Call of Juarez: Gunslinger PC

8.2

1. May 23, 2013
    One of the best shooters so far this year in my opinion. The feeling you get when laying out headshots on enemies is great, guns feel like you really have power and the sounds are perfect. Level design is beautiful, and the game has some episodes which really happened in history (like the Coffeyville bank robbings).

Great characters that are based on real Cowboys (Jesse James, Dalton

Great characters that are based on real Cowboys (Jesse James, Dalton Brothers etc), and as you play the story is told in an original way. Definitely get this game.
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    I wasn't expecting much from this game... I just bought it because it was on sale. But I was very, very surprised. This is the most fun first person shooter I've played in a long time.
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    Best 15 dollars I've spent on Steam in quite awhile. I had a craving for something different in a shooter and this totally delivered. Not since Red Dead Redemption has a game captured the feeling of the "wild" west as well as this game. Beautifully rendered graphics and although linear in design, gave you just enough incentive with the "history nugget" unlocks, that exploring through everyBest 15 dollars I've spent on Steam in quite awhile. I had a craving for something different in a shooter and this totally delivered. Not since Red Dead Redemption has a game captured the feeling of the "wild" west as well as this game. Beautifully rendered graphics and although linear in design, gave you just enough incentive with the "history nugget" unlocks, that exploring through every nook and cranny of the levels is worth it. The guns and gunplay was done brilliantly not since the iD Doom/Rage shotgun have I had so much fun shooting! (everything from badguys to rusty coffee cans to chickens)
    The gameplay mechanics on bullet time, bullet dodging and duels was executed perfectly. The story ideas were well thought out and engaging, with an original story telling idea that you play both what the legend tells, and what the actual history was. (with the legend and the reality usually being wildly different)
    A short game, but lots of replayabilty with different game play modes and leaderboards, etc.
    If Ubi set out to atone for the horrible mess that was "C.o.J The Cartel" then they have redeemed themselves totally, and have made what is quite possibly one of the best western games ever made.
    Totally worth the new release price of 15$ and a must have if it ever goes on sale!
  4. Nov 3, 2013
    We all have games we look forward to playing...like i have waited to play Torchlight 2 for example, but what makes for a nice gaming moment is when you discover that little game you never heard of and it turns out to be an actual gem.

That was the case for me with Gunslinger, it was released in may 2013 but i only recently learnt of its existence, luckily the devs knew they have a great product so they were not afraid to release a demo on steam, i checked the game, was immediately in love with it, bought it next day.

Whatever opinion i might have of the previous instalments of the CoJ series, this one is the best for me.
    Great graphics, similar to other great games like Borderlands for example, make the game stand out.

Gameplay is also unique, every shoot out looks like you are duel, like and arcade game at your local mall, the word shooting gallery comes to mind...but that's great, weapons handle and feel great, good skill trees add a bit of variety and are actually useful, there is a decent variety of enemies and the game doesn't get boring that easy.

While you play there is a great deal of narration going on, the plot is done in an amazing way, the main hero is sitting in a bar and he is telling the story of his life, often forgetting or changing some thing which in turn make the player reverse back in time or give him a chance to do something other way.

Voice acting is done well, very well, same for sounds and music in game.

The game is fairly priced and given that you can access a demo you are being treated like a respected customer.

The only drawback i would say is that game is not that long but it has a decent replay value thanks to skill trees and game modes including New Game+.

I can recommend this game to fans of wild west and anyone else alike as this is a good shooter that will make you enjoy yourself and forget about all those hate wars about which game is better etc., this is pure fun.
  5. May 27, 2013
    The game really defeated my expectations after the horrid "Cartel" sequel that came before it. The narrative is phenomenally done for just an Arcade shooter, and the gameplay is fluid and entertaining. Other than the less than stellar graphics, I had no complaints about this good 15 dollar game.
  6. May 24, 2013
    Its so much better then i ever thought soo satysfiying gun blazing I love narrators and story and for 15 euros its the best u can buy Blood Dragon is awesome also)
  7. May 23, 2013
    Controll is good, cell shaded graphics perfect. and light story.
    Arcade mode and duels more hours fun.

Tarantino style actions :D
  8. May 24, 2013
    The history is very good
    For 15$ i give to this game 10/10 in my opinion
  9. May 23, 2013
    Great action western game, is all nice, song, graphics, sound, gameplay, and mainly the main character. The narrative of game is the point here, the narrative depends of your decisions, Silas Greaves (protagonist) tells what you do in game on real time. Very fun.
  10. May 22, 2013
    Im 3 Hours into the game and all i can say is that, for 15 bucks, you get good story telling and arcade shooting awesomeness! I think that its more than worth the 15 dollars that it costs! There is nothing to complain here other than some little hickups with stuttering wich im sure get patched very soon... I wish there would be more bucket titles like that in the future!

Good job techlander!
  11. May 26, 2013
    Great value for money, enjoyable campaign, great shooting and skill upgrades. Now has an FOV setting for the FOV Nazis who gave this game a zero rating.

I completed it on Easy in 7 hours in one sitting, and had a load of fun. Now playing through on new-game plus on hard settings, where your unlocks and weapons carry over. The graphic style, voice work and sound are brilliant, and

The graphic style, voice work and sound are brilliant, and the unreliable narrator is genuinely interesting and funny, however the twist ending is a bit predictable.
  12. May 23, 2013
    best arcade game i have ever played,call of juarez is back to what it was.after the Disappointment of the cartel that wasnt the worst gajme ever but it was very average.i thought that it deserve a 5/10.so after that ubisoft didnt want to spent a lot of money on the game so they did this game and asked for 15 bucks price.this game deserve way more than 15 bucks.the gameplay is the bestbest arcade game i have ever played,call of juarez is back to what it was.after the Disappointment of the cartel that wasnt the worst gajme ever but it was very average.i thought that it deserve a 5/10.so after that ubisoft didnt want to spent a lot of money on the game so they did this game and asked for 15 bucks price.this game deserve way more than 15 bucks.the gameplay is the best gameplay in the call of juarez series,another great thing that the game doesnt take itself to seriously.the only thing i didnt like in the other games of the series that they took thamself so seriously.and here come gunslinger to fix this problem and that why its deserve a10/10. Expand
  13. Jun 6, 2013
    Awesome storyline.. The further you go, your player continues to go on and on how he and some friends went about in the towns you will shoot up. I seen the screen is sized down to wide screen, thats a bummer for those who find that to be bothering but its of no problem for me, after sometime its like its not even there. There are tough parts but thats all part of the game and having fun asAwesome storyline.. The further you go, your player continues to go on and on how he and some friends went about in the towns you will shoot up. I seen the screen is sized down to wide screen, thats a bummer for those who find that to be bothering but its of no problem for me, after sometime its like its not even there. There are tough parts but thats all part of the game and having fun as much as possible and thats what it sure does. Western would have to be second in my book of most favorite game styles. Its worth the money i must say. also the cut scenes are skip-able if i remember correctly. 10/10 Expand
  14. Jun 22, 2013
    Cowboys and their world. I just don't get the American's fascination with them.However, I do get a good game when I play it.
    I must say that lately some budget games have been putting AAA titles to shame and Gunslinger is no exception. The gameplay mechanics feel more arcade than the previous Call Of Juarez games but it fits perfectly with the 'tall tale' style narrative of the game.
    Worthy of note is the bullet dodging system which literally allows you to.. well... dodge the bullet and live another day. The stand off mechanics is deep and tense making duels far more enjoyable than previous games in the series. Also, this is no a particularly short game, in fact it lasted longer than some full priced titles. And even better, you'll have a hoot running and gunning and dull moments are not to be found.
    A worthy game that punches well above it's price point. Heck, they could have gotten away with a $50-$60 price tag, instead they only ask for $18. Brilliant.
  15. May 23, 2013
    After the disappointing mess that was "Call of Juarez: The Cartel", the series managed to return to the old Western roots while still making it refreshing and enjoyable. The story telling and voice acting is, in my opinion of course, the best of the series, creating its most lovable and memorable character yet, Silas Greaves. The way the story is told beautifully connects to the flawlessAfter the disappointing mess that was "Call of Juarez: The Cartel", the series managed to return to the old Western roots while still making it refreshing and enjoyable. The story telling and voice acting is, in my opinion of course, the best of the series, creating its most lovable and memorable character yet, Silas Greaves. The way the story is told beautifully connects to the flawless FPS controls. The game looks gorgeous, from its Borderlands-styled graphics in the environment to the blood gushing from the enemie's face after pulling of a satisfying headshot in Concentration Mode, making you feel like a real Western bad ass. The only very minor flaws are the frame rate and the low FOV, but since the FOV almost never gets in the way of shooting some in the knee cap, it's very forgivable, combined with all the amusing content "Gunslinger" has to offer.

