5.9

1. Feb 27, 2020
    A huge step backwards.

I'm curious how this game came to be, considering the silence from the devs, and it being announced entirely less than a month before release. In a lot of ways I hope they actually made this before Mutant, and are just cashing in on some Epic exclusivity to fund their next real project. In nearly every aspect, the game is inferior to Mutant. There's no
    A huge step backwards.

In nearly every aspect, the game is inferior to Mutant. There's no leveling, no gear or weapon customization, and only a barebones story to speak of. It only take three of the incredibly generic missions before locations start repeating, and it never stops. There's no point to exploring the maps anymore, since there's no loot to be had, or encounters to stomp once you've got some new skills or gear. I honestly was holding out hope there would be some kind of twist to the game, and that's why Bearded Ladies had been so quiet, but there was nothing of the sort.

Gone are the unique characters and personalities of Mutant, replaced by thoroughly generic squaddies almost indistinguishable from the enemy units. A tactical game like this either needs custom characters, or unique personalities to get attached to. Corruption has neither, beyond the throwaway conceit that you can change the characters' names.

While I'm still interested to see what comes next from Bearded Ladies after what a knockout Mutant was, this has certainly tampered my expectations in a big way. Needless to say, don't bother with this unless you're truly desperate for some more turn-based tactics, otherwise, just play Mutant Year Zero instead.
  2. Mar 7, 2020
    If you haven't played Mutant Year Zero, play that one instead. If you have played MYZ and you're looking for more of the same, I'd recommend replaying it instead. 2029 has the same engine and same gameplay, yet fails to live up to the standards of MYZ because...

- The story is so generic you won't even remember the two factions - Playable characters are interchangeable grunts that

- The story is so generic you won't even remember the two factions
    - Playable characters are interchangeable grunts that don't have a single line of dialogue
    - You'll re-visit the same half dozen maps over and over

Worst of all, 2029 adds gameplay and quality of life issues that didn't exist in MYZ:

- You have fewer stealth skill and weapon options, so most of the game you *have* to use a loud weapon for stealth kills, yet there's no noise level indicator making stealth kills more trial-and-error than tactical
    - If you initiate an ambush, but *don't* attack and exit combat, the game *still* forces you out of stealth and blows your cover
    - Your elite company has NO QUARTERMASTER, you can only use what you find and you have limited carrying capacity, meaning MORE visits to the same maps
    - The one "feature" they added to improve QOL is to auto-end missions when the main objective is complete, meaning you can't loot supplies after the last battle, and when you fast-travel back the enemies have respawned
  3. Feb 21, 2020
    Loved Mutant Year Zero... this one... nos so much. Even though I liked the futuristic military vibe, i did not like how the campaign was made, and that is why I barely like the game.
  4. Oct 13, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Even though I love these kind of games and I loved Mutant Year Zero I have to give this a 6 because:
    The good:
    -Strategy like mutant year zero and we need more of these type of games
    -Graphs are okay
    -Music is good
    The bad:
    -No much reason to look every part of the map and kill every enemy like on MYZ because you don't level up and there is no currency to buy stuff in game, the only itens you get on each map are shown, so if you found what you were looking for there is no reason to search the map anymore
    -A lot less maps than MYZ, you do a lot of quests on the same map, so if you already got the items on said map, you just do the mission and move on ignoring all the enemies since items are scarce and you can't buy new items...
    -The game is way too short.
    -Less skills than MYZ so there is not much to experiment once you got what you want and there are less variations on the skills and few slots to boot.
    -Less characters than MYZ, only 3 and they are the same, the difference are the skills and items.
    -Also there are less items than MYZ, I will give you the total numbers for you guys to see how little variation there is on this game: 3 pistols, only 3 and they are the same, 1 silent pistol , 2 TOTAL machine guns, the same type but only 2 the entire game, exactly ONE shotgun, One minigun, 1 flamethrower, 1 sniper and one silent rifle, that's it, the entire game you play with the same guns from the start.... you can't upgrade the weapons, you don't even have armor nor accesories.... It is quite the downgrade from MYZ...
  5. Feb 22, 2020
    I love MYZ so much, but THIS..
    Pluses: Great tactics, design, graphics, sounds and music
    Minuses: Zero diversity. You always return to previous locations (5-8 times), completing the same missions (kill all, save the agent, etc). Shame on you devs. Shame.
  6. Feb 17, 2020
    If you enjoyed Mutant Year Zero, then this is the game for you. It takes all of the ideas of the previous tactical/stealth game and greatly ups the ante. More choices, more freedom (this time you can go loud or quiet).

