7.2

1. Sep 3, 2019
    The gameplay gets repetitive very quickly but the voice work and writing is awful from the very first minute. Less compelling words have never been less convincingly delivered. Honestly, the idea that real, living, adult human beings earned a wage writing the words being spoken in this game is mind-boggling.

Still, there's no denying it's pretty. Pretty like a painting which can only be

Still, there's no denying it's pretty. Pretty like a painting which can only be viewed in tandem with the world's worst audiobook. Plus stale gameplay.
  2. Sep 2, 2019
    First, let me begin with that I see myself like an avid Remedy (especially Sam Lake) fan. My childhood is marked by Max Payne & Max Payne 2 and I think that Alan Wake is one of the best experiences I've ever had (I say experiences because the gameplay was not exactly the best I've ever had)

Quantum Break was okay-ish. Besides that absolutely epic production value, the game itself was bland at best and the story was 6.5/10 max.

But this... I mean, I really expected a lot, a lot more. Sam Lake is a tremendous writer but Sci-Fi is not his strong side. Thriller/Noir stories are something he really excels at but this second attempt at Sci-Fi just doesn't cut it. The story is boring, the characters are not relatable (I really don't care if someone of them dies and this is always a bad thing). The whole experience is just not memorable. I'm a fan of good quality SCP (X-Files, Stranger Things, etc) but this doesn't even come close.

Gameplay-wise the game gets repetitive very quickly. The upgrade tree is very basic and boring, the shooting mechanics are okay and the power feels awesome but that gets very old quickly. Soon after you will see the boring pattern of the gameplay loop. Go there, kill the enemies, claim the control point. Go there, kill the enemies, claim the control point.

This is the most painful 4/10 rating I've ever give since I really, really consider myself as a Remedy Entertainment hardcore fan.
  3. Sep 3, 2019
    Do not bother playing this game.
    The game does a terrible job at introducing you to its world. it feels like you missed a cut scene or a dialogue for the first hour or 2. And by the end you kind of just accept things.
    Checkpoints are miles away from your objective.This is particularly infuriating because many enemies can one shot you. It artificially increases the duration of the game
    Do not bother playing this game.
    It artificially increases the duration of the game by adding absurdly long shooting parts. The ending fights take (I'm no kidding) around 20 minutes each. 20 minutes of literally just shooting at zombies, while all you want is to progress the damn story. And don't you dare die to one of the one shot dudes, or you'll get to fight them again aaaall the way from the beginning.
    The only reason I kept playing was to ~~unveil the mystery~~. Too bad the ending is just the same non-sense and it was all a waste of time.
    The gameplay is fun for a while, but these guys should be awarded for not knowing what their game is about. They do everything in their power to take you away from the story line, either by flashing uninteresting side quests on your face, filling the world with "lore" collectibles that don't add anything to the story, adding 10 minute long shooting bits or by making you go back to the last checkpoint.
    Don't even get me started on the terrible waypoint system.

Again, don't play the game. It's not worth it. My last couple of hours I was just forcing myself to play it just to see the ending, just to get disappointed once again.
  4. Aug 28, 2019
    It has some old good Max Pain features like ringing phones that you can pick up, amazing game physics and objects interaction. But the game itself is super boring and repeatative. Scenario makes no sense, some psychodelic crap, with no prestory, no indroduction, same locations and enemies all over again and again. Same rooms, same boring shooting. Thers no fun in shooting enemies: someIt has some old good Max Pain features like ringing phones that you can pick up, amazing game physics and objects interaction. But the game itself is super boring and repeatative. Scenario makes no sense, some psychodelic crap, with no prestory, no indroduction, same locations and enemies all over again and again. Same rooms, same boring shooting. Thers no fun in shooting enemies: some rainbow stuff instead of blood, and bodies imidiatly disappears. With no explanation at all what is going on. Basicaly script is : BURO (makes no sense), BROTHER, DIRECTOR(makes no sense), HISS (makes no sense). I would put zero or one score if not great furniture shooting. Do not reccomend, if you cant try it for free. Expand
  5. Aug 28, 2019
    This Nvidia RTX Tech demo could be an excellent game. Shooting furniture is fun for only a little while.
  6. Feb 13, 2021
    its bored me to death i dont give any little **** about storty wtf is this gameplay i would excuse it if this garbage came out 2010 **** this
  7. Jun 4, 2020
    I didn't want to score this game at all but I had to, to write these comments. Why? Because I returned the game after playing an hour to get a refund.

The main reason I returned the game was that I could not connect to the protagonist and the story. I thought I was mistaken about it so I read a few reviews and finally read a summary of the plot. It just confirmed that it was a poorly written story.

First let me talk about the protagonist: Jesse.
    Normally when you play a game you identify with the main character. Mass Effect springs to mind. This often means that you know what she knows. Of course, this is not always the case, but it is usual so when things are important to the story. However, in this game it is clear that the protagonist knows things that you do not know and which are vital to the story and you do not get informed about them in a straight manner. Why are you in that building? What is your motivation? You get only told in bits and pieces. Some games do that too, but often supply a reason: the main character has lost her memory or is otherwise unable to recall everything correctly. Some games and movies make that into a story feature: it is called the unreliable narrator. Here it is simply: you do not get told for no other reason than we want to keep things mysterious for the player. As such there is an immediate disconnect between you and the main character.

Now couple this to the poor story development. You wander through the halls of this empty building that has obvious been invaded by some hostile force. It screams that fact from the security screens in the first security room near the entrance. I found this well done... until I ran into the janitor. Did he not notice the alarms? Did he not notice the scattered briefcases in the corridor? But Jesse just shrugs him off as someone she likes, even though she says that he is a good candidate for an axe-murderer.
    The deeper you go into the building the weirder things become. And the more I wondered why she was going into that building unarmed and lacking any kind of protection and with a likely chance that both the invaders and security will see her as an unfriendly?
    Jesse's actions get hardly explained. In fact we get hardly explained who Jesse actually is or why we should care for her. There is nothing that springs to mind about her but that she has voices in her head and is looking for her brother. She is almost no personality. Is she worried? Scared? Is she determined? Is she adventurous? Is she a journalist? Is she married? Nothing.