As a fifteen dollar arcade game, "Call of Juarez: Gunslinger" offers more fun than most of today's fifty dollar games even manage to get close to.

Gorgeous, classic, amusing: everything a great and enjoyable game has to be. 10/10.
  16. Jun 21, 2015
    A Linear Cowboy Shooter that knows it's a simple shoot em' up, but uses that to it's advantage. It has a skill/level up system, decent replayablity (i went through the game twice, you keep your skills and level on each playthrough. I went all rifles/pistols on the first playthrough and all shotguns on the second), graphics that deeply reminded me of Borderlands (in other words, awesomeA Linear Cowboy Shooter that knows it's a simple shoot em' up, but uses that to it's advantage. It has a skill/level up system, decent replayablity (i went through the game twice, you keep your skills and level on each playthrough. I went all rifles/pistols on the first playthrough and all shotguns on the second), graphics that deeply reminded me of Borderlands (in other words, awesome graphics), super fun gameplay (you can slow time after getting some kills by pressing Q, kinda like Red Dead Redemption), great humor, a low asking price (I got it for all of 3$ during a sale on steam, and it was soooooo worth it) and real life lore you can find to learn about actual cowboys from the past (Doc Holiday, Billy the Kid, ect.). If you're playing through the game on Steam, there is an extremely handy guide on how the duels work, which I highly reccomend you take a look at.

TL;DR
    Skill/Level System
    Replay Value (Check!)
    Really fun Gameplay
    Borderlands-esque Graphics
    In-Game lore on Real Life Cowboys
    Great sense of Humor
    Low Asking Price (10$ not on sale)
    Super Great Game, 10/10 "Fo ****
  17. May 27, 2013
    An amazing western arcade shooter. Great Storytelling,Unique graphics and fantastic gameplay. its way better than i expected and its definitely worth the money.
  18. May 25, 2013
    I dont understand how all the game magazines could rate this game 70 I just dont get it. This game has GREAT western story telling and incredibly fun gunplay, good music and a great song on one part of the story.. rating the whole package 70 is just plain wrong. Its like not honoring a cream cheese bagel it is AT LEAST 80... I wonder what IGNorants are going to say to the pc version ForI dont understand how all the game magazines could rate this game 70 I just dont get it. This game has GREAT western story telling and incredibly fun gunplay, good music and a great song on one part of the story.. rating the whole package 70 is just plain wrong. Its like not honoring a cream cheese bagel it is AT LEAST 80... I wonder what IGNorants are going to say to the pc version For me, i love everything about this game and so should you! Expand
  19. May 23, 2013
    Just got done playing through the main story and have to say it was an awesome ride. Gameplay is great fun, shooting feels very good and trying to rack up higher scores is awesome, the graphics look great, weapons sound as you would expect and the storytelling is done in a very original and sometimes quite amusing fashion. The story itself certainly isn't as revolutionary as BioshockJust got done playing through the main story and have to say it was an awesome ride. Gameplay is great fun, shooting feels very good and trying to rack up higher scores is awesome, the graphics look great, weapons sound as you would expect and the storytelling is done in a very original and sometimes quite amusing fashion. The story itself certainly isn't as revolutionary as Bioshock Infinity's to name a great example, but it did keep me wondering til the end. The Nuggets of Truth (essentially this game's secrets hidden throughout the levels) are a great feature as they give the player background information on famous wild west figures and events this game has definitely told me a few "nice to know" things, even though I'm sure not everybody cares about stuff like that. Also, there seems to still be plenty of stuff to do after finishing the main story another difficulty mode that let's you keep all the unlocked skills, a game mode to just go after high scores, and for those who loved the story mode duels, you can also replay those for high scores. Can only recommend this game, especially considering the low price! Expand
  20. Feb 23, 2014
    Very funny way of telling a story, really different! Gameplay is great, really nice. The graphics are beautiful, sound is way good. You can't miss this game!
  21. May 23, 2013
    Best arcade game The gun sounds are perfect

Good job Techlander
  22. May 28, 2013
    Great game, great story.
    This is probaly one of the best wild west games, besides Red Dead Redemption.
    This game is worth the 15 euro on Steam, who doesn't love a game with Billy the kid, Pat Garrett and Jesse James?
    Go buy this game now and stop reading the reviews, this is clearly one of the best games of 2013.
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    Brillant shooter with Wild West bcakground. The story telling is superb, haven't seen any game like this before. The whole single palyer campaign is about 7 hours which is pretty good for a downable title. However you can spend another 10 hours in arcade mode. The game didn't let feel down for a single minute!
  24. Jun 26, 2013
    Great arcade shooter with immersive story-telling, included with talent trees, classic western-themed landscapes, most famous outlaws of the west and the classic western showdowns. With this game Techland made it up for their horrible CoJ: The Cartel. Overall this is an awesome western shooter with an awesome price tag: 14,99
  25. Jul 17, 2013
    just excellent shooter, great graphics and story, very funny at times you learn a lot about these outlaws because game gives you a lot of info from that era. I've played all FPS on the marker, recently Sniper Ghost Warrior which is also very good but this game is lot of fun, some levels have such a great setting I would just walk around there without even shooting!
  26. Jul 12, 2013
    Best arcade shoter game ever i have played
    .Like the old style guns and allover perfect only i miss is multiplayer but no big deal the game have a very good story. Bang for bucks.
  27. Jan 7, 2014
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger is a well-crafted First Person Arcade Shooter and an awesome western experience. I love cell shader graphics when they work, and they definitely work here, the comic book style is neat and adds personality to the game, the music and sound effects are cool too.
    Game is only 15 dollars and you will get a lot of value for that. Besides the campaign there are other 2 modes Arcade and Duels where you can compete with your Steam friends for the highest scores.
    Now the downside, there is no multiplayer/Co-op whatsoever and it would’ve been nice if they had added some kind of horse experience, after all what’s a western without that? But even so Call of Juarez Gunslinger is absolutely fantastic, one of my favorite games and you should dare to visit the wild west with this one, do not miss it!
  28. Nov 15, 2013
    Absolutely incredible game. The graphics with the chrome engine really work with the gameplay, and the various mechanics that were implemented, such as dodging bullets, standoffs, and the upgrade system, were all really balanced added to the game. The levels were all varied, and it keeps introducing new things throughout the game that keep it from getting stale at any point. What reallyAbsolutely incredible game. The graphics with the chrome engine really work with the gameplay, and the various mechanics that were implemented, such as dodging bullets, standoffs, and the upgrade system, were all really balanced added to the game. The levels were all varied, and it keeps introducing new things throughout the game that keep it from getting stale at any point. What really drives this game is the story, which is award-worthy. It's the kind of FPS game storytelling that call of duty or other major franchises wish they could do. The only negative things I could say about this game are that I wish there were some kind of multiplayer, either coop or some kind of deathmatch, because implementing these mechanics in multiplayer seems like it would be really fun. It's amazing how much went into this game for a budget title, well worth the price. This may not have a lot of features, like a lot of hidden unlockables or multiplayer, but what it does, it does very well. Considering that this game is better on many aspects than some full-price games released around the same time, and it it is well deserving of a 10/10 rating. Expand
  29. Dec 16, 2014
    Great fun. Good control. Nice action. With humour. You feel like a gunslinger.. I hope there are more.. Most games let me down but not this one. Not too hard but not too easy either.
  30. Feb 7, 2014
    The game is epic and intense there are moments in the game that feel like your in the game only rare and some games have that feeling the gameplay is beautiful and this game has a long campan even when this game is on 1 disk and I played the game on Xbox and PC. on PC it feels epic because of the mouse on xbox its feeling is dull and boring take my word for it and get this game on PC
  31. Feb 8, 2014
    antastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration.This is a good arcade shooter with not too much seriousness but enough blood to make it fun :D
  32. Feb 27, 2016
    If you are searching for a first-person shooter set in the Wild West which isn't too long but captures the essence of a Clint Eastwood movie in a playable form, then I would immediately recommend Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The latest entry in Techland's western franchise pulls out all the stops and delivers a wonderfully satisfying Western shooter experience with a delicious helping ofIf you are searching for a first-person shooter set in the Wild West which isn't too long but captures the essence of a Clint Eastwood movie in a playable form, then I would immediately recommend Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. The latest entry in Techland's western franchise pulls out all the stops and delivers a wonderfully satisfying Western shooter experience with a delicious helping of plot mixed in as well.

