8.7

1. Jan 17, 2023
    This is essentially what happens when somebody who grew up playing JRPGs in the 90s ends up making his dream game. This is filled to the brim with references to SNES and PS1 classics but at the same time eschews the time-consuming and tech-limited aspects of the era. If you like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Final Fantasy and Breath of Fire, you'll be supremely entertained with this little gem.
  2. Jan 8, 2023
    I actually played this game on my steam deck and I could never get enough. Between the fresh new take of the overdrive bar to the lush-16bit art style, this game brought back the glory days of turn based JRPGs. The story line constantly evolves and never gets stale, new mechanics are added at the perfect time. Honestly this is the game of the year contender to me atleast in its category asI actually played this game on my steam deck and I could never get enough. Between the fresh new take of the overdrive bar to the lush-16bit art style, this game brought back the glory days of turn based JRPGs. The story line constantly evolves and never gets stale, new mechanics are added at the perfect time. Honestly this is the game of the year contender to me atleast in its category as a jrpg at the very least. I never leave reviews but must let you guys know about this one. $25 is a steal for this masterpiece. Hats off to the developers this game has become an absolute favorite of mine. Expand
  3. Jan 8, 2023
    Great soundtrack and combat system, awesome history, beautiful pixelart, nice exploration, and endearing characters! best JRPG game that i've played in years
  4. Jan 15, 2023
    Definitely the best RPG I played in 2022! The end result is a gameplay and pixelart lesson.
  5. Dec 10, 2022
    The best turned based RPG I have played since persona5. It’s a true throwback that doesn’t hold your hand. Lots of exploration and a fun battle system. Anyone giving this game a score lower than an 8 is trolling.
  6. Dec 11, 2022
    It's a great game. It is a game with a pretty good fighting method, map design, and above all, high completeness. I think this game could be nominated for the 2023 TGA Indie Game of the Year.
  7. Dec 14, 2022
    A great modern take on a traditional style of jrpg. The pixel art is good, the music is fantastic, the gameplay is addicting, the story is decent, the challenge is moderate, and it has a reasonable length especially for its price. Chained Echoes is definitely a traditional jrpg enthusiast's dream.
  8. Dec 13, 2022
    The creative genius feels especially present. The direction cut from the slaps, the turtle race and the homage to previous RPG legends remind me that I'm not slogging through a cliche. I'm frequently left in these moments, savoring the game's efforts to impress me.

The source material respects itself as much as its homages respect previous masterpieces. The world building is thoughtful. It is succinctly detailed without excessive exposition; you are informed and then left to either follow along or Google to catch up with the plot. I am reminded of Final Fantasy Tactics not only from character art but from how that plot unfolds through clean dialogue.

I could go on forever about other stuff but I hate walls of text. I'll say that the characters don't piss me off, the combat is the right amount complex - not overloaded with clutter like Xenoblade 3 and the music I've left idling while making tea/coffee because I've got COVID and feel like hot garbage.

This is a love letter to Deck 13 and Matthias Linda. Take my money. Thanks for helping me through COVID. I will be watching what you guys do moving forward. This is a hot take but, to me, you are one of the modern greats akin to FromSoftware or Santa Monica Studio.
  9. Dec 19, 2022
    Simply superb. Made by one man who obviously knows his way around an rpg. Since starting it, I simply cannot put it down, and even find myself thinking about the game during the times I am not playing it!
    Do yourself a favor - go play this now!
  10. Dec 16, 2022
    This game is the culmination of the things RPGs done right in the past decades. It reminds me of a lot of things: Chrono Trigger, Xenoblade, Xenogears, Final Fantasy, and heck, even a little bit of FMA. It draws out inspiration from past titles but keeps its own flavor. This is simply an RPG done right, and it's all that need be said.
  11. Dec 13, 2022
    Ich habe noch nie einen dermaßen guten RETRO JRPG Titel wie diesen gespielt. Und ich habe so einiges gesehen.

