7.9

1. Feb 27, 2019
    A masterpiece, and they keep adding new content for free! Roguelite game that fixes all of the problems Roguelite have.
  2. Oct 21, 2019
    Quite possibly the greatest Rogue-lite game on the market. Dead Cells is beautifully animated, feels incredibly responsive and has enough variety to keep it feeling fresh for countless hours.

Each run typically lasts 20-60 minutes, during which you'll earn enough resources to unlock brand new weapons and powers for the next one. It's a formula that keeps introducing new content and leaves you with that "one more run" mindset that keeps you playing for hours.

Performance is great - it feels silky smooth, runs well on most machines and works natively with a wide variety of controllers (though keyboard and mouse controls are supported and work perfectly fine).

On top of a branching campaign with metroidvania elements, there's a daily challenge mode (complete with global leaderboards) and a recent update has also introduced a sandbox mode that allows you to play with a large collection of settings and modifiers.

Since the initial launch on Early Access the developers have released a steady stream of updates and even released free DLC that introduces lots of new content and endgame challenges. There's plenty to sink your teeth into!
  3. Feb 12, 2019
    The art is beautiful. The gameplay is tough, fair, and the controllers are very tight. It's a rougelite game but you unlock plenty of stuff keeping you motivated for one more run.
  4. Jun 14, 2019
    A master piece, I love it. Gives you that sense of constant love/hate, incredibly addictive!
  5. kjf
    Aug 25, 2018
    oh boy. i don't even know where to start. gorgeous graphics. tight fighting and traversal. perfect fast travel locations. early access development was a treat and there will be a free update. lots of work has gone into balancing to satisfy willing casual gamers and masochist veterans. the timed door mechanic is very well implemented - there is the option to go slow even on the hardestoh boy. i don't even know where to start. gorgeous graphics. tight fighting and traversal. perfect fast travel locations. early access development was a treat and there will be a free update. lots of work has gone into balancing to satisfy willing casual gamers and masochist veterans. the timed door mechanic is very well implemented - there is the option to go slow even on the hardest difficulty, but still rewards going for them.

the amount of valid character builds is staggering: two bows, two shields, spamming grenades or turrets, pulling your enemy with a chain like scorpion from mortal kombat and teleport behind him to use the backstabbing ability of your dagger and the list goes on. every weapon or skill has a different feel and caters to a certain play style without restricting the combinations too much.

regarding progression there is an early game, adding movement options that also open up different paths to the final boss. mid game consists of unlocking permanent upgrades and weapons on the one hand and getting the skill as a player to be able to survive in the higher difficulties. there are many subtle mechanics that help the player to advance in skill what in my mind smoothens out the grinding curve very nicely. the end game is pretty meaty with daily competitive daily runs ( accessible from early game on ), tons of stuff to finally unlock and play around with and a hardest difficulty setting that deserves its name, unlocked by repeated new game +.

while the normal difficulty setting is very forgiving and allows to refill the health potions after each level, there will be only the possibility to buy one swig ( of four ) for a ridiculous amount of gold, severely hurting the build, later on. the same principle is employed for enemy types and numbers. the game shapes the player from trading hits to sweeping through the levels looking like a piece of art.

it's a must buy for any seasoned gamer for the amount of more or less well hidden references on other games, often nodding to its predecessors. the game oozes motion twins love for their project. in my humble opinion it is a milestone for the genre improving in many aspects on the already very good 'the binding of isaac'.
  6. Aug 10, 2018
    If you're an oldschool gamer whose like pixel art, you will become completely passionate for Dead Cells! It's a metroidvania-like game, with randomized levels! (which is somekind innovative). The soudtrack is gorgeous as well for the graphics!