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger follows the story of Silas Greaves - or rather, it follows the story of him recounting his recollections to a group of incredulous bar patrons. And they have a right to be incredulous as he makes increasingly outlandish claims, from inadvertently starting the Gunfight at the OK Corral to riding with Billy the Kid and claiming to have killed various famous figures of the period, including Newman Hayes "Old Man" Clanton, George "Flat-Nose" Curry, two of the Dalton Brothers and even Jesse James himself, but one unmistakeable detail remains clear - for very personal reasons he had been hunting Roscoe "Bob" Bryant, a man who had wronged him many years ago.

The gameplay has you playing through Silas's alcohol-addled recollections, which often change and shift as Silas tells his tale - ranging from bridges or paths miraculously appearing to an entire army of Apaches DISappearing. As unreliable a narrator as he is though, you just have to love Silas, as well as the characters he speaks with in the bar. All of them have much more personality than the standard FPS player-goons, and indeed the game's plot rides largely on these characters and the interactions they have with each other. As you play you find yourself eagerly following Silas's story, no matter how fanciful or nonsensical it may be, and at the end you'll find a twist which will leave you quite surprised.

To call the gameplay typical, no-nonsense FPS fare would be doing it a grave disservice. This game takes the FPS formula and turns it up to 11. Almost every other second you're ploughing through hordes of bandits and outlaws with a rifle, a shotgun or a pair of trusty revolvers, all of which are immensely satisfying to use. It's like playing through a spaghetti western; no expense is spared on the action at all and very rarely is there a moment where everyone isn't up in arms, all guns blazing.

But that's not all - at the end of most of the levels you'll take part in a standoff with one of many characters, and with these the game changes dramatically. Whereas in the levels proper you'll be shooting baddies willy-nilly, in a Standoff things are much different. You'll have to carefully balance your focus and your hand position to get the best draw speed and accuracy to kill your opponent (or on occasion, opponentS) before they do the same to you. Alternatively you can just up and shoot them first, but that results in the game penalises you for killing your opponent "dishonourably"; the loading screen menus also remind you that "history will remember you as a coward" if you do this. These tense, high-focus standoffs serve as a satisfying break from the action, whilst also elevating the game's challenge - I'd often find myself dying in standoffs about as many times as I did in the whole preceding level.

The weapons used in the game aren't very varied but neither were the weapons of the Wild West time period. There's four different sidearms, that's three pistols and one revolver, a rifle with a "sawed off" variant which appears later in the game and a shotgun, making for seven weapons total, so while the weapons choice is limited as per the time period restraints, anything more would feel like too much. You can pick your favourite sidearm and couple it with a primary weapon to match, depending on whether you prefer fighting at range or in close quarters.

This perfectly balanced variation on the weaponry is complimented by a perk system, allowing you to upgrade Silas's abilities in relation to your play style. Gaining perks also allows you to unlock Legendary weapons - slight misnomers in that they are actually upgrades to the default weapons. The entire system provides a great incentive to try different play styles to find which one suits you the most - my trusty rifle and six-shooters saw me through most of the game.

Critics compared the first Call of Juarez to a "more refined Oblivion". If that is true then one could also compare Gunslinger, to a more refined Wolfenstein or Doom. It has fantastic, high-octane gameplay, a gripping story (even if not all of it is true) and all in all is one of the best FPS games I've played in a while, as well as the best Wild West shooter I've EVER played.
  33. Mar 4, 2014
    This is truly one the best gunslinger type games ever I think everyone should try it. It gives you a truly epic wild west game this is the type of games that should have a higer price tag but the creators are amazing I say its worth the 15 bucks.
  34. May 2, 2014
    This FPS arcade is such a fantastic game. Its atmosphere and the way how the story was told is superb and very original.

Seriously guys, if you like fast-paced games, FPS and westerns, you should play this!

And a last point, this game is highly polished, giving the AAA impression.
  35. Nov 22, 2014
    This game is absolutely amazing. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fast-paced and well made, and the story is fabulous. Arcade mode is fun, and CoJ doesn't rely on gimmicks to drive the gameplay. For 15 dollars, this game is a complete steal. Its only flaw is the lack of replay value. The only form of "replay" aspect is a new-game+ like what Batman: Arkham Origins did. You keep yourThis game is absolutely amazing. The controls are tight, the gameplay is fast-paced and well made, and the story is fabulous. Arcade mode is fun, and CoJ doesn't rely on gimmicks to drive the gameplay. For 15 dollars, this game is a complete steal. Its only flaw is the lack of replay value. The only form of "replay" aspect is a new-game+ like what Batman: Arkham Origins did. You keep your skills from the last run, but enemies get stronger? I never really noticed. Towards the end of the game, you get to be ridiculously overpowered, having the game autoaim for you and rack up headshots like aimbot in Modern Warfare 2. But, the game takes 10-15 hours to complete, arcade mode will add up to about 5 hours, and this makes Call of Juarez: Gunslinger the underrated gem that it is. While the game does lack setpieces and prefers a lead-throwing romp playstyle, it is executed so well that it's easily forgivable.
    Pick this game up for its normal value, DEFINITELY pick it up if it's on sale. This could knock out a weekend.
    It's no game that'll last you forever like Payday 2 or Terraria, but it can definitely be revisited if you feel like dumping a day into some damn good gunslinging. Oh, and the voice acting is badass.
  36. May 14, 2015
    Finally a game that allows you to go all guns blazing
    I recently played this game and its one hell of a game when it comes to shooting the **** out of people.
    A good experience of the wild west. Good narration by the lead character and most of all god bejesus guns. As always ubisoft delivers a game that i would love to play. The only issue from my side is no multiplayer. Other than
    Finally a game that allows you to go all guns blazing
    Other than that this game is far way better than cod ghost
  37. Aug 10, 2016
    God Damn Good Game, CoD is hiding in fear from CoJ:G, this game absolutely marvelous, great climax, good graphicks, amazing voiceacting, there is absolutely nothing u can't love in this game. I aprove 10/10.
    MUST PLAY
  38. Jul 18, 2016
    One of the best games I have ever played. It is not just words. If you are fond of Westerns, this game is for you! There are an interesting story, good gameplay, awesome soundtrack and, what really matters, a splendid artstyle (looks like a comics)! The best game of CoJ franchise.
  39. May 30, 2013
    Clever storytelling, pretty visuals, garrulous charm, appealing sense of style, satisfying gunplay, solid mechanics, snappy pacing, decent length and a very reasonable price. Real positive, fun, surprise this.
  40. CBZ
    Jun 2, 2013
    Fun shooter, with nice unique graphics and cheaper than other games (no MP included)
    The Story is casual and tries to be funny and the mechanics are simple but a bit repetitive. Overall good bang for your buck.
  41. Apr 16, 2016
    Cool, fun, unique! We need more games like that.
    The story is enjoyable and the little twists and turns along the way keep it interesting and even funny.
  42. May 28, 2013
    A straightforward linear wild west shooter, voice acting is good, shootouts fun and the game has a good coat of polish. Price is cheap because the developers did not worry about unwanted multi player and other nonsense. Runs very smoothly on NVIDIA hardware.
  43. Apr 6, 2014
    This one was a surprise for me. The Call of Juarez series has never been anything special (it has actually been downright horrible, at times). Gunslinger, on the other hand, is something that's truly worth your time. Combine the excellent cell shaded graphics with phenomenal gunplay and you have a real winner. The excellently voiced comic book style story never takes itself too seriouslyThis one was a surprise for me. The Call of Juarez series has never been anything special (it has actually been downright horrible, at times). Gunslinger, on the other hand, is something that's truly worth your time. Combine the excellent cell shaded graphics with phenomenal gunplay and you have a real winner. The excellently voiced comic book style story never takes itself too seriously and it benefits greatly from that. As for the gameplay, they did a fantastic job of letting you absolutely tear through people as a reward for accuracy without ever letting you get lazy. Every enemy is a threat and they WILL kill you if you aren't fast enough (I do recommend playing on Hard though. I didn't touch normal.). My only complaint is the duel mechanic that quickly grows to be tiresome though you only have to do it at the end of levels. The campaign should keep you busy for 4-5 hours by which time you will unlock a New Game+ mode that lets you keep leveling up and play on the "True West" difficulty. If that's not enough, there's the relentlessly fun arcade mode that is essentially a score attack mode where accuracy, speed, and combos are key.