Dieser Titel bedient sich an dem BESTEN was Klassiker wie Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics und co zu bieten haben und bringt es auf ein neues Level. Extrem guter Soundtrack, tolle Charaktere, innovatives und packendes Skillsystem und eine interessante Story mit einer

Extrem guter Soundtrack, tolle Charaktere, innovatives und packendes Skillsystem und eine interessante Story mit einer wunderschönen und qualitativ hochwertigen 16-Bit Grafik.

Und das auch noch von einer einzigen Person entwickelt aus Deutschland.

Diese Person lebt meinen Traum und teilt ihn mit uns allen.
    Wie oft habe ich mir gewünscht, dass jemand kommt und uns das beste aus den Klassikern vereinte Spiel präsentiert. Wo andere riesen Spielekonzerne gescheitert sind, hat dieser Entwickler genau ins Schwarze getroffen.
  12. Dec 11, 2022
    A fantastic JRPG with hints of nostalgia paired with a unique battle and progression system. Also it’s got Mec battles similar to Xenogears and that’s all you really need to know to determine if this is a game for you or not.

The only reason it’s gets a 9/10 for me is that navigating the in game menus is a little clunky sometimes. Specifically, when using the crafting menu to combine crystals or upgrade weapons/armor with crystals if you don’t have a valid paired option then you cannot deselect the original item without completely existing to the main character menu to try again which is really annoying considering how often you have to do this. It’s really a minor thing but between that and a few other menu issues, which I’m sure will be patched eventually, I’m not able to give it a perfect score.
  13. Dec 12, 2022
    Se siente especialmente cautivador ver todos estos elementos de los RPG's puestos en un juego, es un verdadero tributo a la nostalgia, con una historia bastante entretenida.
    Me gusta la mecánica del overdrive, hay que prestar bastante atención a estos elementos para que las batallas no resulten tendenciosas y complicadas, pero tampoco bastante simples al estilo machaca botones.
    Particularmente el apartado gráfico es bellísimo y la música inspira bastante ambiente según el contexto, es un juego memorable.
    Espero que Matthias continúe haciendo juegos, una secuela no vendría mal para ser honestos, pero primero hay que ver si aportará algo más al juego, quizá más adelante.
    Hasta entonces, yo le doy esa calificación, me parece un juego excelente para estas navidades.
  14. Dec 18, 2022
    One of the best jrpg game in years. Chained Echoes is a gem and should be played by anyone who love this genre.
  15. Jan 6, 2023
    I'm not the biggest fan of JRPG's but this is one of the best rpg's I've played in the last few years. It really is amazing. Great cast of characters, awesome combat system that is reminiscent of classic jrpg's but innovative on it's own and a really good story. Highly recommended.
  16. Jan 1, 2023
    Good retro style game with a lot of nice gameplay novelties. The story is really good, even the side quests are something fun. The fighting is good but some bosses are difficult at the end. And I pretty much hate grinding. I give the game 85%. Finally a non generic JRPG that doesn't feel like a RPG maker clones.
  17. Dec 20, 2022
    I'm so happy. Chained Echoes is fantastic and super fun. Great story and characters, Great mechanics. It's a JRPG from the 90s but made today with plenty of quality of life changes. SO GOOD.
  18. Jan 2, 2023
    Great JRPG. Amazing story, made me remember the good old days. If you liked Chrono Trigger, you are going to love this.
  19. Dec 29, 2022
    é incrível como jogar por meia hora te traz um sentimento nostálgico de jogos como, Pokemon (game boy/Nintendo DS), Legend of Zelda (Super Nintendo), uma trama que você reconhece como animes e combate de turnos que não fica enjoativo com tantas possibilidades de alterar golpes e habilidades, jogo fascinante para aqueles que sentem falta de um bom RPG pixel art em um mundo distópico eé incrível como jogar por meia hora te traz um sentimento nostálgico de jogos como, Pokemon (game boy/Nintendo DS), Legend of Zelda (Super Nintendo), uma trama que você reconhece como animes e combate de turnos que não fica enjoativo com tantas possibilidades de alterar golpes e habilidades, jogo fascinante para aqueles que sentem falta de um bom RPG pixel art em um mundo distópico e personagens para ficar na memória. Expand
  20. Dec 26, 2022
    Very well-made RPG!
    Finished the game with 50 hours playtime. Best RPG in 2022 for me.
  21. Dec 29, 2022
    I can't stress enough how amazing this game is! It's a love letter to the classic JRPG's from the SNES and PS1 era. Although it's inspired by these games it has a personality of its own, a lot of new and creative mechanics, like the overdrive mechanic, an almost impeccable story and captivating characters. Oh and let's not forget the primorous soundtrack that takes you back directly to theI can't stress enough how amazing this game is! It's a love letter to the classic JRPG's from the SNES and PS1 era. Although it's inspired by these games it has a personality of its own, a lot of new and creative mechanics, like the overdrive mechanic, an almost impeccable story and captivating characters. Oh and let's not forget the primorous soundtrack that takes you back directly to the 90's. If you're a fan of turn base RPGs you'll definitely love this game, give it a try!!! Expand
  22. Dec 12, 2022
    It has those stupid "dumb down the game for me" option on the settings, so that's an instant garbage, lazy and boring game for me. Make a proper hard mode or something.
    Thanks god we have refunds on PC.
  23. Jan 8, 2023
    After 45hrs, the fantastical journey full of cultures, people, beasts & monsters, politics and mechs has come to a very moving end. I have not experienced anything like this since in the 90s, and let me just say that my bar is quite high on games. Xenogears, FFVI, FFVII, Suikoden games, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics came to mind when I went through the world of Chained Echoes. TheAfter 45hrs, the fantastical journey full of cultures, people, beasts & monsters, politics and mechs has come to a very moving end. I have not experienced anything like this since in the 90s, and let me just say that my bar is quite high on games. Xenogears, FFVI, FFVII, Suikoden games, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics came to mind when I went through the world of Chained Echoes. The game is very detailed, has a great way of telling it's lore and history of the countries. Music is incredibly familiar yet new and of high quality.

