tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 2 more ratings

1. Feb 6, 2021
    "Curious expedition"'s biggest strengths were a crisp rogue-lite concept and 8-bit-charm. Both have been "improved" in this sequel - the sharp, unforgiving sandbox now comes with unskippable, repeated campaign missions, and the pixelated artstyle and highly recognizable sound and music had to move for a rather generic hand-drawn style and pretty bland "modern" versions of the soundtrack."Curious expedition"'s biggest strengths were a crisp rogue-lite concept and 8-bit-charm. Both have been "improved" in this sequel - the sharp, unforgiving sandbox now comes with unskippable, repeated campaign missions, and the pixelated artstyle and highly recognizable sound and music had to move for a rather generic hand-drawn style and pretty bland "modern" versions of the soundtrack.

While there are some new elements, items and challenges, the original playstyle has more or less survived this renovation, but even here the new ideas are not always welcome additions, and some of the new rules - like not being able to build on your former success when you prepare a new exploration, since all your treasures and tools are just gone, and you basically have to start over - make for a worse experience.

At the same time the amount of missions and mission goals is quite small, and while some tiles and events have been added to the maps, they come with balancing issues and difficulty spikes that turn what should be gaming into pure gambling.

The antagonistic fog, that is the core element of the new campaign-based gameplay, seems to have seeped into the design stage of this sequel, and while it's not a bad game, it's a rather disappointing one given the momentum Maschinenmensch had with the predecessor.

Mixed or average reviews - based on 9 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 2, 2021
    I really like where my successive adventures into Curious Expedition 2 took me. There’s a few minor bugs to iron out, but I found that the game was mostly a smooth ride from beginning to end (by which I mean when an expedition failed and I quit the game). There’s enough depth here that you feel invested in the fate of your character, and even once I finished playing, I kept thinking back to my latest run and what I could do differently.
  2. Feb 19, 2021
    This is certainly not a bad game, but it’s missing a spark, something to make you want to skip work and play a few more turns. Furthermore, the combat system is boring and everything relies on chance too much for my liking. This expedition has lost itself.
  3. Feb 17, 2021
    Curious Expedition 2 suffers from some of the same frustrations that plague all games with any level of procedural generation, but, overall, it’s a fun romp filled with adventure and mystery. The structured story missions that frame the side quests provide a much-welcomed story to the game, and the myriad of characters, items, and gameplay options kept each mission fresh. Much like the mysterious islands you’ll explore and conquer, Curious Expedition 2 is worth checking out.