Progression - 11 Impeccable level design. Soundtrack - 11 Really superb the amount of depth nuances of the soundtracks. Gameplay - 9 Such

Progression - 11 Impeccable level design.
    Soundtrack - 11 Really superb the amount of depth nuances of the soundtracks.
    Gameplay - 9 Such variety and nice mechanics like parry, evade and throwables.
    Graphics - 10 Retro pixel graphics very detailed, both landscapes and sprites.
    FunFactor - 8 Slow progression but it's fun and rewarding to play, each upgrade on the same criteria diminish the HP potential whose incourage the use of mixed set progression

Final Score: 9.8/10
    One of the best games of 2018 for sure!
  7. Aug 8, 2018
    Muy buen juego algo frustrante cuando mueres y pierdes todo pero quieres seguir jugando con lo poco que te queda
  8. Aug 7, 2018
    There are amazing cutscenes and dialogues with yourself and with other characters in the game worth seeing. This reminds me of the past when gamers used to be determined to complete a level stage to unlock the next cutscene feeding you more from the story of the game.
  9. Aug 31, 2018
    ead Cells is nothing less than a quintessential roguelike platformer. All of its individual elements are of top quality, from the highly responsive controls to the well-thought randomization of its varied leve
  10. Aug 27, 2018
    Haiku Review: With such great combat / Procedural is a shame / Wash, rinse, repeat gets old
    Favorite Thing: The combat is fun. There's a decent selection of weapons and equipment to allow a lot of tinkering.
    Least Favorite Thing: Dead Cells has not changed my mind about the rouge-like genre. Replaying levels over and over got boring fast and after 16 hours I was more than ready for it to be over.

Date Completed: 2018-08-26
    Playtime: 16h
    Enjoyment: 8/10 (for the first dozen hours, at least)
    Recommendation: Whether or not you're a fan of rogue-likes I think you'll still find a lot of enjoyment here.
  11. Sep 30, 2018
    Probably the best game this year! Didn't play it in early access, but have been playing it a lot since it got released. No wonder why this game is the highest rated game in the last 90 days and the second highest PC game in 2018.
  12. Nov 18, 2018
    On of the greatest metroidvanias existed. And it's constantly updating. Very beautiful art design and interesting game.
  13. Jan 4, 2020
    Engaging combat, beautiful graphics, huge variety of weapons, bonuses and special powers. Great game for many hours.
  14. Nov 16, 2019
    Anyone who calls this a Metroidvania should be shot. This is NOT a Metroidvania but a rouge-like with minor souls-like elements. There's no true backtracking or exploration, and progression is limited. It's a pretty good game, but it's also very-difficult and requires a ton of grinding in order to get decent weapons for beating the game. The reasons for not giving it a 10/10: too grindy,Anyone who calls this a Metroidvania should be shot. This is NOT a Metroidvania but a rouge-like with minor souls-like elements. There's no true backtracking or exploration, and progression is limited. It's a pretty good game, but it's also very-difficult and requires a ton of grinding in order to get decent weapons for beating the game. The reasons for not giving it a 10/10: too grindy, imbalanced weapons, too short. Expand
  15. Jun 13, 2020
    Truly an excellent game with so many nuances and gameplay choices that makes every run a fresh experience. Even if the core game is like 1 hour long, it managed to keep me glued like 90 more hours. It's fast paced and addictive.
  16. Aug 16, 2019
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  17. Jan 10, 2020
    This game gave me solid 200 hours of fun. It's not for everyone. This is a rogue like metroidvania. This means that you will die a lot until you learn the mechanics of the game. Then the game becomes easy, and then you progress to 1 boss cell and you become a noob again. Master 1 boss cell? Boss cell two will destroy you, etc.

