- Summary: Contagion isn't your average Zombie Shooter but instead takes a more realistic and different approach to the popular genre with unique characters, environments, weapons, items, and a built in system that makes every round completely unpredictable with resources, objectives, and paths ever changing.
Positive: 0 out of 4
Mixed: 4 out of 4
Negative: 0 out of 4
May 20, 2014Contagion is a game that with continued patch support and new maps, has a true potential to be a contender against more popular zombie games out there. However, with the current state of the game I would have to tell the curious buyer to enter into it at their own risk.
Jun 7, 2014I waited for this project from the very first announcement in 2010. Watching the development process on Indiedb, and later when the game wasI waited for this project from the very first announcement in 2010. Watching the development process on Indiedb, and later when the game was released in early access I was just surprised at what has been done, although even then it was not a finished product. Looking at much progress the developers have made becomes clear that there are people who do what they promise, and with the very high quality.… Expand
Jun 7, 2014I falling in love with this game, playing with friends is more funny . the maps with the different routes made them replayable and now withI falling in love with this game, playing with friends is more funny . the maps with the different routes made them replayable and now with the workshop the game gonna get maps from the community this gonna icrease the life time of the game , the only pointless imo is the zombies they can be better.… Expand
Apr 15, 2014If you like realistic zombie games then this is a MUST! It's like L4D but so much more realistic! The atmosphere is also amazing, you get thatIf you like realistic zombie games then this is a MUST! It's like L4D but so much more realistic! The atmosphere is also amazing, you get that real tense and scary feeling when playing!… Expand
Jun 7, 2014This is the review I made on Steam
Pros: -Workshop support for custom maps and gamemodes -Great variety of weapons: 2 pistols, 357This is the review I made on Steam
-Workshop support for custom maps and gamemodes
-Great variety of weapons: 2 pistols, 357 revolver, semi auto rifle, hunting rifle, 2 shotguns, 2 assault rifles, 2 SMGs, crossbow, and a few melee weapons
-High quality sounds, plays a very large part of the Hunted game mode
-Great graphics and optimization for a Source Engine game
-Same Zombie Panic: Source characters, with some added backstory
-4 Gamemodes: Escape (complete objectives with team), Hunted (hunt down other players while avoiding zombies), Extraction (rescue NPC survivors from hordes of zombies), *NEW* Panic (classic ZPS gameplay, players must hold out against the player zombies, no NPC zombies), Panic Objective (a mix between Panic and Escape)
-Difficulty (easy, medium, hard, expert) and player zombie toggle
-Good stealth system
-Maps: Aurora Estates (medium size, town with enterable houses, playable on Extraction, Panic, and Hunted), Cypress Park (medium size, park map with CDC tents placed all over), Roanoke PD (large size, police station map, playable on Escape and Panic Objective), Pioneer Express (medium size, some sort of underground subway area, playable on Hunted and Panic), Barlowe Square (very large size, city with enterable buildings, subway, movie theater, restaurants, gas station, playable on all gamemodes)
-Classic ZPS voice acting
-Player zombie mechanics (bite from behind for increased chance of infection, press R to roar and call AI zombies to your aid, press E to blend in with the regular zombies)
-COMING SOON: Biotec, remake of one of the best ZPS maps
-Melee combat is bad
-Lack of content… Expand
Aug 19, 2014THE BAD
Movement can sometimes feel clunky, for example, when running and stopping it almost feels like you're on ice, slipping around.THE BAD
Movement can sometimes feel clunky, for example, when running and stopping it almost feels like you're on ice, slipping around. There's just something that doesn't feel quite right. However, for the most part, the controls are as responsive as they need to be to make an enjoyable game.
The animations are pretty rudimentary, not very detailed and generally look awkward. This is more forgiveable on the zombies, because, well, they're zombies. However, some of the animations on the player models could use more than a little work. I'm not sure where the Contagion devs stand on this and whether or not animations are at all on their "to do list", and to be perfectly honest, I can live with the animations as is, but some improvements would make for a more immersive experience. The worst offender in this case is trying to board up windows and doors where the animations will bug out almost every time and don't seem to play correctly, ever.. It doesn't stop you from actually boarding anything, however, so its not game breaking, just immersion breaking (I leave it to the reader to decide how egregious that is, I'm not necessarily looking for an immersive experience with games like Contagion - I recommend Day Z for that) .
Some of the maps... to be perfectly frank, are just boring. Rananoke PD being (my opinion) the worst offender. It's just so bland and uninteresting, though I honestly couldn't suggest how to make a Police department interesting, and it is a location you would expect to find in this setting for any discerning zombie survivalist. I think, in an attempt to address to the "blandness" of this map, the Contagion devs decided to expand on its concept by making it a virtual prison, complete with tiers and mess halls. I'm not sure how accurate that is of real life as I understand most jails are actually independent of any police station. It also doesn't do much except add to the length of the map.
Sound effects... Are just not that great. Especially the guns, with the possible exception of the m4 and AKM, are not what I would call stellar. Not much music to speak of, I think the only track is the menu music, though this game, arguably, doesn't really need much in the way of music anyway. It sort of adds to the deadness of the atmosphere and the idea that man's time on earth is potentially up. However, that could just be this authors bias presenting itself as I quite like this game.