The poor writing starts to show up everywhere. There are for instance the documents that you can collect which are mostly filled with bureaucratic clap trap that is obviously there for laughs. It is a strange dissonance with the overall mood. It is like making slapstick jokes in a serious horror.
    Even worse: things get explained in notes. Like what hiss adversaries are. It is told as a found documentary. Where did this come from? How did they know?
    The adversaries feel like apparitions: they teleport in and after you killed them they fall apart in dust that blows away.
    Then at some point Jesse meets a bureau official who doesn't ask who she is, what she is doing in the building, assumes she is friendly and instantly remembers an event that happened seventeen years ago that Jesse is asking her about without even looking up things.
    It feels like this is some kind of dream or illusion, but it never plays that twist when i finally researched what the plot was. Oh an it all gets explained with referring to Jungian psychology.
    You saw that connection too. Of course you did..

So let me throw in another concept. The story is obviously inspired by the ideas of Tacitus, the foremost chronologist of the history of the first century of the Roman Empire. His central theme: a dominant central power corrupts everything it touches is evident in the game. It leads to chaos, infighting and the defeat of its ultimate goal: stability. It descends into the chaos brought on by internal strife until finally control is established and peace returns. And this is more proof of the game being based on Tacitus' ideas than any of the reviews provide proof for a Jungian inspiration.
    That is control for you: lacking a clear and well written story you can just say anything to make yourself seem smart knowing that few people will correct you out of fear to look dumb.
    Of course you can always say: that because you, Merit, don't understand it, doesn't mean it is poorly written or not Jungian. Providing some proof for you claims would go a long way.

So let's apply Ockham's razor here: there it the possibility that this is a well written story that works in various aspects of Jungian psychology, or it is just a poorly written story that was needed to give the game some background. Seems the latter is the more likely.
  8. Apr 16, 2020
    Definitely overhyped. I don't know why the critics gave very high score. I bought the game expecting very awesome experience, stunning graphic, but it is not the case at all. First, the game drains a lot of your GPU but only has mediocre graphic and poor environment. Nothing looks beautiful here because you are always in the building. The game extremely wants players to use RTX for RayDefinitely overhyped. I don't know why the critics gave very high score. I bought the game expecting very awesome experience, stunning graphic, but it is not the case at all. First, the game drains a lot of your GPU but only has mediocre graphic and poor environment. Nothing looks beautiful here because you are always in the building. The game extremely wants players to use RTX for Ray tracing, It has too much different, like you won't be able to see through mirror without Ray tracing. However, even with tracing, the environment still felt bland and uninteresting. Action is ok for the most part but the worst here is the Story. You don't know what you are doing and where you are going and enemies are just respawned out of nowhere and have boring same looks as well. The building felt like maze, then you are teleported to some another bland demension, once you clear obj then teleported back in the bulid, then after move from room to room, kill some repeptitive enemies, again teleported repeat cycle. Map design is very confused and hard to navigate in menu too.

All in all, I tried to like it, but I couldn't. Playing it for 5 hrs then gave up. I couldn't tolerate myself any further. Don't buy this game, It is not worth it even with the 70% sale !! just don't.
  9. Jun 6, 2020
    Control does 'moody atmosphere' exceptionally well and fails at nearly everything else.

The majority of the game's locations look identical, making navigation confusing and boring. The map menu is nearly useless for aiding navigation. It desperately needs a 3D view for a world with such verticality. Doom (2016) did this perfectly. Enemies are also homogeneous. As you explore and

Enemies are also homogeneous. As you explore and retread the map, you'll waste hours grinding through the same predictably respawning hordes of junk. (Or, like me, you just give up and start running past them. They'll keep returning no matter what you do anyway. Why bother?)

The gameplay loop is aggressively tedious: go here, liberate the control point of samey enemies, and watch a few lines of dialogue. Ad nauseum. There are occasionally puzzles to refreshingly break up the monotony. It isn't nearly enough to offset the overwhelming drudgery.

The boss battles are far too difficult and acutely frustrating. Worse, there are no checkpoints before the fights. Upon death, you get to trudge from your last safe zone to the battle, sit through the same dialogue sequences, and twiddle the same knobs to trigger the fight. Over. And over. And over. This is what ultimately led me to cut my losses and uninstall the game. Control would've scored several points higher if it simply had no boss battles at all.

The graphics (maxed) are surprisingly bad. Textures are often blurry and characters look like mannequins. Despite this, my 2080Ti struggled in various locations. I have little sympathy for games which both look bad *and* perform poorly.

The in-game media is delightfully reminiscent of Alan Wake. You'll find scores of live actor video films, memos, and audio recordings. Unfortunately, most of the reading is light on world building and mostly filled with monster-of-the-week fluff analogous to X-files episodes or SCP stories. Which gets tedious.

Are you seeing the pattern here? The map is tedious, the enemies are tedious, the gameplay loop is tedious, boss fights are tedious, the lore is tedious...The mysterious, eerie world can only hold one's attention for so long when everything else is pure tedium.
  10. BFM
    Apr 5, 2020
    Remedy, the Studio behind the ground breaking Max Payne 2, has forgotten how to make a PC game.
    The bad framerate, the forced motion blur, the lack of MSAA, the bad translation of console controls to keyboard & mouse.

The graphics are horrible, as everything got a grainy, fuzzy, grizzle, that changes with every camera move. I guess this is ok for console players who sit far away from their TV, but on PC, this is just butt ugly.

And the gameplay itself ... is okay.
    The system of having just one weapon and selecting transformations to switch between isn't fun,
    but you spend 90% if the game throwing rocks into enemies anyways.
    The enemies are all pretty boring and generic, and they respawn all the time.

The world itself is a rather boring, sometimes cool building that you never leave.
    It's all very clinical uninspired, but it works.
    The decision to make this game non-linear was the biggest mistake, as the developer jumps on the overrated and over-done metroid-vania bandwagon, to sacrifice good level design for the sake of backtracking.

The bad map system doesn't help.
    Some boss fights are good, but the final part of the game seems like it was developed 1 week before the game was finished.
    (Not that you would care about the unappealing characters in this game anyways, starting with Jesse herself.)