Overall if you like repetitive games, this one is fun to get

Overall if you like repetitive games, this one is fun to get into and kill some time. One thing I like about this game is items I thought were garbage turned out to be OP as I got better at the game. My advice is try it to see if it's for you.
  18. Jun 7, 2020
    Insanely dynamic.
    Controller basically required.
    Many multiple and diverse playstyles that all work to the same degree of efficiency in their own way. Rewards fast and clean gameplay, cannot be said as much for thoroughness. Enemy design is great enough to be mentioned. Bosses are a little too few and far between. Artstyle is ingenious and great to look at even if it can get messy in
    Insanely dynamic.
    Controller basically required.
    Rewards fast and clean gameplay, cannot be said as much for thoroughness.
    Enemy design is great enough to be mentioned.
    Bosses are a little too few and far between.
    Artstyle is ingenious and great to look at even if it can get messy in some places.
    Great roguelike, ok metroidvania, awesome game.
  19. Jan 20, 2019
    A 2D game that is a big new challenge for gamers. you try to survive and be stronger for next levels. in some levels, this game holds your breath in your chest. you can't review this game with watching its trailers. you must experience it
  20. Jul 26, 2019
    Dead Cells is an amazing mix of metroidvania, roguelike and a little bit of the soulslike formula. The movement in the game is unlike any other in its genre and it feels amazing. The game is fairly challenging and the the boss cell system is an amazing difficulty adjuster. Every area is different from one another and every single enemy feels unique. There is enough weapon variety to keepDead Cells is an amazing mix of metroidvania, roguelike and a little bit of the soulslike formula. The movement in the game is unlike any other in its genre and it feels amazing. The game is fairly challenging and the the boss cell system is an amazing difficulty adjuster. Every area is different from one another and every single enemy feels unique. There is enough weapon variety to keep you engaged for long hours. Expand
  21. Jan 25, 2020
    One of the best Indies games and Games in general that I've played!.
    Graphics: 10/10. Art/Design/: 10/10. Music/Soundtrack: 9/10. Gameplay: 10/10. Story: 8/10 Interface: 10/10 World: 9/10;
    Cutscenes: 9/10
  22. Jul 6, 2019
    I usually don’t like Souls Bourne games, but I saw this one on sale and I figured that if I hated it, I could just request a refund via Steam. What ended up happening was I played it about 5 hours straight through in one sitting. It has a complexity and a charm to it that is amazing. The game is hard, don’t get me wrong but never felt unfair. As someone who is more of a casual gamer, II usually don’t like Souls Bourne games, but I saw this one on sale and I figured that if I hated it, I could just request a refund via Steam. What ended up happening was I played it about 5 hours straight through in one sitting. It has a complexity and a charm to it that is amazing. The game is hard, don’t get me wrong but never felt unfair. As someone who is more of a casual gamer, I play games for fun, not to be challenged but this never felt unbeatable or so frustrating that I couldn’t continue.

The beauty of it is that unlike other roguelike games of this nature, you get to keep some things, anything you unlock is yours. While you really can’t choose a weapon from the beginning, unless you use Custom Game mode which I’ll get into later, the skills you unlock, you keep. What this means is that you won’t defeat everything on your first run. You’ll probably get past the first few areas, thinking it’s not too hard but then get destroyed on the third area.

Yet, what makes this not a bad thing is that each build has its strengths and weaknesses. There are some builds that will make the game easier. There is also a custom game mode which you can edit variables. It doesn’t make it too easy, but you can also choose different starting equipment with this mode and even level it up before the game starts so that can give you a good advantage. Since I’m typically not a hardcore gamer, I used it and even with it, I felt it was challenging but while I experimented with different builds, eventually victory was mine and did it feel good.

The game never felt unfair and that’s the point. It’s challenging but not so that you’ll hate it and give up. I feel anyone who plays video games with average reflexes could beat this. The enemies don’t swarm you; you can easily pace yourself and there are traps you can use to lure the enemies too. If you take your time and think about it before you jump into it, it is a beatable game. The satisfaction of beating a run is great.

If you need more of a challenge, each time you beat the game, you can unlock harder difficulties until I think up to 5 runs. For myself, being more of a casual gamer, it took me about 7 hours until I had the right equipment and strategy that I won the first run. The run itself is short, about an hour or less but the prep getting there will make this game well worth the money.