The game is a solid 9/10 and a modern classic in my books. The gameplay is deep, and at the same time the quality of life improvements from the 90s classics are so well implemented that your time will go very fast.

The only thing Matthias and the gang can improve on this is with slightly more distinguished and personable writing for each character, slightly sharper and less American English colloquial text, slightly more advanced Suikoden II type of sprites and more complex animations for them and higher fidelity 2D backgrounds, more variety of music, longer story, and overall more complexity in enemy design and the world.

However, what he has achieved here is on par with the 90s classics and everyone knows that they could have been improved upon as well. The game is simply stunning, so play it and support Matthias as he is one of the top game designers in the world right now.

9/10 score comes from a critically-minded gamer with 35+ years of experience across multiple genres. I'll give it a full 10 on Metacritic simply because of the stunning achievement of making this happen. What a fantastic, and surprisingly good RPG!
  24. Jan 24, 2023
    My 2022 GOTY. Hands down. A nod to a better age of gaming where combat and story actually mattered. Beautiful work.
  25. Jan 17, 2023
    JRPG’s from the SNES, Genesis, and PS1 era are better in our heads than they are in reality when you go back to play them now. We remember the stories, the timeless pixel art, the beautiful music, but we forget that random encounters, repetitive battles, and unintuitive AI. Chained Echoes takes the “Shovel Knight” approach to retro inspired design, by trying to recreate these games as weJRPG’s from the SNES, Genesis, and PS1 era are better in our heads than they are in reality when you go back to play them now. We remember the stories, the timeless pixel art, the beautiful music, but we forget that random encounters, repetitive battles, and unintuitive AI. Chained Echoes takes the “Shovel Knight” approach to retro inspired design, by trying to recreate these games as we remember them, not as they were. Obviously it nails the presentation. It looks and sounds incredible, but that’s to be expected. The story and world building, while maybe a bit too convoluted for my liking, are overall very well executed. But it’s the combat where this game really shines.