- game play. Besides the sometimes clunky movement is really, really good. It emphasizes teamwork and punishes lone wolves (usually with a horrible, bitey death). Even on lower difficulties, without care, you can find yourself in a sticky situation. The emphasis on headshots (a la Romero "head shots only" zombies) and primarily slow moving zombies and the necessity to conserve ammo make for a more interesting and deep cooperative experience than contemporaries, like, say L4D1/2. Attempts to take on the zombie horde lone hero will more than likely result in death. In fact, if you can avoid the zombies altogether, that's usually the better option, again, unlike L4D where you are essentially forced into killing every single zombie that gets in your path. In this way it makes somewhat of an attempt to make it more realistic, ammo is scarce, so don't waste it on a slow moving target across the map that will never catch up to you.
- Taking ques from its predecessors. This game is, in no doubt, highly influenced by popular games such as Left For Dead. It not only takes into consideration that things it did right, but the things it did wrong as well. Contagion, while similar in many ways, has also carved out its own unique niche, making it a distinctly different game. "Special infected" are handled much like L4D's "uncommon-common infected" such as the riot gear wearing zombies in some campaigns. These make an appearance in Contagion as well, and for a disorganized team, can mean total disaster. In many ways when you see these types of zombies it's more of an "oh **** moment because they are actually hard to deal with. In L4D coop modes I (and most other people) can solo anything without so much as a second thought. Tank? Molotov and run the timer down. There's no such easy options in Contagion, however. Sure, you can run from it, leave it behind, but chances are you're back tracking through that same area meaning you'll have to deal with this fully armored zombie eventually.
Annnnd I'm running out of space (stupid 5k word limit!), so I'll cut to chase: If you like L4D, you'll probably like this game, especially if you like a challenge and a more "realistic" environment. I would give this game a full 8/10 if it felt finished, but it doesn't... And that's probably because its still under active development with content coming at a fairly regular pace. Recommend it to any zombie fans!… Expand
Jul 5, 2020Помню был очень рад анонсу этой игры, это вроде (улучшенная) Zombie Panic! Source. Ждали ее с другом, но на выходе получили просто шок, а неПомню был очень рад анонсу этой игры, это вроде (улучшенная) Zombie Panic! Source. Ждали ее с другом, но на выходе получили просто шок, а не игру, ну в принципе,то, что сейчас в основном выпускают все разработчики, так вот, после приобретения, с ее то лагами итд, нормально понятное дело поиграть не вышло и не удавалось еще длительное время, пока не обновил компьютер. Когда все таки это произошло, там вышло много патчей и обновлений, я не могу сказать что это хоть как то исправило проблемы игры.
- Игры :
1.Серверы, типа, в той же ZPS на серверах играет до сих пор по 20+ человек, здесь максимум вроде 12, кайф. А с начала игры, воде 8 было доступно, очень скучно в таких реалиях играть.
2. Физика игры, я понимаю что ZPS была своего рода развлекательной игрой по сравнению с этой, но блин, как же дубово все чувствуется от управления персонажем, до выстрелов, а про зомби я вообще молчу, даже если его человек контролирует это просто шок.
3. 0 камуникации с сообществом, игра если хоть где-то и жива, то это точно не на территории СНГ, типа, в игру даже не играют, она просто есть, ее создали, что то добавили, забрали бабки и ♥♥♥♥♥♥ забили, типа, в то время пока люди с других стран хоть как то играли, для СНГ игрока это сплошной кошмар, если он захочет поиграть с людьми, это только дальний уголок света с пингом 200+, очень интересно, а главное честно.
4.Дух той самой ZPS, его просто тут нет, из-за реалистичности или из-за дубовости, я так и не определился.
Вообщем, игру я брал в самом начале, то есть, в ее БЕТА выходе, но даже сейчас по скидке, я бы врядли ее рекомендовал, разработчики все сами ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥и, а мы как игроки лишились еще одной классной игры.
Игра должна была стать духовным наследником Zombie Panic Source, но этого не произошло потому что игра вышла супер сырой и самым большим ее минусом стали сервера, которые в ZPS были на 24+ человека, но здесь их решили сделать от 8 до 12, так тупо. Да круто что добавили зомби ботов, но изначально их должно быть мало или один супер сильный, который превращает одного человека в зомби, что бы было так же играбельно как в ZPS, но нет, мы получаем кучу зомби ботов с людьми, которые легко умирают, да это типа псевдо - реалистично, но до сих пор, в игре нет нормальных серверов и комьюнити которое бы их держало и настраивало, за зомби играть очень тяжело. Но вроде появилась надежда, разработчики не забили оказывается. Будем ждать и смотреть к чему это их и нас как игроков приведет.… Expand
Dec 2, 2014I do not recommend this game. The graphics are rather bad, the controls are sluggish and your character moves as if he weighs a ton. About theI do not recommend this game. The graphics are rather bad, the controls are sluggish and your character moves as if he weighs a ton. About the game design, it is very restrictive and has zero sense of open world, exploration or anything else close it: Kill next wave of zombies or stay here forever, no thank you. This and other things about the game, getting stuck at doors and walls, clearly portray how this game was built by amateurs with no real vision or skill to deliver what they set out to create. On top of that, you will get your comments and your review banned if you dare to criticize the game on Steam since they carry mod powers over there, thus my 0 rating, otherwise it would have been a solid 2.… Expand