Don’t be put off by its hard difficulty that’s been advertised. It’s a damn good game with great visuals and a great soundtrack. The story, while very minimalistic was also full of atmosphere. I fully recommend this, even if you’re used to more easier games.
  23. May 5, 2019
    Самый крутой рогалик с офигенным визуальным исполнением за которым можно убить целую кучу времени.
  24. Aug 7, 2018
    Playing for the last few hours, I feel like Dead Cells is the best metroidvania/roguelite combination that can ever exist. The controls are extremely fluid, there is a big list of weapons/skills that make you vary your play-style throughout the run and combat is very satisfying. Although perma-death sounds horrible in a metroidvania, due to procedural level design which gives just thePlaying for the last few hours, I feel like Dead Cells is the best metroidvania/roguelite combination that can ever exist. The controls are extremely fluid, there is a big list of weapons/skills that make you vary your play-style throughout the run and combat is very satisfying. Although perma-death sounds horrible in a metroidvania, due to procedural level design which gives just the right amount of variability, the game makes people want to play one more run. I am really having a blast. Expand
  25. Jun 27, 2020
    S-
    Best 2D action game yet. Combat is precise fluid and fun.
    Recommended.
  26. Oct 2, 2018
    Бесспорно, прорывная игра в своем жанре , отличный пример игры, которая выходит из раннего доступа, качественное смешение жанров метроидвании и рогалика. Разработчики хотели сделать что-то типа дарк соулса в жанре 2д платформера, и у них это получилось.
    В игре приятная рисовка, красивый и достаточно разнообразный сеттинг, саундтрек для каждой локации, который задает темп игре,что наверное вообще прорыв для платформеров, потому что зачастую в них на фоне играет однообразная скукота. Все это создает атмосферность , заинтересованность, и игрок действительно окунается в этот мир.
    Немало здесь и видов оружия и умений, но игра предоставляет возможность игроку не только подбирать себе его на любой вкус(более 50 видов), но также, за счет местного подобия раскачки, выбирать и тактику борьбы с врагами.
    Локаций здесь более , чем 10, каждая с разным дизайном , конечно же, присутствуют и секреты.
    Что касается сложности, то действительно доставляет проблемы только последний из 3 боссов , после десятка часов геймплея уже привыкаешь и не особо испытываешь проблем.
    Сама по себе игра пока (теоретически контент еще может добавляться) проходится полностью примерно за полтора часа, но при этом ее можно перепройти 4 раза с усложнениями, и каждое усложнение еще немного обновляет геймплей, добавляя новые функции и возможности.
    Из минусов-не очень большое количества контента,а именно: всего три босса за одно полное прохождение и недостаточное количество монстров на всю игру, поэтому и 9.
    Конечно же , может и поднадоесть постоянно бегать по одним и тем же локациям, но в нее лучше не играть по 10 часов подряд.
    Как итог, это творение в жанре платформера близко к шедевру и заслуженно входит в список лучших игр за 2018 год
  27. Oct 20, 2018
    Dead Cells mistura elementos de dois gêneros que começam a supersaturar para criar seu próprio gênero: o roguevania, oferecendo uma originalidade revigorante. Todos os seus aspectos muito bem executados criam uma experiência como nenhuma outra.
  28. Jan 19, 2020
    A proposta do jogo é interessante e funciona bem. Exigindo um nível de skill mediano, uma boa mente para aprendizados e paciência para explorar o mapa e recomeçar quase que do zero.
    Porém, há seus malefícios. A gameplay é muito viciante, acontece que morrer próximo ao final do jogo é frustante, e como qualquer jogo, a gameplay enjoa uma hora. Se você gosta de um desafio e não se importa em perder algum tempo re e re-jogando algo, você vai amar e muito esse jogo.
    O gráficos são bonitos, num estilo PixelArt pra deixar qualquer um louco. Inclusive, jogar a 144hz é uma experiencia muito gratificante.
    A gameplay é diversa, com uma grande variedade de lugares a explorar e uma boa quantidade de armas. A OST não decepciona, mas passa despercebida na maioria das vezes.
  29. May 26, 2019
    A great game. It plays extremely well, great mechanics and smooth animations, and a lot of replayability
  30. May 30, 2019
    The game is great if you don't know whether to buy or not? What are you waiting for? Go buy it. She's good at everything. First, the gameplay for Bagel and metroidvania is very dynamic. There are throws, dodges, double jumps, punches, block, parry, stun and other abilities that open after finding runes. Secondly, the graphics here are simply divine for the platformer genre. Third, theThe game is great if you don't know whether to buy or not? What are you waiting for? Go buy it. She's good at everything. First, the gameplay for Bagel and metroidvania is very dynamic. There are throws, dodges, double jumps, punches, block, parry, stun and other abilities that open after finding runes. Secondly, the graphics here are simply divine for the platformer genre. Third, the generation of levels is a random method, and their connectivity is amazing, it took me many hours to remember every location in this game. Fourth, the enemies here, as well as the levels are varied, each of them has its own specific flavor. Bosses here is extremely small, even with DLC, but each of them is well remembered, but the approach to everything is simple, because they have similar boevki. Fifth, the complexity is decent and grows with the progress of the player, but sometimes when you move to other locations, it can change, and significantly. In total, there are 6 levels of difficulty, but for this Narottama need to collect the cells of the final boss. Seventh, there is a huge amount of weapons, equipment, if you list it all, and 30 minutes is not enough. Eighth, there is no plot, but rather LOR, which is told in parts, it does not oblige him to understand, I began to understand it only up to 5 passage. Ninth, the soundtrack in this game is just great. Summing up I would like to say, though there are small shoals, but their 1 or even 5 passage is not noticeable, and even more so do not interfere with enjoy the game. It is clear that the game has all hopes to remain successful in the future, well, at least I hope. Expand
  31. May 11, 2020
    Perfect for those looking for a fast, hard, satisfying, and most importantly: fun Roguevania game.