Chained Echoes has one of the best turned based battle systems I’ve ever played. Each character plays uniquely and brings their own strengths. The Overdrive system keeps you on your toes, adding a fun risk and reward mechanic to every battle. There are fewer battles overall than your standard JRPG, but each one feels consequential. Even a few low level enemies can give your party a hard time if you’re not playing by the game’s rules.

Just like with the story, there are a few too many mechanics to deal with in the core gameplay. For example, crystal fusing, shop deals, weapon and armor upgrades, the rewards board, keeping your whole team’s gear and Sky armor up to date. It can be a bit too much. But everything else is so great, its well worth it.
  26. Jan 15, 2023
    Rarely I type a review down to Metacritic but for Chained Echoes it is my pleasure to help other people and convice them to try Chained Echoes. It is really a true JRPG which no one should skip. Play this modern JRPG in 2023.
  27. Jan 28, 2023
    The 1st half of the game is almost perfect, 9.7-9.9 for sure. The combat system is unique and engaging with it's overdrive system, amazing animations and characters. The graphics are very good, the story is interesting and the boss battles are very fun and engaging. Even the random encounters are somewhat fun with my only small gripe being very limited characters to select from compared toThe 1st half of the game is almost perfect, 9.7-9.9 for sure. The combat system is unique and engaging with it's overdrive system, amazing animations and characters. The graphics are very good, the story is interesting and the boss battles are very fun and engaging. Even the random encounters are somewhat fun with my only small gripe being very limited characters to select from compared to endgame. The game then introduces a new combat system that I strongly dislike, you get completely new gear with bland attacks and a very different overdrive system that is annoying to manage. There are specific boss battles and enemies that you are required to use this new system for and they are so damn strong that you can't use the more interesting character based system to defeat them. The ending gets even worse and overstays it's welcome with convoluted maps that feel impossible to traverse, more annoying and required battles with the new combat system. The ending is honestly a 4/10 and ruins what could have been a 10/10 game, it is still worth playing for the beginning alone and you might not be as pissed off about the ending as I was Expand
  28. Jan 22, 2023
    This game is a masterpiece for beginning to the end. Soundtrack, progression system, puzzles, fights, skills. The Story is one of the best I've ever seen. The producer is a Chrono Trigger fan. Enjoy!
  29. Jan 11, 2023
    this game is outstanding in almost every way. Probably best jrpg since the 90s
  30. Jan 25, 2023
    A pretty nice RPG, but his fighting system is frustrating and limiting.
    +++
  31. Jan 28, 2023
    I was baited into this game, people always claiming it was a good old school RPG made me try, but the thing is, the plot is really boring, bland characters and repetitive battles.
    the soundtrack is fine, the graphics, but i couldn't get into the story, i have no idea what was going on, confusing narrative and extensive dialogue with little and no information.
    this overheat system is
    this overheat system is annoying actually.

Universal acclaim - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 27, 2023
    Chained Echoes is a well-made turn based RPG with 16-bit nostalgia and classic JRPG identity. Although there are some elements that are not quite fitted to the story as it flows, it is a highly recommended title for those who love JRPGs.
  2. Jan 17, 2023
    Considering the hubris of Chained Echoes, it should not work, but it does, and beautifully. Matthias Linda has created a broad world that is ripe for further exploration. The only worry now is that the bar is set too high, but it's hard to imagine the team creating anything with less passion and polish. After playing through a creative, familiar, yet distinct game that engages players in nearly every way, one can only hope that there will be more from the brilliant team behind Chained Echoes.
  3. Jan 3, 2023
    A product of a 7 years of hard work, Chained Echoes is a very, VERY successful debut game for a game made by a single person. I recommend it not only to JRPG fans, but to anyone who is interested. Who knows, maybe your entry into the JRPG genre will be Chained Echoes.