Unless you are a hardcore metrod-vania fan, you will find yourself rooting for the game to finally be over. You just want to be done, so you can uninstall it forever .
    If you are a fan of Max Payne 1 and 2, I am sorry to say that the Remedy that mode those masterpieces is dead now.
  11. Mar 22, 2020
    Typical Remedy rubbish, at this point I still don't know why I continue to support their games. The story is absolute trash, the combat is incredibly frustrating, especially with all the bloody cool downs
    (from weapons to powers), yet enemies seem to be able to spam combat actions repeatedly which often results in a lot, and I mean a lot, of trial and error gameplay.
    The artificial

The artificial difficulty is further inflated by the terribly designed boss fights that are so cheap you will be clawing the walls with no nails left on your fingers the nearer the end you get because there is nothing skillful required here as the game throws hordes and hordes of frustratingly difficult enemies at you all at once which will test the patience of every normal gamer out there who isn't trying to prove he/she is god's glorious gift to gaming. The game simply becomes one of attrition the further into it you get and that is not my idea of fun, at all!

It is also coupled with one of the most infuriating maps I have seen in a long time. So much time is wasted trying to get around its serpentine labyrinthe of a map because you have no objective markers to help you along the way. While I get some may enjoy this, I find it frustrating as I don't play games in one weekend like some people. My gaming window, because I am a working adult , is small. Leave the game unplayed for a few days or weeks and you will be totally lost when it comes to the map and remembering where things are. Not that that should be the biggest of your worries because the game will annoy you so much that you won't want to touch it for weeks. I installed this 7 months ago and I literally play 15 min of it before I can't take anymore of it. Sadly when I start something I have to see it to the end, so at this point it's just that compulsion that is driving me forward not because I am invested in the character, the world or the game at all.

F**k Remedy and f**k this **** game. I am out. No more of your horribly designed crap will clog my systems going forward no matter how good it looks on the outside.

I am giving it a 3 because it looks relatively good on PC and plays very smoothly but that is the only pro.
  12. Apr 17, 2020
    Overrated, Overhyped, Boring, Tedious, Frustrating, Repetitive -> just some words to describe this crap

The first hours of the game are ok-ish, the story starts with lots of mystery, but it gets repetitive very very quickly. The story is interesting, in the beginning at least, but the mystery never unfolds! It gets more and more mysterious, confusing and you'll just lose interest eventually, because it really gets stupid and ridiculous after a while. The writer really tried too hard with it, he just wanted to put more and more mystery into it to make it more interesting, but he pretty much failed to make it so.

The entire game is so **** repetitive. There are different sections and you will unlock them by progressing through the game, BUT they all look the same. The level design is one of the worst things, it super, super repetitive. Also, you will be backtracking ALOT, as if it's not enough that the level design is repetitive, you'll go through the same rooms over and over again.

Next, the navigation: BLEAH, this is really the worst navigation i've seen in any game, like ever. Sometimes, it is so hard to find out through which narrow corridor you have to go to get somewhere, many times you'll teleport right near the objective, but because of a wall or some stupid crap you'll have to go round the entire map to get there. Really, why do they have to do this?!?! Why do they have to make you go round a **** map to get to the objective which is a few meters from you, but cannot get there because of a window, wall or some other stupid **** You'll end up looking on youtube to see where to go and which direction you have to take, but even on youtube, the guys who are recording the walkthrough are searching for the direction, room, the narrow corridor or a **** lift to get to the objective. It's like Remedy deliberately made this game super frustrating to navigate around.

Next, CHEAP DEATHS: yes, the game itself is pretty easy when you're fighting regular enemies, but when you have to fight a boss, it gets reaaaaly frustrating, painfully difficult, and you'll die, ALOT. They are super unpredictable and you'll die in one shot or so. It is just stupid, they tried too hard to make it challenging and as a result, they filled it with super cheap deaths.

The characters, same as with the story, dull and uninteresting, this jesse faden is one of the most uninteresting main characters i've ever seen. The rest of them were so boring that they were super forgettable, i cannot think about any other character in the game, other than that stupid Emily Pope.

I just finished the quest "The Face of the Enemy" but really, i completely stopped caring about it, the game got so boring that i just couldn't bring myself to finish it, i just uninstalled it because it got so boring, tedious and repetitive.

I really wanted to like this game, but i just cannot see why it is so highly rated, it's absolutely NOTHING special, it really doesn't deserve a full price. I think it's pretty clear that Remedy paid to have good reviews for it, otherwise the game would've gotten just 5-6 on average. I wouldn't be surprised if the good user reviews on this platforms are written by Remedy staff.
  13. Sep 28, 2019
    Very disappointing. Awful, poorly voice acted dialogue. Poorly synced facial animations. The combat system is satisfying at first, but becomes repetitive and boring. If you aren’t fighting boring mobs of enemies using the game’s boring combat system, you’re running around trying to find the entrance to an area you haven’t reached yet, which the map does a terrible job of helping you find.Very disappointing. Awful, poorly voice acted dialogue. Poorly synced facial animations. The combat system is satisfying at first, but becomes repetitive and boring. If you aren’t fighting boring mobs of enemies using the game’s boring combat system, you’re running around trying to find the entrance to an area you haven’t reached yet, which the map does a terrible job of helping you find. The music is as cookie-cutter as it gets - the “action” music is all the same, nothing but “intense” drumming - and my god the one metal track written for this game is horrendous (seriously, what were they thinking?). The story is cliched and uninspired, fed to you through mind-numbing expository cut-scenes, audio recordings (which can’t be listened to while running around, for some reason), and WAY too many notes, and the characters are one-dimensional and groan-inducing. The graphics and especially the destructible environment physics are nice, but they serve little more function than to polish a turd. Unbelievably overrated, unfun, waste of time and money that has little to no replay value even if I wanted to continue playing it. Expand
  14. Apr 14, 2020
    A great story and game totally ruined by absurd difficulty spikes and terribly placed save points. Battles can last several minutes and finish with you getting instakilled by a single lucky shot by one Hiss enemy. Most of the time it is not even clear how you die because of the saturated red screen. So sad to see a great concept and world ruined by the "try-hard" crap design. Fail.
  15. Sep 9, 2019
    Control does not come close to living up to the hype. It was supposed to be a mindbending experience in a fascinating setting. Instead, we get a slightly non-linear arcade shooter in a drab brutalist building. The setting is stylistically interesting for the first hour but then it becomes clear that, aside from brief interludes, we are to return to the same stereotypical governmentControl does not come close to living up to the hype. It was supposed to be a mindbending experience in a fascinating setting. Instead, we get a slightly non-linear arcade shooter in a drab brutalist building. The setting is stylistically interesting for the first hour but then it becomes clear that, aside from brief interludes, we are to return to the same stereotypical government building over and over. The map is just awful and should have been three dimensional.