The movement and combat of this game are absolutely incredible, the enemies are original and fit the game and its levels, and every moment feels extremely satisfying, especially when you learn how to overcome the difficulty of the game and finally get further than you could last time.

In spite of that, i wish there was more lore and character development, even though it's understandable that this wasn't the main focus of the game.

Overall a very fun and satisfying experience.
  32. Aug 29, 2019
    Dead cells is a very enjoyable yet challenging 2d platformer game. The art style is incredible along with the creatively designed monsters you face whilst traversing through the game. The most interesting feature is the way that the progression system works; once you die you restart from the very beginning of the game yet you unlock new items on each run so that the more you play theDead cells is a very enjoyable yet challenging 2d platformer game. The art style is incredible along with the creatively designed monsters you face whilst traversing through the game. The most interesting feature is the way that the progression system works; once you die you restart from the very beginning of the game yet you unlock new items on each run so that the more you play the easier the game becomes. However by no means is the game easy, to be able to beat the game on 5 cell mode (the hardest difficulty) you must be very comfortable with the mechanics and be very aware on how each monster functions. Personally I highly recommend this game and is probably one of my favourite games I've every played, Dead Cells is a game that everyone deserves to play at least once. Expand
  33. Sep 16, 2019
    Desafiante y muy adictivo. Al principio podrá sentirse un poco frustrante, pero a pesar de todo no se siente repetitivo, y es bastante satisfactorio sentir como cada vez vas adquiriendo más experiencia (literalmente), perfeccionado el uso de las habilidades y armás, viendo cuales más se adaptan a tí. Los enemigos son variados y se siente el aumento de la dificultad de estos mientras másDesafiante y muy adictivo. Al principio podrá sentirse un poco frustrante, pero a pesar de todo no se siente repetitivo, y es bastante satisfactorio sentir como cada vez vas adquiriendo más experiencia (literalmente), perfeccionado el uso de las habilidades y armás, viendo cuales más se adaptan a tí. Los enemigos son variados y se siente el aumento de la dificultad de estos mientras más avanzas , no son predecibles, por lo que no por lo que tendrás que aprender nuevas formas de enfrentarlos cada vez. Totalmente recomendado! Expand
  34. Oct 30, 2019
    It really stands out from the crouds of pixel art games we have last years.
    Absolutely worth it.
  35. Nov 6, 2019
    I love this game even if I feel it has a few flaws with the progression and combat. First off, it's not a Metroidvania. Its more like a Castlevania game mashed with Dark Souls aesthetic and the progression of a roguelike. This game's pixel art is amazing, with so much detail that its honesty stunning at times, espessially the backgrounds. There's not much to exploring the world beyondI love this game even if I feel it has a few flaws with the progression and combat. First off, it's not a Metroidvania. Its more like a Castlevania game mashed with Dark Souls aesthetic and the progression of a roguelike. This game's pixel art is amazing, with so much detail that its honesty stunning at times, espessially the backgrounds. There's not much to exploring the world beyond getting more gold and cells, its more about getting to the next doorway and killing all those who oppose your journey. When you die, you go all the way back to the beginning and loose all currency and weapons on you. If you don't like to die a lot in video games, don't get this one. Dying is necessary in this game, and its basically how you get stronger. I feel this is where the game falters a little bit, it would be nice if you started back after the last boss, rather than the very beginning of the game, that way it doesn't feel as grindy and repetitive. That's basically my only complaint because, honestly, this game is amazing. Totally worth a buy, especially if you love roguelikes and hack-n-slashes. Expand
  36. Nov 18, 2019
    Una gran sorpresa, teniendo en cuenta que fue el primer "roguelike" al que me enfrenté.
    Meterte en esa espiral de muerte, en la que cada paso que das te hace mejor , aprendes de cada muerte y las pocas concesiones que te hace el juego, crea una tensión única y creciente conforme va creciendo tu build.
    Mención a parte para el gran trabajo artístico, el "pixelart" su frenetismo y la precisión de su jugabilidad.
    Compra imprescindible para los amantes de este tipo de juegos.