9/10 - a surprisingly complete package for $15 or less.
  44. Dec 22, 2013
    I haven't had this much fun in a FPS in a long long time. No 360 quick scopes, not annoying kids playing. Just pure fun...by yourself.

PROS: Interesting Storyline. Not the best storyline but it does keep the audience interested enough to keep playing. The secrets you pick up along the way really made the game more enjoyable to me. I loved learning about the old west since I knew very

PROS:
    Interesting Storyline. Not the best storyline but it does keep the audience interested enough to keep playing. The secrets you pick up along the way really made the game more enjoyable to me. I loved learning about the old west since I knew very little about it before.

Fun gameplay. The gameplay is definitely something I'll be coming back to for some time to come. Somehow doing headshot after headshot is very fun. Haven't felt that way in some time.

Fun game modes: The Arcade, duel, and storyline modes are very enjoyable and I've played through all of the multiple times. Definitely getting your money's worth there.

CONS:

No multiplayer. Although I'm not a huge fan of multiplayer all the time in every single game you buy nowadays. Call of Juarez Gunslinger could have used it since it would increase the the playability and the overall market for the game. Definitely a mistake not to include it.

Game Modes. Although I said I like the modes it isn't enough. Definitely needs more modes or sections within the modes to make the game more fun. Maybe a zombie mode too. I know thats a steal from other FPS series but just something else to increase playability would have been nice. I've played through everything and I'm wanting more!

OVERALL:
    I loved this game. Maybe not the best Call of Juarez game (since it really isn't about Call of Juarez at all...just takes the name from the series) but its fun. Cannot wait to buy the next installment since they definitely did a great job here (just please don't do a Cartel one again...horrid idea).
  45. May 27, 2013
    This has probably been one of the best arcade shooters I played over the past five or so years.
    The most unique aspect in this game is probably the storytelling. The story is predictable, but still very interesting and unique.
    The gameplay and combat shines really well in the game the combos, upgrade paths and challenging levels make the game really fun and challenging in a good way.
    Duel mode seems to be frustrating and not fun at all, graphics and FOV options are limited. These are the only gripes I have with the game.
    For such a small price, the package is definitely worth the price. I never expected something so polished and well-made.
  46. Vex
    Nov 22, 2013
    Fantastic gameplay and great atmosphere. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in ages. Even though the game resembles a cartoon/comic in many ways, it doesn't fail to provide a genuine western experience. The gameplay mechanics are great and shooting feels very smooth and rewarding. This game goes for only $15 on Steam and yet it managed to impress me more than than some "AAA" titlesFantastic gameplay and great atmosphere. I haven't had this much fun with a shooter in ages. Even though the game resembles a cartoon/comic in many ways, it doesn't fail to provide a genuine western experience. The gameplay mechanics are great and shooting feels very smooth and rewarding. This game goes for only $15 on Steam and yet it managed to impress me more than than some "AAA" titles this year (I'm looking at you Bioshock). Expand
  47. Jun 3, 2013
    For a quick $15, this game has been a lot of fun. The variety of weapons, skills to upgrade, and enjoyable gameplay make it a great game. Ordinarily, I would give this game an 8, but seeing the budget price tag combined with a load of fun made me give this game a 9. It reminds me of the cheap but enjoyable shooters of the late 90s.
  48. Mar 29, 2014
    Gunslinger is an excellent FPS "" game. One of the better games of 2013 that even appeared on Angry Joe's Top List of Games of 2013. (Which is until when i was subsequently more obliged to purchase it).

In this relatively short review, i'll cover the Good, Bad and the Ugly of this game. : + Excellent story-telling + Superb & convincing cutscenes as well as characters + Very well

+ Excellent story-telling
    + Superb & convincing cutscenes as well as characters
    + Very well optimised game mechanic, didn't have had any trouble playing it from the start.
    + [spoiler] Nugget of Truth tells stories and short bios about real life characters, places, etc [/spoiler] The Bad & The Ugly:

- Extremely short singleplayer story mode. (4 hours for < or equal to US$15)
    - Graphics doesn't seem to impress. Probably because of the engine used.
    - A.I. isn't great. Felt little to no challenge at all.
    - No tutorial centred mission(s). Players are thrown into the game with HUD overlaying short tips & other advices.

In all, i really recommend this game for it's cheap price. Worth playing, especially if you love the old 19th century Western Texas/Mexico cowboy era!
  49. Jul 19, 2013
    Great game with great story telling and excellent visuals. This game took my breathe away with its scenery. I was constantly checking my CPU temp wondering why this game ran so smoothly when it looks so gorgeous. I cant stress enough how well done the environment was designed, and how shocked I am at how little resources it needs to run it.
    Actual gameplay is linear and frankly, basic.
    Actual gameplay is linear and frankly, basic. But this game brings a lot of individualism to the table. The storytelling and artistic elements are what make this game a quality title. There are also a lot of genuine wild west references, so western fans will get a huge kick out of this game.
    Overall, this game offers nothing new or intuitive in terms of gameplay, but has some amazing storytelling, beautiful and high quality graphics, and a lot of good humor.
    At a base price of 15 bucks, this game is a worthy buy for any fps fan.
  50. May 22, 2013
    The game for what it is, a straight up arcade badass western shooter, is excellent.. Awesome narration and extremely fun gunplay makes this game a cant-miss for a budget price!
  51. May 23, 2013
    I freaking love this game! Call of Juarez was an excellent choice after the horrible game "The Cartel".
    The gameplay is amazing, the RPG-ish elements to it (The leveling system), the graphics look good, the story was cool, and western games are usually awesome. This was really well done by Techland.
  52. Jun 10, 2013
    Absolutely the best part of Call of Juarez series. If You like good western climate and a good fps You will love this game. Plot is nice, collectibles are even making it better. Guns and possibilities are also fine. And there are some activities that allow You to continue fun after ending the main game. Techland is a Polish firm and I'm proud of it.
  53. Jul 17, 2013
    I remember when I said that state of decay was the best arcade title released this year, well was wrong because call of Juarez gunslinger by ubisoft is just amazing. Firstly, art style in this game is beautiful, it looks great on the PC, I haven't seen the console version so I can't say if the PC version looks better or not(i bet it does). Let's talk about gameplay, even though this gameI remember when I said that state of decay was the best arcade title released this year, well was wrong because call of Juarez gunslinger by ubisoft is just amazing. Firstly, art style in this game is beautiful, it looks great on the PC, I haven't seen the console version so I can't say if the PC version looks better or not(i bet it does). Let's talk about gameplay, even though this game is on rails you can experience some awesome moments thanks to cool gameplay mechanics like bullet time and others. One of the best things in this game is the way in which the story is being told, throughout the game every moment will be narrated by one of the best narrators out there but unfortunately I can't spoil anything so... But there are some funny moments in this game. This is a wild West game so we have to talk about Duels. They are so much fun, there are two ways in which you can kill your opponents in a duel, you can kill in a honourable way or you can be an and kill your opponent drawing your gun very early. There is only one problem I have with this game, its length, I want this game to be longer, it took me 5h to beat this game but keep in mind this game have lots of replay value, after you beat the game you can play it again on NewGame+ mod which unlocks every weapon in the game so you can use it from the start, this may sound like an easy mode but no, enemies are hard to kill I mean very hard to kill. Lastly, call of Juarez gunslinger is one of the best titles released this year and for only 15dollars I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  54. May 24, 2013
    Finally managed to make the game playable, but only after screwing around with the graphics settings for an hour.
    This game is amazing if you get it to work properly, really fun and addicting, almost on par with bound in blood.
    The only negative that I can really think of, is that the story is just.... ok. Definitely worse than the story in the first CoJ which was just plain awesome. In
    In the end its all about the game play which was tons of fun, recommend to all who like a bit of mindless shooting now and again.
  55. Aug 12, 2013
    Great fun which is all i want from a game tbqh my only complaint is length and replayability are lacking (though i still replayed it plenty) a sequel or even dlc would be great and solve all my issues with the game and remember it is still 15 bucks.
  56. May 22, 2013
    Amazing, Call of juarez it´s back and it will win a lot of new fans. Perfect sound, more than decent graphics, plenty action, nice narrative, no multiplayer(becose this way the game it´s longer), and it is more than amazing, one of the best games i had ever played in a long time. Don´t wait more and make your self with a copy.