The storytelling is just weird. The "insight" into the protagonist's thoughts is unnecessary and could have been accomplished by more expressive facial animations. The endless notes and memos provide little background and get old quickly. I'm usually all for reading this kind of thing but I have been just skimming them for clues lately. I am yet to come across something that is a clear Alan Wake reference but I played Alan Wake nearly 10 years and many games ago. Who has the time to pay that much attention to boring text notes?

The combat is repetitive and each new iteration of the service weapon or new power adds little to the gameplay. It is launch-headshot-rinse-repeat action at its core. It is similar to the earlier games in the mass effect series combat without improvement. Jesse can't figure out how to crouch behind cover? There are also some rather cheap mechanics that allow the ai to turn the tide of battle and, before you know it, you respawn at one of the sparsely-placed checkpoints and have to run half a mile to get to the action. It is not difficult, it is annoying. The combat is not unenjoyable but I find that I get bored after about an hour of playing.

Now, the elephant in the room: the real-time ray tracing. It's pretty, sure. But, you really have to pause and look for it to notice it; it matters little during combat. I'm yet to play this game on a 4 k display for which I will most likely have to turn RTX off, I suspect that it may look better with a higher resolution and no ray tracing.

I got this game for free with my computer so I guess I cannot complain much. I would have been pissed off had I bought it.
  16. Sep 27, 2019
    Incredibly bland, **** game with piss-poor fps mechanics, an incomprehensible narrative and a nod to something better with limited telekinesis and flying that barely introduces anything different. A step back for the studio. At least stick bullet time in, blimey. I replayed the original Max Payne afterwards as a palette cleanser - so so much better. Colossal disappointment.
  17. Sep 7, 2019
    Sure it has graphics, but if what you make is nothing but a pretty picture than you'd get better off making drawings or paintings or take a digital design course, not making videogames. It's just another bland game that falls in the graphics-but-expect-nothing-more trend. The characters' motivations, personalities and actions are never explained, so I guess you're just supposed to have aSure it has graphics, but if what you make is nothing but a pretty picture than you'd get better off making drawings or paintings or take a digital design course, not making videogames. It's just another bland game that falls in the graphics-but-expect-nothing-more trend. The characters' motivations, personalities and actions are never explained, so I guess you're just supposed to have a wtf face the entire time while trying to make sense of their barely related words within their sentences. That's the story, the gameplay is just repetitive shooting at enemies that either swarm you from a direction or from every direction, so press the "shoot" and occasionally the telekinesis buttons and hope to not randomly get insta killed. Expand
  18. Jan 9, 2020
    Сюжет игры изначально подается откровенно плохо, ты совершенно не понимаешь,что происходит, затем приходит почти полное осознание происходящего, но это вовсе не значит, что ты остаешься этим доволен. Сюжет пытается казаться небанальным, уникальным и "нидлявсех", однако это совершенно не так) Концовка вообще слита в труху. Геймплей по началу кажется неплохим, он в принципе такой и есть,Сюжет игры изначально подается откровенно плохо, ты совершенно не понимаешь,что происходит, затем приходит почти полное осознание происходящего, но это вовсе не значит, что ты остаешься этим доволен. Сюжет пытается казаться небанальным, уникальным и "нидлявсех", однако это совершенно не так) Концовка вообще слита в труху. Геймплей по началу кажется неплохим, он в принципе такой и есть, однако приедается уже к середине игры, ты пользуешься максимум 2 приемами, стрельба всратая, под конец старался не стрелять по возможности, а просто метать объекты во врагов. Противники ведут себя странно, то стоят как вкопанные и даже не стреляют, то стремительно тебя рашат, причем это вообще не имеет никакой логики. Видов врагов всего где-то 5-6, по ощущениям 2-3 ( Джаггернаут, летающие челы, и дефолтные нелетающие челы). Игра очень монотонна, одинаковое окружение, одинаковые действия ( приходишь куда-либо, убиваешь толпу врагов,ищешь бессмысленные, ни капли не раскрывающие лор записки, смотришь катсцену/ведешь диалог с персонажем). Прокачка персонажа убога, просто повышение стат, диалоги убоги и непонятны, состоят в основном из обсуждения псевдонаучных терминов и явлений, в которые невозможно поверить, оружия мало, хоть и дизайн великолепный, персонажи максимально неинтересные, к ним не привязываешься ни капли, музыкальное сопровождение битв раздражает, помимо битв его будто бы вообще нет, единственный момент, когда музыка в игре хорошая - это миссия с лабиринтом, длительностью 2-3 минуты, дополнительные квесты крайне примитивны( сходи убей), за исключением нескольких квестов в конце которых нужно победить босса, кстати о боссах, в основной сюжетке их нет совсем,только в доп миссиях. Плюсы у игры, конечно же, тоже имеются, это прекрасная графика, детализация предметов выполнена отлично, с RTX картинка становится просто конфеткой, некоторые локации, в частности лабиринт и отель, выполнены выше всяких похвал, гг не бесит, порой даже вызывает симпатию, дизайн пушек действительно уникальный и выглядит классно, физика окружения, разрушаемость, отменная, такой интерактивности, как здесь, пожалуй, ни в одной другой игре нет, также разрабы почти сумели создать крайне интригующего персонажа, а именно уборщика, но почему-то не сумели хоть как-то его раскрыть. В целом у игры больше минусов, чем плюсов, сюжет уныл, геймплей надоест очень сильно к концу, враги говно, боссов нет, интересных персонажей ровно 2( гг и уборщик), и то их не раскрыли, пушек мало, прокачка и квесты примитивны,локации cntrl c + cntrl v, музыка ни о чем, зато у нас графика хорошая и разрушаемость, не рекомендую крч. Expand
  19. Aug 18, 2020
    Horrible boring badly optimized game that they charger customer again for it to run ok on next gen, The actual game is massively overrated and only Games Journalist liked it because it had a female protagonist and derpy men in the game.
    Its utterly boring, most of the game is runing around ugly arse environment, lost because there is no capable map. Combat is fun for about 1 hr but you so OP that the only way they could add difficulty is with ranged one hit kills from invisible enemies. I really hated this game and Hate what remedy has become.
  20. Aug 25, 2020
    I deleted this game after playing an hour. Just went to watch ending on video channels and I see I got the right decision. It's an ultra boring class game.
  21. Jan 24, 2020
    This game needs more negative reviews.

