8.3

1. Jan 28, 2019
    OK, well I didn't expect it, but this game got me hooked line and sinker.
    Great on all counts: good action/adventure, combats are challenging but varied, the scenario & lore are well written, characters are likable and not shallow, graphics are good (for a 2D pixel style of course), lots of smart puzzles that integrate well with the rest, music is supporting well the experience.
    I have
    OK, well I didn't expect it, but this game got me hooked line and sinker.
    I have honestly no complaint, I had a great time. This is the kind of game I'd like to see more often! Keep up the good work!
  2. Oct 5, 2020
    Tight platforming and combat, satisfying (if challenging) puzzles, and only a sprinkling of grinding (for the completionists; entirely optional). The story is intriguing, too. Obviously gorgeous with a nostalgic-though strong-score. I'm 19 hours in and hooked.
  3. Oct 10, 2018
    The game is amazing if you like the retro 2d games I.E. Metroid, Zelda, nother various snes games.
  4. Oct 1, 2018
    This game is a 16bit action/rpg on CRACK. I'm serious, it's like a drug, after purchasing it on steam I played for 12 hours straight and the morning after I did it again, ****
  5. Jan 4, 2019
    This is the first jRPG I honestly like a lot. At first I was considering refund, but 14hrs in I'm soo glad I didn't. It's fun. Give it an honest try, it's worth it.
  6. Nov 13, 2016
    Omggggggggggggggggggggggg what a awesome game! I remind the good times of snes and ps1 consoles, all the stuff on the game, graphics, sound, OMG it's SOOOOOO nostalgic!!!!
  7. Oct 9, 2018
    this is my favorite game of all time. if you like rpgs and the trailer looks interesting to you then check out this incredibly underrated little gem.
  8. Sep 2, 2020
    Absolute kino. This game is severely underrated, deserves a 9.5/10. I'd only subtract points for the fact that all puzzles are timed and I feel they didn't do a great job of indicating the height of platforms.
  9. Oct 8, 2018
    Crosscode was quite the unexpected surprise for me. I went in with zero expectations, but found an incredible experience along the way.

The combat was fast paced and challenging. The puzzles within the dungeons were deep and thoughtful. The music was inspired by and even sampling some of gaming's best, among which were songs like "Chronopolis" from Chrono Cross. (I happen to be a huge fan of Yasunori Mitsuda.)

The game doesn't feel completed yet. It honestly seems like the ending areas were a bit rushed and cramped together. The story feels incomplete.

However, the gameplay was so enjoyable in its own right that it more than made up for it. As the saying goes, "It is greater than the sum of it's parts".
  10. Dec 8, 2016
    This is one of my favorite games this year. One problem with it right now is that there isn't a lot of story, but again its in beta. For 20$ you get 15+ hours of single player fun. And that's with the beta. Even more when the full game releases. I would recommend this game even before I would recommend AAA titles like BF1 and Titanfall 2. You can even play a demo hereThis is one of my favorite games this year. One problem with it right now is that there isn't a lot of story, but again its in beta. For 20$ you get 15+ hours of single player fun. And that's with the beta. Even more when the full game releases. I would recommend this game even before I would recommend AAA titles like BF1 and Titanfall 2. You can even play a demo here http://www.cross-code.com/en/start Expand
  11. Jan 31, 2017
    Amazing game!!! My SNES and Assassins Creed gave birth. The love that went into this game is amazing!! Thank you Deck 13. This retro action JRPG is my new Therapy
  12. Feb 24, 2017
    Great in terms of content, fits in well with the original story, plus gives a nice refreshing feel. I like the new interface and content additions. Bug were and always will be during game releases,
  13. Jun 17, 2017
    Quite possibly the best game I've ever played, even in its incomplete state. Everything about it is on point. The puzzle design is genius, the combat system smooth and satisfying, the spritework beautiful and the tunes very pleasant to the ear - but the greatest thing about the game is its stellar story. It is very lighthearted, and at times, admittedly a bit cheesy too, but somehow itQuite possibly the best game I've ever played, even in its incomplete state. Everything about it is on point. The puzzle design is genius, the combat system smooth and satisfying, the spritework beautiful and the tunes very pleasant to the ear - but the greatest thing about the game is its stellar story. It is very lighthearted, and at times, admittedly a bit cheesy too, but somehow it still manages to make you fall in love with the one-sided, yet deep characters, thanks to the well-written dialogue and the detailed, expressive portraits used during cutscenes.

