7.6

1. Mar 10, 2020
    Let me begin by saying that this is an indie game in early development at time of writing and you should expect as much from it.

With that in mind it completely surpassed my expectations. The game's visuals are pleasing to the eye and combat continues to be interesting many hours in. My only non-superficial complaint would be a lack of content and variety. It is a rogue-lite and as such randomly generates it's levels based on specific patterns of rooms. Unfortunately the random rooms come from a very obviously short list. Coupled with only a handful of enemy types this makes for a somewhat monotonous experience. These things can be expected from an Indie game still in development and aren't as much a complaint as a thirst for more. I cannot wait to see what Passtech Games will do in the future with this title and will be following its development into the future.

Despite some balancing gripes and general polish this game makes for a great experience that I can only see getting better.
  2. Feb 28, 2021
    the game has solid gameplay loop, but after playing hades, this feels so hollow. like 20 steps back
    maybe I just need to accept that great games are rare and most games are just filler
  3. Lgn
    Mar 2, 2021
    A bad copy pasted mechanics of dark souls, a bad copy of hades and a balance who is made by a couple of monkeys with no brain. In hard mode it feels even worse, after finishing the game the first time it's completly pointless to continue playing.

I guess just copying mindlessly other good game is not enough to create something decent.

Trash.
  4. Feb 28, 2021
    This game gets a bad wrap because of hades. Imo, its' better, but honestly it should be in its own category. Cool unique aesthetic and light mechanics, slower combat system and more soulslike vibe. If you enjoy difficult roguelite games that feel smooth, polished and have a varied loot progression system then I'd be surprised if you didn't dig this game.
  5. Mar 1, 2021
    This is not Hades! This game will get a lot of negative reviews from people that expected the casual experience and the mirror-upgrade + story loop of Hades.

The core game play of Curse of the Dead Gods is much deeper, but it doesn't have story content or that many rougue-lite elements. You have to improve your skills instead of mirror upgrades in this game - it's much more skill based and if you know how to play and how to handle the controls and enemy attack patterns you could easily win without any permanent upgrades.

If you're looking for a great rogue-lite dungeon crawler with game play focus instead of Hades 2.0, you can't go wrong.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Mar 2, 2021
    If you just want an old-school roguelike to test your mettle, you can't go wrong with Curse of the Dead Gods. It's the right mix of challenge and experimentation, providing dozens of hours of playtime before it starts to wear. After that, you may even find self-imposed challenges and the chase of perfection enough to keep you delving back in for another run.
    Curse of the Dead Gods is a roguelike hack'n'slash with fast-paced action, and an immediate but also very deep combat system.
  3. Feb 24, 2021
    Curse of the Dead Gods is a great action roguelite title that let you balance risk with precise control and complex gameplay mechanisms. PassTech Games will need to flesh it out a bit in the coming months though.