3.7

1. Feb 18, 2019
    Rouge-lite One Thousand and One Nights themed game made in Unreal Engine 4. It's both simple and rich in content. It plays like Skyrim, or maybe more like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I miss Prince of Persia games so much and City of Brass has the perfect mythos and the atmosphere for me.

Lots of creative gameplay elements like wish genies, the whip and it's countless utilities, lots of classes to and lots of passives to unlock, lots of environmental objects to interact with, wide enemy variety, magic potions, lots of different weapons, beautiful environments, beautiful sound design and the overall nostalgic aura the game has is great.

And all this coupled with regular patches and content updates keep the game fresh and live.

I just feel a warm love for this game, and I definitely recommend it.
  2. May 5, 2018
    Repetitive and boring, every level looks alike. There's very little actual content, some reviewers have finished the entire campaign in less than an hour.
  3. May 8, 2018
    I thought this game will be good, but it's bad.
    + Graphics is nice.
    + Simple gameplay but nice too.

- Sound is poor.
    - No map or minimap.
    - No saving option or checkpoint. Have to play it from the beginning to the end, playing at middle of game then quit and you have to play from the very beginning of it (level 1).
  4. Jun 6, 2019
    Absolutely terrible game for PC. Poor controls, repetitive levels even for a roguelike, and just not engaging. Graphics are fine, nothing superb. I got this for free during the Epic Games Mega Sale. It is exactly worth what I paid for it. If it cost anything, even $1.99, I would have felt cheated.
  5. Jun 23, 2020
    This is a great rogue-like game. It is underrated and many negative reviews are ridiculous because the reviewer has no concept of the type of game it is.

The power ups are good, the theme and graphics are good, the enemy types and bosses are fun. it's addictive and clear that the devs have experience from bioshock and know how to make a game.
  6. Jun 12, 2020
    Looks and plays well. The lack of story and change throughout makes this game difficult to go through. The concept if great, and the look and feel is gorgeous. The seemingly lack of combat development really hinders the rouge-lite capabilities this game is leaning so heavily on.
  7. Jun 5, 2019
    Quick preface: I picked this game up for free from the Epic Store, so feel free to take my enthusiasm with a grain of salt.

Prince of Persia meets Mothergunship. It's a fun little rogue-lite action game with an Arabian setting that is kind of refreshing. It's simple but fun, and the game has its good and bad points. If you can get it under $10, I definitely recommend giving it a try!

Mixed or average reviews - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Aug 2, 2018
    For the first couple of hours City of Brass was lots of fun, mainly thanks to the whip, which is a cool, versatile tool, and the game’s unique setting. Then scarcity of content reared its head and despite the efforts of a very capable procedural generation algorithm repetitiveness became more and more wearisome. [07/2018, p.50]
  2. Jul 19, 2018
    Provided you keep expectations in check, City of Brass can be fun. The game is set up well for those starting out with roguelikes, and the various tweaks ensure that everyone has a chance to see the ending. For the hardcore, it can also be tweaked to be tougher, and that'll be necessary if you want any kind of challenge. This doesn't feel like a long-lasting experience, but the presence of leaderboards will be an incentive to those who might want to speed-run through the game. If you don't mind a few of the aforementioned flaws, then give this title a chance.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 13, 2018
    Solid and in deeper levels absorbent roguelike game from a fresh shooter view. The game doesn´t lack charm, but to keep your attention it would need twice as much. [Issue#286]