If you're thinking about getting the game in its early access, it is very much worth it, although the story is a bit scarce as of now. CrossCode is a shining example of a well-executed early access game; regularly updated with tons of new content, and the developers, RadicalFIshGames, are very transparent and host gamedev streams weekly and also communicate on Discord on a daily basis.

P.S. The game was made by RadicalFishGames, do not give credit for Deck 13 for creating this masterpiece, they are just the publisher (to you who thanked Deck 13 in your review).
  14. Apr 23, 2019
    Refrescante, CrossCode es un ARPG que da gusto jugar por lo sobresaliente que es en muchos aspectos. Su gameplay se siente fluido y ajustado para cada tipo de jugador, si lo tuyo es el combate cuerpo a cuerpo, de rango o tal vez algo mas defensivo puedes mejorar a tu personaje hacia esas ramas. Los puzzles no son fáciles, estos requieren que de verdad te detengas a pensar para poderRefrescante, CrossCode es un ARPG que da gusto jugar por lo sobresaliente que es en muchos aspectos. Su gameplay se siente fluido y ajustado para cada tipo de jugador, si lo tuyo es el combate cuerpo a cuerpo, de rango o tal vez algo mas defensivo puedes mejorar a tu personaje hacia esas ramas. Los puzzles no son fáciles, estos requieren que de verdad te detengas a pensar para poder resolverlos y darte cuenta de lo ingeniosos que pueden resultar ser. Sus personajes e historia son entrañables, en compañía con su banda sonora y hermoso pixelart hacen de la experiencia inolvidable. Los enemigos y las batallas contra los jefes representan un verdadero reto y brindan "satisfacción" al vencerlos por darte por superado.

Tal vez pueda seguir señalando muchos aspectos más y extender esta reseña pero pienso que en resumen CrossCode es un juego que recomiendo mucho jugar de primera mano, totalmente recomendado. 10/10.
  15. Jun 12, 2020
    Crosscode is the best possible version of indie kickstarter. The game is not quite like anything else out there; it is stuffed to the gills with novelty but those novel systems interconnect incredibly well and each system has been polished to a mirror sheen. There is a unity of vision shining through the game that I've never seen come from a large studio team (no single person at largeCrosscode is the best possible version of indie kickstarter. The game is not quite like anything else out there; it is stuffed to the gills with novelty but those novel systems interconnect incredibly well and each system has been polished to a mirror sheen. There is a unity of vision shining through the game that I've never seen come from a large studio team (no single person at large company can be involved in all parts of the game).

My favourite game of the year, and one of my top games ever.
  16. Feb 4, 2019
    It is a well-polished indie game. The story is kind of basic but the gameplay and puzzle design are done exceptionally well. If you like a game due to its mechanics and puzzles and down mind 2D art then this is for you.

It is also extremely difficult at first.
  17. Oct 7, 2018
    Seems legit, 9 people make 0 rating reviews on the same day, all with gibberish names and only 1 review made.
    Why? Why would you do this to such a great game?
  18. Oct 16, 2018
    Crosscode is a beautiful gamingexperience filled with so much details and so much carefulness.
    This is one of this rare gems that you just need to experience. Yes - some puzzles may be difficult, but in a time, where "handholding" the player every step, it`s just refreshening to see a game do something difference for once.
    The mechanics are intuitive and the gameplay fastpaced and
    The mechanics are intuitive and the gameplay fastpaced and challenging in a good way. The difficulty is fullfilling and much needed, because right after you beat one of this passages you'll feel accomplished.
  19. Oct 23, 2018
    Very good game! The graphics and animations look phenomenal and the work that has been put into this game was probably very much! The music reminds me of a lot of classic games and it is quite motivating too. If you're looking for a game that reminds you of the good old SNES era this game is perfect for you.