*Puntuación con respecto al panorama independiente
  37. Feb 19, 2020
    very good game but for those who like repeating it over and over, for me it more like a brake between AAA games. its impossible to spend even few hours per week playing it.
  38. Jan 31, 2020
    This game is what I always wanted on a rogue-like: a fair amount of randomness, and a very nice amount of set rules.

Dead Cells has great (really great) controls, very nice looks (always subjective ofc), decent soundtrack and lots of replayability. There is a lot of random weapons to unlock, some permanent unlocks that make the game easier and give a sense of progress. The learning curve feels great for the first difficulty.

The only negative I can thing of is that at a certain point in difficulty, the final boss becomes way too hard compared to reaching it, making it some kind of impassable progress point.

If you like a 2D game with action, great controls, nice pace and even if you don't like some rogue-likes give this one a try. Feels more like the old rogue legacy in terms of progress, although for different reasons.
  39. Mar 11, 2020
    I just want to raise the rating of this game on this site... Carl! Where are my nuggets?
  40. Mar 25, 2020
    These feels when you have the best weapons but you died from the curse...Its AMAZING!
  41. May 31, 2020
    死亡细胞的创新有余,尝试大胆。动作双子一定研究超久2D游戏的动作反馈和打击感才能这么自信。恶魔城元素与魂味动作元素的结合足够酷炫。非常可惜做成了roguelite游戏,独有的一股腻味劲儿使它无法成为大众认可的作品。游戏中存在逼肝和强迫超高难度通关的设计师教你玩游戏恶心要素,在第一次加大难度过后,枯燥重复又高难度的游戏体验让我感觉后面只是在浪费我的时间。——仇败,评分85/100(精良品质游戏)死亡细胞的创新有余,尝试大胆。动作双子一定研究超久2D游戏的动作反馈和打击感才能这么自信。恶魔城元素与魂味动作元素的结合足够酷炫。非常可惜做成了roguelite游戏,独有的一股腻味劲儿使它无法成为大众认可的作品。游戏中存在逼肝和强迫超高难度通关的设计师教你玩游戏恶心要素,在第一次加大难度过后,枯燥重复又高难度的游戏体验让我感觉后面只是在浪费我的时间。——仇败,评分85/100(精良品质游戏)
  42. Jun 21, 2020
    Replayable fast platformer with challenging bosses. Works perfect on Ubuntu 18.04. Notebook with Intel® HD Graphics 4400 is enough.
  43. Jun 22, 2020
    I love the fluidity of the movements and the ridiculous amount of item and skill combinations.
  44. Jun 29, 2020
    A run in Dead Cells can take a long time, but when I die I still want to go straight back in and try again. The art and animations are so refined. One of my favorite indie games of all time.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 34 Critic Reviews

1. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Dec 31, 2018
    Dead Cells is an adrenaline duty for every player. It gets you not only with a beautifully crafted dark world and countless weapons, but mostly with elaborated gameplay. [Issue#288]
  2. Sep 27, 2018
    As one of the best 2D action games to date, Dead Cells is a game people will be talking about for a long time. A true masterpiece.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Sep 26, 2018
    Combat is very satisfying: strikes have proper weight behind them, hitboxes are where you expect them to be and controls are very responsive. Procedural generation, on the other hand, leaves much to be desired: from playthrough to playthrough, levels feel too similar. [Issue#232, p.68]