!The wild west is back!
  57. May 23, 2013
    The best game in the last 6 months. I dared not touch Cartel, but when I saw the western theme was back. Call of Juarez, here I come. My crossfire setup handled it like a breeze. 50-55% gpu-load on both cards. No frame drops/droops or any thing like that. I recommend cranking up the AA in gpu control panel though.

The sound of the guns, the music and the narrator. All above, simply

The sound of the guns, the music and the narrator. All above, simply awesome. What can I say? I played the entire campaign in 1 sitting. it took somewhere around 5 hours. A thorough play-through would probably add an hour or so. There are secrets in every level, "little nuggets of truth"

And the truth of the mather is, this game is worth every cent, nickel and dime.
    Buy it!
  58. May 24, 2013
    CoJ:Gunslinger isn't pretending for "best-game-ever" title. It has one simple task: make the boys soul happy. And it complete this task perfectly. U made nice headshot? Game wil highlight it! U made big-badda-bum with explosive barrels? Get the "c-c-combo points". Found new There is story behind(full of jokes). Do u like cool phrases? Now u can yell: "I can dodge the bullets, baby!"CoJ:Gunslinger isn't pretending for "best-game-ever" title. It has one simple task: make the boys soul happy. And it complete this task perfectly. U made nice headshot? Game wil highlight it! U made big-badda-bum with explosive barrels? Get the "c-c-combo points". Found new There is story behind(full of jokes). Do u like cool phrases? Now u can yell: "I can dodge the bullets, baby!"

Call of Jurez: Gunslinger is very entertaining game. Best thing to erase tiredness and make ur sooul happy.
  59. May 24, 2013
    Worthy single-player shooter. Canonical western style, simple but still cool story line. Playing this you can truly feel yourself like a cowboy, who stylishly punishes bad guys. Very similar in gameplay sence with "Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood" I think they finally took right course. If you are westerns fan "Call of Juarez: Gunslinger" is really good choise for today.
  60. May 25, 2013
    I've played the other Call of Juarez games. The first two where all about the great wild west. I've enjoyed that setting very much because it's not much out there in video games.
    The third game wasn't what everyone expected it to be so this is a great step back in the right direction.

The setting is amazing, smoked trough cowboy Silas is telling a story while you play it. With big shootouts, names you'll know from the history books and great looking environments.

Sure it's not top of the line with CoD or Battlefield, but remember this is not a full priced game.

Pros:
    - Shootouts
    - Story
    - Environments

Cons:
    - The standoffs aren't that spectacular
    - The health indication feels a bit strange.

Conclusion: Some minor issues but for the price of 15 bucks, This game is surely BANG for your bucks
  61. May 30, 2013
    Call of juarez gunslinger is an extremely fun title with a hole lot of twists and turns. You are a man named Silus Greaves telling 4 people at an inn your story. The art style is similar to borderlands, there are three game modes which all are very fun and intresting.
  62. Jun 1, 2013
    This is a great game, and definitely worth $15. The "Old West" theme is really cool, and the way they tell the story through dialog as you are playing is a nice touch. I also enjoyed reading all the "Nuggets of Truth" to learn the true stories about how everything really went down back then.

The game-play is super fun, too, with the constant feeling of progress as you see the XP add up when you shoot the enemies. The gun-play is tight and responsive, and the sounds of all the guns is perfect.

The cel-shaded art style is beautiful, especially on a PC with everything turned up to high. There is no anti-aliasing option, but I usually don't turn that on anyway.

I finished the game in 6 hours and collected most of the Nuggets of Truth during the process. After you finish the game the "New Game mode opens up which allows you to start again with your character fully decked out from the beginning.

I enjoyed this game thoroughly and recommend it to any fan of first person shooters, and especially fans of the "Old West" genre of games.
  63. Jun 6, 2013
    I played the 2 first levels of the story mode and my 1st impression is Wouaw!
    Graphics, voices, sounds of gunfire and ambient are beautiful.
    It's possible to specialize in a branch like in borderlands (Talent Tree).
    I've played many FPS but never a FPS with a Western environment but now I'm really in love!
  64. Jul 10, 2013
    Beautifully made..story structured nicely..nice narration..nice game modes too..i just wished story was a little bit bigger.. I really enjoyed the game!
  65. Sep 27, 2013
    This is an exquisite arcade experience coupled with brilliant narrative. There's an impressive amount of intrinsic rewards and, although technically repetitive, I never felt like I got the slightest bored. The game kept me active and engaged throughout the entire game including the cut-scenes.

The voice acting is fantastic and entertaining throughout the entire campaign. The characters feel believable and fit right into the world of the wild west. The world constantly changes and adapts to the story and makes for highly engaging storytelling. You feel like you're both living and being told the story at the same time. It's something I've never experienced in a game before.

Controls is something the developers have absolutely aced. They are responsive, sleek and they never get in your way. They are so good that not only aren't they in the way, they also make you significantly more engaged in what you're doing.

The AI is basic yet sufficient for the task at hand. The game isn't trying to be a hardcore experience but still manages to deliver an AI good enough to, occasionally, present you with notable challenges.

Textures, style and general visuals are something that the developers seem to have had a problem with. Although it looks good and performs fantastically it still feel it's lacking in personal style. However, the gameplay compensates for this by great measure.
  66. Jul 24, 2013
    Great game, fun, the story line and story telling is entertaining and quirky, especially how the environment can change after Silas or others change the narration. Oh, and to those who rated this game poorly because of the FoV and black border, you can fix both with a simple console command!

My only issue was the poor (or non-existent) anti-aliasing and the black outline around everything, though the latter to a lesser extent, and the lack of weapons' variety at least compared to the first to CoJ.