I cannot understand why so many people rate it so badly. The work that went

I cannot understand why so many people rate it so badly. The work that went into this game is probably more than the work that went into any other indie game I know.
  20. Jul 6, 2020
    Siempre estuve buscando una evolución de los juegos estilo zelda, y siento que este videojuego llena ese vacío, con más dificultad y profundidad en sus combates y puzzles. Tiene un apartado artístico muy bello y detallista, y el juego tiene mucho contenido, para el precio en el que está, me parece una ganga.
  21. Nov 3, 2018
    One of the best rpg's i've ever played.
    The story is so good, and the developers promise more with free updates and probably a future dlc.
  22. Nov 4, 2018
    So here is my first review battling the fake 0's simply because the game deserves it:
    If someome happened to reimagine some SNES classics like Secret of Mana, Terranigma and the likes of these combined with the experience developers have made in the past decades then this might be the result.
    In short: It is awesome. To me personally as someone who has been gaming for >32 years the
    In short: It is awesome.
    To me personally as someone who has been gaming for >32 years the story feels pretty fresh. Big parts of it can be found here and there in several Anime/Manga, but in games the setting is definitely still rare.
    The main character is very likeable, partly because of surprisingly well done facial expressions in the dialogues.

But to the gameplay just focusing on the points that matter the most to me as everyone can watch a trailer:
    It's a great mix of puzzles and fighting. Fights which are often enough not a no-brainer and puzzles for which the same can be said. I feel taken seriously as a player who has played the classics. I understand some parts can be frustrating but as you can adjust the difficulty for both fights and puzzles this is not a problem anymore. In addition we have internet, not like back in the times of SNES - but you should not get stuck like ever with a bit out-of-the-box thinking.

Graphics wise it is full of details and very atmospheric (also due to the music or it's absence at the right time!).

One other thing, but an important one to me: The learning curve feels as perfect as possible compared to any other game I have played. Period.
    Mechanics are introduced well and the puzzles/fights both get gradually harder just in the right speed. At the same time it does not feel to me like there is an unnecessary repetition of the same use of abilities. I only missed an explanation of lv2/3 combat techniques, but that could be my fault overreading something. I don't know.

As a last thing I want to say that only comparing it to the SNES classics is not exactly right. Combat is more fast paced and both the RPG and exploration parts are way bigger. Perhaps it is a Witcher 3 in a smaller 16 bit world put in a blender with those SNES classics.

But if you have any love for these mentioned other games: Go for it!
  23. Nov 10, 2018
    Fantastic indie game. Reminiscent of old school action RPGs like Secret of Mana. Incredible combat system, very polished. Good story and character development, I'll keep this spoiler free. Memorable soundtrack, tons of puzzles. Completionists can easily sink over 100 hours or more in this game. Each area is hand crafted and boss battles are unique. They're still adding content, even afterFantastic indie game. Reminiscent of old school action RPGs like Secret of Mana. Incredible combat system, very polished. Good story and character development, I'll keep this spoiler free. Memorable soundtrack, tons of puzzles. Completionists can easily sink over 100 hours or more in this game. Each area is hand crafted and boss battles are unique. They're still adding content, even after 1.0 released! Can't wait to see what's next, and in the future what other games they make. Expand
  24. Dec 19, 2018
    I started playing Crosscode around the middle of the open beta, back when only 3/4ths of the game was released. I became greatly invested in the characters and the beautiful story surrounding it, and every update had me wanting more. Everything from the dialogue, to the story moments, and even the fights had me drawn in, Now that I've finally finished the game, I can truly say thatI started playing Crosscode around the middle of the open beta, back when only 3/4ths of the game was released. I became greatly invested in the characters and the beautiful story surrounding it, and every update had me wanting more. Everything from the dialogue, to the story moments, and even the fights had me drawn in, Now that I've finally finished the game, I can truly say that Crosscode is one of my favourite games of all time. The ending of the game had me entranced and engaged to the very end. To the developers and everyone else who worked on making Crosscode, thank you so much for creating such a wonderful game. (Looking forward to the post-game content too!) Expand
  25. Dec 22, 2018
    Crosscode picks every good thing of the legendary RPGs of 80s and 90s, and puts on a single game. The excecution of the mechanics of the game is simply PERFECT. I've had a very fun time having 72 hours of gameplay long. The history is not too good as the mechanics, but is excellent. The history is envolvent, and you can also cry in some moments. The graphics are beautiful, considering thatCrosscode picks every good thing of the legendary RPGs of 80s and 90s, and puts on a single game. The excecution of the mechanics of the game is simply PERFECT. I've had a very fun time having 72 hours of gameplay long. The history is not too good as the mechanics, but is excellent. The history is envolvent, and you can also cry in some moments. The graphics are beautiful, considering that is a pixelated game, and the effects (like explosions, fire and freeze) are awesome. This game have a moderated level of difficulty, acentuated in some bosses, that makes you to plain strategies to win on a better way. The game is full of puzzles, some of them, very challenging. I feel sad seeing how this game is underrated, and don't have such sucess like indie games with poorly execution compared to crosscode. This game should be more knowed in the gamer community. It is many years dedicated to produce a masterpiece like this. Expand
  26. Aug 20, 2019
    One of the best games I have played. Amazing story, fast paced and fun combat, rewarding puzzles, great gear and stat point utilization... Overall amazing.