This game needs more negative reviews.

At first it looks and it's hyped to have great visuals. This couldn't be further from the truth since even on "ultra textures" the game assets look positively awful. Textures are very low res, grainy, smudgy, artifacty...you get the point for a game offering supposedly next gen visuals. It seems to me to simply be a ray tracing demo, with oodles of shiny reflective surfaces, way too many in fact making it gaudy.

Usually game reviews always have someone claiming their [insert ultra high end GPU] is stuttering and I've found this to be false in 99.9% of cases. Not here, it's the 0.1% that actually has stuttering even with a RTX 2080 Ti which is just inexcusable.

The story and game play...well what is there to write, they're downright boring with heaps of grinding and poor AI and the same monsters over and over and the overpowered yet uninspiring bosses just like every other review said. It really screams at you that this game was made with the only purpose of showcasing ray tracing and that's it.
  22. Nov 18, 2020
    Never before has such lazy writing been delivered in the form of such mediocre voice acting. It's hard to imagine that there was ever a second attempt at a single line of dialogue. It feels like a high school theater production, but with even more self-involved performers.
  23. Sep 3, 2019
    Control is 12-hours game for kids with great visual. On start of game you will become the new FBI director, by entering into pure artistic oldest building. In the sixties you looking for your supernatural brother Dylan (he is like others currently in a coma). So Jesse trying fight back against evil entity the Hiss. Game story and progress is really bad (not even extrovert developers knowControl is 12-hours game for kids with great visual. On start of game you will become the new FBI director, by entering into pure artistic oldest building. In the sixties you looking for your supernatural brother Dylan (he is like others currently in a coma). So Jesse trying fight back against evil entity the Hiss. Game story and progress is really bad (not even extrovert developers know mystery). They trying make some crazy superhero RPG shooter.

POSITIVES: Detailed graphics; Destruction physics;

NEGATIVES: Level design is based on unrealistic biggest rooms (there are un-functional map for navigation). Most sad thing is gameplay. Spawning enemies are stupid so they have millions health points. Level checkpoints are placed inconsistent. Game design is pure trash. They spend funds only on graphics and marketing. By deleting hundreds of lowest meta-critic user reviews, they make fake score 5 -> 7.1 (most 9 or 10 have only 1 review).
  24. Oct 23, 2019
    Strange game ... The principal character is ... not interesting, the gameplay is boring with "deja-vu" GO/BACK system, collect information to enlarge the story was good in 2000, the gameplay is repetitive as hell and the places crossed are all the same.

The only thing that deserve to be observed is the progress on how the light is rendered. But be carefull, nothing exceptionnal. I've

I've read a tons of "compliments" on this curious product. Don't believe the hype.

It's just a bad game.
  25. Nov 3, 2019
    Remedy, что с вами ?
    После просто великолепного Alan Wake вы выпустили сначала какой-то дешёвый подростковый сериал с элементами научной фантастики. Это я ещё стерпел и кое-как осилил.
    Remedy, что с вами ?
    Но теперь вы предлагаете 10 часов бегать по одинаковым офисам и швыряться стульями, приправляя это всё откровенным ничего не объясняющим бредом ? Зачем объяснять всю ту чушь, что уже вывалили на игрока - лучше навалим ему ещё. А разнообразие геймплея тоже ни к чему. Вот тебе один ствол, вот телекинез. Пройди тысячу одинаковых комнат, а за это тебе будет ещё больше бреда. Нет уж, спасибо. Снёс, пройдя около 80 %.
    Недостойно покупки.
  26. Sep 12, 2019
    so stupid Worldview and story.
    remedy did it dumbs again
    first, why this game Heroine So Ugly? she's face modeling likes a Long sausage
    and if you Like Darksouls maze map, just pass this game
    this game has Stupidly complicated map
    one good thing was nice shooting taste and bad things was Everything except that
  27. Sep 21, 2019
    This game is a beautiful, excellently optimized and masterfully crafted tech demo. It spend so much time in pre-production that Remedy actually forgot to include any gameplay. The gunfight is boring and undeveloped, the combat mechanic would need at least a year of polishing, the enemies are all the same and the boss fights were probably never even playtested.
    Control is basically a
    Control is basically a Quantum Break without the guns with all the issues cranked up to 11.

(Everybody who played the game also know that bosses routinely one-shot you and there are no checkpoints so you have to grind your way through the game)

I would probably forgive game having no gameplay, but the worst part is that Remedy took SCP universe and turned it to the most boring, most unimaginative and most generic concept that you could only imagine and this I cant tolerate at all.
  28. Aug 30, 2019
    If you want to know how bad of a year this has been for games, especially on PC, just consider that this is ranked as the #13 Best PC Game of 2019. Once again a game that spent more on advertising than it did on actually making a good game. It feels like a console game ported to the PC, and not a good port. I'm sure they'll push out another few sequels just to cash in on the marketingIf you want to know how bad of a year this has been for games, especially on PC, just consider that this is ranked as the #13 Best PC Game of 2019. Once again a game that spent more on advertising than it did on actually making a good game. It feels like a console game ported to the PC, and not a good port. I'm sure they'll push out another few sequels just to cash in on the marketing money they already spent. Don't believe the critics, they are paid shills for the publishers. Hopefully 2020 turns out a better year for gaming. Expand
  29. Oct 20, 2019
    Horrible combat and very hard enemies. Boring and strange story. Awful shooting and checkpoint system.
  30. Aug 28, 2019
    Control (tested on PC - EpicGame Store)
    I7 - 6700K - 32Gram - GTX1080 - SSD (1920x1080 -- 240fps full ultra / No RTX)
    First, i would like to clarifie that i'm not involved or interested in the launcher war Steam vs EG vs ... but, EpicGame has really a bad customer service. The realease date for many game are wrong (exemple : Control Release at 27 August, on the player library it says
    Control (tested on PC - EpicGame Store)
    I7 - 6700K - 32Gram - GTX1080 - SSD (1920x1080 -- 240fps full ultra / No RTX)

but, EpicGame has really a bad customer service. The realease date for many game are wrong (exemple : Control Release at 27 August, on the player library it says available the 28 ...)
    Next, the game release at 12:00 CET, and at 16:00 CET ... the game is set to Unavailable on the library.