For its price, and what you get, its a steal.
  67. Apr 14, 2014
    This game is great but short, the main storyline could take around 8 hours to complete with a little exploring. Although the storyline isn't that long it makes up for it with different gamemodes such as duel challenges and arcade missions which are seperate from the storyline. If you are a completionist it would take you around 25 hours to complete depending on your play style. GoodThis game is great but short, the main storyline could take around 8 hours to complete with a little exploring. Although the storyline isn't that long it makes up for it with different gamemodes such as duel challenges and arcade missions which are seperate from the storyline. If you are a completionist it would take you around 25 hours to complete depending on your play style. Good immersion that directly puts you into the shoes of a Western Gunslinger along with a great storyline makes this game worth playing. It has many good artistic designs but the textures aren't that great even if you are playing on high and the sound quality is decent. A few glitches but nothing much to hinder your experience in this 15$ masterpiece. Enjoy playing! Expand
  68. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 9
    Story : 8
    Sound : 9
    Overall : 9
  69. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is the most unique FPS I've played in a very long time. From the moment you start the game, you're met with amazing narration, great story telling, and awesome gameplay. The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I would have liked to see some form of open-world exploration (I think it'd be perfect for a game like this). Definitely buy this game, you won't regret it.
  70. Sep 18, 2014
    Here we go. We have a revenge story to listen, old memories of Greaves... He's a old bounty hunter who lost his brothers. But he cheated death and decided to go after their killers. Since there's a story-telling i must say voice acting is splendid also country songs are really great. CoJG offers fantastic action, funny moments, perfect shooting.Features like skill selection, concentrateHere we go. We have a revenge story to listen, old memories of Greaves... He's a old bounty hunter who lost his brothers. But he cheated death and decided to go after their killers. Since there's a story-telling i must say voice acting is splendid also country songs are really great. CoJG offers fantastic action, funny moments, perfect shooting.Features like skill selection, concentrate mode and sense of death make it even more fantastic. It takes 7-8 hours to complete main storyline. But don't worry. Arcade mode and duels mode is offering more hours to play. You can try to do your best and compare your scores with others. I always loved to hear good stories about wild west. I like country music, i like western movies and when i'm not dreaming about become a medieval knight, i dream about become a cowboy. If you're like me this game is 11/10 for you. If you're not, it's still a pretty good shooter and it deserves 9 in my humble opinion. Expand
  71. Mar 21, 2015
    Yeah it's a short rails-shooter, but the mechanics are solid and the story is more compelling than many hyped full length games (Bioshock: Infinite I'm thinking of you...)
  72. May 1, 2014
    I am writing from old player shooter, and after years of disappointments with the series all the same and poor as call of duty and battlefield, finally, here is a game that offers a solid and varied gameplay with unprecedented mechanics, engaging story, great feedback shots, good variety of weapons, AI discreet, so much personality and atmosphere of the old wild west!
    People for 15 euro
    People for 15 euro you can not ask for better.
    If you love shooters buy it with eyes closed!
  73. Jul 17, 2014
    At first, this looks like a simple bit of fun, a bit like those lightgun arcade classics, but it reveals itself to be a lot better than that. Yes, there are plenty of FPS games out there that allow greater freedom of exploration, but there are many that don't come close to nailing down an enjoyable mecvhanic, whereas CoJ:GS has many. There are FPS games with greater visual quality butAt first, this looks like a simple bit of fun, a bit like those lightgun arcade classics, but it reveals itself to be a lot better than that. Yes, there are plenty of FPS games out there that allow greater freedom of exploration, but there are many that don't come close to nailing down an enjoyable mecvhanic, whereas CoJ:GS has many. There are FPS games with greater visual quality but whose lack of artistry falls short of the prettiness that Gunslinger provides. There are FPS games with gritty stories, but none of Gunslinger's wit and smarts. This was one of 2013's best surprises, especially after the missteps of the CoJ series of late. Buy it. Expand
  74. May 10, 2015
    one of the best FPS I have ever played. It just feels great when you shoot a guy and his blood just spurts out like a fountain. and the duel mode is very well made, and intense.
  75. Nov 9, 2015
    Way more fun than I ever expected it to be. It's funny, it's fast-paced, and it's incredibly satisfying. While it's over pretty quickly, it's replayable, and there are high-score oriented modes aside from the main story. The core gameplay moves super fast and the shooting never feels repetitive thanks to the challenge of racking up score with combos and tricky shots. Even better, theWay more fun than I ever expected it to be. It's funny, it's fast-paced, and it's incredibly satisfying. While it's over pretty quickly, it's replayable, and there are high-score oriented modes aside from the main story. The core gameplay moves super fast and the shooting never feels repetitive thanks to the challenge of racking up score with combos and tricky shots. Even better, the action is framed by a narration that affects gameplay as the old gunslinger gets his stories mixed up or the audience interjects in the middle of the fights. Amusing and charming, it's a great little western tale wrapped up in a great shooter for a great price. What I'm saying is it's great.

The duel mechanic takes a little getting used to, and feels needlessly awkward at first, but once I got good at the three-eyed stare required, it made me feel pretty awesome. Don't give up if you find yourself getting stuck on those bits, you'll get better.
  76. Jun 20, 2016
    Excellent Western genre FPS with fresh gameplay, solid sound fx & music, stylish visuals, a great story, top-notch voice acting, and an immersive experience that allows you to feel like a wild west renegade. A bit on the shorter side (completed the campaign in 6hrs), but since I got this for $1 from a humble bundle (catch it on sale on steam as well), it's still an insane value!

"New

"New Game +" allows for additonal plays through the campaign keeping the skill-tree progress you've developed by gaining experience points (from headshots/combos/etc). Occasionally, the gameplay feels a bit like "Where's Waldo?" since most of the enemies hide behind cover or blend in with environment, but there's a huge variety among the 15 levels. I personally favored the dual 6-shooters, but found that more powerful weapons (the ranger, rifle, shotgun, dynamite, etc) were necessary to succeed in later levels. Overall a great gaming experience.
  77. Jun 22, 2016
    A surprisingly strong comeback from what I am told is a subpar series, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a singleplayer-only FPS that ranks among the top Wild West-flavored games I've played- and there are admittedly not many. You take the role of one Silas Greaves, quick-shooting, hard-drinking bounty hunter who rolls into Abilene, Kansas one day in 1910 for a drink and winds up relating theA surprisingly strong comeback from what I am told is a subpar series, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a singleplayer-only FPS that ranks among the top Wild West-flavored games I've played- and there are admittedly not many. You take the role of one Silas Greaves, quick-shooting, hard-drinking bounty hunter who rolls into Abilene, Kansas one day in 1910 for a drink and winds up relating the story of his life to his fellow bar patrons. This provides the framing device for a series of pitched gunfights as the fictional Silas goes on a Forest Gump-ian trip through the old West, coming face to face with a long list of real outlaws of history. Gunslinger takes advantage of the cult of mystique that time in history has accrued, and the mysterious circumstances surrounding the deaths of some of these outlaws, to weave a tall tale of robbery and revenge that is just far-fetched enough to be plausible. Silas earns experience from his kills and levels up, giving the player a point to spend in Gunslinger, Ranger and Trapper skill trees, which upgrade revolvers, lever-action rifles and shotguns, respectively. You can also throw dynamite, and use bullet-time, upgrades for both are seeded through all three skill trees. It is possible to earn all skills eventually, though this will take more then one playthrough. When Silas comes up against a legend of the west, the player will engage in a duel minigame that has you focus his sight on target, adjust his hand for a faster draw, and then choose to shoot before or after your opponent draws for a dishonorable or honorable kill. Scattered throughout the story levels are collectibles called "Nuggets of Truth" that when found confer an experience bonus and give you some real historical background about the people, places, events and objects you see on your journey. In addition to Normal and Hard, there is a "True West" difficulty mode unlocked after completing the game once that disables your hud. Aside from the story, there is an arcade mode with pre-made levels distinct from the story, and a duel mode that comprises additional dueling challenges. Gunslinger is alive with a vibrant, cell-shaded art style, excellent voice acting, sound and music, and overall presents an incredible deal for the price. If you have not played a Call of Juarez game before, as was the case with me, you should probably start here. A must play for any Western fan. Expand
  78. Jul 10, 2015
    I really enjoyed this game, more than I thought I would. Nice 6-7 hour romp through the Wild West with a pretty solid narration/story as you go. Good fights and areas, nice duels, good pacing.
  79. Sep 17, 2013
    Best 'ARCADE' style shooting game I've ever played. The gun sounds are perfect and the feel right. It's a straight forward, linear, aim and shoot shoot fest. For the silly retail price, you won't find a better gaming bargain today.
  80. Aug 28, 2013
    Fun game; short. Just like this review. A bit repetitive. Just like this review. Bought it on sale for cheap, cannot beat the value. Just like this re
  81. Jul 19, 2013
    Pretty good value considering the price. There isn't much variety to the gameplay, but it's very fun if you're just after a wild west killing spree.

Where it really shined for me was the story telling. The voice acting is very good, accompanying art is outstanding, and the way old Silas backtracks through his story, and happens to remember a path/opening/ladder that escaped his previous attention is quite amusing. There's not much to the actual story, a cowboy seeking revenge, but I found myself wanting to hear the story unfold.

I got about 5 hours out of one play through of the main story line. Was happy considering it cost less than $20.
  82. Jul 19, 2013
    Sometimes you stumble upon a game without any expectations toward it and come away all the better for it. I think trying to describe this game in detail ends up being a disservice to it, because there's a very simple thing that makes this game tons of fun: the fact that you enter a world where history and historical fiction blend together, allowing you to step into the Old West as the oneSometimes you stumble upon a game without any expectations toward it and come away all the better for it. I think trying to describe this game in detail ends up being a disservice to it, because there's a very simple thing that makes this game tons of fun: the fact that you enter a world where history and historical fiction blend together, allowing you to step into the Old West as the one pivotal character that gets to interact with all of the great legends of the Wild West.