The one detail that is sad is it has little replay value, however in less than 3 weeks a new mode is coming out , creating more incentive to replay.
  27. Jul 9, 2020
    Incredible game. Great action, great puzzles, great rpg elements, great and sometimes funny story, fascinating world. Flawlessly executed. This is a far better game than any of the 16 bit classic titles it nostalgically references and that is exactly what indie developers should be aiming for. The combination of multiple different classic genres here is superb. Imagine Secret of ManaIncredible game. Great action, great puzzles, great rpg elements, great and sometimes funny story, fascinating world. Flawlessly executed. This is a far better game than any of the 16 bit classic titles it nostalgically references and that is exactly what indie developers should be aiming for. The combination of multiple different classic genres here is superb. Imagine Secret of Mana except better in every respect.

I think an 86 is underselling it. This is a must buy.
  28. May 17, 2021
    There is so much content and love put into this game that it baffles me. It's a great game that balances really well combat, exploration, puzzles and story.

If you ever have the chance to play this game please do! A couple of recommendations though: Make sure to play it on PC with mouse and keyboard, the aiming is much easier and the puzzles become simpler. Don't focus only on the

Don't focus only on the main story, try to get the chests in the environments and do the side quests, all the optional content is of high standard and compliments the story really well.
  29. Nov 21, 2022
    Genuinely one of the best games I've played, indie or not. Insane amount of polish and an amazing amount of playtime for your dollar, even if you aren't a completionist like me.
  30. Jun 28, 2021
    the single-most underrated game of all-time. 50-100+ hours of all the **** you love about rpgs with most of the rpg bull**** cut out, a fantastic story with fantastic gameplay, and superb level design for, get this:

20 bucks.
  31. Jun 17, 2022
    When I first played Crosscode in the Chrome experiment project in early 2014, I was instantly brought in by the dynamic and fast paced combat, the interesting visuals and the intriguing story aspects.

When I played the full release in 2019, I fell in love all over again. The story is far better than anything I could've hoped for, the gameplay was as crisp and satisfying as I remembered, and the soundtrack and visuals are straight up perfect. And then there's the characters... I gotta admit, this is one of the few games where I could truly resonate with the characters, the personality are so well defined and the reaction feel so natural.