The game itsefl is not a bad game, but, after enjoying playing the photorealistic and theater-narrativ like Quantumbreak ... This game look like so far away from the last RemedySoft.
    I think playing this one on PS4 or XBox would be a better experience, but the Pc Gameplay is just so bad ... character movement are just random, absolutelly not immersiv or realistic, gunfights for a TPS aren't smart at all, the IA are just overdate ... spawn just run to you firing around like zombiegunner.

Ok i don't go really far in the game, so my opinion isn't really objectiv but ...
    FPS drop, floating movement, doors opening alone, no animation, lips sync absolutelly awfull !!!!! Guns aiming/fight not really smart, main character not so attractiv at all -> speaking about the narration or the narrativ reaction from Jess .... Maybe latter in the game many things would be better or the scenaristic sequence would explain why the character look like drugued when she speak about something ...
    But after 2Hours playing, i feel really frustrated. 60euros for this one is just abusiv.
  31. Sep 1, 2019
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. не знаю как остальным - а мне понравился только сюжет . Графика замыленная 10-летней давности (хотя компьютер у меня вроде не слабый - Интел 8 ядер , НВИДИА 8гб РАМ 32 ГБ)(может на DX11 норм?-я не знаю - не привык на минималках играть). Карта - по которой не понятно как добираться ( пример на карте комната а перед тобой стена и так далее ) Предметы которые не успевают прогрузиться .Геймплэй так себе скучный . Тем кто пишет про какую-то фантастическую графику хочется спросить : Ребята вам что заплатили ? I don’t know how the rest - but I liked only the plot. The graphics are blurred 10 years ago (although my computer seems to be not weak - Intel 8 cores, NVIDIA 8GB RAM 32GB) (maybe the DX11 is normal? - I don’t know - I'm not used to playing on minimums). Map - on which it is not clear how to get there (an example on the map is a room and there is a wall in front of you and so on) Items that do not have time to load. The gameplay is so boring. Those who write about some fantastic graphics would like to ask: Did you guys get paid? Expand
  32. Aug 27, 2019
    Aburrido y repetitivo hasta la saciedad, con mecanicas de juego del siglo pasado.

Con lo bien que lo hicieron en max payne, no entiendo esta chapuza.
  33. Dec 14, 2019
    I loved Quantum Break for its story, so I thought I should try Control - big mistake. After 147 minutes I arrived at the first boss fight which not just isn't fun, it is an awful experience. The boss does massive damage and needs 3 hits to kill you. Try to kill soldiers to get health? Get at least one hit. Run around and get stuck on some object laying around, get hit twice. Run to cover,I loved Quantum Break for its story, so I thought I should try Control - big mistake. After 147 minutes I arrived at the first boss fight which not just isn't fun, it is an awful experience. The boss does massive damage and needs 3 hits to kill you. Try to kill soldiers to get health? Get at least one hit. Run around and get stuck on some object laying around, get hit twice. Run to cover, discover there's a soldier in the way, get hit again. There is no way to change the difficulty, fps drops make aiming a difficult and the sluggish movement of the player character makes it easy to get stuck at corners of objects. The story starts off intriguing, but the frustrating gameplay ruins it. Would refund it if I could. Expand
  34. Nov 8, 2019
    This game has absolutely FRUSTRATING difficulty !
    Yes, it does have a great story that only Remedy can knit.
    But you will keep dying to hordes of enemies and bosses that just one-shot you until you quite likely just give up. A lot of boss fights you will just have to repeat 40 times, waiting for one iteration where you finaly survive out of pure luck. On top of that whole RPG system
    This game has absolutely FRUSTRATING difficulty !
    Yes, it does have a great story that only Remedy can knit.

On top of that whole RPG system is pure RNG.
    Upgrades drops - pure RNG.
    Upgrades crafting - pure RNG, aka huge waste of resources and time.

Oh, and each time you die 25% of your hard earned resources vanish. And you will be dying a lot. Just great.
  35. Dec 20, 2019
    Mechanics are good but the game itself is horribly done. They tried to copy from other games and totally failed to do anything good with the things they stole. The story is horrendous and doesnt make any sense. Every character you speak to is a woman and the couple male characters are shown as stupid, childish, annoying etc. Looks like the game was written by a bunch of man haters. NoMechanics are good but the game itself is horribly done. They tried to copy from other games and totally failed to do anything good with the things they stole. The story is horrendous and doesnt make any sense. Every character you speak to is a woman and the couple male characters are shown as stupid, childish, annoying etc. Looks like the game was written by a bunch of man haters. No wonder the story is scatterbrained and senseless. Avoid this game. Expand
  36. Sep 1, 2019
    Boring and self repeating game. Also very short game vs. Big price. Remedy is making same kind of games year after year, nothing new.
  37. Feb 21, 2020
    Doesn't launch all the time, and its slow even on my 2080. Developer slow to patch bugs.
  38. Dec 26, 2020
    muito ruim o gráfico foi feito de maneira preguiçosa e precisou do Ray tracing pra ficar bonito ate jogos da geração passada tinham uma iluminação melhor do que a do control sem RTX Historia chata e protagonista desinteressante só piora tudo não vale o preço de 100 reai
  39. Aug 29, 2019
    When I saw main character for the first time: "what the f***n trap on the screen?" - was my impression.
    The whole game is boring and not interesting.
  40. Jun 5, 2020
    Confused and bored me. Throwing ominous stuff in my face isn't entertaining.
  41. Dec 26, 2019
    Well... It's pretty, but that's about it. It is also boring. So, I'll model this review after the game itself.

Would be great on a Steam sale for about $9.99, but $60 USD for this? Uhhh no.

Epic only does nothing to make this game better.
  42. Aug 29, 2019
    Скучная, помойка, играть возможно - максимум 20 минут, потом игра просто надоедает.
  43. Mar 13, 2021
    Boring.
    There is no idea in it.
    The gameplay is max payne 5.0 (max payne 2-mp1 2.0, alan wake -mp1 3.0, quantum break-mp1 4.0. The animation system is awful (you run into something and run in a place, as you slide walking, not to mention jumping). The sounds of the usual quantum breakes a rumble whisper. The music is detto Typical remedy games copy-paste waste. Gfx 7 Sound 6
    Boring.
    There is no idea in it.
    The sounds of the usual quantum breakes a rumble whisper.
    The music is detto
    Typical remedy games copy-paste waste.