Good to see smaller games companies using Epic to support projects that otherwise might have not got off the ground (I personally have no problem using Steam, Origin, GOG and EPIC). Choice is a enabler not a hindrance - it's not like we have to pay a subscription service to any of these!
  7. Feb 18, 2020
    It could be a good game on its own (7-8/10), but only if it is the first game of this developer that you ever played.
    But if you've already player Mutant Year Zero - you already have played this game also:
    -same engine that does not have much noticeable improvements -same game-play mechanics and the same meta-tactics -oversimplified plot -same bugs and same problems with game-play
    -same engine that does not have much noticeable improvements
    -same game-play mechanics and the same meta-tactics
    -oversimplified plot
    -same bugs and same problems with game-play mechanics
    -same low-quality UI
    -same team comp
    This game is just a reskin of Mutant Year Zero and does not bring much to the table on its own. Instead of fixing issues with MYZ and improving engine and game-play developers just took a lazy approach by cloning their own game with different textures....
  8. Feb 18, 2020
    This is not the best game ever but i like it. It is one of the x-com-like games but in more real universe (not 100% realistic - only more real). It still has some bugs (but they can by features - depends on look).
  9. Feb 18, 2020
    The game is great. It's basically a remake of Mutant year Zero with a Sci-fi military vibe. I actually prefer it, very nice graphics, sound and stunning gameplay. I hope this game does well and gets some expansions and I don't think I'm a third of the way through yet. Oh yeah and it runs like butter, much better than mutant year zero.
  10. Feb 17, 2020
    10/10 beacuse they sell it on Epic Store and people get pissed off by that. Babies.
    Awesome game.
  11. Feb 18, 2020
    Чудова гра. Цікаве управління та бойова механіка. Перша гра яка варта уваги після XCOM 2(якщо Вас цікавить такий жанр). Гра дійсно затягує і варта уваги. Варто працювати в цьому напрямку. Графіка теж на високому рівні. Можливо ще є деякі питання по оптимізації, але думаю це питання можна буде допрацювати. Вдячний за новий досвід і відчуття! :)Чудова гра. Цікаве управління та бойова механіка. Перша гра яка варта уваги після XCOM 2(якщо Вас цікавить такий жанр). Гра дійсно затягує і варта уваги. Варто працювати в цьому напрямку. Графіка теж на високому рівні. Можливо ще є деякі питання по оптимізації, але думаю це питання можна буде допрацювати. Вдячний за новий досвід і відчуття! :)
  12. Feb 19, 2020
    I am a great fan of XCOM, and I was not disappointed by this game. Of course it is less deep than XCOM but it add an infiltration system that brings you more possibilities to reach your goal.
    Great game.
  13. Feb 20, 2020
    Pretty fun turn-based tactical stealth sandbox game from the same crew who made Mutant Year Zero: Road To Eden. Definitely feels like it's straining against its budget restrictions, but combat is fun, and the graphics are gorgeous.
  14. Feb 25, 2020
    It's not an easy but interesting game. A worthy continuation of the mutant year zero.
  15. Mar 27, 2020
    This was such a disappointment.
    Mutant Year Zero was a great game, with a good story, memorable characters and an unique setting.
    But Corruption 2029 is the opposite. No characters, a lame story and a generic futuristic setting. Game-play is very similar to MYZ, but they managed to make it worst by not having enough silenced weapons. Since this game is so much focused in stealth, this
    This was such a disappointment.
    Game-play is very similar to MYZ, but they managed to make it worst by not having enough silenced weapons. Since this game is so much focused in stealth, this is practically a game breaker.
  16. Dec 1, 2020
    After Mutant Year Zero this is such a disappointment! For me MYT was almost a perfect game. Seed of evil was less good. And this is just lazy...
    In comparison to MYT:
    - skills and XP system gone - weapon upgrades gone - weapon modding gone - Armor and helmets gone (and no visual soldier customization) - buying gear gone - artifacts gone - the very good dialogues between your
    In comparison to MYT:

- skills and XP system gone
    - weapon upgrades gone
    - weapon modding gone
    - Armor and helmets gone (and no visual soldier customization)
    - buying gear gone
    - artifacts gone
    - the very good dialogues between your soldiers gone (now they are mute)
    - story... yeah... well... if you want to call it that...
    - interesting maps with variety gone, but a lot of map recycling . really a lot! (gets very repetitive and boring quickly)
    - loot on the maps almost gone (just medkits and grenades which don´t respawn, but enemies do)

To be fair, yes, you find upgrades for your soldiers that replace armor, helmets, weapon mods, skills, well... basically everything, but you just can equip three of them.

I think this was just a cash grab. While the game mechanics remain good, it feels soulless and lazy.

If you haven´t played Mutant year zero, play it instead of this....
  17. Feb 24, 2020
    very good tactical game in real time, very similar has mutant year zero but in a more realistic universe
  18. Feb 24, 2020
    Overall this is a fun indie cyberpunk tactical shooter at a fair price. The positive aspects of the game are the solid turn-based combat system, acceptable graphics, and the interesting cyberpunk civil war America setting. The flaws of the game are the lack of story and variety, need for constant save scumming, and forced slow stealth scouting that takes up at least 50% of each level . AtOverall this is a fun indie cyberpunk tactical shooter at a fair price. The positive aspects of the game are the solid turn-based combat system, acceptable graphics, and the interesting cyberpunk civil war America setting. The flaws of the game are the lack of story and variety, need for constant save scumming, and forced slow stealth scouting that takes up at least 50% of each level . At the time of this writing the game is a fair $20 which excuses the flaws in my opinion. Expand
  19. Mar 2, 2021
    - No posee looteo en el mapa mas que agarrar botiquines, granadas o tarjetas para torretas
    - Los mismos 4 o 5 escenarios en los que tenes que volver a jugar una y otra vez
    - Sin personalizacion de los personajes
    - Sin upgradeo de armas.
    - Sin tienda para comprar armas ni items.

Lo encontre super vacio y monotono. Es como jugar al mutant pero con un 15% de su contenido..
  20. Jun 6, 2021
    nice game Corruption 2029 I'm curious how this game came to be, considering the silence from the devs, and it being announced entirely less than a month before release. In a lot of ways I hope they actually made this before Mutant, and are just cashing in on some Epic exclusivity to fund thei

Mixed or average reviews - based on 22 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 22, 2020
    The game does not offend, but also doesn´t inspire. If it had more original content, it would certainly receive a more positive feedback. Therefore, it is only an average game. [Issue#302]
  2. Apr 19, 2020
    Corruption 2029 is a shameless clone of Mutant Year Zero minus everything that was good in the original game.
  3. Apr 17, 2020
    Corruption 2029 has great gameplay and graphics but the writing and lore for the game felt rushed and underutilised. Missions and maps tend to be recycled making the game feel repetitive.