Honestly, if you haven't played this game already, go for it. It's worth every penny and the devs have the right to be proud of this masterpiece of a game.
  32. Oct 1, 2018
    A lot of indie games attempt a retro-revival of the 16-bit era, but none do so with the massive scope, smooth modern gamefeel, meticulous design sense, carefully curated pacing and loving attention to detail of this masterpiece.
    CrossCode surpasses Secret of Mana in deep action-rpg combat and memorable storytelling.
    CrossCode surpasses Zelda: a Link to the Past in polished gamefeel,
    CrossCode surpasses Zelda: a Link to the Past in polished gamefeel, exploration and ingenious dungeon-puzzles.
    It is however, an original creation - not merely re-tread of tired formulas. I am in awe of the scope and quality of this open world, yet I never feel alone, aimless or tired amidst it all - the characters are charming, the story is gripping, the mechanics keep evolving and deepening - I cannot wait to keep playing!!
  33. Dec 6, 2019
    Its a great game, but i hate some stuff about it, especialy MMO things bcs in general i dont like MMo games, but storywase its original and unique, fight can get tedious, and i cant wait for dlc, tako da u glovalu nika dje vise necu igrati ali je stvarno dobra igra, kad se predju one govnave puzle i proseravanja sa istim mobovima i to sto moram arenu da jedem govna da bigh mogao onogIts a great game, but i hate some stuff about it, especialy MMO things bcs in general i dont like MMo games, but storywase its original and unique, fight can get tedious, and i cant wait for dlc, tako da u glovalu nika dje vise necu igrati ali je stvarno dobra igra, kad se predju one govnave puzle i proseravanja sa istim mobovima i to sto moram arenu da jedem govna da bigh mogao onog zadnjeg da ubijem slepca. Ali sve u svemu ok je igra da se predje, ali vise nikada necu igrati jbg. Expand
  34. Mar 26, 2019
    The only thing I do not like about the game is the playtime. it might be a bit shorter, so only 9/10
  35. Nov 25, 2018
    This game is fantastic. First of all, the story and characters are top notch. The plot gets the player engaged from the time they start a new game and while it plays with the whole 'silent protagonist' trope, it does it well by explaining why they're mostly mute. The protagonist ends up being compelling and one of my favorite leads in an rpg so far. The characters feel very threeThis game is fantastic. First of all, the story and characters are top notch. The plot gets the player engaged from the time they start a new game and while it plays with the whole 'silent protagonist' trope, it does it well by explaining why they're mostly mute. The protagonist ends up being compelling and one of my favorite leads in an rpg so far. The characters feel very three dimensional and while the main antagonist isn't exactly clear-cut and it takes nearly the end of the game to find out who is even the main antagonist, it is a semi-realistic story that is a fresh breath of air.

The graphics are beautiful, 2d styled graphics that really shine as some of the best sprite work I've seen in a while. The characters have portraits when they speak and since the game doesn't have voice acting and is all text-based it really shows their emotions and each portrait can change depending on what they're feeling. Everything has a supreme level of polish to it visually and I just fell in love with the art style.

The music is also very well done and catchy. I liked the entire soundtrack and I'd even recommend putting it on a playlist. It's pretty much NieR: Automata levels of good.

The gameplay. This is both amazing and somewhat frustrating. The combat is excellent, very flashy, challenging and fun. The combat is very fast paced and while at first, it's not that hard, after the halfway point it does get very difficult. Leveling is hard too because after awhile enemies only give 1 exp and while the cap to level is 1000, you can see where this might be problematic. The game also has a barter system for equipment where you gather materials to get better equipment, which is fine in theory but the issue is that it takes a while to grind out all the materials. Not a horrible system but it does require a bit of work.

There is an alternative to grinding though and that's doing sidequests. The sidequests, unfortunately, are not really that interesting but it does give you plenty of EXP and they have a distinct MMO feel and not in a good way. The developers noticed that people have complained about the difficulty and added in sliders that let you tweak how much damage enemies do and the frequency that they attack. It makes the game easier and even manageable for those who simply don't want to grind out for better equipment or do mediocre sidequests to just be on a level playing field. Even if you don't use it and want to try until you win, the game is very forgiving. If you die, you don't have to go back too far and you'll start on the same screen so it makes trying again that much easier.

The other issue is the pacing. The story, characters, music, graphics, and combat are great. The dungeons are very puzzle heavy. Think Lufia 2 on hard mode. They're pretty much 1-2 hour puzzles that don't have many breaks in between. This can make them tiring, especially if you don't like puzzles that much. Though they are designed in a way where if you just need a break, it's not hard to leave the dungeon and all your progress stays in place. A nice touch. The puzzles start off simple enough but then become to the point where they're trial and error. Another thing is that there is a lot of time and precision based puzzles. This was enough for me to dislike the game's dungeons but thankfully the devolopers made a mode adjustment where you can control the speed of these puzzles, giving much needed extra time to complete them with minimal frustration.

All and all this is a game that is excellent and it also has developers that care much about feedback. It's only 20 USD currently so if you like action rpg's with puzzles, this is your game. If you don't like puzzles, I'd say still get it, though a video walkthrough will be very helpful.