The rest of the experience, IMHO, becomes secondary to the joy of being able to have a shootout with any famous name from all the books and movies you already know. That said, the hits and misses still come out on the positive end. Of the Juarez games, this ended up being my favorite without a doubt.
  83. Jun 8, 2013
    Like all the Call of Juarez games, this one wasn't lacking in action and it will hold your interest. My only complaint would be about the "Death Sense" feature. This broke up the game momentum and became increasingly annoying. Even with this new feature, the game seemed low tech compared with the others, with fewer buttons and whistles except for the exasperating fast draw meetings.Like all the Call of Juarez games, this one wasn't lacking in action and it will hold your interest. My only complaint would be about the "Death Sense" feature. This broke up the game momentum and became increasingly annoying. Even with this new feature, the game seemed low tech compared with the others, with fewer buttons and whistles except for the exasperating fast draw meetings. This could be why the price was so reasonable. Still, this game was fun and I felt a real sense of accomplishment when I finished it. Expand
  84. May 26, 2014
    Gunslinger is a good arcade shooter that came as a surprise after The Cartel. You go through western levels shooting baddies and racking up score for kills, headshots, and other assorted feats. With these points you rank up and get new skills based upon 3 different skill trees. It's a fresh new approach for the franchise. The story is well presented and interesting throughout. The game isGunslinger is a good arcade shooter that came as a surprise after The Cartel. You go through western levels shooting baddies and racking up score for kills, headshots, and other assorted feats. With these points you rank up and get new skills based upon 3 different skill trees. It's a fresh new approach for the franchise. The story is well presented and interesting throughout. The game is quite short, however. Don't expect to put in more than 7 hours before you're done. Even on the hardest difficulty, you won't be getting stuck for long. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the direction they took the art. The cel-shaded graphics aren't really my style but they were never too bothersome. The biggest gripe is that by the end of the game you'll be wanting more, and there isn't much else to do. There are arcade missions which are just slightly altered, and shortened version of the campaign levels. There is also a duel challenge which i didn't find good at all. Dueling was one of the worst parts of the game. Thankfully it's too hard and you only have to duel a few times throughout the game. Recommended for all Western and Shooter fans out there. Hopefully we can get a sequel to this sooner rather than later. Expand
  85. Jan 4, 2014
    The Wild West on steroids! A tongue-in-cheek FPS with a non-stop narrative, which juxtaposes cowboy cliches with elements from games like Borderlands and Rage. It's not a high-spec or AAA title, so graphics look pretty dated. But that doesn't matter as you're driven relentlessly through fast-paced shooting gallery levels, not too challenging on hard. Not a huge fan of the quick-drawThe Wild West on steroids! A tongue-in-cheek FPS with a non-stop narrative, which juxtaposes cowboy cliches with elements from games like Borderlands and Rage. It's not a high-spec or AAA title, so graphics look pretty dated. But that doesn't matter as you're driven relentlessly through fast-paced shooting gallery levels, not too challenging on hard. Not a huge fan of the quick-draw stand-offs you have you to complete. But overall was pleasantly surprised with CoJ. Expand
  86. May 27, 2013
    Fantastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration. I like the focus on getting high scores and combos. Texture quality and weapon variety were lacking, but for a straight shooter at this price, it's unexpectedly polished and thoroughly enjoyable. The best wild west shooter I'veFantastic shooting, decent voice acting (better than BiB), and great environmental and sound design. It's got a silly and fun story with Baston-style narration. I like the focus on getting high scores and combos. Texture quality and weapon variety were lacking, but for a straight shooter at this price, it's unexpectedly polished and thoroughly enjoyable. The best wild west shooter I've ever played, and out of all the Techland games I've experienced, I feel it's their best effort by far.

Also, you know what? I'm GLAD they didn't shoehorn in a multiplayer mode which would've taken away development time that instead went into improving the core of the game. Besides, I felt that the arcade and dueling modes suited this game much better. It's a 4 to 6-hour long, $15 singleplayer-focused experience.

It's not the greatest port, but I didn't get any issues whatsoever, and it ran at about 35 to 40 fps on my Core 2 Duo Radeon HD 6570 combo (not even an entry-level gaming machine). Didn't run into a single bug either. I was happy they added in the option to change the FOV via config files, but it should've been there since day one. At least the default was 82 horizontal which I thought was reasonable, though 90 would've been ideal. Also, while this does support resolutions for all aspect ratios, the game will always display in a 16:9 letterbox with horizontal black bars if you're running at a non-16:9 resolution. It's likely intentional for a more cinematic effect, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Just a head's up.
  87. Apr 17, 2014
    Hell, boy, Gunslinger is the fastest single-player FPS in the West! Where most of them "shooters" nowadays go all serious and business-like, arguing fancy tactics and whatnot, Gunslinger is like jumping off a stagecoach, off-loading lead from your trusted six-shooter while pouring down your favourite Whiskey refreshment.

The game plays as a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, with a

The game plays as a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, with a story and presentation style that capture the exciting atmosphere and feel of the "Wild West", with all the tropes from your favourite Westerns. If you like shooters or have even a remote interest in the Wild West, I challenge you to try the demo and not be hooked. You get a taste of the full game, the rest is pretty faithful to that demo.

The gunplay is really great, and the gameplay mechanics with "concentration" (kind of a bullet time) and "sense of death" (last chance to dodge that bullet that was about to kill you) are really satisfying and fun. Plus, it features different tropey locales and situations, like prison escape, bank heists, mines, indian caves, train robberies, ghost towns, etc etc. The graphics engine is really good, providing nice detail and beautiful sceneries, and is as fast as the action itself, with ultra high fps even in the highest quality settings.

Hell, boy, I ain't had this much fun shooting since Lord knows when. TRY IT!
  88. Jul 23, 2013
    Call Of Juarez: Gunslinger has a really cool and new storytelling-style. It's has also a really good feedback of hits, so you are really motivated. The gameplay features are pretty cool. You feel like a cowboy, but not like a real. You can't ride on horses or something like that. If there were more western features, it would be one of the best and coolest yeah!) first person shooters, I played!
  89. Jun 5, 2013
    Other western games may better capture the great importance of the American West, but pure, outrageous western gunfights have never been more thrilling and satisfying than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let's hope this marks a new direction for the franchise and not yet another let down in its ever more schizophrenic history.
    The story is presented as a mere flashback, with Silas
    The story is presented as a mere flashback, with Silas Greaves, the bounty hunter, recounting his achievements across the American west as he holds court at a local saloon. At any moment though, the story might change as Greaves recalls something he forgot to mention or a listener gives him hard time for one supposed “fact” or another.
    When it comes to game-play, you might be finding yourself fending off an Apache ambush in the middle of a hunt for fleeing bandits, only for someone to ask why there are suddenly Native Americans in the mix. Greaves then recounts and explains, “No, they ambushed me like they were Apaches,” at which point the scene changes as your attackers suddenly transform into outlaws.
    This happens repeatedly throughout Gunslinger. The environment transforms itself right in front of the player, and an confined space could suddenly have an exit that Greaves forgot to mention. At one point, your path leads to a deadly encounter with the end of a speeding mine cart, complete with a Game Over screen that quickly disappears as the game rewinds while Greaves explains how stupid it would have been to take that particular path.
    The unusual story progression does put a nice twist on what would otherwise be a linear FPS. Gunslinger embraces a much more ambitious look than past Call of Juarez games. Vibrant colored textures that heavily emphasize shadows to the unique look of Gearbox Software’s Borderlands games, but the overall feel falls closer to that of a graphic novel.

players also have the option of playing around with either Duel or Arcade modes. Duel is a boss rush mode that pits you against key enemies from the story in a quickdraw arena. The quickdraw mini-game however is a weak element in Gunslinger, with players needing to juggle a pair of meters by twiddling the left and right thumb sticks. It’s a solution to an aspect of Wild West lore that doesn’t entirely translate into good nor entertaining game-play.
    Arcade mode though offers much more in the way of replay value, with breaking the story’s intense combat moments up into a chain of discrete encounters. You can simply max out a single skill tree in the course of one play-through, but you can’t go much further than that. Arcade acknowledges this with a “loadout” selection at the start of each challenge.

Conclusion?

This is without any doubt a fresh and original take on what most would call an ailing franchise, and it’s a game that is worth investing a handful of hours in if you’re a FPS fan. It may not reinvent the FPS, but Silas Greaves’ payable tall tale tweaks formulas just enough to provide a memorable experience. However Techland unfortunately is in the position of having to redeem itself after the horrific misstep that was 2011′s Call of Juarez: The Cartel and 2013's Dead Island: Riptide. Gunslinger puts the tobacco spitting series back on track with an almost arcade experience and a visual twist you could only ever get if Borderlands screwed Red Dead Redemption, got pregnant and then gave birth to one genocidal child.
  90. Oct 31, 2013
    When I started playing this game, I had forgotten it'd been 7+ years since I last played FPS games. Naturally, in all of my arrogance, I assumed I'd be just as good as I ever was and I'd be pulling headshots left and right.
    Well... that's not how the story actually went.
    Well... that's not how the story actually went.

