7.2

1. Sep 27, 2018
    Darksiders is the epitome of a mixed game with each polished element attached to a flaw:

- Its visual style is well executed, but extremely generic (though if their generic style was to match that of the generic story, then I applaud them for that consistency); - its colour palette is definitely vibrant and approachable, but it clashes with the overly serious tones of the writing (with

- its colour palette is definitely vibrant and approachable, but it clashes with the overly serious tones of the writing (with humour as bland as the story and art style);
    - the combat is satisfying, but many tools are shoehorned in for individual missions, or entirely unnecessary wastes of currency;
    - the enemy variety is highly diverse, but the methods of dispatching them are close to identical across the board;
    - the puzzles are interesting (if a tad long), but the tools used in them follow inconsistent physics across various scenarios;
    - finally, it's guidance to the player leaps between unnecessarily obvious to entirely absent.

Overall, I went into this game hoping for a mindless hack-and-slash. Instead, it turned out to be a puzzle-game with intermittent hack-and-slash game-play. Generally, I would recommend this game to anyone with $5-10 knocking about (particularly if it's bundled with Darksiders II) looking for a casual hour or two of game-play across a few weeks of lazy evenings. Knowing now what it is, I will probably play the sequel, but only after ticking several more compelling games off of my list first. As for the third... perhaps I'll revisit it when it's heavily discounted... not an experience worth the retail price.
  2. Nov 29, 2016
    The game is beautiful and I want to love it, but there's just so many breaks from an already lackluster action meaning fun is not allowed. I have always looked at Darksiders in my gallery of Steam games and wished it was more, but it's not. This update doesn't change that, graphics are greatly improved, you may even call it modernized. The art style with the series has always been uniqueThe game is beautiful and I want to love it, but there's just so many breaks from an already lackluster action meaning fun is not allowed. I have always looked at Darksiders in my gallery of Steam games and wished it was more, but it's not. This update doesn't change that, graphics are greatly improved, you may even call it modernized. The art style with the series has always been unique and appreciated. So we may as well get it out of the way. This game is beautiful, the art always has been. Graphics were never the problem, but this is what the "Warmastered" update chooses to address.

Everything wrong with the game lies within gameplay itself. Levels are linear, "hidden" items in the world are two steps off the beaten path. Combat is almost exclusively limited to a two button system with the occasional "press b to enter scripted win move". The game is a hack and slash and about as brainless as the genre can be. If combat is not disappointing enough, there are constantly scripted breaks from the action interrupting your fun. Maybe you can get over the cut-scenes if you enjoy the story, but the true villain of this game is the level layout and geometry.

Whether you're in an occupied city or slumming some part of the underworld, your combat is going to be constantly interrupted by scripted "Press A to slide/climb/interact" events. This has always been the biggest failing factor of the game for me, the pacing is just not right. I'm a mountain of a man, one of the four horseman, I swing a sword that's probably 10 feet long and destroy everything in my path... yet I don't have the mobility to clear a simple gap or climb a wall in a manner appropriate for the character. Instead I will be constantly interrupted by these terrible immersion breaking events.

My last issue with the game, the questing system. After arriving that the first "hub" and receiving a series of quest, I found myself being instructed to "Kill 50 enemies", and then "Kill 50 enemies without losing health". and then "Kill 50 enemies with air attacks", "Kill 50 enemies with [variable]". This is not fun to me, it will never be fun, it's lazy and I don't understand how this game ever had the following it did. The story must be great, but I can't get past everything this game is missing to experience it.
  3. Mar 11, 2017
    I got this for free as a result of owning the original on Steam, which I bought after getting 1000/1000 on the 360 version. Unfortunately the original Steam release was garbage, had a lot of tech issues so I didn't get very far at all. I view the "Warmastered" version I got for free as a long-overdue optimization patch. It actually runs well now. It also has an FoV slider, which is veryI got this for free as a result of owning the original on Steam, which I bought after getting 1000/1000 on the 360 version. Unfortunately the original Steam release was garbage, had a lot of tech issues so I didn't get very far at all. I view the "Warmastered" version I got for free as a long-overdue optimization patch. It actually runs well now. It also has an FoV slider, which is very nice to have.

As for the game itself... well, it's awesome. Fantastic art, fantastic atmosphere, really dug the presentation. A few of the combat segments are frustrating, and during cutscenes, all volume but speech is so low it's basically on mute, but otherwise, this game is awesome. Combat like God of War except more fluid, dungeons like Zelda, and a semi-open-world that lets you backtrack to get goodies you couldn't get your first time like a Metroid game. It also has a NG+, which only lets you carry over the best armor in the game to a new game, but it's still quite significant, and will really help with those who are shooting for clearing the game on the hardest difficulty.