Despite those small issues, this is a great game that I feel everyone should play atleast once.
  36. Nov 7, 2018
    I've played it some time ago and I remember that it was a great game. I forget about it till tomorrow. And I just played it till 3 AM, wake up today with my alarm clock and drank double coffee. Yep, it's definitely a good game. I gotta run, but it's worth your time.
  37. Oct 15, 2018
    Who loved old SNES Games like Terranigma will absolutely love that amazing game :)

Only downside is that puzzles can be tedious and there is no easy way to skip it..
  38. Oct 17, 2018
    Do you want a super polished, content rich and long game? Then this game is for you.
    20 bucks for a game like this is a steal. This is one of those games that constantly rewards you for exploring by giving you better equipment and finding a lot of fun puzzles that can make it easier for you to move around. The puzzles in this game are extremely well made and can get super challenging in a good way because beating them just feels sooo good.
    The combat in this game may seem simple,, especially in the beginning of the game, but as you progress forward you'll see that the game forces you to think more tactically, Story got me really hooked and definitely had some of those "one tear" moments. If you like indie games, dungeons with fun combat, amazing boss fights and 2d rpg games you will love this game. It just feels so good to play.
    Also,..
    People giving this 0/10 and hating on everything are simply just people without hearts. i cant believe how disrespectful and immature some people can be against indie-developers instead of giving them good constructive criticism with a positive attitude. I also see some people giving a bad review when they only played about two hours of the game.
    Please don't review this game or any type of game if you never actually played through the whole thing. Its like reading 10 pages from a book and then calling the entire book bad. Simply stupid.
  39. Nov 29, 2018
    1 of the best indie games i have ever played and i've played alot of them, if you like a 2D Action RPG with a fun narrative fast pace combat like Ys series or Secret of Mana this is it. The only bad thing about it is that the main campaign is complete but optional locations and quests are still being made, which is a shame because alot of ppl like me want to experience and explore every1 of the best indie games i have ever played and i've played alot of them, if you like a 2D Action RPG with a fun narrative fast pace combat like Ys series or Secret of Mana this is it. The only bad thing about it is that the main campaign is complete but optional locations and quests are still being made, which is a shame because alot of ppl like me want to experience and explore every spot of this game on the first playthrough Expand
  40. Jun 23, 2020
    Great game plays with genre tropes solid 60-80 hours of chronotastic fun, had a blast seven dungeons and clever puzzles .
  41. Mar 12, 2020
    Mixing pleasant retro vibes with tons of modern meta-humor; CrossCode's entertaining story, characters and complex controls make for an unforgettably thrilling time.
  42. Jun 10, 2021
    It was great game. I played for about 50 hours and never got bored. Level designs are very good. Various quests and creatures. Lots of places to explore and chests to collect. Many different equipment. Pretty good skill tree. Fun battle system. Spectacular boss battles Engaging story and sweet dialogues. Musics are great. The best part of the game was the puzzles were so much fun.
  43. Dec 12, 2019
    Full of heart and tons of fun.

Exploration is a joy. The areas are visually distinct and filled with treasures that give you plenty of reason to find every little secret. And they have a clever kind of platforming that's more about aim; it works well for the game's perspective. The dungeons are surprisingly fleshed-out. Puzzles you can sink your teeth into, and awesome boss battles.
    Full of heart and tons of fun.

The dungeons are surprisingly fleshed-out. Puzzles you can sink your teeth into, and awesome boss battles. There is just so much content in this game.

Combat is chaotic and a click-heavy like an ARPG, which gives me trouble. But there are two difficulty sliders that let me keep things reasonable.

I ended up loving the story. It surprises you several times just when you think you've got it figured out.

All in all, a fun and polished indie gem. If you've ever loved an RPG, I think you'll love Crosscode.
  44. May 5, 2020
    Easily one of my favourite games on steam at the moment. Beautiful 2d graphics. Combat is really nice and fluent. Contains a lot of references to other populair movies and games. Simply Amazing!
  45. Dec 21, 2021
    I Don't understand the 0 ratings on this site. This RPG has to be one of the best 16-bit like experience out there. The Story, dungeons and game-play is amazing. Give it a try!