In the end I had to start with the lowest difficulty setting. The game was a lot fun, I'll tell you that. It was also quite good-looking. I found myself just looking at the varied landscape more than once. I almost wished there was more of it. Of course, that was not the point of the game as much as it was to shoot bad guys, and there were a lot of them.

The action didn't degenerate into trench warfare at any point and the difficulty curve, I found, was varying, either by design or accidentally, but nevertheless it kept you on your toes. One big gripe with the game that I had was that I was mostly oblivious of the constant name-dropping and references to famed Wild West figures/movies. That is to say, if you're a fan of Westerners, you'll love this one.

The leveling system in the game was something I disliked a lot, though. You start at level one and gain more abilities, more ammo capacity and flat-out better guns as you shoot more guys through the head. What this means that the game inevitably becomes easier as you go on. Or, it inevitable becomes what it should've been from the start. Despite all the positive words I just typed, I almost quit playing the game 2 hours into it, partially because my mouse-arm was rusty and I couldn't get things done and partially because at the start, there was not much you COULD do.

If you get past that however, expect to explosive ride through a, sadly, somewhat short story. Oh, and the revolver duels are awesome.
  91. Jul 22, 2013
    It's a very entertaining game. I can't help but feel like a badass whenever I play it. The action is so satisfying. I liked the story but I thought the ending was predictable and maybe a little cliched. As far as length of the story mode, I thought it was a bit on the short side. There is, however, an arcade mode and a duel mode but it becomes boring after a while. Overall, this game wasIt's a very entertaining game. I can't help but feel like a badass whenever I play it. The action is so satisfying. I liked the story but I thought the ending was predictable and maybe a little cliched. As far as length of the story mode, I thought it was a bit on the short side. There is, however, an arcade mode and a duel mode but it becomes boring after a while. Overall, this game was well worth my money. Expand
  92. Jul 24, 2013
    Other western games may better capture the great importance of the American West, but pure, outrageous western gunfights have never been more thrilling and satisfying than they are in Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Let’s hope this marks a new direction for the franchise and not yet another let down in its ever more schizophrenic history.

The story is presented as a mere flashback, with

Conclusion?

This is without any doubt a fresh and original take on what most would call an ailing franchise, and it’s a game that is worth investing a handful of hours in if you’re a FPS fan. It may not reinvent the FPS, but Silas Greaves’ payable tall tale tweaks formulas just enough to provide a memorable experience. However Techland unfortunately is in the position of having to redeem itself after the horrific misstep that was 2011′s Call of Juarez: The Cartel and 2013′s Dead Island: Riptide. Gunslinger puts the tobacco spitting series back on track with an almost arcade experience and a visual twist you could only ever get if Borderlands screwed Red Dead Redemption, got pregnant and then gave birth to one genocidal child.
  93. Aug 1, 2013
    Again in the wild west. I don`t know what they were smoking when they made Call of Juarez The Cartel. But now it is time to send more hours in the wild west whitout fully automatic rifles.
  94. Nov 9, 2013
    Probably the best Western Shooter since Outlaws back in the late 90's from LucasArts. The story telling is done in an original way that keeps you engaged but their history is completely broken (wrong outlaws in the wrong battles). For example they pit Billy the Kid against the Pinkertons which was actually Jessie James and his gang.

My biggest problem with the game is the glitchy

My biggest problem with the game is the glitchy shootouts I died once and when it spawned me back it gave me no reaction time to press the directional keys (bug)... every time I spawned only to be killed again with the [key] appearing AFTER I was dead. At least I encountered that problem early in the game.

Also, sometimes you feel like you're just getting into a groove with the shootouts and then they launch back into the story mode again which pulls you from the action you're craving therefore, the best feature is also its biggest challenge. They probably should have extended the first-person shooting sequences (they're just over too quickly). I haven't passed it yet but other reviewers claim 8-10 hours to get through it.

All-in-all, a good game if you pick it up cheap on Steam. At $50 I'd of been a bit frustrated but at $8 on Steam you can't go wrong.
  95. Nov 5, 2013
    I love Westerns, and I love FPS's; this game fulfilled my need for both my loves and created a beautiful game. The campaign was fun and somewhat interesting, but my favorite part of this game was the fun combat system they had. All of the guns felt satisfying when they were fired, duel wielding makes you feel like a boss, and slow motion gunfights are a great way to enhance a Mexican Standoff.
  96. Apr 17, 2014
    This game is pretty damn good. Has great music, told a good story, has good combat, looks good, has some pretty funny lines. If you have any interest in cowboys / westerns, or just looking for a good shooter, this game is recommended.
  97. Dec 4, 2013
    This game is incredibly simple, but that is what I like most about it. No side quests, no mini-games, no boring wandering through oversized maps. Just pure arcade style linear action for about 6 hours, with somewhat interesting narration throughout. There are a few collectible "secrets" on each level, which is contradicting with the "wander too far from the storyline and the entire levelThis game is incredibly simple, but that is what I like most about it. No side quests, no mini-games, no boring wandering through oversized maps. Just pure arcade style linear action for about 6 hours, with somewhat interesting narration throughout. There are a few collectible "secrets" on each level, which is contradicting with the "wander too far from the storyline and the entire level restarts" mechanic.
    The duel sections weren't that great, and I saw the end of the story coming about halfway through the game, but it was still enjoyable.
  98. Jul 6, 2015
    Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a arcadey first-person shooter game with a Wild West influence. It has an interesting storyline that pulls you through the main game mode, which roughly lasts 7 hours. The environments are well-varied and the sense of action is incredible. Shooting enemies never felt this satisfactory in a game before. Pulling off those headshots and seeing my enemies fall toCall of Juarez: Gunslinger is a arcadey first-person shooter game with a Wild West influence. It has an interesting storyline that pulls you through the main game mode, which roughly lasts 7 hours. The environments are well-varied and the sense of action is incredible. Shooting enemies never felt this satisfactory in a game before. Pulling off those headshots and seeing my enemies fall to the ground in a heap of blood felt so good. There's also three skill trees present in which you can upgrade your abilities. That was a nice touch. However having said that, there are a few problems. The duelling sections were overused and there was a lack of gun variety. Sure, I felt really attached to some of the guns I used but I wish there were more guns available. Furthermore I believe that the game needed a multiplayer mode. All in all, Gunslinger is a damn fun game but overall lacks in gameplay variety (no multiplayer, overused duels). Expand
  99. Jan 21, 2014
    This game was a lot of fun to play through. The story was engaging and not very predictable. The guns all felt great and the upgrade system was interesting. The graphics were nothing amazing but the good nonetheless. The landscapes were absolutely beautiful. The voice acting fit the characters but were only decent. The combo system is a very nice addition that adds more depth to theThis game was a lot of fun to play through. The story was engaging and not very predictable. The guns all felt great and the upgrade system was interesting. The graphics were nothing amazing but the good nonetheless. The landscapes were absolutely beautiful. The voice acting fit the characters but were only decent. The combo system is a very nice addition that adds more depth to the combat. It is a fantastic wild west shooter and if you are looking for one this would be perfect. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  100. Jul 3, 2016
    A very unique and enjoyable shooter, you play as a famous bounty hunter who's telling his tales in a bar, and you get to act them out as he does from his perspective. There's a demo on Steam so you can try it out first, it totally sold me on the game. I finished the story in just under 5 hours, but there's also a high score arcade mode, as well as new game+ which lets you do the storyA very unique and enjoyable shooter, you play as a famous bounty hunter who's telling his tales in a bar, and you get to act them out as he does from his perspective. There's a demo on Steam so you can try it out first, it totally sold me on the game. I finished the story in just under 5 hours, but there's also a high score arcade mode, as well as new game+ which lets you do the story again on a higher difficulty. Overall I really enjoyed it and it was only £5.99 in the sale. Expand

1. Jul 30, 2013
    The Call of Juarez series has had its ups and downs over the years, but Gunslinger stands proud—not only against its own checkered past, but against the FPS genre as a whole. It may not be a subtle or particularly nuanced experience, but it's certainly a cracking good time delivered with a style and confidence that's rarely seen in a full-priced title, let alone a $15 download.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 9, 2013
    Call of Juarez returns to western genre, and that is fine. A pity though, it imitates itself, even its competition. However, this story is worth it even without a happy-ending. [Issue#231]
  3. Jul 5, 2013
    Don’t mistake price for quality – this is a top-notch shooter, limited in resources but not in heart.