Gfx 7
    Sound 6
    Gamplay 1
    Idea 0
    All 1/10
  44. Sep 20, 2020
    The game is pretty. The RTX can give some nice reflections until the game crashes systematically (for me a boss fight) and you have to switch to DX11.
    The music are very very nice too. I'd love to hear the Bowie-like one that was played in one of the very few great moments of the game.

Because of these good points, I've rated this a 4. What follows is why I don't want to give more that that.

The story started well. It's weird, twilight zone style, but when I've reached the end it felt unfinished: like peeling a fruit and finding out it was all peel.

What I really didn't like though was basically everything else:

Whoever thought it was a good idea to lose 10% of your "money" for each death should be flogged.

The fights are boring. They are mostly too easy, but sometimes stupidly difficult.

An example would be hiding some key points in a (boss) fight in areas way too dark to see where you are killed in one shot.

Another example would be expecting you to find some items you don't know you need, hidden behind some panels you don't know exist in some dark area while an invulnerable monster teleports to you to one-shot you.

Yet another example would be to swarm you of monsters where you have no chance of survival if you don't know what spot will keep you "safe".

How about letting you go in an area where you have no chance to progress? (Giving you a mission for it and closing the door behind you at some point.)
    Of course you don't know this and reaching some obstacle you hope some tricky jump-dodge will get you through. All you get for your trouble is getting killed until you give up.

The controls do not feel right either.
    The ways you use some powers are unintuitive. Every time I've started the game I had to take two minutes to adjust to it.

Speaking of the controls: you often need to "grab" an object.
    One would expect the one at the middle of the screen to be the target instead of some random garbage located out of your field of vision when it's not right behind you. Yet another crap that can make you killed.

Avoid.
  45. Jan 4, 2020
    Art direction might be only score I give to this game. Remedy Entertainment tried really hard to bring back some max Payne 1 style of battle system and that atmosphere but poorly pulled it on their new game Control.

_repetitive battle system - Boring and slow storyline - Bad acting for main actress, Courtney hope. While I love many games with female protagonist but her acting was

_repetitive battle system
    - Boring and slow storyline
    - Bad acting for main actress, Courtney hope. While I love many games with female protagonist but her acting was poorly pulled that i couldn't make any empathy to her character, Jesse. ( i have no idea why she nominated for best performance )

In good side of the game, I can only point on Art Direction, Graphic, and maybe music. But seriously Also Poet of Falls couldn't repeat their "One late Goodbye" Song that we all have memory with in Max Payne. Their songs in Control game might be interesting but not as much as Max Payne.
    For me, Control is a fail game with annoying characters, except Emily Pope that she was interesting. and slow built story that is sort of confusing but also boring.
  46. Nov 3, 2020
    An extremely convoluted story presented slowly paced but very beautiful for the eyes. Repetitive, and frankly, fairly poor game mechanics.
  47. Nov 5, 2019
    I'll set 4/10 because of Remedy and Sam Lake. This game should have 1/10.
    Awful face animation (do you remember Andromeda? ), boring characters, quests, and looks like Remedy was bitten by SJW.
  48. Feb 18, 2020
    Flashy combat.. cant see much there. While i do enjoy good effects and this game has plenty - i wish i could see past them, not struggle to aim. Destructive surroundings are good though (reminds me of F.E.A.R). Start of the game is promising, you are skillfully introduced to the basics but from there, it kinda goes downhill. The idea of a building where it all happens is appealing to me.Flashy combat.. cant see much there. While i do enjoy good effects and this game has plenty - i wish i could see past them, not struggle to aim. Destructive surroundings are good though (reminds me of F.E.A.R). Start of the game is promising, you are skillfully introduced to the basics but from there, it kinda goes downhill. The idea of a building where it all happens is appealing to me. This game could be alot more.. i can already see the vision of it and so do you (when you finish it i assure you).. I dont want to spoil much lets just say i expected more from Remedy. While i did play the whole game i wasnt involved in the journey that much. Remedy showed their talent in the past sadly this time, i was dissapointed. Not sure where to start. The game quickly became repetitive and boring. Weapons are boring , i prefer more realistic approach like in the past. Expeditions are just hilarious, randomization/timer ruins the experience (feels like a speedrunner was testing those) especially since weapons and abilities are weak .. enemies become bullet sponges. I can see fun in that but for me, it was quite a frustrating experience. Maybe difficulty levels wouldnt harm this game. Dont expect alot of colors.. prepare for white or red light in your face.. watch your eyes with this one.I dont recommend playing it on big TV.. Lack of variety overall - similiar rooms and weapons, same upgrades and enemies most of the time and because of that, gameplay suffers. Tempo could save that aspect of the game but it's not done well. Freedom feels confusing in a maze. Somewhat confusing "puzzle" sections as well. Story is confusing..which some may like but i didnt, characters are just non believable so i didn't really care.. . Rtx is not optimized. I think the worst thing about Control is that it feels quite rushed. I think quantum break is much better game than this one.. Remedy, Alan Wake (or something like Max Payne.. where you nailed the atmosphere, tempo and gameplay) would be much better choice..for your next title.. show these nextgen gamers how it's done.. Sound is good, there are some great moments while playing nevertheless. Some people may like Control and i understand. It feels like a combination of all of your previous titles and experience but its like you werent given enough time to polish it properly. To sum it up, I am too spoiled by Max Payne and Alan Wake to give this a good score. Or maybe we as a whole should lower our standards (of expectations, ability,..)? Make a mix of max payne 1 and die hard 1.. action packed skyscaper with weird **** going on, visible exterior, changing weather, nightday cycle, realistic weapons, encounters from bottom to top, sharper graphics with less bloom, a few crazy moments and bring back comic book style narrative.
    3.4
  49. May 23, 2020
    Very disappointing. Extremely repetitive and boring.
    RTX effects quickly becomes meaningless in a bland environment which is same everywhere.
    Firing at very similar soulless enemies all the time using the same gun.
    Same environment everywhere, same enemies, same gun, meaningless story.
  50. May 30, 2020
    Absolutely dreadful. The only redeeming quality of the game is it's visual side - It looks stunning.
    Everything else... Jesus, where do I start?
    Everything else... Jesus, where do I start?

