesome.
  32. Feb 29, 2020
    Pretty good game, but vote brigading is a scummy practice to get the sheeple to purchase it and eliminate truthful, diverse opinions of the game.
  33. Mar 17, 2020
    this game is definately beautiful. there is a lot to do in this game but i do believe its pay to win. with all the stuff you have to pay for it sure does make it difficult to play, the people to spend more in the game have way more than the usual player. when it comes down to gear, that can really impact your character. so yes... pay to win.
    it is missing dungeons. i play mmo's for
    it is missing dungeons. i play mmo's for dungeon content with other players. thats my opinion. i enjoy going into an instance and fighting through till the boss to get loot.
    speaking of loot, there really is basic gear then small amount of boss gear so your loot options are limited, either you have a decent green weapon or you go for the boss weapon... nothing else

if gear had as many options of like.... world of warcraft, and some dungeons this would be awsome. other than that its just pay to win. i would give it 10 score if that were the case

this is just my opinion and its what i like to see in a game, i dont care what else you say or what this game is like in your opinion. no i dont play it anymore if you ask. i like my games to have certain things to have fun and unfortunatley this does not. thats what i like, dont care what you like.
  34. Apr 30, 2019
    Best MMORPG Game. If you love mmorpg games you should to play this. (for 75 characters)
  35. Jun 10, 2019
    Black Desert Online is a great game in many ways it is highly complex and has loads of things to learn and do. Inventive character classes, no level limit, Progressive combat skills, fast paced combat. Classic MMORPG elements like the "Grind" for gear drops or treasure to purchase new items off of a player driven economy with blind seller/buyers so no "favoritism" or gaming of theBlack Desert Online is a great game in many ways it is highly complex and has loads of things to learn and do. Inventive character classes, no level limit, Progressive combat skills, fast paced combat. Classic MMORPG elements like the "Grind" for gear drops or treasure to purchase new items off of a player driven economy with blind seller/buyers so no "favoritism" or gaming of the marketplace.

The game does a lot of things well! From limiting the impact of PTW Whales on the game to a great knowledge based reward system for learning about the world.

BDO also features a great Guild based PVP system called Node Wars and Conquest plus Guild Wars so PVP players can engage in open world combat with another guild, it even has a decent single player Red Battlefield event.

Great Family (Account) based sharing of resources across 6-7 characters in your stable...which reminds me of the awesome horse capturing and breeding system!

Now here is where it all goes wrong... It has Force Mode PVP that is a mode where you can force PVP combat on any other player in the world that has reached Level 50.... regardless of your level. So a long term level 61 player can camp out a level 50 zone and kill other players that cannot possible defend themselves for fun. It has a Karma system that is a joke among the community to punish "Red" players or PKers. It doesn't work.

Black Desert's Tag Line is "Become your True Self". Unfortunately for the game and its Open World PVP System many gamers true self is not a person you want to run around a virtual world with, or run into would be more accurate.

Great Game bad Community. No hope of changing. So if you are OK with getting killed while chopping a tree down while wearing worker clothes (no combat level) by a random person in a Gillie Suit (hides their character labels) or you are a Psychotic Rage Machine player forged in the fires of Fortnite and Call of Duty wanting to gank lower levels and AFK players for jollies then this game is for you.
  36. Feb 2, 2020
    Quite a fun game that doesn't require a monthly payment like many MMORPG's. It's annoying how every character will end up doing the exact same quests over and over and how some classes are male or female only. This alongside the "Kakao Cash" lowers my score down to a 7. Despite this, it's quite a fun game with spot on outstanding fights and moves. 7/10 game I'd say - it's good.
  37. Aug 30, 2020
    ‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍

Mixed or average reviews - based on 35 Critic Reviews

1. With it's massive and unique open world, Black Desert Online is inviting you to a great adventure.
  2. Jul 27, 2017
    Overall, Black Desert Online is a typical MMO in every single way. While I disagree with their claim that it’s the “next generation” of MMOs, I did find the character creation to be the most robust of any MMO out there. Unfortunately, the character customization is the game’s biggest highlight, and many of the other elements of Black Desert Online can be found in many other MMOs.
    Black Desert Online comes to the table with an intricate character sculpting tool, gorgeous graphical presentation, and a nuanced, exciting combat system overlying a less immediately apparent, but very unique, sandbox-style resource management simulation. Those looking for a rich narrative, complex or groundbreaking PvE questing, or highly unique monster design may be disappointed, but those seeking a mechanically rich, visually striking MMO will find themselves at home.