*edit*

Changing from 9 to 8.
    The game is great but the dungeons are far too convoluted and dragged out.
    They kind of break the rhythm of the game which is great aside from that.
  46. Oct 8, 2018
    TLDR:
    Don't buy this unless you are really into (difficult) puzzles and want to get involved in the story for the long haul
    The Good: Good Combat Great Story Lots of puzzles Exploration The Bad: Some puzzles are annoying/infuriating Story takes a long time to ramp up Gets grindy at points (I suggest just buying equipment) The map in general is nice, but the pathing some
    TLDR:

The Good:
    Good Combat
    Great Story
    Lots of puzzles
    Exploration

The Bad:
    Some puzzles are annoying/infuriating
    Story takes a long time to ramp up
    Gets grindy at points (I suggest just buying equipment)
    The map in general is nice, but the pathing some dungeons have you take is atrocious
  47. Dec 22, 2019
    Im about 15-20 hours in to the game and really like it so far. Feels like a "default" rpg/adventure snes game, it has good music, combat, puzzles, skilltree. Everything is very smooth and quality of life'y.
  48. Jul 5, 2020
    The game hits immediately for its high quality. The gameplay is very fun and the story cute. The character art isn't my cup of tea, but Emile singlehandedly makes up for that.
    There is however one very large issue: everything is stretched far above the excessive.
    Usually more content is better, however there is a point where more becomes less. Each area in this game lasts too long,

Each area in this game lasts too long, requires way too much backtracking and effort and is not properly paced by plot events.
    The game would improve considerably if all areas were reduced in length by a factor of 3, perhaps by letting the player explore large chunks of them later. There are just so many bushes, so many fetch quests and so many platforming puzzles i'm willing to perform to advance the story by a beat. None of that stuff is fun enough to spend hours doing it. The dungeons are just as bad.
  49. May 1, 2022
    I'll start off by saying that this game didn't really click with me, which is a bummer, since I think there is a lot in it to like. I pretty much appreciate everything they did, but I don't enjoy everything. Some people complain this is too much of a puzzle game, which drew me in, but for my current desires it is a bit too action-oriented.
  50. Jul 28, 2022
    I got 10 hours in, past 50% achievements... and gave up. The design is passable, there's one decent character, the combat is fun, very repetitive. I uninstalled because of the platforming and awful, congested level design. The one dungeon I went through was too long, and mostly annoying anyway. It's fun! But not worth investing your time in.
  51. May 20, 2017
    The combat in this game is fantastic on a mechanical level. The combination of the combat, puzzles, great enemy design and compelling AI make for an overall near perfect gameplay experience.
    However, the game has some flaws in the systems and rules around the gameplay. The character development is very similar to typical jrpgs, i.e. while there is development, it is very one dimensional with very few choices to make outside of equipment. The talent tree might be large, but it's mostly filled with poor +x% of y talents and the few gameplay changing ones are very binary. Overall there is no real replay value due to this linear character progression.
    There are a few other unlucky design decisions, but overall the gameplay is damn good.

The graphics obviously aren't modern, but they are still highly pleasurable for the eye. Only flaw is that the devs not only copied the snes art style, but also the snes level size. Having to go through loading screens after progressing 2 screen lengths is not acceptable anymore today.

The sound is great and captures the feeling of old school action rpgs. Not much else to say about it, full marks on sfx and music.

The only real flaw of CrossCode is the story.
    The setting is extremely unoriginal to anyone with some knowledge about jrpgs. The real mmorpg setting is a dead horse that really doesn't need any more beating. It really oozes the impression of a 40 year old obese virgin living in his mothers basement.
    The characters are beyond cheesy and couldn't be any more clichéd. Some of the are straight clones of 80s anime characters.
    The silent main character is an extremely poor choice and highly non entertaining. Then again, she probably wouldn't have anything interesting to say to anything other than 'yes'.
    The plot is presented in such a drawn out and most of the time uninteresting way. Yet at other times it's overly dramatic and again horribly cheesy. All of that is already present in the horrible intro / tutorial.

Ultimately, any element of the story is more or less bad - so bad that it really sours the experience one could have with the great gameplay. Even just a slightly more generic setting would have warranted a much higher score. But as it is, the story is just killing everything. Even if you are a massive japanophile, you will feel insulted over the impudent copying of cheesy jrpg clichés.