Only downside is the puzzles in the last dungeon get a little tedious.
  4. Jul 14, 2017
    Don't buy this game, it's a trap! The only thing added to this Remastered is the better visuals. Everything else is unchanged and bad. If you want to know more about the game read my review on the original Darksiders.
  5. Jan 7, 2017
    The game, although looking a lot better than the original, lacks many display options, and is still very, very buggy. If you play it I would recommend saving often in case of crashes.
  6. Apr 29, 2020
    Played this a bit on 360 around it's original release. It wasn't that great then and it hasn't well either. Generic hack and slash combat with very little to offer in any capacity.

Take Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, skew gameplay heavily in favour of dull and repetitive hack and slash, add some well known voice talent. Hope and fail to make an enjoyable or engaging game. So many games have done what it tries with far better results, so think twice before spending any cash on it.
  7. Nov 21, 2019
    It has everything to be successful: History, mecanics, gameplay, puzzles, characters.... All in this game is epic. Awsome history for you houres! 8/10 Classic!
  8. Jan 1, 2017
  9. Feb 18, 2019
    I can't beleave they didn't fix the gamebreaking bug around the floating towers in The Black Throne. It's almost at the end of the game and it is the most frustrating piece of **** ever!
  10. Dec 9, 2018
    As the 1st edition. "The game have cool setting and design. Simple combats, puzzles. On close the end the game get bored".
  11. Sep 28, 2020
    To tell the truth, at the start of the game you really enjoy it but after 3-4 hours and million of stupid puzzles, that depends not on your mind, but on your intuition "Where shall I go?" This game positioning itself like a slasher, but the player sees 4-5 NPC on a level that you need beat 500 times before you kill it. Locations are becoming bad after the second one. The final levels areTo tell the truth, at the start of the game you really enjoy it but after 3-4 hours and million of stupid puzzles, that depends not on your mind, but on your intuition "Where shall I go?" This game positioning itself like a slasher, but the player sees 4-5 NPC on a level that you need beat 500 times before you kill it. Locations are becoming bad after the second one. The final levels are boring and similar to each other. Bosses are boring too, especially the last one keeper with broken hitboxes.
    Don't lose your time on this game, there are a lot of other slashers, that are better than this one.
  12. Feb 22, 2021
    Achei medíocre. A premissa é interessante mas o desenvolvimento não. A gameplay não flui tão bem quanto o esperado para um jogo do gênero e no final a gameplay é resumida em bater e esquivar. Talvez, ao logo do jogo, isso mude. Mas eu particularmente não aguentei e quitei.
  13. Aug 5, 2019
    Very good zelda-like for adults. Good balance between puzzles and fights. Give it a try!
  14. Nov 7, 2019
    Добротная игра. Не самая крутая в истории, но попробовать точно стоит. Как по мне, так головоломок многовато по сравнению с боевкой, но это мешает не сильно
  15. Jan 30, 2021
    Superou em tudo em relação ao original.
    O original é cheio debugs, até meu save corrompeu na epoca em que joguei.
    Mas este consertaram tudo.
    O game é uma mistura de god of war classicos e portal.
  16. Mar 8, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Got it for free in EGS. Played it back in 2010 and it was really interesting for a kid. Tried finishing the game a couple years ago, but stopped during the first mission cuz because. Now I had hard time starting cuz it was boring, then in the middle it got better, but in the end number of riddles killed, also the overall logic of every riddle has been put that way by.. whom?? Who (what character? what in-game logic?) expected a person to solve such riddles.. Bruh, the art/design team did good, but it looks stupid how War gets a time stop, grappling hook, smash glove, slow fall wings, a suriken, a teleport, and a GUN which is only useful for worms! Uh.. and I’ve had to play offline cuz MEMORY DUMP Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2020
    Ótimo remaster, com resoluções de última geração e com 60 quadros por segundo.Recomendo!
  18. Aug 26, 2020
    I never played the original version, but I like this version. Graphics are OK, great game.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critic Reviews

1. Jan 30, 2017
    Even though this is a remake of a six-year-old game, it still holds up pretty well as far as gameplay is concerned. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition looks at its best at 4K resolution and as a game, it's better than its sequel.
  2. Dec 12, 2016
    It's not quite as fresh and exciting as it was in 2010, but I still think it's something everyone should try out. If you've played it before, it's worth revisiting. If you haven't, it's a solid adventure that's well worth your time.
  3. Dec 6, 2016
    Darksiders is one of the games you should have played in your gamer life. If you missed it back in 2010 the Warmastered Edition is the perfect chance to give it a try!