The combat is pretty basic, but enjoyable. Marred by gamey upgrade and crafting management ala Nier: Automata's. Out of the 4 or 5 weapon modes, you can only carry 2 at one time, which seems like a missed opportunity since they can be highly situational.
    Then you have the quest design - There's a plethora of bounties and timed alerts that boil down to "Shoot X dudes in area Y" and they give you more generic gear upgrades, woo.

Then there's the respawn mechanic which places you at a checkpoint, having to replay entire sequences before restarting fights and you loose an arbitrary 10% of not-money like in Borderlands. There's even an arena side quest that requires tokens which need to be bought with said not-money or dropped from enemies or bounties, ugh.

And finally, the worst aspect - The writing. It's clear that the lead writer LOVED the SCP Foundation but wasn't able to replicate the atmosphere. The amount of bloat with pointless documents and videos is unbelievable. Only a handful of them land the mark, while the rest are just a chore to read/watch. The game just takes itself too damned seriously.
    The characters are walking info dumps, with the shining exception of the cryptid Finnish janitor who probably secretly runs the place.

And then there's the ending. You go through yet another enemy arena, your character loses her marbles and then the game makes you go through a tedious section where she thinks she's back to her dead-end office job and the game, I **** you not, has you running around and pressing the use key a hundred times or more on various objects. Followed by more exposition, a ****ty platforming section and another enemy arena.
    After that, the game ends abruptly.

I cannot comprehend where the praise for this game comes from. Seems like everyone who loved this game just shrugs off any complaints by saying that you're "too stupid to fully understand the story" or that you didn't read all the filler documents to "fully understand what's going on". Like, no, I'd rather drill a hole in my skull than read any more of that drivel.
  51. Aug 18, 2020
    I love sci-fi to begin with. And the game have some really nice graphics and physics. But that´s about it. You have no ideia whats the story, what´s going on and what happens at the end. Sad.
  52. Jun 17, 2021
    This game is bad, very bad. The only good thing is graphics, all other elements are terrible:
    -Story is terrible
    -gunfights are chaotic and not interesting
    -character is totally flat and not existent
    -setting does not make any sense and it doesn't even look cool
    -most of the time you don't know where to go
    -anything you can think of that it's not graphic is bad
  53. Jul 12, 2021
    Great story but awful storytelling, you have to constantly pause to read all the random stuff you pick up, sometimes great, but a lot of times pointless bureaucratic garbage that gets annoying very fast. You can't even hear the audio recordings while playing. This is a game from 2019, Remedy.

Full of 2 hit death attacks, no one is suspicious that a lot of times you get hit for 99% of your health? Even maxing health only partially avoids this. The bosses are the worst offenders, full of bodyguard fodder. When the hardest part of a boss fight is not the boss itself...

Horrible sound design, no enemy footsteps and crappy positioning audio means that you can't use your ears in a fight, if you hear a loud scream you better smash your evade button because you don't know from where its coming. At least in Alan Wake you can see your flanks with a wider third person view.

And the cherry on top is the awful and uninspired crafting system. I say it again Remedy, this is a game from 2019.
  54. Apr 25, 2021
    High level production resulting in a vaguely interesting combat system... and a story and ambience that tries very much to be something, but is really just a generic shooter with a poor plot trying to justify whatever.
    I'm not even sure there was a good idea there at some stage.
  55. May 21, 2021
    Cool concepts and good written story. I like main hero, but it is not clear why she talks to herself so much.
  56. Jun 18, 2021
    Possible epileptic seizures warning is here in place. This game is 90 percent based on 2013 vintage Remember Me engine (also stuffed in DmC for ex.) So what are you 10 stars raters trying to tell me? This game engine is old, some pityful RTX tricks (where you can see product of this old engine mirrored on the floor, for gods sake, what an innovation) wont make it any better. FlashyPossible epileptic seizures warning is here in place. This game is 90 percent based on 2013 vintage Remember Me engine (also stuffed in DmC for ex.) So what are you 10 stars raters trying to tell me? This game engine is old, some pityful RTX tricks (where you can see product of this old engine mirrored on the floor, for gods sake, what an innovation) wont make it any better. Flashy nonsense and storyline trying to make you feel like you are digging into something that requires intelligence that you always secretly thought you have (but why others didnt?) its pathetic. There are hundreds of game with below 5 rating and some of them more than 10 yrs old that are better than this. Expand
  57. Feb 8, 2021
    Repetitive gameplay, awful story, awful dialogue, buggy, pretty graphics, lots of running in an "open-world"(You know the types of games that are story-driven and linear but have a large open world with absolutely nothing in it, and its a chore to run to one end and the other, this is one of them). The game doesn't tell you what's going on and expects you to care about what's happening,Repetitive gameplay, awful story, awful dialogue, buggy, pretty graphics, lots of running in an "open-world"(You know the types of games that are story-driven and linear but have a large open world with absolutely nothing in it, and its a chore to run to one end and the other, this is one of them). The game doesn't tell you what's going on and expects you to care about what's happening, for hours. If I had less of a brain and could just state at a screen without asking "Why am I here?" while my spit drips into my slobber pan in my lap then I could see how "interesting" the story is. Maybe I should huff paint before playing all video games. Expand
  58. Apr 15, 2021
    It was a bold decision to give the main character no personality and a haircut indicating she would like to speak to the manager. Perhaps in some future DLC, the protagonist will make a decision not motivated exclusively by the men in her life. Perhaps we'll even see a bit of character development. Hopefully not too much, though. It's unclear if 505 Games is just incapable of creating aIt was a bold decision to give the main character no personality and a haircut indicating she would like to speak to the manager. Perhaps in some future DLC, the protagonist will make a decision not motivated exclusively by the men in her life. Perhaps we'll even see a bit of character development. Hopefully not too much, though. It's unclear if 505 Games is just incapable of creating a single interesting, believable, or remotely human character, or if the studio is just plain old sexist, giving their female protagonist no interiority or development and relegating her to the role of a cold exposition machine who exists to serve other characters. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 33 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 28, 2020
    An audio-visual action banquet that will entertain you with physics and flirting with the supernatural. The story could have been better, the enemy line-up can be quite monotonous towards the end, but the great atmosphere overcomes these shortcomings. And most importantly, the gameplay is great. [Issue#298]
  2. Oct 22, 2019
    Control feels like Remedy firing on all cylinders, resulting in a smart and sensational action-adventure.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Oct 11, 2019
    Control takes a while to get in gear, but overall it’s one of the most memorable experiences of the year. [Issue#240, p.36]