In summary:
    gameplay 9/10
    graphics 9/10 (if you accept 2D)
    sound 10/10
    story -5/10 (yes the story is so bad it negatively impacts everything else).
  52. Jan 31, 2021
    Loved it at first, as i hoped it will be adventure similar to Chrono Quest, but quickly realized that it is just tedious single player mmo, with gazillion pointless fetch quests. Too bad as i really liked the combat and old school art style.
  53. Jun 25, 2022
    This game has way to many puzzles chained together in the major progression content, it's literally a mega dungeon of puzzles, this was too much and over the top for me that it sucked all the fun out of the game.
    The story and the world is interesting, and it kept me in for longer than it would have, but ultimately I put it down after I reached the 2nd dungeon (approx 6-7hrs in), it's just too many puzzles and all I want to do is whack and shoot stuff in my downtime and not think for 2ish hours per dungeon (which is the average length of the dungeons!!)
  54. Oct 9, 2018
    Meh. Precisely, this is what the game is, a "meh". A lot of developers think, sudden increments in health and damage are what make for difficulty, but it doesn't. The very bad combat (of course, fast-paced combat, as turn-based was too hard to code again) combined with its abhorrent story results in, at best, a 3. The story has no depth whatsoever, neither do these characters.
    Ignore the
    Ignore the obvious shilling of this game, people think their stupid comparisons with AAA titles would make this game stand out, but it does the exact opposite. It proves the desperation of the fans, the desperation for it to be something special, even though it is not, going as far as to comparing it to timeless masterpieces like The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
  55. Oct 7, 2018
    A non-exclusive game with customary, exhausting (obviously fast-paced) combat and generally unimaginativeness. Try not to purchase this game, such purchase justified regardless of your cash.
  56. Oct 7, 2018
    Crosscode is that kind of game, which is being shilled everywhere, yet when you play it whilst ignoring the overall shilling of it, you will realize how awful it actually is.
    It, like almost every Indie game these days, has fast-paced combat, unoriginal design, and much more of that sort. Overall, it's a pretty inconsequential and generic game.
  57. Oct 8, 2018
    Dieses Spiel gehörte zu meinen am meist erwarteten; so frustriert; Was für eine schlimme Neigung. Diese Geschichte, die allgemein annehmbare Qualität, Gott, aus welchem Grund würde irgendjemand in einem solchen Ausmaß Ärger machen? Es ist ein Fall von durchschnittlicher Qualität, zum Wohl Gottes, quäle dich nicht mit etwas so Geringem! Man denke an jene Fälle, and jene Menschen, die soDieses Spiel gehörte zu meinen am meist erwarteten; so frustriert; Was für eine schlimme Neigung. Diese Geschichte, die allgemein annehmbare Qualität, Gott, aus welchem Grund würde irgendjemand in einem solchen Ausmaß Ärger machen? Es ist ein Fall von durchschnittlicher Qualität, zum Wohl Gottes, quäle dich nicht mit etwas so Geringem! Man denke an jene Fälle, and jene Menschen, die so etwas taten, und für ihre Tat büssten!

Ich gebe zu, ich machte das Beste aus der außergewöhnlich schlechten Interaktivität, aber das ist es nun. Schrecklich für ein geschichtszentriertes Spiel; somit gehört es zu den, von mir gespielten, schlechtesten Spielen.
  58. Oct 9, 2018
    It will, like all of the other Indie pixel **** rot in my Steam library. What a bad game. Its story, gameplay, **** everything, all sucks.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. Feb 20, 2019
    CrossCode shows that the size of a developer and its overall budget doesn't determine the quality of the game. AAA developers can sink all the money in the world into a title, and it may still lack that special something. That isn't the case here. Radical Fish Games' CrossCode is a masterpiece action RPG by a small-scale studio, and it's damn-near perfect in nearly every way.
  2. Nov 13, 2018
    CrossCode is an outstanding title that is completely worth your time investment. It is beautiful, compelling and a ton of fun.
  3. Nov 11, 2018
    CrossCode is a funky, charming and sometimes even too extensive action RPG with a pleasant nostalgic side.